18. Richmond Spiders 6-4 1,118 21
19. Massachusetts Minutemen 6-4 1,052 14
20. Jacksonville Dolphins 10-1 983 22
21. Liberty Flames 7-3 902 12
22. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 8-2 608 NR
23. Cal Poly Mustangs 7-4 338 19
24. Dayton Flyers 10-1 336 NR
25. Grambling State Tigers 8-2 287 20

Others receiving votes: Georgia Southern 263, James Madison 253, Chattanooga 183, McNeese State 183, Texas Southern 136, Western Illinois 123, Robert Morris 110, Sacramento State 105, Florida A&M 81, Jackson State 78, Southern Utah 73, Weber State 57, Yale 54, Old Dominion 30, Indiana State 18, Eastern Kentucky 14, Elon 12, Harvard 7, Southern Illinois 7, Northern Arizona 6, Coastal Carolina 5, Furman 5, UC Davis 5, Stony Brook 3, Bryant 2, Illinois State 2, Murray State 11, Central Connecticut State 1, Alabama State 1, Colgate 1, Drake 1, Brown 1.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

EdubAlum
November 15th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Go EAGS!

Sycamore51
November 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM
How in the world is a Souther Illinois team, at 4-6 and 3-4 in the MVFC, getting 7 votes?

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hilarious that both Dayton and Jacksonville are in this poll and Georgia Southern isn't. What a complete joke. I won't even get into a MEAC team receiving four first place votes or another MEAC team being ahead of the MVFC champ.

smallcollegefbfan
November 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM
How in the world is a Souther Illinois team, at 4-6 and 3-4 in the MVFC, getting 7 votes?

Another puzzling thing is that Grambling and Dayton are being voted ahead of Georgia Southern and JMU. I have JMU 23rd and Georgia Southern 20th right now. JMU beat the #1 team and is 5-5 in a very tough CAA. Grambling should have dropped out of the 25. Georgia Southern is playing very well right now with a win over #2 App State and taking care of business again this week with a 6-4 record. They played Navy tough and to be honest had they not hiccuped against Samford I would have them around 15 or 16.

R.A.
November 15th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hilarious that both Dayton and Jacksonville are in this poll and Georgia Southern isn't. What a complete joke. I won't even get into a MEAC team receiving four first place votes or another MEAC team being ahead of the MVFC champ.

Your squad almost lost to a below average MEAC squad AT HOME in the Fargo Dome.

SC State dominated the same squad from start to finish, ON THE ROAD.

SO, if you're willing to say that a MEAC doesn't deserve any first place votes, are you also willing to say that the NDSU Bison(s) aren't as strong as their position currently also??

Humble Steward
November 15th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Let's Go Wildcats!!! 10-0 and 1 to go. Let's stay in the moment and win the MEAC outright.

Next up: Florida A&M University

Just Win Baby!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Lehigh is back in the Top 25! xsmileyclapx

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 12:08 PM

SO, if you're willing to say that a MEAC doesn't deserve any first place votes, are you also willing to say that the NDSU Bison(s) aren't as strong as their position currently also??

NDSU isn't the MVFC champ, UNI is. I never mentioned NDSU in my critique of the poll. I mentioned SCSU being ahead of UNI which is garbage and BC-U getting first place votes which again is garbage.

I wouldn't use SCSU's game vs Morgan to prop them up anyway. It was an ugly game. Much like the game at the Fargodome was ugly, thing is NDSU actually has a solid SOS and a quality win vs a Big 12 school. So reach all day long if you want about beating Morgan State on the road, it really does nothing for me.

asknoquarter21
November 15th, 2010, 12:09 PM
23-25 is a joke

It was like they just took who they ranked last week and left them in the top 25 almost like those were the only options.

GSU, JMU and UTC have to be in this poll as all 3 could be playoff teams

gophoenix
November 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Wow at the CAA love.... how many -4 teams can be ranked? Yet, UTC, GSU and Elon are all out; despite the resumes and how the losses stack up.

R.A.
November 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM
SC State must have impressed some of the voters on Thursday Night... moving up three spaces is very good. If SC State has a very convincing win versus A&T this Saturday, the Bulldogs might just be in the top ten for the final regular season ranking.

R.A.
November 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM
NDSU isn't the MVFC champ, UNI is. I never mentioned NDSU in my critique of the poll. I mentioned SCSU being ahead of UNI which is garbage and BC-U getting first place votes which again is garbage.

I wouldn't use SCSU's game vs Morgan to prop them in anyway. It was an ugly game. Much like the game at the Fargodome was ugly, thing is NDSU actually has a solid SOS and a quality win vs a Big 12 school. So reach all day long if you want about beating Morgan State on the road, it really does nothing for me.

Didn't have to reach far... common opponents.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Didn't have to reach far... common opponents.

Common opponents for teams that don't play a common schedule is a tremendous reach.

JMU beat Va Tech, if we want to go by your logic they would win the ACC.

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Wow at the CAA love.... how many -4 teams can be ranked? Yet, UTC, GSU and Elon are all out; despite the resumes and how the losses stack up.

UTC and GSU should be ranked, but Elon at 4-5 in Division 1?

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 12:19 PM
23-25 is a joke

It was like they just took who they ranked last week and left them in the top 25 almost like those were the only options.

GSU, JMU and UTC have to be in this poll as all 3 could be playoff teams

JMU has no chance of the playoffs. None. The other two, sure.

appfan2008
November 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM
the caa 4 loss teams are just too high while the socon 4 loss teams get no love whatsoever...

R.A.
November 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM
JMU WOULD WIN THE ACC. Lol!

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2010, 12:24 PM
A win on saturday should put chattanooga ahead of georgia southern and wofford in the playoff pecking order. It probably wont though.

eaglesrback
November 15th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Another puzzling thing is that Grambling and Dayton are being voted ahead of Georgia Southern and JMU. I have JMU 23rd and Georgia Southern 20th right now. JMU beat the #1 team and is 5-5 in a very tough CAA. Grambling should have dropped out of the 25. Georgia Southern is playing very well right now with a win over ****(#1) App State and taking care of business again this week with a 6-4 record. They played Navy tough and to be honest had they not hiccuped against Samford I would have them around 15 or 16.

Agreed 100%. poll is a joke.(By the way, fixed it for you.)

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 12:30 PM
the caa 4 loss teams are just too high while the socon 4 loss teams get no love whatsoever...

The CAA 4-loss and SoCon 4-loss teams should all be ranked. I think I had them all clumped together.

gsugt1
November 15th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I agree about the CAA teams and the poll. Montana @ 7-3 near top 10 ?

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
They wont be after saturday.

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2010, 12:40 PM

I would stack JMU's resume against UTC, GSU and Elon. With the possible exception of GSU, none of those teams have the wins we do and UTC and GSU have worse losses than we do.

We are eighth in the CAA.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2010, 12:43 PM
UTC has 1 loss that could be considered worse than yours and the other 3 are as good of losses as you can get.

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM
UTC has 1 loss that could be considered worse than yours and the other 3 are as good of losses as you can get.

Okay. Now compare wins.

EDIT: By the way, I'm in no way saying that JMU is a lock for Top 25 or anything like that, but if we're going to be throwing out the "r" word then I think we need to look at the whole picture.

aceinthehole
November 15th, 2010, 12:51 PM

I've been saying this for weeks - the MEAC teams are highly overrated!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Looking at this poll more closely - are there some shenanigans going on? Both Dayton and Jacksonville IN THE TOP 25 over UNRANKED Georgia Southern, who has a win that easily eclipses anything that either team has done on the field this year?

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Okay now look at conference record.

Fear the Bird
November 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
chattown - who are the 6 top 20 teams you played in conference this year? And you won your top 15 FBS contest or lost by 40?

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Okay now look at conference record.

If your fall back is conference record, then we're all in a world of hurt. See Dayton and Jacksonville.

And actually our conference record helps to prove my point. My original point was that somebody was complaining that the CAA was too high and that UTC, GSU and Elon should be getting some love but JMU is eighth in the CAA and I would put our overall resume up against any of those three teams.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM

35-9 is almost losing? Or is this another one of those "real score/moral victory" things?

X-Factor
November 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM

Almost lost? Who are you joking? 35-9

There is no way you can put the MEAC on par with the CAA, Big Sky, Southern, MVFC, etc. It is a weak conference year-in year-out.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2010, 01:33 PM
If your fall back is conference record, then we're all in a world of hurt. See Dayton and Jacksonville.

And actually our conference record helps to prove my point. My original point was that somebody was complaining that the CAA was too high and that UTC, GSU and Elon should be getting some love but JMU is eighth in the CAA and I would put our overall resume up against any of those three teams.

So what is your point? That losing in a great conference is better than winning in a mere good 1?

gophoenix
November 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM

I didn't complain about the CAA, I complained about the lack of SoCon. JMU 8th in conference, big deal. And that's the deal to me.

Elon:
FBS loss, last second loss to top 10 Wofford, 3 point loss to number 1 App, OT loss to your ranked team in Richmond. Let alone UTC or GSU at this point.

The deal is, you are falling back on ranked games. it is easy to say you have ranked games when somehow everyone in the conference is somehow ranked..... JMU won at Tech and over Liberty, other than the only other quality CAA is Richmond over Elon. There isn't another marquee win in the whole conference to justify 8 teams from one conference being ranked when compared with the SoCon or MVFC.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
JMU won at Tech and over Liberty, other than the only other quality CAA is Richmond over Elon. There isn't another marquee win in the whole conference to justify 8 teams from one conference being ranked when compared with the SoCon or MVFC.

Of course, the SoCon and MVFC don't have OOC wins to prove anything either...

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I didn't complain about the CAA, I complained about the lack of SoCon. JMU 8th in conference, big deal. And that's the deal to me.

Elon:
FBS loss, last second loss to top 10 Wofford, 3 point loss to number 1 App, OT loss to your ranked team in Richmond. Let alone UTC or GSU at this point.

The deal is, you are falling back on ranked games. it is easy to say you have ranked games when somehow everyone in the conference is somehow ranked..... JMU won at Tech and over Liberty, other than the only other quality CAA is Richmond over Elon. There isn't another marquee win in the whole conference to justify 8 teams from one conference being ranked when compared with the SoCon or MVFC.

Elon is 4-5. Please stop.

There are only 6 CAA teams ranked, not 8. All of them having winning records. 4 SoCon teams should be ranked. Elon is not one of them.

R.A.
November 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
35-9 is almost losing? Or is this another one of those "real score/moral victory" things?

21 point fourth quarter to put the game away... but competitive through three quarters. You let a lower ranked MEAC Squad, take you into the fourth quarter AT HOME??

R.A.
November 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Almost lost? Who are you joking? 35-9

There is no way you can put the MEAC on par with the CAA, Big Sky, Southern, MVFC, etc. It is a weak conference year-in year-out.

I'm putting a lower ranked MEAC squad on par with NDSU...

401ks
November 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM
xcoffeex

"The TSN Poll sucks!"

"The TSN Poll voters are idiots!!"

"How did THAT team get votes?!!"

"Why isn't THAT (my) team ranked higher??"

"THAT team is too high!"

"THAT team is too low!"

xdeadhorsex

(Please feel free to cut-and-paste this into any TSN Poll thread.) xsmiley_wix

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
21 point fourth quarter to put the game away... but competitive through three quarters. You let a lower ranked MEAC Squad, take you into the fourth quarter AT HOME??

Last time I checked we play an 11 game schedule all vs DI teams. Morgan State doesn't define our season, but keep on reaching MEAC fans for anything to give your teams credibility....

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM

Think what you want but there's a reason why games are 60 minutes long. I don't subscribe to the theory that 21 points in the 1st quarter of a close game are worth more than 21 points in the 4th quarter of a close game.

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 02:29 PM
You MEAC supporters almost won this argument, but logic and reason prevailed by 26 in the end.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2010, 02:33 PM

They're 8-0 in FCS OOC. One of them has a win over Elon, who people are whining about. It's clear that the voters think these teams are just a victim of a very good conference (which every number, everywhere, supports). How people think other 4 loss teams are on par with these is really beyond me.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
They're 8-0 in FCS OOC. One of them has a win over Elon, who people are whining about. It's clear that the voters think these teams are just a victim of a very good conference (which every number, everywhere, supports). How people think other 4 loss teams are on par with these is really beyond me.

Maybe because elon isnt even one of these 4 loss teams and it took richmond overtime to beat them.

scsudawg2007
November 15th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'm putting a lower ranked MEAC squad on par with NDSU...

Hey Bro..it dosen't even make any sense to go back and forth with anyone on here about where any MEAC school. Let's just let the selection committee and the voters handle this debate. Because they are going to always down talk teams that they have no clue about at all because they think that just because the bottom teams are down that the ones on the top are too. The fact is if the MEAC gets 2 teams in this year and 1 happens to make it to the semi-finals and one to the finals these same people would be on here next year saying the same exact thing. So let them talk..The game is played on the field. And hopefully the playoff committee will give the folks who are saying we are ranked to high a chance for their respective schools to prove them right. I really hope so..

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks this poll is the best one this week. .xlolx

I did drop Grambling way down in my AGS rankings this week, however. Not because of the loss, but because of the way they lost. TSU scored 24 unanswered points to beat them.

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Of course, the SoCon and MVFC don't have OOC wins to prove anything either...

And the teams people are *****ing about not being in don't have any quality wins in conference except for GSU, which should definitely be in there.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hey Bro..it dosen't even make any sense to go back and forth with anyone on here about where any MEAC school. Let's just let the selection committee and the voters handle this debate. Because they are going to always down talk teams that they have no clue about at all because they think that just because the bottom teams are down that the ones on the top are too. The fact is if the MEAC gets 2 teams in this year and 1 happens to make it to the semi-finals and one to the finals these same people would be on here next year saying the same exact thing. So let them talk..The game is played on the field. And hopefully the playoff committee will give the folks who are saying we are ranked to high a chance for their respective schools to prove them right. I really hope so..

Hey, it's all what you've done for us lately. There's a reason why people talk down about MEAC teams - the same reason they talk down Patriot League teams and OVC teams and non-Montana Big Sky teams and increasingly Southland teams - if you go several years without wins in the playoffs, in some cases any wins, it will look poorly on teams from those conferences. Can't get around results and those conferences have been lacking in results on the post season stage. The CAA/Yankee Conference was in the same boat for years, and they got dismissed in conversations like these. Suddenly go on a tear of multiple national titles and big wins in the playoffs and people are talking about how many 7-4 CAA teams should get into the playoffs. Reputation, especially that made by playoff history, does matter.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM
And the teams people are *****ing about not being in don't have any quality wins in conference except for GSU, which should definitely be in there.

Preaching to the choir, man, I absolutely agree.

GSUhooligan
November 15th, 2010, 03:34 PM

If GSU should definitely be in there, then wouldn't UT-C's win over GSU be considered quality?

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Welcome to AGS, buddy....er, Buddy. If the MEAC puts two teams in the final four this conversation will absolutely not happen next year so no need for the hyperbole in your first ever post. If they get two teams to the final four, I will also eat a bowl of live crickets and document it.

Were you at Hampton in '05? Remember the 3 seeded Pirates who got smoked 38-10 at home? That's the last time the " overrated MEAC" discussions were so heated going into the playoffs. So pardon our jaded attitudes about MEAC teams always being ranked in the polls higher than their resumes deserve. Always

SpeedkingATL
November 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Elon is 4-5. Please stop.

There are only 6 CAA teams ranked, not 8. All of them having winning records. 4 SoCon teams should be ranked. Elon is not one of them.

+1

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 03:41 PM
1. I am glad I am not on this year's selection committee. It's a tough job indeed.

2. Just letting you know now, some of you all that have been harping on the meac being overrated, will be pissed come Sunday Afternoon. xsmiley_wix

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM
1. I am glad I am not on this year's selection committee. It's a tough job indeed.

2. Just letting you know now, some of you all that have been harping on the meac being overrated, will be pissed come Sunday Afternoon. xsmiley_wix

Actually some folks are just trolling at this point in the season.

scsudawg2007
November 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Welcome to AGS, buddy....er, Buddy. If the MEAC puts two teams in the final four this conversation will absolutely not happen next year so no need for the hyperbole in your first ever post. If they get two teams to the final four, I will also eat a bowl of live crickets and document it.

Were you at Hampton in '05? Remember the 3 seeded Pirates who got smoked 38-10 at home? That's the last time the " overrated MEAC" discussions were so heated going into the playoffs. So pardon our jaded attitudes about MEAC teams always being ranked in the polls higher than their resumes deserve. Always

Thank you for the welcome Mac...and yes I do remember that one but 2005 has nothing to do with 2010..that Hampton team was and is not the 2010 version of BC-U..or 2010 SCSU...so it is what it is. Like I said before I'm not going to have a heated discussion. I am going to sit back watch all the opinions of the respective guys on this message board and wait to see what the selection committe decides. Because quite frankly those are the only opinions that matter come Sunday at 10:00 am. BTW good luck to Richmond this week if you guys beat W&M you probally will be in the field of 20.

THE HERD
November 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM

I wouldn't use SCSU's game vs Morgan to prop them up anyway. It was an ugly game. Much like the game at the Fargodome was ugly, thing is NDSU actually has a solid SOS and a quality win vs a Big 12 school. So reach all day long if you want about beating Morgan State on the road, it really does nothing for me.

Didn't we beat Morgan St. something like 30 something to 9 or am I thinking of another game. If so I would not call that almost losing to a average MEAC squad. I gotta go look it up now.....I"ll be back.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Didn't we beat Morgan St. something like 30 something to 9 or am I thinking of another game. If so I would not call that almost losing to a average MEAC squad. I gotta go look it up now.....I"ll be back.

Actually the game was pretty even until half way in the 3rd and the wheels fell from underneath Morgan State. Both teams were searching for an offense but Morgan was just more inept on that side of the ball.

Based on the eye test, I'd take Bethune over NDSU, on a neutral field by 10+.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Actually some folks are just trolling at this point in the season.

Hi FCS Playoff Selection Committee!

THE HERD
November 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM

The Bison put a beat down on Morgan St. 35-9! Where I come from that is not almost losing......that is pretty much domination.

scsudawg2007
November 15th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Hey, it's all what you've done for us lately. There's a reason why people talk down about MEAC teams - the same reason they talk down Patriot League teams and OVC teams and non-Montana Big Sky teams and increasingly Southland teams - if you go several years without wins in the playoffs, in some cases any wins, it will look poorly on teams from those conferences. Can't get around results and those conferences have been lacking in results on the post season stage. The CAA/Yankee Conference was in the same boat for years, and they got dismissed in conversations like these. Suddenly go on a tear of multiple national titles and big wins in the playoffs and people are talking about how many 7-4 CAA teams should get into the playoffs. Reputation, especially that made by playoff history, does matter.

Hey Bro. I realize that which is why I made that statement it is no need to argue because the bottom line is that if the committee sees fit to have two representatives from the MEAC in the playoffs then we will have our shot to show why we belong once again. My only argument is that you can't say a team would not fair well against other teams because their conference is down. Pretty much the same argument that Boise St. and TCU are dealing with the MEAC is dealing with..my alma mater SCSU has only lost 7 games in 3 years...4 to fbs schools 1 conference game to an undefeated BC-U and two in the playoffs to a ASU team that in 08 was I believe the #1 seed..and a ASU team in 09 that went to the Semi-finals..We have been consistent..on the field and in recruiting having the #2 class in 2010...but people still got issues with us being ranked a certain place...so I say we shall wait until the playoffs and if the committee sees fit to give us a bid I know they guys will do all they can to change some perception of us and our league.

eaglesrback
November 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Huh?? What have ya done lately??Georgia Southern beats #1 ranked appy a couple of weeks ago, Appy drops a couple of spots, and Southern is not even ranked?? Playoff history? PUHLEZZE?

eaglesrback
November 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Huh?? What have ya done lately??Georgia Southern beats #1 ranked appy a couple of weeks ago, Appy drops a couple of spots, and Southern is not even ranked?? Playoff history? PUHLEZZE?

It's also apparent that it helps to have a CAA INSIDER AS HEAD OF THE "COMMITTE".

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM
The Bison put a beat down on Morgan St. 35-9! Where I come from that is not almost losing......that is pretty much domination.

Most of those points the bison scored were in the 4th qtr. The 1st half was pretty even with the bison having a 5 pt lead at that point. You can't say that game was a total domination of sorts. It was more like The Bears self-imploding.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Well, you guys have pretty much been .500 all year, your playoff history stopped back in 2002 (your last playoff win), and the week before knocking off Appy you lost at home to Samford. It's not the crime of the century that your #26 versus #22.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Well, you guys have pretty much been .500 all year, your playoff history stopped back in 2002 (your last playoff win), and the week before knocking off Appy you lost at home to Samford. It's not the crime of the century that your #26 versus #22.

Are you on this committee?

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Hey Bro. I realize that which is why I made that statement it is no need to argue because the bottom line is that if the committee sees fit to have two representatives from the MEAC in the playoffs then we will have our shot to show why we belong once again. My only argument is that you can't say a team would not fair well against other teams because their conference is down. Pretty much the same argument that Boise St. and TCU are dealing with the MEAC is dealing with..my alma mater SCSU has only lost 7 games in 3 years...4 to fbs schools 1 conference game to an undefeated BC-U and two in the playoffs to a ASU team that in 08 was I believe the #1 seed..and a ASU team in 09 that went to the Semi-finals..We have been consistent..on the field and in recruiting having the #2 class in 2010...but people still got issues with us being ranked a certain place...so I say we shall wait until the playoffs and if the committee sees fit to give us a bid I know they guys will do all they can to change some perception of us and our league.

And all I was saying was the same - prove to people on the field in the playoffs (which for the most is the best time to compare conferences since there's so little interplay during the year) that the MEAC is more than a doormat and perceptions change. Close losses don't amount to much when they just get added to a long string of losses. I've got no problem with the MEAC getting two teams in this year, but I also don't have a problem with people talking down about the MEAC - until they start winning in the playoffs then there isn't a reason to talk otherwise.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Are you on this committee?

Are you?

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM

That doesnt even make any sense. If GSU should be in there, than how is beating them not a quality win?

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Are you?

xlolx

JUDolphins
November 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Saying the MEAC is like Boise and TCU is a load of crap. The MEAC has an automatic bid - and they've gotten drilled most of the time in the first round the last decade.

Jacksonville is like Boise and TCU - no automatic bid, high ranking, team deserving of going to the playoffs but fighting a major bias by the "big boys" of the FCS who don't want to see a non-scholarship team get its shot.

achrist70
November 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I am a little scared, Bison fans are defending UNI, and saying they should be ranked higher.

But seriously UNI should be a top 10 team, their losses were early, and they are a completely different team now.

UNIFanSince1983
November 15th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Most of those points the bison scored were in the 4th qtr. The 1st half was pretty even with the bison having a 5 pt lead at that point. You can't say that game was a total domination of sorts. It was more like The Bears self-imploding.

Fact of the matter is if B-C or SCST get big wins in the playoffs they will get the respect they deserve.

But I do not buy the fact that you almost lose because you score 21 points in the 4th quarter. That just proves they were that much better than Morgan State. Really if we are doing a common opponent, and you are discounting 21 points that are scored in the 4th quarter then we should use some transitive properties. SCST lost to GT by 31 points while NDSU beat Kansas. Kansas in turn beat GT.

Now see how silly that sounds? Turns out NDSU and SCST beat Morgan State by about the same amount of points. This means to me they are fairly similar. Obviously they were played on different circumstances, but does that mean SCST is 5 spots better than NDSU? I have a hard time believing that.

No need to argue about rankings because we get to settle this on the field.

bigchocolate
November 15th, 2010, 04:31 PM

History and its interputation is very important. The MEAC conference share the same footprint as the SoCon and CAA and these conferences have been very strong the last decade (check # of NC). If the MEAC champion is paired with the #1 or #2 rank teams from the previously mentioned conferences their win percentage should be extremely low as would any of the other conferences reps who frequent this board if place in the same situation. The top MEAC teams will show well in this years playoffs...I certainly hope so anyway.

NDB
November 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Actually the game was pretty even until half way in the 3rd and the wheels fell from underneath Morgan State. Both teams were searching for an offense but Morgan was just more inept on that side of the ball.

Based on the eye test, I'd take Bethune over NDSU, on a neutral field by 10+.

I'd put $1,000 on that bet.

scsudawg2007
November 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Saying the MEAC is like Boise and TCU is a load of crap. The MEAC has an automatic bid - and they've gotten drilled most of the time in the first round the last decade.

Jacksonville is like Boise and TCU - no automatic bid, high ranking, team deserving of going to the playoffs but fighting a major bias by the "big boys" of the FCS who don't want to see a non-scholarship team get its shot.

Well Jacksonville got their shot and got DRILLED to a tune of 45-14 just this year..and you are complaining because why??..how bout you write a letter to your AD and set up a game with SCSU and or ride down to Daytona and take on BC-U and you will get DRILLED by two MEAC schools

bigchocolate
November 15th, 2010, 04:37 PM

The Pirates had a nice team that year but don't act like you don't remember how special the 05' Richmond team was. They probably could have handled most of the seeded teams that year.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM
History and its interputation is very important. The MEAC conference share the same footprint as the SoCon and CAA and these conferences have been very strong the last decade (check # of NC). If the MEAC champion is paired with the #1 or #2 rank teams from the previously mentioned conferences their win percentage should be extremely low as would any of the other conferences reps who frequent this board if place in the same situation. The top MEAC teams will show well in this years playoffs...I certainly hope so anyway.

And in 3 of the last 5 years the MEAC rep has lost to a team that went on to lose in the very next round. And really, winning in the playoffs is all about beating good teams, so it's hard to rely on the "we'll, we lost to a good team" mantra when everyone can say that. On the bright side, with the advent of an extra round this year, teams from hard time conferences like the OVC and Patriot and MEAC will likely get a chance to play each other, and as such, end real long losing streaks stretching longer than a decade for some.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
The Pirates had a nice team that year but don't act like you don't remember how special the 05' Richmond team was. They probably could have handled most of the seeded teams that year.

Wasn't Richmond 8-3 that year and didn't they lose in the very next round to Furman? There was at least one seeded team they couldn't handle.

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Well Jacksonville got their shot and got DRILLED to a tune of 45-14 just this year..and you are complaining because why??..how bout you write a letter to your AD and set up a game with SCSU and or ride down to Daytona and take on BC-U and you will get DRILLED by two MEAC schools

I don't think Jacksonville got drilled by Appalachian this year. The final score is misleading and they actually gave us a game. It was a 3 point game until halfway through the 3rd quarter when we began to pull away.

JMad03
November 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah, the '05 Richmond team was so special they lost in the next round to Furman(an unseeded team). If Hampton was just a "nice" team, then why were they seeded?

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I don't think Jacksonville got drilled by Appalachian this year. The final score is misleading and they actually gave us a game. It was a 3 point game until halfway through the 3rd quarter when we began to pull away.

So you've witnessed both teams.. .and the results against App were similar. Who would you advance to the playoff if forced to choose: Jacksonville or Wofford?

blukeys
November 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxl maoxxlmaox

LMAO

It is back to 2007 and we are still getting the same lame arguments from the PFL crowd. Gosh where have the San Diego Torreros posters gone???? They were so prevalent back in 2007 and they were saying THE EXACT SAME THING.xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Now we get Jacksonville instead. The more things change the more they stay the same.

For PFL posters just cut and paste from the archives the San Diego posters arguments from 2007. It will save you time and energy. It means as much now as then.

JUDolphins
November 15th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Why should we just come to SCS or BCU? Why don't you guys sign up for a home-and-home with JU?

JUDolphins
November 15th, 2010, 04:58 PM
The difference between then and now is that there are 20 teams...10 at-large bids...and two of those (NEC and Big South) are teams that the PFL has competed with and in the case of the NEC, beaten, in the last few years.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM
So you've witnessed both teams.. .and the results against App were similar. Who would you advance to the playoff if forced to choose: Jacksonville or Wofford?

Wofford no question. I'd also take UTC, GSU, Elon, Furman, and Samford before JU.

Wofford ran into a focused ASU team that played its best game of the season. If JU had played ASU under those same circumstances, 8 more weeks of practice, coming off a loss, and playing for the SoCon title, they may not have scored. Comparing those two games isn't fair to Wofford.

blukeys
November 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
The difference between then and now is that there are 20 teams...10 at-large bids...and two of those (NEC and Big South) are teams that the PFL has competed with and in the case of the NEC, beaten, in the last few years.

Here we go back to the same arguments for the last 3 years. We played tough against a team that comes from a conference that has an AQ so let us in. The PFL argument always is; "Well we are almost as bad as the PL, NEC, or Big South so let us in.

I warned against expanding the playoffs because eventually the PFL's, a tremendously weak conference, would try and make their case to come into the playoffs and dilute the level of competition.

The Fact is PFL teams regularly lose to D-2 teams. I know Butler lost to Wesley College a few years back. Wesley is D-3 !!!!!!!

The purpose of the playoffs is to crown a champion. To put in Jacksonville you must leave out a team that has a credible chance of winning a championship.

Jacksonville has a zero chance of winning a championship.

Model Citizen
November 15th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I know Butler lost to Wesley College a few years back.

Child, stop making things up.

tribe_pride
November 15th, 2010, 05:19 PM

No the difference is for it's out of conference schedule:

BSU

Va Tech - Win - top in the ACC now ranked 14
Wyoming - win - Bad team
Oregon State - Win - middle BCS squad
Toledo - WIn decent team in bad conference
Jax

ODU - Win - really good for a 2nd year program but not in contention for playoff spot
App. St - Lose - great team in good conference (but a loss)
Webber Int'l - Win a D-II

BSU scheduled 2 BCS schools and beat them both (both in top 35 Sagarin) Also scheduled 2 others at the same level.

Jax only scheduled 1 team expected to be really good and lost. Then they scheduled a 2nd year team (good team but beating a 2nd year team as your best win will only get you so much respect) and a team that is D-II. You shouldn't be in the playoffs (as an at-large) unless you play against other teams that are competing for the playoffs and actually win at least 1 of those.

If you want to argue who gets the automatic bids is unfair, you may have a point but for today, we are talking about the 10 at-large spots that are available

DetroitFlyer
November 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM

BSU

Wyoming - win - Bad team
Jax

ODU - Win - really good for a 2nd year program but not in contention for playoff spot

BSU scheduled 2 BCS schools and beat them both (both in top 35 Sagarin) Also scheduled 2 others at the same level.

Jax only scheduled 1 team expected to be really good and lost. Then they scheduled a 2nd year team (good team but beating a 2nd year team as your best win will only get you so much respect) and a team that is D-II. You shouldn't be in the playoffs (as an at-large) unless you play against other teams that are competing for the playoffs and actually win at least 1 of those.

If you want to argue who gets the automatic bids is unfair, you may have a point but for today, we are talking about the 10 at-large spots that are available

In 2007, Dayton had a win over PL champion Fordham, at Fordham's homecoming no less, a 10-1 record and stayed home. Now, in 2010, the Flyers have a win over NEC champion Robert Morris, a 10-1 record and the playoffs have expanded. Dayton should receive an at large bid.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Wofford no question. I'd also take UTC, GSU, Elon, Furman, and Samford before JU.

Wofford ran into a focused ASU team that played its best game of the season. If JU had played ASU under those same circumstances, 8 more weeks of practice, coming off a loss, and playing for the SoCon title, they may not have scored. Comparing those two games isn't fair to Wofford.

But a counter to the 'emotional' criteria is that Wofford also had the benefit of seeing App for eight weeks and knowing what they are capable of doing. It was 24 - 7 in a breezer before Wofford looked up. Either way; I just wanted to point out that Jacksonville should be held to a similar standard as Wofford; if not better since Jax actually stayed in the game until the third quarter.

Not saying Jax deserves a bid; just making comparisons.

JUDolphins
November 15th, 2010, 05:37 PM
The PFL as a whole is awful. Anyone in the league would admit that. But, the top teams in the league are just as worthy of a playoff spot as the Patriot, Big South and MEAC. I think Jacksonville or Dayton could win either league this year.

That's the thing - most of you are basing your idea of JU/Dayton on them being non-scholarship. If you haven't seen them, you don't know that they have scholarship level talent that most teams have overlooked. I know every wide receiver at JU could play for any scholarship program in the country, and the quarterback is one of the five best in the country.

bisonguy
November 15th, 2010, 05:38 PM

BSU

Wyoming - win - Bad team
Jax

Webber Int'l isn't even DII, they're NAIA.

iceman4221
November 15th, 2010, 05:40 PM

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2010, 05:41 PM

xlolx

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM

At this point, Wofford. They aren't a bubble team right now. They have two losses and can win a share of the SoCon title next weekend.

I'd take Jacksonville over the 7-4 bubble teams, though.

FormerPokeCenter
November 15th, 2010, 06:09 PM
At this point, Wofford. They aren't a bubble team right now. They have two losses and can win a share of the SoCon title next weekend.

I'd take Jacksonville over the 7-4 bubble teams, though.

If my beloved McCowboys win this week, they'll be a 7-4 Bubble team, with one of those wins being over Lamar, who's apparently NOT considered a D-1 win....But, two of the losses are to ranked BCS teams, including #5, LSU, who we scored first on, then retook the lead from in the second quarter....It wasn't until the 4th quarter that they pulled away to win 32-10. We got hammered against Missouri, after a significant scare on the flight to Columbia when the team plane had a collision with a light standard on take-off. The plane was diverted to Tunica, Mississippi, with full emergency crews and crash trucks standing by. The plane took off at 7 am on Friday, but the team didn't get to Missouri till nearly 11 pm with all the hoopla over the landing gear and being diverted and getting another plane.

Now, that's not to suggest that the outcome would have been different, but that same Missouri team that throttled McNeese 50-6, throttled Texas A&M 30-9, and Texas A&M throttled FCS #5 SFA 48-7 in the Fake-a-cramp game...

Granted, McNeese got blown out by Cal Poly, and lost a close one to SFA in the last moment, but they've finished strong, with a 4-game winning streak and - assuming a win against UCA (big assumption, I know) would be on a 5 game winning streak.

How badly does the selection committee punish them for scheduling Miizzou and LSU? Does it make sense to keep a surging 7-4 McNeese team out when they scheduled two ranked BCS teams?

BigApp
November 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Child, stop making things up.

He may have the school name wrong, but a quick scan of the past 10 Butler schedules conclude these Losses to:

Franklin
Albion (3 losses)
Missouri S & T (2 losses---not A&T, S&T)
Tiffin (3 losses)
St Joseph's of Indiana
St Francis of Indiana (2 losses)

In summation, his point is valid.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2010, 06:54 PM
xlolx

You know it depends on whichever team you're defending. xlolx

tribe_pride
November 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM
In 2007, Dayton had a win over PL champion Fordham, at Fordham's homecoming no less, a 10-1 record and stayed home. Now, in 2010, the Flyers have a win over NEC champion Robert Morris, a 10-1 record and the playoffs have expanded. Dayton should receive an at large bid.

I didn't compare Dayton above. Just Jax and BSU. Here you go for Dayton (Sagarin rankings)

Conference - 6 teams in the worst 25, other 2 that Dayton played 189 and 202 out of 245 of all D-I
OOC - 1 D-II school (why would Dayton schedule this), a decent Robert Morris (129 out of 245) and a bad loss to 177 Duquesne.

Dayton played 1 ok team and won. They also have a bad loss and a D-II win which doesn't count. To be a playoff team with this schedule it should be 11-0. I would give them a better shot than Jax though due to a decent win (but does have a really bad loss)

TwoFeathers
November 15th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I would stack JMU's resume against UTC, GSU and Elon. With the possible exception of GSU, none of those teams have the wins we do and UTC and GSU have worse losses than we do.

We are eighth in the CAA.

Didn't JMU lose 5 in a row? I know they beat #1 W&M, but that's a tough skid...

Model Citizen
November 15th, 2010, 07:22 PM

Oh, he had a point? Sounded like masturbation to me.

In the context of the playoffs, why are we talking about Butler, much less the Butler squad of 3-5 years ago? Sure Butler lost to Albion...the same year South Dakota State lost to UW-LaCrosse. No playoffs for the Mo Valley?

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Oh, he had a point? Sounded like masturbation to me.

In the context of the playoffs, why are we talking about Butler, much less the Butler squad of 3-5 years ago? Sure Butler lost to Albion...the same year South Dakota State lost to UW-LaCrosse. No playoffs for the Mo Valley?

SDSU was in the Great West when they lost to UW-LaCrosse. In their third year of transition into DI.

401ks
November 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
He may have the school name wrong, but a quick scan of the past 10 Butler schedules conclude these Losses to:

Franklin
Albion (3 losses)
Missouri S & T (2 losses---not A&T, S&T)
Tiffin (3 losses)
St Joseph's of Indiana
St Francis of Indiana (2 losses)

xeyebrowx

Going back far enough?

In 2005 Butler was 0-11 and the program was that close to being dropped (just like Northeastern and Hofstra).

In 2009 Butler was 11-1 with a season-ending victory over the NEC Champion, Central Connecticut State in the Gridiron Classic.

In summation, his point is off-the-mark and outdated. :p

My primary team is Duquesne. (The team that DF never mentions! xlolx) Duquesne is an Orange Bowl Champion. Let me repeat.... Orange Bowl Champion. Does that make them a top team in 2010?

Of course not. xrolleyesx

Just as Butler's losses during the "dark days" of Butler football not only have nothing to do with today's Butler team, they have even less to do with today's Jacksonville or Dayton teams!

I'm not saying that the PFL is a powerful FCS conference. I'm just pointing out that if one is going to take cheap shots at another team or conference, at least get one's facts right and make sure that they're up-to-date.

Any... Given... Saturday

Good to see that the "We-may-not-be-FBS-but-we're-better-than-those-guys" crowd is still alive and well!

xlolx

TwoFeathers
November 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Bethune-Cookman got 4 first-place votes... Anyone???

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM

Exactly, but the MEAC fans will defend it....BC-U has the 123rd hardest schedule in the nation. There are 124 FCS teams.

Milktruck74
November 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM

This is the result of some idiot with a copy deadline just looking at records. They probably had Jacksonville and dayton in the top 10 also.

Humble Steward
November 15th, 2010, 08:56 PM
My, my, my so many people fustrated over B-CU, South Carolina St. and the MEAC. We know, we need to win in the playoffs. We got it. Let's finish the season and get ready for the playoffs. Then we can talk about whether or not we deserved be to ranked as high or deserved an at large bid. I agree with you, that the MEAC representatives (2) need to step up to plate and win some playoff games. There's no getting around that. However, that doesn't take away from the teams that are on the field this year. Both B-CU and South Carolina St. are solid teams and hopefully will represent the conference proudly.

As far as adding Jacksonville to our schedule, we won't be downgrading next year. We have the University of Miami on our schedule for the next two years followed by the University of Central Florida. B-CU is looking to improve their strength of schedule and progress forward. Good luck to everyone on the verge of making the playoffs. We hope to see you there.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
My, my, my so many people fustrated over B-CU, South Carolina St. and the MEAC. We know, we need to win in the playoffs. We got it. Let's finish the season and get ready for the playoffs. Then we can talk about whether or not we deserved be to ranked as high or deserved an at large bid. I agree with you, that the MEAC representatives (2) need to step up to plate and win some playoff games. There's no getting around that. However, that doesn't take away from the teams that are on the field this year. Both B-CU and South Carolina St. are solid teams and hopefully will represent the conference proudly.

As far as adding Jacksonville to our schedule, we won't be downgrading next year. We have the University of Miami on our schedule for the next two years followed by the University of Central Florida. B-CU is looking to improve their strength of schedule and progress forward. Good luck to everyone on the verge of making the playoffs. We hope to see you there.

Congrats on scheduling some tough OOC FBS games, though let's be honest - those are money games pure and simple. Putting some winnable tough OOC FCS teams would do more to improve BCU's reputation.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 15th, 2010, 09:21 PM
The PFL as a whole is awful. Anyone in the league would admit that. But, the top teams in the league are just as worthy of a playoff spot as the Patriot, Big South and MEAC. I think Jacksonville or Dayton could win either league this year.

That's the thing - most of you are basing your idea of JU/Dayton on them being non-scholarship. If you haven't seen them, you don't know that they have scholarship level talent that most teams have overlooked. I know every wide receiver at JU could play for any scholarship program in the country, and the quarterback is one of the five best in the country.

With the current top 25, I would pick JU over Grambling, Dayton, Cal Poly, Lehigh, Liberty, Penn, SC State, B-CU, and SFA. I certainly think JU deserves a shot in the playoffs, though I think with the way some of the top conferences are shaping up this year with multiple teams right on the edge of playoff eligibility, they probably won't make it.

Humble Steward
November 15th, 2010, 09:30 PM
With the current top 25, I would pick JU over Grambling, Dayton, Cal Poly, Lehigh, Liberty, Penn, SC State, B-CU, and SFA. I certainly think JU deserves a shot in the playoffs, though I think with the way some of the top conferences are shaping up this year with multiple teams right on the edge of playoff eligibility, they probably won't make it.

Sorry, but JU is not as good as B-CU or South Carolina St. As my MEAC friend stated earlier in this thread, they would get drilled by either team. Period.

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Sorry, wrong again bigchocolate. Richmond lost at home to unseeded Furman in the next round. Hey, the Spiders were one of those 3-loss teams that beat a team with fewer than 3 losses in the playoffs. Remember, the teams you couldn't find any examples of?

TheBisonator
November 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'd put $1,000 on that bet.

I would take NDSU and the points on that bet. I have student loan payments to pay off.

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
And in 3 of the last 5 years the MEAC rep has lost to a team that went on to lose in the very next round. And really, winning in the playoffs is all about beating good teams, so it's hard to rely on the "we'll, we lost to a good team" mantra when everyone can say that. On the bright side, with the advent of an extra round this year, teams from hard time conferences like the OVC and Patriot and MEAC will likely get a chance to play each other, and as such, end real long losing streaks stretching longer than a decade for some.

It will be nice to see some losing streaks end. But is it really an accomplishment to win a game between the last two teams in, then get drilled by a seed? Advancing to the quarterfinals is progress.

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Wasn't Richmond 8-3 that year and didn't they lose in the very next round to Furman? There was at least one seeded team they couldn't handle.

No, they handled the seeded team (Hampton) 38-10. It was the unseeded Furman that they couldn't. But the MEAC wasn't overrated.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2010, 09:40 PM
But a counter to the 'emotional' criteria is that Wofford also had the benefit of seeing App for eight weeks and knowing what they are capable of doing. It was 24 - 7 in a breezer before Wofford looked up. Either way; I just wanted to point out that Jacksonville should be held to a similar standard as Wofford; if not better since Jax actually stayed in the game until the third quarter.

Not saying Jax deserves a bid; just making comparisons.

This post assumes that the ASU team JU played was the same ASU team Wofford played, 8 weeks later. I was at both games, they are miles apart. Wofford would beat JU by 14+ easy.

401ks
November 16th, 2010, 12:58 AM
This post assumes that the ASU team JU played was the same ASU team Wofford played, 8 weeks later. I was at both games, they are miles apart. Wofford would beat JU by 14+ easy.

xchinscratchx

This post assumes that the JU team that ASU played is the same JU team that is playing 8 weeks later. They are miles apart. Wofford might well be able to beat Jacksonville, but the "14+ easy" part is pure speculation based upon little more than SoCon bias, IMHO.

DetroitFlyer
November 16th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Man, it is just so sweet to see two PFL teams ranked in the real polls, (TSN, Coaches), (not AGS, not the other pretend poll), AND to see all of the crying here and on another board from fans of those teams that just did not get er done this year. GO PFL Baby!

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Man, it is just so sweet to see two PFL teams ranked in the real polls, (TSN, Coaches), (not AGS, not the other pretend poll), AND to see all of the crying here and on another board from fans of those teams that just did not get er done this year. GO PFL Baby!

We know how you feel. It's just as sweet to see all the crying from teams who did not schedule well enough to get an at-large bid.;)

Gil Dobie
November 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Does either team have a shot at the National Championship if given a playoff bid?

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
xchinscratchx

This post assumes that the JU team that ASU played is the same JU team that is playing 8 weeks later. They are miles apart. Wofford might well be able to beat Jacksonville, but the "14+ easy" part is pure speculation based upon little more than SoCon bias, IMHO.

No need to throw logic into the scenario. xeyebrowxxlolx

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Didn't JMU lose 5 in a row? I know they beat #1 W&M, but that's a tough skid...

We lost four in a row, but five out of six, prior to beating W&M. Still, I would put our overall resume up against those teams. Our five losses were to ranked teams (and if you care about close losses, all but one were by a score or less), plus we have wins against two ranked teams and the Va. Tech win.

JUDolphins
November 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Does JU have a shot at the title with a bid? With the right matchups, yes.

Mobile QBs have given JU problems this year, but they were able to force 3 INTs on the ODU qb and ASU, well, is ASU. They're the best team in the country for a reason - and it starts at QB, who I think it better than Armanti.

asknoquarter21
November 16th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Does JU have a shot at the title with a bid? With the right matchups, yes.

Mobile QBs have given JU problems this year, but they were able to force 3 INTs on the ODU qb and ASU, well, is ASU. They're the best team in the country for a reason - and it starts at QB, who I think it better than Armanti.

Bite your tongue! haha

DP has played well this season, but he is no Armanti

He has exceeded all expectations though

grayghost06
November 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM
As a JMU fan, I accept that our 5-5 record should not get us in the playoffs. If one wants all the benefits from playing in the best FCS conference, you gotta accept the pitfalls too (brutal schedule, more chance for injuries etc.)

That having been said, there are easily 6 teams ranked in the AGS top 25 that absolutely would not come within a TD of Madison, even with our anemic offense. JMU played ( at the time they played them), #s 1,5,6,15,18,20 & 22 ranked teams in FCS. And yes, JMU only defeated #s 1 & 22, while losing the other 5. All were close, hard fought- albeit boring games. They also played and defeated the # 13 ranked FBS team in the country.

My point is, the playoffs have Automatic qualifiers and politics to deal with. I understand and accept that. The polls, however, should not. Do the people that vote in these things really believe that a non scholarship team could beat a .500 CAA team? Are you going to look me in the eye with a straight face and say yes? Better yet, are you going to wager with me on the outcome?
I don't really care that JMU isn't ranked. It just irks me that some cupcakes are ranked.

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM
People seem to want their cake and to eat it too. I imagine most pollsters, especially coaches, want to reward teams that have successful seasons, no matter their perceived strength. Also, a team should be penalized at some point in the season for not being successful against their schedule. So all that jazz about who can beat who, can be predicted but not proven unless they play. So until they play, you reward the teams who are winning.

captainTyinKnots
November 16th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Well, I've been following these forums for some time now and I can't back off anymore. I stay away from posting because I don't want to get involved in the mix. Oh well! All I wanted to say is this. This website is called "anygivensaturday" for a reason. Everyone is so quick to jump the gun about the teams from the MEAC and the PFL about strength of schedule and quality of wins. That may be true to a certain degree, but why is everyone so defensive about these schools being ranked as good as they are/getting a chance to compete in the national tournament? They only answer I could think of is that other schools are scared to get upset by these programs. We don't know what would happen if so and so played so and so or how bad so and so would lose because they lost to so and so who beat so and so. WE DON'T KNOW!! My input, let them in and play. I'm not a JU/Dayton/BC-U/JMU/ASU fan, so i don't really care either way, but I do think that the underdog's should be given a chance to prove themselves. And if they choke...that gives you all the way until next season to talk smack :D

udchuck
November 16th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Well, I've been following these forums for some time now and I can't back off anymore. I stay away from posting because I don't want to get involved in the mix. Oh well! All I wanted to say is this. This website is called "anygivensaturday" for a reason. Everyone is so quick to jump the gun about the teams from the MEAC and the PFL about strength of schedule and quality of wins. That may be true to a certain degree, but why is everyone so defensive about these schools being ranked as good as they are/getting a chance to compete in the national tournament? They only answer I could think of is that other schools are scared to get upset by these programs. We don't know what would happen if so and so played so and so or how bad so and so would lose because they lost to so and so who beat so and so. WE DON'T KNOW!! My input, let them in and play. I'm not a JU/Dayton/BC-U/JMU/ASU fan, so i don't really care either way, but I do think that the underdog's should be given a chance to prove themselves. And if they choke...that gives you all the way until next season to talk smack :D

One hell of a post,being your first post. I could not agree more.Thank you for your thoughtful insight. One poster (that I will not name,but knows who I mean) can learn from your logic. Stick around my good man we need more posters like you on this forum.

flyenhigh
November 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I also have stayed away from all the conversation about the PFL's Jacksonville and Dayton but it is now time for me to say something.

1) Any Given Saturday- it's named that for a reason
2) UD and JU have had great seasons and won plenty of games deserving of their top 25 ranking
3) UD and JU should have a shot at the playoffs

In addition, the majority of the board talkin an enormous amount of shi* on both fb squads has no clue about the caliber of either team. 1) u have never seen them play 2) u are no experts in ranking teams if you have not seen them play 3) u just do not want a non scholly team blowing up the FCS world 4) Just like any 1A program hates to lose to a lower div, u too wld hate to see your beloved team lose to a 1aa non scholar team 5) u just haten

just sayin...

downbythebeach
November 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Its funny the NEC cant get a team ranked in the polls
Years ago when we had a bad Sagarin rating it was used against us,
now that its not so bad it doesnt even matter any more to the same posters.

The same thing stands for the PFL

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM
You know, all this bellyaching from the PFL would be put to rest if they just would petition the NCAA for an autobid. Seriously, the NEC and Big South asked and they got the AQ - seems pretty simple really. Wonder why they don't do it????

captainTyinKnots
November 16th, 2010, 10:22 AM
One hell of a post,being your first post. I could not agree more.Thank you for your thoughtful insight. One poster (that I will not name,but knows who I mean) can learn from your logic. Stick around my good man we need more posters like you on this forum.

I appreciate the kind response. I love reading on these forums, but sometimes people go off on the wrong tangents and discuss things that are irrelevant. I'm anticipating this coming Sunday at 10:00 A.M, and can't wait to see what people have to say about the selected teams.

401ks
November 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
You know, all this bellyaching from the PFL would be put to rest if they just would petition the NCAA for an autobid. Seriously, the NEC and Big South asked and they got the AQ - seems pretty simple really. Wonder why they don't do it????

They've done it, and their petition was declined for 2010.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2010, 10:35 AM
All you fans of teams that post gaudy records can whine and complain all you want about how we all hate on you. But our respect is easy to get, step up and beat somebody.

The NEC stepped up and earned themselves an AQ. I remember years ago when the Great West was formed that conference quickly garnered respect because its teams stepped up.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 10:41 AM
They've done it, and their petition was declined for 2010.

When did they do this? They hadn't petitioned anyone by at least the middle of 2009 (the Big South and NEC petitioned in 2008 and were at that time given AQ's for 2010) so when did they do this??

Saint3333
November 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
xchinscratchx

Yeah the JU that almost lost to Butler sure must have improved a lot...

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2010, 10:44 AM
When did they do this? They hadn't petitioned anyone by at least the middle of 2009 (the Big South and NEC petitioned in 2008 and were at that time given AQ's for 2010) so when did they do this??

According to this article they were declined for 2010.

http://www.ncaa.com/blog/d1football/2010/11/what-works.html

captainTyinKnots
November 16th, 2010, 10:44 AM
All you fans of teams that post gaudy records can whine and complain all you want about how we all hate on you. But our respect is easy to get, step up and beat somebody.

The NEC stepped up and earned themselves an AQ. I remember years ago when the Great West was formed that conference quickly garnered respect because its teams stepped up.

Didn't the PFL beat the NEC in 4 of the last 5 Grid Iron classics? Not trying to defend anyone here, just wondering...

TypicalTribe
November 16th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I'm hoping for the following two games in the playoffs, both regionally feasible:

GSU at BCC
Wofford at SC State

If the MEAC reps could win, we would learn a little something. If not, we'll see the same discussions next year.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM
According to this article they were declined for 2010.

http://www.ncaa.com/blog/d1football/2010/11/what-works.html

Well, hopefully the PFL is going to use a little more foresight and petition for an AQ with enough lead time to make it happen. Like I said, the NEC and Big South petitioned in 2008 to get the AQ's in 2010. The PFL applying sometime in 2010 for an AQ in 2010 would seem to be not planning ahead properly. Hopefully this isn't the last time they petition.

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I don't think it is as much an issue of wanting respect for the teams as it is wanting fans of the other teams to quit their belly-aching. xlolx

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I don't think it is as much an issue of wanting respect for the teams as it is wanting fans of the other teams to quit their belly-aching. xlolx

Who's bellyaching? Seriously, who wouldn't want to be matched up against a MEAC, Patriot, or PFL team in the first round?

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Folks bellyache every time they proclaim 6-4 team X from Y conference should be ranked instead of 9 - 1 team Z from W conference.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Didn't the PFL beat the NEC in 4 of the last 5 Grid Iron classics? Not trying to defend anyone here, just wondering...

That isn't even close to what I mean...This is what I'm talking about...The NEC steps up(this is since 2007)....

Albany vs Maine
Albany vs SFA
Albany vs Georgia Southern
Albany vs UMass
Albany vs Maine
Albany vs UMass
Albany vs Hofstra
Albany vs UNH
Albany vs UD
Albany vs Hofstra
Albany vs Montana
Monmouth vs Maine
Monmouth vs Maine
Monmouth vs URI
Monmouth vs Maine
Monmouth vs UD
Wagner vs NDSU
Bryant vs Hofstra
Bryant vs UMass
Duquense vs UD
Duquense vs Nicholls St
CCSU vs UNH
CCSU vs YSU
CCSU vs W&M
CCSU vs NDSU
CCSU vs Towson
St. Francis vs Cal Poly
St. Francis vs UNH
St. Francis vs UNI

About the only PFL teams that put themselves out there consistently are USD and Drake.

401ks
November 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
About the only PFL teams that put themselves out there consistently are USD and Drake.

And - to be fair - Jacksonville

401ks
November 16th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Obviously, when you weren't paying attention!

xlolx

grayghost06
November 16th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Folks bellyache every time they proclaim 6-4 team X from Y conference should be ranked instead of 9 - 1 team Z from W conference.

I believe a few wins in the playoffs will shut a lot of the bellyachers up, myself included. If your not playing a tough reg. season schedule, this is your opportunity. Lay an egg and the bellyaching will likely continue. Pioneer, NEC, Patriot, OVC & MEAC...this is a chance to illustrate your body of work. As a fan of college football, I actually would like to see the upsets, esp since I won't have a dog in the fight.

401ks
November 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM
While it may not be as fast as some critics might want, the PFL is stepping up the strength of their OOC scheduling. This season is a good example:

PFL vs. FCS OOC in 2010

Morehead State vs. James Madison
Morehead State vs. Georgia State
Morehead State vs. St. Francis
Butler vs. Youngstown State
Valparaiso vs. Western Illinois
Jacksonville vs. Appalachian State
Jacksonville vs. Old Dominion
Davidson vs. Presbyterian
Davidson vs. Georgetown
Campbell vs. Old Dominion
Campbell vs. Georgia State
Drake vs. Montana State
Drake vs. Lehigh
Marist vs. Georgetown
Marist vs. Bucknell
Marist vs. Sacred Heart
San Diego vs. Southern Utah
San Diego vs. UC Davis
Dayton vs. Robert Morris
Dayton vs. Duquesne

Just a few years ago, one would have never seen so many fully-funded FCS programs on the schedule. Sub-DIs are being replaced by FCS teams - slowly, but surely.

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I believe a few wins in the playoffs will shut a lot of the bellyachers up, myself included. If your not playing a tough reg. season schedule, this is your opportunity. Lay an egg and the bellyaching will likely continue. Pioneer, NEC, Patriot, OVC & MEAC...this is a chance to illustrate your body of work. As a fan of college football, I actually would like to see the upsets, esp since I won't have a dog in the fight.

Yeah for the playoffs; but during the regular season, I see no issue with letting those teams enjoy their shine. It's not like most of them get to the truly elite 'top ten' status anyway.

Folks are literally arguing over the last five spots in the poll.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah for the playoffs; but during the regular season, I see no issue with letting those teams enjoy their shine. It's not like most of them get to the truly elite 'top ten' status anyway.

Folks are literally arguing over the last five spots in the poll.

I agree with that - there's no sense arguing over the last five spots in a poll.

Dane96
November 16th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Those in bold may be stepping out or stepping equal (as in out of the conference)...but not stepping up by any stretch:

While it may not be as fast as some critics might want, the PFL is stepping up the strength of their OOC scheduling. This season is a good example:

PFL vs. FCS OOC in 2010

Morehead State vs. James Madison
Morehead State vs. Georgia State
Morehead State vs. St. Francis
Butler vs. Youngstown State
Valparaiso vs. Western Illinois
Jacksonville vs. Appalachian State
Jacksonville vs. Old Dominion
Davidson vs. Presbyterian
Davidson vs. Georgetown
Campbell vs. Old Dominion
Campbell vs. Georgia State
Drake vs. Montana State
Drake vs. Lehigh
Marist vs. Georgetown
Marist vs. Bucknell
Marist vs. Sacred Heart
San Diego vs. Southern Utah
San Diego vs. UC Davis
Dayton vs. Robert Morris
Dayton vs. Duquesne

Just a few years ago, one would have never seen so many fully-funded FCS programs on the schedule. Sub-DIs are being replaced by FCS teams - slowly, but surely.

The teams in bold are not powerhouse conference teams.

401ks
November 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Those in bold may be stepping out or stepping equal (as in out of the conference)...but not stepping up by any stretch:

The teams in bold are not powerhouse conference teams.

xconfusedx

Where did I say they were?

I said...

"Sub-DIs are being replaced by FCS teams - slowly, but surely."

Period.

MacThor
November 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I agree with that - there's no sense arguing over the last five spots in a poll.

Absolutely.

However, SC State is #11/#12. That's way above "enjoy their shine" category, and into "first round bye in the playoffs" territory.

Spiderbone
November 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
All I have to say is THANK GOD we have playoffs and THANK GOD for FCS football. FBS can have the BCS farce.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Absolutely.

However, SC State is #11/#12. That's way above "enjoy their shine" category, and into "first round bye in the playoffs" territory.

Polls, schmolls. SC State is going to be sweating out even making the playoffs. Another reason why you can't get too wrapped up in polls.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM
This made me laugh:
"Going up to Old Dominion and beating them by 10 was big for us," Bell said. "Because they played William & Mary, which is one of the top teams in [FCS]." - From the article about the PFL auto being denied

So them beating ODU is good, because ODU played W&M?

401ks
November 16th, 2010, 01:30 PM
This made me laugh:

So them beating ODU is good, because ODU played W&M?

Football coaches are known to be outstanding wordsmiths!

xrolleyesx

flyenhigh
November 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM

This is true as well as the PFL having a very favorable record against the NEC yet bc the NEC moves to partial scholarships and the PFL remains non scholarship the PFL gets docked by the governing bodies when requesting a playoff bid.

We can cry all we want but I do agree with some that the PFL teams should schedule some more difficult opponents. But after having a discussion with some coaches it's very apparent that most teams will not even consider playing Dayton. I assume the same goes for the upper half of the PFL This therefore causes a flaw in that argument.

The simple solution is to give an automatic bid to ALL conferences playing within the FCS. It makes no logical sense why this has not been implemented. BUT I know exactly why it has not yet been done. All the conferences that carry scholarship teams do not want to lose to a non scholarship team in the playoffs and expose themselves to an embarrassment.

Get off your high horse and be open to this discussion.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM
This is true as well as the PFL having a very favorable record against the NEC yet bc the NEC moves to partial scholarships and the PFL remains non scholarship the PFL gets docked by the governing bodies when requesting a playoff bid.

We can cry all we want but I do agree with some that the PFL teams should schedule some more difficult opponents. But after having a discussion with some coaches it's very apparent that most teams will not even consider playing Dayton. I assume the same goes for the upper half of the PFL This therefore causes a flaw in that argument.

The simple solution is to give an automatic bid to ALL conferences playing within the FCS. It makes no logical sense why this has not been implemented. BUT I know exactly why it has not yet been done. All the conferences that carry scholarship teams do not want to lose to a non scholarship team in the playoffs and expose themselves to an embarrassment.

Get off your high horse and be open to this discussion.

Clear flaws in the argument: 1) The PFL has apparently only petitioned the NCAA this year for an AQ - following previous awardings of AQ's, I would assume a 2 year wait before that happens.
2) Didn't Jacksonville just play Appy St and ODU? Didn't Drake play UNI? Apparently the only top PFL team unable to schedule well is Dayton. No sense throwing the rest of the conference under the bus for Dayton's unwillingness to schedule up.
3) Everyone would welcome getting to play Jacksonville in the opening round or first round - seriously, everyone.

DetroitFlyer
November 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Clear flaws in the argument: 1) The PFL has apparently only petitioned the NCAA this year for an AQ - following previous awardings of AQ's, I would assume a 2 year wait before that happens.
2) Didn't Jacksonville just play Appy St and ODU? Didn't Drake play UNI? Apparently the only top PFL team unable to schedule well is Dayton. No sense throwing the rest of the conference under the bus for Dayton's unwillingness to schedule up.
3) Everyone would welcome getting to play Jacksonville in the opening round or first round - seriously, everyone.

Oh, you mean like 2007 when Dayton defeated Patriot League champion Fordham, at Fordham during homecoming.... Yeah, Dayton does not schedule up.... Give me a break, care to try again genius?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2010, 03:55 PM
PFL fans:

OK, we'll give you a bid this year with one premise...

If you lose by more than 30 you have to shut up until the end of time.

Deal?

BigApp
November 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
xeyebrowx

Good to see that the "We-may-not-be-FBS-but-we're-better-than-those-guys" crowd is still alive and well!

xlolx

"Bitter, party of one, your table is now ready. Bitter, Party of One, your table is now ready."

GannonFan
November 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Oh, you mean like 2007 when Dayton defeated Patriot League champion Fordham, at Fordham during homecoming.... Yeah, Dayton does not schedule up.... Give me a break, care to try again genius?

I don't have to - Fordham twice is the zenith of Dayton's scheduling over the past decade. Unless you're counting Tiffin. Face it man, in a league where most haven't scheduled up much, Dayton stands out as the team not doing it's share of the heavy lifting. You're riding the coattails of Drake and Jacksonville.

udchuck
November 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM
PFL fans:

OK, we'll give you a bid this year with one premise...

If you lose by more than 30 you have to shut up until the end of time.

Deal?

That's a deal,as long as we play your friggin team. DEAL??

401ks
November 16th, 2010, 04:58 PM
"Bitter, party of one, your table is now ready. Bitter, Party of One, your table is now ready."

xconfusedx

Total non-sequitur response.

xsmhx

captainTyinKnots
November 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I would honestly say that normally more dominant teams shouldn't take the PFL teams so lightly. The personality and characteristics of an underdog team carry a lot of weight. I would love to see a PFL team like Dayton/Jacksonville dominate in the first round, just to prove the concept of "any given saturday". You say you want to play these schools in the first round because you automatically assume you will end up on top, which can also carry over to the players. If they get that idea in their head, that is the perfect formula for an upset. Jacksonville/Dayton players will do everything in their power to put up a fight because they have something to prove. And if the other school is going to think lightly about them, I see an upset happening.

BigApp
November 16th, 2010, 05:24 PM
no it isn't. We may not be FBS, but you are not on the same playing field as programs like Appalachian/Montana/GaSou/etc.

You're bitter because we know that. I hope you DO get teams in the playoffs. As a matter of fact, I hope PFL'ers get the 1st round byes too. You've earned it. And they send you to Boone or UNI or Jax State to reward you.

As BHCE said a few posts up, will that shut you up then?

401ks
November 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
no it isn't. We may not be FBS, but you are not on the same playing field as programs like Appalachian/Montana/GaSou/etc.

You're bitter because we know that. I hope you DO get teams in the playoffs. As a matter of fact, I hope PFL'ers get the 1st round byes too. You've earned it. And they send you to Boone or UNI or Jax State to reward you.

xeyebrowx

You're serious, aren't you?

Let me start with this post that I made on Saturday on the "other board".

I firmly believe that the Pioneer Football League, as a full-fledged FCS conference that has requested an AQ, should get an AQ.

I'm a fan of the PFL, but I have to say that I don't believe that either Dayton's or Jacksonville's resume is sufficient for an at-large bid this season.

As a fan of the NEC, I know that Robert Morris would struggle to get an at-large bid this year (if the NEC didn't have the AQ) because of their two "bad" losses (in the eyes of the committee) to Bryant and Dayton...

Next, why do you even care? What personal shortcoming is satisfied by insulting another program? xsmhx

If fans of smaller-budget programs admit that the programs with bigger budgets are "better", "will that shut you up then?"

Just remember...

ANY... GIVEN... SATURDAY

Moving on...

"We may not be FBS, but you are not on the same playing field as programs like Appalachian/Montana/GaSou/etc."

Are you kidding me? Appalachian State pulls off one major upset a few years ago over Michigan and App State fans think that no one else can possibly do that to them? The best FCS teams (and I include App State on that list) "are not on the same playing field as programs like" Michigan/Florida/Alabama/Oregon/Ohio State/etc.

The Appalachian State upset of Michigan is historic because it is probably a once-in-a-lifetime event. FCS teams that "are not on the same playing field" have already pulled off these upsets a number of times and will continue to do so in the future.

Just remember this... To the "big boys" in FBS (the ones who play "real" college football xrolleyesx) teams like Appalachian State are Division II!

Finally... we get it. We really do!

We all know that the depth of talent is not there in non-athletic scholarship and limited-athletic scholarship teams and that depth plays a huge part of any kind of championship run. But the "We're-not-FBS-but-at-least-we're-better-than-those-guys" crowd wishes to keep "those guys" from even having the opportunity for a historic upset.

xnonox

flyenhigh
November 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM

What will shut you up is the question in my mind? Who in the heck made you God? Your arrogance really shows and it is messing with your logic. You remind me of a brick wall, there is nothing getting through. I can tell you that I/we are not trying to persuade your type but those that actually listen to a point when it is trying to be made rather than automatically disputing any point we "the underdogs" are trying to make.

flyenhigh
November 16th, 2010, 06:09 PM
xeyebrowx

You're serious, aren't you?

Let me start with this post that I made on Saturday on the "other board".

Next, why do you even care? What personal shortcoming is satisfied by insulting another program? xsmhx

If fans of smaller-budget programs admit that the programs with bigger budgets are "better", "will that shut you up then?"

Just remember...

ANY... GIVEN... SATURDAY

Moving on...

Are you kidding me? Appalachian State pulls off one major upset a few years ago over Michigan and App State fans think that no one else can possibly do that to them? The best FCS teams (and I include App State on that list) "are not on the same playing field as programs like" Michigan/Florida/Alabama/Oregon/Ohio State/etc.

The Appalachian State upset of Michigan is historic because it is probably a once-in-a-lifetime event. FCS teams that "are not on the same playing field" have already pulled off these upsets a number of times and will continue to do so in the future.

Just remember this... To the "big boys" in FBS (the ones who play "real" college football xrolleyesx) teams like Appalachian State are Division II!

Finally... we get it. We really do!

We all know that the depth of talent is not there in non-athletic scholarship and limited-athletic scholarship teams and that depth plays a huge part of any kind of championship run. But the "We're-not-FBS-but-at-least-we're-better-than-those-guys" crowd wishes to keep "those guys" from even having the opportunity for a historic upset.

xnonox

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapx

1andDone
November 16th, 2010, 06:31 PM
To me the Pioneer league teams should be about to spots higher, yeah they bot lost 1 game, but let them up, and if they lose it proves a point.

Big Dawg
November 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM

BCU is 10-0...stop complaining...a lot of you guys sound like the uppity BCS fans, sometimes

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
That's a deal,as long as we play your friggin team. DEAL??

You have no idea how much I would welcome the opportunity.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2010, 07:26 PM
BCU is 10-0...stop complaining...a lot of you guys sound like the uppity BCS fans, sometimes

Come on MEAC fans, we can't even question BCU getting four first place votes? I'd like to think even MEAC fans would think that is crazy.

Big Dawg
November 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Come on MEAC fans, we can't even question BCU getting four first place votes? I'd like to think even MEAC fans would think that is crazy.

I personally don't think they are the #1 team in the country, HOWEVER, you shouldn't punish a team for NOT losing.

Humble Steward
November 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Honestly, I don't think we are worthy of being ranked #1 in the country. However, what we have done this season, without any consideration has been surprising. I will take the "W" and an undefeated season over rankings any day. Glad to see some other posters standing up for their team on this board.

10-0 and 1 to go. Let's Go Wildcats, we have some unfinished business this weekend at the Florida Classic. I wish everyone Good Luck in the next week or so and hope to see you in the playoffs.

Milktruck74
November 16th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I hope BCU can finish strong and have that all elusive perfect season. I don't care what league you play in, that is a special season. as far as playoffs go, it really doesn't matter where you are ranked at the start, it matters where you are at the end!!!

BigApp
November 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Next, why do you even care? What personal shortcoming is satisfied by insulting another program?

When did I "insult" another program?

Are you kidding me? ...To the "big boys" in FBS (the ones who play "real" college football xrolleyesx) teams like Appalachian State are Division II!

Huh? xconfusedx Have I EVER, on ANY message board or in person EVER said anything to the contrary?

And thanks for the out-of-the-blue-reminder to everyone we beat Michigan xsmileyclapx

You say you "get it", but your posts state otherwise. You want everyone to accept your programs as equal. Sorry, that's not the case. If that insults you, so be it.

Your AD's have the opportunities available to them each and every year to schedule that "opportunity for a historic upset". But, each and every year I peruse the schedules and see them littered with NAIA's and D3's (or whatever). Sometimes even see them as ROAD games (San Diego comes to mind) to NAIA teams.

You want to be equal, that ain't the way to do it. Call up Charlie Cobb (or any other FULL scholly AD) and offer yourself up on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY, I'm dead certain they'd accept the bare-knuckle cage match you'd like. You can bring your own manager and referee too.

401ks
November 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM
xpeacex

JAX Fin
November 17th, 2010, 07:46 PM

In 2007 Jacksonville, who finished the season 3-7, played BCU and lost a tight 31-17 game. I don't think BCU scheduling JU is much of a step down at all.

I think JU pretty much shot any playoff chances they had to hell the past two weeks. If they would've kept up their pace of thumping their PFL schedule, they'd have a much better chance. Fact is, you just can't squeak by teams like Campbell and possibly think you're playoff material.

flyenhigh
November 18th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Looks like we shall revist this topic after the playoff selection Sunday. Till then c ya!

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Looks like we shall revist this topic after the playoff selection Sunday. Till then c ya!

Only a few days. So glad they moved it to Sunday morning.

R.A.
November 18th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Polls, schmolls. SC State is going to be sweating out even making the playoffs. Another reason why you can't get too wrapped up in polls.

That's true, no doubt about that.

R.A.
November 18th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I'm hoping for the following two games in the playoffs, both regionally feasible:

GSU at BCC
Wofford at SC State

If the MEAC reps could win, we would learn a little something. If not, we'll see the same discussions next year.

Don't be surprised to see a seeded Bethune Cookman.

R3TRO
November 18th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Don't be surprised to see a seeded Bethune Cookman.

Don't be surprised if you don't.

udchuck
November 18th, 2010, 12:46 PM
You have no idea how much I would welcome the opportunity.

No,You would not want the opportunity to play Dayton,Your team would lose,and would need 10 years to get over it. You can start crying now because the Spiders should lose this weekend by 20-30 points.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2010, 01:02 PM
No,You would not want the opportunity to play Dayton,Your team would lose,and would need 10 years to get over it. You can start crying now because the Spiders should lose this weekend by 20-30 points.

These are the types of predictions that prove to me you know that your team won't make the playoffs. It's easy to sit back and claim some kind of pseudo dominance when you know that your theories will never be tested.

udchuck
November 18th, 2010, 01:15 PM
These are the types of predictions that prove to me you know that your team won't make the playoffs. It's easy to sit back and claim some kind of pseudo dominance when you know that your theories will never be tested.

What the heck you talking about,I think Dayton would beat the spiders,plain and simple.What the heck does the playoffs have to do with it?? The guy made a stupid statement and I answered it. You can go back to sleep now.

Squealofthepig
November 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
What the heck you talking about,I think Dayton would beat the spiders,plain and simple.What the heck does the playoffs have to do with it?? The guy made a stupid statement and I answered it. You can go back to sleep now.

(first number is current GPI rank out of 124 teams)

Dayton Fliers
38 Win by 14 over Robert Morris
73 Loss by 4 at Duquesne
107 Win by 14 over Morehead State
N/A Win by 32 over Central State
124 Win by 34 over Valparaiso
95 Win by 1 at San Diego
108 Win by 20 at Butler
111 Win by 18 vs Campbell
116 Win by 24 at Davidson
78 Win by 6 vs Drake
115 Win by 7 at Marist in Double Overtime

Richmond Spiders
N/A Loss by 18 at FBS Virginia
26 Win by 6 vs Elon in Overtime
1 Loss by 21 vs Delaware
68 Win by 22 vs Coastal Carolina
8 Loss by 17 at New Hampshire
14 Win by 1 at Massachusetts
91 Win by 22 vs Towson
11 Loss by 21 at Villanova
19 Win by 3 vs James Madison in Overtime
48 Win by 9 vs Rhode Island

I know who I'd put money on.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I know who I'd put money on.

I think the 2OT win over Marist shows that Dayton can play with anybody. :)

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I made a stupid statement and I'm answering for it. Me sleepy. Need nappy.

FIFY. I don't think I can add to the previous two posts.

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM
The PFL brightens my day every November.

udchuck
November 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
FIFY. I don't think I can add to the previous two posts.

LOL Nice alteration. BTW You guys going to break 50 % this sat.?? Isn't 5 wins,5 losses your record this year so far??Just curious,

udchuck
November 18th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I think the 2OT win over Marist shows that Dayton can play with anybody. :)

That's correct,it was a win,that's all that matters.