PDA

View Full Version : Coach Buddy Pough of SC State Reads AnyGivenSaturday.com...

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Published on 11-13-2010 06:59 AM

After a 32-10 victory on national television against Morgan State, Buddy Pough and South Carolina State eye a third consecutive berth in the NCAA playoffs, this time as an at-large entrant

By David Coulson
Executive Editor/Managing Partner
College Sporting News

BALTIMORE — South Carolina State's Buddy Pough may be an old-time football coach in most respects, but he relishes the chance to tell people that he has embraced 21st Century technology.

"I am a computer guy," Pough said on Thursday night as he basked in the visiting locker room at Hughes Stadium in the wake of a 32-10 victory at Morgan State. "I keep up on all the teams on the Internet and read all those sites, like College Sporting News and AGS (the Any Given Saturday national FCS message board)."

And in Pough's "unbiased" estimation, No. 15-ranked South Carolina State has earned a shot to become one of the 10 at-large teams selected for the NCAA Division I Football Championships when the field is selected next weekend.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?317-Why-Not-South-Carolina-State&

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Regarding SC State's Schedule

Many nay-sayers point to SCSU's poor strength of schedule and lobby for more 7-4 teams from power conferences to be included in the field. But Pough and his players think they deserve more respect.

After winning back-to-back MEAC titles, South Carolina State had its championship run derailed by Bethune-Cookman this season, losing 14-0 last month in Spartanburg, S.C.

The Bulldogs have dropped only one other game (in the season opener at Georgia Tech) and one of their wins was over non-Division-I Benedict, but Pough said his team has taken care of business in its other games.

"We have a hard time scheduling," said Pough. "Nobody wants to play us unless its going to their place for a guarantee. Nobody wants to play us home and home."

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I wonder if some of my posts are up on the old bulletin board?

MR. CHICKEN
November 15th, 2010, 10:49 AM
HI BUDDY!.......MIGHT SEE YA IN NEWARK.....xhypedx......BRAWK!!

aceinthehole
November 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM
"We have a hard time scheduling," said Pough. "Nobody wants to play us unless its going to their place for a guarantee. Nobody wants to play us home and home."

Has he called Central Connecticut State University? I practically guarantee they would agree to a home/home series with the Bulldogs.

RabidRabbit
November 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I keep thinking that there should be a best of the South __________ State home/home. Maybe Hampton WBB will give glowing reports about coming to Brookings, but leave with the L, in the pre-season WNIT.

JSUBison
November 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM
NDSU has an open date next year due to Georgia Southern deciding not to return to Fargo. Let's sign SC State up for a home/home!

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I keep thinking that there should be a best of the South __________ State home/home. Maybe Hampton WBB will give glowing reports about coming to Brookings, but leave with the L, in the pre-season WNIT.

Trust me. The Lady Pirates are no slouch. They slumped James Madison and JMU is in the top 10 of the Preseason Mid Major top 25. They will be ready. Women's Basketball in the MEAC is not a cakewalk anymore.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
NDSU has an open date next year due to Georgia Southern deciding not to return to Fargo. Let's sign SC State up for a home/home!

Would NDSU be willing to travel to Orangeburg in 2011?

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Has he called Central Connecticut State University? I practically guarantee they would agree to a home/home series with the Bulldogs.

Would CCSU be willing to travel to orangeburg in 2011?

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Would NDSU be willing to travel to Orangeburg in 2011?

SCSU probably wouldn't mind going there first; after all they should have 6 home games next year already.

BTW, why isn't NDSU coming to Morgan State?

FargoBison
November 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Morgan State took the big check.

But the first game will need to be in Fargo, after a few teams backed out on us for home and homes it is now standard practice. Plus we only have five home games scheduled.

aceinthehole
November 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Would CCSU be willing to travel to orangeburg in 2011?

I willing to bet YES! If not 2011, then in 2012. I'm not the AD, but CCSU has played just about ANYWHERE, so as long as we can be assured of a return trip to New Britain, I can't see why this wouldn't work.

SCSU would be a great opponent for another "Harmony Classic" in Connecticut.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1586475

R.A.
November 15th, 2010, 11:59 AM

COACH POUGH, AD JOHNSON... HERE YAH GO!!! IF WOFFORD, FURMAN, THE CITADEL, AND COASTAL DON'T WANT TO PLAY YOU FOR HOME & HOME, THEIR ARE OTHER CONFERENCES THAT WILL... The NEC, The Patriot League, The Valley, The Big Sky... WE HAVE OTHER OPTIONS GUYS.

R.A.
November 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Morgan State took the big check.

But the first game will need to be in Fargo, after a few teams backed out on us for home and homes it is now standard practice. Plus we only have five home games scheduled.

HERE'S ANOTHER Big Sky SCHOOL THAT WOULDN'T MIND PLAYING SC STATE.

bosshogg
November 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM

have your AD contact this guy

http://www.scsuathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=27

he does most of our scheduling....

blukeys
November 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I don't know if SC State is more deserving of an at large berth than any other school. That is always a difficult question. I have seen SC State in Dover a few times in the last 15 or so years. They are consistently tough, hard nosed, disciplined, and well coached. The Dawgs will tend to be in game with just about anyone.

Del State had a SC State assistant come on board as head coach of DSU before the prior administration. The Poor guy got totally hosed. DSU never gave the guy a full scollie commitment. In order to get a decent workout facility the coach worked out an agreement with a local fitness club. Coach Bicknell was doing things right. It was a shame how he was treated.

NuJerzBullDog
November 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM
actually we were kinda lookin at coastal, furman, wofford, and cit to create a nice lil instate rivarly and also because its cost effective...we wouldnt have to spend much money to get to the game and the fans would come out in greater number oh yeah and the band would come cant forget them

R.A.
November 15th, 2010, 01:51 PM
actually we were kinda lookin at coastal, furman, wofford, and cit to create a nice lil instate rivarly and also because its cost effective...we wouldnt have to spend much money to get to the game and the fans would come out in greater number oh yeah and the band would come cant forget them

Here's the thing about that.

The Citadel and Furman don't want to play SC State when SC State is strong. A 5-6 or 6-5 SC State program, and those schools will be knocking down SC State's door... but a 9-2/ 10-3 SC State program, and they will avoid the Bulldogs at all costs.

Wofford, doesn't want to play SC State in Orangeburg. The Terriers are happy to host the Bulldogs in Spartanburg all day long. But they almost lost a few years ago in Orangeburg, and are too afraid to drive back down to Orangeburg where things might not go their way.

Coastal Carolina has actually went public and said that they want to establish a continuous rivalry year in and year out with SC State. SC State actually turned Coastal down citing that they are exploring more FBS money games.

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Here's the thing about that.

The Citadel and Furman don't want to play SC State when SC State is strong. A 5-6 or 6-5 SC State program, and those schools will be knocking down SC State's door... but a 9-2/ 10-3 SC State program, and they will avoid the Bulldogs at all costs.

Wofford, doesn't want to play SC State in Orangeburg. The Terriers are happy to host the Bulldogs in Spartanburg all day long. But they almost lost a few years ago in Orangeburg, and are too afraid to drive back down to Orangeburg where things might not go their way.

Coastal Carolina has actually went public and said that they want to establish a continuous rivalry year in and year out with SC State. SC State actually turned Coastal down citing that they are exploring more FBS money games.

So, when other teams don't want to play SC State, they're ducking them. When SC State doesn't want to play a .500 OOC team, it's about the $$$.

TexasTerror
November 15th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Pough knows the Terror has his back... xwhistlex

The Bulldogs are IN per our weekly prognostications! xthumbsupx

Mr. C
November 15th, 2010, 02:35 PM
So, when other teams don't want to play SC State, they're ducking them. When SC State doesn't want to play a .500 OOC team, it's about the $$$.
I think you misread what was written. The other teams don't want to play South Carolina State unless the Bulldogs are a .500 team.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I don't know if SC State is more deserving of an at large berth than any other school. That is always a difficult question. I have seen SC State in Dover a few times in the last 15 or so years. They are consistently tough, hard nosed, disciplined, and well coached. The Dawgs will tend to be in game with just about anyone.

Del State had a SC State assistant come on board as head coach of DSU before the prior administration. The Poor guy got totally hosed. DSU never gave the guy a full scollie commitment. In order to get a decent workout facility the coach worked out an agreement with a local fitness club. Coach Bicknell was doing things right. It was a shame how he was treated.

I pretty much wrote the same thing you are pointing out when Coach Bicknell was fired.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I think you misread what was written. The other teams don't want to play South Carolina State unless the Bulldogs are a .500 team.

No, he was talking about CCU.

R.A.
November 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Hey... i would rather the Bulldogs play Coastal over freak'n Valley.