PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 12.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM
This past week I went 3-1, Furman let me down against Elon. Chattanooga and Georgia Southern have indicated that they are not dead yet. Congratulations to Appalachian State for winning their sixth consecutive SoCon title. This week's power rankings (number of parenthesis indicates number of wins needed to be eligible for an at-large playoff bid).

1) Appalachian State (AQ) - Wins sixth straight conference title with authority.
2) Wofford (Qualified) - received a beatdown at the hands of ASU
3) Chattanooga (1*) - Bounced back vs. Samford with authority
4) Georgia Southern (1*) - Now Furman stands in the way of them making the playoffs
5) Elon (out) - spoiled Furman's chances of making the playoffs
6) Furman (out) - playoff hopes are dead with loss to Elon
7) Samford (out) - got hammered against BJ and the Mocs
8) Western Carolina (out) - will next week's game vs. Elon be Wagner's last?
9) The Citadel (out) - see Western Carolina

*-indicates one loss away from elimination for at-large consideration

This week's games
Western Carolina @ Elon - Dennis Wagner's coaching stint @ WCU could be numbered.
The Citadel @ Samford - Samford bounces back with a win to send their seniors off.
Georgia Southern @ Furman - Eagles win with hopes of flying into the playoffs.
Chattanooga @ Wofford (Game of the week #1)- Chattanooga bounced back big time against Samford after coming two losses (one as expected vs. Auburn, the other not so much vs. Elon). Wofford who was undefeated prior to the ASU beatdown. Given how well Chattanooga has bounced back, I will go with
the Mocs as they are on a mission to make the playoffs for the first time in some time.
Appalachian State @ Florida (Game of the week #2) - Appalachian State rolls into the Swamp to take on a down Florida Gators team (by Florida Gators standards). Although I am not saying that Florida is going to lose this game, but if by the grace of God and/or some semblance of a miracle they do, I know
a few former co-workers of mine that will need to stand by. I am thinking Florida by no more than three TDs.

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Appalachian and Wofford are in the playoffs.

Chattanooga and GSU are on the edge. If Chattanooga beats Wofford next week and gets to 7-4 they have an excellent chance of being in.

If Georgia Southern beats Furman to go to 7-4 they have a good chance also.

I am wondering if the committee will put 4 SoCon teams in. Chattanooga did beat Georgia Southern head to head, but Ga. Southern has the best win of the 2 when they beat Appalachian St.

seantaylor
November 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
A 7-4 GSU team gets in over any other 7-4 team in the field. We'll have the best win, and the NCAA goes by attendance and how much money a school will bring them.

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
blabbity, blab, blab.

tractorapp
November 13th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Both UTC and GSU deserve to get in if they can get to 7-4. Both are teams to be reckoned with in the coming years and both will be dangerous if they make the playoffs this year. Great athletes on both teams that are coming together at the end of the regualar season.

longtimemocfan
November 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM
A 7-4 GSU team gets in over any other 7-4 team in the field. We'll have the best win, and the NCAA goes by attendance and how much money a school will bring them.

Never mind, I forgot to see who this post was from so I'm not even going to respond.

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Never mind, I forgot to see who this post was from so I'm not even going to respond.

You saw what response I gave. :)

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I would like to think Chatt and GSU could both get in at 7-4 but I am not sure of that. Chattanooga defeated GSU and that carries weight, but GSU will end in the season with the best win (a win over probably #1 or #2 seed Appalachian St.).

It comes down to how many CAA teams get in. Some of their fans are talked 5 or 6.

Both Chatt and GSU have tough games next week. Chatt has a tough one at Wofford and GSU plays at Furman.

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I would like to think Chatt and GSU could both get in at 7-4 but I am not sure of that. Chattanooga defeated GSU and that carries weight, but GSU will end in the season with the best win (a win over probably #1 or #2 seed Appalachian St.).

It comes down to how many CAA teams get in. Some of their fans are talked 5 or 6.

Both Chatt and GSU have tough games next week. Chatt has a tough one at Wofford and GSU plays at Furman.

I don't deny that GSU would have the better marquee win...but how do y'all honestly get past the fact that 1) you lost head to head to Chattanooga, 2) Chattanooga only lost to ASU themselves on a failed 2-point conversion, and 3) Chattanooga played a stronger out of conference schedule.

And what Sean said about attendance is hogwash...the NCAA doesn't care how many tickets you sell...they care about how much money you promise...and I promise you, Chattanooga can meet or beat anyone's gaurantee.

Of course, beating Wofford at Wofford is going to be extremely tough...so the point could be moot.

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I believe we both have a chance at 7-4. I don't know how the committee will look at it. I would put Chatt a bit higher than GSU on the pecking order right now. A win over Wofford would put Chatt's chances at about 80% I would think. I believe GSU would be in better shape with a Chatt loss and a GSU win.

But if all these CAA teams can get in at 7-4, why not Chatt and GSU both at 7-4?

theasushow
November 13th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I believe we both have a chance at 7-4. I don't know how the committee will look at it. I would put Chatt a bit higher than GSU on the pecking order right now. A win over Wofford would put Chatt's chances at about 80% I would think. I believe GSU would be in better shape with a Chatt loss and a GSU win.

But if all these CAA teams can get in at 7-4, why not Chatt and GSU both at 7-4?

erase that last sentence immediatley before we get bombarded.....j/k

seantaylor
November 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I don't deny that GSU would have the better marquee win...but how do y'all honestly get past the fact that 1) you lost head to head to Chattanooga, 2) Chattanooga only lost to ASU themselves on a failed 2-point conversion, and 3) Chattanooga played a stronger out of conference schedule.

And what Sean said about attendance is hogwash...the NCAA doesn't care how many tickets you sell...they care about how much money you promise...and I promise you, Chattanooga can meet or beat anyone's gaurantee.

Of course, beating Wofford at Wofford is going to be extremely tough...so the point could be moot.

hahaha. A team that just had 9K at a home game can't meet or beat anyone's price.

chattanoogamocs
November 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
hahaha. A team that just had 9K at a home game can't meet or beat anyone's price.

blabbity blab blab. you're mouth keeps running, but nothing new ever comes out.

If this is all you got...GSU has got real problems (besides not being able to beat UTC, when it mattered, on the field).

We got plenty of money to host Sean...and an AD that knows what to do with it.

seantaylor
November 14th, 2010, 04:19 AM
blabbity blab blab. you're mouth keeps running, but nothing new ever comes out.

If this is all you got...GSU has got real problems (besides not being able to beat UTC, when it mattered, on the field).

We got plenty of money to host Sean...and an AD that knows what to do with it.

We don't have any problems. We'll destroy you guys in our second year in the system in Paulson. You know, like we do every year. Whats the all time record again? You guys have no money. But keep thinking that. If it comes down to a bid, you guys have no shot in hell.

OL FU
November 14th, 2010, 06:43 AM
This past week I went 3-1, Furman let me down against Elon. Chattanooga and Georgia Southern have indicated that they are not dead yet. Congratulations to Appalachian State for winning their sixth consecutive SoCon title. This week's power rankings (number of parenthesis indicates number of wins needed to be eligible for an at-large playoff bid).

1) Appalachian State (AQ) - Wins sixth straight conference title with authority.
4) Georgia Southern (1*) - Now Furman stands in the way of them making the playoffs

This week's games
Western Carolina @ Elon - Dennis Wagner's coaching stint @ WCU could be numbered.
The Citadel @ Samford - Samford bounces back with a win to send their seniors off.
Chattanooga @ Wofford (Game of the week #1)- Chattanooga bounced back big time against Samford after coming two losses (one as expected vs. Auburn, the other not so much vs. Elon). Wofford who was undefeated prior to the ASU beatdown. Given how well Chattanooga has bounced back, I will go with
the Mocs as they are on a mission to make the playoffs for the first time in some time.
Appalachian State @ Florida (Game of the week #2) - Appalachian State rolls into the Swamp to take on a down Florida Gators team (by Florida Gators standards). Although I am not saying that Florida is going to lose this game, but if by the grace of God and/or some semblance of a miracle they do, I know
a few former co-workers of mine that will need to stand by. I am thinking Florida by no more than three TDs.

I realize that it probably isn't a good comparison but last night was the first time I watched Florida and I know USC has a good defense, but Florida looked terrible. I know you have to do what you have to do but that three QB scheme is just awful. I think you guys got a good chance.

OL FU
November 14th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I stay amazed that anyone responds to STxrotatehx

OL FU
November 14th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Looking back, the only thing I got right about this year was that ASU would be at the top and the Citadel would be at the bottomxbawlingx

Winners

Elon (as I have said before, a better team than their record indicates)
Samford (should have been a better team than their record indicates)
Wofford (although something has happened to the l'il dogs since the start of the season, they still mostly win but that beat down saturday was ugly and not expected. They will still pull it out)
Florida ( but I will be rooting for you backwoods, country, hayseed, hick, bumpkin yokel hillbillies:D).
Georgia Southern ( not unusual for Furman or GSU to spoil each others post season hopes, but not this year although I am still hopeful)

Laserlips
November 14th, 2010, 07:19 AM
FWIW:

Obviously I'm a big GSU fan, but I should think if it comes down to a choice between GSU and Chatt for a playoff spot Chatt should get it for beating GSU head to head.

But,having said that of course I hope our Eagles beat Furman at their house (never an easy thing to do), and of course that Woofie beats Chatt..

That would resolve the issue for us...

However, I wouldn't be unhappy if BOTH GSU and Chatt made the playoff's... The more SOCON teams playing, the better.xthumbsupx

I just don't see that happening it seems traditionally the selection committee isn't overly generous to the SOCON in their choices.

But hey, I'm old what do I know?

No offense to anyone.

Jesse

kdinva
November 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Elon 34, WCU 13
Samford 24, The Citadel 13
GSU 23, Furman 17
Wofford 31, UTC 20
App. St. 28, Florida 25

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I stay amazed that anyone responds to STxrotatehx

Because I love getting a dolt like this all riled up...every response gets dumber an dumber.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 14th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I realize that it probably isn't a good comparison but last night was the first time I watched Florida and I know USC has a good defense, but Florida looked terrible. I know you have to do what you have to do but that three QB scheme is just awful. I think you guys got a good chance.

If Florida plays ASU the way they played last night vs. USC, ASU just might have a chance.

noogamoc
November 14th, 2010, 01:11 PM
A Mocs win Saturday will take care of this debate. What happens with GS and FU will not matter.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Just a thought about the GSU-Furman game.

In 2003 Furman comes into the game still alive for the playoffs and GSU is already pretty much out of it..GSU wins and Furman's playoff hopes end.
In 2004 GSU's only loss was to UGA and we just needed to beat Furman to pretty much secure a seed...GSU loses the game, and ends up playing New Hampshire in the monsoon instead of one of the lower playoff teams.
In 2005 Furman was ranked #1 coming into the game with GSU being 1 game away from elimination. GSU wins and Furman ends up having to play App. in Boone instead of Greenville in the semis.
In 2006 GSU very nearly eliminates Furman from contention in the same season GSU's playoff chances practically ended after week 1.
In 2007 GSU needed to just win the game to get the autobid while Furman was already out of it coming into the game. GSU misses a short last-second field goal and then loses to Colorado State in a close one and misses the playoffs.
In 2008 GSU was out of the playoff hunt and Furman was still in it, and GSU wins the game.

Anyone sensing a trend here? Seems there's a rule that the team having the better season coming into the game must lose the game. Uh Oh.

whoanellie
November 14th, 2010, 03:55 PM
getting invited into the play-offs does not mean you'll host anything.

appsfan
November 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM
If Chattanooga gets in, would it be some type of poetic justice for them to host a playoff game the first year the championship game is elsewhere?

chattownmocs
November 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I dont even see how there could be a controversy if we win this game. There have been maybe 2 games(at the most) in which you could watch us and say we arent a top 20 teams. The other 8 games you would say "yeah, thats definitely a top 20 team" As far as the attendance goes, we have had big big crowds when we havent been directly up against tennessee. Hopefully the schedule makers will figure that out and throw us a bone. Our crowds would have been much larger if they would schedule us at different times than the vols.

chattownmocs
November 14th, 2010, 04:14 PM
BTW, If chattanooga beats Wofford, why wouldnt that put chattanooga ahead of Wofford? I would think that this game would be for the 2nd highest seed out of the Southern conference.

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I am not sure why people keep making attendance and issue (btw, the season avg for the Mocs was nearly 13K this year, which is good enough to be in the top 25 attendance wise).

All that matters is which schools will put up the money the NCAA wants to host a game (and if more than 4 schools put in bids, then who the highest bids). The onus is then on the school to sell tickets and make the money back...the NCAA is "gettin' theirs" on the front end. First round games are not going to be on TV, so attendance, or "if the stands look full" are non-factors.

But again, I digress...this is a pointless conversation if the Mocs can't beat a wounded, pissed off, bunch of Terriers.

Eagle22
November 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I dont even see how there could be a controversy if we win this game. There have been maybe 2 games(at the most) in which you could watch us and say we arent a top 20 teams. The other 8 games you would say "yeah, thats definitely a top 20 team" As far as the attendance goes, we have had big big crowds when we havent been directly up against tennessee. Hopefully the schedule makers will figure that out and throw us a bone. Our crowds would have been much larger if they would schedule us at different times than the vols.

Here's the only problem I have with this ... If Chattanooga is a top 20 team (and I agree they are), and GSU has losses to Wofford, UTC and Navy and Samford all by 7 points or less, what in the world is preventing the 'voters' from putting GSU in the top 25 at 6-4 when the other power conferences have most of their 6-4 teams in there ?

I'm guessing that the voters don't have Chattanooga higher, perhaps they view Chattanooga not having a quality win yet ?

If Chattanooga beats Wofford, I think Chattanooga has a chance at a home game, but only a slim one. Wofford loses they will definitely go on the road.

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2010, 04:43 PM
If Chattanooga gets in, would it be some type of poetic justice for them to host a playoff game the first year the championship game is elsewhere?

yes. :)

theasushow
November 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM

I agree with UTC being a top 20 team (i have them 19 in my poll)...but the Tennessee thing doesnt fly for me, a lot of FCS teams have BCS teams nearby that take away attendance. Elon for example is within less than 2 hours of UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. Furman is also close to teams like Clemson and South Carolina.

Milktruck74
November 14th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I agree with UTC being a top 20 team (i have them 19 in my poll)...but the Tennessee thing doesnt fly for me, a lot of FCS teams have BCS teams nearby that take away attendance. Elon for example is within less than 2 hours of UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. Furman is also close to teams like Clemson and South Carolina.

Being from the heart of NC (25 miles from Elon) I would have agreed with you, until I lived in East Tennessee. People in ACC country just don't get the commitment of the Vol Fanbase. UTC going up against the Vols will reduce ticket sale by 3000-4000. Honestly, it is not uncommon to see gameday window flags in April. They would prefer to sit at home and watch a horible Vols team on TV than show up at a Mocs Game. But that is slowly changing.

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2010, 05:22 PM

It is a legit reason...this was the first time this season that there was a conflict with a UTK game (it was on TV, was a winnable game for them and it overlapped the Mocs start time)

You would have to live here to get what a pull the Vols have...(I am embarrassed to admit that) there are literally over 10,000 UTK season ticket holders in the Chattanooga area (Elon might be in the middle of ACC teams...but Chattanooga is at the intersection of Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia...all three have huge followings in Chattanooga, to the point where each has its own page in the paper and their own beat writers)

But, I think it also has something to do with casual fan interest in a matchup...the two biggest draws were ASU and GSU (over 15K each)...both of those programs are well known across the South. I don't think people in Chattanooga got terribly excited over EKU, Elon and Samford (no offense intended to fans of those schools).

And some of it is just not drawing as well for early games as later one's (Chattanoogans seem to prefer 6pm starts...I know I do).

But again, the Mocs averaged better than 75% of FCS this year...going from a 5K ("paid") to nearly 13K (legit) a game in 2 seasons isn't too bad.

I would like to see where the Mocs average about 15-17K for the season...which if they continue to progress, is realistic.

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Being from the heart of NC (25 miles from Elon) I would have agreed with you, until I lived in East Tennessee. People in ACC country just don't get the commitment of the Vol Fanbase. UTC going up against the Vols will reduce ticket sale by 3000-4000. Honestly, it is not uncommon to see gameday window flags in April. They would prefer to sit at home and watch a horible Vols team on TV than show up at a Mocs Game. But that is slowly changing.

+1
(I was writing basically the same response while you posted yours) :)

phoenix3
November 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Not to be picky, but Elon is 1 hour or less from UNC, Duke, NCSU and Wake. We struggle with this every fall. I have friends that live in Burlington/Alamance County that like Elon and will go to an Elon game if their favorite ACC team is away. But if Elon and their ACC favorite are both home, they go to the ACC game.

chattownmocs
November 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Im not sure that Elon or Furman are averaging more fans than Chattanooga. Correct me if I am wrong there. Also as far as elon goes, you cannot be serious as far as Elon goes. UNC, NC state, Duke and Wake forest combined would not eqaul the fanatical fan base of Tennessee. I dont see how that would be a comparison. As far as furman goes, again clemson and south carolina are good programs but tennessee is a legendary football program with a fanbase that is matched by few accross the country. But the fact remains that When a chattanooga game has not conflicted with a tennessee game we have had 17,000 plus both times. The other games we have been around 10,000.

AndrewFU21
November 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I think if both teams are 7-4, Chattanooga would get the nod over GSU, since they won the head-to-head game and since they will have finished higher in the standings(UTC would be tied for 2nd, GSU would be 4th). GSU would have a better marquee win, but UTC would have a win over Wofford and have much better losses than GSU.

Of course, it is possible that both teams will be 6-5 at the end of the week

Smitty
November 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM
They won't get rid of Wagner yet. They have said it is too early and let him get his recruiting classes in. If you think about it Wagner has 3 classes so far, most of the veterans for the past 2 years have been injured. This includes 7 scholarship players.

Anyway it will be next year or the year after before they decide whether to get rid of him or not.

theasushow
November 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM
(note to self.. never ever ever ever underestimate the power of Vols football....in every geographical direction)

MountaineerNation
November 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM

This week's games

Elon for sure. I really doubt Western will put up much effort to win this game
Samford
Georgia Southern in a close one
Chattanooga vs Wofford - question for me in this one is this: does Wofford bounce back in a big way, or do they continue the struggles on offense? I think Chattanooga wins this one
Appalachian over Florida :p

biggie
November 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Western Carolina @ Elon
The Citadel @ Samford
Georgia Southern @ Furman
Chattanooga @ Wofford - App may have given UTC the blueprint
Appalachian State @ Florida - A man can dream right?

With App and Woof in, Chatty really on the bubble, should be interesting on the selection show.

Woof
November 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Western Carolina @ Elon - Elon...not even close. Riddle throws for 300+ again
Citadel @ Samford - Sammy takes out frustration on the other slobber dogs.
Georgia Southern @ Furman - GSU playing for something. Furples demoralized. Eaglets win, but in one just close enough to be painful to OLFU.
Chattanooga @ Wofford - My Terriers are anemic on O right now. Chatty is rolling. I'm afraid we will still be licking our wounds from another nightmare experience in the Boonies. Coleman throws for 4 TDs and Chatty wins going away.
Appalachian State @ Florida - If both teams play like they did last Sat., this could be a game. Still gut says Meyer won't let an FCS team win in the swamp... but if ever there was a year to do it, this is it Appies. Just don't get too dinged up before the playoffs ?

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Can someone explain to me how wofford is a lock but chattanooga still might not be in with a win? If chattanooga wins by lets say, 3 tds wouldnt that put them ahead of wofford. Head-to-head. Higher finish in the socon standings. Better nonconference schedule. If not basically the committee would be sending a message NOT to schedule a game lik at Jacksonville state. Because that UTC loss at jacksonville state would be the only nod for wofford with everything tangible pointing towars the mocs.

gophoenix
November 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Im not sure that Elon or Furman are averaging more fans than Chattanooga. Correct me if I am wrong there. Also as far as elon goes, you cannot be serious as far as Elon goes. UNC, NC state, Duke and Wake forest combined would not eqaul the fanatical fan base of Tennessee. I dont see how that would be a comparison. As far as furman goes, again clemson and south carolina are good programs but tennessee is a legendary football program with a fanbase that is matched by few accross the country. But the fact remains that When a chattanooga game has not conflicted with a tennessee game we have had 17,000 plus both times. The other games we have been around 10,000.

It's not about being a comparison. And it doesn't matter than Tennessee is legendary. The point is, being close to the other games for Elon and Furman take away from local walkup sales; just like following the Vols took away from ETSU and takes away from UTC.

I'll never forget those ETSU games I went to where more cheers went up when the Vols game score was announced than ETSU got for TDs.

You got 17,000 for 3 reasons. 1) It is App and GSU where fans travel well; both are well accustomed to making the trip to Chattanooga from before. 2) Your fans turn up because of the names those two teams historically mean. Despite what App fans say, only 3-4k of the 15k at last year's games were Elon fans. We pull in 11k for a family weekend but the fans come out in droves for what the fans think is a rivalry. 3) You get more local interest not only because of the bigger name of the opponent, but there was more marketing for those games and UT didn't have a game.

It is a combination of factors. Your comparison and logic aren't apples to apples either. Elon has multiple factors to deal with. Wake/UNC/Duke/NC State are within 30 minutes to 1 hour away. Virginia Tech is a little over 2 hours away. NC Central and NC A&T are also within 30 minutes. There's a LOT of competition for exposure here.

asknoquarter21
November 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I think it is pretty simple in the socon for playoffs:

I don't think there is any way we get 4 teams from the socon.

ASU is in
Wofford is in (could potentially still get #5 seed with solid win)
UTC is in if they beat wofford (then both are playing in the first round)
GSU is in if UTC loses to WC and they beat Furman. While this isn't very fair on the surface UTC does have head to head with GSU.

It is possible only ASU and WC make the playoffs, but if I had to bet on it I would say one of UTC or GSU is also in.

chattownmocs
November 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM
The number 1 factor by far is a game conflicting with tennessee. The others are secondary. Sure GSU and app state have big names. But that isnt going to drive people in east tennessee away from a tennessee game. Or would anything else. Tennessee football is king. period. There is no competition. If the vols arent playing chattanooga will have a big crowd. If they are they wont.

chattanoogamocs
November 15th, 2010, 12:31 PM
It's not about being a comparison. And it doesn't matter than Tennessee is legendary. The point is, being close to the other games for Elon and Furman take away from local walkup sales; just like following the Vols took away from ETSU and takes away from UTC.

I'll never forget those ETSU games I went to where more cheers went up when the Vols game score was announced than ETSU got for TDs.

You got 17,000 for 3 reasons. 1) It is App and GSU where fans travel well; both are well accustomed to making the trip to Chattanooga from before. 2) Your fans turn up because of the names those two teams historically mean. Despite what App fans say, only 3-4k of the 15k at last year's games were Elon fans. We pull in 11k for a family weekend but the fans come out in droves for what the fans think is a rivalry. 3) You get more local interest not only because of the bigger name of the opponent, but there was more marketing for those games and UT didn't have a game.

It is a combination of factors. Your comparison and logic aren't apples to apples either. Elon has multiple factors to deal with. Wake/UNC/Duke/NC State are within 30 minutes to 1 hour away. Virginia Tech is a little over 2 hours away. NC Central and NC A&T are also within 30 minutes. There's a LOT of competition for exposure here.

After reading both comments, your logic isn't much better.
And there were no more than 1,500 ASU or GSU fans at the UTC game...even their fans agreed (though I still applaud the turnout for both).

SouthernEagle02
November 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I think it is pretty simple in the socon for playoffs:

I don't think there is any way we get 4 teams from the socon.

ASU is in
Wofford is in (could potentially still get #5 seed with solid win)
UTC is in if they beat wofford (then both are playing in the first round)
GSU is in if UTC loses to WC and they beat Furman. While this isn't very fair on the surface UTC does have head to head with GSU.

It is possible only ASU and WC make the playoffs, but if I had to bet on it I would say one of UTC or GSU is also in.

Agree 100%. Although I find it funny no one has brought up NCAA politics into the discussion on whether or not UTC gets selected. Think about it. NCAA takes the title game out of Chatty and now that UTC has played better than most expected, so I can see the NCAA taking them over a fourth CAA team & Ga Southern and allowing UTC to host a first round game as a way of making up for the bone head decision to move the championship game to Frisco.

Woof
November 15th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Don't worry, Chattown, if the selection committee can find a reason (and they usually can), we'll get "woofed"....of course if we play ya'll like we did App, I'd just as soon we stay home.

gophoenix
November 15th, 2010, 01:01 PM
And there were no more than 1,500 ASU or GSU fans at the UTC game...even their fans agreed (though I still applaud the turnout for both).

Reading the MMB, they seem to think they had 5000 or more for that game.

SpeedkingATL
November 15th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Western Carolina @ Elon - Elon has finally found their footing after a horrible start and will be one of the best teams sitting at home when the playoffs begin. WCU has to be demoralized after what they though would be an improvement year turning into more of the same. Elon rolls as Riddle pads his excellent career resume.

The Citadel @ Samford - Sammy is another team that has played well but had poor results. Citadel unfortunately has been totally awful on offense and they won't get better against Sammy. Sammy wins.

Georgia Southern @ Furman - Always a good rivarly game. GaSo has gained a lot of confidence the last couple of weeks and is riding that confidence to another win. The home field won't save Furple as the Eagles make their bid for playoff inclusion.

Chattanooga @ Wofford - Chatty has their offense in high gear and they probably learned a couple of things about Wofford, watching the App beatdown. If the Ankle-biters can get off to a good start and play time consuming, long drive football they can keep Colemen and the Mocs off the field. With a posible playoff slot on the line I see Chatty win in a squeaker.

Appalachian State @ Florida - This game should be a mismatch and the Gators may be in a fowl mood after the Cock beatdown. If App can get off to a good start and get the Swamp crowd down on the home team they have a chance to make it interesting. No prediction but here's hopeing the Apps make it a contest and remain healthy for the playoffs. Play like they did in the first half against Wofford and anything is possible.

appfan2008
November 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Watched that game too... makes me feel we have a shot but at the same time... i doubt it... i hope for the best!

Saint3333
November 15th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Reading the MMB, they seem to think they had 5000 or more for that game.

"They" may be misused in this situation. I assume you have a link? Elon may be up or down (mostly down) depending on the year, but their hate and envy of ASU is consistent.

I'll go:
Furman - the save Bobby Lambs job drive may be too late
UTC - Wofford's pass defense isn't as good as I thought
Elon - it's WCU
Samford it's Citadel
NP - except that 4,000 ASU fans will be bringing the ROCK to the swamp, of which I'm sure GP will audit...

gophoenix
November 15th, 2010, 01:40 PM
"They" may be misused in this situation. I assume you have a link? Elon may be up or down (mostly down) depending on the year, but their hate and envy of ASU is consistent.

I'll go:
Furman - the save Bobby Lambs job drive may be too late
UTC - Wofford's pass defense isn't as good as I thought
Elon - it's WCU
Samford it's Citadel
NP - except that 4,000 ASU fans will be bringing the ROCK to the swamp, of which I'm sure GP will audit...

My hate of ASU.... most Elon fans just don't like them :-D

-sigh- let me go pull up the URL for it,, so I can cross post on forums, which I don't like to do.
But no, I am no auditor, that's none other than BigApp or AppMan, whoever it was, that went to Elon to count the seats to "debunk" the seating amount on the NCAA website.

elon77
November 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM
There's a chance that Chatty, GSU, and Elon could all finish with the same record, 6-5 and tied for third in the Socon. Like Elon, the other two could also be sitting home over Thanksgiving. The sad thing is Chatty, GSU, and ELON are all dang good football teams who could beat anyone.

SpeedkingATL
November 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM
There's a chance that Chatty, GSU, and Elon could all finish with the same record, 6-5 and tied for third in the Socon. Like Elon, the other two could also be sitting home over Thanksgiving. The sad thing is Chatty, GSU, and ELON are all dang good football teams who could beat anyone.

I totally agree. No team would celebrate having to face any of those 3 in the first round.

Eaglesrus
November 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Didn't look this up, so I don't know about Elon, but I'm pretty sure that if Chatty and GSU both end up 6 - 5 then Chatty would have one more conference win than us and therefore finish ahead of us in the conference, not to mention having won the head-to-head.

whoanellie
November 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I am very glad UTC has had developed a better home attendance. mainly because they are winning. 2 seasons ago when they had maybe 2k in the stands for Elon made a coaching change necessary.
It would be a plus to have 3 SoCon teams in the playoffs. Play in games do start this Saturday.

whoanellie
November 15th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Actually every ACC stadium is an hour away from Elon. With staggered kickoff times I have made an Elon and a Wake game the same day.

Milktruck74
November 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Actually every ACC stadium is an hour away from Elon. With staggered kickoff times I have made an Elon and a Wake game the same day.

Wow, you drive fast. the best I can do to Miami and BC is an 1hr 15 mins. You probably meant Every ACC stadium in NC???

JSU85GRAD
November 15th, 2010, 09:17 PM
So the question is if UTC beats Wofford doesn't that put UTC ahead of Wofford? If only 2 teams from Socon get in wouldn't they be ASU and UTC? If 3 get in would Wofford get in without a quality win? The way I see it is if UTC wins then ASU, UTC and Wofford get in. If Wofford beats UTC and GSU wins then ASU, Wofford are in and probably GSU even though UTC has the head to head against them.

Reign of Terrier
November 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
So the question is if UTC beats Wofford doesn't that put UTC ahead of Wofford? If only 2 teams from Socon get in wouldn't they be ASU and UTC? If 3 get in would Wofford get in without a quality win? The way I see it is if UTC wins then ASU, UTC and Wofford get in. If Wofford beats UTC and GSU wins then ASU, Wofford are in and probably GSU even though UTC has the head to head against them.

Wofford has pretty much clinched a spot provided we don't blow it like we did last week this week. I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow got shafted but at the same time I doubt that will happen.

eaglewraith
November 15th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Wofford has pretty much clinched a spot provided we don't blow it like we did last week this week. I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow got shafted but at the same time I doubt that will happen.

Just do us a favor and destroy Chatty

phoenix3
November 16th, 2010, 09:17 AM

After playing Wofford I was surprised at the ease with which we made adjustments & shut them down. After seeing ASU dismantle the Terriers, I'm not sure that they will have what it takes to pull off a win against UTC. This game will come down to how well Wofford's D can stop UTC. If UTC studies the Wofford vs. ASU and Elon game films, they should be able to muster the D to at least slow down this year's Wofford O. I'm pulling for Wofford but I expect UTC to win. I don't think that takes Wofford out of the playoffs, but I'm not sure what it does to UTC and GSU.

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
noone eems to be able to answer the question how Wofford is a lock regardless and utc isnt even if they beat wofford. If chatt beats wofford they should be the 2nd team in from the socon and wofford the 3rd.

asknoquarter21
November 16th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I don't think there is any debate to that.

If UTC wins they are in

Wofford is in even if they lose because of the number of Wins and not slipping up on any teams they were expected to beat.

This year 7 wins looks golden in the Socon unless your GSU then you need help unfortunately

gsugt1
November 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM
noone eems to be able to answer the question how Wofford is a lock regardless and utc isnt even if they beat wofford. If chatt beats wofford they should be the 2nd team in from the socon and wofford the 3rd.

Because they are 8-3 and you are 7-4.

gsugt1
November 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM
If UTC wins they are in

Here is one person hoping UTC loses :)

chattanoogamocs
November 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM

You know, the more I think about it, you are right.

I think Wofford attained their status, partially on the way their schedule set up...they lost to Ohio (expected) and then won 8 straight (which gets you a lot of attention)...Chattanooga had the misfortune of playing to ranked teams the first two weeks and had to dig themselves out of a hole (and then throw in a BCs team when you still have three FCS games to play).

The only misstep for Chattanooga was Elon...but, that would cancel out if the Mocs beat Wofford.

Both would have the same number of DI wins (7)...both would have comaparable GPI numbers (the Mocs might even jump over them with a win)...they would both be tied for 2nd in the conference and Chattanooga, of course, would have the head to head (and Chattanooga played a tougher schedule JSU, EKU, and Auburn while Wofford played Ohio, Chas Sou and Non DI)

I would argue this is a good example of a name team (past accomplishments) helping itself out in the voting...Wofford rocketed to the top 10 because they are a known quantity...Chattanooga (in some polls) could barely get a sniff (because they have been bad so long)

Of course, the Mocs will drop to 3rd place if they don't beat Wofford and the whole conversation is moot. Thank God I am a fan and not a player (and can speculate all day on these things) :)

chattownmocs
November 16th, 2010, 01:58 PM

If that carries an ounce of weight with the committee there needs to be some changes. I think the fact that chattanooga would have beaten wofford and finished ahead of them in the SOCON would carry a little more weight than the fact that Wofford played 0 elite FCS nonconference games and chatt went to jacksonville state. Both played a BCS game.

chattanoogamocs
November 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM

They would be 7-3 in DI games...if they hadn't played a non-DI, I don't think there would be much argument about Wofford being ahead...but if they ended up with essentially the same record and the same in the SoCon standings (and Chattanooga won head to head)...there is at least an argument is the 2nd team from the SoCon.

But I fully agree...they are in either way.

Go Apps
November 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think UTC is a popular choice if they win they are in - WHY?

It is a payback of sorts for all of the great years hosting the National Title with class in Chattanooga - they will also give them a home game in the first round - a large crowd and in a year when you thoughts the playoffs would not involve UTC - this will be the committee's easiest choice if they win

GSUhooligan
November 16th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I think UTC is a popular choice if they win they are in - WHY?

It is a payback of sorts for all of the great years hosting the National Title with class in Chattanooga - they will also give them a home game in the first round - a large crowd and in a year when you thoughts the playoffs would not involve UTC - this will be the committee's easiest choice if they win

Let's go Wofford!

chattanoogamocs
November 16th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Let's go Wofford!

That's gotta be tough for you guys to have to say. :)

GSUhooligan
November 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
That's gotta be tough for you guys to have to say. :)

Not as bad as pulling for App or Furman, but it is definitely weird.

GunsAndGuitars
November 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Let's go Wofford!

And Hell begins to freeze.

chattanoogamocs
November 16th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I hope that GSU and UTC win....and a crap load of other bubble teams from other conferences get beat...and then the SoCon gets four!

phoenix3
November 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I hope that GSU and UTC win....and a crap load of other bubble teams from other conferences get beat...and then the SoCon gets four!

I'll toast that!

GunsAndGuitars
November 16th, 2010, 04:55 PM

It would be cool to see. I think UTC has a shot if Coleman can keep from throwing picks. Wofford has a good pass D but needs to get the offense moving again. GSU and the Furple will be as interesting as ASU in Statesboro. All I can say is that this weekend in the SoCon is going to be a fun one to watch. I may even watch it in the woods this weekend as rifle season opens in NW NC. Since I have done 0 scouting, I'll probably take my phone with me to the woods and check scores while I sit. I know about as much about where the deer are this year as I do about what the scores will be at the end of this weekend. Well...Except for the fate of WCU and Citadel.

Milktruck74
November 16th, 2010, 05:08 PM

It's gonna be a great week in the SoCon. So many teams are actually playing for something. ASU - a check, Wofford - a seed, Chatty, FurryMen, GSU - Playoffs. Its gonna be fun!!!

sav eagle34
November 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Ha ha. I was just looking through Furman's game notes & this struck me

BOBBY LAMB ON CRUISE CONTROL
WCCP-FM 104.9 — Mondays, 10:45 a.m.
www.wccpfm.com/cruise-control.com (live streamed)
Host: Dan Scott
Call In Number: 1-800-499-1049

I guess that's the radio station??? No smack, but I had to post it because that's just too funny.