PDA

View Full Version : CAA Playoffs Chances

paward
November 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM
In the words of my beloved Grandmother, CAA playoffs picture is a........."HOT MESS"

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Can you or someone else provide the updated standings based on today's results, plus the remaining contest? Would love to see it all on 'paper'...

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Delaware is 9-1 home vs Nova
William & Mary is 7-3 home vs Richmond
Nova is 6-4 @ Delaware
Umass is 6-4 @ URI
Richmond is 6-4 @ W&M
UNH is 6-4 home vs Towson

The CAA may look down this year but without Hofstra and NU... everyones schedule got just that much harder missing only one team from the strongest conference.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Delaware is now a playoff lock, and controls their own destiny for the CAA title and autobid if they win next week. W&M should have no problem with a berth, but has a tough game against Richmond next week, but already has the 7 wins. UNH only has Towson left to play, so should be able to get to 7-4 and earn a berth. Richmond, UMass, and Villanova all now need to win next week to get to 7, and have to go through W&M, URI, and Delaware respectively to do it, so no easy games. URI, Maine, JMU, and Towson are effectively out of the playoff picture.

paward
November 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Team CAA Overall
Delaware 6-1 9-1
William & Mary 5-2 7-3
Massachusetts 4-3 6-4
New Hampshire 4-3 6-4
Richmond 4-3 6-4
Villanova 4-3 6-4
Rhode Island 3-4 4-6 eliminated
Maine 2-4 3-6 eliminated
James Madison 2-5 5-5 eliminated
Towson 0-6 1-8 eliminated

Can Villanova having a marignal season and squeeking in help the CAA get six teams in? Hmmmm makes you think!

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Nova is 6-4 @ Delaware
Umass is 6-4 @ URI
Richmond is 6-4 @ W&M
UNH is 6-4 home vs Towson

Guess you are looking at which of these teams gets in... a Villanova win vs Delaware gets them in... a Richmond win against W&M gets them in... New Hampshire is also in with a win... UMass may need help nationally due to losses vs UNH and Richmond, though early season results may be enough...

UNH - won @ Villanova, won v UMass, won v Richmond
UR - loss @ Villanova, won @ UMass, loss @ UNH
UMass - loss @ UNH, loss v Richmond, DNP Villanova
'Nova - won v Richmond, loss v UNH

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I think this is it...

Delaware: (9-1, 6-1) - Villanova
William and Mary: (7-3, 5-2) - Richmond
Massachusetts: (6-4, 4-3) - @Rhode Island
Villanova: (6-4, 4-3) - @Delaware
New Hampshire: (6-4, 4-3) - Towson
Richmond: (6-4, 4-3) - @William and Mary
Rhode Island: (4-6, 3-4) - Massachusetts
Maine: (4-6, 3-4) - James Madison
James Madison: (5-5, 2-5) - @Maine
Towson: (1-8, 0-6) - @New Hampshire

edit: too slow, obv, haha

UMass, Richmond, Villanova, New Hampshire all still alive. Delaware is definitely in, and W&M is probably in.

umassfan
November 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I dont see Nova winning and I hope UMass and W&M can take care of business. I dont see UNH losing to Towson. This should leave 4 CAA teams for the playoffs.

VUCats02
November 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM
If all 4 are 7-4, I think 1 of them gets screwed and doesn't make the playoffs but I do not know which team that would be.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I dont see Nova winning and I hope UMass and W&M can take care of business. I dont see UNH losing to Towson. This should leave 4 CAA teams for the playoffs.

My prediction for the CAA is Delaware, W&M, UNH, and UMass.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I see Delaware, W&M, UNH, Richmond (due to head-to-head over UMass)... if 'Nova defeats Delaware, things get interesting...

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I see Delaware, W&M, UNH, Richmond (due to head-to-head over UMass)... if 'Nova defeats Delaware, things get interesting...

hmm... I don't like this set of teams because that means W&M loses next week and probably has to play in the first round, lol. xbawlingx

tandemlax
November 13th, 2010, 05:05 PM
If all 4 are 7-4, I think 1 of them gets screwed and doesn't make the playoffs but I do not know which team that would be.

If all 4 that you speak of (I'm assuming Nova, Umass, UNH, Richmond) are 7-4, W&M would also be 7-4. What a mess that would be. With all the head to head victories those teams have against one another, the commmittee would have to teal with a serious mess....or let 6 in.

UNH Fanboi
November 13th, 2010, 05:12 PM
If all 4 that you speak of (I'm assuming Nova, Umass, UNH, Richmond) are 7-4, W&M would also be 7-4. What a mess that would be. With all the head to head victories those teams have against one another, the commmittee would have to teal with a serious mess....or let 6 in.

I think UNH would be pretty good in that scenario because they would be 3-1 against the other 7-4 teams. The H2H records of those 5 teams would be:

UNH: 3-1
W&M: 2-2
Richmond: 2-2
UMass: 1-2
Nova: 1-2

Jackman
November 13th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Richmond is absolutely limping to the end of the season. Damn thing about spiders, you can break their legs 6 times and they'll still keep wobbling along. Anyway, total respect for the grit they're showing, but I really hope W&M finishes them off. In their current condition I think they're a risk to put up against the MEAC/Big South/Patriot champion in the first round.

ur2k
November 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Richmond is absolutely limping to the end of the season. Damn thing about spiders, you can break their legs 6 times and they'll still keep wobbling along. Anyway, total respect for the grit they're showing, but I really hope W&M finishes them off. In their current condition I think they're a risk to put up against the MEAC/Big South/Patriot champion in the first round.

If we can beat you guys at your place with our 4th string QB, I'll take us in the playoffs against the Big South, MEAC, NEC, OVC, Patriot pu-pu platter.

Nebuta
November 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Wow. Total Chaos this week. Good thing is it means more CAA teams will be in the discussion for an at large, bad thing is alot of seasons will come down to one game to keep their playoff dreams alive, and only UD and W&M seem to be a lock for the playoffs. Look forward to Selection Sunday.

Maroon&White
November 13th, 2010, 05:54 PM
If we can beat you guys at your place with our 4th string QB, I'll take us in the playoffs against the Big South, MEAC, NEC, OVC, Patriot pu-pu platter.

Jackman is complimenting UR and you respond with that?

Old Cat Fan
November 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Well one thing for sure we all know, is that the CAA did kick the snort out of each other this year and some out of conference teams are going to be surprised at playoff time just how good a 7-4 team can be xnodx

WestCoastAggie
November 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM

I doubt 'Nova beats Delaware.

Jackman
November 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I'm sure Richmond fans would happily take their chances in the playoffs. But given the way they squeaked through the UMass, JMU and URI games, I just don't like matching them up against a motivated underdog looking to prove something against the big bad CAA. And I'm worried we'll end up hearing about it the following year when we're arguing that a 7-4 CAA team deserves a spot over a 1 or 2 loss team from a weaker conference. (Not that UMass isn't capable of laying an egg at any given moment.)

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I'm sure Richmond fans would happily take their chances in the playoffs. But given the way they squeaked through the UMass, JMU and URI games, I just don't like matching them up against a motivated underdog looking to prove something against the big bad CAA. And I'm worried we'll end up hearing about it the following year when we're arguing that a 7-4 CAA team deserves a spot over a 1 or 2 loss team from a weaker conference. (Not that UMass isn't capable of laying an egg at any given moment.)

I take it they squeaked through the UMass and JMU games better than W&M did, eh?

Sam Minuteman
November 13th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Everyone is comparing CAA teams against each other but the real question is going to be how they stack up against all the at large teams. I don't have the rule book in front of me but my guess is there is no minimum or maximum number of at large teams that any one conference can have.

I would be curious to see what someone who has more time and resources than I do puts together for a list of current at large candidates and their respective quality wins/losses and final opponent....

The real question may be how does the committee view the CAA as a whole...

WestCoastAggie
November 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM
There are going to be some p/o CAA teams next weekend.

Jackman
November 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I take it they squeaked through the UMass and JMU games better than W&M did, eh?

They won their games fair and square. Not saying they wouldn't be deserving based on their resume if they beat W&M. I just don't have any confidence in their ability to keep escaping with wins. Replay any of those games and I'd pick against Richmond every time. But they won the one time it mattered. That's football.

paward
November 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
There are going to be some p/o CAA teams next weekend.

I think there will be more pissed non CAA teams next week. There will be a ton of conferences that will only have one team to represent. If a field of 16 get five in, I am certain a field of 20 will do the same or one better.

heath
November 13th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Good luck Nova and Richmond next week. Some fight best with their backs against the wall,-but figuring the playoffs will wait until "the fat lady sings "or the CAA has finished its regular season.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
You obviously haven't seen many Villanova-Delaware games. This is one of the best rivalry games in FCS and should be a thriller, with so much on the line on Saturday. Plus, Matt Szczur should be back.

TwoFeathers
November 13th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Well one thing for sure we all know, is that the CAA did kick the snort out of each other this year and some out of conference teams are going to be surprised at playoff time just how good a 7-4 team can be xnodx

Totally agree...

ur2k
November 13th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Jackman is complimenting UR and you respond with that?

Yes, it was complimentary until the end. Did you miss that part?

Maroon&White
November 13th, 2010, 09:23 PM
What was wrong with the end?

BlueHenSinfonian
November 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
What was wrong with the end?

It was a bit of a backhanded compliment. 'Wow, you did better than I expected you to, now don't embarrass me by association when things get serious'.

MarchingMountaineer
November 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I think there will be more pissed non CAA teams next week. There will be a ton of conferences that will only have one team to represent. If a field of 16 get five in, I am certain a field of 20 will do the same or one better.

Based on what? There are only 2 teams from the CAA that have proven they belong. There are 4 other CAA teams that have to win even to get considered to make it 6, and there can't be any more. Maybe you should make sure Delaware, William & Mary, Rhode Island, and Towson are planning to take dives before you say you're certain. (I'd make sure they put it in writing.)

I'm predicting 4 make it to the playoffs, with Delaware with a top 2 seed, Massachusetts playing in the first week, and the current national champion watching from home.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Based on what? There are only 2 teams from the CAA that have proven they belong. There are 4 other CAA teams that have to win even to get considered to make it 6, and there can't be any more. Maybe you should make sure Delaware, William & Mary, Rhode Island, and Towson are planning to take dives before you say you're certain. (I'd make sure they put it in writing.)

I'm predicting 4 make it to the playoffs, with Delaware with a top 2 seed, Massachusetts playing in the first week, and the current national champion watching from home.

Given their record thus far I think Towson going down is a pretty safe bet, the other three games are going to be nail biters.

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Too bad W&M didn't get to play Towson instead of JMU... lol. We got the short end of the CAA scheduling stick. oh well, gotta win!

GannonFan
November 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM

Agreed - it's hard to be pissed if you're sitting at home at 7-4. If you only win 7 games, you'll always be on the bubble and you're putting your fate in someone else's hands. Sure, you might be better than a 9-2 team from a weak conference, but 8 wins total gets you in the playoffs from a top conference pretty much all the time. There's no basis for an argument if you only go 7-4. Just be thankful that some 7-4 teams get in.

Maroon&White
November 13th, 2010, 10:40 PM
It was a bit of a backhanded compliment. 'Wow, you did better than I expected you to, now don't embarrass me by association when things get serious'.

Or he just thought UR might struggle. Nothing wrong with thinking that.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 13th, 2010, 10:50 PM
In the year of expansion in the Tournament, CAA gets 5 teams in:

Delaware beats Villanova and is IN at 10-1 and is #1 seed in tourney xbandwagonx
UNH beats Towson and is IN at 7-4 xnodx
UMass beats URI and is IN at 7-4 xrotatehx
Richmond upsets "No O" W&M and is IN at 7-4 xsmileyclapx
William & Mary loses to Richmond, yet sneaks IN at 7-4 xscanx

Villanova loses to Delaware and is OUT at 6-5 xviolinx

BigApp
November 13th, 2010, 10:53 PM

I might be inclined to take you up on that...

paward
November 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM

Delaware beats Villanova and is IN at 10-1 and is #1 seed in tourney xbandwagonx

Additional Note: All that with the exception of Villanova winning. Could make things interesting. The committee have been known to do stranger things. The last five games appears to have a lot of weight with the pairings. I am not one of those that think the CAA is superior but we have faired well on selection Sunday.

Spiderbone
November 13th, 2010, 11:08 PM
They won their games fair and square. Not saying they wouldn't be deserving based on their resume if they beat W&M. I just don't have any confidence in their ability to keep escaping with wins. Replay any of those games and I'd pick against Richmond every time. But they won the one time it mattered. That's football.

Actually, they won the 6 times it mattered so far, including UMASS.

Spiderbone
November 13th, 2010, 11:14 PM

Well after UR's performance today I predict the score to be 2-2 at the end of regulation and one of them wins it in overtime by getting a safety (yep) after one defense drives the other O back 75 yards

RESULT One team 4 the other team 2.

Call it the "no O" Bowl.

soccerguy315
November 14th, 2010, 12:51 AM
W&M put up 24 today... our O is sufficient if we have either the #1 or #2 QB in... we just lack a little bit when we are down to #3 and a lot when we are on #4, who probably hadn't thrown a pass since the spring game.

MacThor
November 14th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Best post by soccerguy ever. :)

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM
What I think many are forgeting is that it does matter how you play down the stretch and where those L's come from just as much as the W's. The committee has a real tough job figuring things out but everyone would have had 11 games to determine their worth no matter how banged up their rosters may look...

Delaware = IN no matter what happens. EVERYONE else could be left at home depending on next Saturday's results. The ONLY sure #2 team is the UR/W&M winner as its the only sure thing that someone would be 7-4. I understand W&M already has 7 but please see below if all 5 are at 7-4:

W&M 7-4 - LOSE 3 of last 4. Lone win over Delaware to date but would be the poster boy for LIMPING into the playoffs. OOC win is ODU. No matter Saturday's results, they will at least be in the discussion...

UR 7-4 - 3 game winning streak going into the playoffs. Close your eyes when talking about the QB situation but this would be a definite if they beat W&M. OOC wins are JMU esque Elon and CCU which may take the Big South?

Nova 7-4 - Lose 2 of last 3 but their last game would be a W over #1/2 Delaware. OOC wins over conference champs Lehigh and Penn look good.

UMass 7-4 - Win 3 of last 4. Lone L during that time to #1/2 Delaware which won't hurt them looking at a strength of play down the stretch stand point. OOC win over Big South possible champ Stony Brook may play a factor....

UNH 7-4 - Would win 5 of their last 6 remarkably. Have the better H2H vs. other bubbles but easily the worse loss to Maine. OOC win NEC #2 CCS and Patriot Lehigh.

Tough to rank them but based on above here is what I have thinking that the committee AT BEST can only fit 5 CAA teams:

1. Delaware
2. UR
3. UNH
4. UMass
5. Nova
6. W&M

Old Cat Fan
November 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I think the selection committee will be very nice to the CAA yet very cruel with regional first round match ups something like UNH-UMASS and two of the southern tier schools UR-VU-WM facing each other and continuing the brutal CAA civil war ending up with a couple round one casualties xbangx

spdram
November 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Cat Fan did the committee do away with the rule of not playing a conference mate in the first round? 08 good analysis of the situation, you brought up some points I had not considered. I know this for sure as far as the Spiders go, win Saturday or pack up the gear for spring ball.

Old Cat Fan
November 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Cat Fan did the committee do away with the rule of not playing a conference mate in the first round? 08 good analysis of the situation, you brought up some points I had not considered. I know this for sure as far as the Spiders go, win Saturday or pack up the gear for spring ball.

I sorry complete brain cramp on myself, no they didn't do away with first round conference play, but now the first round consists of the ( four play in games) so that leaves the door wide open for the round two pairings

Jackman
November 14th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I don't recall where I read it, but I believe they said:
No first round play-in games between conference opponents;
No second round (i.e. "round of 16") games between conference opponents who both received first round byes; and
They'll try to avoid matching seeded teams with the winner of a play-in game who could be a conference opponent.

I do hope that if 4+ CAA teams get in, they'll spread them out through all 4 pods and give them a chance to sweep the final four (or give the other conferences a chance to sweep the CAA out).

MacThor
November 14th, 2010, 01:09 PM
They'll try to avoid matching seeded teams with the winner of a play-in game who could be a conference opponent.

This is not true; the rest is correct.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM
In their current condition I think they're a risk to put up against the MEAC/Big South/Patriot champion in the first round.

Get a clue.

MacThor
November 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Get a clue.

Subconsciously, Jackman's hope that W&M "takes care of business" this Saturday has more to do with him not wanting another 7-4 team that beat UMass in the mix.

After yesterday, UR's wins over Elon, Coastal Carolina and JMU look better.

Maroon&White
November 14th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Subconsciously, Jackman's hope that W&M "takes care of business" this Saturday has more to do with him not wanting another 7-4 team that beat UMass in the mix.

After yesterday, UR's wins over Elon, Coastal Carolina and JMU look better.

Obviously a UMass fan wouldn't want UR to finish at 7-4. That, however, has nothing to do with what someone thinks will happen IN the playoffs.

seattlespider
November 14th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Get a clue.

Indeed. Classic "concern trolling" by Jackman.

Grabholdofyosef
November 14th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Wouldnt things get even crazier if Delaware, Towson, Rhode Island and W&M win on Saturday? I know thats a longshot but I think that would leave just Delaware and W&M in.

MacThor
November 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Obviously a UMass fan wouldn't want UR to finish at 7-4. That, however, has nothing to do with what someone thinks will happen IN the playoffs.

Yes, Richmond has been playing ugly ball. But they have wins against Elon (which after a 2-5 start has been busy spoiling playoff hopes for other teams), Coastal Carolina (by 22 points over a team that just whooped the Big South favorite), JMU, UMass and would have W&M if they get in. As fugly as yesterday's game was, Rhode Island is a better team than anyone SC State's beaten. They might be better than SC State themselves. If they get Grayson and Wilkins back, that's more weapons.

Laub needs to get his head on straight though. In 9 quarters of play he has 8 picks, almost all of them in the opponent's territory.

seattlespider
November 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Wouldnt things get even crazier if Delaware, Towson, Rhode Island and W&M win on Saturday? I know thats a longshot but I think that would leave just Delaware and W&M in.

Towson beating UNH would be the upset of the year. They've only been particularly competitive in the game they won (Oddly enough against Coastal Carolina, who may be in line for a conference title at 6-5).

Princetonfan
November 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Towson beating UNH would be the upset of the year. They've only been particularly competitive in the game they won (Oddly enough against Coastal Carolina, who may be in line for a conference title at 6-5).

can you see that happening?

Wildcat80
November 14th, 2010, 03:46 PM
uhhh......no but we didn't see URI or Maine either......Just Do It Cats!

seattlespider
November 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
uhhh......no but we didn't see URI or Maine either......Just Do It Cats!

True, but those games were on the road at least. Losing to Towson at home with the playoffs on the line would be preposterous. I suppose it could happen if you come out unprepared. I suppose.

Mattymc727
November 14th, 2010, 04:26 PM
True, but those games were on the road at least. Losing to Towson at home with the playoffs on the line would be preposterous. I suppose it could happen if you come out unprepared. I suppose.

Is Towson that bad? I know nothing about them but I thought they have played a couple of CAA teams close this year

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2010, 04:34 PM
life is good for Hen fans right now xcoffeex

UNH Fanboi
November 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Indeed. Classic "concern trolling" by Jackman.

I think you're being a little oversensitive. I have nothing against Richmond, but I definitely think that they are the weakest of the potential 7-4 CAA teams. Their offense is absolutely attrocius, so any game they play will be close and give the other team a good chance at winning. If they played SC State in the first round, I wouldn't be suprised to see SC State break the MEAC losing streak with a 6-3 victory.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I think you're being a little oversensitive. I have nothing against Richmond, but I definitely think that they are the weakest of the potential 7-4 CAA teams. Their offense is absolutely attrocius, so any game they play will be close and give the other team a good chance at winning. If they played SC State in the first round, I wouldn't be suprised to see SC State break the MEAC losing streak with a 6-3 victory.

Richmond is just bad now because they are running on third and fourth string offense players. If they make the playoffs and have a week to recover before the first game, it could be a different team you see on the field.

paward
November 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM

If we do make it and play SC State will you please pm me? I can use some holiday money.

MacThor
November 14th, 2010, 06:02 PM

UR is weaker than UMass? What does UMass have on their resume that Richmond doesn't? "Not playing Villanova?" "Losing to Richmond?"

Yes, UR's offense has been bad. They may or may not get their starting tailback and #1 WR back this week. But getting to 7-4 from 4-4, with wins vs JMU, URI and at W&M would mean they won three "playoff" games against three teams all arguably better than SC State. (two definitely)

Let's put it this way - if UR goes to Williamsburg and beats the Tribe this weekend, you wouldn't be worried about W&M vs SC State?

Maroon&White
November 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I never realized how sensitive UR fans are. How do they react when someone actually says something bad about the team??

WMTribe90
November 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
What I think many are forgeting is that it does matter how you play down the stretch and where those L's come from just as much as the W's. The committee has a real tough job figuring things out but everyone would have had 11 games to determine their worth no matter how banged up their rosters may look...

Delaware = IN no matter what happens. EVERYONE else could be left at home depending on next Saturday's results. The ONLY sure #2 team is the UR/W&M winner as its the only sure thing that someone would be 7-4. I understand W&M already has 7 but please see below if all 5 are at 7-4:

W&M 7-4 - LOSE 3 of last 4. Lone win over Delaware to date but would be the poster boy for LIMPING into the playoffs. OOC win is ODU. No matter Saturday's results, they will at least be in the discussion...

UR 7-4 - 3 game winning streak going into the playoffs. Close your eyes when talking about the QB situation but this would be a definite if they beat W&M. OOC wins are JMU esque Elon and CCU which may take the Big South?

Nova 7-4 - Lose 2 of last 3 but their last game would be a W over #1/2 Delaware. OOC wins over conference champs Lehigh and Penn look good.

UMass 7-4 - Win 3 of last 4. Lone L during that time to #1/2 Delaware which won't hurt them looking at a strength of play down the stretch stand point. OOC win over Big South possible champ Stony Brook may play a factor....

UNH 7-4 - Would win 5 of their last 6 remarkably. Have the better H2H vs. other bubbles but easily the worse loss to Maine. OOC win NEC #2 CCS and Patriot Lehigh.

Tough to rank them but based on above here is what I have thinking that the committee AT BEST can only fit 5 CAA teams:

1. Delaware
2. UR
3. UNH
4. UMass
5. Nova
6. W&M

If WM loses to UR this weekend in a close game I think we still deserve a selection. I also disagree that WM would be limping into the playoffs. We had the toughest stretch to end the year of any CAA team. Why should we be penalized for finishing the year against three ranked CAA squads and a top 40 FBS squad ( assume JMU will end the year ranked). If WM loses to UR we still would have beaten two top 10 teams in our final five games, lost two close games to ranked oppoents and lead an FBS squad on the road for 3.5 quarters. Not great, but hardly limping into the playoffs.

As to your rankings, why would VU and UNH get in ahead of WM when WM beat them head to head. WM is also the only CAA squad that didn't get to play Towson, so we also had the toughest conference schedule. Unlike UNH and VU, WM also doesn't have any bad loses.

Here's how I would rank them if they all ended up 5-3 and there is very little separating the teams.

1) UR
2) UMass
3) WM
4) VU
4) UNH

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I never realized how sensitive UR fans are. How do they react when someone actually says something bad about the team??

xblahblahx

Wildcat80
November 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM
If WM loses to UR this weekend in a close game I think we still deserve a selection. I also disagree that WM would be limping into the playoffs. We had the toughest stretch to end the year of any CAA team. Why should we be penalized for finishing the year against three ranked CAA squads and a top 40 FBS squad ( assume JMU will end the year ranked). If WM loses to UR we still would have beaten two top 10 teams in our final five games, lost two close games to ranked oppoents and lead an FBS squad on the road for 3.5 quarters. Not great, but hardly limping into the playoffs.

As to your rankings, why would VU and UNH get in ahead of WM when WM beat them head to head. WM is also the only CAA squad that didn't get to play Towson, so we also had the toughest conference schedule. Unlike UNH and VU, WM also doesn't have any bad loses.

Here's how I would rank them if they all ended up 5-3 and there is very little separating the teams.

1) UR
2) UMass
3) WM
4) VU
4) UNH

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! Wasted bill&mary education-huh? UNH defeated UR,UMASS and VU......UNH only a decimal point behind you in that ranking. Lose to UR and you might be home...sorry!!

Jackman
November 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
If you spidermen want to feel disrespected, nobody can stop you, or apparently convince you otherwise. But if you think scoring only 3 points with 7 minutes to go against a Rhode Island team that committed 7 turnovers is the sign of a team that is positioned for success in the playoffs, you are out of your minds. Richmond has done what it had to do under its unfortunate circumstances to give itself a chance to win. They turtled and crossed their fingers that their opponents would beat themselves. UMass, JMU and URI did exactly that. Villanova didn't and whupped you, and the next opponent Richmond runs into that doesn't beat itself will do the same. That's my opinion. You can't keep winning this way, not against a well-disciplined opponent. We'll see if W&M agrees with my theory.

UncleSam
November 14th, 2010, 10:40 PM

UMass gets the axe.

wmmii
November 14th, 2010, 10:51 PM
If 'Nova pulls out an upset at Deleware and the Tribe can hold off Spiderman then W&M gets the automatic bid and should have a top 4 seed plus the CAA gets in 5 teams.

If the carnage continues in the CAA this weekend due to 'Nova and Richmond playing for their playoff life , then this sets up the CAA with 5 teams all 7-4 plus Deleware at 9-2. With that result I see no way with the CAA track record in the playoff not getting all 6 teams into the 20 team field after they got 5 in a 16 team field a few years ago.

Also let us get real, how do you take a team that could be conference champs with a top 4 seed and get them out of the tournament if they lose?

Saturday will be a blast and all TRIBE fans will be cheering for 'Nova!

My hope is W&M holds off Richmond-its arch rival dating back to 1898 (no typo, oldest rivalry in South) and 'Nova pulls off the upset at Deleware as that will give W&M the CAA title and probably an automatic top seed due to winning the title.

What a weekend coming up!

Squealofthepig
November 14th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Also let us get real, how do you take a team that be conference champs with a top 4 seed and get them out of the tournament if they lose?

Your English does not resemble earth English - care to rephrase so that we can understand what you're saying?

WMTribe90
November 14th, 2010, 11:04 PM
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! Wasted bill&mary education-huh? UNH defeated UR,UMASS and VU......UNH only a decimal point behind you in that ranking. Lose to UR and you might be home...sorry!!

Take a deep breath 80, no need to make it personal. I know who UNH has beaten. I'm also aware that you lost to WM one week ago and to Maine and URI. UNH also gets to play Towson and avoids UD. WM didm't play the worst team in the CAA and beat the best team UD. With the teams having identical records, hard to see the committee ignoring both the head to head result and SOS to award UNH before WM. I think we should both be in IF we both finish at 7-4, but if push came to shove then I think Wm has the stronger resume compared to UNH.

wmmii
November 14th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Your English does not resemble earth English - care to rephrase so that we can understand what you're saying?

Sorry to "squeal of the pig", o I mean squealofthepig, for my typo. It should say

Also let us get real, how do you take a team that could be conference champs with a top 4 seed and get them out of the tournament if they lose?

VBR_Productions
November 14th, 2010, 11:13 PM
This thread has been more informative and thoughtful than W&M's local coverage. The Daily Press' blog isn't bad but it's not as in-depth as eight pages of your opinions and thoughts.

http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/college/oncampusblog/2010/11/crowded_cloudy_playoff_picture.html

MacThor
November 15th, 2010, 08:35 AM
If you spidermen want to feel disrespected, nobody can stop you, or apparently convince you otherwise. But if you think scoring only 3 points with 7 minutes to go against a Rhode Island team that committed 7 turnovers is the sign of a team that is positioned for success in the playoffs, you are out of your minds. Richmond has done what it had to do under its unfortunate circumstances to give itself a chance to win. They turtled and crossed their fingers that their opponents would beat themselves. UMass, JMU and URI did exactly that. Villanova didn't and whupped you, and the next opponent Richmond runs into that doesn't beat itself will do the same. That's my opinion. You can't keep winning this way, not against a well-disciplined opponent. We'll see if W&M agrees with my theory.

Fair enough. I agree with this. Saturday's game was a gift...I was there and witnessed 53 minutes of ugly followed by 7 minutes of awesome. The JMU game was very evenly matched, but Richmond had more chances to win than JMU. I am not optimistic that we will beat W&M unless the coaching staff makes major changes. We don't have a healthy athlete to insert at Wildcat QB (like JMU did against W&M) except for Rogers, and he's a DB. Latrell Scott said he never considered benching Laub on Saturday, but the Freshman has already burned his redshirt this year, has shown more poise, and is a better athlete.

But if we can beat the Tribe, that will be 5 wins against .500+ teams, something none of the other "first round" teams can come close to. I don't think this team is poised to make a run, but it's certainly good enough to advance to the second round and throw a scare into a seed. If we can't beat a well-disciplined opponent, I guess we'll have to hope for SC State in the first round.