PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Head Coach Fires Team Captains

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Pretty disparaging remarks by the head coach regarding his team's leaders...

Woodard said the four players who had been captains through the season's first eight games have been fired and he will pick four captains on a game-by-game basis.

"I didn't think they were doing a good job with it, so I fired them," Woodard said. "I said, 'You all have an opportunity to be a captain this week. But it's going to be based on the week's work.' I'll make that decision on Saturday. That's the way we're going to do it the rest of this year."

The previous captains were quarterback Andre Bevil, wide receiver J.J. Hayes, defensive end Jacody Coleman and linebacker Johnathan Ekpe, all juniors. Last week's captains were Prewitt, center Kyle Gillam, defensive back Branden Thomas and defensive end Jesse Dickson. All are freshmen.

"You've got to lead by example," Woodard said. "You can't be saying you're going to be on time if you're late. You can't be saying, 'Hustle,' if you're the one dogging. You can't be saying, 'Have a great attitude,' if your attitude is poor."

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/woodard_demotes_football_team_captains.html

msusig
November 13th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Pretty disparaging remarks by the head coach regarding his team's leaders...

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/woodard_demotes_football_team_captains.html

He can't even control his team captains and it hasn't even been a full 1st season. That's bad.

glsjunior
November 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I guess losing to us traumatized them more than I thought...lol First we get the NCCU coach fired and now this. Look out Coach Saban!

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2010, 01:45 PM
He can't even control his team captains and it hasn't even been a full 1st season. That's bad.

I really do believe they made the wrong coaching hire... but guess we'll really determine that long range. The Lamar fans are on his bandwagon and they are putting most of the blame on a certain former SHSU head coach that we warned them about...

purplejacks
November 13th, 2010, 08:20 PM
LOL

What did people in Beaumont really expect? Come on?

You dont just start an FCS program, bring in a JUCO HC and expect everything to be rosey. If it was that easy, then no one would every have a losing season. You guys got a taste of FCS when you visited SFA last month and got our butts kicked. No slight intended, but your players laid down and couldnt wait to get back on that Greyhound Bus. Grow up, its not the captains fault... its the process... face it.

houtexan
November 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I guess losing to us traumatized them more than I thought...lol First we get the NCCU coach fired and now this. Look out Coach Saban!

This article came out prior to the narrow loss to GSU. TT was a little slow getting this LU slam out.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2010, 09:08 PM
This article came out prior to the narrow loss to GSU. TT was a little slow getting this LU slam out.

Lamar fan posted it on Nov. 10... story was posted on Beaumont Enterprise web site on Nov. 9 ... seems it came out after the 'narrow loss'...

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=75844.0

houtexan
November 13th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Lamar fan posted it on Nov. 10... story was posted on Beaumont Enterprise web site on Nov. 9 ... seems it came out after the 'narrow loss'...

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=75844.0

Let me correct myself - the changes occurred prior to the GSU game. The article was after.

centexguy
November 13th, 2010, 09:29 PM
This was a way to motivate the team and they respond tonight with a win over South Dakota after almost winning last week on the road against Georgia State. Lamar will win next week against Oklahoma Panhandle State and end up the season 5-6. Not bad for their first year, especially since they've played a tougher schedule than most startups in their first year.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
This was a way to motivate the team and they respond tonight with a win over South Dakota State after almost winning last week on the road against Georgia State. Lamar will win next week against Oklahoma Panhandle State and end up the season 5-6. Not bad for their first year, especially since they've played a tougher schedule than most startups in their first year.

South Dakota...

That'd be like saying 'Tennessee' or 'Tennessee State'...