PDA

View Full Version : NDSU next up for the Big Sky?

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
http://helenair.com/sports/football/college/article_feb54488-ed5f-11df-8398-001cc4c03286.html

The lone logical option at this point might be North Dakota State. The Fargo, N.D., school currently competes in the Summit Conference, is ranked 24th this week and owns a win over Kansas of the Big 12 Conference in September. It plays football in the 18,000-seat Fargo Dome, which would give the league three indoor arenas for football (Northern Arizona and Idaho State being the others).

NDSU would be the 4th as UND is the 3rd.

The men’s basketball team made the NCAA men’s basketball tournament as recently as two years ago. NDSU would make a logical travel partner for the Fighting Sioux in basketball and non-revenue sports and could create a nice rivalry with the two Montana schools. It would also allow Fullerton to realize his concept of divisional play

With USD-SDSU reunited. That leaves NDSU on an island.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM
http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/facepalm2.jpg

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Its funny to hear Bison fans rip on UND entering the Big Sky and all the negativity on it..namely travel. But looking at posts on this board from 2005 I saw a lot of Bison fans hoping for a shot at the BSC because they didn't want to stay in the GWFC and when they lost UNC to the Big Sky you would have thought the world ended. Praying a D2 team would move up into the Great West. What happened to the location talk? I mean Fargo isn't much closer to Missoula or Bozeman than Grand Forks? Also what is going to happen to the Summit when it becomes watered down with the likes of St. Cloud State and Nebraska-Omaha whom are in talks with Commishioner Douple? Think about it Bison fans USD-SDSU are back to their rivalry where really does that put NDSU???

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.awesometoast.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/tactical_facepalm.jpg

Jacked_Rabbit
November 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
It looks like you're really fishing with this thread, Darrell... Nice imagination though! I'm sure the Bison are more than happy to be on an "island" with allof the other Dakota schools

We all know there is a 0% chance that NDSU leaves the Summit/MVFC for the BS Conference.

Good luck out West.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 01:34 PM
It looks like you're really fishing with this thread, Darrell... Nice imagination though! I'm sure the Bison are more than happy to be on an "island" with allof the other Dakota schools

We all know there is a 0% chance that NDSU leaves the Summit/MVFC for the BS Conference.
Good luck out West.

Just like UND had a 0% chance to leave the GWFC for the BSC, and a 0% chance for USD to join the MVFC? I would say that number is a lot higher than zero these days.

Professor Chaos
November 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Only way it would ever happen is if the Summit or MVFC dissolves. I don't see either happening anytime soon.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Only way it would ever happen is if the Summit or MVFC dissolves. I don't see either happening anytime soon.

The MVFC is solid. The Summit I wouldn't put too much stock in it. What would you think would happen first NDSU getting into the BSC or the MVC?

Jacked_Rabbit
November 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Just like UND had a 0% chance to leave the GWFC for the BSC, and a 0% chance for USD to join the MVFC? I would say that number is a lot higher than zero these days.

No, I'd say UND going to the Big Sky was more like 50% and USD to the MVFC was around 30%... NDSU leaving the MVFC for the BS is a big fat 0%. They would go FBS (5%) before ever moving to the Big Sky!

Cap'n Cat
November 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM
NDSU has to do something, anything, in the Valley before they'd ever be considered in any other conference. Right now, they're also-rans.

DOA.

Professor Chaos
November 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
The MVFC is solid. The Summit I wouldn't put too much stock in it. What would you think would happen first NDSU getting into the BSC or the MVC?
No idea, I would guess the BSC would be more willing to add NDSU but NDSU would be more willing going to the MVC. I don't think either is going to happen in the forseeable future.

jacksfan29
November 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
http://helenair.com/sports/football/college/article_feb54488-ed5f-11df-8398-001cc4c03286.html

NDSU would be the 4th as UND is the 3rd.

With USD-SDSU reunited. That leaves NDSU on an island.

How is NDSU left on an island? You Sioux fans must really miss NDSU. It is kind of sad really.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 03:26 PM
How is NDSU left on an island? You Sioux fans must really miss NDSU. It is kind of sad really.

Same reason why the SU's feel UND is on an island in the BSC.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
An island? We are in the Midwest and so are both the Summit and MVFC. NDSU is closer to every school in the MVFC(outside of YSU) and Summit than they are to Missoula, Montana.

Montana is one of the schools in the Big Sky that is remotely close to Fargo, we aren't going to leave a perfectly good travel setup and schools we have established relationships with to travel all over the Western US. Forget it.

I'd rather spend that travel money on making our teams stronger.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 03:48 PM
An island? We are in the Midwest and so are both the Summit and MVFC. NDSU is closer to every school in the MVFC(outside of YSU) and Summit than they are to Missoula, Montana.

Montana is one of the schools in the Big Sky that is remotely close to Fargo, we aren't going to leave a perfectly good travel setup and schools we have established relationships with to travel all over the Western US. Forget it.

I'd rather spend that travel money on making our teams stronger.

But you were willing to do that 5 years ago??

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
But you were willing to do that 5 years ago??

That wasn't by choice but out of nescessity. Now that we are in the Summit/MVFC we have a different view on life, five years ago nobody knew that the MVFC would ever add us. The MVFC(then Gateway) was one of the first conferences NDSU called and asked to join.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 03:59 PM
That wasn't by choice but out of nescessity. Now that we are in the Summit/MVFC we have a different view on life, five years ago nobody knew that the MVFC would ever add us. The MVFC(then Gateway) was one of the first conferences NDSU called and asked to join.

Then why are Bison and Jacks fans slamming UND for joining the Big Sky.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Then why are Bison and Jacks fans slamming UND for joining the Big Sky.

Nobody is slamming they are just saying the truth, you are on an island 750 miles away from the nearest school. We have seen with SUU in the Summit just how negative that situation can be for both the school and the conference. UND football needed a home and I think everyone understands that is why you are in the Big Sky.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Nobody is slamming they are just saying the truth, you are on an island 750 miles away from the nearest school. We have seen with SUU in the Summit just how negative that situation can be for both the school and the conference. UND football needed a home and I think everyone understands that is why you are in the Big Sky.

Obviously some don't. They (fans and teams of western BSC teams) and a few others would rather we be in the MVFC...but its not an option. People bring up travel. UND has an airport, they are 300 miles from a major hub in Minneapolis, and 70 miles from Fargo who has flights to and from Denver, and Salt Lake City. We are not back in the 1800's where everything is by train or horse and buggy.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM

I am only speaking for myself. I do miss playing NDSU. I wish there was someway to play them but now with 8 conference games 1 FBS game that leaves 2 OOC games, and NDSU doesn't want 1 of them to be UND every year, and I don't blame them. Now UND is in the same boat with NDSU. So unless either 2 things happen the Sioux-Bison series will remain broken. 1. They are in the same conference. 2. The NCAA adds another game to the season to 12 every year.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I completely understand why UND is in the Big Sky. I think they made the right decision at the time, which that's great for them.

Here is my original point: why start a thread that calls out NDSU as "being on an island" and implying that they are headed to the Big Sky?

This thread is pointless and needs to die ASAP...

bisonguy
November 11th, 2010, 06:08 PM
USD estimated the increased travel for the Big Sky would be in the neighborhood of $1MM over the MVFC/Summit. I just don't see any benefit for NDSU expending that much additional money for little to no revenue increase.

Again, check the map- LINKY (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114862317451651337481.00049444448b6a0bf2866&ll=36.527295,-106.787109&spn=30.272992,60.029297&z=5)

MplsBison
November 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
If anything, Montana, MT St and UND need to all move over to the Summit/MVFC!

The six public flagships in one conference would be a power play! xnodx

dmksioux
November 11th, 2010, 07:26 PM
USD estimated the increased travel for the Big Sky would be in the neighborhood of $1MM over the MVFC/Summit. I just don't see any benefit for NDSU expending that much additional money for little to no revenue increase.

Again, check the map- LINKY (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114862317451651337481.00049444448b6a0bf2866&ll=36.527295,-106.787109&spn=30.272992,60.029297&z=5)

Travel expenses would be higher no doubt. How much more revenue would be created by playing the Montana schools and UND on annual basis?

If NDSU wants to move to FBS, which conference gives them the better opportunity, MVFC or Big Sky?

OrygunBison
November 11th, 2010, 07:38 PM

Does anyone have a facepalm picture for this?

mango433
November 11th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Its funny to hear Bison fans rip on UND entering the Big Sky and all the negativity on it..namely travel. But looking at posts on this board from 2005 I saw a lot of Bison fans hoping for a shot at the BSC because they didn't want to stay in the GWFC and when they lost UNC to the Big Sky you would have thought the world ended. Praying a D2 team would move up into the Great West. What happened to the location talk? I mean Fargo isn't much closer to Missoula or Bozeman than Grand Forks? Also what is going to happen to the Summit when it becomes watered down with the likes of St. Cloud State and Nebraska-Omaha whom are in talks with Commishioner Douple? Think about it Bison fans USD-SDSU are back to their rivalry where really does that put NDSU???

You got a link for that or are you just throwing $h!t at the wall and seeing what sticks?

kab
November 11th, 2010, 07:49 PM

flagship yes, not agriculture colleges or as ndsu is know as moo u

dmksioux
November 11th, 2010, 07:51 PM
You got a link for that or are you just throwing $h!t at the wall and seeing what sticks?

■Summit League commissioner Tom Douple told us on the WDAY Saturday Morning Sports Show that he’s had several conversations with Nebraska-Omaha A.D. Trev Alberts about the Mavericks moving up to Division I and it appears UNO could be farther along than most people think. He said he’s also had a preliminary conversation with St. Cloud State recently, that same St. Cloud State team that was said to be considering dropping football. The Summit has also had conversation with Arkansas-Little Rock.

Here is the link...http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Professor Chaos
November 11th, 2010, 08:30 PM
If NDSU wants to move to FBS, which conference gives them the better opportunity, MVFC or Big Sky?

NDSU's administration and AD have repeatedly said that there are no plans to move to FBS football. Despite what some of the more more zealous Bison fans think, NDSU will stay at the FCS level and positioning themselves for a future jump to the FBS has no bearing on their conference affiliation.

JBB
November 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM

No Darell you have it wrong. NDSU fans are glad UND is in the BSC. All the other stuff, travel etc, are just recognizing the reality. Im glad there is a lot of travel. Im glad you are recruiting out west. Im glad you have joined peer institutions and saved the BSC.

If St Cloud State got to the point where they could play basketball in the Summit, and they arent there yet, would it be any different than a transition UND in the BSC?

I am sure NDSU is not next up for the Big Sky. We have our hands full here in Fargo playing for the Dakota College Football Championship. This is a Big 3 event.

There is no reason to go west for the BISON. Its nice here in the center. Im sure the Summit/MVFC are ready to absorb the natural growth of Division 1.

Your scorn for these schools is surprising. Why would you turn your back on them for aspiring to Division 1? UND aspired and is now a peer institution.

TheBisonator
November 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM
flagship yes, not agriculture colleges or as ndsu is know as moo u

Can somebody ban this prick, please??

dakotadan
November 12th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Does anyone have a facepalm picture for this?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/dakotadan/jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

Twentysix
November 12th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I am only speaking for myself. I do miss playing NDSU. I wish there was someway to play them but now with 8 conference games 1 FBS game that leaves 2 OOC games, and NDSU doesn't want 1 of them to be UND every year, and I don't blame them. Now UND is in the same boat with NDSU. So unless either 2 things happen the Sioux-Bison series will remain broken. 1. They are in the same conference. 2. The NCAA adds another game to the season to 12 every year.

NDSU and UND will play eachother in football no matter what. It might not be every other year. But we will play every few years. I would put money on every 12 game season.

Twentysix
November 12th, 2010, 01:33 AM
UNO would be awesome. I love omaha! Any reason to get me back to omaha is a win in my book! They fit in the conference geography pretty well too. Im not to familar with there sports though.

darell1976
November 12th, 2010, 06:54 AM
UNO would be awesome. I love omaha! Any reason to get me back to omaha is a win in my book! They fit in the conference geography pretty well too. Im not to familar with there sports though.

The difference between St. Cloud and UNO is St. Cloud is thinking of dropping football due to money. Omaha would need a home for football that means either BSC or Indy unless Douple and Patty can get together again and have Omaha join the MVFC.

darell1976
November 12th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I completely understand why UND is in the Big Sky. I think they made the right decision at the time, which that's great for them.

Here is my original point: why start a thread that calls out NDSU as "being on an island" and implying that they are headed to the Big Sky?

This thread is pointless and needs to die ASAP...

I didn't say NDSU was headed to the Big Sky? I said are they next up for the Big Sky with a question mark. And I wasn't the one who wrote the article so I did not just make this up. If you don't like it don't read it. It has nothing to do with you or your team anyways.

darell1976
November 12th, 2010, 07:06 AM
No Darell you have it wrong. NDSU fans are glad UND is in the BSC. All the other stuff, travel etc, are just recognizing the reality. Im glad there is a lot of travel. Im glad you are recruiting out west. Im glad you have joined peer institutions and saved the BSC.

If St Cloud State got to the point where they could play basketball in the Summit, and they arent there yet, would it be any different than a transition UND in the BSC?

I am sure NDSU is not next up for the Big Sky. We have our hands full here in Fargo playing for the Dakota College Football Championship. This is a Big 3 event.

There is no reason to go west for the BISON. Its nice here in the center. Im sure the Summit/MVFC are ready to absorb the natural growth of Division 1.

Your scorn for these schools is surprising. Why would you turn your back on them for aspiring to Division 1? UND aspired and is now a peer institution.

Been to Bisonville lately?? And as for travel what is difference between traveling all over the west like we will be in the BSC and traveling all over the country like we do now. We go from ND, to TX, to NJ. And everywhere in between. UND goes from Grand Forks, to NJ for one game to Chicago for a game 2 days later. We go to Moscow, Idaho one day then to Eastern Michigan the next day. At least we are in one part of the US not all over the map. So if our budget is just fine after this and next years bball schedule we do just fine in the Big Sky.

As for my scorn for UNO and St. Cloud; UNO needs a football home so unless Douple does his magic and get them in the MVFC the Summit/Indy league is not going to be in the cards (maybe the BSC?) but mostly my scorn is St. Cloud State. They are considering dropping football for budget reasons and if you want to water down a conference that Bison fans say are competitive to the BSC all power to you. St. Cloud has never been good in bball. They have only been kinda good in 1 sport hockey.

Walkon79
November 12th, 2010, 11:36 PM

Now that's a novel idea!! Break up the old Big Sky entirely!

gjw007
November 13th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I would back off on St Cloud. They serve the university better by being able to handle what they can and do it well rather than try to do everything and not do so well. One of UND's rivals is Denver (hockey) and Denver does not have a football team. It is a model that fits their needs/wants and is one that they are happy with.

It is also premature to talk about NDSU moving to the Big Sky. If it happens, it happens, if not, not! Why ruffle feathers when there is no need as I don't think any conference (Summit/MVFC or Big Sky) is looking at expansion in the immediate future unless something drastic happens which forces their hand.

MplsBison
November 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Now that's a novel idea!! Break up the old Big Sky entirely!

Nebraska walked away from many years of history with the Big 6/7/8 when a better opportunity came along for them in the midwest.

Get with the program! xnodx

Twentysix
November 13th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Nebraska walked away from many years of history with the Big 6/7/8 when a better opportunity came along for them in the midwest.

Get with the program! xnodx

And you would be stupid to think tradition matters. Money runs sports, end of story. Tradition matters to those who do not have opportunitys for more money. We would sell out in one second flat if it meant a 40 million dollar tv contract(insert opportunity).