TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Today's WAC Announcements...

WESTERN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE
WAC Release - expected for 3 p.m.
WAC Teleconference - 4 p.m.

TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS
Press Conference - 3:45 p.m.
Live Video Feed: TxStateBobcats.com (http://www.txstatebobcats.com/showcase/#liveevents)

UT-SAN ANTONIO
Information TBA

Related Threads
TXST, UTSA to WAC Considered "Done Deal" (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?77577-TXST-UTSA-to-WAC-Considered-quot-Done-Deal-quot)
TXST - What Happens If? (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?77523-TXST-What-Happens-If)
8 Schools Making Presentation to WAC - TXST, UTSA, Montana in Mix (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?74701-8-Schools-Making-Presentation-to-WAC-TXST-UTSA-Montana-in-Mix/)
Source: UTSA More Attractive than TXST (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?77084-Source-UTSA-More-Attractive-than-TXST)
Benson: WAC Could Begin Evaluating TXST, UTSA (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?70138-Benson-WAC-Could-Begin-Evaluating-TXST-UTSA/)

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM
We can add Denver...

DENVER
Press Conference - 3 p.m. MT, 4 p.m. CT
Live Video Feed - DenverPioneers.com (http://www.denverpioneers.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18600&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=18600&DB_LANG=C&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=)

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Updated to include UTSA's latest info...

UT-SAN ANTONIO
Press Conference, 4 p.m.
Live Video Feed: GoUTSA.com (http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205028751&DB_OEM_ID=13100)

DSUrocks07
November 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM
All times EST if not stated?

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
All times EST if not stated?

Central - that's where myself and the schools are located! ;)

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
From SMDR (http://smdrcatscradle.blogspot.com/2010/11/college-football-today-is-day-things.html)... we'll get a statement from the SLC later this afternoon. The Commissioner has been very open, acknowledging that this is the only likely door at this time for these schools who have been ready for FBS.

The Southland Conference will issue a statement later this afternoon. SLC Commissioner Tom Burnett has been in meetings all day.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Southland statement...

"The Southland Conference wishes Texas State and UTSA well with their new membership in the Western Athletic Conference. Texas State and UTSA have been valued members, and have contributed and benefitted from their Southland membership.

"The Southland Conference, under the direction of its presidential Board of Directors, is already planning for the future and will take the necessary steps in due course to ensure that conference members will continue to have opportunities for competitive success while fostering an environment that encourages academic achievement by student-athletes. For almost a half century, the Southland has handled membership transition in a fair and thoughtful manner to enhance the league. We are confident that will be the case again."

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205028552

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Video for the TXST presser has started... check it out at the above link.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
TXST has now played 'Movin' On Up' and 'Celebrate Good Times'... interesting.

houtexan
November 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM

i'm going to be singing these crappy songs the rest of the day in my head now...

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Teis said 3:45 p.m. to get everyone there...

TXST is going to pipe in the Benson teleconference at 4 p.m. like everyone else...

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Benson... three new schools on July 1, 2012... cheers from San Marcos faithful...

Benson puts out that TXST, UTSA could be the 'next' Boise State... says that when schools join the WAC, they get better...

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Dan McCarney of SAEN... asks when schedule starts for WAC... Benson says ideally that UTSA would prefer 2013, but until WAC knows football membership in 2012, they'll be able to figure out whether or not they'll delay decision...

Sorry Karl - no FCS schools or Montana are heading that way...

Factors - Montana asks McCarney? Benson says Montana staying in Big Sky. No expectation of changes... that would have had impact on how WAC moved forward starting in 2012...

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
About travel costs...

Benson - history of WAC is that they've been spread out for last 12 years. League has not extended out of boundaries (LOL!). UTSA, TXST as travel partners. La Tech, NMSU travel partners or some kind of combination of those four - be able to reduce travel costs, demands on student-athletes. Ruston to Honolulu, San Antonio to Idaho. Financial challenges, but unique step for next generation of WAC.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Utah State radio voice.. Karl, you got the worst conference in American now... cut off. xlolx

What was that about?

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Benson covering up for that with next caller... talking about putting people on big stages, infront of big audiences and win national championships... talks about growth of TXST, UTSA... revenue models that will provide those two resources to compete.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Official press release...

DENVER - The Western Athletic Conference today announced that invitations for membership have been issued to and accepted by the University of Denver, the University of Texas at San Antonio and Texas State University to join the conference effective July 1, 2012.

The announcement was made by the chair of the WAC Board of Directors and Utah State University President Stan Albrecht and WAC Commissioner Karl Benson after the Board unanimously voted to issue the invitations earlier this week.

"The Board of Directors is extremely dedicated to the long-term stability and growth of the Western Athletic Conference," said Albrecht. "The University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas State University and the University of Denver are three very strong institutions, both in their commitment to building athletic excellence and in their commitment to academics. We believe that all three will help us in our quest to make the WAC one of the outstanding athletic conferences in the country."

http://www.wacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10100&ATCLID=205028332

houtexan
November 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Utah State radio voice.. Karl, you got the worst conference in American now... cut off. xlolx

What was that about?
It made me laugh out loud though!!!

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 04:20 PM
TXST President Denise Trauth said they had the Board of Regents on board since '08... had students and alumni and donors on board for some time and that was powerful to get the approval from the Board of Regents and conferences interested...

TXST AD Larry Teis promoting upcoming sporting events... Karl Benson will be at TXST next Tuesday night for hoops. They'll also have 1,000 commemorative WAC t-shirts that night.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM
UTSA release...

SAN ANTONIO — The University of Texas at San Antonio announced Thursday that it has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference (WAC). The Roadrunners, who joined Denver and Texas State in accepting invitations, officially will be a member of the WAC on July 1, 2012.

“Today is an outstanding day to be a Roadrunner,” President Dr. Ricardo Romo said. “We are very excited about this new partnership, which is a great fit for us and a significant step forward for the University and the entire city of San Antonio.”

“This is yet another historic day for UTSA,” Athletics Director Lynn Hickey said. “We have been working extremely hard for a very long time to reach our goal of joining an FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) conference and today’s invitation is a realization of a lot of hard work by so many different people. This is another great day for the University and our athletics department, and everyone is excited to take the next step up.”

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205027917&DB_OEM_ID=13100

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM
TXST release...

DENVER – The Western Athletic Conference today announced that invitations for membership have been issued to and accepted by the University of Denver, the University of Texas at San Antonio and Texas State University to join the conference effective July 1, 2012.

The announcement was made by the chair of the WAC Board of Directors and Utah State University President Stan Albrecht and WAC Commissioner Karl Benson after the Board unanimously voted to issue the invitations earlier this week.

"The Board of Directors is extremely dedicated to the long-term stability and growth of the Western Athletic Conference,” said Albrecht. “The University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas State University and the University of Denver are three very strong institutions, both in their commitment to building athletic excellence and in their commitment to academics. We believe that all three will help us in our quest to make the WAC one of the outstanding athletic conferences in the country."

“The addition of these three schools clearly sends a message that the WAC and its member schools are prepared to move forward to build a ‘new’ WAC,” said Benson. “And as the WAC prepares to begin its next 50 years as an athletic conference, I am confident that these three new members along with the six other WAC schools will continue to compete at the highest level of the NCAA.”

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2010/11/11/GEN_1111100323.aspx

centexguy
November 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM
TXST President Denise Trauth said they had the Board of Regents on board since '08... had students and alumni and donors on board for some time and that was powerful to get the approval from the Board of Regents and conferences interested...

TXST AD Larry Teis promoting upcoming sporting events... Karl Benson will be at TXST next Tuesday night for hoops. They'll also have 1,000 commemorative WAC t-shirts that night.

Hopefully they'll have enough fans at the game to give away all the t-shirts. xlolx

GeauxLions94
November 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Just one person's thoughts on the BobcatFans.com board

Bad bad bad! all the way around!

I don't want to play an SEC team in 2012. We'll be murdered most likely. I don't want to play any FCS teams, especially not while we are trying to move up. Too great a risk of losing.

UNT is fine, negative on SLC.

And we have no need to go to Austin anytime soon. Not until we can pack the WACker with regularity.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Tyler Mayforth just reported in his live chat that TXST will play a SLC schedule in 2011, though be ineligible for the league title and therefore, ineligible for the automatic bid. The SLC schedule is the only meaningful part, we knew the rest... that means they get to to the Cajun Corner!

Other notes...

1) TXST playing SLC slate in '11, not eligible for SLC title.
2) TXST adding 11 scholarships in '11, 11 more in '12
3) No word on SMDR sending him more on the road with the FBS move or if TXST will foot the bill
4) SLC making decisions on next year and change of TXST, UTSA.
5) No word on Utah State 'radio voice'.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Latest from UTSA beat reporter...

“UTSA Athletics is excited to inform you that we have officially accepted an invitation to the Western Athletic Conference (WAC). All sports, except football, will be joining the conference in the fall of 2012. Football is scheduled to begin competition in the WAC in 2013.”

Which is interesting, as the date of UTSA’s football entrance was about the only unknown detail entering today’s press conference. And even more so, considering UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey, head football coach Larry Coker and WAC commissioner Karl Benson all said that has yet to be determined.

So, I have to assume this is some sort of typo. Indeed, unless Benson can dig up another candidate or two — and the landscape is sparse – it looks like a pretty good bet Coker’s crew going to have to suck it up and join in 2012.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2010/11/wac-day-post-mortem/

nwFL Griz
November 12th, 2010, 08:46 AM
This news was expected for some time. Good luck to Texas St and UTSA in the FBS, we wish you well.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Update from former ESPN reporter - now with FanHouse - Graham Watson...

To make matter worse for the WAC, the New Mexico Bowl announced Thursday that it was terminating its agreement with the WAC and forming a partnership with the Pac-12 starting in 2012. The WAC has been a partner with the New Mexico Bowl for all four years of its existence, but the contract had a clause that if the WAC's membership changed, the bowl could look for other options.

Unfortunately for the WAC, that might not be the last bowl hit it takes. Automatic tie-ins are given to conference's based on the average number of bowl-bound teams divided by a four-year span. Once Boise State, Fresno State and Nevada leave, the WAC will struggle to keep its average high enough to facilitate its remaining three tie-ins. Fresno and Nevada are going to the MWC in 2012.

Likely, the Hawaii Bowl will remain intact -- as long as Hawaii is a member of the WAC -- and the Humanitarian Bowl could also stay in play because of Idaho. The WAC's contract with the Poinsettia Bowl is only good for the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Benson did say that the conference was looking for secondary contracts in WAC towns such as the New Mexico Bowl, the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco and the Texas Bowl in Houston.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/11/11/wac-expands-also-loses-bowl-tie-in-and-doesnt-get-montana/

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hawaii still shopping... usually schools don't publicly say they are looking at all their options and will say they are committed to the future of the league - even if they are not...

Yesterday's Western Athletic Conference expansion to what it heralded as "the next generation of the WAC" has not changed the University of Hawaii's plans to consider other possibilities.

"We will look at all our options, including staying in the WAC," athletic director Jim Donovan said following the conference's announcement.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101112_Expanded_WAC_still_might_not_sate_UH.html

bkrownd
November 12th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hawaii still shopping... usually schools don't publicly say they are looking at all their options and will say they are committed to the future of the league - even if they are not...

UH was VERY sore when the WAC split and they were left behind. Getting left behind again is more salt in the wound.

Retro
November 13th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Hawaii will go independent as they have mentioned as a possibility.. They will have no trouble scheduling home and home games with any teams and by being out of the WAC, they can schedule more attractive home/home's with much better teams than in the WAC which will help their own attendance and put them on bigger TV platform when they go to bigger name schools.

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hawaii will go independent as they have mentioned as a possibility.. They will have no trouble scheduling home and home games with any teams and by being out of the WAC, they can schedule more attractive home/home's with much better teams than in the WAC which will help their own attendance and put them on bigger TV platform when they go to bigger name schools.

Hawaii only draws well when they play quality opposition in the eyes of their fans...

ESPN would televise Hawaii games if they play them late Friday or Saturday night. There's no other games being played at that time and there's plenty of 'night owls' to watch.

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Was waiting for it and we got it - a faculty member speaking up against the move to FBS. What's interesting is that this individual has actually refereed football at the professional and FBS level...

I think it is highly unfortunate that Texas State has opted to join the Western Athletic Conference.

I have been a faculty member here for 25 years. For most of that time, I have refereed football at the professional or Division 1-A collegiate level. Based on my experience, I simply do not believe that we can compete successfully in the WAC. Indeed, we are hard-pressed to compete well in the Southland Conference, of which we are now a member.

Our average game attendance is nowhere close to where it needs to be (roughly 15,000) to be an FBS member. If history is any guide, moreover, there is no reason to believe that we are likely to get to that number anytime soon. Our student body has been, and remains, mostly commuters.

http://star.txstate.edu/content/letter-editor-move-wac-will-be-financial-disaster

1andDone
November 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Good luck to UTSA and Texas State at the FBS level.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Bye Bye Hawaii????

Big West lifts membership moratorium....

http://www.bigwest.org/assets/11_16_10_Moratorium_Release.pdf

NoCoDanny
November 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah I still don't get why the Big West which consolidated to become a bus league for cost containment would want Hawaii... Flying volleyball, tennis, swimming or whatever over there offers no advantage. My guess it would be add someone like Cal State Bakersfield.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah I still don't get why the Big West which consolidated to become a bus league for cost containment would want Hawaii... Flying volleyball, tennis, swimming or whatever over there offers no advantage. My guess it would be add someone like Cal State Bakersfield.

Like BYU joining the WCC, Hawaii does the same for the Big West. It adds a school that has a high profile and conferences will do anything to bring that kind of school in. Even if it means more travel in their bus league.

MaximumBobcat
November 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I just don't see UH going indy. They would have sooo much trouble scheduling late in the season. BYU is going to be gobbling up western FBS teams with open dates late in the season and can pay more $. Plus, ADs will be hesitant to screw with players internal clocks later in the season as well. I just don't see them going in indy in football. Big West for all other sports sounds good to me though. Would save WAC schools some dough.

Go Apps
November 18th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Good luck with the move - you will become part of those teams never heard from again - like Marshall - you can have your FBS and no playoffs - for me I like where I am!

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I just don't see UH going indy. They would have sooo much trouble scheduling late in the season. BYU is going to be gobbling up western FBS teams with open dates late in the season and can pay more $. Plus, ADs will be hesitant to screw with players internal clocks later in the season as well. I just don't see them going in indy in football. Big West for all other sports sounds good to me though. Would save WAC schools some dough.

Max -

They've never had problems late in the season. Their easiest scheduling has come in September and the last two weeks of November, first week of December. The problem lies in October, when teams are in the midst of their conference schedule and do not want to head to Hawaii...

If Hawaii can get several long-term contracts with other independents (i.e. BYU, Notre Dame, Army, Navy) plus some attractive opponents west coast opponents (think USC, Washington, Nevada, etc.) - then they'll make the jump. Herman Frazier is no longer AD, so it may not be as big an issue.

darell1976
November 18th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Max -

They've never had problems late in the season. Their easiest scheduling has come in September and the last two weeks of November, first week of December. The problem lies in October, when teams are in the midst of their conference schedule and do not want to head to Hawaii...

If Hawaii can get several long-term contracts with other independents (i.e. BYU, Notre Dame, Army, Navy) plus some attractive opponents west coast opponents (think USC, Washington, Nevada, etc.) - then they'll make the jump. Herman Frazier is no longer AD, so it may not be as big an issue.

UND needs to schedule Hawaii....that would be one more reason to visit there and the leave the cold.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM
As it relates to the question posed regarding a ninth football school and who Benson would look to - he responded North Texas... (credit: San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/QA_with_WAC_commissioner_Karl_Benson_108871184.htm l?c=y&page=1#storytop))

The North Texas beat writer responded when asked if it would make any difference that TXST and UTSA are joining... simply put, NO.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/11/unt-mailbag-57.html

FCS Go!
November 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hawaii gone to the MWC. WAC R.I.P.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/109083259.html

FargoBison
November 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
All I can do is laugh at the schools that went to join that sinking ship. With Hawaii goes another bowl tie-in and the conference's most high profile member.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
If Karl calls SHSU, I've got three words for our AD...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tJJEi1zseDI/ST7Cb4coorI/AAAAAAAACGc/E7mbNHML8Kg/s200/just_say_no.gif

Don't want any piece of that mess... not a chance!

FargoBison
November 18th, 2010, 10:14 PM
The MWC may as well call up Utah State and take the WAC out of its misery.

msusig
November 18th, 2010, 11:48 PM
If Karl calls SHSU, I've got three words for our AD...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tJJEi1zseDI/ST7Cb4coorI/AAAAAAAACGc/E7mbNHML8Kg/s200/just_say_no.gif

Don't want any piece of that mess... not a chance!

UTSA & Texas State might have joined the WAC too early. There might not be a conference there by the time they start playing football in the WAC. This might be better for the WAC as it will reduce travel costs. Looks like they will need to start looking for more FCS teams to join the WAC.

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM
UTSA & Texas State might have joined the WAC too early. There might not be a conference there by the time they start playing football in the WAC. This might be better for the WAC as it will reduce travel costs. Looks like they will need to start looking for more FCS teams to join the WAC.

They've already talked to plenty of FCS teams... many of them are not ready to make the financial commitment required to make the jump to FBS at this point, including a few of the SLC teams that are looking at the option (i.e. SHSU, Lamar).

Smitty
November 19th, 2010, 08:01 AM
So can the teams that are joining the WAC leave if Hawaii does end up leaving without penalty?

nwFL Griz
November 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
This is not that big of deal, outside of the bowl tie-in. It does reduce the prestige of the WAC name, but it can stay alive by adding one member in time for the 2012-13 season. The addition of TSU and UTSA shifted the WAC footprint further east, so not surprising that UH is getting out.

The WAC is now the western version of the Sun Belt, but still an FBS conference and they will survive.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2010, 09:30 AM
What if the WAC became a playoff FCS conference?

Texas State
UTSA
San Jose State
New Mexico State
Idaho
Utah State
Louisiana Tech

Even if Utah State leaves, that's enough to get an autobid.

Though it would be damned funny in terms of UTSA and Texas State, though. xlolx

Sec310
November 19th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Looks like Hawaii is leaving for MWC in football and Big West in all other sports.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Utah State probably will leave as well. That would put the MWC at 12 football programs, but there are also rumors that TCU may join the Big East for football. In that case the MWC might offer New Mexico St. or Idaho. That would leave the WAC at 5, two being FCS programs moving up, and no real ability to attract additional members. In other words, the conference would be dead.

superman7515
November 19th, 2010, 10:36 AM
New Mexico State will NOT be offered by the MWC.

Tim James
November 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM
MWC will look good if they can keep TCU and add Houston. Im not convinced TCU is going to the Big East because I think the BE will take Villanova/Temple and Central Florida.

IaaScribe
November 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
At one point does Louisiana Tech start looking to get out of this monstrosity? It would make so much more sense geographically for UTEP to be in the WAC and for La. Tech to be in Conference USA.

Then again, why would anybody want to join the WAC for football at this point? That league will be worse than the Sun Belt -- by far -- once BSU, Hawaii, Nevada and Fresno leave.

dbackjon
November 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
At one point does Louisiana Tech start looking to get out of this monstrosity? It would make so much more sense geographically for UTEP to be in the WAC and for La. Tech to be in Conference USA.

Then again, why would anybody want to join the WAC for football at this point? That league will be worse than the Sun Belt -- by far -- once BSU, Hawaii, Nevada and Fresno leave.

The remaining 5 have more OOC wins this year than all of the SunBelt, 8 to 4.
Remaining WAC - 4 wins over FBS, 4 over FCS.
All of Sunbelt - 2 wins over FBS, 2 over FCS

FargoBison
November 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Utah State is probably the glue that is holding what is left of the WAC together, if they go to MWC it is over for the WAC. That said the MWC isn't very happy with USU after the BYU stunt.

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Latest from NT beat writer... says heck nah!

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/11/thoughts-on-the-wac-coach-sear.html

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
CollegeSportsInfo's Matt Peloquin, who spends a great deal of time focusing on college sports realignment at all levels, produced this three-part series on the 'State of the WAC'.

Part I: State of the WAC: A Conference on Life Support (http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/11/state-of-wac-conference-on-life-support.html)

Part II: State of the WAC: What Else Could Possibly Go Wrong? (http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/11/state-of-wac-what-else-could-possibly.html)

Part III: State of the WAC: WAC Winners and Losers (http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/11/state-of-wac-wac-winners-and-losers.html)

houtexan
November 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
CollegeSportsInfo's Matt Peloquin, who spends a great deal of time focusing on college sports realignment at all levels, produced this three-part series on the 'State of the WAC'.

Part I: State of the WAC: A Conference on Life Support (http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/11/state-of-wac-conference-on-life-support.html)

Part II: State of the WAC: What Else Could Possibly Go Wrong? (http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/11/state-of-wac-what-else-could-possibly.html)

Part III: State of the WAC: WAC Winners and Losers (http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/11/state-of-wac-wac-winners-and-losers.html)

I have a headache now.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Benson: WAC Will Survive... ::cough, cough::

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/33578/karl-benson-says-wac-will-survive-2

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Benson's No. 2 priority besides getting more schools IMO...

The NCAA Bylaw that governs automatic bids in men's basketball says that a conference must have seven "core" institutions, and that six of those must have played together in the same conference for five years. A core institution is one that has been a Division I member for at least eight years. The WAC will have seven core institutions, but Hawai'i leaving drops the league to only five that have played together for five years.

Now, there is a two year grace period to try to get things back in line, but UTSA and Texas St. won't join until 2012-13. They'll have to play in the league five years before the WAC meets both requirements again. The grace period only covers the first two.

That means three years without an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament for the WAC. That is, unless they can get the rule changed.

http://rpibcsguy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/26191645?mcctag=WAC

JU_Dolphin
December 12th, 2010, 11:46 AM
The reason Utah state didn't leave to begin with is they thought that The WAC would be stable. If I remember they were inquired about back in August. USU would want out at this point I would imagine, they just need the invite from the MWC again, though I'm sure the MWC is a little snakebitten from the first denial. TXST and UTSA had to weigh the options when they decided to move up to FBS. Yes the WAC is flailing at this point, but both schools represent large markets that a low profile conference would like to target. I could see CUSA in particular picking them up especially if UCF or Houston are ever targeted for expansions later.

Sec310
December 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Benson's No. 2 priority besides getting more schools IMO...

http://rpibcsguy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/26191645?mcctag=WAC

There are changes being made to the conference requirements for an AQ in hoops.

If the WAC is around in 2012, they will be have their AQ in hoops.

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
The reason Utah state didn't leave to begin with is they thought that The WAC would be stable. If I remember they were inquired about back in August. USU would want out at this point I would imagine, they just need the invite from the MWC again, though I'm sure the MWC is a little snakebitten from the first denial. TXST and UTSA had to weigh the options when they decided to move up to FBS. Yes the WAC is flailing at this point, but both schools represent large markets that a low profile conference would like to target. I could see CUSA in particular picking them up especially if UCF or Houston are ever targeted for expansions later.

USU has already said they want into MWC and have pretty much made no secret of it...

TXST, UTSA had no choice, but the WAC - doubt C-USA would pick up both Texas schools if they were available. C-USA has plenty of other options and could really "centralize" themselves more with schools like North Texas, South Alabama, Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee. There's probably a few C-USA schools that would probably love to shed itself of UTEP if it could!

JU_Dolphin
December 12th, 2010, 11:56 AM
USU has already said they want into MWC and have pretty much made no secret of it...

TXST, UTSA had no choice, but the WAC - doubt C-USA would pick up both Texas schools if they were available. C-USA has plenty of other options and could really "centralize" themselves more with schools like North Texas, South Alabama, Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee. There's probably a few C-USA schools that would probably love to shed itself of UTEP if it could!

I can see your point with that, but I could still see atleast one of the Texas schools being looked at if Houston is picked up, the cougars were in the discussion this year for big east expansion. That's all speculation though. UTEP isn't likely to move, they sure don't want the WAC and the MWC hasnt shown interest.

JDC325
December 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
This news was expected for some time. Good luck to Texas St and UTSA in the FBS, we wish you well.

+1 I don't get the insecure sour grapes mentality on this board concerning OTHER teams moving up. It is like booing your neighbors kid for going to college.

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I can see your point with that, but I could still see atleast one of the Texas schools being looked at if Houston is picked up, the cougars were in the discussion this year for big east expansion. That's all speculation though. UTEP isn't likely to move, they sure don't want the WAC and the MWC hasnt shown interest.

UTEP does not want the WAC, but according to several media reports - Utah State and UTEP are the favorites to go MWC. Everything is speculation though!

I read some UTEP fan comments and they would rather 'play east' than 'play west'. The only thing I think about with UTEP is that they love playing in Houston annually (Houston or Rice) in football, plus the every other year stop to DFW area (SMU) - plus the annual stops in all those locales for other sports. Those two cities are outside of El Paso, where their alums are and where they want to recruit.

I'm not sure Houston wants to go to the new MWC. It's lost some of its luster with the moves and TCU is no longer there, so UH would be the only Texas schools. The MWC officials said losing TCU was not a big deal from a $$$ standpoint due to the lack of media presence their Mtn Network had there, so guess SMU is not considered. IMO, it would take two Texas schools to really justify going there for Houston or UTEP. They'd need each other to both move to make it worth their while.

Just some random thoughts...

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
+1 I don't get the insecure sour grapes mentality on this board concerning OTHER teams moving up. It is like booing your neighbors kid for going to college.

I do not think it sour grapes. Most of us who had a brain in our noggin knew that TXST and UTSA were both moving up. Not just in the last few months, but we've known it for the last few years...

What is catching all of us is the fact that the WAC is in survival mode, we're not sure what will happen to those two Texas schools and the fact the WAC may need to pluck a few more SLC or Big Sky or the Dakota schools to make this thing work and to give their league stability. NCAA realignment is fun conversation for all parties!

Sec310
December 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I do not think it sour grapes. Most of us who had a brain in our noggin knew that TXST and UTSA were both moving up. Not just in the last few months, but we've known it for the last few years...

What is catching all of us is the fact that the WAC is in survival mode, we're not sure what will happen to those two Texas schools and the fact the WAC may need to pluck a few more SLC or Big Sky or the Dakota schools to make this thing work and to give their league stability. NCAA realignment is fun conversation for all parties!

The WAC already asked several schools to move up, and only two said yes. Even if they keep asking, if they keep getting NO, how are they going to survive.

I agree that UTEP is the only possible school that will move from CUSA to MWC. So if UTEP and USU go to a 12 team MWC, who does CUSA add, to replace UTEP? UNC Charlotte is starting football and they were CUSA members before. So that's an option. La. Tech is an option. The two Florida schools of the Sun Belt could be attractive options for CUSA. But I doubt any other Sun Belt teams would be attractive to CUSA. So if the Florida schools leave the Sun Belt, who will the Sun Belt add, yep Tx St. and UTSA.

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
The WAC already asked several schools to move up, and only two said yes. Even if they keep asking, if they keep getting NO, how are they going to survive.

No idea... which is why it is intriguing. Just about everyone has no desire to go to the laegue, even if it meant FCS to FBS!

I agree that UTEP is the only possible school that will move from CUSA to MWC. So if UTEP and USU go to a 12 team MWC, who does CUSA add, to replace UTEP? UNC Charlotte is starting football and they were CUSA members before. So that's an option. La. Tech is an option. The two Florida schools of the Sun Belt could be attractive options for CUSA. But I doubt any other Sun Belt teams would be attractive to CUSA. So if the Florida schools leave the Sun Belt, who will the Sun Belt add, yep Tx St. and UTSA.

La Tech is an "option", but everyone I talk to says North Texas (if SMU does not block them), South Alabama, Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky are all better options. You doubt anyone would be attractive options besides the Florida schools from the Sun Belt? Have you ever been to the Florida schools' venues? Have you seen their attendance? I'd put all four SBC teams I mentioned (NT, USA, MT, WKU) on a much different planet than FAU, FIU.

Outside of the Miami market, which FIU is behind the professional teams, Univ of Miami, Florida and Florida State - as far as attention, there's nothing either FIU or FAU brings to the table that is not exceeded by the other schools - period.

Sec310
December 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
No idea... which is why it is intriguing. Just about everyone has no desire to go to the laegue, even if it meant FCS to FBS!

La Tech is an "option", but everyone I talk to says North Texas (if SMU does not block them), South Alabama, Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky are all better options. You doubt anyone would be attractive options besides the Florida schools from the Sun Belt? Have you ever been to the Florida schools' venues? Have you seen their attendance? I'd put all four SBC teams I mentioned (NT, USA, MT, WKU) on a much different planet than FAU, FIU.

Outside of the Miami market, which FIU is behind the professional teams, Univ of Miami, Florida and Florida State - as far as attention, there's nothing either FIU or FAU brings to the table that is not exceeded by the other schools - period.

Miami market or the Mobile, Alabama market? Miami market or Podunk, Tenn market? Miami market or Podunk, KY market? Not too tough of a choice.

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Miami market or the Mobile, Alabama market? Miami market or Podunk, Tenn market? Miami market or Podunk, KY market? Not too tough of a choice.

South Alabama has SIGNIFICANTLY better facilities than FIU, FAU. They also actually have fans show up at their games. You ever seen attendance at FAU or FIU?

While Mobile, Ala. is obviously not the market that a Miami, Fla. is - the facilities, the fan base and potential for success are far greater than either FIU or FAU across the board. Same goes for WKU adn Middle Tennessee.

Once you get past the market, everything else sways heavily to the school not named FIU and FAU. And again, if you are adding FAU and FIU, you are not gaining any market value.

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Article says USU needs life preserver before WAC 'sinks'...

The WAC, which served BYU and Utah's programs so well for nearly three decades, has been left scrambling to find suitable replacement schools. To that end, the WAC wound up with nice but unheralded, no-name folks like Texas-San Antonio, Texas State and Denver University, which doesn't have a football program, hopelessly trying to take the place of WAC defectors Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State and Hawaii.

It's a desperate, losing battle the WAC can't win.

Utah State, which for years yearned to join the WAC and compete in the same conference with its in-state big brothers Utah and BYU, finally got its shot at WAC membership a few years ago — but only after BYU and Utah had bolted to help form the Mountain West Conference.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700090954/USU-needs-life-preserver-before-WAC-sinks.html

Bearkats94
December 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM
The WAC, which served BYU and Utah's programs so well for nearly three decades, has been left scrambling to find suitable replacement schools. To that end, the WAC wound up with nice but unheralded, no-name folks like Texas-San Antonio, Texas State and Denver University, which doesn't have a football program, hopelessly trying to take the place of WAC defectors Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State and Hawaii.

It's a desperate, losing battle the WAC can't win.

Utah State, which for years yearned to join the WAC and compete in the same conference with its in-state big brothers Utah and BYU, finally got its shot at WAC membership a few years ago — but only after BYU and Utah had bolted to help form the Mountain West Conference.

You need to post that on the Bobcat board. You know the name change made them a big boy now.xlolx

Sec310
December 13th, 2010, 11:47 AM
South Alabama has SIGNIFICANTLY better facilities than FIU, FAU. They also actually have fans show up at their games. You ever seen attendance at FAU or FIU?

While Mobile, Ala. is obviously not the market that a Miami, Fla. is - the facilities, the fan base and potential for success are far greater than either FIU or FAU across the board. Same goes for WKU adn Middle Tennessee.

Once you get past the market, everything else sways heavily to the school not named FIU and FAU. And again, if you are adding FAU and FIU, you are not gaining any market value.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Conferences look toward POTENTIAL. FIU and FAU have more potential than those podunk towns of the Sun Belt. Maybe their facilities RIGHT NOW, don't match. But the keywords are RIGHT NOW. When FIU & FAU improve their facilities, what will your agruement be? BTW, isn't FIU program about 10 years old?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2010, 11:55 AM
You really don't know what you're talking about. Conferences look toward POTENTIAL. FIU and FAU have more potential than those podunk towns of the Sun Belt...

That is true. FIU and FAU have been trading on their potential for years. And twenty years from now, I think folks will still be saying the same thing about them.

And it shows how idiotic all this posturing about "potential" and "TV markets" really is. FAU and FIU will "deliver" that precious Florida TV market. After all, they have "potential". Yeah. Sure. Whatever you say.

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM
That is true. FIU and FAU have been trading on their potential for years. And twenty years from now, I think folks will still be saying the same thing about them.

And it shows how idiotic all this posturing about "potential" and "TV markets" really is. FAU and FIU will "deliver" that precious Florida TV market. After all, they have "potential". Yeah. Sure. Whatever you say.

No joke!

FAU and FIU can deliver Florida, but when they are both bringing 300-500 people to a bowl game and only putting 750 people in the stands for basketball and less than 17k for football - what good does that do you?

South Alabama averages significantly more fans, as does MT and WKU. Both have better faciltiies and actually put butts in the seats for all their sports. FIU can not continue to live on potential. Even with Isiah Thomas in the house, they are not packing their not so pretty facility.

Sec310
December 15th, 2010, 02:37 AM
The market is only valuable when the member institution can deliver it. Therefore, marketability in so-called "podunk" towns of Nashville and Mobile are much easier for these other schools. Texas Terror is right, my friend. MTSU and Western Kentucky are definitely higher on CUSA's radar than FIU and FAU. Just ask East Carolina AD, Terry Holland. He'll tell you who he'd like to see added to CUSA, and it isn't the F_U schools.

Yeah, Terry Holland speaks for the entire CUSA. What about the other 11 CUSA AD's?

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Great response!

There is no question that MT and WKU are several steps (and even many more steps) in most areas than FIU and FAU. From facilities to fan support to infrastructure to be successful in C-USA or any other league. I really think that WKU would be top three in the all-sports standings in C-USA immediately. MT wouldn't be far behind, if not alongside them.

Appfan_in_CAAland
December 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Just ask East Carolina AD, Terry Holland. He'll tell you who he'd like to see added to CUSA.

Terry Holland has stated on more than one occasion that one of the school he'd like to see in C-USA is located in Boone, North Carolina.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Speaking of FIU - they needed a 'lift' to not lose $$$ on their bowl trip...

Days before Florida International's postseason debut, the athletic department has sold a few hundred tickets to the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl -- just a fraction of what is needed to cover its considerable travel expenses.

To the rescue: the oft-maligned Sun Belt Conference, which has bailed out the Golden Panthers with a $300,000 bowl appearance prize, the largest travel stipend awarded to the league's three bowl teams.

While the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl has an announced payout in the hundreds of thousands, a considerable portion of that purse is based on how many tickets the school sells, said Ken Hoffman, the bowl's executive director.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/17/1977227/golden-panthers-struggling-to.html#ixzz18OmdQgoQ[

Sec310
December 17th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Terry Holland has stated on more than one occasion that one of the school he'd like to see in C-USA is located in Boone, North Carolina.

Again Holland doesn't speak for the other 11 CUSA AD's. Plus what has Holland ever done? Led UVA to a National Championship with Ralph Sampson? Riiiiight.