PDA

View Full Version : GPI Release, 11/09/2010

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?310-GPI-11-09-2010

The Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for the NCAA Division I FCS and a top indicator of at-large playoff selection has Delaware back on top after the previous No. 1-ranked team in the GPI, Appalachian State, fell 21-14 to previously unranked Georgia Southern this past weekend.

xrulesx

GaSouthern
November 9th, 2010, 03:54 PM
GSU ranked 22nd sounds about right.

TypicalTribe
November 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Will be very interesting to see if the committee will give an at-large bid to a conference rated as poorly as the MEAC, absolutely buried near the bottom of this list. Tough for Jacksonville to overcome the conference ranking as well.

FargoBison
November 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Wow SCSU is ranked 17 in AGS and 53 in GPI.

The worst MVFC team YSU at 49, is ahead of SCSU. A 7-4 CAA, Big Sky, SoCon or MVFC team should be a slam dunk over Jacksonville, Dayton and SCSU.

eaglesrthe1
November 9th, 2010, 06:03 PM
What I find most interesting is that while I read that some AGS voters had there polls invalidated for the inclusion of JMU in their submissions, there the school sits in the GPI @ #25. Yet, the GPI in a component used by the selection committee unless I am mistaken, or at the very least is strongly touted by supporters of this site as the most accurate measure of a teams power rating. Seems a bit of a double standard working here.

bigchocolate
November 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Wow SCSU is ranked 17 in AGS and 53 in GPI.

The worst MVFC team YSU at 49, is ahead of SCSU. A 7-4 CAA, Big Sky, SoCon or MVFC team should be a slam dunk over Jacksonville, Dayton and SCSU.

You can't think there are 50+ teams in FCS that are better than SC State. I don't know which variables weigh most in the GPI but it is definitely skewed. Please watch SC State play this Thursday night and honestly say after viewing they don't belong in the hunt for the National Championship. 80% of this playoff field do not want to line up against the Bulldogs of SC State!xnonono2x

eaglesrthe1
November 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM
You can't think there are 50+ teams in FCS that are better than SC State. I don't know which variables weigh most in the GPI but it is definitely skewed. Please watch SC State play this Thursday night and honestly say after viewing they don't belong in the hunt for the National Championship. 80% of this playoff field do not want to line up against the Bulldogs of SC State!xnonono2x

There have been many people in the past (myself included) that have discussed the limitations of the GPI. This year in particular, it's shortcomings appear to be magnified.

FargoBison
November 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM

It is a mixture of computer and human polls. The MEAC tanked it in non-conference play and SCSU did nothing in non-conference play. I don't think it is at all cut and dry that the MEAC has earned two bids, you can look at both this year's results and history to make that determination.

The playoffs should not be about some best record beauty contest. I'll take a 7-4 CAA, Big Sky, MVFC and SoCon any day over a 2nd MEAC team.

BigApp
November 9th, 2010, 07:34 PM
What I find most interesting is that while I read that some AGS voters had there polls invalidated for the inclusion of JMU in their submissions, there the school sits in the GPI @ #25. Yet, the GPI in a component used by the selection committee unless I am mistaken, or at the very least is strongly touted by supporters of this site as the most accurate measure of a teams power rating. Seems a bit of a double standard working here.

They're at #25 b/c of one game. you know that...

Squealofthepig
November 9th, 2010, 07:40 PM
OK, I'm a numbers nerd, so I compared the top 25 GPI list (below) to where they were relative to our latest AGS poll. The first number is the spot they moved from the AGS to the GPI. I've bolded the new entries and teams four or more spots between polls:

(+1) 1. Delaware (1.375)
(-1) 2. William & Mary (1.625)
(--) 3. Eastern Washington 4.125)
(+1) 4. Appalachian State (4.375)
(-1) 5. Wofford (4.625)
(+4) 6. Villanova (6.125)
(-2) 7. Stephen F. Austin (7.75)
(--) 8. Montana State (9.75)
(-2) 9. Jacksonville State (9.875)
(+6) T10. New Hampshire (12.00)
(+3) T10. Northern Iowa (12.00)
(--) 12. Massachusetts (12.875)
(+8) 13. Western Illinois (15.50)
(+1) 14. Montana (16.125)
(-6) 15. Southeast Missouri State (16.50)
(NR) 16. Sacramento State (16.625)
(+5) 17. North Dakota State (19.25)
(NR) 18. Northern Arizona (20.375)
(+1) 19. Cal Poly SLO (21.625)
(+4) 20. Chattanooga (21.75)
(+4) 21. Richmond (22.625)
(NR) 22. Georgia Southern (23.375)
(NR) 23. South Dakota State (24.125)
(-5) 24. Robert Morris (24.375)
(NR) 25. James Madison (24.875)

In the AGS poll but not in top 25: Bethune-Cookman (11); Liberty (14); South Carolina State (17); Pennsylvania (18); Grambling State (23)

BigApp
November 9th, 2010, 07:48 PM

you've beaten 4 of the bottom 7 teams and a non-D1 Benedict. That's why you're rated so low.

eaglesrthe1
November 9th, 2010, 07:49 PM
They're at #25 b/c of one game. you know that...

I think it has more to do with them being in the CAA, but I wasn't supporting nor disputing their ranking.

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Whats the modified GPI lookin' like this week?

bigchocolate
November 9th, 2010, 08:39 PM
It is a mixture of computer and human polls. The MEAC tanked it in non-conference play and SCSU did nothing in non-conference play. I don't think it is at all cut and dry that the MEAC has earned two bids, you can look at both this year's results and history to make that determination.

The playoffs should not be about some best record beauty contest. I'll take a 7-4 CAA, Big Sky, MVFC and SoCon any day over a 2nd MEAC team.

Using simply conference affiliation may have been a safe bet historically but you are very wrong about this year's 2nd place MEAC team. I attended the Cookman/SC State game and they have a good team capable of defeating a few teams in this years playoff field. Its all about the match up. SC State on the other hand has a fighting chance against most of the field.

FargoBison
November 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Using simply conference affiliation may have been a safe bet historically but you are very wrong about this year's 2nd place MEAC team. I attended the Cookman/SC State game and they have a good team capable of defeating a few teams in this years playoff field. Its all about the match up. SC State on the other hand has a fighting chance against most of the field.

It would just be nice if the MEAC had beaten somebody this year in non-conference play. I'm really interested in seeing how well they compete in the playoffs this year simply because I have no idea how good a team like Cookman is. I do plan on watching SCSU play on Thursday so maybe that will change my opinion a bit.

danefan
November 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Whats the modified GPI lookin' like this week?
Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow at some point. Crazy busy today.

smallcollegefbfan
November 9th, 2010, 11:29 PM
GSU ranked 22nd sounds about right.

I had you 24th and almost put you 21 or 22. If you have a good showing this Saturday I was definitely going to move you up. It will be interesting to see if the team has a hangover from it or if they stay focused and follow it up with a solid game this weekend.

darell1976
November 10th, 2010, 08:00 AM
#59...that puts us 11th out of the 13 teams in the new Big Sky. Not bad since we are experiencing our worst team in almost a decade.

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Personally, I'd LOVE To.

CAAisBOSS
November 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM
+1

MacThor
November 10th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Again, point me to SC State's quality win this year. Last year? Year before that?

WMTribe90
November 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Not voting this year, but right now I'd have BC somewhere around #15 and SCST in the ORV range of 26 - 30 based on their SOS.

When I watch MEAC football games I see a great deal of individual talent. But, I also see the following (relative to playoff teams from the CAA, SoCon, etc.)

1. Poor conditioning on the OL and DL.

2. Sub-par special teams, especially in the kicking games. Generally the MEAC teams don't appear to put the effort or attention to detail into special teams that you see from playoff squads.

3. Penalties. I know the refs will get blamed here, but I see a lack of coaching and discipline. In the same vein as penalties there just seems to be a general lack of polish with the MEAC squads. Lots of the little things, fine coaching detail work, that seems to be lacking.

If the MEAC teams could improve in these areas there certainly is enough talent on these squads for them to compete in the playoffs. If SCST wins out, I think they are a bubble team, but I do have a hard time justifying a second MEAC team until the conference either wins a playoff game or schedules and beats some top 25 teams in their OOC games. Otherwise, I'm left with the eyeball test and my above impressions of MEAC play.

emilimo701
November 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
poll discrepancy = human error.

numbers don't lie :btw:

danefan
November 10th, 2010, 07:40 PM
poll discrepancy = human error.

numbers don't lie :btw:

#'s are a MEAC fans worst nightmare this year...........

bkrownd
November 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
When I watch MEAC football games I see a great deal of individual talent. But, I also see the following (relative to playoff teams from the CAA, SoCon, etc.)
[...snippage...] Lots of the little things, fine coaching detail work, that seems to be lacking.

What's the deal? Do they have a full, quality coaching staff comparable to "major" programs? Less resources? Cutting corners? Lax culture compared to the big boys?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM
What's the deal? Do they have a full, quality coaching staff comparable to "major" programs? Less resources? Cutting corners? Lax culture compared to the big boys?

"And for the final bracket, 7-4 UMass will be sent to Daytona Beach to play undefeated Bethune Cookman! 'We're going to prove to those p**** Minutemen that we don't cut corners and are far from lax,' head coach Brian Jenkins was quoted as saying."

xlolx

bkrownd
November 11th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I would sure welcome an interesting new matchup like that.