PDA

View Full Version : (ESPNU Thursday Night) Pough: S.C. State needs quality showing on national stage

R.A.
November 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Pough: S.C. State needs quality showing on national stage

By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer | Posted: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:00 am

With two games remaining, 14th-ranked South Carolina State's chances at "three-peating" as Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference champion outright are just about nil.

A Bethune-Cookman win at home over Howard this Saturday clinches it at least a share of the conference title and the automatic qualifying berth to the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs. At that point, the best the Bulldogs can hope for is co-sharing the title and returning to the FCS playoffs as an at-large team.

Even with S.C. State's current standing in both FCS Top 25 polls, head coach Oliver "Buddy" Pough believes it needs to enhance its credentials with a strong showing this Thursday at Morgan State before a live nationally televised audience on ESPNU.

"I think we need to go in there and play well, especially in front of a national audience," Pough said. "I think a lot of (FCS playoff) committee members will kind of look at the game and see if we deserve to go."

Continue reading this article at: http://thetandd.com/sports/bulldogzone/article_37e62cda-ebbd-11df-aefe-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story

DSUrocks07
November 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
A Bethune-Cookman win at home over Howard this Saturday clinches it at least a share of the conference title and the automatic qualifying berth to the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

Wrong, should SC State lose, and FAMU were to hold of the Pirates this weekend, The Florida Classic will decide the AQ. xnodx

R.A.
November 9th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Whatever... B- CU's going down this weekend.

MacThor
November 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Pough: S.C. State needs quality showing on national stage

By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer | Posted: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:00 am

With two games remaining, 14th-ranked South Carolina State's chances at "three-peating" as Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference champion outright are just about nil.

A Bethune-Cookman win at home over Howard this Saturday clinches it at least a share of the conference title and the automatic qualifying berth to the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs. At that point, the best the Bulldogs can hope for is co-sharing the title and returning to the FCS playoffs as an at-large team.

Even with S.C. State's current standing in both FCS Top 25 polls, head coach Oliver "Buddy" Pough believes it needs to enhance its credentials with a strong showing this Thursday at Morgan State before a live nationally televised audience on ESPNU.

"I think we need to go in there and play well, especially in front of a national audience," Pough said. "I think a lot of (FCS playoff) committee members will kind of look at the game and see if we deserve to go."

Continue reading this article at: http://thetandd.com/sports/bulldogzone/article_37e62cda-ebbd-11df-aefe-001cc4c03286.html?mode=story

"Man, I wish we could prove our playoff-worthiness on National TV against Morgan State."
---sentiment of at least 15 bubble teams more deserving of an at-large

Big Dawg
November 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Wrong, should SC State lose, and FAMU were to hold of the Pirates this weekend, The Florida Classic will decide the AQ. xnodx

Actually, FAMU, BCU, and SCSU would all be MEAC Champs...however, only one team would get the AQ...so technically R.A. is correct...LOL

DSUrocks07
November 10th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Actually, FAMU, BCU, and SCSU would all be MEAC Champs...however, only one team would get the AQ...so technically R.A. is correct...LOL

if SCSU loses to Morgan, (very possible)

BCU: 7-0
FAMU: 6-1
SCSU: 5-2

FAMU wins the FC, both are tied at 7-1 with FAMU having the tiebreaker. The Rattlers don't have it over the Dogs tho. So they'll need an SC State loss over the last two weeks.

Humble Steward
November 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Really, I mean really!!! I love the Bison's spirit.

9-0 and two to go.

Just Win Baby!!!

mikebigg
November 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM
The better Thursday night game (in terms of competitiveness) will be the Grambling-TxSU game on ESPN Classic!

R.A.
November 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
"Man, I wish we could prove our playoff-worthiness on National TV against Morgan State."
---sentiment of at least 15 bubble teams more deserving of an at-large

Perhaps that's an issue that the schools should take up with their conferences leadership... as opposed to revealing their jealousy of South Carolina State's fortunate situation.

R.A.
November 10th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Lets credit Thomas grant for this one Big Dawg.

R.A.
November 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM
The better Thursday night game (in terms of competitiveness) will be the Grambling-TxSU game on ESPN Classic!

Texas Southern and Johnny Cole are ball'n down there... plus they get that new stadium next season... watch out.

MacThor
November 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Perhaps that's an issue that the schools should take up with their conferences leadership... as opposed to revealing their jealousy of South Carolina State's fortunate situation.

Sorry, playing Morgan State is no way to prove playoff-worth. Having even one OOC quality win would make more of an impression.

ejjones
November 10th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Sorry, playing Morgan State is no way to prove playoff-worth. Having even one OOC quality win would make more of an impression.

It's not the opponent, it's the opportunity to showcase on a national stage; how many FCS schools can say they played on national tv thus yr? Keep in mind, Morgan was leading North Dakota st until :22 left in the third.

That's'why the dog'spasses the "eye" test with human polls...they're playing on tv and folks have seen them play. One thing will be clear after the game....you may not know how bad Morgan is, but you will know that the Dog's defense is great.

mikebigg
November 11th, 2010, 01:18 AM
It's not the opponent, it's the opportunity to showcase on a national stage; how many FCS schools can say they played on national tv thus yr? Keep in mind, Morgan was leading North Dakota st until :22 left in the third.

That's'why the dog'spasses the "eye" test with human polls...they're playing on tv and folks have seen them play. One thing will be clear after the game....you may not know how bad Morgan is, but you will know that the Dog's defense is great.

I agree that this is an excellent game to showcase two FCS schools... however, I really don't think nothing you guys can do will impress ENUFF to sway the selection of an at-large MEAC team to the playoffs. The MEAC will always have to combat the "Yall don't play enuff outside competition" argument. I'm fairly sure there's other conference with lesser OOC opponents but still getting awarded multiple selections. Perception is tough to overcome... look at how their fondness of App State and "weighing" of their past success influenced them to still rank App State as #3 despite losing to a 4 loss Georgia Southern team while not showing any increase in the ranking of Georgia Southern.

R.A.
November 11th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I think "Steat" will make it this year with a 9-2 record. If they don't, it will be the third year since 2004 that South Carolina State University, hasn't made the FCS Playoffs with a 9-2 record.

Check this out...

2001: 6-5-0 Coach: Willie E. Jeffries
2002: 7-5-0 Coach: Oliver "Buddy" Pough
2003: 8-4-0 Coach: Oliver "Buddy" Pough
2004: 9-2-0 Coach: Oliver "Buddy" Pough Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Co-Champions
2005: 9-2-0 Coach: Oliver "Buddy" Pough
2006: 7-4-0 Coach: Oliver "Buddy" Pough
2007: 7-4-0 Coach: Oliver "Buddy" Pough
2008: 10-3-0 Coach: Oliver "Buddy" Pough Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Champions
2009: 10-2-0 Coach: Oliver "Buddy" Pough Black College National Champions Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Champions

South Carolina State University is a program of consistency. They haven't had a losing record this decade.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 09:21 AM

North Dakota State beat Morgan State in Fargo 38 - 9; scoring 21 in the fourth quarter to pull away for the win. SCSU will play Morgan in Baltimore (and they are a conference mate, so Morgan is used to SCSU). If SCSU beats Morgan convincingly on the road, then they deserve to be viewed equally with NDSU as an at-large candidate.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Does NDSU play in the MEAC? Did SCSU beat a Big 12 team? Heck the week NDSU beat Kansas, SCSU played Georgia Tech and lost 41-10. The very next week Kansas beat Georgia Tech.

During that Morgan State game our starting QB was knocked out with a concussion and we had a freshmen playing behind reshuffled O-line. Things didn't come together until the end of the third quarter.

MVFC #3 conference
MEAC #14 conference

NDSU #25 SOS
SCSU #108 SOS

Comparable because they also might throttle Morgan State, what a crock of BS.

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM
If SCSU makes it in the post season, they make it in. If they don't make the post season, they don't.

If SCSU does, they would have earned in the eyes of the committee. If they don't make it, a 9-2 season is a GREAT season. It's not a constant that a team will win 9 games.

It is what it is.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I can agree with that westcoastaggie.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Does NDSU play in the MEAC? Did SCSU beat a Big 12 team? Heck the week NDSU beat Kansas, SCSU played Georgia Tech and lost 41-10. The very next week Kansas beat Georgia Tech.

During that Morgan State game our starting QB was knocked out with a concussion and we had a freshmen playing behind reshuffled O-line. Things didn't come together until the end of the third quarter.

MVFC #3 conference
MEAC #14 conference

NDSU #25 SOS
SCSU #108 SOS

Everyone has injuries. . .that's a part of football. But if you don't think that results against common opponents isn't a criteria of any selection committee you're being naive. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'equally'; but I fully believe this will be considered.

You act as if by making a comparison between SCSU and NDSU, I'm diminishing what the Bison have done this season; and that is simply not the case. The full resume may not be comparable, but that game result is comparable.

As far as the Kansas/Georgia Tech/NDSU/SCSU comparison; it would certainly hold up much better if both NDSU and SCSU had played Kansas. They are not a common opponent; and believe me, Ga. Tech would mop the floor with either team (NDSU or SCSU) right now. Could SCSU beat Kansas? I doubt it, but that's why we call FCS victories over BCS conference teams upsets.

R.A.
November 11th, 2010, 10:57 AM

MVFC #3 conference
MEAC #14 conference

NDSU #25 SOS
SCSU #108 SOS

Well, the way for both teams to prove their worth, is to settle it on the field...schedule each other next year...

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM
You are diminishing what we have done because just as you say the full resume is not comparable, you are pulling one game out to prop SCSU up.

I am not a tough person to please, I'd give SCSU and MEAC all the respect in the world if they would have actually beaten somebody in out of conference play. But SCSU didn't even give themselves a chance with the garbage non-conference schedule they played. MVSU and Benedict? Come on...

R.A.
November 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM
You are diminishing what we have done because just as you say the full resume is not comparable, you are pulling one game out to prop SCSU up.

I am not a tough person to please, I'd give SCSU and MEAC all the respect in the world if they would have actually beaten somebody in out of conference play. But SCSU didn't even give themselves a chance with the garbage non-conference schedule they played.

So schedule them next season then...

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM

I am not a tough person to please, I'd give SCSU and MEAC all the respect in the world if they would have actually beaten somebody in out of conference play. But SCSU didn't even give themselves a chance with the garbage non-conference schedule they played.

It's been hashed over again and again here on this board how SCSU ended up with their schedule for 2010.

If it offends you that badly to be compared to a playoff qualifier from the last two seasons, then that's fine as well.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM

We have an opening, thanks to Georgia Southern backing out on us.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 11:20 AM

They aren't going to give up a home game and the chance to please their fans, to travel to South Carolina.

Yet that's what is expected of SCSU. . . xoopsx

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
It's been hashed over again and again here on this board how SCSU ended up with their schedule for 2010.

If it offends you that badly to be compared to a playoff qualifier from the last two seasons, then that's fine as well.

Does it offend me? Not really, I guess your schedule is what it is and there is nothing you can do about it. I just like seeing teams step up and challenge themselves. The FCS is becoming way too regionalized and everyone seems to be fine with staying in their own little area. I'd love for NDSU to play SCSU or Hampton or BC-U, we have played teams from all over so maybe one day it will happen.

I didn't want to make it sound like I was offended, I will watch SCSU's game tonight and maybe I'll change my tune a bit. I'm willing to give your that much since you guys do seem to have a tough time getting quality games.

bosshogg
November 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM
They aren't going to give up a home game and the chance to please their fans, to travel to South Carolina.

Yet that's what is expected of SCSU. . . xoopsx

agree with this part. I know that SCSU is willing to travel anywhere and play anyone in a home and home. Teams in our own state are not willing to do so. I know that a SOCON team in SC was approached that we wanted to play but the absolutely REFUSED to do a home and home. they would only play us at their place. so we moved on and scheduled MVSU.

Coach Pough is not afraid to play anyone. We just want a fair deal. A home and home is not anything out of the ordinary.

jmufan999
November 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM

has nothing to do with "leadership", it has to do with what ESPN or ESPNU prefers. it's not like the CAA commish can call ESPN and force them to televise UNH-Nova or something. doesn't work that way. obviously, ESPN prefers to showcase teams that don't go far in the playoffs. CAA and SoCon teams have won 7 straight national titles. how many nationally televised games do those conferences get? not nearly as many as the MEAC. it's not even remotely close. i guess you can call it jealousy if you want. really, it's just more baffling.

hey, congrats on the exposure... great. but you can understand how the rest of us are beyond confused as to why it happens. if you can't understand this, then try to look at it objectively. start with GPI conference ratings and go from there. CAA #1, SoCon #4, MEAC #14. if it were just this game, it would be one thing. but there is a HUGE disparity in the allotment of these games with the various FCS conferences.

jmufan999
November 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM
by the way, no disrespect intended to #2 Big Sky and #3 MVFC... just gave SoCon as an example because of the recent national titles.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
has nothing to do with "leadership", it has to do with what ESPN or ESPNU prefers. it's not like the CAA commish can call ESPN and force them to televise UNH-Nova or something. doesn't work that way. obviously, ESPN prefers to showcase teams that don't go far in the playoffs. CAA and SoCon teams have won 7 straight national titles. how many nationally televised games do those conferences get? not nearly as many as the MEAC. it's not even remotely close. i guess you can call it jealousy if you want. really, it's just more baffling.

hey, congrats on the exposure... great. but you can understand how the rest of us are beyond confused as to why it happens. if you can't understand this, then try to look at it objectively. start with GPI conference ratings and go from there. CAA #1, SoCon #4, MEAC #14. if it were just this game, it would be one thing. but there is a HUGE disparity in the allotment of these games with the various FCS conferences.

Remember what guides ESPN's decisions.

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Honestly, if you want a contract which the schools do not have the chance to sell their rights to air games locally and have more games on TV, by all means go ahead.

ESPN wants these games because of the demographics in which the MEAC, and SWAC, contains. Black College Football, albeit dying, is a unique brand of football which caters to a demographic that Disney, who owns ESPNU, wants to advertise towards.

MacThor
November 11th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I wish I had left the "national TV" part out of my statement. I don't care that the game's televised. Good for them.

I'm bothered by the idea that a game against Morgan State can be considered to demonstrate playoff-worthiness. I'm still waiting to hear SC St's -- or ANY MEAC team's, for that matter -- quality win in the past three years.

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I wish I had left the "national TV" part out of my statement. I don't care that the game's televised. Good for them.

I'm bothered by the idea that a game against Morgan State can be considered to demonstrate playoff-worthiness. I'm still waiting to hear SC St's -- or ANY MEAC team's, for that matter -- quality win in the past three years.

We really don't know if the committee is even using this game as a benchmark for SC State. Many of my fellow MEACFans are searching for any sort of silver lining to say SC State is certainly in the Post Season.

The fact of it all is that "Steat's" S.O.S. may keep them out of the post season, and with good reason. It will not be the 1st time this happened either.

But if Steat wins the last two game, which most likely will happen, and make it the playoffs, they would have earned it in the eyes of the committee.

jmufan999
November 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM

right, i say "good for them" also! i obviously wouldn't be pissed if i were a fan of a MEAC team, i'd be thrilled. i'm just saying, it sucks that the rest of "us" don't get to participate.

DSUrocks07
November 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
right, i say "good for them" also! i obviously wouldn't be pissed if i were a fan of a MEAC team, i'd be thrilled. i'm just saying, it sucks that the rest of "us" don't get to participate.

xlolx

you have no idea how wrong you would be about that...xnonono2x

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2010, 02:44 PM

How would it suck? If you are speaking of JMU, if JMU handled their business, they would be in the playoffs with a possible seed. You can't fault SC State, Jacksonville, SEMO or anyone else for the Dukes not winning those games in the CAA just as SC State can't fault anyone for wanting a home game so badly, they scheduled Miss. Valley State instead of possibly traveling to Fargo.

It is what it is, "fair" or not.

BTW: I HOPE you weren't implying any sort of affirmative action is being enacted for the MEAC?

That's just wrong.

DSUrocks07
November 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM
How would it suck? If you are speaking of JMU, if JMU handled their business, they would be in the playoffs with a possible seed. You can't fault SC State, Jacksonville, SEMO or anyone else for the Dukes not winning those games in the CAA just as SC State can't fault anyone for wanting a home game so badly, they scheduled Miss. Valley State instead of possibly traveling to Fargo.

It is what it is, "fair" or not.

BTW: I HOPE you weren't implying any sort of affirmative action is being enacted for the MEAC?

That's just wrong.

he's referring to the ESPN contract

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
he's referring to the ESPN contract

Well in that case, he should be in favor of JMU moving up to FBS. What people fail to realize is that this is a Business and TV Networks are in the business of getting eyeballs onto their programming so that Advertisers will be willing to pay big $$$ to showcase their products to those eyeballs. Why do you think Networks charge Millions for a 30 sec. ad during the Super Bowl?

In terms of the CAA and other FCS leagues, there isn't a big national interest in those games. With HBCU's and black college football, there is a unique market that isn't necessiarly reached by the BCS. The few people who watch FCS games watch FBS games so there is no point in having FCS games on, in ESPN's opinion. they wouldn't get much money from the Advertisers.

You have to remember that Companies, like disney want to reach african-american's who graduate from college because they spend money. Most African-American's still graduate from HBCU's and thats why ESPN has a contract with the MEAC & SWAC.

BTW: it's not like the contract with the MEAC is a "good" one.

glsjunior
November 11th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Hey one of your new members is getting a nationally televised game next Thurs with Herbstreit, Fowler and Desmond Howard. Schedule GSU and your chances of getting on tv increases..lol

molly
November 11th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Is there a link to this game online? I don't see it on espn3 or chanelsurfing.

Mr. C
November 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Don't know about a link, but it is on ESPNU on TV.

College Sporting News is in the house at Hughes Stadium. Here is the blog on the game:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?109-South-Carolina-State-vs-Morgan-State&bt=361

tribefan40
November 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Watching the game, a couple observations...

1. The SC State QB looks huge, amplified by the full body padding. He has crazy arm strength, very impressive in that regard.

2. The SC State defense does look good, but Morgan St. (with the Freshman QB) is definitely finding the holes.

3. First female ref. I have ever seen.

More to come...xreadx

Mr. C
November 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM

1. The SC State QB looks huge, amplified by the full body padding. He has crazy arm strength, very impressive in that regard.

2. The SC State defense does look good, but Morgan St. (with the Freshman QB) is definitely finding the holes.

More to come...xreadx

I've seen South Carolina State twice in person this year (I also saw the Bethune-Cookman game live) and I've also seen them a few times on TV. Their defense is particularly good at stopping teams when they get near the red zone. Morgan State may be 4-5, but this team has pretty good talent (keep an eye on No. 2, freshman cornerback Joe Rankin for one). It has been an entertaining game to watch in person.

Malcolm Long is indeed a BIG QB. He is physically imposing. It is good to see that he is finally starting to get healthy after a lot of nagging injuries this season. You can see that he is moving a lot better than he has all year. He is like a poor man's Byron Leftwich.

SCSU folks say that they have had this referee (Shannon Eastin) three times this season.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM

More to come...xreadx

The same wack arse calls during our game. The MEAC office should apologize for these calls; it is occurring too much in this conference.

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hard to take her seriously. They really blew that call on the fumble.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'm now thankful for Missouri Valley refs, that fumble call was bad.

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Worst officiating voice ever.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 08:59 PM
That boy really showed his ***. I hope his momma is watching.

NovaHater
November 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM
This game is a joke... officials, sloppy play, poor sportsmanship.
Great showcase for the MEAC

Chi Panther
November 11th, 2010, 09:01 PM
What a scum bag.....can't believe he pushed that player....

Mr. C
November 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Just because some MSU players have lost their composure and the officiating has been bad in the third period (it was fine in the first half) doesn't make this game a joke. I see plenty of bad officiating in the CAA, too. Were you at the JMU-Villanova game a few weeks ago.

South Carolina State is starting to hit stride at the right time. In my eyes, they are a playoff-caliber team and would be dangerous for opponents, if they get the chance to play. I know Andy Talley doesn't want to face them (we've had that conversation).

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Maybe it's just the TV games, but by watching these games, I would argue that the MEAC has some of the worst sportsmanship in the country. Would be curious to see the stats on # of personal foul.

Also, idiot announcer just said the CAA regularly gets 7 teams into the playoffs.

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Next announcer on the fumble says the QB tried to bat it into the endzone...then says he tried to bat it to a teammate. Definitely looked like he just tried to recover it.

I agree with Mr. C that SC State looks pretty good. I hate their OOC schedule. When I asked Coach Pugh about it last year he tried to tell me they had one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country. Realistically the only good team on the non-conf slate is the FBS opponent, and if they don't win, let alone keep that game close, it's hard to tell much off of that game. Given the MEAC's playoff history, why would you not schedule one decent game?

kdinva
November 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Looks to me he runs a 6.3 forty...........

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Looks to me he runs a 6.3 forty...........

lol

kdinva
November 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Worst officiating voice ever.

Isn't she the P.A. voice of the S. F. Giants.........xspankx

Mr. C
November 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Doesn't matter on the 40 time, if you can avoid a pass rush and complete passes under pressure like Long has done tonight.

DSUrocks07
November 11th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Next announcer on the fumble says the QB tried to bat it into the endzone...then says he tried to bat it to a teammate. Definitely looked like he just tried to recover it.

I agree with Mr. C that SC State looks pretty good. I hate their OOC schedule. When I asked Coach Pugh about it last year he tried to tell me they had one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country. Realistically the only good team on the non-conf slate is the FBS opponent, and if they don't win, let alone keep that game close, it's hard to tell much off of that game. Given the MEAC's playoff history, why would you not schedule one decent game?

They did have one, but said team refused a home-and-home series...so MVSU was their only option on short notice.

Mr. C
November 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM

From the coaches I talk to, nobody from the big conferences wants to play South Carolina State, because of their defense. From what I see with my eyes, this is a playoff team. While I would like to see a tougher out-of-conference schedule, I still think the Bulldogs are pretty good. They are getting some key guys healthy, too, like Asheton Jordan at RB and Long, which makes them dangerous.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
From the coaches I talk to, nobody from the big conferences wants to play South Carolina State, because of their defense. From what I see with my eyes, this is a playoff team. While I would like to see a tougher out-of-conference schedule, I still think the Bulldogs are pretty good. They are getting some key guys healthy, too, like Asheton Jordan at RB and Long, which makes them dangerous.

I keep telling folks to think like an AD and not like a fan.

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM

I agree with that to some extent. I hear that a lot at UNI. It's hard to get teams that want to come to the dome. If they do then you have to figure out who gets the home games and when.

They would have a lot stronger case for an at-large if they could get even a slightly better opponent.

Mr. C
November 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I keep telling folks to think like an AD and not like a fan.
If South Carolina State finishes ranked in the top 15, as they likely will after playing North Carolina A&T next week, it will be pretty hard for the committee to keep this team out of the playoffs.

MacThor
November 11th, 2010, 09:51 PM
After watching this entire game, I can't decide which is more unbelievable:

A) That it was televised
B) That one of these teams is ranked
C) That one of these teams is even remotely on the playoff radar
D) That I watched this entire game

All of the above, I think.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/South_Park/Images/Stan-marsh-3.jpg

http://www.wired.com/images/article/full/2008/04/stan_lee_580x.jpg

http://haisaradem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/american-dad-yahoo1.jpg

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2010, 09:59 PM

A) That it was televised

Harsh. xlolx

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Watched the game, well most of the game(I could only take so much). But nothing really changed my mind, borderline playoff team and it made me feel better about where I had them ranked(#21).

Mr. C
November 11th, 2010, 10:53 PM

A) That it was televised

If you don't think South Carolina State is deserving to be ranked:

1. You haven't seen many of the other teams that ARE ranked.

2. You don't understand the importance of defense in football.

3. You are not very knowledgeable about FCS football.

Sorry, but this type of bashing is ridiculous.

Mr. C
November 11th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Watched the game, well most of the game(I could only take so much). But nothing really changed my mind, borderline playoff team and it made me feel better about where I had them ranked(#21).

IMO, South Carolina State would thump North Dakota State.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 11:08 PM
IMO, South Carolina State would thump North Dakota State.

IMO your opinion is laughable.

I'd take NDSU's defense over SCSU, probably our special teams as well. Offense might be a wash.

Dane96
November 11th, 2010, 11:23 PM

1. I have seen a majority of the teams ranked

2. I understand defense

3. I know FCS football.

That game was horrible...and there is no ****ing way the Committee takes two teams from the MEAC. It's auto-bid or bust.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2010, 11:40 PM
xcoffeex34 rushes for -0.5 yards per rush. . .xeyebrowx

I think that Bethune-Cookman beat this team at home is impressive. xscanx

ejjones
November 11th, 2010, 11:44 PM
1. I have seen a majority of the teams ranked

2. I understand defense

3. I know FCS football.

That game was horrible...and there is no ****ing way the Committee takes two teams from the MEAC. It's auto-bid or bust.
1. Apparently not
2. Apparently not
3. Apparently not

4. It's good folks like yourself has no bearing on who goes to the playoffs. Where did you procure your hateraid?

You have never said anything remotely close to a positive comment.
IMO, you should just wait and see.

PantherRob82
November 11th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Did you know.....

The MEAC is 3-8 vs. FCS opponents, two of those wins vs. Savannah State.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Did you know.....

That makes the other win 0-9 Mississippi Valley State correct?

Dane96
November 11th, 2010, 11:49 PM
duplicate

Dane96
November 11th, 2010, 11:49 PM
First, ye of 38 posts will question my support of the MEAC or otherwise...saying I have said nothing but negative. Ok...what exactly do you base that statement on. Are you some kind of lurker who just decided to post in the last few months?

For a fact, at one point this year I had 2 MEAC teams in my rankings pretty high...and Grambling knocking at the door. But to answer your comments with specificty...

1. Have
2. Coached, played, and am from a family of defensive coaches (all of us at a high level).
3. Been around the FCS game for over 25 years...pretty pertinent knowledge.

That was a bad game...and I think Bethune is a decent team...but I am not convinced after that performance tonight (last night) that SCSU is the SCSU of the past couple of years. Bethune beating you at home was the first question mark; the schedule a second; the performance tonight...no great shakes.

Sorry...this isnt a year that a 2nd team from the MEAC deserves to go. Same could be said of the NEC, Big South and Patriot League to name a few. No disrespect...just the truth.

There is no way a second team from any of these leagues would be deserving of a bid over other conferences getting multiple bids.

Dane96
November 11th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Did you know.....

Nah...he just likes to argue without facts.

ejjones
November 12th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Ok, ye of over 6000 post; I've read this board for quite some time...entertainment value for the most part. Quality, not quantity.

I say again, IMO, you should wait and see...then asked which shoe you would like to be inserted with your 6000 posts.

ejjones
November 12th, 2010, 12:09 AM
That makes the other win 0-9 Mississippi Valley State correct?

That maybe true; report back after the playoffs on ooc wins.

Squealofthepig
November 12th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Quality, not quantity.

I say again, IMO, you should wait and see...then asked which shoe you would like to be inserted with your 6000 posts.

Work on the quality part, please. There are positive things you can say about SC State, but you're not saying them. You're pumping your chest and saying, umm... this board is entertainment value, which makes me believe you're mostly a troll.

Here, I'll help - SC State is one of few FCS teams with only one FCS loss. Of their two losses, one is to an FBS school and another to a team that everyone agrees will be in the playoffs. Long is a good quarterback and when protected turns in solid numbers, and will have over 2000 passing yards.

On the other hand, you also have to acknowledge that there are numerous weaknesses and negatives. SC State has no quality wins; yes, you can argue about the MEAC here, but the AD isn't scheduling ooc games other than cash payouts from FBS schools. The one playoff team you played beat you - indeed, prevented you from scoring - at home. Add to that a conference that is rated by Sagarin in the penultimate position, and it's really getting hard to argue for a second MEAC school.

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Work on the quality part, please. There are positive things you can say about SC State, but you're not saying them. You're pumping your chest and saying, umm... this board is entertainment value, which makes me believe you're mostly a troll.

Here, I'll help - SC State is one of few FCS teams with only one FCS loss. Of their two losses, one is to an FBS school and another to a team that everyone agrees will be in the playoffs. Long is a good quarterback and when protected turns in solid numbers, and will have over 2000 passing yards.

On the other hand, you also have to acknowledge that there are numerous weaknesses and negatives. SC State has no quality wins; yes, you can argue about the MEAC here, but the AD isn't scheduling ooc games other than cash payouts from FBS schools. The one playoff team you played beat you - indeed, prevented you from scoring - at home. Add to that a conference that is rated by Sagarin in the penultimate position, and it's really getting hard to argue for a second MEAC school.

Great post. I think you've about summed it all up. We may see a MEAC playoff win this year, but if it's only the play in round it won't get them much more respect. I haven't gotten to watch as much nationwide because of traveling so much this fall, but the MEAC is one of the conferences that almost always has a televised Thursday night game. I'm not that convinced that the MEAC is more than a one or two team conference at best.

MacThor
November 12th, 2010, 04:31 AM

1. Wrong. I've seen a few teams that are NOT ranked that are better than SC State.
2. Wrong. I played defense at the FCS level, coached defense, and watched nearly every game of a national championship caliber defense in 2008.
3. Wrong. See 1 and 2. I've attended MEAC games. I've attended FCS games that don't involve my alma mater. My wife can't wait for the FCS season to end -- she thinks I'm obsessed.

The bottom line is this. When choosing between at-large candidates that meet their criteria, the committee should only select a team that has a reasonable chance of advancing to the quarterfinals. There is no honest, objective evaluation of this team that could reach that conclusion.

I will grant that given a favorable matchup in the first round, they might win a play-in game. This is the first year in a long time the playoffs have actually ranked the entrants so that the "bottom 8" will play each other. (In the past it was possible for the 1 seed to play the best unseeded team in the first round)

I am still waiting for someone to point to a quality win for any MEAC school in recent history. Perhaps the MEAC defender who claimed he spent a lot of time researching, and couldn't come up with a single 3-loss at-large team that ever made noise in the playoffs, could get on that.

Dane96
November 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Second PantherRob's assessment of this-- GREAT POST!

leatherneck177
November 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I'm glad someone else thought this game was poorly played. I know not all teams play perfect football all the time, but both teams look awful.

leatherneck177
November 12th, 2010, 08:33 AM

A) That it was televised

Agree on B and C. And I am not stating that WIU should get in, I am only discussing these two teams.

R.A.
November 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM

When I try to look objectively, I look at schools like Furman and The Citadel, turning SC State down for games... so, when other conferences complain about our scheduling practices, it's just funny for me.

By the way JMU fans, when in the world is your school going to play Hampton @ Hampton in Armstrong Stadium??

Hampton's been to JMU twice. The fact that Hampton defeated JMU twice @ JMU has nothing to do with the return trip not happening, right??

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2010, 08:54 AM
When I try to look objectively, I look at schools like Furman and The Citadel, turning SC State down for games... so, when other conferences complain about our scheduling practices, it's just funny for me.

By the way JMU fans, when in the world is your school going to play Hampton @ Hampton in Armstrong Stadium??

Hampton's been to JMU twice. The fact that Hampton defeated JMU twice @ JMU has nothing to do with the return trip not happening, right??

Oh I'm pretty sure they'll play them now.

R.A.
November 12th, 2010, 08:54 AM

It's my understanding that SC State went hard after Furman and The Citadel this season... but neither team wanted to play the Bulldogs. Furman scheduled my school- Howard instead. Also, Wofford would have been open to the Bulldogs, but South Carolina State insisted on a home game, since SC State last played the Terriers in Spartanburg, and the Bulldogs were desperate for another home contest financially.

I don't know exactly what happen with Coastal this season.

aust42
November 12th, 2010, 09:01 AM
WTF was up with the woman head official?

R.A.
November 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM
1. Wrong. I've seen a few teams that are NOT ranked that are better than SC State.
2. Wrong. I played defense at the FCS level, coached defense, and watched nearly every game of a national championship caliber defense in 2008.
3. Wrong. See 1 and 2. I've attended MEAC games. I've attended FCS games that don't involve my alma mater. My wife can't wait for the FCS season to end -- she thinks I'm obsessed.

The bottom line is this. When choosing between at-large candidates that meet their criteria, the committee should only select a team that has a reasonable chance of advancing to the quarterfinals. There is no honest, objective evaluation of this team that could reach that conclusion.

I will grant that given a favorable matchup in the first round, they might win a play-in game. This is the first year in a long time the playoffs have actually ranked the entrants so that the "bottom 8" will play each other. (In the past it was possible for the 1 seed to play the best unseeded team in the first round)

I am still waiting for someone to point to a quality win for any MEAC school in recent history. Perhaps the MEAC defender who claimed he spent a lot of time researching, and couldn't come up with a single 3-loss at-large team that ever made noise in the playoffs, could get on that.

You appear to be well connected at Richmond... perhaps you should play SC State next year.

WestCoastAggie
November 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
It is blatantly obvious that the MEAC doesn't put fourth the time and effort to improve its officiating. I just don't understand why this is.

R.A.
November 12th, 2010, 09:19 AM
It is blatantly obvious that the MEAC doesn't put fourth the time and effort to improve its officiating. I just don't understand why this is.

I wouldn't say that.

The officiating crew from the televised A&T/ B- CU game is suspended for the year.

And this is the first time I have seen a head official that is a female.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Coaches and ADs don't complain enough. The mistakes that are made on a regular basis far outweigh any excellent performances.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't say that.

The officiating crew from the televised A&T/ B- CU game is suspended for the year.

We had her for our game against Ed Waters. I'm all for female referees. But they gotta get the calls right and appear to be organized.

WestCoastAggie
November 12th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't say that.

Just because you "suspend" a crew for "a year" does not mean that the MEAC offices are spending money on teaching sessions or other items to help their ref's improve their craft.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Just because you "suspend" a crew for "a year" does not mean that the MEAC offices are spending money on teaching sessions or other items to help their ref's improve their craft.

Maybe they'll use the Legacy Bowl money for that. .xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I think SC State is a legit team, but I apply the Boise State principle when it comes to giving them a chance. It's unfair to leave them out of the big one, but it's even more unfair to put them in over 8-3 and some 7-4 teams that play in much better conferences. The MEAC has been drubbed by every good FCS OOC opponent they have had, and FAMU lost to the worst OVC team. Not to mention the MEAC hasn't had strong showings in the playoffs lately.

I feel for SC State...I really do. I wish they'd ditch the MEAC and get in the SoCon, but I just don't think they deserve an at-large.

NovaHater
November 12th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Just because some MSU players have lost their composure and the officiating has been bad in the third period (it was fine in the first half) doesn't make this game a joke. I see plenty of bad officiating in the CAA, too. Were you at the JMU-Villanova game a few weeks ago.

South Carolina State is starting to hit stride at the right time. In my eyes, they are a playoff-caliber team and would be dangerous for opponents, if they get the chance to play. I know Andy Talley doesn't want to face them (we've had that conversation).

Who said I referring just to Morgan St ? When I stopped watching SC St had 4 personal fouls.

Sorry if I said something wrong, I should have realized that since you are obviously a MEAC homer this is what you are use to seeing on a weekly basis. The late hits, sloppy play, indecisive officials, people told to leave the stadium. This I guess is the norm for you.

And having someone on the sidelines told to leave the field, please tell me when (other than a MEAC game) you have ever seen this ?

Glad SC ST got to play in front of a national audience since only 1,054 bothered to show up, guess that kept the attendance down xlolx

You know what Andy wants huh ? When you talked to him did he show you his ring ?

R.A.
November 12th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I think SC State is a legit team, but I apply the Boise State principle when it comes to giving them a chance. It's unfair to leave them out of the big one, but it's even more unfair to put them in over 8-3 and some 7-4 teams that play in much better conferences. The MEAC has been drubbed by every good FCS OOC opponent they have had, and FAMU lost to the worst OVC team. Not to mention the MEAC hasn't had strong showings in the playoffs lately.

I feel for SC State...I really do. I wish they'd ditch the MEAC and get in the SoCon, but I just don't think they deserve an at-large.

If two of the three SoCon teams in South Carolina, consistently reject offers to play SC State, why do you think the rest of the SoCon would be in favor of having the Bulldogs in their conference??

aust42
November 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM
We had her for our game against Ed Waters. I'm all for female referees. But they gotta get the calls right and appear to be organized.

IMO, Football is a man's sport and should be ref'd by men. Call me a male chav pig but if women want to ref men's football then put them in a bikini and short shorts. xsmileyclapx

It just sound right hearing men grunting, pad's smacking, announcers noting a flag on the play and then some high pitched woman's voice calling "holding, #75, 15 yard penalty."

MacThor
November 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
You appear to be well connected at Richmond... perhaps you should play SC State next year.

Not particularly. London made a much greater outreach effort to football alums than Latrell has to date...but even then I'm just an alum and a fan.

But why would Richmond want to schedule SC State? Did you see the visiting stands on TV last night? Elon and Coastal Carolina actually travelled well and put some butts in the visitors' sections.

heath
November 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
That game last night did not do the MEAC any favors when talking strength of conferences or schedules. Good thing they have the AQ or that league would be in the same spot as the PFL is now. The only conclusion you can come to after watching the game is,SC State is a really good MEAC team, probably not a top 20 team.

danefan
November 12th, 2010, 01:27 PM
IMO, Football is a man's sport and should be ref'd by men. Call me a male chav pig but if women want to ref men's football then put them in a bikini and short shorts. xsmileyclapx

It just sound right hearing men grunting, pad's smacking, announcers noting a flag on the play and then some high pitched woman's voice calling "holding, #75, 15 yard penalty."

I'm with you. It was almost uncomfortable to watch.

WMTribe90
November 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM
The game was about what I expected. SCST looked like a bubble team at best and they should be ranked no higher than 20 IMO, which would put them just outside the bubble looking in. I don't think this version of SCST is on par with the SCST teams that played with the Gamecocks and ASU in recent years. Any team from one of the "power" conferences with 7 wins and at least one of a ranked opponent should receive an at-large before SCST (i.e., GSU, UNH, UR, UMass).

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM
The game was about what I expected. SCST looked like a bubble team at best and they should be ranked no higher than 20 IMO, which would put them just outside the bubble looking in. I don't think this version of SCST is on par with the SCST teams that played with the Gamecocks and ASU in recent years. Any team from one of the "power" conferences with 7 wins and at least one of a ranked opponent should receive an at-large before SCST (i.e., GSU, UNH, UR, UMass).

I don't think those are the teams that SCSU will be compared to anyway. Any one of those listed deserve an at-large before the Bulldogs.

bkrownd
November 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM

xthumbsdownx

ejjones
November 12th, 2010, 09:04 PM

I've followed SCSU for sometime now; I wouldn't say that this team is not better than previous year's teams. Just like every team, you have a different set of personnel you have to groom. SCSU defense is better that last's year's defense (held ASU to ~10pts); however, the offense is still a work in progress after graduating the top 3 WR(s), and the conference's all time leading rusher. A drop off would be expected.

R.A.
November 17th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I've followed SCSU for sometime now; I wouldn't say that this team is not better than previous year's teams. Just like every team, you have a different set of personnel you have to groom. SCSU defense is better that last's year's defense (held ASU to ~10pts); however, the offense is still a work in progress after graduating the top 3 WR(s), and the conference's all time leading rusher. A drop off would be expected.

The Bulldogs are still good. They're a playoff team. They proved that they're a playoff squad.

MacThor
November 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM
The Bulldogs are still good. They're a playoff team. They proved that they're a playoff squad.

By beating which top 25 team in the past 5 years?

aust42
November 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
xthumbsdownx

How about naked women refs? Ummmm Ummmmm

Mr. C
November 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Who said I referring just to Morgan St ? When I stopped watching SC St had 4 personal fouls.

Sorry if I said something wrong, I should have realized that since you are obviously a MEAC homer this is what you are use to seeing on a weekly basis. The late hits, sloppy play, indecisive officials, people told to leave the stadium. This I guess is the norm for you.

And having someone on the sidelines told to leave the field, please tell me when (other than a MEAC game) you have ever seen this ?

Glad SC ST got to play in front of a national audience since only 1,054 bothered to show up, guess that kept the attendance down xlolx

You know what Andy wants huh ? When you talked to him did he show you his ring ?

I've been called a lot of things, but being called a MEAC homer is one of the funniest things I've eve been called. I see more Villanova games than any other team in FCS. And yes, I talk to Andy on a regular basis (shared lunch with him today as a matter of fact) and I have indeed seen his ring.

R.A.
November 17th, 2010, 10:22 PM
By beating which top 25 team in the past 5 years?

They knocked off Hampton in 2006 when Hampton was undefeated. The only schools Hampton lost to that year was SC State 13-6 in the regular season, and New Hampshire 41-38 in the playoffs.

Also, what was Grambling ranked a few years ago when SC State knocked them off in the MEAC/ SWAC Challenge??

The argument you make is valid, but perhaps should be specific to Non- HBCU out of conference ranked teams.

R.A.
November 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM

lol... 35-20, with the score actually being 28-20 with a little over a minute left in the ball game... my Bison gave the Wildcats all that they could handle.

I'm proud of my alma mater, the Howard Bison, for playing as tough as they did with the #7 team in the entire country.