PDA

View Full Version : ShowingBlitz.com's Top 20 QB Recruits

JMU Duke Dog
February 13th, 2006, 03:07 PM
http://www.showingblitz.com/2006topqbs.html

3. Drew Dudzik; 6'1" 205; Clifton, VA (Centreville); James Madison :hyped:

colgate13
February 13th, 2006, 03:15 PM
The Ivys land 3 good QBs. Not unusual - they can always get some good talent. Now, it's the rest of the team that I'll hold out on!

fuEMO
February 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I just want to say thanks Rob, for taking the time to do this. I know this is subjective. But it gives us all something to be passionate and daydream about.

2005 #3 QB Jordan Sorrells
2006 #15 QB Cody Worley

I can live with that.

I know if Rob would have had the time to finish 05. RJ Webb would be #1 at the ATH position. :)

blur2005
February 13th, 2006, 04:12 PM
http://www.showingblitz.com/2006topqbs.html

3. Drew Dudzik; 6'1" 205; Clifton, VA (Centreville); James Madison :hyped:
Hopefully he'll be as good as advertised.

DTSpider
February 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Rob does a good service. I like that he has a top 5, then top 20 and some honorable mentions. Given the crapshoot that is 1AA recruiting, listing this many players give you a feel for the classes. Can you realistically tell the difference between the #6 and number #16, probably not. But you can at least figure out that both are good players should be people to watch for. I also like that Rob doesn't just have players from Montana, UD & JMU ranked in the top of each category. He appears to really spread the wealth and be objective despite an obvious knowledge bias of UD & A10 football (meant as a compliment). Thanks Rob for your efforts and good luck getting through all the positions this year.

youwouldno
February 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Worley is too low IMO but I agree it's great Rob does the rankings.

I also would have put Rasmussen & Doolittle higher. They and Worley were rated higher by ESPN, scout.com, Rivals, and were more highly recruited than Kirby, Edwards, Johnson, Fiegler, Selle, Dudzik, and Kelleher, at least. Scout.com isn't even sold on Kelleher staying at QB, Rivals has him a 4.9 (not great), and ESPN 5.2 (not great).

Not that there is an authoritative source on prospect evaluation, but just for fun, here are ESPN's Scouts, Inc. ratings of Rob's listed QBs

The scale is 4-8.5 I believe, with 3.0 indicating the player wasn't scouted but is thought to be a D-I prospect. 1.0 means not scouted and not considered a D-IA prospect. In parenthesis is their national rank at the position, according to the same source.

1. Matt Kelleher, Yale: 5.2 (143)
2. Herb Bynes, Hampton: 6.3 (76)
3. Drew Dudzik, James Madison: 5.4 (135)
4. Sean Scanlon, Delaware: 3.0 (NR)
5. K.J. Black, Western Kentucky: 3.0 (NR)
6. Andrew Selle, Montana: 1.0 (NR)
7. Joei Fiegler, Chattanooga: 5.9 (104)
8. Greg Denham, UC Davis: not listed
9. Matt Johnson, Bethune-Cookman: not listed
10. Armanti Edwards, Appalachian St.: 3.0 (NR)
11. R.J. Toman, New Hampshire: not listed
12. Chris Dieker, Southern Illinois: not listed
13. Donny Kirby, Elon: 1.0 (NR)
14. Max Heiges, Dartmouth: not listed
15. Cody Worley, Furman: 6.3 (80)
16. Dan Kopolovich, Princeton: not listed
17. Travis Gowan, Portland St.: not listed
18. Jordan Rasmussen, Montana St.: 5.5 (124)
19. Brad Schlosser, SELA: 1.0 (NR)
20. Derek Miller, Missouri St.: 5.7 (114)

Zack Chauvin, Nicholls St.: 1.0 (NR)
Stan Doolittle, Gardner-Webb: 6.4 (71)
Jason Harris, Eastern Washington: not listed
Corey Jeske, South Dakota St.: not listed
Josh Jones, Lafayette: 1.0 (NR)
Jordan Shoop, Richmond: 3.0 (NR)
Eugene Smith, Florida A&M: 1.0 (NR)

What's a prospect list without argument, anyway? Here's how I would do my top 10:

1. Herb Bynes, Hampton
2. Greg Denham, UC Davis
3. Cody Worley, Furman
4. Jordan Rasmussen, Montana St.
5. Drew Dudzik, JMU
6. Stan Doolittle, G-W
7. KJ Black, WKU
8. Joei Fiegler, UTC
9. Derek Miller, Missouri St.
10. Sean Scanlon, UD

aggie6thman
February 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Denham is going to be ridiculously good after he learns Coach Biggs's offensive strategy. He is a great catch for the Ags. Look for him to turn some heads in a couple of years! :beerchug:

The Fan
February 13th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Denham is listed as the #59 QB by Scout. ESPN/Lemming doesn't do a great job carrying over from the Scout database and even has several players listed twice. Denham was also listed the #36 pro-style qb in the nation per Rivals before his commit to the I-AA level.

Interestingly, Chandler Clemmons, another top 40 rivals QB remains available (no grade issues).

89rabbit
February 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM
#15 last year with Ryan Crawford and a HM this season with Corey Jeske feeling pretty good about the QB in the future. :nod:

DuckDuckGriz
February 13th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I noticed that James Madison has a TE signee named Michael Bolton :eyebrow:

JMU Duke Dog
February 13th, 2006, 08:43 PM

:confused: You sure it was us?

Here is our 2006 recruiting class: http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stories/2_3706.asp?TeamID=2

colgate13
February 13th, 2006, 09:18 PM

I believe that is Fordham.

blackfordpu
February 13th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Only one SLC team on that whole list? Man, we really slacked this season.

McNeese75
February 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM

We did not sign (or recruit) a QB this year.

Retro
February 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I noticed that James Madison has a TE signee named Michael Bolton

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/bolton/bolton2.jpg

blueballs
February 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Don't tell anybody but the state of Georgia career passing yardage leader isn't mentioned in the top 20 QB signees.

slostang
February 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Interestingly, Chandler Clemmons, another top 40 rivals QB remains available (no grade issues).
I know that Sac State and Cal Poly were mentioned as possibilities. Poly did sign QB Mike Anderson from Los Osos HS. 6'2" 180 who threw for 2,001 yards with 16 TDs and ran for 424 yards and four TDs. They also signed QB/DB Scottie Cordier from San Leandro HS. He is 5'9" 170 who threw for 1,592 yards with 22 TDs and ran for 642 yards with 8 TDs.

JMU Duke Dog
February 14th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Don't tell anybody but the state of Georgia career passing yardage leader isn't mentioned in the top 20 QB signees.

:eyebrow: Who is he and where did he end up going?

Lionsrking
February 14th, 2006, 01:03 AM

The young man we signed (Bradd Schlosser, the 19th rated QB) might not win many eyeball tests but I'd be willing to bet he has as good a college career as anybody on that list. He had a great junior and senior year running the Air Raid offense in Georgia (one year under Dennis Roland) and will have a bevy of super talented WRs to throw to over the next few years. Not to mention a healthy stable of RBs to hand the ball off to.

Tribe4SF
February 14th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Kelleher was an interesting choice at #1. He's pretty much strictly a shotgun passer, who lacks drop and footwork fundamentals, and is not very athletic. Reportedly a good, but not great, arm. I don't think he had many offers.

Scanlon looks like a homer choice at #4, but I think he's a better catch than Kelleher.

Interesting that Rob will evidently list Keith McPherson (and not Herb Bynes) as an athlete. I'll wager the JMU folks will give him a chance to compete with Dudzik. Bynes looks like another Princeton Shepherd (current Hampton QB), with a slow, windup motion, and lacking accuracy. His athleticism got him several I-A offers.

Hope Rob can make it through all the positions this year. Fun for discussion.

DemiGS
February 14th, 2006, 01:57 AM
:eyebrow: Who is he and where did he end up going?

ZACH STANFORD
"Played baseball last fall at South Georgia College… transferred to Georgia Southern at the semester break and will have four years of eligibility remaining… First Team All-State Class AA by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution… received All-State and All-Region as a junior and senior… set a Georgia High School career record throwing for 9,062 yards during his stellar four-year career… earned his first start at quarterback during his freshman year and started the rest of his career… team advanced to the state semifinals his first two years and quarterfinals his junior season... senior year Metter HS moved up to Class AA... earned First Team All-State Class A during his sophomore and junior season... compiled a 34-10 record as Metter's starting quarterback... played for coach Shane Dular during his junior and senior seasons... son of Ricky and Debra Stanford."

Tribe4SF
February 14th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

That would be Zach Stanford. He's not listed because he's a transfer. Played baseball last fall at South Georgia College. 9,000 career passing yards. His signing is clear evidence of the coming change at GSU, as he is not fast.

catbob
February 14th, 2006, 02:33 AM
The all-time passing leader in the history of Montana isn't listed either, Mark Desin - but he should be under ATH I would hope. Threw for 9005 yards and 65 TDs in high school (yup, better than either of the Leafs or Dave Dickenson).

youwouldno
February 14th, 2006, 09:39 AM
If Stanford was so good at football, he wouldn't have played baseball for a year. GSU wanted Cody Worley but, unluckily for them, his HS coach was Hal Lamb... brother of Bobby Lamb.

grizband
February 14th, 2006, 09:54 AM
The all-time passing leader in the history of Montana isn't listed either, Mark Desin - but he should be under ATH I would hope. Threw for 9005 yards and 65 TDs in high school (yup, better than either of the Leafs or Dave Dickenson).
That number is good enough to place him 32nd all the all-time list for national passing yards. IF you had in his rushing yards, I think he is around 10,500-11,000 total yards. He may not be big enough to play QB, (we will see that soon), but he will be a great athlete.

Ronbo
February 14th, 2006, 10:30 AM
We have a couple Montana state all time leaders also.

2005 recruiting class.

Brandon Utterback - All time leading rusher. 4679 yards. Also a 4 year starter at linebacker. 1st team All State as a Junior and Senior..

2006 recruiting class.

Tony Kazmierczak - All time leading receiver. 208 receptions, 3726 yards, 43 TD's. 3 year team captain, 3 time team MVP. 1st team All State as a Soph., Junior, and Senior.

Check this single season out.

Transfer Reggie Bradshaw - 3043 yards rushing and 37 Td's his senior year in HS. Griz fans are saying we'll have a Thunder and Lightning backfield with Lex Hilliard and Reggie Bradshaw.

grizband
February 14th, 2006, 10:54 AM
We have a couple Montana state all time leaders also.

2005 recruiting class.

Brandon Utterback - All time leading rusher. 4679 yards. Also a 4 year starter at linebacker. 1st team All State as a Junior and Senior..

2006 recruiting class.

Tony Kazmierczak - All time leading receiver. 208 receptions, 3726 yards, 43 TD's. 3 year team captain, 3 time team MVP. 1st team All State as a Soph., Junior, and Senior.

Check this single season out.

Transfer Reggie Bradshaw - 3043 yards rushing and 37 Td's his senior year in HS. Griz fans are saying we'll have a Thunder and Lightning backfield with Lex Hilliard and Reggie Bradshaw.
Ronbo,
Utterback is no longer the leader here. Chase Reynolds, who we also got, is now the current leader, with over 5000 career rushing yards.
Interesting though, the all-time leading passer, rusher, and receiver in Montana all graduated in the same year, and we got two out of the three. I like that!

Ronbo
February 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Ronbo,
Utterback is no longer the leader here. Chase Reynolds, who we also got, is now the current leader, with over 5000 career rushing yards.
Interesting though, the all-time leading passer, rusher, and receiver in Montana all graduated in the same year, and we got two out of the three. I like that!

Oh yeah, I see that now.

Chase Reynolds started 44 HS games and rushed for 5261 yards, scored 114 TD's. That's almost a 120 yard average and 2.59 TD's per game over 44 games. Damn!

grizband
February 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah, I see that now.

Chase Reynolds started 44 HS games and rushed for 5261 yards, scored 114 TD's. That's almost a 120 yard average and 2.59 TD's per game over 44 games. Damn!
Crazy thing is, I think this year he averaged somewhere betwen 8-10 yards per carry. He was clearly heads above his competition.

lucchesicourt
February 14th, 2006, 11:36 AM
UCD not only signed Denham as a QB, but last year they signed two who were listed as great prospects, one was Clayton Tunney (I believe was a top ten QB also), and Ryan Smith got honorable mention. Looks like the Ags will be okay at QB for another 5 years at least.

blueballs
February 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
If Stanford was so good at football...

... I guess we'll see won't we?

Of course the same thing could be said for Drew Hensen, John Elway, John Lynch, Quincy Carter, Chris Weinke, Danny Ainge (hoops)... just to name a few.

FU97
February 14th, 2006, 12:55 PM
... I guess we'll see won't we?

Of course the same thing could be said for Drew Hensen, John Elway, John Lynch, Quincy Carter, Chris Weinke, Danny Ainge (hoops)... just to name a few.

The difference between all those you mentioned and Stanford is ALL those guys were also highly recruited for football. And its not like he went to a huge baseball powerhouse like LSU, Miami, or into the MLB draft. He went to South Georgia College to play baseball.

blueballs
February 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
The difference between all those you mentioned and Stanford is ALL those guys were also highly recruited for football. And its not like he went to a huge baseball powerhouse like LSU, Miami, or into the MLB draft. He went to South Georgia College to play baseball.

Like I said before, I guess we'll see, won't we?

youwouldno
February 14th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Like I said before, I guess we'll see, won't we?

Maybe not, at least for a while. GSU seems to have some options at QB. Davis is still around, isn't he? Also, last year GSU got a LB, Bussey I think was his name, who was a pretty good QB prospect as well. Maybe they could give him a try in Spring. Smiley is a better thrower than Foster so in the right offense he might be OK.

SochorField
February 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Post-Season West Position rankings: The QBs
Greg Biggins
StudentSportsFootball.com Recruiting Analyst
The Top 10:

Pre-season ranking is in parentheses:
1. (1) Jake Locker, 6-2, 210 Ferndale (Wash.)- Washington: Did nothing to lose his spot as the N.1 guy on our board. A top five QB nationally in our eyes.
2. (2) Kevin Riley, 6-1, 195 Beaverton (Ore.)- Cal: The prototype Jeff Tedford quarterback, strong armed, smart and mobile.
3. (3) Cody Hawkins, 5-11, 180 Boise (Idaho) Bishop Kelly- Colorado: Was voted one of the top five QBs at the Elite 11 by the six college counselors.
4. (4) Garrett Green, 6-2, 190 Sherman Oaks (Calif.) Notre Dame- USC: Great fit at SC, could be a solid backup or play another position depending on need.
5. (5) Michael Herrick, 6-1, 175 Valencia (Calif.)- Mississippi: Finished his career as one of the most prolific QBs in state history.
6. (12) Nathan Costa, 6-0, 195 Hilmar (Calif.)- Oregon- Had a huge senior season and showed he should be mentioned among the top QBs in the region.
7. (10) Mike Coughlin, 6-4, 201 San Diego (Calif.) Mira Mesa- Boise State: Love him more every time we see him. Had an incredible 25-3 touchdown to interception ration.
8. (6) Tyler Lyon, 6-5, 215 Newhall (Calif.) Hart- Arizona: Great size and arm strength and can get the ball down the field.
9. (9) James Lark, 6-2, 200 St. George (Utah) Pine View- BYU: Has good size, is very athletic and put up monster career numbers.
10.Colin Kaepernick, 6-4, 175 Turlock (Calif.) Pitman- Nevada: The Wolfpack got a steal here as Kaepernick has as much upside as any QB in the state.
11. (NR) Danny Sullivan, 6-4, 205 Los Gatos (Calif.)- Arizona State
12. (7) Alex Cate, 6-0, 185 Salt lake City (Utah) Cottonwood- Oklahoma State
13. (11) Greg Denham, 6-2, 200 Auburn (Calif.) Placer- UC Davis
14. (14) Cody Kempt, 6-2, 200 Portland (Ore.) Westview- Oregon
15. (NR) Riley Nelson, 6-0, 185 Logan (Utah)- Utah State
16. (16) Dontae Perez, 6-0, 175 San Jose (Calif.) Valley Christian- San Jose State
17. (NR) Emmanuel Lewis, 6-1, 177 Tulare (Calif.)- Ball State
18. (17) R.J. Toman, 6-0, 195 Mission Viejo (Calif.)- New Hampshire
19. (13) Chandler Clemons, 6-0, 190 El Dorado Hills (Calif.) Oak Ridge
20. (19) Max Heiges, 6-3, 205 Novato (Calif.)- Dartmouth

According to these guys UC Davis' Grag Denham is the best I-AA QB recruit in the West! (for what thats worth) :)

blackfordpu
February 16th, 2006, 04:20 PM
We did not sign (or recruit) a QB this year.

Well, neither did we. Of course we are set at that postion for a while. :nod: