PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Collegiate Football League completes first season !

Collegefootballfan
November 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
The Yankee collegiate football league has completed its first season.
A club football league that includes Boston University, University of Vermont,
Clarkson University, Maine and two schools in CT and a team in the Bronx.
It is now having its playoffs
According to the NY Times there are plans to add additional teams next year.
They include teams from Northeastern, Fairfield, Iona, Hoffstra and a few more.
Everyone in the league should be congradulated for a great job.
An hope it gives inspiration to more schools to start there own programs.
If history repeats itself club teams could start the ball rolling to get some
schools back to the varsity level.
So its time to get the word out and support these programs not only in word
but in deed. If you are an alumni reach out to the current team and see what
u can do to help, money is nice but short of that talk it up to your fellow
alums , write letters of support to the alumni magazines talking up the
program. Plan on going to a game next season.
In short make an effort to help out, so these teams survive.
Become active. Get involved. Take Action

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Top team remains in the south though...

http://www.ncfafootball.org/Default.aspx

Jackman
November 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM
The Yankee collegiate football league has completed its first season.
A club football league that includes Boston University, University of Vermont,
Clarkson University, Maine and two schools in CT and a team in the Bronx.
It is now having its playoffs
According to the NY Times there are plans to add additional teams next year.
They include teams from Northeastern, Fairfield, Iona, Hofstra and a few more.

It's like the League of Legendary Quitters.

No offense to the kids actually playing on these teams. They're not the quitters. Total respect for them. Just don't understand why they didn't choose to attend a northeast university that actually supports the sport they care about so much. BU, NU and the rest all actively work to diminish, belittle and undermine college football in the northeast. If you don't agree with them, don't pay them $50,000 a year and carry their flag for them. They don't deserve students like these.

Redhawk2010
November 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM

No offense to the kids actually playing on these teams. They're not the quitters. Total respect for them. Just don't understand why they didn't choose to attend a northeast university that actually supports the sport they care about so much. BU, NU and the rest all actively work to diminish, belittle and undermine college football in the northeast. If you don't agree with them, don't pay them $50,000 a year and carry their flag for them. They don't deserve students like these.

These teams could also be upperclassmen who chose to stay in order to finish their degrees. No point in throwing that away.. I mean that is the point of college, right?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Serious Rep Points. All I can hope is that Uncle Buck come up with a mocked-up graphic of John Silber, Joseph Aoun, and Stuart Rabinowitz with the banner reading below: "The League of Legendary Quitters". Maybe throw Fairfield's president and Siena's in there, too.

Old Cage
November 9th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Redhawk - We measure how long it has been since BU and Vermont gave it up in decades. If any players are still there getting their degree, they are on Medicare.

Dane96
November 9th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Serious Rep Points. All I can hope is that Uncle Buck come up with a mocked-up graphic of John Silber, Joseph Aoun, and Stuart Rabinowitz with the banner reading below: "The League of Legendary Quitters". Maybe throw Fairfield's president and Siena's in there, too.

HAHA...Awesome.

The Siena thing though, was sort of justified. Heritage Park was thought to be torn down in the coming years (in fact, I am not sure if they have done this yet). And they had no support. The way they did it was bush, however.

henfan
November 9th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Rather than being a league to springboard teams from the club level to D-I, the YCFL seems more like an alternative league for schools who aren't likely to revive the sport. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing for FB in NE, IMO.

I would certainly prefer that D-I schools sponsor FB but this is the next best option for the students who want the option playing FB while attending school. It's better for the students than no FB at all.

Looks like UMaine is already making the transition to club FB in the Yankee.xsmiley_wix

Jackman
November 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Let me just say, I have no problem with that kid up in Vermont who started that club team to try to revive the sport in his state. Regional pride is great, the state of Vermont should have at least one team that can join in with the rest of us, and everyone up there who had a hand in dropping football left decades ago. I wish the Catamounts nothing but the best in trying to gain varsity status.

But having thought about it a bit more, I have a real bone to pick with the BU, Northeastern, Hofstra and Iona clubs, ESPECIALLY if these are being formed by ex-players from the dropped teams. You're telling me that these players who fumed about the lies and betrayal by their universities before their sports were dropped are going to pay out of their own pocket to wear those same school colors and represent those same schools at the club level? When you've got people like Northeastern's president saying that they're going to actively help other universities drop their football programs (http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2010/10/03/yes_theres_life_after_football/) and do the exact same thing to their players and fans that was done to you, you're going to put a big black and red "N" on your helmet? That to me is disgusting. If you don't have it in you to transfer to a place like Vermont or Bryant where you can do some good at a place that's trying to build something instead of tear others down, at least have the decency not to name your clubs after the universities which betrayed you. It's club football, you can call yourselves the "Silber Staters" or "Hempstead Dutchmen" or "Aoun Fightin' Vowels". Because after everything that has been said and done, there is no way varsity football is coming back under their current administrations (or ever, in BU's case), and all those students will ever be used for by their universities is an opportunity to take potshots at college football played elsewhere. That they should receive any positive press in the New York Times or anywhere else regarding football is offensive, and I've lost any sympathy for the players if they contribute to this. I need feel-good stories about BU football like I need a flaming bag of crap left on my porch.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM
That they should receive any positive press in the New York Times or anywhere else regarding football is offensive, and I've lost any sympathy for the players if they contribute to this. I need feel-good stories about BU football like I need a flaming bag of crap left on my porch.

You do have a very legitimate point. It's being sent up there as if club football is being held up there as "the purest, most desired, HIGHEST LEVEL" of acceptable college football in posh Northeast institutions. And where I come from, that also means that they want their teams (and, by extension, their campuses) to be less diverse, because the kids that would come to scholarship on a whole or partial football scholarship are more likely to be of less means and/or more white.

The good thing is: club football is Exhibit A against the falsehood that "kids in Northeast universities simply aren't interested in football at any level." That's patently not true, even at a school like Boston University that has been the center of the storm. Believe me, it can be used as a stick to show that the Silbers of the world are "filled with flaming crap". I know, because I actively do so.

Collegefootballfan
November 9th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Wow where did all that passion come from. Time to take a chill pill.
First the club league is all about the joy of playing football for your school.
Regardless of how that school has treated the varsity teams .
The students don't care about what has happened in the past
All they want to do is play.
Presidents come and go.
Football as noted is a good part of the college experience.
An being on a club team allows them to do just that.
As for all the stuff that has happened in the past .
Its in the past.
College football even on the club level is the sport that just won't die.
Just think of as with each new program starting up its just a constant reminder
to those presidents that there were wrong about dropping it.
An there bosses the students want it back.
Another point about club teams is that they do not have to obey NCAA
rules so in theory the could become very lucrative programs and not having
to share any money with the colleges they represent.
Think about that one.
A successful club team making cash and the school gets nothing
How cool would that be.
Just a thought
Pay back would be a successful club program rubbing it into the presidents
of NU.Bu and Hoffstra. Reminding them that no matter how they try the sport
just doesn't go away.