PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga on the rise yet?

Eagle_77
May 10th, 2005, 09:30 AM
We all are aware of Chattanooga's last couple of classes and have been expecting to see something out of this team. So far we have not seen where this team is making any major improvements.

With that being said many think this may be the year the Mocs finally break out. After two years for these recruits to develop, these guys should be ready. Also ShowingBlitz.com has them receiving 5 1-A transfers. Four of the five are on defense which is a major spot they need help and all five are SR's which could bring in some leadership. ShowingBlitz also has two other defensive players considering transfering to the Mocs.

This team seems to have the tools and mix of young talented players and older experienced players to be a very solid team. The new turf could also help the Mocs being that they take so much advantage of the passing game and speed.

I personally think this is the Mocs year to make some moves. I dont think they will compete for the conference title but I believe they will be much improved and can pull some big upsets in the confernce. What do you guys think?

Tod
May 10th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Do you believe they're worthy of top 25 consideration, say 25 or 24?

(yes, this is how I'm doing my homework :D ).

GannonFan
May 10th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Call me negative, call me cynical, whatever, I still don't seeing TN-Chatt doing much of anything this year. Sure, they'll come close to a big upset or, like last year, catch a team like App State napping, but for every one of these games they'll be stifled by an Elon or Liberty. I'm safely keeping TN-Chatt out of my Top 25 to start the year.

eaglefan452
May 10th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Do you believe they're worthy of top 25 consideration, say 25 or 24?

Not a chance. This isn't intended as smack, but just my opinion. To even sniff the top 25, you have to have be at least in the top 3 or 4 teams in your conference (especially a supposedly "top-heavy" SoCon), and I don't see them being that good this year.

chattanoogamocs
May 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
First let me say that I simply schocked (mocking) that GannonFan would say something negative about Chattanooga! Oh wait, that is all GannonFan has ever done...I still wonder why a Delaware fan would even care so much to comment about about a second tier Southern school, but I guess he needs something to whip, so it might as well be us. ;)

:deadhorse

But to answer the question(s), I do think the Mocs will be much improved...for those not paying attention (which many didn't because they were too busy talking about the nearly 50 points a game they gave up :eek: ) the Mocs offense was good enough to compete with about 9 of the 11 teams the played last year, they just had zero defense. I really think that will be addressed quite a bit this season.

Do I think they will be top 25 or worthy of top 25 consideration at the beginning of the season? No. They will be better, but I don't think they are worthy at this point of pre-season consideration, nor do I think they will have enough wins at the end to be ranked (optimistically 7, hopeful 6, realistic 5). I think 2006 is when you will see the difference (need our QB to really get settled in and the DC thru a full season to get comfortable with the new players).

But hey..just happy to see the Mocs are worthy of a little talk on the boards :)

Eagle_77
May 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I wouldnt put them in the top 25 either. I do not see them doing any better than 6-5 or to have a very good season at 7-4. Realistically I believe they can expect 5-6. This is a great improvement from 2-9. I think this team is still a couple years away from making any real noise but I think they have the skills to move from bottom feeder to middle of the pack this year.

Mr. C
May 11th, 2005, 12:59 AM
I've been saying for some time that Chattanooga will make its move this season. I am picking the Mocs to finish fourth in the SoCon behind Furman, Georgia Southern and App State. This will mark the first year that Rodney Allison's recruits will be upperclassmen (experience is always important in the SoCon) and the Mocs will be fortifed by some good I-A transfers. They have a new defensive coordinator, who is well-respected and has had a lot of success in the SoCon. Allison is one of the top young coaches around in my opinion and things will only get better for UTC with his no-nonsense approach and organizational skills. Now if they can just get Moc fans excited about coming out to games.

polsongrizz
May 11th, 2005, 04:18 AM
I don't see them breaking the top 25 period this yr.

JaxSinfonian
May 11th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I hope they improve enough to make a game of it on Sept. 10, but not enough to win. :D

c'mocs, think many of your fellow fans will make the two-hour trip to J'ville this fall? Hope to see a lot of y'all down here.

GannonFan
May 11th, 2005, 09:04 AM
First let me say that I simply schocked (mocking) that GannonFan would say something negative about Chattanooga! Oh wait, that is all GannonFan has ever done...I still wonder why a Delaware fan would even care so much to comment about about a second tier Southern school, but I guess he needs something to whip, so it might as well be us. ;)

:deadhorse

But hey..just happy to see the Mocs are worthy of a little talk on the boards :)

Oh come on, you know you love it that at least somebody bothers to talk about the Mocs. And for the record, I also talk negatively about nova as well but I don't see their fans crying about it. I'm a IAA fan so I think I'm allowed, especially on a IAA board, to comment about things other than UD - I'm not that provincial. As it stands, I just can't get hyped about a Chattanooga program that just gave up, on average, more than 48 points...a game... last year and gave up close to 300 yards rushing...a game...last year. I'd welcome a surprise season where the Mocs break .500, but the question on the thread was whether they're on the rise and, IMO, not enough to be discernible. Sorry to hurt your feelings on the message board but it is just an opinion.

chattanoogamocs
May 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM
HAHA...your too easy Gannon.

I guess the winking icon and the dead horse pic went over your head...btw, those denote humor and sarcasm...do they not have that where you are from?

...don't get all wound up because I gave you a hard time for giving my team (once again) a hard time.

;) <---- wink denoting humor and sarcasm, i.e. not to be taken seriously

Jax, the Mocs fans always travel relatively well for games (I use the term relative to an under .500 team) that are close to home. We had a couple hunderd at Samford a couple of years back and nearly the same out at Memphis last year...I can't imagine it wouldn't be the same for Jax since it a pretty short drive...and it will be the only road game the Mocs play within about 6 hours of Chattanooga this season.

GannonFan
May 11th, 2005, 11:40 AM
HAHA...your too easy Gannon.

I guess the winking icon and the dead horse pic went over your head...btw, those denote humor and sarcasm...do they not have that where you are from?

...don't get all wound up because I gave you a hard time for giving my team (once again) a hard time.

;) <---- wink denoting humor and sarcasm, i.e. not to be taken seriously

psst, here's a secret, a response can be light and sarcastic even without the wink. Imagine that??? :)

Eagle_77
May 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Mocs,
How long does it take you guys to get to the Boro? It usually only takes a little over 5 hours when I make the trip up. And by the way I was trying to give your team some loving when I started this thread but I guess there isnt as much interst as I thought there would be.

chattanoogamocs
May 11th, 2005, 01:04 PM
I had Statesboro as about 6 hours (maybe I drive slow, I have only been down once...not much excitement in the Boro for a Moc fan :( )

Thanks for the thread Eagle...unfortunately, except for GannonFan ears perking up anytime the word Chattanooga is mentioned, there probably won't be much interest in the Mocs until they actually start beating someone good...and on a regular basis.

As for most of us Moc fans...we are so used to thinking it will get better, and then it doesn't, that no one will really be optimistic until it actually happens.

It is tough on the older fans...they still remember the days before the IAA split when they had the "small college" poll and the Mocs were in the top 10 pretty frequently...since the 80's we have been a poster child for a dysfunctional administration when it comes to football...how can a school typically be so good at so many sports...but can never quite seem to figure out football?

GannonFan
May 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Chattanooga? Did someone say Chattanooga? I've got a thing or two to say about 'dem Mocs....

Eagle_77
May 11th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Chattanooga? Did someone say Chattanooga? I've got a thing or two to say about 'dem Mocs....

:D This is pretty funny stuff!!!!

Well to be honest with you the only reason I had any interest in the Mocs before about 2 years ago was because they were on our schedule and you guys hosted the NC game.

Now in the past two years you guys have got some great transfers and had a couple of great incoming classes. This peaked my interest in your program and I have read several times on here people talking about how you guys were ranked so highly in your classes and talk about your transfers. I thought there would be a little more national attention with all this and also with you guys hosting the Championship.

I guess my girlfriend is right and that I am wrong sometimes.

OR maybe people just haven’t read this thread yet ;) Yeah that’s it! LMAO