PDA

View Full Version : JMU at App St. - a couple questions

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 13th, 2006, 02:41 PM
JMU faces a home opener vs. D2 Bloomsburg on 9/2/06

App St. faces NC State at the Wolf Pack's place on the same date.

One week later they face off in Boone, NC for a game that has "game of the year" potential...

So whose schedule favors them more? Does a D2 ill-prepare the Dukes squad for the road trip the following week or is it a good warm-up game? Does the tougher competition help App St., or will a tough I-A team literally bruise the Mountaineers with potential for injuries, etc.

Just a few questions considering the first game of both teams couldn't be any more different from each other.

henfan
February 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Doesn't matter. The Dukes are going to Boone. The Apps played two I-A games in '05 and they still managed to go undefeated at KBS. That's all you need to know. :nod:

MYTAPPY
February 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Seeing that the "Pack" lost thier best defensive player to the NFL and thier quarterback position is suspect, the game may be closer than people expect.
I think the experience at Carter-Finley will be good for us no matter the outcome.
And, we have won 18 straight at "The Rock"

DTSpider
February 13th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Benefit to ASU without question. Having seen NCSU will make JMU's speed easier to handle as it will be familar. JMU will not see the same talent against the D2. Also, nothing like a close loss to give the players a little extra motivation.

HiHiYikas
February 13th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Bill Simmons, an irritating regular schmoe-type who poses as a sportswirter for ESPN, has a rule that, unlike much of the banal-but-mildly-entertaining stuff he comes up with, is actually pretty wise:

Never bet against a streak.

Granted, it's not his rule originally, but he tends to pound it into the ground during fantasy football season. The 18-game winning streak at home, IMO, will be the most compelling reason to favor ASU come September 9. I don't think anything occurring in the previous week - besides, of course, major injuries to multiple key players - can outweigh the significance of the KBS win streak.

Prior-week scheduling is an interesting thought, though, and, if JMU is the team to end the streak, I imagine it will be questioned come September 10th.

Doesn't matter. The Dukes are going to Boone. The Apps played two I-A games in '05 and they still managed to go undefeated at KBS. That's all you need to know. :nod:
What's more impressive, I think, is that the streak survived an otherwise disappointing 6-5 season.

JMU Duke Dog
February 13th, 2006, 06:11 PM
JMU also lost at Coastal Carolina following a 56-0 victory over DII Lock Haven in the 2005 season. The Dukes will have to be at their sharpest heading into Boone in order to end the Mountaineers' impressive home winning streak.

It would be nice to beat Appalachian State especially if they win at NC State the previous week. That would make JMU look good!

HaveFunKc
February 13th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Others have already mentioned the 18 game winning streak...
Same for the warm-up game against IA, which will have huge in-state bragging rights that's not going to be an easy win as some would like to think for NC State (including this Mountaineer - App by at least 3!).

Let's not forget: it's the first home game for App since they won the National Championship. The Rock just might be a little bit packed by the ASU faithful. And Kidd Brewer is most definitely a HUGE plus when the house is packed!

Throw in the D-II warm-up for JMU and this has the makings for something special. My take on all this: advantage for the 2nd game of the season goes to ASU. JMU will have an great team in 2006, but the uphill battle at Kidd Brewer this early in the season will prove too much to overcome.

BingoPants
February 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Seeing that the "Pack" lost thier best defensive player to the NFL and thier quarterback position is suspect, the game may be closer than people expect.
I think the experience at Carter-Finley will be good for us no matter the outcome.
And, we have won 18 straight at "The Rock"

I don't think NC State is returning any starters on their D-Line. I think App has a very solid shot a winning this game.

GannonFan
February 14th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I don't think the warm-up games matter really, it's more of a question of the temperment of each team. JMU got lazy last year and lost the hunger they had winning the title in 2004. And on top of that they are still a fairly pedestrian offense - they love to run the ball almost to the exclusion of passing it (works well against small teams like Montana in 2004 - not as effective against bigger defenses) and want to win with the defense. Often that leaves you in close games - the defense was up to the challenge in 2004, but in 2005 they were a few plays short in all 4 losses. When you play close sometimes those things happen. ASU is a little of an unknown going into next year. Sure the ASU faithful will play down the loss of the best offensive player and the best defensive player, but those types of guys don't come around everyday. On top of that, will ASU lose some of the hunger now that they have a title in the trophy case? I think the game will be close because of JMU's style - a bounce here or there may decide this.

JMU Duke Dog
February 14th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I don't think the warm-up games matter really, it's more of a question of the temperment of each team. JMU got lazy last year and lost the hunger they had winning the title in 2004. And on top of that they are still a fairly pedestrian offense - they love to run the ball almost to the exclusion of passing it (works well against small teams like Montana in 2004 - not as effective against bigger defenses) and want to win with the defense. Often that leaves you in close games - the defense was up to the challenge in 2004, but in 2005 they were a few plays short in all 4 losses. When you play close sometimes those things happen. ASU is a little of an unknown going into next year. Sure the ASU faithful will play down the loss of the best offensive player and the best defensive player, but those types of guys don't come around everyday. On top of that, will ASU lose some of the hunger now that they have a title in the trophy case? I think the game will be close because of JMU's style - a bounce here or there may decide this.

Good analysis GannonFan. :nod:

HiHiYikas
February 14th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Sure the ASU faithful will play down the loss of the best offensive player and the best defensive player, but those types of guys don't come around everyday.
I'm going to guess you're referring to Jason Hunter? He's going to be sorely missed without a doubt, but the consensus tends to be that Marques Murrell, our 2005 Buck Buchannan award candidate, is our best defensive player. He has one more season left. I don't think this changes your analysis, though. It's still pretty solid.

I'm sure Murrell's job was made easier by having Hunter on the other end of the line, and Hunter certianly stepped into prominence during the playoffs.

boozeANDammo
February 14th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Benefit to ASU without question. Having seen NCSU will make JMU's speed easier to handle as it will be familar. JMU will not see the same talent against the D2. Also, nothing like a close loss to give the players a little extra motivation.

THIS is the reason I HATE playing D-II squads... gives a false sense of security and DOES NOT prepare you for the level of play that we'll typically see the week after. In this case, playing Bloomsburg will really hurt us early against ASU.

What I do like about our chances are the returning players we have, especially at QB. Justin is poised and having him back there as a senior will pay HUGH dividends in this game. Couple that with our returning backfield and not having Ritchie W. as OB for the 'neers (whew!)... should balance things out a bit. Tony LeZotte spearheading a talented defense should bolster the other side of the line of scrimmage for us as well. I like our chances in this game, but certainly expect us to come out flat early.

Close game anticipated and as Gannon mentioned, a bounce here or there will decide the game.

SoCon48
February 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
THIS is the reason I HATE playing D-II squads... gives a false sense of security and DOES NOT prepare you for the level of play that we'll typically see the week after. In this case, playing Bloomsburg will really hurt us early against ASU.

Close game anticipated and as Gannon mentioned, a bounce here or there will decide the game.
Six of one, half dozen of the other. If App gets beaten up badly (injury wise) by NC State, you guys will be the better. Too, you guys get to work the kinks out without risk of losing. We have to hit the field running and have our A game the whole 4 quarters.
At any rate, the match-up should be a great one when we meet on 9/9.

MYTAPPY
February 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Lets not forget a guy by the name of Kevin Richardson. The way he runs over opposing teams should may QB Trey Elder's job a lot easier. Trey has an arm as well.

AppGuy04
February 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I don't think NC State is returning any starters on their D-Line. I think App has a very solid shot a winning this game.

State lost both DE's, a LB, and a DB, all of which should be drafted, but do have accomplished guys to fill in

They have plenty of talent, the chemistry has been lacking on the offensive side of the ball, and they will be much more of a running team with Stone at QB

jmuroller
February 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Booze, I don't understand that thinking at all. How can playing Bloom U. hurt us, vs. playing someone like NC St. We get an extra week to prepare for ASU since we don't have to focus on Bloom U. that much and can start watching film earlier for them. Our starters will play 3 quarters or more and that means a good number of plays that will be available for film watching. We can correct mistakes and find out what we do good/bad. We will be forcing the action and tempo of the game.

Think of what ASU will be doing. They will get there brains beat in. They aren't playing Marshall, Temple, or even Duke. NC St. has great football players. From the opening kickoff they will have ASU outclassed and outmatched at every position. What can they get from watching that film? Don't tell me this better prepares them for our speed. You know how you prepare for speed? Get faster players.

There are negatives and positives on each side. But you can't tell me that playing a 1A like NC St. is an overwhelmingly advantage to a D2.

boozeANDammo
February 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Booze, I don't understand that thinking at all. How can playing Bloom U. hurt us, vs. playing someone like NC St. We get an extra week to prepare for ASU since we don't have to focus on Bloom U. that much and can start watching film earlier for them. Our starters will play 3 quarters or more and that means a good number of plays that will be available for film watching. We can correct mistakes and find out what we do good/bad. We will be forcing the action and tempo of the game.

Think of what ASU will be doing. They will get there brains beat in. They aren't playing Marshall, Temple, or even Duke. NC St. has great football players. From the opening kickoff they will have ASU outclassed and outmatched at every position. What can they get from watching that film? Don't tell me this better prepares them for our speed. You know how you prepare for speed? Get faster players.

There are negatives and positives on each side. But you can't tell me that playing a 1A like NC St. is an overwhelmingly advantage to a D2.

Wrong.

I've seen it time and time again... it's far better to play a 1-A then it is to play a D-II.

I've seen it several times with JMU alone. Play a Lock Haven, a Shippensburg, a Bloomsburg... whoever. We ALWAYS come out flat after playing a D-II. Always. It almost looks like the kids are shellshocked when playing the game immediately after a D-II squad. Granted, we'll adjust to it... though I stand behind my statement. We'll start off flat.

The injury argument is essentially bogus with regards to playing 1-A's. Hell, we lost 4 key players a few years ago to Lock Haven and only lost one at WVU and... we were hanging with the Mountaineeers until late into the third qtr. The typical problem is depth when playing 1-A teams, don't fool yourselves. Depth kills... especially in the trenches.

If you actually think Appy is going to get whipped by N.C. State this year, you may wanna reconsider that position. Just ask Tarheel fans about when the Palidans rolled into Chapel Hill back in 1999. :nod:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 14th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Great insights from everybody. It seems that most of us agree that the I-A matchup is a better game on your schedule compared to a D2. Also, I would predict Marshall to have a better season than NCSU, but enough about I-A ball...

For me the best thing going for JMU is the ability to run plays and test out the playbook a little without the fear of losing. That can add a lot to the timing and chemistry between the QB and his receivers, for example.

Also, I think there may be a little hangover from the NC celebration. It's no coincidence that a Delaware fan posted that issue with JMU last year. Hens fans know all to well what having that target on your back is like after winning it all.

Yet with the streak, it is impossible to bet against the home team in this case. On paper, this matchup is just about even. Playing in Boone adds at least 3 to the spread for the Mountaineers. The energy will be unreal for teh first quarter. But all will settle into the game by the 2nd quarter.

If for some reason this doesn't come down to the wire, I think we'll all be disappointed as football fans!

GO DUKES!

Dukester
February 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I'm just glad we get to play the best team in 1AA, even if we lose by a few scores. It will be nice to be there for their first home game after the NC. I'm sure it will be electric - good for them, bad for us. :(

MYTAPPY
February 14th, 2006, 04:03 PM
It will be a packed house.
First time the Dukes have been to Boone since 95 playoffs.

SoCon48
February 16th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Booze, .

That's what everyone said the weeks before App faced then #2 LSU in I-A last Fall.
Didn't happen. Too, it's not like this is the first time ASU has faced NCSU. If NC State puts a stomping on App, so will some other teams next Fall.
I'll make this wager, NCSU will not stomp App by a greater margin than they do some I-A next Fall.