PDA

View Full Version : Who are your school's biggest rivals?

BlueHenSinfonian
November 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
All of the talk about the unpredictability of rivalry games lately has led to me thinking about rivals in general. The FBS world is full of major rivalries, but in FCS I think a lot of us don't know many outside of our own conferences. Who do you consider to be your school's major rivals? Are there some that used to be bitter, but have faded with time, or others that are just starting? Are there one sided rivalries where one school considers it a big deal, but the other might not care?

To get things started, for Delaware, I'd say that most people from both programs would agree that Villanova is our biggest rivalry game. The series goes back a good bit, and both teams have been pretty competitive with each other in the past.

Aside from 'Nova, UMass seems to be the other established rivalry.

There was a budding one with Hofstra before they dropped their program, and now perhaps a new one starting out with JMU.

In the past Temple was a major rival, although since the subdivisional split they have not been willing to play us. Lehigh used to be a big rivalry in the past, but for whatever reason seems to have faded over time.

The media seems to want to establish Del State as a new rivalry game, but most UD fans don't really seem to care about the forthcoming series, and nothing short of a miracle in Dover is going to make it anything close to competitive.

NovaWildcat
November 7th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Delaware has been our biggest rival historically. The creation of 'Battle of the Blue' trophy indicates that.

Temple is becoming a great rivalry, with two excellent games the last two years. We're scheduled for two more games and I'd be shocked if this series wasn't renewed. Attendance has been strong all things considered, and I would imagine that would only improve (regardless if Nova moved up or not). Also the city has hyped the game quite a bit, adding to it. A lot of appearances from Mayor Nutter, Coach Golden/Talley.

I always considered Penn to be somewhat of a rivalry, although that has drastically been fading. Although some of the games are close, they haven't beaten us in forever. Just a few years ago this game was getting 20k+ at Franklin Field - but that trend is certainly going away.

Very interested to see the responses to this thread.

DOME
November 7th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I really don't like southern Illinois...

When BBall season gets in full swing I hate creighton...used to just dislike them but with the recent events involving the Mcdermotts iit is now full fledged hate.

But SIU is always a little more satisfying W if we can get one regardless of sport...

ODUsmitty
November 7th, 2010, 09:44 PM
For Old Dominion:

In Basketball, no-brainer, hands-down its VCU.

In Football, we think it will be JMU once CAA play starts, but recent events are making JMU appear more of a perennial homecoming opponent vice a true rival. WasteManagement and the Ticks can remain to fight over who picked the wrong vintage of wine for the night's entree......

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Howard, lot of history and they always play us tough...well used to anyways. People are hoping that Delaware becomes our rival but we are nowhere near close to that level...yet. ;)

I'm hoping for a revival of football at UMES (GO HAWKS!! xnodx), that would be a fun rivalry and would make a lot more sense. Delaware (the state) vs DC isn't really working...xeyebrowx

Another team that we play tough year in and year out is FAMU. Problem is that being the first game of the year the result usually defines either squad's season.

TheBisonator
November 7th, 2010, 09:54 PM
South Dakota State is our big rival. Play for the Dakota Marker Trophy every year. This Saturday is the game for it in Fargo.

Our rival used to be a law school located near the Canadian border up until 2003.

BJuice
November 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM
The answer to this question is threefold for the Charleston Southern University Buccaneers.

1. Liberty University is a big rival for us because (unfortunately, and with all due respect) they are the measuring stick for all athletic programs in the Big South Conference because of their facilities and history of success. I can't stand the Flames. It's not personal, just business. Any time we can beat Liberty in any sport, is always a great thing.

2. Coastal Carolina University is our closest and biggest rival in the conference. We flat out enjoy beating them in any sport. I flat out hate the teal and black.

3. We enjoy city rivalries with the College of Charleston and The Citadel. Despite CofC and The Citadel being in a different conference we are rivals and compete in MOST sports because of the fact that we are all NCAA Division I athletic programs in the same city. I say MOST because The Citadel refuses to get off their high horse and schedule us for a yearly or bi-yearly date football date. We've played them a few times and beat them once. Right now, The Citadel is nothing to brag about in football. The football rivaly could really be something special if they'd be willing to help make it grow and work.

NovaHater
November 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
To get things started, for Delaware, I'd say that most people from both programs would agree that Villanova is our biggest rivalry game. The series goes back a good bit, and both teams have been pretty competitive with each other in the past.

I thought it was West Chester ? xrotatehx xrotatehx Just kidding

I think times are changing on the UD/Nova matchup.

Getting Temple on the schedule, playing for the Mayors Cup against a city rival
in front of 30,000 plus every year will make this more of a rival game than the UD game. The fact that Nova plays Temple in basketball also helps.
I think more Nova fans (the few of us there are :)) will be looking forward to this game instead of the UD game even though UD is always the last game of the season and sometimes has conference/playoff considerations.

Seems to me the UD/JMU games bring out more bad blood than UD/Nova

Go...gate
November 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Cornell, Syracuse, Holy Cross, Lehigh.

We also have played a great many series exceeding 40 games over the past 125 years with Brown (they were a Thanksgving Day rival for many years), Princeton, Yale and Rutgers.

poly51
November 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
For Cal Poly:

Historically: Fresno State

Closest Football playing school. 140 miles.
Series History Fresno State Leads 30-10-2
1972-1985 D-II Cal Poly D 1A Fresno State 6-6-1
Since 1985 Fresno State Leads series 1-0 (2010)
Next Game 2013

Non Football Big West Rival: UC Santa Barbara

Closest University 104 miles.
Developing big soccer rivalry. Drew 11075 fans to match at Cal Poly in 2009. Stadium capacity 11075.

Biggest FCS rival: UC Davis

Same conference since UC Davis came to 1-AA/FCS.
Premier UC California ag school vs premier Cal State ag/engineering school.

Biggest OOC FCS rival: Montana

I don't know why.

Biggest "out to get" Cal Poly rival: San Diego State

Since 2006 Cal Poly is 2-0 against FBS San Diego State.
Next meeting 2011

DJKyR0
November 7th, 2010, 10:40 PM
For NDSU it's probably UND, SDSU, UNI (football)/Oakland or Oral Roberts (basketball).

SFspidur
November 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
For Richmond, it's obviously William and Mary...119 games of history split nearly evenly. JMU has also been a good rival for quite some time and another nearly even split.

For basketball, there's the city rivalry between UR and VCU...that's the big one. But UR hasn't really developed an in-conference rivalry in the A-10. UR and Xavier have gone toe-to-toe a number of times since we joined the A-10, but not really a true rivalry. The thought was that GW and then Charlotte would become geographic rivals, but those haven't really panned out for one reason or another.

SoCalAg
November 7th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Historically UC Davis' biggest rival has been Sac State, the 58th Causeway Classic will be played between the two schools in two weeks. The schools are eleven miles apart and you cross the Causeway to get to the game. The two teams also have had the Causeway Cup for all sports since 2005. However Davis leads the overall rivalry 38-19. It will be nice to have the game be a league game starting next year

In recent years Cal Poly has developed into our best rival. The Annual "Battle for the Golden Horseshoe" is our best game year in and year out. Davis leads the series 17-16-2 and the "BGH" series is at 3-3 since its inception in 2004.

I dislike Sac more (history there), but the Cal Poly win is a bigger win year in and year out.

rexreed
November 8th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Sam Houston's oldest rival is Texas State. We've been playing them since the 1920's. For some reason we tend to place more emphasis on the Stephen F. Austin game. "The Battle of the Piney Woods" as it is known now started in 1923. It's just as well since TXST looks to be leaving FCS and will no doubt stop playing us.

WileECoyote06
November 8th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Our biggest rival is North Carolina A & T. We enjoy beating them at ANY sport; basketball, football, volleyball, quiz bowl, debate, tiddly winks.

Followed by Winston-Salem State. But our rivalry with them is much friendlier. Also I can't wait until next season to re-establish our old CIAA rivalry with Norfolk State.

cmaxwellgsu
November 8th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Furman and App St. The rest of the schedule is just details.

cpstang
November 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM
For Cal Poly:
UC Davis = Friendly football rivalry
UCSB (UCSTD) = HATE!, see below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oB7QyVUeIk&feature=related

bonarae
November 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
For Harvard...

Yale is our #1 rival.

The other 6 Ivies have had great games/rivalries with us as well.

For the non-conference... nothing much to say here. We used to have rivalries with UMass, W&M, etc. but all stopped when: before the Ivy League was formed (for most now-Division III or now-FBS teams), Restic was at Harvard (after the last Harvard-UMass game, a brawl took place) or after Restic left Harvard (W&M). (Murphy's non-conference opponents, unfortunately, have all been Patriot League teams, IIRC.)

UMass922
November 8th, 2010, 01:49 AM
New Hampshire. Delaware is actually the opponent I usually look forward to the most, but since we don't play them every year, it's hard to call them our biggest rival (and anyway, they have a bigger rival of their own in Villanova). Meanwhile, with the success of the inaugural Colonial Clash, (32,848 at Gillette Stadium), it looks like UMass-UNH is going to be an "event" game every year, so that's our biggest rivalry game now for sure, if it wasn't already.

(In my dream world, our biggest rival would be UConn, but I'm not expecting that to be the case anytime soon.)

Dane96
November 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM
For hoops...no question: It's those snobby ****ers from Siena. I dont think many Mid-majors get a cross-town rivalry game that packs in nearly 12,000....and growing.

For football, it should be Stony Brook but we wont play them again until we get full-rides (so much to lose for us). Probably Central Connecticut...with Monmouth and RMU a step behind. But definitely Central.

For Lax- Stony Brook...though UMBC and UMASS are pretty close.

Bogus Megapardus
November 8th, 2010, 07:30 AM
For Harvard . . .non-conference opponents, unfortunately, have all been Patriot League teams

I was thinking the same thing. How unfortunate that most of our non-conference opponents seem to be from the Ivy League. Like you, I wish we could play more often against much better schools.

89rabbit
November 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM
NDSU. Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison!

Eaglesrus
November 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Like cmaxwellgsu already said, it's App State and Furman for us. While Wofford and Elon have mounted challenges in the SoCon over the last few years, when it comes to "throw out the record books, anything can happen" games year-in and year-out I think the Mountaineers and Paladins will be it for us for as long as we play each other.

TwoFeathers
November 8th, 2010, 08:14 AM
W&M and Richmond (Played annually in the Capital Cup, "The South's Oldest Rivalry") and/or W&M and JMU. Both huge in-state rivals.

darell1976
November 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
For UND its NDSU with over 100 years of history. For FCS it was USD but now with the parting of the two schools it will hopefully be Montana or Montana State in the Big Sky. We haven't played them in over 30 years and cannot wait to renew the series.

For hockey its Minnesota, and Wisconsin

aceinthehole
November 8th, 2010, 08:29 AM
For Central Connecticut it also varys by sport.

Football - Now it has to be Albany, but Monmouth is probably a close 2nd, with RMU not too far behind. Pre-1993, when we were in D-II it was Southern Conn. St., our sister-school in New Haven. We've played them more than 50 times for the "Governors Cup."

Non-conference, we really don't have anyone, but the fans certainly get up for New England teams like UMass and UNH, although we know we aren't really on their radar.

Basketball - Quinnipiac. We can't stand the snobby rich kids from Hamden and have owned this series. It's your standard in-conference, in-state, public-private rivalry. (Pre-1986, we had the same rivalry with Hartford when we were both D-II school. There was a big rift when both schools moved to D-I and that has only recently been repaired)

Monmouth is another huge rival, in Mens hoops and most NEC sports because they've been the class of the NEC for years and is the most sucessful school in the league.

UConn is a huge non-conference rival, primarly in VBall, WSoccer, MHoops, and Baseball. Although, we have never beat the in M Hoops, we have earned recent wins in the other sports.

R.A.
November 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Howard University's top rivals are...

#1 Hampton University "Pirates" (The Real HU Contest)... some of the NFL stars from both schools (Howard: Antoine Bethea/ Colts, Ronald Bartell/ Rams... Hampton: Kendall Langford/ Dolphins, Justin Durrant/ Jaguars) will refer to their schools as "The Real HU" in pregame introductions on NFL Sunday Night Football on NBC. They are talking about this rivalry.

#2 Morgan State University "Bears" (Battle of the B/W Parkway)... it's not as strong as it has been in the past, but Morgan and Howard usually play each other very competitively. The schools are only 40 Miles apart.

MSUDuo
November 8th, 2010, 08:58 AM
In football? Don't have one.

In all other sports? Wichita State

SpeedkingATL
November 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Like cmaxwellgsu already said, it's App State and Furman for us. While Wofford and Elon have mounted challenges in the SoCon over the last few years, when it comes to "throw out the record books, anything can happen" games year-in and year-out I think the Mountaineers and Paladins will be it for us for as long as we play each other.

For App it is GaSo and Furman; which is bigger is a debate but it's basically those 2 year in and year out. App could develop a good rivalry with JMU if we played more often. It got pretty darn good for a few years when we played every year.

WileECoyote06
November 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Howard University's top rivals are...

#1 Hampton University "Pirates" (The Real HU Contest)... some of the NFL stars from both schools (Howard: Antoine Bethea/ Colts, Ronald Bartell/ Rams... Hampton: Kendall Langford/ Dolphins, Justin Durrant/ Jaguars) will refer to their schools as "The Real HU" in pregame introductions on NFL Sunday Night Football on NBC. They are talking about this rivalry.

#2 Morgan State University "Bears" (Battle of the B/W Parkway)... it's not as strong as it has been in the past, but Morgan and Howard usually play each other very competitively. The schools are only 40 Miles apart.

I'm glad yall are picking your rivalry with Morehouse back up. They are natural rivals in terms of academic mission and other similarities.

DFW HOYA
November 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
None in football.

Could be Villanova, but that's not going to happen, either.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Appalachians biggest rival is Western. It just doesn't have the *shine* it used to have.

Number two in the SoCon would be The Vermin. In the next decade I look forward to leveling the series on the field, you furry purple rascals.

#2 would have been EZU, but those pansies chickened-out and ran away.

Much like the girlie men from Wake Forrest ran away when Appalachian started consistently spanking their feminine arses.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
A&T: NCCU!!!

Can't stand those pansies!

Murray State: Austin Peay in basketball & football

Punchykky
November 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Without a doubt, Norfolk State Spartan's biggest rival is the dreaded Hampton University Pirates. The hatred we feel for them is unmatched by any other team we face. But we will tailgate and drink a cold beer with them afterwards!

Redwyn
November 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
We'd never admit it - but at the moment it's Liberty. They're the only consistently good team in the Big South, and the more we play them in the unofficial conf champ, the tighter that rivalry gets.

It is an unnatural geographic/demographic/school mission matchup, so can see it transitioning to U Mass or similar in the future.

In Lacrosse - Albany, hands down. There's a lot of ferocity in that rivalry

In Basketball - Vermont in conference. Used to be Hofstra until they stopped wanting to play us.

R.A.
November 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I have mixed feelings about this one... Morehouse is a DII, and naturally I would rather we play schools in or above our level of play.

BUT...

Right now, Morehouse is a classic rival, that we might actually be able to defeat and build team confidence on... while making some money, so I'm with it--- for now.

LakesBison
November 8th, 2010, 10:54 AM
NDSU's

Football Northern Iowa.
Basketball SDSU

SalukiJim
November 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I really don't like southern Illinois...

When BBall season gets in full swing I hate creighton...used to just dislike them but with the recent events involving the Mcdermotts iit is now full fledged hate.

But SIU is always a little more satisfying W if we can get one regardless of sport...

In that line, our local bookstore sells "I H8 Creighton" shirts, but nothing about UNI. I think EVERYONE in the Valley hates Creighton regardless of sport.

SalukiJim
November 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM

I still remember the "Let's go Peay" chants... :P
And back in the 70s when they had Fly Williams as one of the leading NCAA scorers..."The Fly is open, Let's go..." :D

Uncle Rico's Clan
November 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Montana's biggest rival is Montana State, followed closely by EWU. Weber and Cal Poly are also up there on the list.

Edge316007
November 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
This is tough. For me, I think I might have to rank it like this

1. Georgia Southern - Mostly obvious, but I think I put them ahead of Furman because of the competitiveness of the games recently.
2. Furman - See Georgia Southern
3. Elon - Though we've mostly dominated them, they're still high because I can't stand a lot of their fans (no offense to anyone on here).
4. Wofford - They're moving up on my list because the game against them always seems to be important. I really like it being the last game of the season.
5. Western - So low because they just suck recently. They'll move higher if they start winning again. Though I think Dennis Wagner is a huge tool. Shorts, really?
6. JMU/Richmond/CAA - I guess I shouldn't say the entire CAA because I really don't care about teams like UNH. Needs to be more OOC games against them.

Sorry Samford, Chattanooga, the Citadel and the rest of the SoCon BBall schools (though Davidson would make this list if they had a good FB team) but I really don't consider you guys rivals.

GAD
November 8th, 2010, 11:46 AM
For Southern
1. Grambling-always intense and always draws huge crowds
2. Jackson State-these two schools are about 2 hours and hate each other
3. FAMU- just hate them

rexreed
November 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM
For Southern
1. Grambling-always intense and always draws huge crowds
2. Jackson State-these two schools are about 2 hours and hate each other
3. FAMU- just hate them

The Southern Grambling grudge match Is one of the best in all of college football!

Walkon79
November 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM
CAT/GRIZ, Nuff Said. but if TokyoGriz has his way it'll be UND, Weber and EWU down the road.

Redhawk2010
November 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM
For SEMO:

I'm told the SIU-SEMO rivalry used to be pretty good in both football and basketball. It's still decent today due to location..

SEMO people hate Murray State. In everything-- basketball, football, soccer, etc.

SEMO people also hate Eastern Illinois.

Frankly, SEMO people hate most of the schools in our conference. But I'd say those 3 are our biggest rivalries..

Sycamore51
November 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Most Indy Stae fans hate Ball Sack University Cardinals. Personally I have to throw Butler in the mix too. Can't stand either one of them, both are non-conference too which sucks.

bkrownd
November 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM
(In my dream world, our biggest rival would be UConn, but I'm not expecting that to be the case anytime soon.)

Nah. They were generally an also-ran during my tenure in Amherst, so I could care less about Connecticut. They also don't have lacrosse, which is no help.

WileECoyote06
November 8th, 2010, 05:58 PM

I would not be an Aggie! And I'll tell you the reason why! Cuz I'd roll around in the dirt all day and I'd never learn to fly! So proud to be an EAGLE!! So proud to be an EAGLE! So proud to be an N-C-C-U EAGLE!

gjw007
November 8th, 2010, 06:06 PM
South Dakota State is our big rival. Play for the Dakota Marker Trophy every year. This Saturday is the game for it in Fargo.

Our rival used to be a law school located near the Canadian border up until 2003.

Actually it still is. This can be seen by the excessive interest NDSU fans have with UND and vice versa (you can use most posting by JBB and LakeBison as examples). The fact they haven't played since NDSU changed division doesn't mean they aren't still prime rivals. This can also be seen by the steps taken to avoid playing the other as it is felt it hurts the other worse by not playing them then the benefit gained by playing them and beating them (and this is true on both sides). The SDSU is a make believe rivalry that is about to go south with the renewal of the natural rivalry between USD and SDSU. The same will happen between UND and NDSU eventually as they are natural rivals (similar size, similar location, same state, similar aspirations, etc.)

89rabbit
November 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Actually it still is. This can be seen by the excessive interest NDSU fans have with UND and vice versa (you can use most posting by JBB and LakeBison as examples). The fact they haven't played since NDSU changed division doesn't mean they aren't still prime rivals. This can also be seen by the steps taken to avoid playing the other as it is felt it hurts the other worse by not playing them then the benefit gained by playing them and beating them (and this is true on both sides). The SDSU is a make believe rivalry that is about to go south with the renewal of the natural rivalry between USD and SDSU. The same will happen between UND and NDSU eventually as they are natural rivals (similar size, similar location, same state, similar aspirations, etc.)

Whatever helps you sleep at night. xrotatehx

Last three games attendance in the SDSU vs. NDSU series:

Seems real enough to me.

Last three games attendance in the SDSU vs. USD series:

hawkineer
November 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Football, Basketball, Soccer, Baseball, Softball, Chess, Checkers, Tiddly Winks, Cow Tipping:
Hmmm. Let's see. I know, I Know - Laugheyette
12 days until number 146. xhurrayx

Wrestling: Penn State

LakesBison
November 8th, 2010, 06:44 PM
89rabbit... I LOVE your take. and cannot wait to kick your butt saturday!!

gjw007... thats the craziest post ever, you guys need medicine up there, its been 7 years , get over it!!

UMass922
November 8th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Nah. They were generally an also-ran during my tenure in Amherst, so I could care less about Connecticut. They also don't have lacrosse, which is no help.

I'm from Connecticut and grew up a Husky fan (in hoops, anyway) before attending UMass, so it would have a lot of personal significance for me. The two memorable games (both losses) we played against them during the '98 title season (which was also UConn's best I-AA season) whet my appetite quite a bit. (And the beatdown we game them in the '99 finale--their last ever I-AA game--I remember quite fondly as well.)

LeeshaJo
November 8th, 2010, 07:42 PM
My Mind for South Dakota State... Historically USD would be it... Recently NDSU. I forsee a lot of great rivalry games in the future as these three schools battle it out.

UNI would like to think they are above us Dakota schools, but in football, I see that one getting bigger every year, too.

UND I kind of see getting lost in the shuffle unless they can go out to the Big Sky and produce success right away, which I don't see happening.

ngineer
November 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM
All of the talk about the unpredictability of rivalry games lately has led to me thinking about rivals in general. The FBS world is full of major rivalries, but in FCS I think a lot of us don't know many outside of our own conferences. Who do you consider to be your school's major rivals? Are there some that used to be bitter, but have faded with time, or others that are just starting? Are there one sided rivalries where one school considers it a big deal, but the other might not care?

Aside from 'Nova, UMass seems to be the other established rivalry.

There was a budding one with Hofstra before they dropped their program, and now perhaps a new one starting out with JMU.

In the past Temple was a major rival, although since the subdivisional split they have not been willing to play us. Lehigh used to be a big rivalry in the past, but for whatever reason seems to have faded over time. The media seems to want to establish Del State as a new rivalry game, but most UD fans don't really seem to care about the forthcoming series, and nothing short of a miracle in Dover is going to make it anything close to competitive.

The only reason this good ol' rivalry faded is that it is not played anymore. Delaware demands the games be played at UD. Lehigh is willing to do a 2:1 ratio, but that is no good. Hence, no game. It is sad as there were some great games between these two schools.

ngineer
November 8th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Football, Basketball, Soccer, Baseball, Softball, Chess, Checkers, Tiddly Winks, Cow Tipping:
Hmmm. Let's see. I know, I Know - Laugheyette
12 days until number 146. xhurrayx

Wrestling: Penn State

Absolutely. Nothing comes close.

walliver
November 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Wofford doesn't have real mutual rivals.
We hate the former-Baptists in Greenville and the Bellhops in Charleston; but neither of them would rank us very highly on a rival list.
But, as long as we keep beating them on the gridiron, we don't care.

Sader87
November 8th, 2010, 09:09 PM
The ghosts of our athletic past.....

NoCoDanny
November 8th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Nobody

Sam Adams
November 8th, 2010, 10:34 PM
For Massachusetts I would say the 2 biggest rivals are UNH and UD

BearsCountry
November 8th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Wichita State and SIU

jmufan999
November 8th, 2010, 10:40 PM
For App it is GaSo and Furman; which is bigger is a debate but it's basically those 2 year in and year out. App could develop a good rivalry with JMU if we played more often. It got pretty darn good for a few years when we played every year.

that 2007 game still haunts me. i can only imagine what the players feel like. chilling. the mere thought can induce vomiting whenever i've needed that in my personal life. so i guess something positive came from the experience.

we don't have a true rival, but i guess our best rival is delaware. they're the most "like us" in the conference. pretty intense with the players, too (as evidenced by this year's game).

BearsCountry
November 8th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I think EVERYONE in the Valley hates Creighton regardless of sport.

Creighton really doesn't do much for Missouri State fans. Altman and company made us pretty miserable but nowhere near our hatred for Wichita State or you guys, or heck even UNI for that matter.

TheValleyRaider
November 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Cornell, Syracuse, Holy Cross, Lehigh.

Depends on the sport, really

HC and Lehigh are football-only rivalries, though maybe HC in basketball too, though generally it would require us to first care about basketball

Cornell is probably the biggest rival across sports, but particularly in Hockey. In football, you can use my above comment, but replace "basketball" with "football" and "us" with "Cornell" xlolx

Syracuse is really only a rival now for lacrosse. Sure, we play them every year in the Dome for basketball, but we're over 40 years since last beating the Orange, and I don't really see it happening with Boeheim on the sidelines. I'll always be rooting for it though xnodx

gjw007
November 9th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Whatever helps you sleep at night. xrotatehx

Last three games attendance in the SDSU vs. NDSU series:

Seems real enough to me.

Last three games attendance in the SDSU vs. USD series:

Is the attendence what you measure being a rival about? I guess your rival change every week with such determination. You forget the recent intrique with the SD government and the involvement to get USD and SDSU in the same conference. I don't have a dog in this fight but your comments is about as equivalent as saying Montana and Montana State are not rivals because the attendance at a game for anther team is higher therefore they are not the prime rivals. I accept that there can be multiple rivalries but like Michigan's prime football rivalry is with Ohio State, there is a rivalry with Michigan State. Note, the extend that fans will try to deny their main rival anything is also an example of it being a rivalry.

darell1976
November 9th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Is the attendence what you measure being a rival about? I guess your rival change every week with such determination. You forget the recent intrique with the SD government and the involvement to get USD and SDSU in the same conference. I don't have a dog in this fight but your comments is about as equivalent as saying Montana and Montana State are not rivals because the attendance at a game for anther team is higher therefore they are not the prime rivals. I accept that there can be multiple rivalries but like Michigan's prime football rivalry is with Ohio State, there is a rivalry with Michigan State. Note, the extend that fans will try to deny their main rival anything is also an example of it being a rivalry.

Thats all they measure it by. Forget about the 100+ years of playing each other and the Nickel Trophy, and the only televised game was UND vs NDSU, yep thats not a rival. We don't need NDSU. We will have Montana, and Montana State. We are not going to be in the NCC part 2 League (Summit League) so we can start our own rivals and looks like NDSU will be needing a new bball rival as SDSU has USD again. Which alphabet soup team will it be? IUPUI? IPFW? UMKC?xlolx

PS the Summit commish is looking at 2 former NCC teams to join the summit...Nebraska-Omaha and St. Cloud State. Remember the NCC days well its coming again.

MacThor
November 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
While W&M will always hold the #1 spot as the "oldest rivalry in the south," I think JMU is a bigger rival. The last four games have been decided in the last minute, with playoff implications. It seemed like when either team was having a down year, it was still a hard-hitting tight game for the past two decades. If W&M or UR was having a down year, the trophy game seemed to get a "meh" reaction.

Those UR-JMU basketball games back in the early 90s were classic. Both teams constantly in the hunt for the CAA title, and both teams pulled off first round NCAA upsets if I'm not mistaken. Now JMU has faded and Richmond moved to the A-10.

Damn, I'm old.

NJLincolnLion
November 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I have mixed feelings about this one... Morehouse is a DII, and naturally I would rather we play schools in or above our level of play.

BUT...

Right now, Morehouse is a classic rival, that we might actually be able to defeat and build team confidence on... while making some money, so I'm with it--- for now.

I don't think the Howard/Morehouse Rivalry will be an annual game. I think The Bison are scheduling the Maroon Tigers based on nostalgia, just like they scheduled Lincoln this season.

NJLincolnLion
November 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
As a fan of Blue Hen Football (my daughter is an alum), I would say Villanova is the biggest rival in football.

superman7515
November 9th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Delaware's biggest rival has always been Temple. Unfortunately, the game hasn't been played in so long, most don't remember it. That leaves Villanova by default.

molly
November 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
While W&M will always hold the #1 spot as the "oldest rivalry in the south," I think JMU is a bigger rival.

I think most W&M fans feel the same way, especially those under 30.

Spiderbone
November 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I disagree...UR cannot stand WM.....I played ball there and my wife went to WM...much bad juju will be in the house come next week. Besides there hasn't been much of a rivalry in the past five years anyway as UR has won every game...that may change this year however.

LeadBolt
November 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I disagree...UR cannot stand WM.....I played ball there and my wife went to WM...much bad juju will be in the house come next week. Besides there hasn't been much of a rivalry in the past five years anyway as UR has won every game...that may change this year however.

It is always a war when these two line up. Records seem to be pretty much out the window. The last two games have been very evenly played with UR pulling them out in the end. Hopefully this year will be different, but either way, it is the big one, from a rivalry stand point year in and year out. Is it possible to both respect and hate a foe at the same time???

bostonspider
November 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I think that is the big difference between UR-W&M and both UR-JMU, and W&M-JMU. There might be a lot of "hate" in all three rivalries, but there is a healthy level of respect between Richmond and William and Mary. I do not see that with JMU and either UR or W&M. That seems just a game where all you want to do is pound the other team. Maybe it is the shared long term history, or the level of similarities between UR and W&M, but it is a heated but very civil rivalry.

Ivytalk
November 10th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Yale. Well, duh!xlolx

After that, hard to say. Penn has become the "big dog" rival, but most Harvard folks really don't care, and the attendance shows it. The Game is more of a social occasion than anything else these days.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM
For Massachusetts I would say the 2 biggest rivals are UNH and UD

Would Umass still consider Temple a rival in bball? Temple-UMass was about as good as it got in college hoops in the early to mid '90s. The best was when Temple played at MCGonigle and Umass was at Curry Hicks. Those enviroments were awesome.

MacThor
November 10th, 2010, 12:02 PM

True, if you're just limiting it to football we have to say W&M. I played ball there too and we dressed EVERYone for the W&M game, home or away. (I think rules may prevent that now) I just have fresh memories of the crazy '07-'09 JMU games, and all the hope for playoff rematches in '07 and '08. In '07, we throttled W&M to clinch the CAA. In '08 it was a nail-biter but they didn't get in.

When you throw basketball in though, I still remember all those CRAZY Dick Tarrant v Lefty Driesell games. The year UR upset Syracuse in the first round, JMU almost kept them out of the tourney.

techstate
November 10th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I've heard that Cal Poly has had a number of rivals in the years (fresno, SDSU, SJSU) but has lost them when they moved up and we stayed. But right now our main rivals would have to be UC Santa Barbra. But because no football player would ever bring themselves to play for such a disgusting and horrible school UC Davis is our rivals for football. Although I would have to say the hatred is growing between the two schools but is not the same level as it is between Poly and UCSB.

Poly beating UCSB in an OT thriller with a sellout crowd. (even though its soccer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JXNoVqXfoY&feature=related

Humble Steward
November 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
For B-CU:

Football: FAMU is our biggest rival. The Florida Classic is usually sold out every year. I expect over 75,000 fans this year in the Citrus Bowl. Plus thousands of people tailgaiting that don't even go inside for the game. Can't get enough of enjoying a great game with family and friends. I'm a Wildcat for life, but I have give FAMU some props since I went to Grad school on the hill.

Football: Norfolk State is the past few years has turned out to be a classic rivalry. Ever since our Defensive Coordinator (Pete Adrian) and 3 or 4 other coaches left and went to Norfolk St. These games have been pretty intense the last 4 or 5 years.

Band: The Marching "100" of FAMU (more like 450) vs the Marching Wildcats "The Pride" is a show to see. The B-CU band (350 strong) has grown to become a National Premiere band and this is a classic in itself during the halftime of the Florida Classic.

Any other sport: Always FAMU.

seattlespider
November 10th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I think that is the big difference between UR-W&M and both UR-JMU, and W&M-JMU. There might be a lot of "hate" in all three rivalries, but there is a healthy level of respect between Richmond and William and Mary. I do not see that with JMU and either UR or W&M. That seems just a game where all you want to do is pound the other team. Maybe it is the shared long term history, or the level of similarities between UR and W&M, but it is a heated but very civil rivalry.

Agree completely. W&M and UR have a lot in common, and I think respect each other, which makes it (slightly) harder to hate them. I intensely dislike JMU, and like to see them destroyed at every opportunity.

Spiderbone
November 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM
True, if you're just limiting it to football we have to say W&M. I played ball there too and we dressed EVERYone for the W&M game, home or away. (I think rules may prevent that now) I just have fresh memories of the crazy '07-'09 JMU games, and all the hope for playoff rematches in '07 and '08. In '07, we throttled W&M to clinch the CAA. In '08 it was a nail-biter but they didn't get in.

When you throw basketball in though, I still remember all those CRAZY Dick Tarrant v Lefty Driesell games. The year UR upset Syracuse in the first round, JMU almost kept them out of the tourney.

I agree...when we were all in the CAA (I wish we still were, the current rivalries...leave a lot to be desired, no geographical interest) JMU and VCU games were what we as students looked forward to lots of name calling, derogatory statements etc. I remember on t-shirt a student was wearing that said VCU sucks but JMU swa...ows...kinda says it all.

Spiderbone
November 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Agree completely. W&M and UR have a lot in common, and I think respect each other, which makes it (slightly) harder to hate them. I intensely dislike JMU, and like to see them destroyed at every opportunity.

+1 and how...particularly with mickey matthews at the helm...

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I wish it was East Carolina, Wake Forest, Marshall, UNC Charlotte, James Madison, and Georgia Southern.

But in realty, its Georgia Southern, Furman, Western Carolina, Elon, and (in basketball) Davidson.

crunifan
November 10th, 2010, 05:40 PM
SIU

For basketball it gets heated between UNI and Wichita State/Creighton, but I wouldn't consider them true rivals.

PantherRob82
November 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Historically, it's been Western Illinois and Missouri State. As of late "Bear Week" hasn't had much meaning, and WIU hasn't been the thorn in our side. This year the Western Illinois game looms large(unless we win and they lose on Saturday).

For the last 5 years or so Southern Illinois has been our biggest rival. The games have been close, have been important, and are never over until there the clock shows 0:00. You could also argue that New Hampshire has become a rival in that span. 3 big games, coming down to the wire, and they meant a lot because they were in the playoffs. There would be no love lost if we met them again in the next year or two.

I would also add, that for teams that haven't played that often, with a last meeting in 2001, UNI and Montana sure don't like each other. :)

Twentysix
November 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
For UND its NDSU with over 100 years of history. For FCS it was USD but now with the parting of the two schools it will hopefully be Montana or Montana State in the Big Sky. We haven't played them in over 30 years and cannot wait to renew the series.

For [B]hockey its Minnesota, and Wisconsin

Hehe, the UND kids talk about a sport no one has heard of. Maybe he meant basketball.

;P.

Just messing with you darell. Do you think your Rivalry with UM UW are over with big 10 hockey?

jhanel
November 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
In Conference, Its all of them, but for different reasons. Here is my list in order of how it is now, not how it used to be:

1.) McNeese - They are the only school in the SLC that holds an overall winning edge over us (22-38-1 All-Time NSU). We have very heated games and normally have pretty great crowds. Plus they are a Louisiana school and have ruled the conference for a while and we are tired of it. Its our turn to stay, not just every now and then.

2.) sfa - The largest trophy in all levels of college football. (43-20-3 All-Time NSU) A lot of history, plus all Texas SLC schools look down upon the Louisiana schools, so we hate them in kind!

3.) Nicholls State - They started branding they were NSU, and thats why, for the stupidest reason, people type NSU NWST!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHH! We have been named, NSU, a lot longer then they have, so now we battle over it every year! Nicholls founded in 1948. NSU founded in 1884! (23-14 All-Time NSU)

and now the rest:

4.) sam houston - (19-14 All-Time NSU) Hate Texas!

5.) texas state - (17-10 All-Time NSU) Hate Texas!

6.) UCA - (2-2 All-Time NSU) Very new, but has turned into a game that people look forward too. Will probably move up soon.

7.) SLU - (28-26 All-Time NSU) This will probably become a top 3 game, in the future. I thinked we scored our most points ever against SLU in 2003 an 87-27 NSU victory. Hal Mumme just would not stop throwing it, so we just kept intercepting it and running them back for touchdowns! I was in Australia listening to this game online. IT WAS AWESOME!

79-44-3 ALL-TIME VS. TEXAS SLC SCHOOLS xlolx

glsjunior
November 10th, 2010, 08:35 PM
We don't have a body of work yet but I am guessing that it is South Alabama (at least they say it is (http://www.usavanguard.com/sports/jags-to-face-first-rivalry-in-georgia-state-1.1725578)) ODU and Ga Southern.

darell1976
November 11th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hehe, the UND kids talk about a sport no one has heard of. Maybe he meant basketball.

;P.

Just messing with you darell. Do you think your Rivalry with UM UW are over with big 10 hockey?

Its a hot topic on Siouxsports.com a lot of people aren't too concerned since there will only be a handful of teams in the BTHC and they need to schedule non-conference games and I think the Gophers will still want to play UND, SCSU, Mankato and Dulth. Thats why aren't 100% on board with the idea unlike Wisconsin who are totally onboard with the idea. It will be a second rate conference with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio State, and Penn State. Only Michigan has more National titles than UND, and Denver still kings of the WCHA.

DG Cowboy
November 11th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Personally, as a McNeese fan, Northwestern is my biggest fighting cousins rival. Other than our game, I pull for Northwestern the rest of the time, unless they need to lose for McNeese's benefit.

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
For Western Illinois Football, I'd say:
1. Illinois State - 92 meetings (50 for WIU, 39 for ISU, 3 ties) starting in 1904. They're also the closest Division I team to Macomb (as the crow flies, 89 miles).
2. Northern Iowa - not as long of a rivalry (38 meetings back to '67), but frequently the games are important in the conference race and have been memorable. Including a 2-ot win for WIU in Macomb in '97, and a 3-point win on a last-second 54 yard field goal by current SD Charger's punter Mike Scifres (his first in-game field goal attempt of his career) at the UNIDome in 2000.

Other than those two, there's Southern Illinois (also fairly close in proximity), and Eastern Illinois (not played since the 2002 I-AA playoffs, but 65 times overall).

And just to toss in an FBS team, Northern Illinois, 39 meetings (17 for WIU, 21 for NIU, 1 tie). Interestingly, since originally joining the MAC in 1973, the series is tied at 5-5 (All games played at NIU), with WIU winning 3 of the last 4. WIU has a lot of alumni in the Chicago area, so there's usually a pretty good-sized visitor's crowd at those games as well.

Iwuvdatrees
November 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I would say Illinois State and SIU...there always seems to be some bad blood between us and those two schools...Or Slogan at ISU is "More. From day one" and saw an Illinois State fan that had a shirt saying "Indiana State University Whores. From Day one."

Sycamore51
November 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I would say Illinois State and SIU...there always seems to be some bad blood between us and those two schools...Or Slogan at ISU is "More. From day one" and saw an Illinois State fan that had a shirt saying "Indiana State University Whores. From Day one."

So we like to make the sex, who doesn't!

NHwildEcat
November 11th, 2010, 02:27 PM
In ALL sports, the biggest rivalry is Maine because of our positioning wtihin the US. We always take pride in beating those people.

Other then Maine, for football I would have to say UMass. Basketball, probably only Maine there. And in our most competitive sport (historically) it IMO would be Boston College. However I have to say with hockey that the UNH/Maine game is always a good one. But I find myself not being able to stand the stench that is Boston college sports, so I always find happienss when anyone beats BC or BU!

Baseball...hell we lost that long ago.

wr70beh
November 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM

No rivalry with Western Carolina? I thought since they were 2 hours away and state schools that might be a historical rival.

NDB
November 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I hate pretty much every team in the MVFC (including NDSU).

rmutv
November 11th, 2010, 08:04 PM
For Robert Morris, it's definitely Duquesne in all sports, but especially football. Two teams hate each other, especially some of the old guard in the days of the ECAC Bowls. It's been a balanced rivalry too, which is part of the reason why the St. Francis (Pa.) rivalry has died down with Robert Morris. RMU's just been too dominant of late.

That's the case in hoops too, where Duquesne's still a huge non-conference rival, but with a different atmosphere. Lot of the RMU and Duquesne players play in the same summer league, so it's more of a friendly rivalry (just don't tell the fans).

The bigger basketball rivalry is against Mount St. Mary's. Lot of trash talk, very physical, and both sets of fans travel to road games in large numbers.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I didn't think about basketball rivalries when I started the thread. Back when I went to school there, UD's biggest basketball rival was Hofstra, with Drexel coming in a close second. Neither was a particularly friendly rivalry, although I can't think of anything that put UD against Hofstra that wasn't a bit contemptuous. These days I have no idea if those rivalries still exist, UD basketball has falled on hard times, and I admit I haven't followed it like I did when I was close enough to attend the games.

JaxSinfonian
November 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
It's been nearly a decade, but I still hate Troy.

UNA would be rival No. 2.

Sad, both of our rivals are in different divisions these days.

SalukiJim
November 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Regarding the t-shirt:
To quote the great philosopher, Larry the Cable Guy

"I don't care who you are, now, that's funny!"

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 12th, 2010, 05:47 PM
UMaine game may be fun, but for UNH fans from the 1970's forward, it is always all about ZooMass. As an earlier poster said, 33K at Gillette three weeks ago sort of confirms the rivalry. xthumbsupx