PDA

View Full Version : Ups & Downs

ChickenMan
May 10th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Which teams... in '05... have the best chance to surprise and which teams are the best bet to disappoint?

Listed below is last year's preseason AGS Poll (actual finish in parenthesis)

1. Delaware (8)
2. Southern Illinois (9)
3. Montana (3)
4. Furman (5)
5. Northern Iowa (25)
6. Wofford (18)
7. Colgate (n/r)
8. Maine (n/r)
9. Georgia Southern (10)
10. Villanova (n/r)
11. McNeese State (n/r)
12. Northern Arizona (n/r)
13. Montana State (n/r)
14. Western Kentucky (11)
15. Northwestern State (17)
16. Stephen F. Austin (n/r)
17. Western Illinois (n/r)
18. Massachusetts (n/r)
19. Appalachian State (n/r)
20. Grambling (n/r)
21. Lehigh (14)
22. Eastern Kentucky (n/r)
23. Northeastern (n/r)
24. Northern Colorado (n/r)
25. Southern (n/r)

based on that preseason poll a few of the '04 Ups & Downs were...

Ups:

JMU
SHS
W&M
UNH
EWU

Downs:

McNeese St
Colgate
Maine
Villanova
NAU

Who's are your candidates for the UPs & DOWNs awards this year...???

89Hen
May 10th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Don't we have to wait until the poll comes out?

ChickenMan
May 10th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Don't we have to wait until the poll comes out?

Not really... I was just using last year's poll as an example... the question really was... who are your picks to be the surprise teams (good or bad) this year?

Josh
May 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Not as good as I thought it would be. Ralph, you going to look at who is voting more this year and not just posts? I think something can be done to tweak this. I would hope that the poll is better this year.

WMTribe90
May 10th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Aa far as movement in the A10. I look for Umass, Hofstra and/or Maine to make positive strides, with UMass beingthe most likely bet at this point. I think UD may have the biggest fall (by UD standards). I be surprised if UD won more than 8 this year and think 7-4 may be more likely. JMU, UNH and WM should all be in the mix again. Hard to say in the A-10. Just my feel for things.

89Hen
May 10th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Not as good as I thought it would be. Ralph, you going to look at who is voting more this year and not just posts? I think something can be done to tweak this. I would hope that the poll is better this year.

The Sports Network 2004 Preseason I-AA College Football Poll and where they finished...

5. Colgate NR
8. McNeese State NR
9. Villanova NR
11. Maine NR
12. Western Illinois NR
14. Northern Arizona NR
15. Montana State NR
16. Stephen F. Austin NR
17. Grambling State NR
19. Massachusetts NR
20. Appalachian State NR
21. Eastern Kentucky NR
22. Northeastern NR
24. North Carolina A & T NR

That's a poll of invited "experts" of I-AA. You were saying? :p

RadMann
May 10th, 2005, 12:15 PM
How do you vote in this poll you are talking about? I read a few other threads about "the poll" but none show a link to a site to vote, and one message said people would receive an e-mail about the poll but I never got one....

Tod
May 10th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I thought Montana finished #2 last year.

ChickenMan
May 10th, 2005, 01:20 PM
No... my mistake... they were #2 as it was based on the final ESPN/USA poll

umassfan
May 11th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Aa far as movement in the A10. I look for Umass, Hofstra and/or Maine to make positive strides, with UMass beingthe most likely bet at this point. I think UD may have the biggest fall (by UD standards). I be surprised if UD won more than 8 this year and think 7-4 may be more likely. JMU, UNH and WM should all be in the mix again. Hard to say in the A-10. Just my feel for things.
Did you jump on the UMass bandwagon this year? ;)

Tribe4SF
May 11th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Did you jump on the UMass bandwagon this year? ;)

I wouldn't call it a bandwagon until they begin to deliver, but I agree that UMass looks like the A-10 favorite this year. I'd say we are ahead of the bandwagon. :nod:

ChickenMan
May 11th, 2005, 07:46 AM
I wouldn't call it a bandwagon until they begin to deliver, but I agree that UMass looks like the A-10 favorite this year. I'd say we are ahead of the bandwagon. :nod:

Being the favorite in the A10... is the kiss of death... ;)

ngineer
May 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Being the favorite in the A10... is the kiss of death... ;)
xsmoochx xsmoochx xsmoochx

Lapper
May 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM
3/5 of the preseason ranked teams were not ranked at the end of the season? Where was James Madison and New Hampshire? That gives us a load of confidence :D :D :D GO CHANTS!!!

GannonFan
May 12th, 2005, 12:54 PM
3/5 of the preseason ranked teams were not ranked at the end of the season? Where was ... New Hampshire? That gives us a load of confidence :D :D :D GO CHANTS!!!

I believe Ricky Santos was still in high school when some of the preseason polls came out - mayeb that had something to do with UNH's omission?