PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 11.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
This past week I went 4-1, Georgia Southern took Appalachian State to the limit and came out on top. Had Wofford found a way to lose vs. Samford, then any movement at the top would have been a wash. This week's power rankings (number of parenthesis indicates number of wins needed to be eligible for an at-large playoff bid).

1) Wofford (Qualified) - Terriers, thank Georgia Southern and also be thankful you beat Samford.
2) Appalachian State (Qualified) - Great start, not so great finish.
3) Georgia Southern (2*) - win vs. ASU puts them here
4) Furman (2*) - keeping playoff hope alive for another week
5) Elon (out) - got opportunity to showcase their QB of the future
6) Chattanooga (2*) - Coleman surprisingly threw no INTs vs. Auburn
7) Samford (out) - had nothing to be ashamed of vs. Wofford
8) Western Carolina (out) - good effort first half, second half not so much
9) The Citadel (out) - see Western Carolina

*-indicates one loss away from elimination for at-large consideration

Elimination games (+ team needs a win)
Georgia Southern+ @ Western Carolina - Catamount man et. al. is seen at Whitmire Stadium with "we need a coach" signs.
Samford @ Chattanooga+ - Team on a mission finds out Samford is not Auburn
Furman+ @ Elon - Can the Paladins keep hope alive vs. Elon?

Game of the Week
Wofford @ Appalachian State - This is a matchup for all the SoCon marbles. Wofford comes off an ugly win vs. Samford while Appalachian State saw a 14-point lead evaporate at the hands of Georgia Southern. The last time Wofford came to The Rock resulted in Appalachian State giving Wofford a beatdown. Wofford has improved significantly since then after having a bad season last year in which the injury bug bit them so hard they could not recover. Wofford's running game must be a focal point for ASU's defense if they are to have a chance of winning this game. This has all the makings of a barn-burner but the home team buoyed by a sellout crowd will pull this one out for a sixth straight SoCon title.

theasushow
November 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I think we will see a fired up, angry ASU team for Senior day at the Rock....they aren't used to losing, and don't think they will 2 weeks in a row.

ASUTodd
November 6th, 2010, 07:49 PM
This past week I went 4-1, Georgia Southern took Appalachian State to the limit and came out on top. Had Wofford found a way to lose vs. Samford, then any movement at the top would have been a wash. This week's power rankings (number of parenthesis indicates number of wins needed to be eligible for an at-large playoff bid).

1) Wofford (Qualified) - Terriers, thank Georgia Southern and also be thankful you beat Samford.
2) Appalachian State (Qualified) - Great start, not so great finish.
3) Georgia Southern (2*) - win vs. ASU puts them here
4) Furman (2*) - keeping playoff hope alive for another week
5) Elon (out) - got opportunity to showcase their QB of the future
6) Chattanooga (2*) - Coleman surprisingly threw no INTs vs. Auburn
7) Samford (out) - had nothing to be ashamed of vs. Wofford
8) Western Carolina (out) - good effort first half, second half not so much
9) The Citadel (out) - see Western Carolina

*-indicates one loss away from elimination for at-large consideration

Elimination games (+ team needs a win)
Georgia Southern+ @ Western Carolina - Catamount man et. al. is seen at Whitmire Stadium with "we need a coach" signs.
Samford @ Chattanooga+ - Team on a mission finds out Samford is not Auburn
Furman+ @ Elon - Can the Paladins keep hope alive vs. Elon?

Game of the Week
Wofford @ Appalachian State - This is a matchup for all the SoCon marbles. Wofford comes off an ugly win vs. Samford while Appalachian State saw a 14-point lead evaporate at the hands of Georgia Southern. The last time Wofford came to The Rock resulted in Appalachian State giving Wofford a beatdown. Wofford has improved significantly since then after having a bad season last year in which the injury bug bit them so hard they could not recover. Wofford's running game must be a focal point for ASU's defense if they are to have a chance of winning this game. This has all the makings of a barn-burner but the home team buoyed by a sellout crowd will pull this one out for a sixth straight SoCon title.

After giving GSU a Christmas gift, well.... I feel sorry for the Terriers. Beat Wofford!

wocorebel
November 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I think Pall and Breitenstein are ready to show the national stage that they deserve to be up for national awards. It will be a good game, but I don't think ASU can stop the running game of Wofford. Wofford's defense is a lot better, and I have a feeling ASU is going to see a couple of wrinkles of Wofford's offense that no one has seen this year. Go Terriers.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 6th, 2010, 09:07 PM
The power rankings look about right IMO.

I think GSU is going to win in a close one, which ensures they go into the Furman game Sober

I'm thinking maybe Samford has it together now and comes up just short against Chatty.

Furman over Elon in a close one.

And of course, the big one, Wofford @ App. State.

My gut tells me App. State doesn't lose at the rock. But it's going to go down to the wire. Should be a great game.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM
All I can say is defense wins championships. I predict we will win the Socon with at least a share. No way we lose to App and then Chatty, I don't think. Our defense has played well all year, not letting any team score 30 on us (though our offense and special teams have spotted some points). Our offense hasn't been as God-like as it was 2 years ago which shows a key difference. In 2008, we had the offense to match blow-for-blow with App State (we didn't because we turned the ball over, got behind, and kind of hung our head not to mention App played their best game of the season), this year we actually have a defense that has held our FCS opponents' offenses from scoring 24 points on us in every game. Our offense has scored 31 points plus in 5 of our 8 wins, so statistically that works well for us. I've noticed in the last few weeks that we have gone away from the pitch man and that has led to a slower development in the execution of the option. once we pass the ball effectively, that's when the game has started to open up. Against samford I noticed that we used the pitch man more, I think the coaches have noticed their lack of use in the last few weeks and are trying to spread the ball around more so our offense can be more effective. Whatever the case, I somewhat expected us to score less against Samford because they are a team built to stop the run (I didn't think we would do so badly though). As for App State, I think we will come out against them swinging like we did last year and the defense will play great. Our offense will probably run into some roadblocks but I think they'll play better than they did this week.

Prediction:
Wofford 31
Appalachian State 21

(I wouldn't be surprised if App came out swinging like they did in 2008 thoughxnonono2x)

I honestly don't care about other Socon games this week xlolx

Baldy
November 6th, 2010, 11:56 PM
After giving GSU a Christmas gift, well.... I feel sorry for the Terriers. Beat Wofford!
Christmas gift? xeyebrowx

xlolx

Your great team got beat, plain and simple. xnodx

kdinva
November 7th, 2010, 07:26 AM
App. St. 26; Wofford 21
UTC 24; Samford 18
Furman 28, Elon 21
Ga. Southern 33; WCU 20

OL FU
November 7th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Nice write up to start the thread. One quibble, the WC isn't for all the marbles since WC can lose and win a share of the championship. Assuming WC beats Chattanooga it is the game for the auto bid.

App. St. Wofford - I don't think GSU did Wofford any favors but at the same time I think Wofford is the better team. But the Rock makes it tough. Still WC in a close one
UTC 24 vs Samford - UTC in a close one
Furman Elon - If Riddle is throwing well it could be really really tough for us. We haven't played that many good passing teams. UTC ate us up and did it with the same play over and over. New QB started for Furman saturday, the sophmore Derrick. The offense moved the ball but WCU isn't exactly a stellar defense. I'm picking Furman but it is with much trepidation.
Ga. Southern vs WCU If WCU has any desire left they could make this one tough. Will GSU be riding high or a little let down after a huge win. I am picking a little of both. A close fist half and a win by a score or two for the Eagles.

T-Dog
November 7th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Nice write up to start the thread. One quibble, the WC isn't for all the marbles since WC can lose and win a share of the championship. Assuming WC beats Chattanooga it is the game for the auto bid.

Regardless of WC/UTC, next week is for the autobid. App wins and gets the tiebreaker. WC wins and they win outright.

Kind of like how App/Elon last year was for the conference title and auto bid, even though the loser could have still gotten a share if the winner faltered the final week. Nonetheless, there was still a trophy celebration on the field after the game.

OL FU
November 7th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Regardless of WC/UTC, next week is for the autobid. App wins and gets the tiebreaker. WC wins and they win outright.

Kind of like how App/Elon last year was for the conference title and auto bid, even though the loser could have still gotten a share if the winner faltered the final week. Nonetheless, there was still a trophy celebration on the field after the game.

That's true. Just making the statement that the auto bid and the conference championship are two different things. Didn't look far enough ahead to realize the winner gets the bid, period. Big game, someone tell me it is on TV

phoenix3
November 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM
ASU>Wofford - ASU wakes up & finishes strong. This is far from a lock, but I still say ASU has a very good run D.
UTC>SU - Chatt still playing for a playoff berth plays hard.
GSU>WCU - With Shaw back GSU will be too strong for WCU esp. with their D.
EU>FU - If Riddle is back at 85% or better. FU>EU if not.

gsu_paintballer
November 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM
UTC should be a spot higher for sure.

biggie
November 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Georgia Southern @ Western Carolina
Samford @ Chattanooga
Furman @ Elon
Wofford @ Appalachian State - Based on GSU game, unless something big changes on Offense we won't win, won't have the ball enough times to score enough.

elon77
November 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Georgia Southern @ Western Carolina
Samford @ Chattanooga
Furman @ Elon
Wofford @ Appalachian State - Based on GSU game, unless something big changes on Offense we won't win, won't have the ball enough times to score enough.

I agree with half of biggie's, but..................... ASU over Woffy, and Elon will beat Furman.xsmileyclapx

SpeedkingATL
November 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Here's hoping the Apps rebound at The Rock against the ankle-biters. I personally hope UTC, Furman and GaSo win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Need to have more than 2 SoCon teams in the show.

apaladin
November 7th, 2010, 05:38 PM
That's true. Just making the statement that the auto bid and the conference championship are two different things. Didn't look far enough ahead to realize the winner gets the bid, period. Big game, someone tell me it is on TV

I am sure it is the SoCon wildcard game on Sportsouth at 3pm Saturday. What is the status of Riddle for the FU game.

elon77
November 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I am sure it is the SoCon wildcard game on Sportsouth at 3pm Saturday. What is the status of Riddle for the FU game.

His status is that if he plays he will throw for 300+ yards against you.

phoenix3
November 8th, 2010, 09:03 AM

That info seems to be closely guarded. I'm not sure if the non start against El Cid was to insure no further injury & get him to 95-100% or if he is truly incapicitated. Knowing Riddle, if there's a chance at all for him to play, he will. He's a tough kid.

Edge316007
November 8th, 2010, 10:45 AM
To be honest, I think App wins and it won't be close. This past weekend was a wakeup call. It will be very difficult for Wofford to win in Boone.

LeadBolt
November 8th, 2010, 10:46 AM
To be honest, I think App wins and it won't be close. This past weekend was a wakeup call. It will be very difficult for Wofford to win in Boone.

Agreed!

PaladinFan
November 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
ASU over Wofford -- App's schedule started to bulk up and their point differential started to decrease. App's got loads of talent, but Wofford has made a program out of keeping the ball out of a good offenses hands and pulling massive upsets. I like the Mounties, but it'll be close.

Furman over Elon -- Furman will pull this one out of the offense stays consistent and the defense fixes whatever broke down against UTC. I actually think this one will be a low scoring affair.

GSU over Wester -- Don't sleep on this one Eagle fans. WCU has pulled a few big upsets, particularly at home. Cold weather and a long drive playing against a desparate team at home could make this one closer than the experts think.

UTC over Samford -- Samford will play respectably, but UTC has more talent.

TBone
November 8th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Georgia Southern @ Western Carolina; Eagles by at least 10
Samford @ Chattanooga; UTC in a come from behind win
Furman @ Elon; Purple prevails
Wofford @ Appalachian State; turn-overs will decide the game, Terriers win a close one

longtimemocfan
November 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM
GeorgiaSouthern @ Western Carolina-Eagles win.
Samford @ Chattanooga-Samford plays good D, but Mocs can move the ball on anybody and score enough to win.
Furman @ Elon-Be different story if Riddle was 100%.
Wofford @Appalachian ST -After a loss and playing in Boone gives home team edge.

AshevilleApp2
November 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Christmas gift? xeyebrowx

xlolx

Your great team got beat, plain and simple. xnodx

Hate to agree. But xnodx.