PDA

View Full Version : Does Ga. Southern have any shot at playoffs?

GSU Eagle
November 6th, 2010, 05:49 PM
The big win over #1 Appalachian today gets us to 5-4. If we win out vs. Western Carolina and Furman and finish 7-4, is there any shot?

I would rate it at about 25% chance. What do others think?

Nebuta
November 6th, 2010, 05:52 PM
7-4 Ga Southern gets in. imho.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 6th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Truth be told, I didn't think GSU had it in them to beat ASU. I figure GSU will be a contender for the playoffs in the future, the game vs. Furman will decide your fate since you should have no problem with Western Carolina.

heath
November 6th, 2010, 06:07 PM
yes,but do you get in over multiple 7-4 CAA teams?Congrats on your big win, never saw that coming

Eaglesrus
November 6th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Truth be told, I didn't think GSU had it in them to beat ASU. I figure GSU will be a contender for the playoffs in the future, the game vs. Furman will decide your fate since you should have no problem with Western Carolina.

Well, if we're being honest, I didn't either. I thought we were too young and too beat up. Guess I should have more faith. I did think our defense was much improved, but their performance was off the charts. Just a classic, hard-fought GSU - ASU war.

walliver
November 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM
GSU would have a good shot at 7-4. But, if Chatty wins out and finished 7-4 (which I hope doesn't happen), they would probably get a bid instead of GSU. The nCAA is not going to give the SoCon 4 teams in the play-offs.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I've got a feeling the Vermin are going to derail us. That's the way the GSU/Furman series seems to be going lately. If only one of the two teams still has a shot at the playoffs going into that game they lose.

ElonPride
November 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM
IMO, after the win today, GSU WOULD deserve a bid if they finish 7-4.

Even though I don't like GSU too much, it's good to see the program back on the upswing.......

Gil Dobie
November 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
They have a good shot at 7-4, depending on how other teams/conferences turnout.

jmufan999
November 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM
7-4 GSU should be good to go for the playoffs.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 6th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I've got a feeling the Vermin are going to derail us. That's the way the GSU/Furman series seems to be going lately. If only one of the two teams still has a shot at the playoffs going into that game they lose.

I am projecting Furman and GSU to be 6-4 by the time they meet each other with my initial edge going to GSU.

Cincy App
November 6th, 2010, 07:56 PM
GSU would stand a reasonable chance at 7-4. However, they would still be at the mercy of outcomes in other games. I agree with Walliver that Chattanooga has a better shot if they finish 7-4 than the winner of the GSU-Furman game. Final records of bubble teams in the CAA, Big Sky, MVC and Southland (particularly if SFA does not win the SL) along with the question of where an 8-3 Cal Poly would stand will play into the equation. Regardless, there is hope.

GaSouthern
November 6th, 2010, 09:23 PM
GSU is a LONG way from 7-4.. we try to shoot ourselves in the foot in cullowhee time after time and Furman is always a toss up.

danefan
November 6th, 2010, 10:31 PM
GSU is a virtual lock at 7-4 and would probably be hosting Bethune Cookman on thanksgiving weekend.

gsu_paintballer
November 6th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Why does everyone think we'd be in the playoffs at 7-4? I don't see it happening.

phoenix3
November 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Why does everyone think we'd be in the playoffs at 7-4? I don't see it happening.

With a win over the #1 fcs team which was on a 26 conference game winning streak? Why not? I do! I think the NCAA would love to see the return of a formerly perinneal playoff team.

chattanoogamocs
November 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I think either GSU or UTC has a reasonable chance of getting in at 7-4, but not both.

I think if both teams did get to 7-4, UTC would have the advantage over GSU for a number of reasons...tougher schedule, the fact they would have beaten a top 10-15 team on the road to finish the season (a nice marquee road win right before selection would definitely not hurt)...and the most obvious, they beat GSU heads-up.

But, I think GSU has a better chance of getting to 7-4 than Chattanooga...IMO, at least "on paper", the Samford/Wofford road is tougher than WCU/Furman

GaSouthern
November 6th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I think either GSU or UTC has a reasonable chance of getting in at 7-4, but not both.

I think if both teams did get to 7-4, UTC would have the advantage over GSU for a number of reasons...tougher schedule, the fact they would have beaten a top 10-15 team on the road to finish the season (a nice marquee road win right before selection would definitely not hurt)...and the most obvious, they beat GSU heads-up.

But, I think GSU has a better chance of getting to 7-4 than Chattanooga...IMO, at least "on paper", the Samford/Wofford road is tougher than WCU/Furman

I agree but I still think a 7-4 GSU team gets woffed.

seantaylor
November 7th, 2010, 12:56 AM
A 7-4 GSU team gets in easily. And will over a same record Chatty. We forget that the NCAA wants to make money, and GSU is still just about the biggest name and attendance out there, even though our idiot AD killed any mo we had. Not saying it's right, but at 7-4, if Appy wins out, we are a lock.

emilimo701
November 7th, 2010, 02:18 AM
They have a good shot at 7-4, depending on how other teams/conferences turnout.

this.

</thread>

emilimo701
November 7th, 2010, 02:23 AM
i don't understand how you guys can say "yes a lock" or "no way" when the answer cannot be either of these unless you are on the committee.

It depends on other things, like the other bubble teams. And "the NCAA wouldn't invite 4 SoCon teams"? again, are you the NCAA?

Since it's cool to assert things without sources or sound logic, let me answer OP's question...

43.2291%

gasoutherneagle
November 7th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Let's not forget that one of the four loses was 13-7 to Navy.

We should be in at 7-4.

chattanoogamocs
November 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
i don't understand how you guys can say "yes a lock" or "no way" when the answer cannot be either of these unless you are on the committee.

It depends on other things, like the other bubble teams. And "the NCAA wouldn't invite 4 SoCon teams"? again, are you the NCAA?

Since it's cool to assert things without sources or sound logic, let me answer OP's question...

43.2291%

I like that you "ended the thread" for us </thread> ....and then posted another response.

BTW, since you have only been here for a month...this is what fans do on a message board...they speculate, they give their opinions on what they will think happen.

I know, I know...people have opinions...who knew?????

:)

OL FU
November 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM

the interesting thing is (I am skeptical) there are those supposedly in the know that say a third place 7-4 SoCon team has a very good shot at getting in. This means of course if FU beats Elon (which ain't going to be easy) we would also have a shot. Actually, your victory over ASU makes the case for us better. As I said, I am skeptical. I am also worried about both of our upcoming games. I think we are the number one rated pass d in the conference which is somewhat skewed since we have played mostly running teams and Chattanooga blew us out of the water passing. The doesn't give me confidence if Riddle plays healthy. And as anemic as our offense has been, your defense scares me.

OL FU
November 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM

I agree with that analysis. If Chattanooga is 7-4 you beat Wofford. That plus the three losses to top 5 teams (in whatever sub division) looks pretty good.

WileECoyote06
November 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM
7 - 4 (7-3 vs FCS) with a win over App is a playoff caliber resume. For right now, they have knocked Jacksonville and SCSU out of the at-large discussion.

Also, I doubt they will host Bethune-Cookman, unless BCU loses to FAMU in the Florida Classic (a strong possibility though). If BCU wins the MEAC as an undefeated team, they won't be in the lower eight. Ga. Southern would be more likely to host UNH or Richmond.

GreatAppSt
November 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
If GSU finishes with a three game win streak and utc stumbles they have a good chance to get in imho. The CAA parity = strong league, and SoCon parity = weak league is flawed. The SoCons traditional strength is back this season my friends. If GSU or UTC finishes at 7-4 the SoCon should get 3 playoff bids.

GreatAppSt
November 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I agree but I still think a 7-4 GSU team gets woffed.

I don't think so.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
It puts a feather in the hat of the extended playoff format. For the past few years, Furman and GSU have met up without much to play for. This season, both teams could have a playoff spot on the line on November 20.

lknspider
November 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Socon is weak. Wofford is strong and ASU is good but has been way over rated all season. Proof.....when the top 25 poll comes out Monday, there will not be even one team among them that has been defeated by ASU. ASU has played a weak schedule and could lose their last three games...it will be no surprise. They were fortunate to pull out wins over UTC and Elon...and neither are will be among the top 25 tomorrow.

Saint3333
November 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
7-4 is the new 8-3 for power conference teams. GSU at 7-4 with a win over ASU and then Furman gets in the playoffs. History and averaging 18K in attendance doesn't hurt either.

stevdock
November 7th, 2010, 07:54 PM
7-4 is the new 8-3 for power conference teams. GSU at 7-4 with a win over ASU and then Furman gets in the playoffs. History and averaging 18K in attendance doesn't hurt either.

Say it comes down to a 7-4 GSU team and a 7-4 NDSU team, who gets in then?? What is the committee going to look at more, beating a #1 ASU or beating an FCS team?? I think there's still a shot of both teams getting in the playoffs at 7-4 but as of right now, it's not a great shot.

seantaylor
November 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Say it comes down to a 7-4 GSU team and a 7-4 NDSU team, who gets in then?? What is the committee going to look at more, beating a #1 ASU or beating an FCS team?? I think there's still a shot of both teams getting in the playoffs at 7-4 but as of right now, it's not a great shot.

We will. Better attendance, more tradition. This is the NCAA we're talking about here. A really cannot see a scenerio where any team ever gets in over GSU when both teams have equal records. That is with at least 7 D1 wins.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2010, 11:14 PM

+1

AshevilleApp2
November 8th, 2010, 06:27 AM
We will. Better attendance, more tradition. This is the NCAA we're talking about here. A really cannot see a scenerio where any team ever gets in over GSU when both teams have equal records. That is with at least 7 D1 wins.

Montana

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM
GSU will need some help from other teams across the country to get in at 7-4, including Wofford next week.

Montana

If Montana loses a fourth game they won't have 7 DI wins.

ElonPride
November 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM

This is actually what I was saying a few weeks back. A 7-4 team from the power conferences gets in over a 9-2 runner up from the "weaker" conferences.

It would certainly be interesting to see the Eagles sneak in.

GaSouthern
November 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
This is actually what I was saying a few weeks back. A 7-4 team from the power conferences gets in over a 9-2 runner up from the "weaker" conferences.

It would certainly be interesting to see the Eagles sneak in.

While I do expect us to win out, I'd be very surprised to see us in the playoffs this year.

theasushow
November 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
While I do expect us to win out, I'd be very surprised to see us in the playoffs this year.

if you are left out....everybody will look back to that Samford game. still can't figure out how you lose to Samford and then turn around and manhandle the ASU offense.
xbowx

Ivytalk
November 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Well said!

gsu_paintballer
November 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
if you are left out....everybody will look back to that Samford game. still can't figure out how you lose to Samford and then turn around and manhandle the ASU offense.
xbowx

That's an easy one.

Backup quarterback who is inexperienced. That hurts every team (not just us).

emilimo701
November 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I like that you "ended the thread" for us </thread> ....and then posted another response.

BTW, since you have only been here for a month...this is what fans do on a message board...they speculate, they give their opinions on what they will think happen.

I know, I know...people have opinions...who knew?????

:)

Mhmm but what I was criticizing were the polar responses like "when hell freezes over" or "100%" when the answer truly lies somewhere inbetween

However, there will be times when those responses pretty much ARE correct, but is that case you should still back it up with sources, facts, or experience

straightshooter
November 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Yep...that really is an easy one...In addition to starting a true freshman QB who ran the spread from the gun in HS, GSU also started true freshmen at OT, OG, MLB, DE, CB, FB and WR. Because of injuries, GSU elevated guys from the scout team to starters and #2s. All told, GSU is relying on 13 true freshmen to play either as starters or #2 game after game.

The team came out flat against Samford, and simply didn't have a leader on offense to spark them. The D probably played good enough for GSU to get a win, but the O was just not clicking.

The missing starters, not all at 100%, did return for the App State game, and it made a huge difference.

chattanoogamocs
November 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM

So a 7-4 GSU gets in over a 7-4 Chattanooga because of tradition?

Chattanooga beat GSU heads-up, the Mocs have a much tougher schedule (UTC's OOC record so far is 22-6, while GSU's is 10-17) and the Mocs, while not at the attendance level of GSU, is still in the top 20.

And we got a pile of cash to bid on a first round game (a benefit of not getting the Championship)...I am going to go out on a limb and say that, all things being equal, cash beats tradition. :)

jmlott
November 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
chattanoogamocs, I would actually agree more with you here. If we are both 7-4 at the end, you guys advance before us (regardless of tradition or cash). The fact that you beat us is the only factor that matters.

That said, neither of us can lose another game, and I honestly think we have a better shot at beating Furman than you do of beating Wofford. After watching them play us, I can tell you they run a triple option that looks a lot like GSU circa 2000. That is pretty hard to beat.

It's very possible that we both lose and this conversation is moot, however. I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks. Best of luck!

chattanoogamocs
November 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM
chattanoogamocs, I would actually agree more with you here. If we are both 7-4 at the end, you guys advance before us (regardless of tradition or cash). The fact that you beat us is the only factor that matters.

That said, neither of us can lose another game, and I honestly think we have a better shot at beating Furman than you do of beating Wofford. After watching them play us, I can tell you they run a triple option that looks a lot like GSU circa 2000. That is pretty hard to beat.

It's very possible that we both lose and this conversation is moot, however. I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks. Best of luck!

I definitely agree with you...in an earlier reply on this thread I said the road to 7-4 for GSU (WCU/Furman) is easier than the road for Chattanooga (Samford/Wofford).

Winning at Wofford will be extremely difficult...but, I will say that the Mocs biggest weakness has been against teams with strong arm QBs that can throw deep in the secondary...Chattanooga has done pretty well against run-oriented teams (which gives me hope). UTC's schedule worked out well with the option teams in that they played the easiest one first, then a tough one...then arguably the toughest last.

It's been a weird year in the SoCon...a team can look unbeatable one weekend and struggle the next...so who knows how it will work out. Let's hope we are having this debate in 13 days.

walliver
November 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM
A 7-4 Chatty team should get in before a 7-4 GSU team, but, this is "The Committee" at work and GSU would probably get the spot.

seantaylor
November 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM
A 7-4 Chatty team will have no signature win, ala GSU vs Appy. Also, GSU will have a really tight FBS loss involved against a team that just scored 76 against ECU.

Milktruck74
November 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
A 7-4 Chatty team will have no signature win.

If the CHATTY Mocs are 7-4 they WILL have a signature win against Wofford. This could also be Wofford's only FCS loss. How is a road win at the Number 3 team in the nation not a "Signature Win"?

I'm not saying the mocs are going to be 7-4, but if they are that means they will have beaten a pretty good wofford team on the road.

seantaylor
November 9th, 2010, 10:04 PM
If the CHATTY Mocs are 7-4 they WILL have a signature win against Wofford. This could also be Wofford's only FCS loss. How is a road win at the Number 3 team in the nation not a "Signature Win"?

I'm not saying the mocs are going to be 7-4, but if they are that means they will have beaten a pretty good wofford team on the road.

I missed the fact that you still had Wofford. That would be a signature win, especially if Woffie wins this weekend, which they won't in my opinion.