Lafayette Leopards, 2-6 (1-1)
at
Colgate Raiders, 4-4 (1-2)

Last Time Out
Lafayette - W at Bucknell 33-22
Colgate - L at Lehigh 44-14

All-Time Series: Colgate 38-11-4
Streak: Lafayette, 1 Win
Last Meeting: Lafayette 59-49 in Easton (2009)

Coaches
Lafayette - Frank Tavani, 11th Season, 62-59
Colgate - Dick Biddle, 15th Season, 117-55

Media Links from GoColgateRaiders.com (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/sports/2010/7/11/FB_0711105432.aspx?path=football)

Audio from TeamLine: http://www.teamline.cc/teampage?teamcode=2007

Live Stats from Sidearm Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/colgate/football/index.htm

Video from Colgate All-Access: http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/showcase/#liveevents

Next Weekend
Lafayette vs Holy Cross
Colgate at Bucknell

Let's Go 'Gate!

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Sullivan considered possible for today, he'll be a game-time decision

It's Senior Day at Andy Kerr, hopefully we can go out with an appropriate ending

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Sullivan will start, we shall see how the ankle holds up

Lafayette to kickoff. Rodriguez's kick taken by Jackson at the 5, and he returns it up to the 45. 1st and 10 Raiders

Lafayette 0
Colgate 0
14:51 1st

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Sullivan looks for the end zone, but it's underthrown and INTERCEPTED in the end zone by the Leopards

0-0
12:25 1st

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Lafayette stalls at midfield, 4th down coming. Punt from Kondash is allowed to bounce and roll, stopping at the 12. 1st and 10 Raiders

0-0
8:51 1st

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Unimpressive 3 and out for the Raiders, Goldszak in to punt. Kick rolls to Layton at midfield, returned up to the 33. Flag on the play is a Personal Foul, Late Hit on Colgate. Ball pushed up to the 19. 1st and 10 Leopards

0-0
7:51 1st

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM
3 plays later, Elder from the one is in, TOUCHDOWN. Rodriguez PAT is up and GOOD

7-0 Lafayette
6:54 1st

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Kickoff from Rodriguez is taken by Jackson inside the 10, returned up to the 32. 1st and 10 Raiders

7-0 Lafayette
6:46 1st

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Lafayette stuffs Sullivan on 3rd and 5 on the 10, 4th down upcoming as the clock expires

Lafayette 7
Colgate 0
End 1st

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM
To start the 2nd, a 27 yard FG attempt for Colborne is up and GOOD!

7-3 Lafayette
14:56 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Colborne's kickoff is taken at the 12, returned to the 35. 1st and 10 Leopards

7-3 Lafayette
14:49 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Lafayette, setting up on 1st down near midfield, calls their 1st TimeOut to talk it over

7-3 Lafayette
13:39 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Leopards cannot move out of the timeout, forcing a punt. Kick is fair caught by Marshall at the 17. 1st and 10 Raiders

7-3 Lafayette
12:47 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Eachus gets a big hole, but the ball pops loose, FUMBLE, recovered by Lafayette at the 8. 1st and 10 Leopards

7-3 Lafayette
9:22 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Quilling under pressure, pass tipped by Smith into the hands of Lamont Sonds who takes it in, TOUCHDOWN! Colborne's PAT is up and GOOD!

10-7 Colgate
8:32 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Colborne's kickoff is taken at the 8, returned up to the 27. 1st and 10 Leopards

10-7 Colgate
8:25 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Lost video for a moment there. Missed a Lafayette turnover near midfield (interception by Diamond), and got it back just in time to see Eachus go 34 yards for the TOUCHDOWN!! Colborne's PAT is up and GOOD!!

17-7 Colgate
5:10 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Kickoff from Colborne returned to the 20. 1st and 10 Leopards

17-7 Colgate
5:04 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM
4th down coming at the Raider 26, Quilling's pass is knocked away, incomplete, TURNOVER ON DOWNS. 1st and 10 Raiders

17-7 Colgate
1:17 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Eachus running the ball near midfield, and Colgate stops the clock with their 1st TimeOut

17-7 Colgate
0:46 2nd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Colgate runs a few times with Eachus without too much gain, and so the clock runs out

Lafayette 7
Colgate 17
Halftime

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Colborne kicks off for Colgate, taken at the 14, returned to the 28. Flag on the field is Block in the Back, pushes to the ball to the 11. 1st and 10 Leopards

Lafayette 7
Colgate 17
14:53 3rd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:44 PM
3 and out for the Leopards to open the 2nd half. Kondash on to punt it away, his kick taken by Marshall at the 42, returned to the 50. 1st and 10 Raiders

17-7 Colgate
13:22 3rd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Raiders drive right down the field, Eachus gets the edge and finishes the drive, TOUCHDOWN!!! Colborne's PAT is up and GOOD!!!

24-7 Colgate
10:49 3rd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Kickoff from Colborne taken at the 17, returned to the 34. 1st and 10 Leopards

24-7 Colgate
10:42 3rd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Lafayette stalls just across midfield. Punt from Kondash fair caught by Marshall at the 11. 1st and 10 Raiders

24-7 Colgate
8:04 3rd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Colgate moves into Lafayette territory, but not much farther. Goldszak's punt is nice and high, fair caught at the 10. 1st and 10 Leopards

24-7 Colgate
2:13 3rd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Lafayette on the move into Colgate territory, 3rd down upcoming as the clock expires

Lafayette 7
Colgate 24
End 3rd

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Lafayette's 3rd down play just shy of the 1st at the 34. Going for it on 4th and 1. Quilling under pressure, dumps off to Elder and he scampers to the 20 for an easy 1st down

24-7 Colgate
14:02 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Quilling to throw, Layton is open in the end zone, TOUCHDOWN. PAT from Rodriguez is...a bad snap, loose ball picked up by the holder, he throws to the end zone, GOOD, but there are multiple flags thrown. Ineligible receiver pushes back the PAT. 2nd attempt is up and GOOD

24-14 Colgate
13:00 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Kickoff from Rodriguez is taken by Jackson at the 11, returned to the 29. 1st and 10 Raiders

24-14 Colgate
12:52 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Sullivan under pressure, heaves it downfield, INTERCEPTED. Simmons gets it and returns it to the 31. 1st and 10 Leopards

24-14 Colgate
10:55 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
2 straight sacks by Smith brings up 3rd and 30 for Lafayette, Quilling heaves it into coverage, and DiMass has it, INTERCEPTION down at the 5! 3rd pick of the day for the Colgate defense, equalling their season so far. 1st and 10 Raiders

24-14 Colgate
8:46 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Colgate moving and running down the clock, Lafayette takes their 1st TimeOut

24-14 Colgate
3:15 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Eachus picks up another 1st down, and then Sullivan picks up a few yards for 2nd down before Lafayette takes their 2nd TimeOut

24-14 Colgate
2:29 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Lafayette uses their 3rd TimeOut after Eachus picks up a few, 3rd and long upcoming

24-14 Colgate
2:24 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Colgate stopped on 3rd down, 4th and 7 coming, and Colgate runs down the play clock before burning their 1st TimeOut

24-14 Colgate
1:36 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Punt from Goldszak bounces right near the goalline and in, touchback. 1st and 10 Leopards

24-14 Colgate
1:24 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Quilling looking deep over the middle, and DiMassa is there! INTERCEPTION!!! Returned to the Lafayette 30, that will do it. 1st and 10 Raiders

24-14 Colgate
1:05 4th

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Sullivan will kneel it out, and Senior Day is a victory!

Lafayette 14
Colgate 24
Final

carney2
November 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I hate to break up a marvelous monologue with VR talking to himself, but a few words about the loyal opposition:

Lafayette QB Ryan O'Neil was lifted in the 2nd quarter last week in favor of senior Marc Quilling. The coaches made a decision on Monday or Tuesday that O'Neil just wasn't getting it done and they were going to stick with Quilling who rewarded their confidence by throwing 4 interceptions today, including two in the 2nd quarter that resulted in 14 Colgate points. O'Neil did not re-emerge. In fact, no substitution was made. "High potential" sophomore Andy Shoop has still not seen the field during this woeful campaign, and that may just speak volumes about him if he cannot insert himself into what has become a football vacuum. Lafayette coach Frank Tavani, however, says "There is no quarterback controversy." Perhaps leaving the word "controversy" out of that sentence would be a more apt description of the situation.

Lafayette will now finish the season the way they started it - with no quarterback and no down linemen. They will enter 2011 in much the same way. If the coaches don't have a knock-out recruiting season, sad sack football just may become the norm in Easton.

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I hate to break up a marvelous monologue with VR talking to himself, but a few words about the loyal opposition...

Always nice to hear another voice in the wilderness xlolx

'Gate93
November 7th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I hate to break up a marvelous monologue with VR talking to himself, but a few words about the loyal opposition:

He does put on a great show. I'm sorry he can't be there to enjoy it in person ;-)

Lafayette QB Ryan O'Neil was lifted in the 2nd quarter last week in favor of senior Marc Quilling. The coaches made a decision on Monday or Tuesday that O'Neil just wasn't getting it done and they were going to stick with Quilling who rewarded their confidence by throwing 4 interceptions today, including two in the 2nd quarter that resulted in 14 Colgate points. O'Neil did not re-emerge. In fact, no substitution was made. "High potential" sophomore Andy Shoop has still not seen the field during this woeful campaign, and that may just speak volumes about him if he cannot insert himself into what has become a football vacuum. Lafayette coach Frank Tavani, however, says "There is no quarterback controversy." Perhaps leaving the word "controversy" out of that sentence would be a more apt description of the situation.

Lafayette will now finish the season the way they started it - with no quarterback and no down linemen. They will enter 2011 in much the same way. If the coaches don't have a knock-out recruiting season, sad sack football just may become the norm in Easton.

I feel your pain. A team's QB will make all the difference. When Sullivan was out last week, the entire team dynamic was changed for the worse. Would love to see you guys make a game of it against Lehigh. Lots of pride on the line in that storied series. Those two teams are fortunate to have such a national following.

Colgate had high expectations, but games against FCS cellar-dwellers Princeton, Cornell & Gtown inflated our stats against subpar teams. Our loss to a good Lehigh team sealed our fate. As for yesterday's game, it wasn't pretty. QB miscues made them both look shaky, but I loved watching Lafayette throw the ball downfield, pretty much untouched. We tipped several passes, but overall our pass defense was weak. 'Gate continues to run up the middle with little gain on 1st down and need to go outside more. I thought Sullivan looked shaky for the 1st half. Controlling the clock must have frustrated the Lafayette offense as they were standing on the sidelines waiting for a turn in the 4th quarter that never materialized. We let Lafayette back in the game and it should never have happened. Despite the interceptions (I'll assume 4 is rare), they have decent success with long plays through the air toward the sidelines.

Andy
November 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Paul Rheinhard, Morning Call gives us this quote:

TAVANI ON QUILLING -- "It never looks good when you have (four) intercdeptions. That's obviously not a good day. But we asked him to manage the game and for the most part that part went OK. Nobody's perfect, there were a couple of times out there where we didn't have the right check. We missed a couple (passes) early, they weere overthrown."

Other than that, everything, including the confounding decision to play the kid, went great.

So nine games into the season we're asking a senior with little past and no future to "manage the game." Playing him makes sense only in a scenario where O'Neil (starter) is being disciplined or they've totally given up on him. A sorry state of affairs in Easton. The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach.

Go...gate
November 7th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Nice win by Colgate and thanks to Valley Raider for the play-by-play.

Doc QB
November 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Watched the game on MASN yst...the home stands looked terribly empty, despite it being senior day. Is this the norm in Hamilton these days? There was not even a few hundred people there in that huge grandstand. The visitor side was not shown much, though I doubt Lafayette traveled well given the distance to 'Gate and the record the 'Pards are sporting these days.

Any thoughts?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Lehigh @ Holy Cross: 5,892
Lafayette @ Colgate: 4,873
Fordham @ Bucknell: 1,935

Let's be kind and say I'm not inspired by these numbers.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM

I saw the replay of the LU-HC game and there looked to be more than 5,892 at Fitton.

I feel some of Lehigh's home games were under reported.

Doc QB
November 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
There is NO WAY there was almost 5 thousand at Colgate....not unless the visitor side was jammed. You could almost count people in the home grandstand during punts and kickoffs, no lie.

carney2
November 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM

Pretty much standard operating procedure for Bucknell, while Colgate in November can be like an afternoon with Admiral Peary at the North Pole - something to be avoided by sane people. Besides, the Colgate home crowds have never been overwhelming on the best of days. It is a brutal trek for most people. Holy Cross has done better, and I guess I expected better for this one.

Time for a reality check. If Lehigh, as I expect, now becomes an annual contender, I would expect their home crowds to begin bumping above 10,000 again, BUT I think if you campare those future crowds with those of 10 years or so ago, you will find them down. Lafayette will be taking a plunge if, for no other reason, than the quality of the play on the field will be down for a while. These are traditionally the attendance top two. Add to this, the fact that Patriot League students, in general, have shown a declining interest in football, and you see that with each passing year the programs put more and more space between themselves and the people who are interested in and support them. With the support base aging and moving to Florida - and ultimately dying off - you have to ask who will care enough to spend their Saturdays in a Patriot League football stadium in 10, 20, 30 years.

I guess the League fathers and mothers have a stop gap solution in hand if they approve scholarships thereby theoretically improving play and maybe even the level of opponents, but the trend line is pointing down.

Doc QB
November 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I guess the League fathers and mothers have a stop gap solution in hand if they approve scholarships thereby theoretically improving play and maybe even the level of opponents, but the trend line is pointing down.

Carney, you have officially depressed the crap out of me. I've been going to games since I was a kid when LU was at Taylor, my dad played in late 60's, and I was in uniform on sidelines for three of the best crowds/games ever at Goodman ('91 vs Dartmouth, Holy Cross, and 'Pards).

And yes, I see the landscape changing for what students do on weekends (unless you are a Big Ten or SEC juggernaut). It makes me sad, because I had always hope my kids would play those same kind of games I did, with great crowds, atmospheres, and traditions. But, they are only four and two years old, so who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and things change over the next fifteen years for the better.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Carney, you have officially depressed the crap out of me...

Then his job is done here. xlolx

ngineer
November 8th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I saw the replay of the LU-HC game and there looked to be more than 5,892 at Fitton.

I feel some of Lehigh's home games were under reported.

I was at Fitton Field, and my estimate was 6,000: About 4,000 on the HC side and 2,000 on the Lehigh side. Considering Parents Weekend and the PL title on the line, somewhat surprising. Weather also cooperated. Sunny and warm for November in MA.

'Gate93
November 9th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Pretty much standard operating procedure for Bucknell, while Colgate in November can be like an afternoon with Admiral Peary at the North Pole - something to be avoided by sane people. Besides, the Colgate home crowds have never been overwhelming on the best of days. It is a brutal trek for most people.

Did not seem like 4800+ in Hamilton...but maybe some fans never made it out of the parking lot from their tailgating ;-) I've said before that with exception to Bucknell & Colgate, it is probably easier for the other PL schools to fill their stands based on their suburban/small city locations/accessibility/fan base. That being said, 'Gate does a decent job even in crappy weather, which is almost a given.

Go...gate
November 9th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Watched the game on MASN yst...the home stands looked terribly empty, despite it being senior day. Is this the norm in Hamilton these days? There was not even a few hundred people there in that huge grandstand. The visitor side was not shown much, though I doubt Lafayette traveled well given the distance to 'Gate and the record the 'Pards are sporting these days.

Any thoughts?

The "visitor" side is the old "home" side and is where the pressbox is located. Camera shots, however, often show the pressbox side so the place looks empty.