PDA

View Full Version : Article on MEAC Commish: Title Game > Playoffs

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Click on the link and he does a Q&A about topics such as MEAC expansion (WSSU, NCCU, etc), an HBCU title game and possibly even leaving the I-AA playoffs (???)...

Commissioner guides big MEAC changes
From TV and shoe deals to possible expansion, Dennis Thomas always meets the challenges.
BY MARTY O'BRIEN

February 12, 2006
VIRGINIA BEACH -- During his introduction in 2002 as Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference commissioner, Dennis Thomas wondered aloud, "What the heck have I gotten myself into?" He was only half-joking.

Thomas was ending a successful tenure as athletics director at Hampton University to lead a conference that was cash-strapped and in need of an image makeover. Four years later, many challenges remain.

MEAC basketball ranks near the bottom of Division I, its tournament overshadowed among regional historically black college fans by the Division II CIAA tournament. MEAC football remains popular among students and alumni, but the conference hasn't won a Division I-AA playoff game in six years.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-70293sy0feb12,0,1426476.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I'm fine with the SWAC and MEAC champs playing a Heritage Bowl title game. My :twocents: are that the folks that run the I-AA playoffs should find a way to co-opt that game into the I-AA playoffs.

I know it won't be easy, but it would give everyone what they want. National validity for HBCU's in the I-AA playoffs, and a "quality win" for the winner in the playoffs, and it also gives the playoffs a tremendous game at the gate and with national interest. They'll probably also save Hampton and SC State from bolting the conference.

It's becoming ever more clear that I-AA needs to unite the conferences that currently have I-AA playoff exceptions, not let them go their own way.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2006, 08:04 AM
I like the idea of an HBCU national title game in round one. It solves all the problems. Brings the SWAC in, gives both conference their big title game and it means a helluva lot more now that's it a playoff game...

If Hampton and SC State were to leave the MEAC, that'd really hurt the credibility of the league, atleast until the rest of the teams in the league catch up with them on the gridiron...

bosshogg
February 12th, 2006, 08:33 AM
If this happens, then SCSU nees to leave, and so does Hampton N.C. A&T, and FAMU. This is ridiculous. It will limit the calibur of recruits we get. For what, the possibility of more money? Someone ask how much money the last Heritage Bowl made? Why was it cancelled if it was such a cash cow?

I just wrote an article about this on my SCSU blog...please check it out everyone.

www.scstate.blogspot.com

The SCSU leaves the MEAC campaign is leaving the station. Everytime I go back to campus, or to an alumni meeting, I will be voicing my opinion as loud as I can.

Big South, Socon, whoever else, please save us a spot. I was really hoping that the conference would be a little smart about this. I guess not.

I know there are many people here who would welcome SCSU into the Big South, or maybe the Socon, but there are many who would not. We'll see whats real now.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Nice little piece there bosshogg. Had to post. :)

Maybe SCSU needs to leave the MEAC
I am kinda angry right now. I just read an interview where the commisioner of the MEAC conference said that when we add a few more schools, that the MEAC will divide into split divisions, and play a HBCU championship game at the end of the season. Sounds good right? WRONG. When this happens, we will forgo the 1-AA playoffs. Like the SWAC. Personally, I want SCSU to win a 1-AA championship, not just a HBCU champiobship. NO disrespect to HBCU's, as I love them, but I want SCSU to compete on a national stage, not limit ourselves. Please, if you agree, voice your opinion to anyone you know in leadership positions at SCSU. I feel that if this conference excludes us from winning a national championship, that we should leave the MEAC and join a conference that doens't feel we need to separate ourselves from the rest of the football world.

Tribe4SF
February 12th, 2006, 09:21 AM
The commish does not believe MEAC teams can be successful in the playoffs, and says so in the interview. That attitude threatens his grand marketing plan, and would ensure a decline in quality of the football programs. He talks about the diversity of MEAC institutions, but takes a "we're only HBCUs" attitude where football is concerned. Not surprising that he's alienating folks at places like Hampton and SCSU.

Anyone who saw Hampton's games against Richmond and W&M these last two years, knows how close they are to being truly competitive in I-AA. That has certainly been the Pirates' goal, but this guy does not seem to be in step with it.

OL FU
February 12th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I took a quick look at the MEAC message board. Looks like the majority of posters hate the idea of leaving he playoffs.

bosshogg
February 12th, 2006, 09:37 AM
The commish does not believe MEAC teams can be successful in the playoffs, and says so in the interview. That attitude threatens his grand marketing plan, and would ensure a decline in quality of the football programs. He talks about the diversity of MEAC institutions, but takes a "we're only HBCUs" attitude where football is concerned. Not surprising that he's alienating folks at places like Hampton and SCSU.

Anyone who saw Hampton's games against Richmond and W&M these last two years, knows how close they are to being truly competitive in I-AA. That has certainly been the Pirates' goal, but this guy does not seem to be in step with it.

Amen!!

blukeys
February 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I like the idea of an HBCU national title game in round one. It solves all the problems. Brings the SWAC in, gives both conference their big title game and it means a helluva lot more now that's it a playoff game...

If Hampton and SC State were to leave the MEAC, that'd really hurt the credibility of the league, atleast until the rest of the teams in the league catch up with them on the gridiron...

Well that would be one way that the SWAC would lose It's 0 for 19 collar and the MEAC would have a chance of winning a playoff game in the 21st Century. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Well that would be one way that the SWAC would lose It's 0 for 19 collar and the MEAC would have a chance of winning a playoff game in the 21st Century. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Atleast we can test the validity of how well HBCU football stands against the rest of I-AA, something we can't completely do now, especially since you have a team like Grambling that steam rolls the SWAC and then that's it.

This would automatically put the HBCU National Champion into the I-AA quarterfinals and we can test that National Champion squad against a solid I-AA foe. They'd still have to win three games after the HBCU National Title game...

Would also get the I-AA playoffs a bit more national run...

blukeys
February 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM
There is ample evidence of how the SWAC and MEAC fare against quality competition. There are regular season games for both conferences. Why do they get a pass into the quarters. Let this be a play in game.

bosshogg
February 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM
agreed...no pass into the quarters.....I want the same chances as everyone else........a free pass into the quarters would basically be admitting we need help to get in. We need to fund athletics and market them the way other schools do, not get a free pass...

CoastalFan2005
February 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Big South, Socon, whoever else, please save us a spot. I was really hoping that the conference would be a little smart about this. I guess not.

I know there are many people here who would welcome SCSU into the Big South, or maybe the Socon, but there are many who would not. We'll see whats real now.

I'm pretty sure that the Big South would love to have you and Hampton both. CCU and SCSU are establishing what I hope to be a good series of games down the road...so I would certainly welcome the certainty of playing you guys as a conference opponent every year, :)

youwouldno
February 12th, 2006, 01:06 PM
It would have to be a play-in game and even then I'm skeptical. But I do agree with the principle that I-AA needs to be more unified. The lack of cohesion in I-AA is one of the main strikes against it-- there are over 100 I-AA football-playing colleges and universities, meaning an enormous number of alumni across the country.

Getting every conference (except mid-majors of course) to participate in the playoffs would go a long way. Maybe some creativity would be required to pull it off, but it would be good for I-AA.

TxSt02
February 12th, 2006, 04:42 PM
agreed...no pass into the quarters.....I want the same chances as everyone else........a free pass into the quarters would basically be admitting we need help to get in. We need to fund athletics and market them the way other schools do, not get a free pass...

that and what happens if the team that wins this game then looses the next week? does the devalue the HBCU title??? i would think so...

Tod
February 12th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Big South would love to have you and Hampton both. CCU and SCSU are establishing what I hope to be a good series of games down the road...so I would certainly welcome the certainty of playing you guys as a conference opponent every year, :)

I agree this would be great for the Big South. Maybe another team would leave too, giving the Big South a nice even eight (and increasing chances for an auto-bid)?

I don't think it would matter as much to the rest of the MEAC whether they had six or seven football playing schools. They'd be giving up the playoffs under this scenario anyway.

As an aside, I was looking at the MEAC site because I couldn't remember how many football teams they have, and I have to say I love this logo from Norfolk State:

http://www.nsu.edu/images/Athleticlogo.jpg

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM
The SWAC faithful think this is great that the MEAC Commish is thinking about leaving the playoffs for an HBCU title game...

Problem is for our friends in the MEAC is that they'll lose atleast two, if not more schools if they make that decision. Ultimately comes down to the Univ Presidents and ADs...

http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56291

gram4life
February 12th, 2006, 08:22 PM
The SWAC faithful think this is great that the MEAC Commish is thinking about leaving the playoffs for an HBCU title game...

Problem is for our friends in the MEAC is that they'll lose atleast two, if not more schools if they make that decision. Ultimately comes down to the Univ Presidents and ADs...

Wow! Man nevermind SMH

Tod
February 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Wow! Man nevermind SMH

What's the problem? :confused: :confused: :confused:

blukeys
February 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM

I have to say that boss hog you are a stand up guy. Must be something in the Water at Orangeburg.

Ben Blacknell was an assistant at SCSU and then got the shaft at Delaware State as head coach. He also was a totally stand up guy and from what I saw a great coach. But DelState wanted him to win with only 44 scollies in the MEAC when everybody else was using 63 and then showed him the door when he didn't win in the MEAC.

Ben knew I was a UD fan but I went to his radio shows and he appreciated the support. He is truly a great guy. You are one of those Meac fans who say let us win or lose on our own terms and not make an excuse. I find that refreshing (For the record ole' Shell shock is in that same category) ;) ;)

gram4life
February 12th, 2006, 10:11 PM
What's the problem? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Read the posting in the link, and then show me where the SWAC faithful are happy with this.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Nobody's going to leave the meac xidiotx . They will lose all of their fans. Look at Tenn. St. attendence at non-HBCU games.

Hansel
February 12th, 2006, 10:41 PM

"Only a complete fool would continue to chase after approval from a group that's raping you while you're doing it."

what's that supposed to mean ???

February 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Nobody's going to leave the meac xidiotx . They will lose all of their fans. Look at Tenn. St. attendence at non-HBCU games.When was Tenn St part of the MEAC? Wonder why they don't join a conference that's not in the playoffs?

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 12th, 2006, 11:21 PM
When was Tenn St part of the MEAC? Wonder why they don't join a conference that's not in the playoffs?
They tried to. Our foolish Commish at the time turn them down. : smh :

February 12th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Nobody's going to leave the meac xidiotx . They will lose all of their fans. Look at Tenn. St. attendence at non-HBCU games.When was Tenn St part of the MEAC?

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 12th, 2006, 11:49 PM
When was Tenn St part of the MEAC?
Never said that. I was using Tenn St. as an example.

February 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Nobody's going to leave the meac xidiotx . They will lose all of their fans. Look at Tenn. St. attendence at non-HBCU games.
When was Tenn St part of the MEAC?
Never said that. I was using Tenn St. as an example.You are using them as an example of why teams would not leave the MEAC. Tenn St was never part of the MEAC to begin with. Tenn St still gets it's games with HBCUs as would teams that left the MEAC. It's not like the rest of I-AA is chop liver.

February 13th, 2006, 02:25 AM
This quote bothers me from the article and might bother MEAC athletic administrators.

"Coaches always want to win national championships, but on a nationwide level they won't be doing that in the I-AA playoffs."

So, "they" (coaches) won't be winning NCAA championships in football? What does that say to the participants? Are the coaches happy with that? How about the players?

Does it even matter what they think? Seems like the commish is saying it doesn't. That can't be good for building nationally contending programs.

bosshogg
February 13th, 2006, 05:40 AM
I have to say that boss hog you are a stand up guy. Must be something in the Water at Orangeburg.

Ben Blacknell was an assistant at SCSU and then got the shaft at Delaware State as head coach. He also was a totally stand up guy and from what I saw a great coach. But DelState wanted him to win with only 44 scollies in the MEAC when everybody else was using 63 and then showed him the door when he didn't win in the MEAC.

Ben knew I was a UD fan but I went to his radio shows and he appreciated the support. He is truly a great guy. You are one of those Meac fans who say let us win or lose on our own terms and not make an excuse. I find that refreshing (For the record ole' Shell shock is in that same category) ;) ;)

preciate it...

tsutiger
February 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM

From what I'd observed since I started posting on messageboard most from MEAC schools don't want handouts. They want a fair shot.

henfan
February 13th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Seems somebody needs to remind Mr. Thomas of how the first attempt at the Heritage Bowl went. Not exactly a financial boon to the MEAC.

I don't imagine this is a plan DSU's CEO Alan Sessoms would embrace.

tsutiger
February 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM

TSU never applied to join the MEAC, it was the SWAC. Thank God your Commish and Presidents lacked vision back then.

Also TSU is a perfect example of how you can have it both way.

We are in the top 10 in 1AA in average attendace. The only HBCU's ahead of us were Southern and FAMU. Every year we play in 2 of the top 6 attended games in 1AA (Atlanta Classic & Southern Heritage Classic) and were the only HBCU to annually host our own Classic (John A. Merritt Classic).

If playing in the SWAC or MEAC was an automatic attendance booster more then two teams would be infront of us. Also SWAC member Alabama A&M would not have signed a contract from them to come to Nashville four years in a row.

Mr. Tiger
February 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Seems somebody needs to remind Mr. Thomas of how the first attempt at the Heritage Bowl went. Not exactly a financial boon to the MEAC.

I don't imagine this is a plan DSU's CEO Alan Sessoms would embrace.

Let me start off by saying I hope the MEAC continues to go to the playoffs. I think we all can agree that Hampton and South Carolina State are making strides. But the Heritage Bowl was not a complete failure. It was carried on national television and drew over 30,000 fans several years despite the MEAC sending its best team to the playoffs. From what I have read, the bowl game was halted because of the MEAC's desire to send its teams to the playoffs and the fact that the SWAC wanted to start a championship game and couldn't play two post-season events.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Let me start off by saying I hope the MEAC continues to go to the playoffs. I think we all can agree that Hampton and South Carolina State are making strides. But the Heritage Bowl was not a complete failure. It was carried on national television and drew over 30,000 fans several years despite the MEAC sending its best team to the playoffs. From what I have read, the bowl game was halted because of the MEAC's desire to send its teams to the playoffs and the fact that the SWAC wanted to start a championship game and couldn't play two post-season events.

Exactly.

The Heritage Bowl was a modest success, and could be more successful with some more love (i.e, having both the MEAC and SWAC champions play).

The MEAC wants to be part of the playoffs (and probably most SWAC coaches, players, and fans too).

It would take some creativity, and maybe some sacrifice (like moving Grambling/Southern and other Turkey Day classics to "Rivalry Week" or the week before "Rivalry Week"), but there's no reason why the MEAC and SWAC can't get together and make EVERYTHING happen - a Heritage Bowl that is in effect a "playoff bid" to the Round of 16.

As long as the SWAC and MEAC don't have their hearts set on (ugh) championship games, this is very doable. My :twocents:

SU Jag
February 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM
There was talk last season about the Heritage Bowl making a return. I don't know how true that is but it has been metioned! :nod:

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Exactly.

The Heritage Bowl was a modest success, and could be more successful with some more love (i.e, having both the MEAC and SWAC champions play).

The MEAC wants to be part of the playoffs (and probably most SWAC coaches, players, and fans too).

It would take some creativity, and maybe some sacrifice (like moving Grambling/Southern and other Turkey Day classics to "Rivalry Week" or the week before "Rivalry Week"), but there's no reason why the MEAC and SWAC can't get together and make EVERYTHING happen - a Heritage Bowl that is in effect a "playoff bid" to the Round of 16.

As long as the SWAC and MEAC don't have their hearts set on (ugh) championship games, this is very doable. My :twocents:
1. Most SWAC fans don't want to go to the playoffs,only a select few.
2.The playing date of the Bayou Classic isn't going to change. We had this date before the 1-aa playoffs existed.
3. The SWAC and Meac would never share the revenue from the Heritage Bowl with the NCAA. Remember the percentage of the gate the NCAA takes from the playoffs.
4. Why should the SWAC and Meac be pentalized, having to play each other during the first round. They could have the best 2 teams and have to face each other in the first round, which isn't fair.

Mr. Tiger
February 13th, 2006, 01:14 PM
1. Most SWAC fans don't want to go to the playoffs,only a select few.
2.The playing date of the Bayou Classic isn't going to change. We had this date before the 1-aa playoffs existed.
3. The SWAC and Meac would never share the revenue from the Heritage Bowl with the NCAA. Remember the percentage of the gate the NCAA takes from the playoffs.
4. Why should the SWAC and Meac be pentalized, having to play each other during the first round. They could have the best 2 teams and have to face each other in the first round, which isn't fair.

Grambling and Southern will not move the date of the Bayou Classic and I can understand because the game means a lot to both schools, draws over 50,000, and it has a great tv slot on NBC, which they would not want to jeopardize by moving the game to another date. But there are some playoff supporters, including myself and other Jackson State fans, but I also understand that when you can draw 30,000 fans for a SWAC championship game and keep the profits or travel to New Hampshire for a playoff game and make little money, then financially it just doesn't add up. I wish something could be done but short of a change in the entire playoff system, I really don't foresee any changes for the SWAC.

Jafus (Thinker)
February 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Smile!!

College and University, Presidents/Chancellors!!

Shaking My Head!!

Revenue and Expenditures!!

Shaking My Head!!

February 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Smile!!

College and University, Presidents/Chancellors!!

Shaking My Head!!

Revenue and Expenditures!!

Shaking My Head!! :bawling: :nod: :nod: : smh : :nod: :nod: :nonono2: :nod: :nod: :bawling:

: flamemad : flamemad : flamemad : flamemad

February 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I hope my tears are premature ...

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Jafus (Thinker)
February 13th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Ralph,

(Smile!! Thurston, III)

February 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Ralph,
(Smile!! Thurston, III)
http://www.mises.org/images3/TH3.gif
"No one can pull the wool over my eyes. Cashmere maybe, but wool, never."
-Thurston Howell III

http://www.mises.org/fullstory.aspx?control=1595

henfan
February 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
But the Heritage Bowl was not a complete failure. It was carried on national television and drew over 30,000 fans several years despite the MEAC sending its best team to the playoffs. From what I have read, the bowl game was halted because of the MEAC's desire to send its teams to the playoffs and the fact that the SWAC wanted to start a championship game and couldn't play two post-season events.

Sorry, if I gave the impression that the HBowl was a complete failure. Obviously, it wasn't; it just wasn't an unqualified success either.

The official reasons given for the game's cancellation was low attendance (approx. 30K is still terrific for I-AA!) and the end of the 2-year TV deal. The TV deal was probably paying the participants a decent chunk of change. Can't imagine the Bowl was making money only filling 40% of the Georgia Dome with paying customers.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A04EEDA113EF932A25751C0A9669C8B 63

For selfish reasons, I'd wish there was a way to work the SWAC champ into the I-AA playoffs, but understand the economics driving that decision. Can't blame them!

Jafus (Thinker)
February 13th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Ralph,

LOL!!

Henfan,

That was not the "official" reason given. The official announcement stated the 2000 Heritage Bowl was "Suspended". Each official (MEAC Commissioner, SWAC Commissioner, and HBCC Executive Director gave different quotes on the "Suspension" of the Heritage Bowl in 2000. Anyway, the official reason was never issued to the public, but I digress.