PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-1

JALMOND
November 4th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I guess I did not put the power rankings over here. My apologies and I promise to do better.

After all that happened within the Big Sky last weekend, it had a tremendous impact on the power rankings. Only one team, Montana State stayed in the same place and all other teams manuvered around them. We finally had one team, Eastern Washington play like a champion and one other team, Northern Arizona start on their annual downward spiral. This weeks power rankings. This week (last week). All are my opinion only and all are open for discussion. My sincere apologies for not getting this out on Monday.

1. Eastern Washington (3)---As stated, the Eagles finally played like true conference champions as they got past Portland State on the road. A performance truly indicative of a champion, the Eagles dominated in virtually all aspects of the game. This win put them in the driver's seat for at least a share of the conference title. This week, a bye to prepare for the final conference game against Idaho State (and a non conference tilt with Southern Utah), and possibly beyond.

2. Montana State (2)---So a win is a win, true. But when you are showing that you are one of the more dominate teams in the conference, to have cellar dweller Idaho State take the Bobcats to overtime, you have to wonder where the Bobcats are right now. Are they just finishing out the season, hoping to hold on? With Montana losing, the Bobcats can just win and gain the Big Sky AQ. The games are not easy, especially coming off that overtime win. This week, they have Weber State at home.

3. Montana (1)---With how they've been playing, one had to think that the Grizzlies would finally lose. But no one really expected it, as the Grizzlies had made a habit of snatching a win out of the grasp of defeat. However, the last time they went to Weber State, they left defeated and this year was the same thing. Now, with their conference title hopes dashed, they take this week off to regroup and refocus.

4. Sacramento State (5)---Whereas Montana had made a habit of finding ways to win, the Hornets had spent most of the year finding ways to lose. Heading down to Northern Arizona, it was expected they would stay close, but no one gave them much chance to win. Well, win they did, in a game that was not close at all. A dominating performance by the Hornets. This week, they return home confident as they entertain Portland State.

5. Weber State (6)---For all that happened around the conference, at the end of October no one was really paying any attention to the Wildcats. Now, as they dispatched Montana (just like 2008 in Ogden), everyone is talking about them. A new lease on the season has the Wildcats believing this season is not lost and they can still make some noise. This week, another chance to knock off a heavyweight as they head to Montana State. A win there could really put the conference on its ear.

6. Northern Arizona (4)---Was it a fluke or are the Jacks going to stumble in their last four games like before? It is amazing how the Jacks can be playing like gangbusters, then at the end of the year, they look really horrible as they did at home against Sacramento State. Is the swoon starting this year? The schedule is set up to avoid this, but the Jacks still need to play. This week, they have to go on the road and play the pesky Northern Colorado team.

7. Idaho State (9)---There must be something about the Bengals playing the Montana schools at home late in the year. No one gave the Bengals a shot against Montana State, yet they took the mighty Bobcats to overtime before rolling over in defeat. Scheduling the Bobcats late, just like the Montana game last year, and the Bengals rise up. This week, they will need to rise up as they venture out of conference to SEC land and play Georgia.

8. Portland State (7)---Things were going so well for the Vikings and improvement was evident in every game. Then, Kavanaugh goes down and the defense falls apart against Eastern Washington and the results were ugly to say the least. The Vikings porous rushing defense will once again be put to the test this week as they head down the road to face Sacramento State.

9. Northern Colorado (8)---With all the wild barnburners in the conference, it was probably good for the Bears that almost no one witnessed their ugly loss to South Dakota. Nothing went right as the Bears could not get going. This week, they get to host the reeling Northern Arizona team, a team that the Bears have played close the last couple years. Will this be the year they can finally get a win?

I Bleed Purple
November 4th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I assume the HTH is the reason for Sac to be ahead of Weber?

wapiti
November 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I would leave Idaho State last and put MSU and UM in a tie for 2nd.

Walkon79
November 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Weber 4th, Sac 5th

JALMOND
November 5th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I assume the HTH is the reason for Sac to be ahead of Weber?

Part of it. Also last week while the Wildcats beat Montana at home by 9, the Hornets were beating NAU on the road by 30. That also had something to do with it.

EdubAlum
November 5th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I've been waiting for your weekly power rankings! It'll be interesting to see how the UM,MSU,WSU cluster shakes out. looks like the UM vs MSU game at the end of the year will have it's usual big sky champions implications as always.