PDA

View Full Version : Is USD Backing out of the Big Sky?

Coyote Fan
November 3rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Not sure what is going on but the message boards are buzzing tonight around South Dakota. Speculation is that there is going to be breaking news from Vermillion tonight and it is unexpected.

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
Not sure what is going on but the message boards are buzzing tonight around South Dakota. Speculation is that there is going to be breaking news from Vermillion tonight and it is unexpected.

Is the Coyote board back up? I keep getting this - "We could not load the forum that you are attempting to access. Please try again later." when I try to access http://coyotesports.proboards.com/index.cgi

Coyote Fan
November 3rd, 2010, 09:22 PM
Is the Coyote board back up? I keep getting this - "We could not load the forum that you are attempting to access. Please try again later." when I try to access http://coyotesports.proboards.com/index.cgi

I have been able to get in but also have gotten errors from time to time. USD has been gotten to by someone or something because they were going to the Big Sky and had every intention. I could hear it in the AD's voice in interviews done as recent ago as late last week.

usdfbalum63
November 3rd, 2010, 09:22 PM

http://usdcoyotesports.proboards.com/index.cgi

It is up and running. Should be an interesting board tomorrow.

usdfbalum63
November 3rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
Will USD or SDSU get the first home game in 2012 when the series resumes in FB?............

Edit: the question was asked if I know something. Yes I do.

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Someone had mentioned in another thread that Montana's new president was a long time professor and recently the provost at USD so they were likely in the know about Montana's intentions. If USD announces that they're not going to the Big Sky is that a precursor to say that Montana may be headed out of the BSC?

usdfbalum63
November 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM
The cat is out of the bag. KSFY (Sioux Falls local TV station) is reporting USD has an MVFC invite.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
Wow.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20101102/NEWS/11020334/1001/news

In August, Patty Viverito, commissioner of the Missouri Valley, said her football-only league would cooperate with a Summit League study about the possibility of adding football to that conference, but USD officials were not encouraged by the Missouri Valley's interest in expansion, nor in holding out for the possibility of forming of a Summit League football conference, which could be years away.

Talk among fans has persisted in recent days that USD's delay in announcing a commitment to the Big Sky - rumored for more than a week now - has to do with the potential for a last-minute invitation to the Missouri Valley for football. Sayler, as he did last week, said there have been no discussions.

"Nothing that we're doing now is based on the hope that something can be done with the Missouri Valley Football Conference," Sayler said. "They've made their decisions. There's no debate going on here."

No idea Sayler could backflip like that.

mksioux
November 3rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
This stinks for UND and the Big Sky. xthumbsdownx

Great news for USD. Congratulations.

NDB
November 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
well at least UND gets to keep its nickname for a few more months...

slostang
November 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
The cat is out of the bag. KSFY (Sioux Falls local TV station) is reporting USD has an MVFC invite.

Don't you mean the Coyote is out of the bag? :)

89rabbit
November 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
Congrats USD and welcome to the MVFC.

usdfbalum63
November 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Don't you mean the Coyote is out of the bag? :)

Very good! Well, looks like we have a BS v MVFC matchup this weekend.... Interesting times.

usdfbalum63
November 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Congrats USD and welcome to the MVFC.

So what is your attendance prediction the first USD v SDSU game at CAS?

slostang
November 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Very good! Well, looks like we have a BS v MVFC matchup this weekend.... Interesting times.

Well then, Go BIG SKY!!!!! :)

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood! Glad you decided to move in.

CopperCat
November 3rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Someone had mentioned in another thread that Montana's new president was a long time professor and recently the provost at USD so they were likely in the know about Montana's intentions. If USD announces that they're not going to the Big Sky is that a precursor to say that Montana may be headed out of the BSC?

Dear god, we are now speculating about UM via USD going to the MVFC.

ST_Lawson
November 3rd, 2010, 11:44 PM
If all the rumors (and news reports, and other sources) are true, then...
welcome to Missouri Valley Football, Coyotes and Fans!
Looking forward to seeing you guys play down here in Macomb in a few years.

usdfbalum63
November 3rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
If all the rumors (and news reports, and other sources) are true, then...
welcome to Missouri Valley Football, Coyotes and Fans!
Looking forward to seeing you guys play down here in Macomb in a few years.

That will be a fun trip, and I will definitely make it. Gives me an excuse to get even fatter by stopping in at the Filling Station in Davenport and getting the best Buffalo Wings on the planet! Looking forward to some great games.

89rabbit
November 4th, 2010, 12:18 AM
16,000 +

89rabbit
November 4th, 2010, 12:20 AM
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20101103/UPDATES/101103040

USD expected to join Missouri Valley football, stay in Summit

BY MICK GARRY • [email protected] • November 3, 2010

A process that pointed the University of South Dakota toward sending its athletic programs to the Big Sky Conference has taken an abrupt turn.

At a news conference today in Vermillion, the school is expected to announce that it will join the Missouri Valley Football Conference while honoring its commitment to the Summit League in all other sports.

Since South Dakota State also belongs to Missouri Valley Football and the Summit, today’s announcement means the Coyotes and Jackrabbits will compete in the same league for all sports for the first time since they went NCAA Division I.

USD officials would not comment Wednesday on the 11th-hour negotiations, but word spread quickly that the school would be turning its back on the Big Sky, which welcomed the University of North Dakota and Southern Utah on Monday. . . . (read more)

Umpire
November 4th, 2010, 12:21 AM
That's some major 11th hour flip-flopping.

Can't blame the Yotes though. It's easily the better option.

usdfbalum63
November 4th, 2010, 12:25 AM
16,000 +

Then the question is how many tickets with SDSU make available for USD ? A few thousand you think?

jacksfan29
November 4th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Then the question is how many tickets with SDSU make available for USD ? A few thousand you think?

First time back will be closer to 17,500. I'm not sure they can fit any more in CAS and not get in trouble but I could be wrong. If I am expect 18 plus. Congrats to USD. I for on am happy they will be with SDSU and NDSU in the Summit/MVFC. They will be a great addition to both conferences. Let the good clean fun rivalry of old begin again. By the way, who is that fourth Dakota school again?

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Does USD have a fan forum?

usdfbalum63
November 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Does USD have a fan forum?

http://usdcoyotesports.proboards.com/index.cgi

AmsterBison
November 4th, 2010, 07:12 AM
According to the Missoulian, yes.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/article_8da06c90-e7cf-11df-988e-001cc4c03286.html

Big Sky commissioner Doug Fulerton confirmed late Wednesday night that South Dakota instead accepted an 11th-hour invitation to join the Missouri Valley Conference.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Wow I am shocked that the MVFC couldn't get both North and South Dakota an invite but I guess they saw what was best for the conference. Congrats Yotes and hopefully we can play you guys in the future.

89rabbit
November 4th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Wow I am shocked that the MVFC couldn't get both North and South Dakota an invite but I guess they saw what was best for the conference. Congrats Yotes and hopefully we can play you guys in the future.

Well since your Admin. called off the Summit League site visit two days before it was going to happen, they didn't really give the MVFC a chance now did they?

dmksioux
November 4th, 2010, 08:21 AM
What would have happened if UND waited? Perhaps they would have found out that MVFC was only interested in adding one UxD school...that being USD. Would the Big Sky have offered UND if they knew that USD had the opportunity to stay Summit/MVFC? Am I happy UND is going to the Big Sky without any of the other Dakota's...no. But I'm beginning to think it was about the only option that was going to present itself for our school. Perhaps the Big Sky should have gone after the xDSU's at the same time they went after the UxD's...afterall, Fullerton has been quoted as saying the Big Sky might get to 16 teams before the Pac 10. Bottom line, it's good we are in a conference, but not a nice of a scenario as we were originally thinking, especially if Montana goes FBS.

89rabbit
November 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM
What would have happened if UND waited?

I guess we will never know.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Well since your Admin. called off the Summit League site visit two days before it was going to happen, they didn't really give the MVFC a chance now did they?

The MVFC kept saying we are not going to expand so if we would have said BSC we need to think about this. We would be in the Indy league. Obviously the MVFC wanted USD and not UND (location!!). But whats the chances NDSU moves into the BSC. They no longer have their new rivals (SDSU) USD will be taking over that role. So now NDSU is on the outside just like UND so why not NDSU move into the BSC. I know Bison fans are going to scream we don't need it we are fine where we are etc. But weirder things have happened.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2010, 08:27 AM
What would have happened if UND waited? Perhaps they would have found out that MVFC was only interested in adding one UxD school...that being USD. Would the Big Sky have offered UND if they knew that USD had the opportunity to stay Summit/MVFC? Am I happy UND is going to the Big Sky without any of the other Dakota's...no. But I'm beginning to think it was about the only option that was going to present itself for our school. Perhaps the Big Sky should have gone after the xDSU's at the same time they went after the UxD's...afterall, Fullerton has been quoted as saying the Big Sky might get to 16 teams before the Pac 10. Bottom line, it's good we are in a conference, but not a nice of a scenario as we were originally thinking, especially if Montana goes FBS.

I think part of the reason why UND was in a different situation from USD is that the nickname issue got drug out so long. The Summit made no secret that they weren't going to touch UND until the nickname issue was resolved but by all accounts a Summit invite was imminent once that was done. Since that wasn't a problem with USD they got the ball rolling much earlier and USD was poised to join the Summit much sooner. There's no doubt in my mind that the Summit league members in the MVFC (NDSU, SDSU, and WIU) were very active in getting USD an invite to the MVFC so as not to lose them in the Summit. Had UND been in the same position, I think they would've gotten the same when the Big Sky came calling. xtwocentsx

dmksioux
November 4th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I guess we will never know.

If SDSU was in the same position, a conference invite in hand vs no home for football, what do you feel your administration would have done?

I prefer the Summit/MVFC to the Big Sky...always have. I just don't know that UND had the luxury of waiting around to let it play out and risk not having a home for football.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 08:34 AM
If SDSU was in the same position, a conference invite in hand vs no home for football, what do you feel your administration would have done?

I prefer the Summit/MVFC to the Big Sky...always have. I just don't know that UND had the luxury of waiting around to let it play out and risk not having a home for football.

I think most Sioux fans prefer that. But you wait and you show disrepect. UND could have found themselves in the Indy league, where USD had the Summit as their ace in the hole.

HensRock
November 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM
This really stinks that UND is now so far outside the footprint of the rest of the Big Sky. Also, the BSC now has 13 teams instead of 14. How do you split that up?
I think the best scenario for all concerned is for the BSC allow UND out of their agreement and join the MVFC - that is if the MVFC wants them, whcih I don't know.
Would the MVFC welcome UND if given the chance?

I think such a move would really be in the best long-term interest of both UND and the BSC. (and FCS in general)

Big Cats
November 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM
That will be a fun trip, and I will definitely make it. Gives me an excuse to get even fatter by stopping in at the Filling Station in Davenport and getting the best Buffalo Wings on the planet! Looking forward to some great games.

Stop at the Machine Shed just off I-80 on Northwest Boulevard in Davenport. Farm type atmosphere and food served family style. If you can finish the whole meal you're a better man than me!!

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 08:43 AM
This really stinks that UND is now so far outside the footprint of the rest of the Big Sky. Also, the BSC now has 13 teams instead of 14. How do you split that up?
I think the best scenario for all concerned is for the BSC allow UND out of their agreement and join the MVFC - that is if the MVFC wants them, whcih I don't know.

I think such a move would really be in the best long-term interest of both UND and the BSC. (and FCS in general)

I think the MFVC should allow UND to join. Why keep 3 Dakota schools and not the 4th. Also UND is traditionally a strong football team unlike USD. I just don't get their thinking.

MSUDuo
November 4th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Someone has to planning on leaving the MVFC. There is no good reason to keep expanding like this...

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Someone has to planning on leaving the MVFC. There is no good reason to keep expanding like this...

I am sure one "bison fan" would suggest Indiana State.xlolx

Sycamore51
November 4th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Who would be leaving? I don't see anybody going FBS and the only school completely out of the loop now is YSU, but where would they go? Every other school is either Summit and MVFC or complete MVC. I don't see anybody leaving, but if they did it would have to be YSU don't you think?

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I think the MFVC should allow UND to join. Why keep 3 Dakota schools and not the 4th. Also UND is traditionally a strong football team unlike USD. I just don't get their thinking.
I think the Summit is going to be the tougher egg to crack for UND than the MVFC at this point. I can't imagine that they were thrilled when UND abruptly cancelled the campus visit to join the Big Sky. I'd like to see UND in the Summit and MVFC with the rest of the Dakota schools but as we found out with the NDSU/UND football rivalry is that grudges can last a long time if one or both sides feels jaded. We could end up seeing the same thing with the UND/Summit relationship.

Another option if the Big Sky is willing to cooperate would be to keep UND as a football only member and let them out of their obligation in all the other sports to join the Summit. The Big Sky would probably prefer to have 10 schools in the non-football sports rather than 11 but again, that comes down to whether the Summit is willing (which I hope they would be).

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I think the Summit is going to be the tougher egg to crack for UND than the MVFC at this point. I can't imagine that they were thrilled when UND abruptly cancelled the campus visit to join the Big Sky. I'd like to see UND in the Summit and MVFC with the rest of the Dakota schools but as we found out with the NDSU/UND football rivalry is that grudges can last a long time if one or both sides feels jaded. We could end up seeing the same thing with the UND/Summit relationship.

Another option if the Big Sky is willing to cooperate would be to keep UND as a football only member and let them out of their obligation in all the other sports to join the Summit. The Big Sky would probably prefer to have 10 schools in the non-football sports rather than 11 but again, that comes down to whether the Summit is willing (which I hope they would be).

But Douple has to keep in mind UND didn't have an option to the MVFC which i guess USD did. UND would have been in the Indy/Summit league. If he would have said to join the MVFC/Summit UND would have said no to the Big Sky. But that wasn't an option. And all we heard from the MVFC was NO to expansion.

Redbird Ray
November 4th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I don't think any of the usual suspects are moving up to FBS anytime soon (Ill State, MSU, YSU, SIU, UNI).

I know the recession has hit ISUR's donor base pretty hard, and we had to hault many of our stadium expansion plans and FBS probability studies.

MSU's AD said awhile back (I think August) that they were not interested in a jump.

I don't really think the MAC wants YSU, and I haven't heard any recent interest from YSU in such a move anyway.

SIU and UNI cannot afford a move up right now. UNI is just trying to keep D1 football, and SIU knows they don't have the fanbase or market for FBS football.

biobengal
November 4th, 2010, 09:23 AM
BSC.... you just got played. USD.... well played. UND.... any chance you can go MVFC?

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 09:24 AM
BSC.... you just got played. USD.... well played. UND.... any chance you can go MVFC?

I wish there was.

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM

I don't think we're interested.

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Split into two 5 team divisions, cut down on travel.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I don't think we're interested.

But interested in USD. Still pissed we beat you when we were in D2???xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
It's hard to imagine a scenario that everyone comes out happy. I've got to believe that somehow, some way, another football conference is going to be formed. A thirteen-team Big Sky and a ten team MVC is not going to fly for long.

The trouble is you can't break up the MVC, Big Sky, and a new conference (call it the Summit) in such a way that you get 8/8/7 team conferences. The only way you can possibly make it work is to take on either start-ups or have PFL teams ramp up to schollies - and even that's dicey.

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2010, 09:32 AM
But interested in USD. Still pissed we beat you when we were in D2???xlolx

Whatever makes you feel better. We obviously weren't interested in both a few months ago. Then once UND goes to the Big Sky, we make a move on USD to get to 10 teams.

Redbird Ray
November 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
As for the MVFC conference expansion, I think it's a good thing. If we could get to 12 member schools and get a conference championship game, that would be pretty cool (though maybe detrimental to playoff bids, but still fun). I say invite UND, and make an offer to Eastern Michigan, Bowling Green State, or Ball State. These schools are draining money in the MAC, and I'm sure the Horizon would pick up any of these guys for other sports. BGS has even discussed going down to D2.

If getting a MAC school is out of the question, then I say try to poach EIU back somehow, or maybe go after SEMO, Murray State or EKU.

Of course my dream scenario for a 12th member would be to entice Butler to play 63 schollie football and give them a packaged MVC/MVFC invite. But that's probably pretty far-fetched. If Drake ever wanted to play serious football again, I would love to see them come aboard also.

Big Al
November 4th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Split into two 5 team divisions, cut down on travel.

I see this as the likely scenario, as well. This would help teams cut down on travel cost and I think it will have the added benefit of getting more schools from the conference into the playoffs.

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Can't have a championship game and playoff bid.

Sycamore51
November 4th, 2010, 09:36 AM
As for the MVFC conference expansion, I think it's a good thing. If we could get to 12 member schools and get a conference championship game, that would be pretty cool (though maybe detrimental to playoff bids, but still fun). I say invite UND, and make an offer to Eastern Michigan, Bowling Green State, or Ball State. These schools are draining money in the MAC, and I'm sure the Horizon would pick up any of these guys for other sports. BGS has even discussed going down to D2.

If getting a MAC school is out of the question, then I say try to poach EIU back somehow, or maybe go after SEMO, Murray State or EKU.

Of course my dream scenario for a 12th member would be to entice Butler to play 63 schollie football and give them a packaged MVC/MVFC invite. But that's probably pretty far-fetched. If Drake ever wanted to play serious football again, I would love to see them come aboard also.

I know many INST fans would love to have Ball Sack U. in our football conference. That would give us a great and hated rival, and we don't have one right now.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I know many INST fans would love to have Ball Sack U. in our football conference. That would give us a great and hated rival, and we don't have one right now.

Could have had UND and Ball sack I mean Ball State...but at least the fans are thinking for the future not just what is good now. And i guess South Dakota is your answer.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM
We are negotiating with South Dakota,’’ Fullerton said. “They want to be part of the Big Sky Conference and we want them to be a member. They are just awaiting a final approval process. Approval processes are different at each school.’’
The big key is they want to be part of the BSC. Who changed their minds?? SDBOR? Commish Patty of the MVFC? Or were they lying to the BSC all along.

Redbird Ray
November 4th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Other options for a 12th member:

Grand Valley State - Is it time to finally go after them? This would piss off the other Michigan schools, but I really couldn't care less about that.

Northern Kentucky - D2 school rumored to be interested in football and a D1 move up. They already have a really nice bball arena, and I bet they would build an awesome FCS style football venue.

Drake, Valpo, Dayton - ask them if there's any interest in playing real D1 football? Can package with a MVC deal if necessary. I'm sure our bball only brethern wouldn't mind including these guys.

Nebraska-Omaha - rumored to be interested in D1 move up. MVFC would fit perfectly. Plus, Trev Alberts didn't go there to be an AD at a D2 school.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Grand Valley State - Is it time to finally go after them? This would piss off the other Michigan schools, but I really couldn't care less about that.

Northern Kentucky - D2 school rumored to be interested in football and a D1 move up. They already have a really nice bball arena, and I bet they would build an awesome FCS style football venue.

Drake, Valpo, Dayton - ask them if there's any interest in playing real D1 football? Can package with a MVC deal if necessary. I'm sure our bball only brethern wouldn't mind including these guys.

Nebraska-Omaha - rumored to be interested in D1 move up. MVFC would fit perfectly. Plus, Trev Alberts didn't go there to be an AD at a D2 school.

UND may try to get them in the BSC.

Redbird Ray
November 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Can't have a championship game and playoff bid.

If there was TV interest (ESPN2/U), and a bunch of conferences doing the same, this rule would change very quickly. But for now, you're right.

biobengal
November 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
The big key is they want to be part of the BSC. Who changed their minds?? SDBOR? Commish Patty of the MVFC? Or were they lying to the BSC all along.

I don't think they changed their minds, they knew what they were doing. The BSC was used as leverage to get into the MVFC, a much better situation for all the Dakota schools. Unfortunately, there are now few good options for UND and the BSC: UND was added with the promise of USD.

Sycamore51
November 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM

No, No, Maybe, NO, Maybe, No.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I don't think they changed their minds, they knew what they were doing. The BSC was used as leverage to get into the MVFC, a much better situation for all the Dakota schools. Unfortunately, there are now few good options for UND and the BSC: UND was added with the promise of USD.

Dirty politcs from our neighbors to the south.

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Dirty politcs from our neighbors to the south.

It's only dirty if you can prove this was their plan all along. How do you know that they weren't approached after UND signed and they were trying to get the regents to sign off?

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 10:05 AM
It's only dirty if you can prove this was their plan all along. How do you know that they weren't approached after UND signed and they were trying to get the regents to sign off?

We are negotiating with South Dakota,’’ Fullerton said. “They want to be part of the Big Sky Conference and we want them to be a member. They are just awaiting a final approval process. Approval processes are different at each school.’’

Sycamore51
November 4th, 2010, 10:05 AM
It's like getting ready to go out with the ugly girl down the street, only on your way to pick her up the hot girl in town asks you to go out instead. Maybe it's not the christian thing to do, but who can blame you!

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 10:07 AM

They should say take UND too. UND-USD in the BSC was a packaged deal. So was going D1. Or else this looks like dirty politics.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
It's like getting ready to go out with the ugly girl down the street, only on your way to pick her up the hot girl in town asks you to go out instead. Maybe it's not the christian thing to do, but who can blame you!

Just remember what goes around comes around. This could blow up in USD's face.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM
As a somewhat unbiased outsider, going to the press with "The contract is awaiting signature" seems like a strong-arm move that backfired by the Big Sky. I'm guessing that the assumption was all along that UND was the one that wanted nothing to do with the Summit and wanted some other option, and USD would just go along for the ride. But UND and USD are not tied together as strongly as even NDSU/SDSU are.

UND had no ties to the Summit, didn't want ties to the Summit (since NDSU was there), so probably went to the Big Sky, perhaps even promising that they could secure USD in the bargain.

But USD's situation was different. They were already headed to the Summit in 2011, and wanted to get their rivalry back with SDSU an awful lot. They'd also have an exit fee, too.

The only holdup was football - and with UND committing to the Big Sky, the remaining roadblocks to MVC membership were finally removed (since NDSU is mutual in their hatred of UND).

When you look at it that way, perhaps it's not so surprising.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Just remember what goes around comes around. This could blow up in USD's face.

I find that highly unlikely. USD is getting what they want, Summit in all sports except football, MVC football with SDSU, and travel costs down. UND is now the Eastern outpost of the Big Sky, has to pay to fly all their teams to Cali, Pocatello, Idaho and Portland, Oregon for everything, and arguably could be playing a worse brand of football than USD, especially if Montana leaves. I think UND's the one with creosote on their face, not USD.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
As a somewhat unbiased outsider, going to the press with "The contract is awaiting signature" seems like a strong-arm move that backfired by the Big Sky. I'm guessing that the assumption was all along that UND was the one that wanted nothing to do with the Summit and wanted some other option, and USD would just go along for the ride. But UND and USD are not tied together as strongly as even NDSU/SDSU are.

UND had no ties to the Summit, didn't want ties to the Summit (since NDSU was there), so probably went to the Big Sky, perhaps even promising that they could secure USD in the bargain.

But USD's situation was different. They were already headed to the Summit in 2011, and wanted to get their rivalry back with SDSU an awful lot.

The only holdup was football - and with UND committing to the Big Sky, the remaining roadblocks to MVC membership were finally removed (since NDSU is mutual in their hatred of UND).

As an unbiased outsider you are way off. First UND couldn't get into the Summit at first because they didn't want UND with their nickname issue "unsettled" not because of NDSU. Second UND blew off the Summit because the Big Sky offered full sports membership not just a football only which if they would have done that UND would be in the Summit today. But since there was no offer from the MVFC UND had no choice end up in the Independant league or the BSC. And USD cut some backroom deal with the MVFC and got in and left UND out to dry. USD was tight with UND as UND announced it was going D1 USD went as well. USD could have said no we are staying D2, but went with their bigger cousin UND. So that brings us to today. USD is in the MVFC and we are in the BSC.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I find that highly unlikely. USD is getting what they want, Summit in all sports except football, MVC football with SDSU, and travel costs down. UND is now the Eastern outpost of the Big Sky, has to pay to fly all their teams to Cali, Pocatello, Idaho and Portland, Oregon for everything, and arguably could be playing a worse brand of football than USD, especially if Montana leaves. I think UND's the one with creosote on their face, not USD.

UND is left with a knife in their back made in Vermillion. UND wanted MVC in football and Summit in all other sports but obviously wasn't an option.

biobengal
November 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM

But USD's situation was different. They were already headed to the Summit in 2011, and wanted to get their rivalry back with SDSU an awful lot. They'd also have an exit fee, too.

If this is the way it actually happened, Fullerton should be let go for misrepresenting USD's intentions to the Big Sky presidents.

mksioux
November 4th, 2010, 10:23 AM

But USD's situation was different. They were already headed to the Summit in 2011, and wanted to get their rivalry back with SDSU an awful lot.

You are inaccurate when you say UND wanted no part of the Summit. UND and USD both applied to the Summit at the same time. The Summit refused to act on UND's application until UND's nickname issue was "resolved" (i.e. dropped). They admitted USD in the meantime. UND moved up the timeline on dropping the nickname for the sole purpose of trying to get in the Summit. UND preferred the Summit and MVFC for football. The only problem is the MVFC repeatedly told UND they were not expanding. UND had to have a home for football, so once the Big Sky invitation came along (somewhat unexpectedly), UND accepted, thinking USD was coming along with UND and just needed to take care of some formalities.

The reality is that UND and the Big Sky got schooled by USD and the Summit. UND will be the butt of some jokes for a while and the fact that UND was the only Dakota school not wanted by the MVFC will sting for a while. I think UND just needs to lick its wounds, hold its head high, and try to make the best of the situation. Although anyone can see UND is clearly not in an ideal situation. And I'm sure the Big Sky would want to get rid of UND if it could.

bincitysioux
November 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM
UND-USD in the BSC was a packaged deal. So was going D1.

They have never been a package deal in any way during any part of this transition. They have not worked closely together really in any part of the Division I process. NDSU and SDSU are the ones that really seemed to chain themselves together, and just because they did does not mean that the UxD's did the same.

Originally UNC, NDSU, SDSU, and USD voted in favor of taking the whole NCC to DI. UND did not.

UND later announced their move to DI without USD, which reacted and followed.

USD "joined" the Summit 18 months before UND was ever even afforded the opportunity to submit an application for membership.

The two have never worked in lock-step with one another like the xDSU's have.

And in the end, everyone got what they wanted: conference affiliation.

Maybe this was the masterplan............remember earlier this summer, the newspapers reported that the Big Sky, the Summit, and the MVFC commissioners were all surveying the landscape and were potentially going to work with one another to try to stabilize the FCS in the west? Well it looks like that is what happened. Looks like every team in the west is going to have access to the post-season.

xhurrayx

cpalum
November 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM
why do I suddenly feel like we actually did join the WAC xeyebrowx

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 10:31 AM
You are inaccurate when you say UND wanted no part of the Summit. UND and USD both applied to the Summit at the same time. The Summit refused to act on UND's application until UND's nickname issue was "resolved" (i.e. dropped). They admitted USD in the meantime. UND moved up the timeline on dropping the nickname for the sole purpose of trying to get in the Summit. UND preferred the Summit and MVFC for football. The only problem is the MVFC repeatedly told UND they were not expanding. UND had to have a home for football, so once the Big Sky invitation came along (somewhat unexpectedly), UND accepted, thinking USD was coming along with UND and just needed to take care of some formalities.

The reality is that UND and the Big Sky got schooled by USD and the Summit. UND will be the butt of some jokes for a while and the fact that UND was the only Dakota school not wanted by the MVFC will sting for a while. I think UND just needs to lick its wounds, hold its head high, and try to make the best of the situation. Although anyone can see UND is clearly not in an ideal situation. And I'm sure the Big Sky would want to get rid of UND if it could.

We are the outsiders and we can take this and turn it into positive energy especially when we play USD in bball and football for this and next year in bball and in 2011 in football. We can try to make an impact on our new conference foes and show them that we come to play 100%. We don't need USD, and after this we don't want them.

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM

Right, they wanted to be, but then got a better offer.

TokyoGriz
November 4th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Right, they wanted to be, but then got a better offer.

Welcome to the College Football Conference Rodeo UND!

TokyoGriz
November 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Maybe this was the masterplan............remember earlier this summer, the newspapers reported that the Big Sky, the Summit, and the MVFC commissioners were all surveying the landscape and were potentially going to work with one another to try to stabilize the FCS in the west? Well it looks like that is what happened. Looks like every team in the west is going to have access to the post-season.

xhurrayx

Lol What?

Not for the teams in the big sky this wasnt! UND is like a lead weight around the neck of the remaining Big Sky conference with a huge price tag attached to it in travel expenses for everyone.

mksioux
November 4th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Lol What?

Not for the teams in the big sky this wasnt! UND is like a lead weight around the neck of the remaining Big Sky conference with a huge price tag attached to it in travel expenses for everyone.
Right, this was absolutely no master plan. This was Fullerton getting schooled by Tom Douple and USD. UND and USD were presented to the Big Sky Presidents as a package deal. Fullerton should have a fun time explaining this one to the Presidents.

It's not always fun to come to a party where you're not really welcome. BUT HERE WE ARE BIG SKY!! xlolx

BelgradeBobcat
November 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM

I think we're being a little over dramatic. So our basketball teams miss out on that scenic drive between Vermillon and Grand Forks in the middle of winter. It's not the end of the world. North Dakota is a great addition to the Big Sky. I'm looking forward to it.

greenG
November 4th, 2010, 11:44 AM

So far this year, Eastern Michigan has made $1.8 million for it's athletic department, that's before ticket sales, public contributions, and corporate support. There is no money drain, no moving down to FCS and no MVFC membership for the Eagles. We'll see ISU in the MAC first.

TokyoGriz
November 4th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I think we're being a little over dramatic. So our basketball teams miss out on that scenic drive between Vermillon and Grand Forks in the middle of winter. It's not the end of the world. North Dakota is a great addition to the Big Sky. I'm looking forward to it.

Not so sure the California Schools feel the same there Partner. Bet the Tickets a bit more from their end of the map.

MSUDuo
November 4th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Who would be leaving? I don't see anybody going FBS and the only school completely out of the loop now is YSU, but where would they go? Every other school is either Summit and MVFC or complete MVC. I don't see anybody leaving, but if they did it would have to be YSU don't you think?

Well, if 'Nova goes to the Big East, the CAA would be a better fit for YSU. So yes, it would have to be YSU

Im not sure how much the MVFC wants to add football only schools. Yes, I know it is entirely separate from the Valley in other sports but at some point, the non-football schools may split and I for one don't want to be stuck in a conference with the Dakota schools in all sports.

Dane96
November 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Fordham, Albany, Stony Brook....all schools the CAA would look to before YSU.

greenG
November 4th, 2010, 11:54 AM

GVSU has said repeatedly that it is not moving to D-I. (http://www.gvsulakers.com/links/qatimselgo.html) Should it do so, it wouldn't piss off anyone in Michigan.

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Well, if 'Nova goes to the Big East, the CAA would be a better fit for YSU. So yes, it would have to be YSU

Im not sure how much the MVFC wants to add football only schools. Yes, I know it is entirely separate from the Valley in other sports but at some point, the non-football schools may split and I for one don't want to be stuck in a conference with the Dakota schools in all sports.

Why would the CAA be a better fit for YSU?

And I don't see any problem with having a 10 team MVFC. The MVC is a 10 team conference.

MSUDuo
November 4th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Why would the CAA be a better fit for YSU?

And I don't see any problem with having a 10 team MVFC. The MVC is a 10 team conference.

Why wouldn't the CAA be a better fit? They would be a perfect replacement for 'Nova in terms of tradition and location for CAA. Don't know if they would be a football only school or what though.

There is no problem with being 10 teams. But if the non-football schools split down the road, I would think that the football only schools would be invited to fill their spots in the MVC. Other than for football, a conference of UNI, MSU, ISU, ISU, SIU, and the Dakota schools is not exactly up to par with the current Valley for basketball, baseball, WBB, VB, etc. Granted, I don't know a whole lot of the Dakota programs outside of WBB(SDSU)

RabidRabbit
November 4th, 2010, 12:22 PM
UND may have really set back their opportunity to pursue the MVFC, when they spurned the Summit interview team. Two days, that's all the time that UND needed to provide. Have those behind-closed-door discussions that would have allowed Douple, and the other Summit interviewers the opportunity to make the case why a Summit invite, then a MVFC invite would have happened.

The process was almost identical to that used by the Summit and Gateway conferences in bringing over SDSU/NDSU to the conference.

Do the UND fans feel a bit like the "THE PRICE IS RIGHT" contestant who took the first choice available, only to see the better option in the next showcase? :p

WELCOME USD!!!! A GREAT ADDITION TO THE SUMMIT/MVFC! xhurrayxxhurrayx

Sycamore51
November 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM
So far this year, Eastern Michigan has made $1.8 million for it's athletic department, that's before ticket sales, public contributions, and corporate support. There is no money drain, no moving down to FCS and no MVFC membership for the Eagles. We'll see ISU in the MAC first.
Do you mean YSU, or one of the ISUs?

Go Bison
November 4th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Love "The Price is Right" reference! Good stuff!

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 12:41 PM
How far is Youngstown, Ohio from the closest football playing CAA school? How far is YSU from the closest football MVFC member?

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Love "The Price is Right" reference! Good stuff!

More like lets make a deal. We got box #1 and USD took the curtain.

IaaScribe
November 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM
YSU is 295 miles from Harrisonburg, Va. and 353 from Villanova, Pa.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Youngstown is 424 miles from In State U. BTW Fargo's closest MVFC member is 190 miles away in Brookings.

Sycamore51
November 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
YSU is 295 miles from Harrisonburg, Va. and 353 from Villanova, Pa.
Youngstown is 428 miles from Terre Haute, IN and 508 miles from Normal, IL. Those are the two closest schools, both of the ISU's.

Sycamore51
November 4th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Youngstown is 428 miles from Terre Haute, IN and 508 miles from Normal, IL. Those are the two closest schools, both of the ISU's.

Not to mention the 1,000+ to both NDSU and SDSU, now throw USD on that too!

Redbird Ray
November 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM

While I'll admit the scenario of a MAC team moving down to FCS is unlikely, I wouldn't say Eastern Michigan is rolling in dough at their level either. I don't know where the 1.8 million figure comes from, but I do know EMU has no ticket sales, public contributions or corporate support. All of their attendance figures are based upon tickets distributed to local vendors (AKA, given away for free to comply with NCAA attendance qualifications), and they have been an embarassment for the MAC in numerous aspects for the better part of two decades now.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Not to mention the 1,000+ to both NDSU and SDSU, now throw USD on that too!

Since Vermillion has no airport you will fly into Sioux Falls then bus the extra 63 miles to Vermillion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermillion,_SD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_South_Dakota
A little info on your new conference mate.

Redbird Ray
November 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM
GVSU has said repeatedly that it is not moving to D-I. (http://www.gvsulakers.com/links/qatimselgo.html) Should it do so, it wouldn't piss off anyone in Michigan.

Totally speculation on my part, and if GVSU is happy at D2, then that's great for them. But even at the FCS level, it would irk the directional michigans to have GVSU poaching recruits and stealing potential fans/donors. Just check out a WMU/CMU/EMU message board sometime, and see how uptight and paranoid they are already about GVSU. It will surprise you. Yeah, the Big Ten schools wouldn't care at all, but the directionals would take notice, big time.

BelgradeBobcat
November 4th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Not so sure the California Schools feel the same there Partner. Bet the Tickets a bit more from their end of the map.

So the California schools losing a trip to South Dakota once in a few seasons is a good thing...right? The Montana schools will have to take their football teams to North Dakota once every other season-but probably won't have to go to Flagstaff as often. An annual trip for basketball teams and volleyball teams to Northern Colorado and North Dakota won't be cheap-but look where our teams are traveling for non-conference games now. MSU's Volleyball team went all the way to the East Coast for an early season tournament. Our teams go all over the place anyway. Besides-you want to join a league with trips to Louisiana, Texas, and Hawaii-going to Grand Forks will be good practice.

Gil Dobie
November 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Good for USD, after the way Fullerton played with the XDSU's.

The Coyote's have come home to roost. ;)

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Its now offical!!

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/news/release.asp?release_id=6016

89rabbit
November 4th, 2010, 01:39 PM
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20101104/UPDATES/101104029

USD officially joins Missouri Valley Football Conference

The University of South Dakota announced today that it has accepted an invitation to join the Missouri Valley Football Conference beginning in 2012-13.

“I am excited to accept this offer extended to South Dakota from the Missouri Valley Football Conference,” USD president Jim Abbott said. “Throughout the Division I transition, we have worked to extend USD’s footprint and by joining the MVFC we are continuing that. This move is the most appealing to us because of renewed rivalries, reduction of student-athlete travel time and more cost efficient travel.” . . . (read more)

PantherRob82
November 4th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Two days, that's all the time that UND needed to provide. Have those behind-closed-door discussions that would have allowed Douple, and the other Summit interviewers the opportunity to make the case why a Summit invite, then a MVFC invite would have happened.

The process was almost identical to that used by the Summit and Gateway conferences in bringing over SDSU/NDSU to the conference.

Do the UND fans feel a bit like the "THE PRICE IS RIGHT" contestant who took the first choice available, only to see the better option in the next showcase? :p

WELCOME USD!!!! A GREAT ADDITION TO THE SUMMIT/MVFC! xhurrayxxhurrayx

I don't think UND was ever going to get the invite. I don't think we wanted 2 teams, but when UND found a home, we could take USD to get to 10.

RabidRabbit
November 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Some of the discussion has been how in lockstep has UND/USD been, does it close in on the NDSU/SDSU approach?

Review would indicate, no, the UxD's were nearly as close. USD basically found themselves with no option but to move to D-I, if they wanted to play with their "peers", and what was left of the formerly tough NCC after the xDSU's, UND, UNC, and UNI left, wasn't their peers.

UND made their own decision of when to move, that suited their interests. They have always felt a bit more D-I, because of the success of their hockey program. UND is the northern most of the 4 Dakota schools, wasn't already invited to the Summit, and apparently were feeling desperate to solve all their issues.

NDSU/SDSU fought hard for each other, and always made certain the other school was involved. There isn't a sport that both share that NDSU/SDSU are not in the same league. There is 90+ year history of these two land-grant universities. Virtually identical size, agricultural/engineering school, these are near mirror image schools. NDSU/SDSU have been incredibly supportive of the other, and there is an intense, but, friendly rivarly. Unlike some rivarlies, where the fans are against the other team, and for whoever their opponent is, generally, Jacks/Bison fans are pulling for the other's team, if their own team isn't involved. USD/UND didn't have that back in the NCC days, and only sort of had it in the D-I era because they had the NDSU/SDSU role model to follow.

USD/UND while they have similar functions and classes, are very different, especially size wise. They are also at the northern and southern extremes of each state, so, going to one, then the other for other sports is a 6.5-7 hour trip rather than 3 hour trip between Brookings and Fargo.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Some of the discussion has been how in lockstep has UND/USD been, does it close in on the NDSU/SDSU approach?

Review would indicate, no, the UxD's were nearly as close. USD basically found themselves with no option but to move to D-I, if they wanted to play with their "peers", and what was left of the formerly tough NCC after the xDSU's, UND, UNC, and UNI left, wasn't their peers.

UND made their own decision of when to move, that suited their interests. They have always felt a bit more D-I, because of the success of their hockey program. UND is the northern most of the 4 Dakota schools, wasn't already invited to the Summit, and apparently were feeling desperate to solve all their issues.

NDSU/SDSU fought hard for each other, and always made certain the other school was involved. There isn't a sport that both share that NDSU/SDSU are not in the same league. There is 90+ year history of these two land-grant universities. Virtually identical size, agricultural/engineering school, these are near mirror image schools. NDSU/SDSU have been incredibly supportive of the other, and there is an intense, but, friendly rivarly. Unlike some rivarlies, where the fans are against the other team, and for whoever their opponent is, generally, Jacks/Bison fans are pulling for the other's team, if their own team isn't involved. USD/UND didn't have that back in the NCC days, and only sort of had it in the D-I era because they had the NDSU/SDSU role model to follow.

USD/UND while they have similar functions and classes, are very different, especially size wise. They are also at the northern and southern extremes of each state, so, going to one, then the other for other sports is a 6.5-7 hour trip rather than 3 hour trip between Brookings and Fargo.

But we did share one goal which USD did get to do that was rejoin the XDSU's in the MVFC. But maybe someday UND will be there but we are going to be in a AQ league and we are going to make the best of it. I just hope we don't stop scheduling the other Dakota teams. It would be nice to see a familar face.

BelgradeBobcat
November 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I just hope we don't stop scheduling the other Dakota teams. It would be nice to see a familar face.

That's the best way to mitigate the Big Sky's higher travel costs.

Speaking of familiar faces: Montana State played UND 29 times between 1948 and 1983 (35 years). It will be terrific having them back on the schedule.

This is one fan that's very excited about having UND in the Big Sky Conference!

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM
That's the best way to mitigate the Big Sky's higher travel costs.

Speaking of familiar faces: Montana State played UND 29 times between 1948 and 1983 (35 years). It will be terrific having them back on the schedule.

This is one fan that's very excited about having UND in the Big Sky Conference!

And are excited to see you, Montana, and UNC back on the schedule.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?77805-UND-vs-Big-Sky-Opponents

We are 13-14-1 vs MSU

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205024887

UND's response to USD's move to stay in the Summit.

"We will continue to work closely with the University of South Dakota, as well as North Dakota State and South Dakota State, to continue and renew our great rivalries. Our goal in scheduling is to give our student-athletes the best competitive experience and bring great teams to Grand Forks for our students, alumni and fans."

Green Laser
November 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM
North Dakota for football is not really a problem as long as the California schools play each other every year in conference and rotate the rest of the schools. The problem that I see for Sac State is the unnecessary travel for other sports. While Poly and davis go back the all California Big West for the other sports we are stuck traveling all over the country. Why not release Sac State to the Big West for the other sports? North Dakota could then take our place in the WAC for baseball.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM
North Dakota for football is not really a problem as long as the California schools play each other every year in conference and rotate the rest of the schools. The problem that I see for Sac State is the unnecessary travel for other sports. While Poly and davis go back the all California Big West for the other sports we are stuck traveling all over the country. Why not release Sac State to the Big West for the other sports? North Dakota could then take our place in the WAC for baseball.

Tell our former AD Terry Wanless to get that done.

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM

That won't be an issue because Sac St is going to the WAC. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Green Laser
November 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Tell our former AD Terry Wanless to get that done.

Unfortunately I don't think it's up to Dr. Wanless. I doubt that Fullerton would agree to give up the Big Sky's presence in California for the other sports.

89rabbit
November 4th, 2010, 04:34 PM
This ought to get some UND fans a little upset, from the Argus Leader Sports Editor:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3a5ebfd4aa-734f-4410-99de-f067519d02bf&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 04:40 PM
This ought to get some UND fans a little upset

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=dbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b&plckPostId=Blog%3adbffa21ed5344e65ad3bc7b5b358a54b Post%3a5ebfd4aa-734f-4410-99de-f067519d02bf&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

That guy is a total douchebag. Especially this quote.

North Dakota, of course, took the plunge by hastily joining the Big Sky Conference along with Southern Utah earlier this week, and the negative consequences from that decision will likely be felt in Grand Forks for decades to come. But that’s their problem.

Seriously? Decades? And if we win the BSC and get into the playoffs in football or the big dance what is so negative about that.

89rabbit
November 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
He has been, and is unpopular on our board too.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
He has been and is unpopular on our board.

How does he know if UND will be in the BSC for decades? We could be FBS bound or in the MVFC. In this new era of switching conferences and even divisions you never know where you will end up.

mksioux
November 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
This ought to get some UND fans a little upset, from the Argus Leader Sports Editor:

Wow, that is some GRADE-A Spin.

OrygunBison
November 4th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I love how UND will turn this story into how they were the victim of some other school....again. They will - again - blame someone else for their misfortunes and for busting up a rivalry. To UND, they were completely taken by surprise...they played no part in the debacle. USD should have led them to the promised land...or rather followed UND to the promise land.

darell1976
November 4th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I love how UND will turn this story into how they were the victim of some other school....again. They will - again - blame someone else for their misfortunes and for busting up a rivalry. To UND, they were completely taken by surprise...they played no part in the debacle. USD should have led them to the promised land...or rather followed UND to the promise land.

UND didn't get a chance to go to the MVFC as somehow they wanted 1 team and USD was going to be that team no matter what, while UND was going WITH USD into the BSC. So actually USD did break up the UND-USD rival in football. But see it as you want.

TokyoGriz
November 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM
So the California schools losing a trip to South Dakota once in a few seasons is a good thing...right? The Montana schools will have to take their football teams to North Dakota once every other season-but probably won't have to go to Flagstaff as often. An annual trip for basketball teams and volleyball teams to Northern Colorado and North Dakota won't be cheap-but look where our teams are traveling for non-conference games now. MSU's Volleyball team went all the way to the East Coast for an early season tournament. Our teams go all over the place anyway. Besides-you want to join a league with trips to Louisiana, Texas, and Hawaii-going to Grand Forks will be good practice.

And we would actually have new sources of revenue to pay for those trips. Problem is SUU and UND add no revenue only costs to the current Big Sky.

Evolution Prime
November 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Looks like UND might have jumped the gun at bit. It looks like they rushed things a bit. A Summit League offer, I believe, was basically a done deal. All the Summit League wanted to do was their formal process of offering. I'm sure a MVFC invite would have followed shortly there after since Cal Poly and UC Davis were headed to the Big Sky for football and likely SUU to follow shortly there after (as was seen last week). Now they are in a conference with no real rivalries (No. Colo if you want to count that from the NCC days) and no real close conference games. Plus they have the Montana schools possibility of leaving in the near future hanging over that conference. Instead, they go ahead and cancel the Summit League visit and jump at the first offer they got without thinking thinking and seeing how things played out. They look like the oddball of the bunch in the Big Sky instead of forming the new backbone of the Summit League. Poor decision by them.

mksioux
November 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Looks like UND might have jumped the gun at bit. It looks like they rushed things a bit. A Summit League offer, I believe, was basically a done deal. All the Summit League wanted to do was their formal process of offering. I'm sure a MVFC invite would have followed shortly there after since Cal Poly and UC Davis were headed to the Big Sky for football and likely SUU to follow shortly there after (as was seen last week). Now they are in a conference with no real rivalries (No. Colo if you want to count that from the NCC days) and no real close conference games. Plus they have the Montana schools possibility of leaving in the near future hanging over that conference. Instead, they go ahead and cancel the Summit League visit and jump at the first offer they got without thinking thinking and seeing how things played out. They look like the oddball of the bunch in the Big Sky instead of forming the new backbone of the Summit League. Poor decision by them.
This entire post assumes the MVFC would have taken in UND if UND had held out. From what I'm hearing, there is no way the MVFC was going to take more than one school. If anything, UND holding out may have forced USD into the Big Sky with us.

mksioux
November 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
USD admin was pretty unseemly in this whole deal, but I wouldn't say UND is a victim, nor is USD the reason we're not in the MVFC. USD played the game better than UND and ultimately got what it wanted. But let me ask, setting aside past grievances, why all the hostility toward UND? At the end of the day, UND very much wanted into the MVFC, but was denied. UND is now in the Big Sky by itself, with no rivals, with the Montana uncertainty hanging over the entire conference, and with no chance of getting back with its Dakota peers in the foreseeable future. And it all stems from the fact that the MVFC wanted no part of UND. You should be ecstatic. UND is publicly rebuked by your conference and NDSU still does not have to play UND. Not a victim per se, but I'm not really sure what UND did wrong in this whole thing or what part UND played in the debacle.

Evolution Prime
November 4th, 2010, 06:09 PM
This entire post assumes the MVFC would have taken in UND if UND had held out. From what I'm hearing, there is no way the MVFC was going to take more than one school. If anything, UND holding out may have forced USD into the Big Sky with us.

UND still didn't even let the Summit League do their site visit. It was all but a done deal that UND was getting into the Summit, just the formalities remained. As for the MVFC, you still had time to try and negotiate or other forms of lobbying. It was obvious that the Big Sky was shotgunning their approach expanding by inviting anthing out "west" that moved. I doubt the MVFC would let that go unnoticed and unchallenged. You took the first offer and blew your load. Now UND is hanging out in the wind. At the very least, wait for USD is ready to sign on the dotted line. SUU was going to snatch their initation up no matter what.

slostang
November 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
UND still didn't even let the Summit League do their site visit. It was all but a done deal that UND was getting into the Summit, just the formalities remained. As for the MVFC, you still had time to try and negotiate or other forms of lobbying. It was obvious that the Big Sky was shotgunning their approach expanding by inviting anthing out "west" that moved. I doubt the MVFC would let that go unnoticed and unchallenged. You took the first offer and blew your load. Now UND is hanging out in the wind. At the very least, wait for USD is ready to sign on the dotted line. SUU was going to snatch their initation up no matter what.

UND may may or may not be in the best place, but they are far from hanging out in the wind. The MVFC is on equal ground as the Big Sky in football, but I would rather have my other sports in the Big Sky then the Summit. IUPUI, UMKC, Oakland, Centenary and IPFW who????? The only real loss for UND is that there most likely rivals (the other 3 Dakota's) are in another conference but they can still play in the OOC. I think that UND can sell this as a positive. Who knows if USD did not have a huge exit fee from the Summit they may have still gone to the Big Sky. It is funny to me how high SDSU and NDSU were on the Big Sky when they thought they were headed there and how they are slamming it now that UND is there.

Gil Dobie
November 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM
UND, Montana & Montana St to the WAC ;)

kab
November 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM

if you want to fly to the big sky go to UND, if you want to shear sheep go to the a.c.

slostang
November 4th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Nah, just Montana.

Evolution Prime
November 4th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I meant they are out in BFE compared to the rest of the Big Sky when I said hanging in the wind.

The reason we were high on the Big Sky was we pretty much had no options in conferences. UND was in the Great West Scheduling Alliance, was basically going to be offered the Summitt gig, and the BSC was interested. We see now how much it really wasn't the right fit for us the way things turned out. I'm not saying the Big Sky isn't a bad or horrible conference and don't mean to sound like I'm slamming it. It is just that it would be a burden for the Dakota schools financially. It will be a bit more amplified with only UND being apart of it as no one in the BSC is close to them. Maybe it will work out for them.

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM
But, did the Big Sky force UND to make a decision? Did the Big Sky say we need an answer now or else we are pulling the invitation off the table?

UND was a no brainer for the Summit. But would they have gotten the MVFC invite?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the MV, USD.

UND's travel costs will be a lot bigger burden now that they are in the BSC. They have a home for their sports but have to fly to every school....no bus trips.

Flights for MMB,WBB,CC,T&F,VB,S&D,FB,SB....all sports.....huge expense.

Good luck to them.

biobengal
November 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
UND may may or may not be in the best place, but they are far from hanging out in the wind. The MVFC is on equal ground as the Big Sky in football, but I would rather have my other sports in the Big Sky then the Summit. IUPUI, UMKC, Oakland, Centenary and IPFW who?????

Pronounced Eye-you-pooh-eee according to an Indiana friend. No doubt, terrible names, Indianapolis State and Fort Wayne State would be serviceable alternatives. Frankly, I don't get all the love that is showered on the Summit League by the directional Dakota States.

LeeshaJo
November 4th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Since Vermillion has no airport you will fly into Sioux Falls then bus the extra 63 miles to Vermillion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermillion,_SD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_South_Dakota
A little info on your new conference mate.

Or Sioux City and 20 miles

SalukiJim
November 5th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Pronounced Eye-you-pooh-eee according to an Indiana friend. No doubt, terrible names, Indianapolis State and Fort Wayne State would be serviceable alternatives. Frankly, I don't get all the love that is showered on the Summit League by the directional Dakota States.

My bro from Indiana says they call it "ooey pooey" :P

Sycamore51
November 5th, 2010, 06:56 AM
My bro from Indiana says they call it "ooey pooey" :P

This is correct. I think the Summit has better basketball than Big Sky. The Dakota schools are in a basketball league, and a full out football league. I think for the location of the Dakota schools, the only thing that would be better than a Summit/MVFC combo would be full out MVC.

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I meant they are out in BFE compared to the rest of the Big Sky when I said hanging in the wind.

The reason we were high on the Big Sky was we pretty much had no options in conferences. UND was in the Great West Scheduling Alliance, was basically going to be offered the Summitt gig, and the BSC was interested. We see now how much it really wasn't the right fit for us the way things turned out. I'm not saying the Big Sky isn't a bad or horrible conference and don't mean to sound like I'm slamming it. It is just that it would be a burden for the Dakota schools financially. It will be a bit more amplified with only UND being apart of it as no one in the BSC is close to them. Maybe it will work out for them.

UND's options:

1. Indy League/Summit
2. Big Sky Conference

You choose

USD options

1. BSC
2. MVFC* /Summit

*Only 1 Dakota team may enter and it is not North Dakota-Commish Patty.

As for flying to all our games, what do think we do now in the GWC? We fly to Texas, we fly to New Jersey. Football too except for USD we fly to all our games. As long as the funds are there flying won't be a problem.

biobengal
November 5th, 2010, 08:07 AM
This is correct. I think the Summit has better basketball than Big Sky. The Dakota schools are in a basketball league, and a full out football league. I think for the location of the Dakota schools, the only thing that would be better than a Summit/MVFC combo would be full out MVC.

By what objective standards? Sagarin's ratings would say otherwise. Regardless, they are both one-bid leagues. With time, I think you will see all the Dakotas in a merged all-sports MVC.

TokyoGriz
November 5th, 2010, 08:09 AM
The Big Sky Conference isnt so bad for UND since they loaded with oil revenues as it is bad for the rest of the Big Sky.

If UND offered to offset some of the travel costs it would go a long ways in appeasing some teams Im sure.

Montana is not one of those teams however. I doubt we will get to play UND as conference mates so this entire issue wont really affect us.

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 08:19 AM
The Big Sky Conference isnt so bad for UND since they loaded with oil revenues as it is bad for the rest of the Big Sky.

If UND offered to offset some of the travel costs it would go a long ways in appeasing some teams Im sure.
Montana is not one of those teams however. I doubt we will get to play UND as conference mates so this entire issue wont really affect us.

You want UND to pay teams to play them??

89rabbit
November 5th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Here is more news from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20101105/SPORTS0203/11050332/1002/sports

Abrupt turn leads USD to Valley football
With late offer, Coyotes spurn Big Sky future

MICK GARRY • [email protected] • November 5, 2010

VERMILLION - Official word that the University of South Dakota will join the Missouri Valley Football Conference saw the light of day Thursday, ending a whirlwind of phone calls and meetings in which a lot was decided in a very short time.

The announcement brought a sudden close to talk of USD joining the Big Sky Conference, and it also guaranteed the resumption of the Coyotes' rivalry with South Dakota State, which belongs to the Missouri Valley for football and the Summit League for other sports.

USD will join the Summit League in 2011-12 and the MVFC in 2012-13. . . . (read more)

TokyoGriz
November 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Hmm ya pretty much. Well like I said Montana wont be in the Big Sky in the near future, couple years or so. But Other schools like the california ones, portland state are going to pay through the nose to get to UND. Hopefully you guys pay enough to visiting teams to offset these costs or there will be trouble. Several teams in the Big Sky are really under the gun budget wise, Idaho State comes to mind as well as NAU.

Guess we will see in a couple years how happy everyone is with the arrangement. Will be suprised if They all are.

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Here is more news from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20101105/SPORTS0203/11050332/1002/sports

Abrupt turn leads USD to Valley football
With late offer, Coyotes spurn Big Sky future

MICK GARRY • [email protected] • November 5, 2010

VERMILLION - Official word that the University of South Dakota will join the Missouri Valley Football Conference saw the light of day Thursday, ending a whirlwind of phone calls and meetings in which a lot was decided in a very short time.

The announcement brought a sudden close to talk of USD joining the Big Sky Conference, and it also guaranteed the resumption of the Coyotes' rivalry with South Dakota State, which belongs to the Missouri Valley for football and the Summit League for other sports.

USD will join the Summit League in 2011-12 and the MVFC in 2012-13. . . . (read more)

Next Page1| 2| 3Previous PageVERMILLION - Official word that the University of South Dakota will join the Missouri Valley Football Conference saw the light of day Thursday, ending a whirlwind of phone calls and meetings in which a lot was decided in a very short time.

USD will join the Summit League in 2011-12 and the MVFC in 2012-13.

"We kept coming back to the fact that this is what everyone wanted six months ago," USD athletic director David Sayler said. "They wanted a combination of the Summit and the Missouri Valley for football. We realized this was a better opportunity, and we cemented it after going home and sleeping on it."

Thursday's press conference included a moment where MVFC commissioner Patty Viverito walked to the podium to repeat - in front of media and fans - the offer to join the league that she'd extended to USD for real less than two days earlier.
USD president Jim Abbott then rose to applause from the faithful, thanking Viverito.

"On behalf of the staff, students and particularly the athletic department at the University of South Dakota," Abbott proclaimed, "we accept your offer."

Formalities aside, if the president had stood at that point and said USD was instead taking the Big Sky offer, it would have been only slightly more odd than what actually transpired in the two days previous to Thursday's announcement.
As recently as Monday night, it appeared nearly certain that the Coyotes were headed for the Big Sky, which had openly courted USD for the last two weeks and had accepted Southern Utah and North Dakota as new members Monday.

The situation began to change dramatically very quickly, however, with a phone call from Viverito to USD athletic director David Sayler on Tuesday morning.
With North Dakota headed for the Big Sky, USD was momentarily not part of an I-29 tandem headed west. Viverito thought she could sell her athletic directors and university presidents on the idea of a 10th team joining the league for 2012 and requested the opportunity to try to get it together.

(2 of 3)

"I didn't have the votes to get an 11-team league approved with North Dakota as part of the package," Viverito said. "It had nothing to do with the worthiness of those other schools. It wasn't until I learned through the press that USD and UND weren't tethered as a package deal, that I knew USD was an independent actor in this, that could we take a look at the 10-team model."

North Dakota was not going to be the first team in the MVFC. So it didn't matter for us. So in no way was this UND's fault.

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hmm ya pretty much. Well like I said Montana wont be in the Big Sky in the near future, couple years or so. But Other schools like the california ones, portland state are going to pay through the nose to get to UND. Hopefully you guys pay enough to visiting teams to offset these costs or there will be trouble. Several teams in the Big Sky are really under the gun budget wise, Idaho State comes to mind as well as NAU.

Guess we will see in a couple years how happy everyone is with the arrangement. Will be suprised if They all are.

Then they forfeit if they cannot play at UND. That simple.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Maybe the Big Sky schools will decide to pay the MVFC & Summit a large sum of money to take UND.

biobengal
November 5th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Maybe the Big Sky schools will decide to pay the MVFC & Summit a large sum of money to take UND.

According to the article MVFC was never an option for UND. Check the link.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Um, insert sarcasm in my posted comment of TokyoGriz's post.

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Obviously some Valley schools around UND (NDSU, SDSU, UNI) didn't lobby hard enough or at all for UND to join.

biobengal
November 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Obviously some Valley schools around UND (NDSU, SDSU, UNI) didn't lobby hard enough or at all for UND to join.

I don't think so, the numbers just didn't work; although, 10 doesn't work that well either.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2010, 08:40 AM

MVC schools aren't exactly printing money right now, two schools needed a special travel arrangement made just so USD could be added.

UND never had a chance, a fourth Dakota school wasn't an option. Plus an 11 team league is a big headache.

biobengal
November 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM
MVC schools aren't exactly printing money right now, two schools needed a special travel arrangement made just so USD could be added.

UND never had a chance, a fourth Dakota school wasn't an option. Plus an 11 team league is a big headache.

Will there be a full round robin format in the MVFC? It doesn't make sense in FCS to do it any other day... that's why a 13 team BSC leaves me scratching my head. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer an all sports conference made up of 8-9 universities.... I don't like the mega-conference that is all the vogue these days.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Will there be a full round robin format in the MVFC? It doesn't make sense in FCS to do it any other day... that's why a 13 team BSC leaves me scratching my head. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer an all sports conference made up of 8-9 universities.... I don't like the mega-conference that is all the vogue these days.

We'll have eight games, with SIU and Indiana State being protected from having to travel to the Dakotas more than once per year. I did like the old setup where everyone played everyone but I guess I can live with 10.

I would hate 13, it might be three or four years before you see some teams in your conference play in your stadium with that format.

MSUDuo
November 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM
We'll have eight games, with SIU and Indiana State being protected from having to travel to the Dakotas more than once per year. I did like the old setup where everyone played everyone but I guess I can live with 10.

I would hate 13, it might be three or four years before you see some teams in your conference play in your stadium with that format.

Why would SIU and ISUb be protected and not YSU? And FWIW, our AD said the same thing about only having to make one long trip each year. Didn't know if that meant the Dakota's or all around. Doesn't really matter, can't happen every year. Will be interesting to say the least.

BirdieJack
November 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I think Patty may have made a few promises that in the end she's not going to be able to keep.
The SIU and ISU-Blue to the Dakota's once a year is going to be interesting to see how it works out.
Also, when did NDSU not become a "Rivalry Game" that should be played every year?? I know there's a freakin' USD/SDSU lovefest going on throughout the state the past couple of days, but let's not forget what game a lot of us want to see EVERY year just as bad(if not more...personally) as SDSU/USD.

The more I think about it. The MVFC needs to make a push for UND and EIU and split it up this way:
West Division:
SDSU
USD
NDSU
UND
UNI
MSU

East Divison:
WIU
SIU
EIU
ISU-Red
ISU-Blue
YSU

Go Jacks!!

I pulled this from my post over at SDSUfans.com. I think that Patty making a deal in a mere 8 hours with USD might have created some promises she isn't going to keep in the end. BTW...my rant about the "rivalry games" being played every year was in reponse to a USD poster that SDSU would play USD every year and NDSU would play UNI every year...just assuming that the ONLY rivalry that any of us in SD care about.xchinscratchx

Go Jacks!!

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I think Patty may have made a few promises that in the end she's not going to be able to keep.
The SIU and ISU-Blue to the Dakota's once a year is going to be interesting to see how it works out.
Also, when did NDSU not become a "Rivalry Game" that should be played every year?? I know there's a freakin' USD/SDSU lovefest going on throughout the state the past couple of days, but let's not forget what game a lot of us want to see EVERY year just as bad(if not more...personally) as SDSU/USD.

The more I think about it. The MVFC needs to make a push for UND and EIU and split it up this way:
West Division:
SDSU
USD
NDSU
UND
UNI
MSU

East Divison:
WIU
SIU
EIU
ISU-Red
ISU-Blue
YSU

Go Jacks!!

I pulled this from my post over at SDSUfans.com. I think that Patty making a deal in a mere 8 hours with USD might have created some promises she isn't going to keep in the end. BTW...my rant about the "rivalry games" being played every year was in reponse to a USD poster that SDSU would play USD every year and NDSU would play UNI every year...just assuming that the ONLY rivalry that any of us in SD care about.xchinscratchx

Go Jacks!!

Obviously she was only thinking about the Summit and trying to lure USD into staying at all costs.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2010, 10:33 AM
"I didn't have the votes to get an 11-team league approved with North Dakota as part of the package," Viverito said. "It had nothing to do with the worthiness of those other schools. It wasn't until I learned through the press that USD and UND weren't tethered as a package deal, that I knew USD was an independent actor in this, that could we take a look at the 10-team model."

Wow, wow, WOW! She is saying she didn't want UND/USD because she didn't want an 11 team conference! When UND jumped to the Big Sky and USD was determined to not be 100% on-board with the Big Sky did she give them a call!

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Wow, wow, WOW! She is saying she didn't want UND/USD because she didn't want an 11 team conference! When UND jumped to the Big Sky and USD was determined to not be 100% on-board with the Big Sky did she give them a call!

They waited until UND joined the BSC because UND had NO reason to wait they were told over and over no expansion by the MVFC so why stay in the Summit and be an Independant in football, that left UND 1 option BSC. They wanted USD all along and threw something together in 8 hrs and since USD was still part of the Summit and in fear of losing yet another Summit League team they got into the MVFC.

Big Al
November 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Why would SIU and ISUb be protected and not YSU? And FWIW, our AD said the same thing about only having to make one long trip each year. Didn't know if that meant the Dakota's or all around. Doesn't really matter, can't happen every year. Will be interesting to say the least.

I suspect we're going to see an East/West alignment for the MVFC. If you do this, then it can be arranged so that only one Dakota road game is played each year in the East division. I suspect it will be like this:

West
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU

EAST
MSU
SIU
IlSU
InSU
YSU

Travel to the Dakota schools isn't a concern for the West division schools -- in fact, it's kind of ideal. The second nice part about this arrangement is I would expect we would almost always see at least two MVFC schools (East/West champs) in the playoffs every year.

LakesBison
November 5th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Patty and MVFC waited becuase NO ONE WANTS A CRAPPY UND TEAM in there conference, except the big fluffy.

und couldnt compete in recruiting minnesota/wisc with NDSU and had to run west, plain and simple. Not 1 recruit went to und over NDSU in the last 6 years, Z E R O.

Im not happy with usd coming, but leaving und on an island with a crazy travel budget and a montana less big fluffy is priceless karma to those up there.

JBB
November 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I suspect we're going to see an East/West alignment for the MVFC. If you do this, then it can be arranged so that only one Dakota road game is played each year in the East division. I suspect it will be like this:

West
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU

EAST
MSU
SIU
IlSU
InSU
YSU

Travel to the Dakota schools isn't a concern for the West division schools -- in fact, it's kind of ideal. The second nice part about this arrangement is I would expect we would almost always see at least two MVFC schools (East/West champs) in the playoffs every year.

That looks good.

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Patty and MVFC waited becuase NO ONE WANTS A CRAPPY UND TEAM in there conference, except the big fluffy.

und couldnt compete in recruiting minnesota/wisc with NDSU and had to run west, plain and simple. Not 1 recruit went to und over NDSU in the last 6 years, Z E R O.

Im not happy with usd coming, but leaving und on an island with a crazy travel budget and a montana less big fluffy is priceless karma to those up there.

Last I saw Montana was still there. And will be there for a while. As for recruiting UND recruits from the western states anyways so who cares if we lose a MN recruit to NDSU. BTW how many times have you been in the playoffs with those recruits since becomming playoff eligible. ZERO!!

biobengal
November 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Come on now, you're acting like a buffoon.

OrygunBison
November 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
USD admin was pretty unseemly in this whole deal, but I wouldn't say UND is a victim, nor is USD the reason we're not in the MVFC. USD played the game better than UND and ultimately got what it wanted. But let me ask, setting aside past grievances, why all the hostility toward UND? At the end of the day, UND very much wanted into the MVFC, but was denied. UND is now in the Big Sky by itself, with no rivals, with the Montana uncertainty hanging over the entire conference, and with no chance of getting back with its Dakota peers in the foreseeable future. And it all stems from the fact that the MVFC wanted no part of UND. You should be ecstatic. UND is publicly rebuked by your conference and NDSU still does not have to play UND. Not a victim per se, but I'm not really sure what UND did wrong in this whole thing or what part UND played in the debacle.

I'm not saying that anyone did anything wrong. That is actually my point. If you read other (typically rational) UND fans, though, you'd think that everyone is conspiring against them. It sort of reminds me of the reason why there is such bad feelings between NDSU and UND because of what happened several years ago. UND fans seem to forget that their school played a part in how this all shook out.

(For what it is worth, I personally wish NDSU were in the Big Sky with Montana, MSU and PSU - not because it is a better conference situation but because I could personally see more of the games live. Additionally, for what it is worth, I realize that many of my Bison brethren are jumping for joy right now to see UND in a little hurt. Not me. I just commented about some posters victim posting. That is all.)

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not saying that anyone did anything wrong. That is actually my point. If you read other (typically rational) UND fans, though, you'd think that everyone is conspiring against them. It sort of reminds me of the reason why there is such bad feelings between NDSU and UND because of what happened several years ago. UND fans seem to forget that their school played a part in how this all shook out.

(For what it is worth, I personally wish NDSU were in the Big Sky with Montana, MSU and PSU - not because it is a better conference situation but because I could personally see more of the games live. Additionally, for what it is worth, I realize that many of my Bison brethren are jumping for joy right now to see UND in a little hurt. Not me. I just commented about some posters victim posting. That is all.)

Actually after reading how this whole thing went down I blame Patty V and NOT USD. I think she is the villain in this who mess how she put together this little plan to get USD in the conference and keep the Summit afloat with Douple at her side. But in the end it worked out. Both teams are in AQ conferences.

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Actually after reading how this whole thing went down I blame Patty V and NOT USD. I think she is the villain in this who mess how she put together this little plan to get USD in the conference and keep the Summit afloat with Douple at her side. But in the end it worked out. Both teams are in AQ conferences.

So what's wrong with the Big Sky, sounds like a great deal for UND.

OrygunBison
November 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Dude, nobody is a villain and nobody is a victim. Everyone is simply looking out for the best interest of their respective organizations. It is just business after all, no drama necessary.

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Dude, nobody is a villain and nobody is a victim. Everyone is simply looking out for the best interest of their respective organizations. It is just business after all, no drama necessary.

We will see how this plays out, and who cries foul.

Sec310
November 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I wish UND fans would STFU. If you situations were reversed, UND would have done the samething USD did.

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I wish UND fans would STFU. If you situations were reversed, UND would have done the samething USD did.

Its the not the fact that USD is in the MVFC its how the deal was done. If they told UND we are only interested in USD instead of saying for months and months no expansion. It would have been easier to swallow.

LakesBison
November 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM
sec. watch out, you will get reported and banned for talk like that.
you cant tell a und fan the truth , cuz the referee see's that as attacking. wow.

point is this, #1 und couldnt outrecruit 1, just 1 kid in minnesota so they jumped at a chance to go west.

#2 refer to #1.

NDB
November 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Its the not the fact that USD is in the MVFC its how the deal was done. If they told UND we are only interested in USD instead of saying for months and months no expansion. It would have been easier to swallow.

dude. there is no conspiracy.

the decision to add anyone was made this week.

dmksioux
November 5th, 2010, 02:23 PM

dude. there is no conspiracy.

the decision to add anyone was made this week.

I don't like to believe in conspiracy theories either and don't believe there was necessarily a conspiracy in this situation. However, for some reason USD decided to sit on it's Big Sky offer for a couple of days instead accepting it at the same time as UND and SUU. They claimed they needed the Board of Regents approval before they could accept...which may or may not be true. When the MVFC came calling with an offer on Wednesday, they did not need to wait a couple of days to gain approval from the Board of Regents. Part of me wonders if they weren't alerted to the MVFC possibility sometime between Friday and Monday which is why they decided to sit for a couple of extra days and see how it might play out.

Either way, USD made the right choice for them and their future and UND did what they had to do as well. Time to move on and be excited for both schools.

NDB
November 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM
FYI.

The USD had commitments to the Summit which would have required serious $$$ to break.

UND was beholden to no one except their own delusions.

darell1976
November 5th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I don't like to believe in conspiracy theories either and don't believe there was necessarily a conspiracy in this situation. However, for some reason USD decided to sit on it's Big Sky offer for a couple of days instead accepting it at the same time as UND and SUU. They claimed they needed the Board of Regents approval before they could accept...which may or may not be true. When the MVFC came calling with an offer on Wednesday, they did not need to wait a couple of days to gain approval from the Board of Regents. Part of me wonders if they weren't alerted to the MVFC possibility sometime between Friday and Monday which is why they decided to sit for a couple of extra days and see how it might play out.

Either way, USD made the right choice for them and their future and UND did what they had to do as well. Time to move on and be excited for both schools.

Exactly. Plus nothing starts until 2012 and if this many teams are moving now, who is going to move in 2011 and the Spring and Summer of 2012. This could be far from over.

dmksioux
November 5th, 2010, 02:52 PM
FYI.

The USD had commitments to the Summit which would have required serious $$$ to break.

UND was beholden to no one except their own delusions.

That is a valid point and chances are everything was done without any back room politics or behind the scenes discussions.

Again, would the BOR have vetoed a move to the Big Sky knowing 100% that their was no football home for USD in the MVFC thus leaving them as an independent? Still a possibility that something may have been leeked to them in my opinion.

NDB
November 5th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I don't think the BOR would have vetoed the move, but I think it raised the stakes and slowed down the process.

I don't think there was a chance that UND would get into the MVFC. And like others have pointed out, UND can still schedule NDSU, SDSU, and USD ooc in other sports (which is a virtual certainty given geography).

dmksioux
November 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Agreed and as I stated earlier...time to move on, both teams are where they probably should be. Hopefully we can get NDSU on the football schedule earlier rather than later.

LakesBison
November 5th, 2010, 03:54 PM
in regards to recruiting and major D1 wins, NDSU has moved on beyond all other 3 schools, just fine.

slostang
November 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
in regards to recruiting and major D1 wins, NDSU has moved on beyond all other 3 schools, just fine.

SDSU may argue with you on that one. They are the only one of the 4 that has been to the FCS playoffs. They may say that moved on beyond NDSU. I am not saying......I am just saying. :)

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM
SDSU may argue with you on that one. They are the only one of the 4 that has been to the FCS playoffs. They may say that moved on beyond NDSU. I am not saying......I am just saying. :)

I think he's talking about wins. ;)

89rabbit
November 5th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I think he's talking about wins. ;)

You mean like three in a row? xnodx xlolx

SDSU 29 - NDSU 24

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics/200/QK/QKOEUNKKXJUHFZU.20071117230344.jpg

SDSU 25 - NDSU 24

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics/200/XD/XDRPUCZKNGYGRLQ.20081123035352.jpg

SDSU 28 - NDSU 13

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics22/200/EQ/EQUORKPBGNKKUDB.20091019193428.jpg

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM
You mean like three in a row? xnodx xlolx

No, I mean he said bigtime wins.

89rabbit
November 5th, 2010, 08:18 PM
No, I mean he said bigtime wins.

You are right. Beating the Bison isn't "bigtime" because we do it all the time. You are making this waaaaay to easy. xrotatehx xlolx

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
You are right. Beating the Bison isn't "bigtime" because we do it all the time. You are making this waaaaay to easy. xrotatehx xlolx

Beating the Bison is not a bigtime D1 Win, unless you are from South Dakota ;)

Big Al
November 5th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Beating the Bison is not a bigtime D1 Win

FIFY

Gil Dobie
November 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
FIFY

You can do better than that.

twentythreeOh4
November 5th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Come on now, you're acting like a buffoon.

Oh Lake Bison isn't acting.

Big Al
November 5th, 2010, 11:34 PM
You can do better than that.

Maybe so, but when you're lobbing a softball a homerun is a homerun, right?

xlolxxlolx

Gil Dobie
November 6th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Maybe so, but when you're lobbing a softball a homerun is a homerun, right?

xlolxxlolx

I'm just telling the truth. But if UNI and NDSU end up 7-4, and UNI doesn't get the autobid (ISU, WIU or MSU), then a NDSU win might be considered big. ;)