PDA

View Full Version : GPI Release, 11/02/2010

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?303-GPI-11-02-2010

CHICAGO - The Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for the NCAA Division I FCS and a top indicator of at-large playoff selection has Appalachian State remaining on top after the action of Week 9 of the 2010 season. While Villanova's 28-7 victory over Richmond this weekend made the Wildcats leap to No. 2 in the GPI this weekend, it wasn't enough to prevent the Mountaineers for staying on top for the second straight week.

Welcome Southern Utah to the Top 25 - and re-welcome Indiana State! xhurrayx

IaaScribe
November 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Really eye opening to see South Carolina State down at No. 53 in the GPI. As much as people think they'll get in because of their past resume, the committee would have to stray really far from what they've done in the past to reward a team with that sort of ranking. And it's only going to get worse considering the caliber of competition SCSU plays down the stretch.

WestCoastAggie
November 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
Does anyone have time to compile how the Modified GPI would look?

aceinthehole
November 2nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
Really eye opening to see South Carolina State down at No. 53 in the GPI. As much as people think they'll get in because of their past resume, the committee would have to stray really far from what they've done in the past to reward a team with that sort of ranking. And it's only going to get worse considering the caliber of competition SCSU plays down the stretch.

SCSU is so overated in the polls (most notably the TSN and Coaches). There is no way a 2nd MEAC team gets in as an at-large.

danefan
November 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have time to compile how the Modified GPI would look?

2 minutes.

danefan
November 2nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
NCAA GPI (using only Wolfe, Massey, Lazurus, Ashburn and Self)

1. Appalachian St
2. Villanova
3. Delaware
4. Jacksonville St
5. William & Mary
6. E Washington
7. Wofford
8. New Hampshire
9. SF Austin
10. W Illinois
11. Montana St
12. Northern Iowa
13. Massachusetts
14. SE Missouri St
15. CS Sacramento
16. Montana
17. James Madison
18. N Dakota St
19. Chattanooga
20. Cal Poly SLO
21. Richmond
22. N Arizona
23. Weber St
24. Robert Morris
25. Jacksonville

26. Penn
27. Grambling
28. Bethune-Cookman
29. Indiana St
30. Southern Utah
31. Furman
32. Missouri St
33. S Dakota St
34. McNeese St
35. Liberty
36. Lehigh
37. Samford
38. Illinois St
39. Elon
40. Cent Arkansas
41. Maine
42. Sam Houston St
43. Ga Southern
44. Central Conn
45. South Dakota
46. S Carolina St
47. Jackson St
48. Old Dominion
49. S Illinois
50. Dayton

DSUrocks07
November 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
NCAA GPI (using only Wolfe, Massey, Lazurus, Ashburn and Self)

1. Appalachian St
2. Villanova
3. Delaware
4. Jacksonville St
5. William & Mary
6. E Washington
7. Wofford
8. New Hampshire
9. SF Austin
10. W Illinois
11. Montana St
12. Northern Iowa
13. Massachusetts
14. SE Missouri St
15. CS Sacramento
16. Montana
17. James Madison
18. N Dakota St
19. Chattanooga
20. Cal Poly SLO
21. Richmond
22. N Arizona
23. Weber St
24. Robert Morris
25. Jacksonville

26. Penn
27. Grambling
28. Bethune-Cookman
29. Indiana St
30. Southern Utah
31. Furman
32. Missouri St
33. S Dakota St
34. McNeese St
35. Liberty
36. Lehigh
37. Samford
38. Illinois St
39. Elon
40. Cent Arkansas
41. Maine
42. Sam Houston St
43. Ga Southern
44. Central Conn
45. South Dakota
46. S Carolina St
47. Jackson St
48. Old Dominion
49. S Illinois
50. Dayton

I would say that the "ICON" would have more of an argument for an at-large bid than SC State.

DetroitFlyer
November 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Just cannot rationalize JU at 25 and UD at 50.... JU has a win over #48 ODU, while Dayton has a win over #24 Robert Morris. Both teams currently have identical records.... It just seems beyond all reason that JU getting hammered by App State is so much better than UD losing to Duquesne by 4.... Yeah, I know that JU has been running up the score on teams and that catches headlines, but 25 positions worth?

aceinthehole
November 2nd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Just cannot rationalize JU at 25 and UD at 50.... JU has a win over #48 ODU, while Dayton has a win over #24 Robert Morris. Both teams currently have identical records.... It just seems beyond all reason that JU getting hammered by App State is so much better than UD losing to Duquesne by 4.... Yeah, I know that JU has been running up the score on teams and that catches headlines, but 25 positions worth?

DF - I agree with you. Dayton has a very strong case to be regarded as the PFL champ this year. Wherever you rank JU, Dayton should be right there.

However, with Dayton fighting Jacksonville for this "shared" PFL title, it may very well keep both teams on the outside of a playoff selection.

danefan
November 3rd, 2010, 07:33 AM

Dayton gets rocked by the loss to Duquesne in all the rankings. JU doesn't really get hurt by the loss to App State. I'm not sure the scores really matter to the computers. I don't know whether any of the 5 systems the NCAA would use have a margin of victory factor. Here are the numbers of Dayton and JU:

Dayton
Wolfe - 18
Massey - 66
Lazurus - 46
Ashburn - 61
Self - 61

Jacksonville
Wolfe - 11
Massey - 47
Lazurus - 13
Ashburn - 30
Self - 33

WrenFGun
November 3rd, 2010, 08:26 AM
SCSU is so overated in the polls (most notably the TSN and Coaches). There is no way a 2nd MEAC team gets in as an at-large.

+100.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM

I disagree with your first statement. Your second statement is probably true. South Carolina State is being hurt by their conference mates and Mississippi Valley St. If you really think that SCSU is the 53rd best team in the country, then clearly you haven't seen much FCS football this year. xoopsx xeyebrowx

Oh well, Legacy Bowl 2011; here we come. . .xsmhx

Mr. C
November 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Have you even seen them play? I guarantee you that CCSU would have a lot of trouble moving the ball against the Bulldogs. And I know that SCSU would have a hug advantage in speed.

JUDolphins
November 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Dayton is behind JU in the polls because the Dolphins have dominated EVERY PFL game they have played. Not one of their games has been in doubt at halftime. Plus, that loss to Duquesne drastically outweighs the win over Robert Morris.

danefan
November 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Have you even seen them play? I guarantee you that CCSU would have a lot of trouble moving the ball against the Bulldogs. And I know that SCSU would have a hug advantage in speed.

I have (not a whole but about 3 quarters). I think CCSU and SCST would be an even matchup this year. I think RMU would beat SCST by a TD or 2. Same goes for BCU, which I think is roughly equal to SCST despite the head-to-head loss. 10 games - they go 5-5, IMO.

WrenFGun
November 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM

If we're voting on resume, there resume is terrible. That's all that matters to me. They don't really deserve consideration. I don't care if they'd beat CCSU because at least CCSU tried to play someone worth a damn.

danefan
November 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
If we're voting on resume, there resume is terrible. That's all that matters to me. They don't really deserve consideration. I don't care if they'd beat CCSU because at least CCSU tried to play someone worth a damn.

The fact that there is an argument to be made that CCSU's resume is equal to or better than SCST is proof enough that SCST should not be ranked at all, let alone in the Top 20. It also goes to show that BCU is wholly overrated being as their only quality win is over an overrated SCST team.

WestCoastAggie
November 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM

Meh...

If SC State gets in, they get in. If they don't, they don't.

Either way, this most likely will be the last year the MEAC is in the playoffs so if the conference gets 2 spots, let them enjoy their final battles in the fray, if they get the chance.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
The fact that there is an argument to be made that CCSU's resume is equal to or better than SCST is proof enough that SCST should not be ranked at all, let alone in the Top 20. It also goes to show that BCU is wholly overrated being as their only quality win is over an overrated SCST team.

As I've said before, with humans there is a 'sight argument'. One of the sight arguments is that BCU had a 37 point win against Morgan State in Baltimore. NDSU another ranked team had a 24 point win at home. This indicates that BCU is as good as, if not better than NDSU. Then they went and beat a good SCSU team in Orangeburg. There is absolutely no reason to think that BCU isn't a good team.

With regards to SCSU we'll know a lot from their upcoming game against Morgan State. Right now, I'd say they are tremendous defensively and need some help offensively. But we knew that from their game against App last year.

danefan
November 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
As I've said before, with humans there is a 'sight argument'. One of the sight arguments is that BCU had a 37 point win against Morgan State in Baltimore. NDSU another ranked team had a 24 point win at home. This indicates that BCU is as good as, if not better than NDSU. Then they went and beat a good SCSU team in Orangeburg. There is absolutely no reason to think that BCU isn't a good team.

With regards to SCSU we'll know a lot from their upcoming game against Morgan State. Right now, I'd say they are tremendous defensively and need some help offensively. But we knew that from their game against App last year.

Transitive theory against bad teams doesn't work for me.

Example #1:
Albany beat St. Francis 48-0.
Cal Poly beat St. Francis 41-33

Albany is not better than Cal Poly. Not even in the same discussion this year.

I'm not saying BCU isn't a good team. They are a Top 25 team, but they are not a Top 15 team like they're ranked right now. There is nothing in their resume or on-field play (based on my viewing last week) to support that ranking for BCU.

WrenFGun
November 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM

That doesn't hold much water. UNH beat UMass by 26 points. Michigan beat Umass by single digits. UNH is not better than Michigan.

danefan
November 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
That doesn't hold much water. UNH beat UMass by 26 points. Michigan beat Umass by single digits. UNH is not better than Michigan.

Example #2.

We can keep going. I'm waiting for someone to explain why SCST is ranked at all in the human polls. Until that explanation is made, the BCU ranking is suspect as well.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'm not a big fan of transitivity in football either. BUT when it comes to human voters that does come into play. I'm sorry you can't avoid it; even if you try. . . there has to be some sight-argument involved in ranking teams that don't play each other.

On the D2 level, the regional rankings can be affected by head-to-head games and by results against common opponents. You can't discount that.

Your opinion is that Albany is not as good as Cal Poly, but that is based on a sight-argument as well.

aceinthehole
November 3rd, 2010, 11:49 AM

There is no evidence that SCSU is better than CCSU and would beat the Blue Devils..

Central has a loss on the road to a top-10 team in New Hampshire, what everyone would consider a very "good loss."

The other loss is on the road to a YSU team that may not have the record to show for it, but is a good team. And for the record, CCSU did not have as much trouble moving the ball as they did stopping the run.

Do I think CCSU is at-large worthy? Hell no - but neither is SCSU.

Do I think CCSU is top-25? Not right now, but they are on the cusp. And a win vs what should be a top-25 RMU should erase any bad memories of the week 3 YSU loss, and CCSU would have to be considered in the top 20-25 with a record of 7-2 overall and 6-0 in the NEC.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
There is no evidence that SCSU is better than CCSU and would beat the Blue Devils..

Central has a loss on the road to a top-10 team in New Hampshire, what everyone would consider a very "good loss."

The other loss is on the road to a YSU team that may not have the record to show for it, but is a good team. And for the record, CCSU did not have as much trouble moving the ball as they did stopping the run.

Do I think CCSU is at-large worthy? Hell no - but neither is SCSU.

Do I think CCSU is top-25? Not right now, but they are on the cusp. And a win vs what should be a top-25 RMU should erase any bad memories of the week 3 YSU loss, and CCSU would have to be considered in the top 20-25 with a record of 7-2 overall and 6-0 in the NEC.

You don't think that voters are going to remember the score from that Youngstown St game? xeyebrowx

WestCoastAggie
November 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Example #2.

We can keep going. I'm waiting for someone to explain why SCST is ranked at all in the human polls. Until that explanation is made, the BCU ranking is suspect as well.

The Reason why SC State is still ranked in the polls; THE CLOSE PLAYOFF GAMES THEY HAD WITH APP. STATE. Those games are singlehandedly keeping the MEAC ranked as high as they are in the human polls.

Once the NEC champ. enters the playoffs and is successful, the conference will have the same benefit as the MEAC in the polls.

Fair or not, it is what it is.

danefan
November 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM
The Reason why SC State is still ranked in the polls; THE CLOSE PLAYOFF GAMES THEY HAD WITH APP. STATE. Those games are singlehandedly keeping the MEAC ranked as high as they are in the human polls.

Once the NEC champ. enters the playoffs and is successful, the conference will have the same benefit as the MEAC in the polls.

Duly noted. All you need to be ranked is a close game in the playoffs. But you don't even have to win anything for 15 years.

Exactly why SCST shouldn't be ranked at all.

BTW, I agree that this must be the reason becuase there is no other reasoning that makes any sense.

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2010, 11:59 AM

That's a big ole if. When yall see how good the playoff teams are. . .

WestCoastAggie
November 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Duly noted. All you need to be ranked is a close game in the playoffs. But you don't even have to win anything for 15 years.

Exactly why SCST shouldn't be ranked at all.

BTW, I agree that this must be the reason becuase there is no other reasoning that makes any sense.

You have to remember that SC State returned ALL their starters on their D that held App. State to 13 offensive points. If it wasn't for a botched FG snap, App. State, would have had to drive the length of the field against that Defense inside 2 minutes in the 4th quarter. Not an easy task.

IF SC State can make the playoffs, a stretch becasue of their S.O.S. as talked about ad-nasuem, thier D will be tough to move the ball against, like many of the CAA teams.