PDA

View Full Version : How Long WIll USD & UND Stay?

Sec310
November 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
We all know that there is another around of conference expansion, that will happen. The only question is when.

So how long will USD & UND stay in the Big Sky?

Say the Summit loses Oral Roberts to the Southland. Texas Terror, shut up, it's just an example.

Summit would be down to 7 teams.

Inviting USD & UND to the Summit, with a MVFC membership as the caveat, could happen.

The Big Sky will have an eye on Montana making a move to the WAC and Sac St. going to Big West for all sports but football.

I think Montana may have gone to the WAC, if Hawaii wasn't in the WAC-at least for all sports.

MplsBison
November 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Eight is not a terrible size for a conference. Especially when dropping SUU and Centenary so dramatically improves the conference RPI. We have eight solid low major schools. It will be a very competitive 8 team conference tournament with the winner going on to hopefully get a 12 or 13 seed with an improved RPI.

That said, if Oral Roberts leaves then I hope the Summit takes a look at Chicago State. They have a great facility:http://www.gocsucougars.com/sports/2008/4/13/GEN_0413080224.aspx?id=15 and they're in a big market that is obviously within the footprint of the league.

Other than that, UN-Omaha would be another one to look at if they decide to move up. They'd pair nicely with UM-Kansas City in a natural I-29 pairing.

Actually, when you look at how the league would be if it added UNO, you'd have an obvious I-29 division and an obvious Great Lakes divsion:

NDSU SDSU
UMKC UNO

WIU IUPUI
IPFW Oakland

darell1976
November 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
UND has found a great home in the Big Sky. If it wasn't so grand NDSU and SDSU wouldn't have wanted to join when they went D1. They could be in there for a long time, and if and when Montana and/or Montana State leaves for the FBS maybe they could find teams to replace them but by that time maybe UND will be exploring the FBS road.

RabidRabbit
November 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Congrats to UND/USD being invited to the Big Sky for all sports. IMHO, if a revised Summit, and a MVFC invite included, with all the sports offered by the 2 schools and the opportunity to start league games vs their 100 game rivalry teams in all sports appeared, along with a bus trip to half the venues, rather than flights to all, I would be surprised if the Yotes in particular, but also the FNAFS, would probably take the bait. Midwestern league is more their territory, just like it is for Bison and Jacks.

darell1976
November 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Congrats to UND/USD being invited to the Big Sky for all sports. IMHO, if a revised Summit, and a MVFC invite included, with all the sports offered by the 2 schools and the opportunity to start league games vs their 100 game rivalry teams in all sports appeared, along with a bus trip to half the venues, rather than flights to all, I would be surprised if the Yotes in particular, but also the FNAFS, would probably take the bait. Midwestern league is more their territory, just like it is for Bison and Jacks.

That would be a key. They would need both a MVFC and Summit invite for us to leave the BSC. IMO I would love to see that happen. But we are greatful for the BSC to invite us and keep us from that death sentence called the Indy league.

jacksfan29
November 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Eight is not a terrible size for a conference. Especially when dropping SUU and Centenary so dramatically improves the conference RPI. We have eight solid low major schools. It will be a very competitive 8 team conference tournament with the winner going on to hopefully get a 12 or 13 seed with an improved RPI.

That said, if Oral Roberts leaves then I hope the Summit takes a look at Chicago State. They have a great facility:http://www.gocsucougars.com/sports/2008/4/13/GEN_0413080224.aspx?id=15 and they're in a big market that is obviously within the footprint of the league.

Other than that, UN-Omaha would be another one to look at if they decide to move up. They'd pair nicely with UM-Kansas City in a natural I-29 pairing.

Actually, when you look at how the league would be if it added UNO, you'd have an obvious I-29 division and an obvious Great Lakes divsion:

NDSU SDSU
UMKC UNO

WIU IUPUI
IPFW Oakland

Chicago State? No! NO!! NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!! You do know the history, right?

And instead of asking how long UND/USD stay, how about we let USD sign on the bottom line and join the BSC. Unless I am missing something it still hasn't occurred.

rabbit101
November 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
UND has found a great home in the Big Sky. If it wasn't so grand NDSU and SDSU wouldn't have wanted to join when they went D1. They could be in there for a long time, and if and when Montana and/or Montana State leaves for the FBS maybe they could find teams to replace them but by that time maybe UND will be exploring the FBS road.

dont know if its grand or not but just like und and usd, sdsu and ndsu wanted to find a conference and that was almost their first opportunity. usd hasnt accepted anything yet and if something would happen that the mvfc wants to add them, they would take that over the bsc. desparate to get in a conference is a good way to put sdsu/ndsu a few yrs ago and und and usd now. without a conference your f......screwed.

darell1976
November 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
dont know if its grand or not but just like und and usd, sdsu and ndsu wanted to find a conference and that was almost their first opportunity. usd hasnt accepted anything yet and if something would happen that the mvfc wants to add them, they would take that over the bsc. desparate to get in a conference is a good way to put sdsu/ndsu a few yrs ago and und and usd now. without a conference your f......screwed.

The BSC is 99.9% done.
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20101102/NEWS/11020334/1001/news

"The dealing between the conference and USD is done. We've agreed to the terms," he said. "The letter is signed by the Big Sky and waiting for the (USD) president's signature.
"My dealing with USD has been extremely positive," Fullerton said, "and the process is moving forward, but the regents have to do their due diligence."

Here is why its not offical:
"The university administration is reaching out to regents," he said. "We want to gauge their thoughts about this situation."

Sec310
November 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM

And instead of asking how long UND/USD stay, how about we let USD sign on the bottom line and join the BSC. Unless I am missing something it still hasn't occurred.

Yes, USD to the Big Sky isn't official. But USD has a pen in their hands, the Big Sky has contracts drawn up, it's almost a slam dunk.

Of course, at the last second the Summit could use their pull in the MVFC and get USD into the MVFC.

jacksfan29
November 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Yes, USD to the Big Sky isn't official. But USD has a pen in their hands, the Big Sky has contracts drawn up, it's almost a slam dunk.

Of course, at the last second the Summit could use their pull in the MVFC and get USD into the MVFC.

I believe they will join but nothing is a "slam dunk" until the announcement is made. I see where Fullerton had to soften his statement on USD and for whatever reason there seems to be a delay in the deal getting done. That could be the SDBOR or the USD administration but there is a delay. I simply think it is a bit odd asking when they will leave, when they haven't even officially joined.

Sec310
November 3rd, 2010, 02:49 AM
Where did Fullerton soften his statement about USD? He backed tracked a little about no current Big Sky members leaving, but I haven't seen anything about USD.

There is nothing odd about asking about USD. We all know they wouldn't have looked at the Big Sky if they got a MVFC invite. If that MVFC invitation ever came to USD, they would say good by to the Big Sky, faster than a Montana minute.

MylesKnight
November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
What is the real history with Chicago State, beyond the struggles of several years ago? Facilities-wise, they have fixed that with the Convo Center, and they have shown the ability to compete in the revenue sport (Men's Hoops) recently.

They are a perfect fit geographically within the league and give the Summit a footprint (however small it might be) into the Chicagoland area for obvious recruiting reasons.

I don't see why they are still considered a Slam Dunk No.

mksioux
November 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM

NDSU SDSU
UMKC UNO

WIU IUPUI
IPFW Oakland
The problem with UNO, if they decide to move up, is that they will need a home for football. The Summit does not provide that for them, and as we've seen, the MVFC is not real anxious to add members.

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Does anyone else wonder if maybe the MVFC is offering USD?

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Yes I'm wondering that also. I'm guessing with significant prodding from the Summit League and it's member institutions in the MVFC.

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Say the Summit loses Oral Roberts to the Southland. Texas Terror, shut up, it's just an example.

Shut up... why? I'd love for it to happen! I'll take Oral Roberts as a non-football member in a heart beat!

RabidRabbit
November 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
IMHO, the USD application is much more likely than the UND application to be accepted by the MVFC members. USD is already inside the existing footprint of the MVFC, they're another dome, so no weather impacts. A bus trip for NDSU, SDSU, UNI, WIU, and Mo St.

For the Summit, Yotes have a GREAT indoor track facility, participate in over 10 of the Summit-sponsored sports, and make a great travel partner for either SDSU or UMKC. Yet, they'd be the small school, and would likely need more time to get competitive in all the sports. And they would make for bigger gates for BB due to proximity to Sioux Falls, and the NDSU or SDSU rivalries that they have been involved with since before the start of the 20th Century.

UND isn't in the footprint of either, has (had) nickname issues, and was never offered Summit membership.

It will be interesting to see if USD gets a better (Summit/MVFC) offer before they sign on the Big Sky's bottom line.

jacksfan29
November 3rd, 2010, 03:31 PM

Interesting comments from Farley on today's MVFC teleconference.

TerryVandrovec's blog in the Argus Leader
argusleader.com
Valley teleconference 11/3
Posted 11/3/2010 10:56 AM CDT
Some news and notes from the weekly Missouri Valley Football Conference coaches call:

Before we get to the usual business, at least one Valley coach – Mark Farley of UNI – is hoping that the University of South Dakota will hold off on committing to the Big Sky.
“South Dakota would be a tremendous addition to our league,” he said when asked about the situation. “Geographically, it’s a win for everybody because the proximity to the Missouri Valley is a tremendous fit. … Travel costs are your biggest challenge. That’s why I think it would be so positive to have them in our league.
“I don’t know what the scenarios are – we’re just trying to get ready for a game. But it’s my hope and my feelings that South Dakota would be a great addition for our league.”

MplsBison
November 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM

It's a moot point until ORU leaves. If they never leave, then we don't need to add anyone.

If there's anything to this rumor that USD might be getting an invite to the MVFC, I'd much rather have USD stay in the Summit than add Chicago State.

I've seen many NDSU and SDSU fans parrot that Chicago State must be bad. But no one really knows what they're talking about. I'd love to know the details as much as they exist of what really happened.

jacksfan29
November 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
What is the real history with Chicago State, beyond the struggles of several years ago? Facilities-wise, they have fixed that with the Convo Center, and they have shown the ability to compete in the revenue sport (Men's Hoops) recently.

They are a perfect fit geographically within the league and give the Summit a footprint (however small it might be) into the Chicagoland area for obvious recruiting reasons.

I don't see why they are still considered a Slam Dunk No.

No one cares about Chicago State in the Chicago area. If they get a one line note in the back page of the sports section that's a positive. They finished dead last in RPI last year, that is last in all of Men's NCAA D1 BB. After Cent and SUU leave the conference RPI will improve considerably, why would we want to drag it back down? As for the past, maybe they have cleaned house but I doubt too many Summit Presidents would be overly excited about giving them another chance to prove that they can stay clean.

MplsBison
November 3rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
No one cares about Chicago State in the Chicago area. If they get a one line note in the back page of the sports section that's a positive. They finished dead last in RPI last year, that is last in all of Men's NCAA D1 BB. After Cent and SUU leave the conference RPI will improve considerably, why would we want to drag it back down? As for the past, maybe they have cleaned house but I doubt too many Summit Presidents would be overly excited about giving them another chance to prove that they can stay clean.

Ok, so like I thought you don't really have a legitimate "off-the-court" reasons to keep them out of the Summit.

Dead last in RPI is plenty good enough reason!

Twentysix
November 3rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
We all know that there is another around of conference expansion, that will happen. The only question is when.

So how long will USD & UND stay in the Big Sky?

Summit would be down to 7 teams.

Inviting USD & UND to the Summit, with a MVFC membership as the caveat, could happen.

The Big Sky will have an eye on Montana making a move to the WAC and Sac St. going to Big West for all sports but football.

I think Montana may have gone to the WAC, if Hawaii wasn't in the WAC-at least for all sports.

Not very long. I cheated i read another thread!

jacksfan29
November 3rd, 2010, 11:11 PM
Ok, so like I thought you don't really have a legitimate "off-the-court" reasons to keep them out of the Summit.

Dead last in RPI is plenty good enough reason!

How about an athletic department which was so corrupt and had so many compliance issues the school pulled out of the conference voluntarily. Why in the world would the Summit go back to a school like Chicago State? Should we also help fund Centenary so we can get them to stay? How about we beg SUU to stay even though they aren't even close to the conference footprint. Hey, maybe Sioux Falls will skip the move from NAIA and go straight to D1 and FCS? Wouldn't that be awesome? The goal is to move up and make the conference better, not take bottom feeders. They aren't going to be in the Summit any time soon just as UND will not be in the Summit any time soon and the MVFC will not be breaking into Summit/MVC divisions. It isn't going to happen.

By the way, see the USD news? Oops, maybe the Summit isn't in such bad shape?xlol

Sec310
November 4th, 2010, 12:41 AM
By the way, see the USD news? Oops, maybe the Summit isn't in such bad shape?xlol

You shouldn't gloat, because as maybe proven later today, until they sign on the dotted line, nothing is official.