PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Poll- Week 9

smallcollegefbfan
November 1st, 2010, 12:21 PM
A link did not come with the release but if I get one I will post it.

Twelve Conferences Represented in this Week’s Poll

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Jacksonville Dolphins break into this week’s top 25 to become the first team from the Pioneer league to make an appearance in the 2010 Football Championship Subdivision Coaches Poll this season. The debut of a team from the Pioneer League gives twelve conferences representation in this week’s poll. The Dolphins enter the poll at No. 25.

Jacksonville (8-1) has used one of the most explosive offenses in FCS football to climb into the top 25. The Dolphins lead the nation in scoring with 45.4 points per game, and they lead the nation in total offense with 512.56 yards per game. Jacksonville is the only team in FCS football to average more than 500 yards of offense per game. The Dolphins are led by junior quarterback Josh McGregor, who threw for 347 yards and seven touchdowns in the 61-17 win over Morehead State over the weekend. The Dolphins collected their seventh straight win, which tied the school record set in 2008. The lone loss for Jacksonville this season was to Appalachian State, which is No. 1 in the poll for the eighth straight week.

The Mountaineers received 27 first-place votes and 699 total points to remain No. 1. Jacksonville State claimed the other first-place vote and 668 total points, as the Gamecocks remained No. 2. Villanova and Delaware moved up two spots to No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, and William & Mary dropped a spot to round out the top five.

Eastern Washington moved up to No. 6 this week, and Wofford jumped three spots to No. 7 after defeating The Citadel 35-0 over the weekend. New Hampshire is up one this week at No. 8, while Stephen F. Austin fell six spots to No. 9 after losing 27-24 to Texas State. Southeast Missouri State is the final team in this week’s top 10.

Jacksonville is the only team new to this week’s poll, while Chattanooga was the one team to drop out of the rankings.

The twelve conferences that are represented in this week’s poll is led by the Colonial Athletic Association with seven ranked teams. The Big Sky and Missouri Valley Conferences each have three ranked teams, while the Mid-Eastern Athletic, Ohio Valley and Southern Conferences have two teams each. The Ivy and Pioneer League, and the Big South, Great West, Southland and the Southwest Athletic Conferences each have one team in this week’s poll.

FCS Coaches Poll is based exclusively on a voting panel of head coaches in the FCS under the cooperation of the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) and the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) and is administered by the Southern Conference.

2010 FCS Coaches Week 9 Poll (November 1, 2010)

Team (No. 1 Votes) Record Points Last Week
1. Appalachian State (27) 8-0 699 1
2. Jacksonville State (1) 8-0 668 2
3. Villanova 6-2 616 5
4. Delaware 7-1 602 6
5. William & Mary 6-2 590 4
6. Eastern Washington 7-2 565 8
7. Wofford 7-1 512 10
8. New Hampshire 5-3 481 9
9. Stephen F. Austin 6-2 447 3
10. Southeast Missouri State 8-1 437 11
11. Montana State 7-2 396 13
12. Liberty 6-2 386 12
13. Bethune-Cookman 8-0 349 16
14. South Carolina State 6-2 310 17
15. Massachusetts 5-3 307 18
16. Montana 6-3 297 7
17. Northern Iowa 5-3 247 19
18. Cal Poly 6-3 192 20
19. Penn 6-1 187 21
20. North Dakota State 5-3 136 22
21. Western Illinois 6-3 124 24
22. Richmond 4-4 108 14
23. James Madison 4-4 100 15
24. Grambling State 7-1 93 25
25. Jacksonville 8-1 41 NR

Others receiving votes (points in parentheses): Weber State (38), Robert Morris (28), Lehigh (23), Dayton (22), Chattanooga (19), Northern Arizona (13), Southern Utah (13), Indiana State(12), Harvard (10), Sacramento State (10), McNeese State (7), Florida A&M (5), Texas Southern (5), Jackson State (2), Georgia Southern (1), Furman (1), Missouri State (1)

aceinthehole
November 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
More BS!

VBR_Productions
November 1st, 2010, 12:25 PM
So William and Mary loses by four points at UNC but falls behind Villanova and Delaware, both of which it beat? Not to mention that All three of these teams are better than Jacksonville State...

soccerguy315
November 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM
W&M should not be behind Villanova or Delaware... did they drop Villanova when they lost to Temple in the first week?

MacThor
November 1st, 2010, 12:45 PM
W&M should not be behind Villanova or Delaware... did they drop Villanova when they lost to Temple in the first week?

Yes.

asknoquarter21
November 1st, 2010, 12:45 PM
So William and Mary loses by four points at UNC but falls behind Villanova and Delaware, both of which it beat? Not to mention that All three of these teams are better than Jacksonville State...

while I agree they are better it is very hard to show it at this point. I think if Jax St. wins out the Committee is going to make the wrong choice in the eyes of some.

How do you deny undefeated?

The eye test?

JSU02
November 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM

Hahaha. You're funny.

Nebuta
November 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM
I dont see how W&M is behind Nova and UD.

Okay, maybe, just maybe however sooooooooo slight chance that yes, UD over W&M. W&M beat the hens at home, by 1 point courtesy of a UD missed FG late.
But Nova???? Anyone who watched that game, knew that game was over by the 4th Quarter. That game was never in doubt. Only late garbage time TDs by Nova made it respectable on paper.

Like I said before, no way in heck W&M should be behind Nova and UD.

JMUNJ08
November 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM

3. Villanova 6-2 616 5
4. Delaware 7-1 602 6
7. Wofford 7-1 512 10
12. Liberty 6-2 386 12
16. Montana 6-3 297 7
18. Cal Poly 6-3 192 20
19. Penn 6-1 187 21
22. Richmond 4-4 108 14

Others receiving votes (points in parentheses): Weber State (38), Robert Morris (28), Lehigh (23), Dayton (22), Chattanooga (19), Northern Arizona (13), Southern Utah (13), Indiana State(12), Harvard (10), Sacramento State (10), McNeese State (7), Florida A&M (5), Texas Southern (5), Jackson State (2), Georgia Southern (1), Furman (1), Missouri State (1)

Slotting system at its finest? Have any of the coaches seen Weber/Robert Morris/Lehigh/Chatty play this year? No way JMU and especially UR should be in there...

VBR_Productions
November 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
Hahaha. You're funny.

No disrespect was intended. Having seen each of the three CAA schools multiple times, I think they could beat Jacksonville State head-to-head. Starting the season 8-0 is impressive, no matter your opponents or conference.

PantherRob82
November 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM
UNH is #8?

JSU02
November 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM
No disrespect was intended. Having seen each of the three CAA schools multiple times, I think they could beat Jacksonville State head-to-head. Starting the season 8-0 is impressive, no matter your opponents or conference.

And how many times have you seen the Gamecocks play?

VBR_Productions
November 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM
And how many times have you seen the Gamecocks play?

Once. This is obviously not the entire population of your season. My opinion is based on what I've seen of the CAA teams and what I've researched about Jacksonville State. Not having seen them in person as much I can only go by actual results and reports from other fans. The Gamecocks have defeated seven FCS teams whose combined record is 23-36; four of those victories were by a touchdown or less. They have picked it up recently by winning a combined 80-3 in the last two games. Prior to the last victory on 10/23, JSU was being outgained by an average of 369-350.

Conversely, in addition to watching the CAA teams play, Nova/W&M/UD are beating other quality teams regularly ranked in the FCS top 25. Maybe I would think otherwise if I have seen JSU more games - I have no problem admitting that. But based on what I've seen with my own eyes and what I have read, I don't think my position is unreasonable.

VUCats02
November 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
But Nova???? Anyone who watched that game, knew that game was over by the 4th Quarter. That game was never in doubt. Only late garbage time TDs by Nova made it respectable on paper.

Really?? Yeah W&M dominated the game, but guess what? South Carolina dominated and beat Alabama at home. Does that mean South Carolina is better than Alabama? Of course not! I do not understand whatsoever why people think just because Team A beat Team B, means Team A should be ranked higher than Team B. Nova played about 50% of what they are capable of playing against W&M - with or without Szczur. Please note that I am not taking anything away from William and Mary. If it were up to me, from what I have seen this season so far, Delaware is the best team in the CAA, W&M is the second best, and Nova comes in at 3rd, though it is not a big difference between any of the teams. However, W&M beat Delaware, yes, and they beat Villanova, yes - but just because W&M beat Delaware doesn't automatically mean they should be ranked above them. They were the home team for both of those games. You could easily argue W&M would have lost both games if both were on the road. You could also easily argue that they had a bye week before they played Delaware, so they were more prepared and more rested. Villanova was coming off a tough, physical battle against a gritty city rival in UPenn the week before W&M, while W&M was playing Maine - a team that W&M has no emotional connection to, and had a lot less of a physical battle the prior week.

Plus, if you're going to drop Villanova for losing to Temple, you have to drop W&M for losing to UNC.

JSU02
November 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Once.

Ok, thats what I had thought.
Was it the Georgia State game?

Fear the Bird
November 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hahaha. You're funny.

Not saying either way because I honestly have not seem them play and can't offer an opinion, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how Jax St. fares in the playoffs b/c they are sure a Cocky bunch! (pun intended)

WestCoastAggie
November 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Really?? Yeah W&M dominated the game, but guess what? South Carolina dominated and beat Alabama at home. Does that mean South Carolina is better than Alabama? Of course not! I do not understand whatsoever why people think just because Team A beat Team B, means Team A should be ranked higher than Team B. Nova played about 50% of what they are capable of playing against W&M - with or without Szczur. Please note that I am not taking anything away from William and Mary. If it were up to me, from what I have seen this season so far, Delaware is the best team in the CAA, W&M is the second best, and Nova comes in at 3rd, though it is not a big difference between any of the teams. However, W&M beat Delaware, yes, and they beat Villanova, yes - but just because W&M beat Delaware doesn't automatically mean they should be ranked above them. They were the home team for both of those games. You could easily argue W&M would have lost both games if both were on the road. You could also easily argue that they had a bye week before they played Delaware, so they were more prepared and more rested. Villanova was coming off a tough, physical battle against a gritty city rival in UPenn the week before W&M, while W&M was playing Maine - a team that W&M has no emotional connection to, and had a lot less of a physical battle the prior week.

Plus, if you're going to drop Villanova for losing to Temple, you have to drop W&M for losing to UNC.

But neither 'Nova or W&M should be dropped for losing to FBS teams. Both games went down to the wire and are arguably some of the best FCS teams this season.

VBR_Productions
November 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
Ok, thats what I had thought.
Was it the Georgia State game?

No, it was the Ole Miss game. That was a treat to watch.

tribefan40
November 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM

I'm so glad that we are revisiting this. First off, Nova was DOMINATED by W&M. I give props to UD because they played great, had a chance, lost it, and then accepted the loss graciously. If you watched the Nova/W&M game, which you clearly didn't, you would have noticed that we started our #2 QB, we had just lost our #1 WR, Grimes was banged up, and we were missing a handful of other starters. Sorry friend, Nova is a good team, but they got flat out beat in that game.

To your second point: Yes, Nova was dropped, ONE SPOT, behind APP. We were dropped one-two spots after our loss depending on the poll, but to teams that we beat. It's our fault for not finishing the game and getting the win we deserved, but the rankings are nothing short of bull. xmadx

jmufan999
November 1st, 2010, 03:24 PM
I'm so glad that we are revisiting this. First off, Nova was DOMINATED by W&M.

i watched from start to finish and totally agree. W&M made me a believer that day. i hope you guys have a little mercy on us when we play you in a few weeks. it could get very, very ugly for us.

VUCats02
November 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM
tribefan, I watched every minute of the W&M vs Nova game, and every minute of the W&M vs UNC game and I saw a good chunk of the W&M vs Delaware game. You did start your #2 QB against nova, who just happens to be better than your #1 QB. Paulus is a better athlete and gives W&M a better chance to win than Callahan ANY day. Nova would have had a BETTER chance to beat W&M if Callahan played instead of Paulus - so that is an irrelevant consideration. Nova was missing just as many starters, if not, more than W&M. You seem to have missed my point. Nova played a city rival in a tough, physical battle the week before, and came in very banged up and emotionally worn down against W&M. W&M played Maine the week before and yes, it was close, however, I can assure you that the physical wear and tear that W&M had to deal with in that game was not even close to what Nova dealt with against what was last year's statistically best defense in all of FCS. Oh yeah, and who did Delaware play the week before W&M? Rhode Island - Again, hardly a "wear and tear" type game. Nothing against Maine and Rhode Island, but when CAA South teams play CAA north teams, the physicality is just not the same. It's much easier to get up, and move on for the next game after playing teams like Maine and Rhode Island than it is to play an in-city rival who is a top 20 FCS team.

If W&M had played JMU or Richmond, and Nova had played Rhode Island or Maine, the week before Nova played W&M, you would have seen a complete different result. My point is that just because you beat and "dominate" a team one week, doesn't mean you're better than them. Like I said before, I'm not saying nova IS better than w&m - just showing that people shouldn't overreact when their team is ranked lower than a team they beat. Are you willing to tell me right now that the Cleveland Browns are a better football team than the New Orleans Saints???? I think not...

Da Coach
November 1st, 2010, 06:05 PM
A link did not come with the release but if I get one I will post it.

Twelve Conferences Represented in this Week’s Poll

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Jacksonville Dolphins break into this week’s top 25 to become the first team from the Pioneer league to make an appearance in the 2010 Football Championship Subdivision Coaches Poll this season. The debut of a team from the Pioneer League gives twelve conferences representation in this week’s poll. The Dolphins enter the poll at No. 25.

Jacksonville (8-1) has used one of the most explosive offenses in FCS football to climb into the top 25. The Dolphins lead the nation in scoring with 45.4 points per game, and they lead the nation in total offense with 512.56 yards per game. Jacksonville is the only team in FCS football to average more than 500 yards of offense per game. The Dolphins are led by junior quarterback Josh McGregor, who threw for 347 yards and seven touchdowns in the 61-17 win over Morehead State over the weekend. The Dolphins collected their seventh straight win, which tied the school record set in 2008. The lone loss for Jacksonville this season was to Appalachian State, which is No. 1 in the poll for the eighth straight week.

The Mountaineers received 27 first-place votes and 699 total points to remain No. 1. Jacksonville State claimed the other first-place vote and 668 total points, as the Gamecocks remained No. 2. Villanova and Delaware moved up two spots to No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, and William & Mary dropped a spot to round out the top five.

Eastern Washington moved up to No. 6 this week, and Wofford jumped three spots to No. 7 after defeating The Citadel 35-0 over the weekend. New Hampshire is up one this week at No. 8, while Stephen F. Austin fell six spots to No. 9 after losing 27-24 to Texas State. Southeast Missouri State is the final team in this week’s top 10.

Jacksonville is the only team new to this week’s poll, while Chattanooga was the one team to drop out of the rankings.

The twelve conferences that are represented in this week’s poll is led by the Colonial Athletic Association with seven ranked teams. The Big Sky and Missouri Valley Conferences each have three ranked teams, while the Mid-Eastern Athletic, Ohio Valley and Southern Conferences have two teams each. The Ivy and Pioneer League, and the Big South, Great West, Southland and the Southwest Athletic Conferences each have one team in this week’s poll.

FCS Coaches Poll is based exclusively on a voting panel of head coaches in the FCS under the cooperation of the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) and the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) and is administered by the Southern Conference.

3. Villanova 6-2 616 5
4. Delaware 7-1 602 6
7. Wofford 7-1 512 10
12. Liberty 6-2 386 12
16. Montana 6-3 297 7
18. Cal Poly 6-3 192 20
19. Penn 6-1 187 21
22. Richmond 4-4 108 14

Come on, man! Didn't WIU beat NDSU AT the Fargo Dome? Really? Come on, Man!!!

Da Coach
November 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM
And, NDSU lost to Illinois State (the new Indiana State of the MVFC) ~ yes, the same Ill. St. team that WIU beat 65-38! Come on, Man!