PDA

View Full Version : UND--Big Sky Bound?

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 09:41 AM
http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2010/10/28/conference-chatter-part-iii/

An informed official from a position in the BSC has informed us off the record that “an unofficial invite has been extended to UND, USD and SUU”.

xthumbsupx So much for the Summit/Indy League!! Hello Big Sky!!!!

Gil Dobie
October 29th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm assuming a full membership means USD is out of the Summit?

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm assuming a full membership means USD is out of the Summit?

Sounds like it, I think we are a packaged deal for every sport.

Big Al
October 29th, 2010, 10:07 AM
While I understand the reasons why UND would go to the Big Sky, I think this is not going to be a great long-term home for the Sioux (or whatever you will call yourselves). Maybe the addition of USD as a travel partner will help but I foresee lots of cost issues in the future.

While I understand why the MVFC wouldn't be interested in both UxD schools at this time, I think a strong case could be made for adding USD and splitting into East/West divisions. That being said, if/when YSU, IlSU, or MSU lives the dream of moving up to the MAC/Sunbelt, UND would make a logical addition to the conference.

FCS conferences, especially the ones out West like the MVFC & the Big Sky, should really focus on regionalism. Their first order of business needs to be making sure the economics of athletics at their member institutions is viable in the long-term. Being big doesn't hold any advantages like it does for BCS conferences, where they can offset increased travel costs with increased TV revenue. Adding UND & USD for all sports in the Big Sky strikes me more as a ploy to keep the Big Sky's prominance as a mid-major conference without looking out for it's member institution's interests.

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 10:17 AM
While I understand the reasons why UND would go to the Big Sky, I think this is not going to be a great long-term home for the Sioux (or whatever you will call yourselves). Maybe the addition of USD as a travel partner will help but I foresee lots of cost issues in the future.

While I understand why the MVFC wouldn't be interested in both UxD schools at this time, I think a strong case could be made for adding USD and splitting into East/West divisions. That being said, if/when YSU, IlSU, or MSU lives the dream of moving up to the MAC/Sunbelt, UND would make a logical addition to the conference.

FCS conferences, especially the ones out West like the MVFC & the Big Sky, should really focus on regionalism. Their first order of business needs to be making sure the economics of athletics at their member institutions is viable in the long-term. Being big doesn't hold any advantages like it does for BCS conferences, where they can offset increased travel costs with increased TV revenue. Adding UND & USD for all sports in the Big Sky strikes me more as a ploy to keep the Big Sky's prominance as a mid-major conference without looking out for it's member institution's interests.

Actually I don't think it is either I think we will eventually end up with the SU's in the MVFC with USD with us and maybe even the MVC in other sports too and not the Summit. But a lot has to happen and it could be years and years before this happens. Oh and until hockey season ends in Apirl you may still call us the Fighting Sioux.:D

Big Al
October 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Actually I don't think it is either I think we will eventually end up with the SU's in the MVFC with USD with us and maybe even the MVC in other sports too and not the Summit. But a lot has to happen and it could be years and years before this happens. Oh and until hockey season ends in Apirl you may still call us the Fighting Sioux.:D

With Drake, Creighton, Bradley & Evansville in the MVC, don't expect another state school in the MVC for another decade, if ever. Adding UNI in 1991 was pretty controversial and considering how they dominate several sports, I don't see the private schools as enjoying the decision even today. Of course, those same schools would love to add St. Louis (C-USA), Butler (Horizon), Depaul (Big East) or Marquette (Big East), so it seems delusions of grandeur is a pretty common problem at all levels.

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 10:31 AM
With Drake, Creighton, Bradley & Evansville in the MVC, don't expect another state school in the MVC for another decade, if ever. Adding UNI in 1991 was pretty controversial and considering how they dominate several sports, I don't see the private schools as enjoying the decision even today. Of course, those same schools would love to add St. Louis (C-USA), Butler (Horizon), Depaul (Big East) or Marquette (Big East), so it seems delusions of grandeur is a pretty common problem at all levels.

Creighton was one of the original members of the North Central Conference back in the 1920's. Would be nice to be reunited with them. But who knows in a decade what teams play for what conference with all the musical chairs in switching conferences that is going on now. Maybe the Big 10 will be the Big 30 by then.xlolx

GtFllsGriz
October 29th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I personally look forward to UND joining the BSC. In hindsight, I think the BSC has taken the wrong path in additions to the conference. I am disappointed to see crowds in the 5000 range. NDSU & SDSU would have been great additions as will USD and UND. I hope it come to pass. I look forward to seeing to seeing UND in Wash-Griz in a couple of weeks.

100%GRIZ
October 29th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Sorry UND - But you can only come into the Big Sky if you are the Fighting Sioux!

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Sorry UND - But you can only come into the Big Sky if you are the Fighting Sioux!

Even though our name will change...we will ALWAYS be the Fighting Sioux!!

Hambone
October 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM

I will still not be convinced until it is formally announced...... :)

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I will still not be convinced until it is formally announced...... :)

Thats why they say unoffical...to get everyone's hopes up. I just hope it comes true.

MplsBison
October 29th, 2010, 11:55 AM

From your own link:

Faison also stated they will move forward with their Summit visit early next week.

It's not over yet! Lets see if Douple can make a pitch that will get UND second guessing their options.

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 12:53 PM
From your own link:

It's not over yet! Lets see if Douple can make a pitch that will get UND second guessing their options.

Of course he will go ahead with the Summit. I think UND might use the Summit as a backup to ultimately get into the MVFC. And have the Summit there if and when we leave the BSC.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Of course he will go ahead with the Summit. I think UND might use the Summit as a backup to ultimately get into the MVFC. And have the Summit there if and when we leave the BSC.
What are the chances that UND and USD are trying to join the BSC as football only affiliates like Cal Poly and UC Davis are? I know that USD would prefer that as it would get them out of having to pay the Summit buyout. I would think UND knows that an invitation to the Summit is forthcoming after the campus visit so they're in a more flexible position than USD is in that regard. Ultimately those schools are going to do what's best for themselves but as an NDSU fan I'd prefer to see them in the Summit in non-football sports to maintain the stability of the conference. Although the Big Sky has all the leverage in that regard since they can basically hold the football programs hostage.

Big Al
October 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Although the Big Sky has all the leverage in that regard since they can basically hold the football programs hostage.

That's the part that puzzles me -- why does the Big Sky want the UxDs so badly for all sports? I can see the logic in football but when it comes to everything else, I would be pursuing other, closer options, such as Utah Valley or, heck, even the U of Denver.

Sec310
October 29th, 2010, 01:50 PM
If the Big Sky adds SUU and the Montanas do not leave, they will have 12 teams for football and 10 for other sports. Why would they want a 14 team football and a 12 team all sports conference?

Or does adding these three schools mean the Montanas are leaving for the WAC?

Is the Big Sky waiting until the Montanas make a decision to add the Dakotas?

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM
That's the part that puzzles me -- why does the Big Sky want the UxDs so badly for all sports? I can see the logic in football but when it comes to everything else, I would be pursuing other, closer options, such as Utah Valley or, heck, even the U of Denver.
They may be preparing for possible defections of other schools in the non-football sports (Sac State going the Big West) or the Montana schools in all sports? I know that all signs are pointing away from that right now but we're there any signs of the Big Sky offering invites to UND and USD when Cal Poly and UC Davis joined as football only members. I think there's a lot going on under the covers in the BSC right now and we can only speculate regarding most of it.

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I personally would rather have a football only in the BSC and other sports in the Summit. But if the BSC says is all sports or no conference. We have no choice.

Sec310
October 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
The site is just a fan site. This writer doesn't have anymore inside information than anybody else.

Just like that SUU fan, had inside info about a press conference in Wed.

Until and unless SUU, USD and UND get Big Sky invitations, all this talk is nothing but BS.

Big Al
October 29th, 2010, 03:19 PM
They may be preparing for possible defections of other schools in the non-football sports (Sac State going the Big West) or the Montana schools in all sports?

Certainly. I just think there are better options than the UxDs for the Big Sky.

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 04:11 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/296496/group/homepage/

UND says Summit League....NO THANKS!!!

University of North Dakota athletic director Brian Faison has announced that The Summit League site visit, scheduled for next Monday and Tuesday, has been canceled by UND.

UND has also been in talks with the Big Sky Conference.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hmmm, I wonder what UND is going to do now?!?! haha

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hmmm, I wonder what UND is going to do now?!?! haha

That should almost say what the Big Sky's big announcement will be.

darell1976
October 29th, 2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/181375/

There was no other immediate reaction from UND regarding the canceled visit.

Just a parade of celebration down University Ave. by its fans!!!!!!!!!