PDA

View Full Version : TXST - What Happens If?

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM
What happens if TXST gets the WAC invite in the next 30 days or so?

Would football be an FCS Independent in 2011? Would they be a Southland Conference member in football in 2011? A member of the Southland in all sports?

They could easily become an all sport member in 2012-13 when Nevada, Fresno State leave, but what exactly would be their calendar if they got the WAC invite?

UTSA does not essentially matter - for sole reasons, that they do not play SLC football and never planned to do so. TXST does matter because that's a game on the slate of the eight other institutions who plan to play a SLC slate in '11.

nwFL Griz
October 28th, 2010, 03:01 PM
What happens if TXST gets the WAC invite in the next 30 days or so?

Would football be an FCS Independent in 2011? Would they be a Southland Conference member in football in 2011? A member of the Southland in all sports?

They could easily become an all sport member in 2012-13 when Nevada, Fresno State leave, but what exactly would be their calendar if they got the WAC invite?

UTSA does not essentially matter - for sole reasons, that they do not play SLC football and never planned to do so. TXST does matter because that's a game on the slate of the eight other institutions who plan to play a SLC slate in '11.

Typically, the leaving institution gives a date of withdrawal. Does the Southland have any rules on timeline? I would imagine they notify the Southland that they are withdrawing, effective 30 June 2012, or something to that effect, and remain a member in good standing until that date.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Typically, the leaving institution gives a date of withdrawal. Does the Southland have any rules on timeline? I would imagine they notify the Southland that they are withdrawing, effective 30 June 2012, or something to that effect, and remain a member in good standing until that date.

TXST wants to pay the exit fee and leave immediately, at least that's what it has sounded like - it's not a substantial exit fee ($250k) and TXST from what their fans say has a guy lined up to pay it.

If they do pay the exit fee immediately - how does that work for 2011? I would have thought the 2011-12 schools are locked since June 30, 2010 has passed. Would figure TXST would be free to go with the exit fee on July 1, 2012 if they inform the SLC before June 30, 2011.

lionsrking2
October 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
TXST wants to pay the exit fee and leave immediately, at least that's what it has sounded like - it's not a substantial exit fee ($250k) and TXST from what their fans say has a guy lined up to pay it.

If they do pay the exit fee immediately - how does that work for 2011? I would have thought the 2011-12 schools are locked since June 30, 2010 has passed. Would figure TXST would be free to go with the exit fee on July 1, 2012 if they inform the SLC before June 30, 2011.

I say boot 'em out immediately...if they don't wanna be here and feel we're "holding them back" from becoming the "rising star of Texas," I say good riddance.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I say boot 'em out immediately...if they don't wanna be here and feel we're "holding them back" from becoming the "rising star of Texas," I say good riddance.

The SLC 'heads of state' have probably figured this out - could easily re-do the slates if UTSA, TXST leave early enough. The new football opening would be tough, but I am sure many would be willing to keep TXST on schedule - especially is TXST is willing to do a home-and-home over next two years or pay guarantee for a home game for Bobcats.

Football - back to seven SLC games with four OOC games
Baseball/Softball - Instead of 33 conference games - you play 30. Play eight conference teams once and your natural rival (i.e. SFA/SHSU, Nich/SLU) home-and-home annually.
Basketball - 10 teams. Play everyone twice for 18 games. Will help OOC scheduling to stay at 18.
Volleyball - Options here. Could play everyone twice OR play your division twice, other division once or some hybrid.
Soccer/Tennis - Play everyone once

McNeese75
October 28th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Do you really think Tx State is going to clean their game slate and try to book 11 different games for 2011? If they pay the exit fee and get out of the conference before the 2011 season begins, the SLC games would just be non-conference games for the member schools. I am sure they would like to scrap some of the games and book FBS schools and they might be able to do that for some but I doubt they can for all of them unless they put on their comfortable shoes and travel for all of them.

I cannot see them being able to alter their schedule significantly for next year xtwocentsx

msusig
October 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Has there been any indication from the Southland who would replace UTSA and/or Texas State in the SLC?

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Do you really think Tx State is going to clean their game slate and try to book 11 different games for 2011? If they pay the exit fee and get out of the conference before the 2011 season begins, the SLC games would just be non-conference games for the member schools. I am sure they would like to scrap some of the games and book FBS schools and they might be able to do that for some but I doubt they can for all of them unless they put on their comfortable shoes and travel for all of them.

The Bobcats traveling to Thibodaux one last time... LOL! :)

I would hope that TXST leaving knocks that game off the SHSU slate. We're supposed to go to them next year. Would prefer we would not. Already have UTSA on the slate for '11. Ideally - we'd get to pick up a true FCS counter to start a home-and-home with.

Think the SHSU season may be a good one next year with what we have coming back and what SFA doesn't, plus NWST comes to Huntsville and they are looking to be be legit.

purplejacks
October 28th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Last week in Houston, I asked the Asst. AD at the tailgate what happens if and when TSU gets the WAC bid. He said that as he understood it, if they accept the offer from the WAC (which they will) they IMMEDIATELY BECOME INELIGIBLE for all SLC Championships. Did not mean they still wont continue to play, but all contest would be considered non-conference games. Makes sense, why would the SLC want to possibly let TSU have one of their NCAA Bids if they are already going to another conference. Personally, I hope they get their offer this week so all of their sports dont count in the SLC standings.

txstatebobcat
October 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
The way I see it is that the only way TxSt skips out on the SLC for the 2011-12 season is if the bobcats joined the WAC for non-football sports next year. Otherwise we will be an SLC member in good standing until we jump ship in the Summer of 2012. In this scenario I'm not even sure we would have to pay the exit fine unless more than a year's notice is required.
Also it would be in the SLC's best interest to follow this model since it would leave all the other schools scrambling to fill their schedules and may end up, in football at least, playing two D-II Schools instead of the usual one.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
The way I see it is that the only way TxSt skips out on the SLC for the 2011-12 season is if the bobcats joined the WAC for non-football sports next year. Otherwise we will be an SLC member in good standing until we jump ship in the Summer of 2012. In this scenario I'm not even sure we would have to pay the exit fine unless more than a year's notice is required.

Also it would be in the SLC's best interest to follow this model since it would leave all the other schools scrambling to fill their schedules and may end up, in football at least, playing two D-II Schools instead of the usual one.

I agree - but let's remember that it's typically the other schools that strive for full Div I schedules. TXST has their own struggles in scheduling... ;)

TXST in the SLC for 2011-12, but I do not see how you could make them ineligible for everything. Guess we'll see. Seems that football, you'd make them ineligible for (or actually the NCAA does that), but the other sports - they would still be eligible for championships. It'd be like UCA all over again from a few years back, when you know someone is better the team, but they do not get the golden egg.

aztecjim
October 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
On what day does the NCAA moratorium on schools moving end? I thought (I may be wrong) it wasn't until later in the summner. If so, doesn't a school have to wait until July 2012 then serve a two year "probationary period"? Please correct me, if I am wrong.

txstatebobcat
October 28th, 2010, 09:17 PM
On what day does the NCAA moratorium on schools moving end? I thought (I may be wrong) it wasn't until later in the summner. If so, doesn't a school have to wait until July 2012 then serve a two year "probationary period"? Please correct me, if I am wrong.

From everything I've read you are correct. The moratorium ends in August 2011.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
From everything I've read you are correct. The moratorium ends in August 2011.

Which would mean that TXST is without question, stuck in the SLC for the '11-12 year for all sports. They could be a WAC member in non-football sports in '12-13 and then in the WAC for all sports in '13-14.

Cat79
October 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Which would mean that TXST is without question, stuck in the SLC for the '11-12 year for all sports. They could be a WAC member in non-football sports in '12-13 and then in the WAC for all sports in '13-14.

I think you are right on this TT. We will have to fill our non conference games with WAC teams. We have Texas Tech scheduled for 2011 and Houston for 2012. San Jose State is wanting a game in 2011.

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Has there been any indication from the Southland who would replace UTSA and/or Texas State in the SLC?

Incarnate Word?

BearsCountry
October 28th, 2010, 11:41 PM
It looks like Fresno State and Nevada are staying until 2012 now. Texas State will then jump ship in 2012 and everything will be fine.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I think you are right on this TT. We will have to fill our non conference games with WAC teams. We have Texas Tech scheduled for 2011 and Houston for 2012. San Jose State is wanting a game in 2011.

San Jose State is wanting a game? That was a fan. San Jose State is getting paid to play Stanford. They'd have to pay you guys at least 50% more than they are getting from Stanford in order for you guys to head out there for a one-way guarantee game.

Incarnate Word?

Incarnate Word was one in the mix if they did not find a conference home. The likely Div II add-on is Tarleton State. Would love if the SLC actively pursued Oral Roberts as a non-football member to replace UTSA.

It looks like Fresno State and Nevada are staying until 2012 now. Texas State will then jump ship in 2012 and everything will be fine.

Does not seem that TXST could be a football member in 2012 based on the rules...

TexasFan
October 29th, 2010, 08:45 AM
From the Southland Conference Operating Manual:
A withdrawing institution shall be required to participate fully in regular season competition for two (2) full academic years following the official notice of withdrawal. The withdrawal notice can be in writing or in a public statement of its intent to withdraw or public acceptance of an invitation of membership in another conference. If any member fails to fulfill the two year requirement, they will be assessed a financial penalty of $250,000.

Upon notice of an institution's intent to withdraw, the institution's teams become ineligible to compete for Conference team championships on a date determined by the remaining members. Withdrawing members will also forfeit any share of revenue distribution by the Conference office immediately upon its withdrawal notice. The withdrawing member will forfeit all voting privileges on all matters from the time the notice is provided.

If Texas State and/or UTSA choose to join the WAC these provisions will be in force.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Upon notice of an institution's intent to withdraw, the institution's teams become ineligible to compete for Conference team championships on a date determined by the remaining members. Withdrawing members will also forfeit any share of revenue distribution by the Conference office immediately upon its withdrawal notice. The withdrawing member will forfeit all voting privileges on all matters from the time the notice is provided.

Wonder what the SLC's remaining members think about TXST and UTSA's eligibility moving forward for championships, if they were to determine direction in the next 30 days. Would the SLC members want ineligibility to start immediately? Or would they wait until the end of the 2010-11 season and enforce it for 11-12?

TXST and UTSA will buy out earlier than two years. They'll play 11-12 in the SLC, but will buyout in order to get out of 12-13.

nwFL Griz
October 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Ok, this is like the fourth time I've come across this. Do you have a link or anything that shows you guys are actually playing Texas Tech in 2011? Because as of now, based on publically released info, TTU's schedule is full, and it does not include TSU. It is possible, Tech has dropped TCU, Nevada or New Mexico in favor of a game with y'all, but I've not been able to find any info on that.

And San Jose St definitely does need a game next year, likely a home game, so I would think TSU would fit very nicely there.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 29th, 2010, 10:11 AM

The SLC can possibly add Prairie View and Texas Southern since both have football and it would give them an immediate opportunity to play for a spot in the playoffs (which I understand is the goal of Coach Frazier). That would give the SLC two TX schools to replace Texas State and UTSA. It would also allow for a two-divisional alignment for football in which the Texas schools would be in the West with the others in the East. They could add some D2 schools but it could give them a repeat of Central Arkansas's situation.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM
The SLC can possibly add Prairie View and Texas Southern since both have football and it would give them an immediate opportunity to play for a spot in the playoffs (which I understand is the goal of Coach Frazier). That would give the SLC two TX schools to replace Texas State and UTSA. It would also allow for a two-divisional alignment for football in which the Texas schools would be in the West with the others in the East. They could add some D2 schools but it could give them a repeat of Central Arkansas's situation.

Prairie View and Texas Southern are the most financially stable programs in the SWAC... it would also cut back on travel costs and increase the SLC relevance in Houston. I'm not sure PV or TSU would want to give up conference annual dates against Southern or Jackson State - who pending who you ask, routinely out draw the home teams when they come to Houston.

End of the day - not going to happen. TSU and PVAMU need to upgrade baseball/softball facilities and while an upgrade over the situation that some fo the La. schools are getting into, neither wants it. UCA has been very successful in most SLC sports (particularly on the women's side) since coming up. If you get the right Div II, you could do something nice. Of course, I want Oral Roberts!

El Gato
October 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Well, if the rumors prove true, on official invite is to be extended within 30 days (I keep hearing Dec. 1). That said, I'm sure in the ensuing weeks (or days), more info will be released that will paint a clearer picture on future schedules and SLC impications.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Well, if the rumors prove true, on official invite is to be extended within 30 days (I keep hearing Dec. 1). That said, I'm sure in the ensuing weeks (or days), more info will be released that will paint a clearer picture on future schedules and SLC impications.

Looking forward to making sense of this...

I'm interested to see if TXST includes SLC teams on future schedules in football. Assured they will in every other sport, in an effort to keep travel costs down. Only makes sense. Figure TXST will be able to get home-and-home arrangements with Sun Belt teams, in addition to the likely two FBS 'body bag' games.

Cat79
October 29th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Ok, this is like the fourth time I've come across this. Do you have a link or anything that shows you guys are actually playing Texas Tech in 2011? Because as of now, based on publically released info, TTU's schedule is full, and it does not include TSU. It is possible, Tech has dropped TCU, Nevada or New Mexico in favor of a game with y'all, but I've not been able to find any info on that.

Maybe Texas Tech bought us out like TCU did this year. We had a game with University of Houston in the TCU spot.

And San Jose St definitely does need a game next year, likely a home game, so I would think TSU would fit very nicely there.

We would love to accomodate our new conference mates if we can.

Cat79
October 29th, 2010, 11:49 PM

I'm interested to see if TXST includes SLC teams on future schedules in football. Assured they will in every other sport, in an effort to keep travel costs down. Only makes sense. Figure TXST will be able to get home-and-home arrangements with Sun Belt teams, in addition to the likely two FBS 'body bag' games.

TT

I am sure we will have some SLC teams in our pre-conference schedules. I am hearing 2011 is the last year in SLC for football but that could change if the WAC needs us sooner and we pursue the buyout of the SLC. I saw where UTSA has dropped Northwestern State for the 2011 season. All of the other sports could be gone from the SLC after this year if the conference forces the buyout.

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I am sure we will have some SLC teams in our pre-conference schedules. I am hearing 2011 is the last year in SLC for football but that could change if the WAC needs us sooner and we pursue the buyout of the SLC. I saw where UTSA has dropped Northwestern State for the 2011 season. All of the other sports could be gone from the SLC after this year if the conference forces the buyout.

The WAC needs you guys in 2012. May just need to 'get by' in 2012 though. Not sure how you can do it from a moratorium standpoint and transition process. Why would the NCAA bend over backwards to do something they've strongly stood on hold for the last four years? Other sports will be in the WAC sooner than football - obviously. Figure that's 2012 for all sports sans football.

El Gato
October 30th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Schedluing the LA schools wouldn't to difficult seeing as they are all scheduling two FBS opponents.

TexasTerror
October 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Schedluing the LA schools wouldn't to difficult seeing as they are all scheduling two FBS opponents.

Don't get me started on that subject... ugh! And three guarantee games this past year in the case of Nicholls.