PDA

View Full Version : Prairie View's Goal: Making the FCS Playoffs

3rd Coast Tiger
October 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Led by a brash coach who oozes confidence, Prairie View (5-3, 4-2 SWAC) enters Saturday's 4 p.m. game at Jackson State (5-2, 3-2) on a four-game win streak and eyeing - what's this? - the playoffs.

Panthers coach Henry Frazier realizes his team's two early SWAC losses will likely keep it from winning the SWAC Western Division and competing for the championship.

So, the always bold Frazier has set a new goal: making the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs as an at-large selection.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20101028/SPORTS030101/10280334/Panthers-loaded-with-motivation-for-clash-with-Tigers

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I don't see anyway that happens.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 28th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hey don't kill a man's dream!

danefan
October 28th, 2010, 12:47 PM
No offense to PVA&M but they don't have a 1% chance. Good motivation though

Mr. C
October 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Did anyone notice the Rick Comegy's quote that playing Prairie View last "wouldn't have been good business." He can call it anything he likes, but Jackson State chickened out last year by not scheduling the Panthers.

As far as PVAM making the playoffs, I'd love to see it. Any chance we have to get other conferences involved in the playoffs is great. Henry Frazier and the Panthers, if healthy, could surprise some teams.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM
No offense to PVA&M but they don't have a 1% chance. Good motivation though

I'd like to see a SWAC team, particularly Prairie View, play an NEC team. You might be surprised at how they would do against your champion.

People should be applauding Henry Frazier's attitude. He isn't the typical SWAC coach that just wants to play for a SWAC title. Having spent some time with him, I call tell you his aspirations are much higher than the typical SWAC coach or fan.

danefan
October 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I'd like to see a SWAC team, particularly Prairie View, play an NEC team. You might be surprised at how they would do against your champion.

People should be applauding Henry Frazier's attitude. He isn't the typical SWAC coach that just wants to play for a SWAC title. Having spent some time with him, I call tell you his aspirations are much higher than the typical SWAC coach or fan.

Considering they'd have 20 more scholarships, I wouldn't be surprised by anything. I'd still take RMU or CCSU by 14 over any SWAC team this year.

And the discussion is about an at-large - no NEC team deserves an at-large, but considering the NEC is a much stronger league this year than the SWAC, I'd say the NEC runner up deserves an at-large before the 3rd place SWAC team....but that 'aint saying much.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Frazier has a good attitude and has probably misled his players into believing that they have a shot at an at-large if they win out, but it's just not reasonable at this point in time...

They are 68th currently in GPI, that's too far a road... even Texas Southern is almost 10 spots higher..

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0At2w-dbZUZ2gdHp5UlpIQ242UTVxbm42OUZDNGtHMUE&hl=en&output=html

Catmendue2
October 28th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Frazier has a good attitude and has probably misled his players into believing that they have a shot at an at-large if they win out, but it's just not reasonable at this point in time...

They are 68th currently in GPI, that's too far a road... even Texas Southern is almost 10 spots higher..

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0At2w-dbZUZ2gdHp5UlpIQ242UTVxbm42OUZDNGtHMUE&hl=en&output=html

This ranking is misleading Sportsnetwork poll has South CarolinaSU ahead of Grambling and in the top 20, but GPI has Grambling ahead of SCSU, PV is a better team SCSU, so if SCSU is gonna be consider why shouldn't PV and sTu. there are about 10 teams ranked with similar records. If a team like Elon looses all it conference games and still can be in a rock throw out of the playoffs, something is wrong with the selection committee or voting process.

Actually sTu being rated ahead of PV is rediculous PV has beaten sTu for several years in a row, including Labor day weekend.

I personally don't want to see no SWAC team in the playoffs, but to say no SWAC team should be allowed if they finish third in the SWAC is crazy because PV has beaten every team in the SWAC except Grambling which is a really good 6-1 team. I will bet you now that several 3rd place team will make the playoffs.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
This ranking is misleading Sportsnetwork poll has South CarolinaSU ahead of Grambling and in the top 20, but GPI has Grambling ahead of SCSU, PV is a better team SCSU, so if SCSU is gonna be consider why shouldn't PV and sTu. there are about 10 teams ranked with similar records. If a team like Elon looses all it conference games and still can be in a rock throw out of the playoffs, something is wrong with the selection committee or voting process.

Actually sTu being rated ahead of PV is rediculous PV has beaten sTu for several years in a row, including Labor day weekend.

I personally don't want to see no SWAC team in the playoffs, but to say no SWAC team should be allowed if they finish third in the SWAC is crazy because PV has beaten every team in the SWAC except Grambling which is a really good 6-1 team. I will bet you now that several 3rd place team will make the playoffs.

Catmendue,

You ever follow RPI? There are teams ahead of other teams despite W/L record in head-to-head.

It's all about SOS. We've seen SWAC hoops teams with 20 wins behind many other teams with less than 10 wins. All comes down to SOS and more of those factors.

Sports Network is not the 'be all, end all'. As we learned, there has been NUMEROUS questionable voting habits this year.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 28th, 2010, 04:00 PM
There's no way Prairie View will make the playoffs. He knows that, that's just coach talk; just trying to keep his troops inspired for something to play for.

MACHIAVELLI
October 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Coach speak. You guys are falling for the "bananna in the tailpipe trick"

mikebigg
October 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM

I doubt if any of our coaches would object to being selected to the playoffs... Our conference NEVER got an autobid, so we created a "post-season" game between our two division champions. If FCS committee wants to extend an at-large bid, then I'm sure PV would accept. However, please note the "they have no chance" comments that have already been rendered... smh!

mikebigg
October 29th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Considering they'd have 20 more scholarships, I wouldn't be surprised by anything. I'd still take RMU or CCSU by 14 over any SWAC team this year.

And the discussion is about an at-large - no NEC team deserves an at-large, but considering the NEC is a much stronger league this year than the SWAC, I'd say the NEC runner up deserves an at-large before the 3rd place SWAC team....but that 'aint saying much.

This is an opinion... do you have any facts to support this?

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 08:30 AM

There would be no way to prove it since the SWAC did not play any out of conference games against FCS schools with the exception of games against other HBCUs, unless I am mistaken. Do not recall any...

Most out there would probably favor the NEC over the SWAC, just on simple merits of the league in proving their OOC worth compared to the results (or lack their of) by the SWAC this year and historically.

danefan
October 29th, 2010, 09:25 AM

Of course its an opinion. The SWAC won't expose themselves to it being proven a fact. Probably smart on their part.

As TT says - the only thing we have to go on is OOC and even then its tough because there aren't any common games.

The SWAC is only 8-9 OOC this year, with only 3 of those wins coming over DI opponents. Those DI wins were over Tennessee State (3-5 (only 3 wins over SWAC teams)), Delaware State (1-6), and Savanahh State (0-8).

Albany (a middle of the road NEC team this year) has better OOC wins (Maine and Yale) then all of the SWAC combined.

Not to mention that Robert Morris has a win over a currently ranked Top 20 teams.

So yes, its an opinion that is based on two points (1) personal comparison - SWAC teams play televised games and I've watched a lot of NEC teams this year; and (2) OOC games.

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM
The SWAC is only 8-9 OOC this year, with only 3 of those wins coming over DI opponents. Those DI wins were over Tennessee State (3-5 (only 3 wins over SWAC teams)), Delaware State (1-6), and Savanahh State (0-8).

Can we compare the NEC's record against sub-Div I teams to that of the SWAC? Believe the SWAC has at least two losses this year to sub-Div I teams. Are the sub-Div I teams the NEC is beating better than those of the SWAC?

IaaScribe
October 29th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Can we compare the NEC's record against sub-Div I teams to that of the SWAC? Believe the SWAC has at least two losses this year to sub-Div I teams. Are the sub-Div I teams the NEC is beating better than those of the SWAC?

NEC losses to sub-DIs:
Assumption 24, Wagner 9

That's it. Assumption is currently 6-2.

aceinthehole
October 29th, 2010, 10:12 AM
The NEC is 3-1 vs D-II opponents this year.

Sep 11 - W Bryant vs. Saint Anselm, 44-21
Sep 11 - W CCSU vs. Bentley, 45-14
Sep 11 - L Wagner at Assumption, 9-24
Sep 18 - W Bryant vs. Merrimack, 46-29

For the record, Assumption also beat the Fordham this year and Bryant beat Fordham in week 1.

Also, other than Wagner, I don't know of any other NEC member that has lost to a D-II or D-III team since 2003.

Sep 06, 2003 - L Saint Francis vs Gannon (PA), 20-52

danefan
October 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
NEC losses to sub-DIs:
Assumption 24, Wagner 9

That's it. Assumption is currently 6-2.

The loss to Assumption wasn't looking terrible early on, especially considering that Assumption has two DI wins (Wagner and Fordham). Assumption, has however taken 2 NE-10 loses which diminishes their strength a bit. It could end up being a pretty bad loss at the end of the season.

I think the SWAC's two sub-DI loses are to Tuskegee (6-2) and Ark-Monticello (3-4).

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Deriso is spending a bit too much time on message boards to come up with blog entries... glad we're providing him some decent material, but even he has to know about what is a legitimate stretch and what isn't...

Latest on HBCUs and the playoffs...

http://www.thederisoreport.com/2010/10/28/will-the-expanded-fcs-playoff-bracket-benefit-black-college-teams/

3rd Coast Tiger
October 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Deriso is spending a bit too much time on message boards to come up with blog entries... glad we're providing him some decent material, but even he has to know about what is a legitimate stretch and what isn't...

Latest on HBCUs and the playoffs...

http://www.thederisoreport.com/2010/10/28/will-the-expanded-fcs-playoff-bracket-benefit-black-college-teams/

Don't dislocate that shoulder of yours! xlolx

WestCoastAggie
October 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM
The loss to Assumption wasn't looking terrible early on, especially considering that Assumption has two DI wins (Wagner and Fordham). Assumption, has however taken 2 NE-10 loses which diminishes their strength a bit. It could end up being a pretty bad loss at the end of the season.

I think the SWAC's two sub-DI loses are to Tuskegee (6-2) and Ark-Monticello (3-4).

For a comparison, WSSU defeated both NCA&T and NCCU and is currently 8-1.

danefan
October 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM
For a comparison, WSSU defeated both NCA&T and NCCU and is currently 8-1.

Interesting to see how WSSU's move down has paid off for them. Although I suspect they are still reaping the benefit of recruiting classes that were intended to be DI players right?

WestCoastAggie
October 29th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Interesting to see how WSSU's move down has paid off for them. Although I suspect they are still reaping the benefit of recruiting classes that were intended to be DI players right?

Absolutely. WSSU comfortably funding 30 Scholarships, the rest of the CIAA is funding about 20-25 scholarships.

JohnStOnge
October 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
PV is a better team SCSU,

If "SCSU" is South Carollina State I don't know if that's true. If you look at the "average" of ranking systems at http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm South Carolina State is at 37 and Prairie View is at 62. Actually that tells me that neither of them have much of a shot at an at large bid. But it also tells me that there's some question about the statement that Prairie View is better than South Carolina State.

ngineer
October 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I just think it's great that Prairie View has come back from the dregs of being the worst program in America several years ago to now becoming a competitive force. It's good motivation and if they run the table, who knows?

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I wish the SWAC could fine a way to participate in the FCS playoffs. SWAC schools have such a rich football history.

Mr. C
October 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I doubt if any of our coaches would object to being selected to the playoffs... Our conference NEVER got an autobid, so we created a "post-season" game between our two division champions. If FCS committee wants to extend an at-large bid, then I'm sure PV would accept. However, please note the "they have no chance" comments that have already been rendered... smh!

The SWAC has actually received auto bids in the past. Listed below from the College Sporting News archives are the year-by-year auto bids for the I-AA/FCS playoffs:

HISTORY OF NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS SELECTION

1978-1980 (4 teams): No Automatic Qualifiers
1981-1982 (8 teams): AQs: Big Sky, MEAC, OVC, Yankee, SWAC, Independent; 2 at-large
1983 (12 teams): AQs: Southern, Southland, Big Sky, OVC, Yankee, 2 Independents; 5 at-large
1984 (12 teams): AQs: Southern, Southland, Big Sky, OVC, Yankee, SWAC, 2 Independents; 4 at-large
1985 (12 teams): AQs: Big Sky, OVC, Southern, Southland, SWAC, Yankee, 2 Independents; 4 at-large
1986 (16 teams): AQs: Big Sky, MEAC, Gateway, OVC, Southern, Southland, Yankee, 2 Independents; 7 at-large
1987-1988 (16 teams): AQs: Big Sky, Gateway, OVC, Southern, Southland, Yankee, 2 Independents; 8 at-large
1989-1991 (16 teams): AQs: Big Sky, Gateway, OVC, Southern, Southland, Yankee, 1 Independent; 9 at-large
1992-1995 (16 teams): AQs: Big Sky, Gateway, OVC, Southern, Southland, Yankee; 10 at-large
1996-1997 (16 teams): AQs: A-10, Big Sky, Gateway, MEAC, OVC, Southern, Southland; 9 at-large
1998-2006 (16 teams): AQs: A-10, Big Sky, Gateway, MEAC, OVC, Patriot, Southern, Southland; 8 at-large
2007 (16 teams): AQs: Big Sky, CAA (former A-10), Gateway, MEAC, OVC, Patriot, Southern, Southland; 8 at-large
2008 (16 teams): AQs: Big Sky, CAA, MEAC, MVFC (former Gateway), OVC, Patriot, Southern, Southland; Possible “bridge” AQ for the NEC or 8 at-large
2009 (16 teams): AQs: Big Sky, CAA, MEAC, MVFC (former Gateway), OVC, Patriot, Southern, Southland; Possible “bridge” AQ for the NEC or 8 at-large

And someday, a SWAC team will earn another at-large bid.