PDA

View Full Version : B-CU ready for close-up with nation on ESPNU (Thursday, Kick-off 7:35 pm EST)

Humble Steward
October 28th, 2010, 08:29 AM
DAYTONA BEACH -- Followers of college football's second tier (formerly Division I-AA; formally the Football Championship Subdivision) have likely been wondering about what's behind Bethune-Cookman's turnaround this season.

They'll get their best chance yet to take a look for themselves tonight as B-CU, ranked 12th in the national FCS poll, plays North Carolina A&T at Daytona Beach's Municipal Stadium, and the game will be televised live on ESPN's college-dedicated channel, ESPNU.

"It's still football," B-CU coach Brian Jenkins said. "You still have to play on a 100-yard field between the white lines. It hasn't disrupted us at all. We're getting prepared for the game and will be ready to play."

But even Jenkins, who insists on keeping outside distractions to a minimum -- or non-existent, preferably -- doesn't downplay the positives of the type of exposure only national television can provide.

"It's great national exposure for the program," he said. "Everyone will see what Bethune-Cookman is all about. They'll see the fan support, the alumni involvement. Any time you get on TV nationally, it's a good thing."

It'll be even better if the Wildcats can maintain their roll. The 'Cats weren't at their best this last Saturday, but the result was a victory at North Carolina Central and a still-spotless 7-0 record.

WileECoyote06
October 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM
The last time BCU played A & T on national television. . . it was what 70- 14?

danefan
October 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Should be a decent game I think.

Too bad I'll have to watch it with the sound off.....the ESPNU MEAC/SWAC announcers are quite possibly the worst in the business.

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Should be a decent game I think.

Too bad I'll have to watch it with the sound off.....the ESPNU MEAC/SWAC announcers are quite possibly the worst in the business.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to seeing them play, but not those horrid announcers.

WestCoastAggie
October 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM
The last time BCU played A & T on national television. . . it was what 70- 14?

70-7

WileECoyote06
October 28th, 2010, 09:59 AM
A & T's only chance is to use their superior running game. BCU apparently has a slight weakness to running teams. But if they are down 20-0 in the first quarter; this game may get extremely ugly.

Humble Steward
October 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM
A & T's only chance is to use their superior running game. BCU apparently has a slight weakness to running teams. But if they are down 20-0 in the first quarter; this game may get extremely ugly.

Maybe a slight weakness against a running team, but overall only allowing 12.9 points per game for the season. See statistics below.

Overall Team Statistics

TEAM STATISTICS BCU OPP
SCORING 286 90
Points Per Game 40.9 12.9
FIRST DOWNS 172 118
Rushing 90 49
Passing 70 47
Penalty 12 22
RUSHING YARDAGE 1704 927
Yards gained rushing 1873 1114
Yards lost rushing 169 187
Rushing Attempts 353 222
Average Per Rush 4.8 4.2
Average Per Game 243.4 132.4
TDs Rushing 26 5
PASSING YARDAGE 1648 1052
Att-Comp-Int 180-116-2 233-112-11
Average Per Pass 9.2 4.5
Average Per Catch 14.2 9.4
Average Per Game 235.4 150.3
TDs Passing 13 4
TOTAL OFFENSE 3352 1979
Total Plays 533 455
Average Per Play 6.3 4.3
Average Per Game 478.9 282.7

Aho_Old_Guy
October 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM

This may well be the first time I've ever seen *A&T* with *superior* and *running game* used in the same sentence.

The Aggies have had to give the ball to Mike Mayhew 25 times a game because, well, they suck throwing the ball. With George Hines coming in at QB, Mayhew may actually stand a chance to get some real running room.

A&T essentially has no chance against BCU. The Aggie defense will make Matt Johnson look like the Payton Award winner. The only chance they have is if BCU turns the ball over 6-7 times (which ain't very likely) and the Aggies manage to hold onto the ball (which they haven't done all year).

BCU could well be up 5-6 TDs before halftime. It's a sad time over there in the Gate City -- this may well be the ugly start of another 10 straight losses for the Aggies.

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Wow, MEAC officials are embarassing.

MR. CHICKEN
October 28th, 2010, 07:17 PM
LIGHTS OUT..............AWK!

WestCoastAggie
October 28th, 2010, 07:17 PM
This is embarassing for the MEAC. xsmhx

MR. CHICKEN
October 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
"SPEEDWAY" OFFENSE.....BLOWS FUSE.......19-0......TURN OUT DUH LIGHTS...SWEET DARLIN'.....xlolx...BRAWK!!

WestCoastAggie
October 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
#BCU dubbed this the match-up Blackout Game. Boy o' Boy. xsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
This game is getting delayed at least an hour, I reckon? If a transformer is out...

WileECoyote06
October 28th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Nah that's all on BCU.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
This game is getting delayed at least an hour, I reckon? If a transformer is out...
Heard damn near the entire city of Daytona's power is out.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM

how . Folks cant control things like this smh.

WileECoyote06
October 28th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I update then. . nah that's on the city of Daytona.

Dane96
October 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Wow...kind of cool with the lighters....

Humble Steward
October 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
The Lights are back on and the Wildcats are leading 32 - 14 with 7:31 left in the 2nd Qtr.

Humble Steward
October 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM
B-CU - 39
NC A&T - 17

At the half.

Dane96
October 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Both teams are unimpressive....sorry. I think Bethune is a solid team...but I also think the A&T is really bad...I mean really bad. Is Bethune a playoff caliber team? As an At-large...no. But I think they are a very good team....Top 25. Top 12 where they sit...not a sams chance.

Professor
October 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM
We are just going to have to get better. We show flashes but can't put together a full game

jmufan999
October 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM
B-CU - 39
NC A&T - 17

At the half.

worthy of primetime.

Squealofthepig
October 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
OK, I'm not super impressed with the game either, but we at least got to see it - most of us had not had a chance to see B-C anywhere this season. Kudos to ESPNU for at least getting us the game. Not many football options on a Thursday anyway.

Humble Steward
October 28th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Some of you guys are so funny. You don't want to say anything good about a MEAC school. This game could have been alot worst. The starting QB and second string QB was pulled early. We don't have to impress you right now, we just have to win.

B-CU - 67
NC A&T - 17

Final

Dane96
October 29th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks for generalizing, it has worked wonders for millenia. I will say something good about any team...at any level if they earned it. Both those teams were NOT very good last night...and frankly I would say the same if the team names were replaced by any other team names. The product was poor....

Humble Steward
October 29th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for generalizing, it has worked wonders for millenia. I will say something good about any team...at any level if they earned it. Both those teams were NOT very good last night...and frankly I would say the same if the team names were replaced by any other team names. The product was poor....

Sorry for generalizing, you are definitely entitled to your opinion. I just did not receive it well and should not have commented at all. Hey, it's only football.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM
B-CU is a solid team. That's what I saw this weekend. I'd love to see them host Liberty in a first-round playoff matchup.

danefan
October 29th, 2010, 09:11 AM
BCU is solid, but not Top 15. I honestly did not see any separation from a Liberty or Robert Morris in that game.

Like I said earlier, BCU should pray that Jacksonville does not get an at-large. If JU is in the playoffs they are going to be matched up with BCU and I would be picking Jacksonville in a tight one.

BTW, great turnaround for BCU though. I have to think they'll only get stronger going forward. Good to see the MEAC isn't so much a one-trick pony anymore - assuming of course that SCST has fallen off the boat in the post-Ford era.

MR. CHICKEN
October 29th, 2010, 01:46 PM
WHEN YA THINK...'BOUT DUH COMPLETE OVERHAUL.......FROM LAST YEARS OPTION....TA DUH "SPEEDWAY" O.......B-C.......GETS ALOT O' CREDIT....AN' ALL-DOUGH....A&T...GAVE YA'S PLENTY UH BONUS POINTS......AH SAW SOME GOOD FOOTBALL FROM BETHUNE'S OFFENSE.....WOODN'T TAKE 'EM LIGHTLY.....IFIN' DEY DRAW NEWARK..IN SOME ROUND...................BRAWK!!

NORFF CAROLINA RUNNIN' BACK #28 MAYHEW...AH BELIEVE......SHOWED SOME STUFF OUT-DERE TOO!!

WestCoastAggie
October 29th, 2010, 03:16 PM
WHEN YA THINK...'BOUT DUH COMPLETE OVERHAUL.......FROM LAST YEARS OPTION....TA DUH "SPEEDWAY" O.......B-C.......GETS ALOT O' CREDIT....AN' ALL-DOUGH....A&T...GAVE YA'S PLENTY UH BONUS POINTS......AH SAW SOME GOOD FOOTBALL FROM BETHUNE'S OFFENSE.....WOODN'T TAKE 'EM LIGHTLY.....IFIN' DEY DRAW NEWARK..IN SOME ROUND...................BRAWK!!

NORFF CAROLINA RUNNIN' BACK #28 MAYHEW...AH BELIEVE......SHOWED SOME STUFF OUT-DERE TOO!!

Mayhew & D. Drake are Great RB's for A&T. A lack of a Defensive push from the D-Line, poor special teams and penalties killed A&T.

As it stands, if BCU meets a CAA team, it will be close but if the CAA team can run the ball and stop the run while keeping penalties to a min, that team should be fine against BCU.

BTW: Coach Jenkins should be a top candidate for the Robinson Award.

TC CAT
October 29th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Why is it that most of the conferences outside the MEAC and SWAC are reluctant to a home and home series with SWAC and MEAC schools? You guys would not believe some of the excuses your AD's have offered!

If you are referring to Pioneer League JU, I honestly don't think that JU can defeat BCU.

Over the past several years, other than the DSU/UD game, MEAC playoff schools have suffered from being out coached in terms of defensive/offensive adjustments and a lack of player discipline at critical times.

Personally, I doubt if BCU's talent (top to bottom) is superior to that of other MEAC schools. However, they have a young energetic head coach who assembled a like-minded coaching staff and the players have all embraced his system. If they make it to the playoffs woe to any team that take them lightly and allow them to hang around.

WestCoastAggie
October 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Why is it that most of the conferences outside the MEAC and SWAC are reluctant to a home and home series with SWAC and MEAC schools? You guys would not believe some of the excuses your AD's have offered!

If you are referring to Pioneer League JU, I honestly don't think that JU can defeat BCU.

Over the past several years, other than the DSU/UD game, MEAC playoff schools have suffered from being out coached in terms of defensive/offensive adjustments and a lack of player discipline at critical times.

Personally, I doubt if BCU's talent (top to bottom) is superior to that of other MEAC schools. However, they have a young energetic head coach who assembled a like-minded coaching staff and the players have all embraced his system. If they make it to the playoffs woe to any team that take them lightly and allow them to hang around.

Various factors not limited to perceived downgrade of a team's SOS and deep rooted prejiduces.

WileECoyote06
October 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Various factors not limited to perceived downgrade of a team's SOS and deep rooted prejiduces.

To hear fans on here tell it; it's just because MEAC and SWAC schools don't want to play other conferences.