PDA

View Full Version : TSN: Patriot, MEAC Holding Off Pioneer for AQ?

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Did Craig Haley not get the memo and realize that the NCAA has rejected a Pioneer invite? Outside of the MEAC going to the Legacy Bowl or the Ivy League showing interest in the playoffs... there really is no auditioning needed...

The MEAC and Patriot having to hold of the Pioneer for a playoff AQ? Is this a joke?

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - We know many teams are playing for their playoff lives at this point in the season.

How about an entire conference?

An automatic bid for the 2011 Football Championship Subdivision playoffs could be at stake.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4351606

UAalum72
October 28th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Have the 2011 autobids been decided already? You'd think they'd wait until 2010 was over.

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Have the 2011 autobids been decided already? You'd think they'd wait until 2010 was over.

The '11 bids have not been decided nor has the fate of the Legacy Bowl.

It's just proposterous that Haley would think that the Patriot or MEAC would need to fend off the Pioneer. What about the slumping Big South (see GPI)? Or even the NEC, who is a newbie to the equation?

UAalum72
October 28th, 2010, 08:42 AM
The '11 bids have not been decided nor has the fate of the Legacy Bowl.

It's just proposterous that Haley would think that the Patriot or MEAC would need to fend off the Pioneer. What about the slumping Big South (see GPI)? Or even the NEC, who is a newbie to the equation?
Because this year the NEC and Big South are 8th and 11th in GPI, while the Pat., MEAC and Pioneer are 13th thru 15th.

Remember, for years when the NEC wanted a bid, some of you (and you know who you are) said autobids were for the strongest conferences, and the NEC should raise its rating. Either that's changed, or the MEAC vs. Pioneer is now almost a tossup. So why is it preposterous?

WestCoastAggie
October 28th, 2010, 09:21 AM
If the PFL is patient, that "coveted" AQ will be theres. The Legacy Bowl is arriving real, real soon and the MEAC is saying bye-bye, UNFORTUNATELY, to the "white man's" playoffs.

xsmhx

TexasTerror
October 28th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Because this year the NEC and Big South are 8th and 11th in GPI, while the Pat., MEAC and Pioneer are 13th thru 15th.

The SWAC 'faithful' have been really elated about their results this year compared to the MEAC. This must be the highest the SWAC has been in a long time. Seem to recall annual results in every major team sport in which their RPI/GPI was last or second to last.

Is the MEAC just that bad this year? Bethune-Cookman and South Carolina State are solid programs. Hampton is not more than a step behind. The rest of the league must just be rotten and Haley does remind us about Savannah State joining shortly. Oy!

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Maybe the NCAA ought to yank the Patriot's auto-bid.

Memo to Center Valley: Let that be a lesson to ya.

danefan
October 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
The SWAC 'faithful' have been really elated about their results this year compared to the MEAC. This must be the highest the SWAC has been in a long time. Seem to recall annual results in every major team sport in which their RPI/GPI was last or second to last.

Is the MEAC just that bad this year? Bethune-Cookman and South Carolina State are solid programs. Hampton is not more than a step behind. The rest of the league must just be rotten and Haley does remind us about Savannah State joining shortly. Oy!

SCST and BCCU are pretty overrated IMO.

The only reason they are even in the polls is because SCST played App State tough in the 2009 playoffs, which last time I checked has absolutely zero to do with the 2010 season. Take a look at the MEAC composite schedule - its terrible. Look at the records terrible.

The MEAC is 7-20 OOC overall with their only Division I OOC wins coming over............wait for it...........

Savannah State, NC Central and Miss. Valley State who have a combined FOR ONLY 1 WIN!!!!!!!!

WileECoyote06
October 28th, 2010, 09:58 AM
SCST and BCCU are pretty overrated IMO.

The only reason they are even in the polls is because SCST played App State tough in the 2009 playoffs, which last time I checked has absolutely zero to do with the 2010 season. Take a look at the MEAC composite schedule - its terrible. Look at the records terrible.

The MEAC is 7-20 OOC overall with their only Division I OOC wins coming over............wait for it...........

Savannah State, NC Central and Miss. Valley State who have a combined FOR ONLY 1 WIN!!!!!!!!

Uh, we have two wins thank you. And we should be 5 - 2. That's why we fired our coach mid-season. But then again, one of those five would have been a win over Hampton.

But I don't think SCSU and BCU are overrated. I think the bottom of the conference is just horrible this year. FAMU losing to Tenn. State; and Del State blowing that lead over Southern didn't help either.

WileECoyote06
October 28th, 2010, 09:58 AM
If the PFL is patient, that "coveted" AQ will be theres. The Legacy Bowl is arriving real, real soon and the MEAC is saying bye-bye, UNFORTUNATELY, to the "white man's" playoffs.

xsmhx

Praying against it. . but not being optimistic.

danefan
October 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Uh, we have two wins thank you. And we should be 5 - 2. That's why we fired our coach mid-season. But then again, one of those five would have been a win over Hampton.

But I don't think SCSU and BCU are overrated. I think the bottom of the conference is just horrible this year. FAMU losing to Tenn. State; and Del State blowing that lead over Southern didn't help either.

Oh sorry....how could I have ever missed that win over Johnson Smith. xeyebrowx

401ks
October 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Did Craig Haley not get the memo and realize that the NCAA has rejected a Pioneer invite? Outside of the MEAC going to the Legacy Bowl or the Ivy League showing interest in the playoffs... there really is no auditioning needed...

The MEAC and Patriot having to hold of the Pioneer for a playoff AQ? Is this a joke?

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4351606

xconfusedx

TT, did you even read the article? From your way-off-base snarky comments, I would say the answer is an obvious "NO".

xnonono2x

danefan
October 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM
xconfusedx

TT, did you even read the article? From your way-off-base snarky comments, I would say the answer is an obvious "NO".

xnonono2x

I agree. its actually a pretty good article that conlcudes that its unlikely the PFL will unseat the MEAC or PL AQ, but the analysis is solid nonetheles.

The one thing Haley doesn't consider is the relative ease of adding two more teams to the playoffs, with the PFL AQ being one of them. That's the correct thing to do, IMO, if the MEAC decides to stay. Every qualifying conference that wants an AQ should get one.

aceinthehole
October 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM

The NEC is 13-12, with wins over Maine, Liberty, Dayton, Yale, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Fordham, Cornell, Bucknell, etc.

Go...gate
October 29th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Haley is an Ivy League guy, and I don't think he is as well informed as some of his predecessors at TSN. Just IMO.

Bogus Megapardus
October 29th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Haley is an Ivy League guy, and I don't think he is as well informed as some of his predecessors at TSN. Just IMO.

Seriously? I didn't think he was an Ivy guy. I think he went to Trenton State College (now TCNJ).

danefan
October 29th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Seriously? I didn't think he was an Ivy guy. I think he went to Trenton State College (now TCNJ).

He previously covered the Ivy's (Princteon beat writer I believe).

But I would agree - he doesn't have as good a handle on the National FCS world yet.

Bogus Megapardus
October 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM
He previously covered the Ivy's (Princteon beat writer I believe).

But I would agree - he doesn't have as good a handle on the National FCS world yet.

I think he covered high school sports for the Trenton Times. As such, he might have thrown in some Princeton covereage as well.

Go...gate
October 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM

He did, but he covered Princeton and Ivy sports (The Council of Ivy Group Presidents is on Alexander Road in Princeton) for the Trenton Times before he joined the PU SID's office. Regrettably, that office has gone a long way downhill since the halcyon days of Dan Coyle and Bill Stryker. Chuck Yrgoinen was also good through 1989 or so, but it has gone way downhill since.