PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Suspends Game Official

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Would say that this is a change of pace, but the league also suspended another player earlier today... see Big Sky suspends EWU football player (http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2010/10/26/FB_1026104742.aspx).

OGDEN, UTAH (Oct. 27, 2010) - The Big Sky Conference has suspended the referee from the Northern Arizona University-University of Montana football game, league Commissioner Doug Fullerton announced Wednesday.

Jim Lenau has been suspended for one game for misapplication of a rule during the second quarter of Montana’s 24-21 victory over Northern Arizona on Saturday, Oct. 23, in Missoula, Mont.

With the score tied 7-7 and 44 seconds remaining in the first half, Northern Arizona kicked the ball to Montana. The Grizzly player caught the ball and stepped out of the back of the end zone. The play was ruled a safety on the field and two points was awarded to Northern Arizona. The play should have resulted in a touchback for Montana.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2010/10/27/FB_1027103300.aspx

I Bleed Purple
October 27th, 2010, 06:53 PM
How could you get that wrong?

I guess if the kid was running around a bit in the end zone, I can see that happening, but even then you should know it's a touchback. Even if you get tackled in the end zone after dancing in there for 10 seconds, it's a touchback.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
It was pretty bad, the returner, Peter Nguyen, was forced to take a few steps back because the kick was deeper than he had expected. He stepped out the endline and realized he was out of bounds and didn't make any attempt to return the ball. When he went to hand the ball the official, he saw it was being ruled a safety. It was a deep kick that he probably should have let go out the back of the endzone, but in no way was he running around like he was planning to return it before he stepped out.

Milktruck74
October 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM
It was pretty bad, the returner, Peter Nguyen, was forced to take a few steps back because the kick was deeper than he had expected. He stepped out the endline and realized he was out of bounds and didn't make any attempt to return the ball. When he went to hand the ball the official, he saw it was being ruled a safety. It was a deep kick that he probably should have let go out the back of the endzone, but in no way was he running around like he was planning to return it before he stepped out.

It doesn't matter what he did in the endzone, until he crosses the goal line and establishes himself in the field of play (goal line to goal line) only two things can result, a touchback (if the receiving team maintains possession) or a Touchdown (if the Kicking team gains possession). I've been an official for several years and I never question someone's judgement, however mis-application or mis-enforcement of the rules is unacceptable.

The only thing that would have been questionable regarding a safety would be if he caught the ball in the field of play and entered the endzone, but even then if his momentum carried him into the endzone it is a touchback. it is only a safety if he starts going forward, breaks the plane of the goal line and retreats back into the endzone (not pushed - forward progress applys here) by his own power and is tackled there, or steps out of bounds with out returning to the field of play.

Sorry, I get pretty upset when people DON'T READ THEIR RULE BOOK.

Big Cats
October 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM
How is it that the officials working this game didn't confer and correct the call before the points went on the scoreboard?
Surely one of the officials on the crew knew the correct call in this situation.

T-Dog
October 28th, 2010, 01:09 AM
In 2006, App kicked off to Furman in the 2nd half. The return man caught the ball on the one, took two steps backwards into the endzone and took a knee. His non-knelt knee was still in the field of play so the ref marked him down at the one.

Next play, run up the gut stopped for a safety. Then the rout began.

kdinva
October 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM
The only thing that would have been questionable regarding a safety would be if he caught the ball in the field of play and entered the endzone, but even then if his momentum carried him into the endzone it is a touchback. it is only a safety if he starts going forward, breaks the plane of the goal line and retreats back into the endzone (not pushed - forward progress applys here) by his own power and is tackled there, or steps out of bounds with out returning to the field of play.

Sorry, I get pretty upset when people DON'T READ THEIR RULE BOOK.
This ref did get it wrong, but NAU should have gotten the points just for the fact the Montana player retreated into the endzone, much less inside the five yard line, to field the punt. xconfusedx

SpeedkingATL
October 28th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Now this official qualifies to join the SoCon and will likely be working the game at the Rock this weekend. If you ask any WCU fan they will tell you he worked the WCU/ASU game last saturday.....and yes....no overstatement....the officials were THAT bad in that game.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 28th, 2010, 10:52 AM
This ref did get it wrong, but NAU should have gotten the points just for the fact the Montana player retreated into the endzone, much less inside the five yard line, to field the punt. xconfusedx

It wasn't a punt, NAU was kicking off after a score. It was a deep kick that the returner fielded towards the back of the endzone, he had to move back from where he originally lined up for the kick and his momeentum caused him to step out of bounds. He probably should have let the ball go out the back of the endzone, but it would have been worse had he let it bounce and it stayed in the endzone and was recovered by NAU.

tractorapp
October 28th, 2010, 11:04 AM
How is it that the officials working this game didn't confer and correct the call before the points went on the scoreboard?
Surely one of the officials on the crew knew the correct call in this situation.

Note that the official that made the call and was suspended was the Referee, i.e "the White Hat". The Referee has the final say about all application of rules. I can only hope that the other 6 officials working the game with him came to him and tried to convence him that it should have been a touchback and not a safety. But, if the Referee was not convenced after talking to them, he has every right to rule the play as he sees fit. I think that must have happened because the other six officials working the game were not suspended.

I had something simular happen to me during a HS game earlier this year and fortunately I was able to talk the Referee out of a simular terrible call.

tractorapp
October 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Now this official qualifies to join the SoCon and will likely be working the game at the Rock this weekend. If you ask any WCU fan they will tell you he worked the WCU/ASU game last saturday.....and yes....no overstatement....the officials were THAT bad in that game.

Bad judgement is one thing, mis-application of the rules is quite another.

Side Judge
October 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Good thing the Griz won; if they had lost by less than 3, methinks suspension would be the least of that ref's worries...