PDA

View Full Version : Can I-AA schools handle the inflating coaching salaries?

putter
February 9th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Mike Kramer, head coach of Montana St., just interviewed at Idaho and cited one of the reasons being the low pay for his assistants and the increased costs of living in Bozeman, Mt. With the head coaching packages at Montana and Montana St. in the area of $120 - $140 and Georgia Southern giving their new head coach $200k/yr and assistants a raise (one would think), can I-AA schools handle this increase in coaching salaries?

ucdtim17
February 9th, 2006, 04:30 PM
If they start getting a half mil + for I-A games like Montana they sure can

grizband
February 9th, 2006, 04:44 PM
If they start getting a half mil + for I-A games like Montana they sure can
With the new 12 game rule, you might start to see this, especially if I-AA salaries continue to rise.

PhantomCAT
February 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I am trying to get a feel for what kind of contracts various coaches are getting around the country. Currently in the great state of Montana, a coach is given a one year july to june contract each year.

We love our coach but the possibility of him moving on to bigger and better things looms each year.

I am just looking for members to post on here what kind of deals their respective coaches get.

Thanks in advance.

February 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I am trying to get a feel for what kind of contracts various coaches are getting around the country. Currently in the great state of Montana, a coach is given a one year july to june contract each year.

We love our coach but the possibility of him moving on to bigger and better things looms each year.

I am just looking for members to post on here what kind of deals their respective coaches get.

Thanks in advance.Kramer? Is that you?? :cool:

Baldy
February 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM
The state of GA is the same way, but our booster organization throws in another 3 year guarantee on top of the state's 1 year deal. Works great for us and our coaches, just ask Mike Sewak. ;)

CatFan22
February 9th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Kramer? Is that you?? :cool:

xlolx xlolx xlolx

carney2
February 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Biddle (Colgate) is signed thru 2011 (I think) and Tavani (Lafayette) thru 2012. Yo, Engineer/Squawkers, what did Coen get?

catamount man
February 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately, Kent Briggs is in the last year of his contract and anything less than 7-4, IMO, won't cut it. I hope I am wrong and I hope he exceeds all of our expectations in 2006. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Hansel
February 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM
NDSU approved multiyear contracts only recently our HC has a ~5yr deal

TXST_CAT
February 9th, 2006, 09:57 PM
We here at TXST hope to lock Coach Bailiff into a contract thru 2010. He currently has a salary of $125K but prob Gross of $115K. We here at TXST have been scrambling to raise funds to keep him away from the Div I-A's in the area. Many posters on BF.com feel he should recieve over $200K yr for bringing pride back to TXST. As well as providing bonuses for his staff.

PhantomCAT
February 9th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Kramer? Is that you?? :cool:

nope, just trying to go to bat for the "Big Human"

February 10th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I think the request is $$$/spiffs per year, from whom (school, boosters, media, etc.) and number of years.

Please post your school's head coach deal.

GSUEagles47
February 10th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Mike Kramer, head coach of Montana St., just interviewed at Idaho and cited one of the reasons being the low pay for his assistants and the increased costs of living in Bozeman, Mt. With the head coaching packages at Montana and Montana St. in the area of $120 - $140 and Georgia Southern giving their new head coach $200k/yr and assistants a raise (one would think), can I-AA schools handle this increase in coaching salaries?

Brian Van Gorder is well worth the $200+ that he is getting. The School itself only pays a portion of the GSU Coach's salary. The other half or more comes from our Athletic Boosters.

bluehenbillk
February 10th, 2006, 06:41 AM
These numbers you're throwing around still aren't at the top of 1-AA, KC Keeler at UD pulls in over $300K per year.

bluedog
February 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Southern and Pete Richardson agree to pact (http://www.onnidan.com/04-05/news/dec/subr1222.htm)

December 22, 2004
Baton Rouge, LA - Southern University and head football coach Pete Richardson have come to an agreement in principle regarding his contract.

After rejecting a 5-year pact that he felt would have limited his options should he fired, Richardwon agreed to a three-year contract which is believed to make him the highest paid coach in Division I-AA football.
The proposed contract will be presented to the Southern University Board of Supervisors for final approval at its January 8 meeting

colgate13
February 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Exact figures are hard to come buy in the private sector, but I thought this comment from our AD in a recent web feature was telling:

Question: You have some great coaches at Colgate, Dick Biddle in football and Emmett Davis in basketball (13's comment - Davis? Are they crazy?). Are you concerned these two will be pursued by other bigger universities. How can we keep them at Colgate.

Dave's (Roach AD) Answer: We have a system in place to reward our coaches that will keep us competitive in the market place. We plan on doing everything possible to keep our excellent coaches. Coach Biddle was given a contract extension in December after he won his fifth Patriot League title.

That tells me that Colgate isn't letting Biddle go anywhere without a fight, and definitely not to another I-AA. My best guess is that he is paid north of $150K and fast approaching if not surpassing $175K...

Baldy
February 10th, 2006, 07:43 AM
13's correct, we don't truly know in this day and time, but......

The consensus is VanGorder is in the $430K a year range.

McNeeserocket
February 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM
With the new 12 game rule, you might start to see this, especially if I-AA salaries continue to rise.

Just curious, has the NCAA voted on whether to let I-AA have 12 regular season games yet? If not, when is that vote slated to happen?

Hansel
February 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I think the request is $$$/spiffs per year, from whom (school, boosters, media, etc.) and number of years.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051006/SPORTS/510060323/1006/NEWS01

Hansel
February 10th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Just curious, has the NCAA voted on whether to let I-AA have 12 regular season games yet? If not, when is that vote slated to happen?
voting in April