PDA

View Full Version : Frontrunner for Buchanan?

knf
October 27th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I'm saying Trumaine Johnson of Montana. The kid is doing a hell of a lot on the field.

Maybe Jeremy Caldwell out of EKU?

Who do you think?

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I can't think of the last corner back that has ever won the award, but by seasons end, Furman's Ryan Steed may be at least in the conversation.

His numbers are farily staggering for a corner back and, to this point, have been statistically just as good as App's Mark Legree, a much more "household" name in the FCS. Considering that Steed only plays on one side of the field the numbers are even more impressive.

UNH72Plus
October 27th, 2010, 08:36 AM
The legimate frontrunner may actually be a player who isn't even on the short list. Matt Evans, linebacker for UNH and CAA defensive player of the week the last two weeks, has 93 total tackles, 10 tackles for losses, 3 sacks, 1 interception, 2 forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries.

appfan2008
October 27th, 2010, 09:07 AM
unfortunately with DJ Smith and Mark Legree... I think that they will share votes from this area and neither one have a shot but they are both legit

ericsaid
October 27th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Jabari Fletcher from App also.

35 Tackles
11.5 TFL
6.5 Sacks
1 Int
1 FF
2 FR

KiddBrewer
October 27th, 2010, 03:05 PM
i'll bet somebody NOT playing for appalachian state.

they "spread the wealth" a little too thin IMO

Red & Black
October 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM
JC Sherritt, LB, Eastern Washington. He was the runner-up last year and is having another monster season. xthumbsupx

Silenoz
October 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
So we have 5-6 homer inputs so far xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
October 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
So we have 5-6 homer inputs so far xlolx

Well I will say that Johnson and Steed have no shot unless they get about 8 or 9 INTs in the last three weeks. The reason I say that is because voters have only picked one DB for the award and he had double digit picks.

I don't see a front runner in terms of someone whose production makes him a clear cut leader but the top names so far are Kenrick Ellis, JC Sherritt, Mark LeGree, Ameet Pall, Tyler Holmes, Jabara Williams, and Korey Lindsey.

Pall really needs to be added to the list in my opinion.

One player who has tapered off that I thought would have a chance earlier in the year is John Eddy at Northern Colorado but his numbers aren't as gaudy as they appeared to have a chance at being.

smallcollegefbfan
October 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Jabari Fletcher from App also.

35 Tackles
11.5 TFL
6.5 Sacks
1 Int
1 FF
2 FR

If he has anymore games like he did against WCU he will start to become a legit candidate to finish in the top 3 or 4. The only problem is that he lacks the name and career achievements of Smith or LeGree so he probably needs 2 or 3 more games like it to be honest.

DetroitFlyer
October 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCnuGa5Mxns

Wow, check out this play from Dayton's candidate. AMAZING! JJ was the PFL defensive player of the week after making something like 17 tackles in this game. Not many players in FCS are going to make a play like this one. WOW!!

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Well I will say that Johnson and Steed have no shot unless they get about 8 or 9 INTs in the last three weeks. The reason I say that is because voters have only picked one DB for the award and he had double digit picks.

I don't see a front runner in terms of someone whose production makes him a clear cut leader but the top names so far are Kenrick Ellis, JC Sherritt, Mark LeGree, Ameet Pall, Tyler Holmes, Jabara Williams, and Korey Lindsey.

Pall really needs to be added to the list in my opinion.

One player who has tapered off that I thought would have a chance earlier in the year is John Eddy at Northern Colorado but his numbers aren't as gaudy as they appeared to have a chance at being.

I don't see Steed getting double digit picks. Most teams avoid throwing to his side of the field but just a small handful of times a game.

How can you say a defensive back has "no shot" and then list Legree as a front runner? Last I checked Legree is a defensive back, unless he recently changed positions. Additionally, at this point in the season, Steed's numbers are better than Legree's. Steed has more tackles, more passes defended, and more forced fumbles. He does have one less interception than Legree (four to Legree's five), but two of those four were returned for touchdowns.

That isn't to say that Steed should be a front runner. It is to say that he has been every bit as good as Legree all season without half the acknowledgment.