PDA

View Full Version : Winning titles in multiple conferences

bostonspider
October 26th, 2010, 05:26 PM
How many different division 1 conferences has you team won titles in? As I was watching the Spiders this past weekend, I noticed they had won the title of four different conferences; the Southern, the Yankee (ironic combo), the Atlantic 10, and the Colonial. How have other schools done.

aceinthehole
October 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM
How many different division 1 conferences has you team won titles in? As I was watching the Spiders this past weekend, I noticed they had won the title of four different conferences; the Southern, the Yankee (ironic combo), the Atlantic 10, and the Colonial. How have other schools done.

Isn't that just a name change. CAA football 'owns' the records from the A-10 and Yankee, right?

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Only been in two conferences and won both multiple times.

turn1979
October 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Yankee, A-10, Colonial all the same.

bostonspider
October 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM
When UR joined the Yankee in 1986 the schools in the conference were BU, UConn, Maine, URI, UNH and UMass. The Colonial now has just 4 of those schools, combined with JMU, Towson, Villanova, W&M, UR and UD. Hofstra and Northeastern came and went as well. While they are definitely related conferences, the make up is so different, as well the name changes, I would say they Yankee and Colonial could be called different conferences. Officially the Yankee Conferenced died and the teams were taken over by the A10. And the the A10 Football conference disbanded and all the teams were invited to join the CAA Football conference.

turn1979
October 26th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I believe Delaware was a member of the Yankee conf. in 1986. They were co-champs that year with UMass and UConn.

Smitty
October 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Is this really considered an achievement? Either the name of the conference changes or a team jump ships to a new conference.

HensRock
October 27th, 2010, 08:01 AM
When UR joined the Yankee in 1986 the schools in the conference were BU, UConn, Maine, URI, UNH and UMass.

When Furman joined the Southern Conference, it consisted of South Carolina, Clemson, Davidson, VMI, and The Citadel, only 1 of which remains in it with them today.
So should we count the SoCon as multiple conferences too?

appfan2008
October 27th, 2010, 09:09 AM
When UR joined the Yankee in 1986 the schools in the conference were BU, UConn, Maine, URI, UNH and UMass. The Colonial now has just 4 of those schools, combined with JMU, Towson, Villanova, W&M, UR and UD. Hofstra and Northeastern came and went as well. While they are definitely related conferences, the make up is so different, as well the name changes, I would say they Yankee and Colonial could be called different conferences. Officially the Yankee Conferenced died and the teams were taken over by the A10. And the the A10 Football conference disbanded and all the teams were invited to join the CAA Football conference.

silly argument... all the same conference regardless of name or members... just saying

McNeese72
October 27th, 2010, 10:10 AM
It's hard to win titles in multiple conferences when you stay in the same one. We've been in the Southland Conference since 1972 way before we dropped down to I-AA in 1983 or 1984 or whenever it was. Since then we have won (outright and shared) 13 conference titles (I think, I've lost count). Before then, we were in the old Gulf States Conference between 1952 and 1970 and won five titles there.

Doc

MacThor
October 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Marshall and Boise State come to mind as teams that have won after stepping up to 1-A. I know VT has won the Big East and the ACC.

Appfan_in_CAAland
October 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM
When Furman joined the Southern Conference, it consisted of South Carolina, Clemson, Davidson, VMI, and The Citadel, only 1 of which remains in it with them today.
So should we count the SoCon as multiple conferences too?

For all practical purposes, the SoCon was a different conference before the ACC schools left in '53.

When App State was winning the North State Conference back in the 30s, it also had Western Carolina, Elon, Presbyterian, Guilford, and Lenior-Rhyne. When the inevitable happens and Presbyterian, Guilford, and Lenior-Rhyne join the SoCon, can we call that the same conference? xchinscratchx