PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-25

JALMOND
October 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM
My apologies for not getting this out on Monday...

If a person only saw the final scores from the Big Sky last weekend, they could conclude that nothing too shattering happened in the conference, and that to a point would be true. The top three were playing at home and, along with typical top team Weber State who was also at home, they all got a win. However, there was plenty of drama and chances for upsets in all the games that made the wins seem more suspenseful than they should have been. As a result, not much changes in the power rankings. This week (last week). All are my opinion only and all are open for discussion.

1. Montana (1)---If this was a typical game, with the Grizzlies at home against Northern Arizona, the results would have been a Grizzly victory and that was just what it was. However, most for the fans in the stands were nervous as the Grizzlies needed a late drive by their offense to get the win over an NAU team without Herrick. This week, they head down to Weber State for what should be an easy game for them. Easy on paper, but the last time the Grizzlies were at Weber State, things were not easy at all.

2. Montana State (2)---Once again, a strong team in the Bobcats welcoming a struggling team, Northern Colorado, to their house for what should have been a tuneup for next week. However, Northern Colorado, did not get the message that they needed to just roll over and let the Bobcats win. Adhering to what is slowly becoming typical for these two teams, Northern Colorado finally succumbed at the last few minutes and the Bobcats escaped with the win. This week the Bobcats may finally get that "easy" game at they head to Idaho State. Easy on paper, that is, and "on paper" hasn't quite gone that way yet.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---To complete the trifecta, the Eagles welcomed Sacramento State to their house and, instead of expecting a blowout, they thought the game would be close as Sacramento State usually plays the Eagles close in Cheney. However, some late game heroics were needed for the Eagles to keep their magical season rolling and put a serious dent in the hopes of Sacramento State, finally pulling away from the Hornets at the end (somewhat). Even with the Eagles taking care of their strength of the schedule early, these last games are proving equally as difficult. This week a trip on the road to Portland State, who is also playing everyone tough. Will this be different?

4. Northern Arizona (4)---There the Jacks were with a chance to exorcise some of the Montana demons that have plagued the Jacks in years past. Yet, they had to watch as Montana finally took the game in the fourth quarter, sending the disappointed Jacks back home. Surprising for the Jacks was they were able to stay close even though Herrick did not play. Can they snap out of it in time to salvage the season and get a possible playoff spot? This week, they head back home and face the hard-charging Sacramento State team. Like before, it won't be easy.

5. Sacramento State (5)---Typical of their trips to Cheney where they have won before, the Hornets were right there at the end against Eastern Washington. However, the Eagles had more left at the end and the Hornets left this year disappointed, with possible playoff hopes seriously dashed. They will need to snap out of it quickly as this week, they hit the road again for a game at Northern Arizona. Still time for good things, but time is running out.

6. Weber State (7)---As in years past, whenever the Wildcats tangle with Portland State, it usually is a high scoring and entertaining game and, even with the rainstorm, this was no exception. A late touchdown seemed to seal the win for the Widcats, but they had to withstand a last second, 65 yard field goal that fell just short. The Wildcats cut down on their turnovers and earned the win. This week they welcome Montana to their home, intent on continuing the good feelings.

7. Portland State (6)---On the other end of the Weber State game, the Vikings were officially knocked out of the playoff chase as they will be unable to get to the necessary seven wins. The Vikings took the lead in the last minute, yet gave Higgins enough time to take the victory. Still, not much was expected this year other than improvement and the Vikings will be looking for improvement the rest of the year. This weekend, it starts as they head home to play Eastern Washington. A win is the best way to start feeling good and building on the future.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---No one really gave the Bears much of a chance on the road against a strong Montana State team last week, but they gave the Bobcats all they could handle and then some. Still, the sting of a last minute defeat does linger, even if you were not expecting to even be in the game. Close is only good if it is a win and the Bears are not for relishing in a close loss. This week, a step out of conference as they play their former DII rival South Dakota. A chance to take out some frustration?

9. Idaho State (9)---While everyone else was participating in close games all over the conference, the Bengals stayed home, inside their den. They were looking forward to creating their own brand of excitement this weekend as they welcome Montana State, who looked vulnerable against Northern Colorado last week. That should give the Bengals some ray of hope.

EdubAlum
October 26th, 2010, 03:36 PM
hope it keeps raining in PDX this week, much for of an advantage to a team with a good running back:)

JALMOND
October 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM
hope it keeps raining in PDX this week, much for of an advantage to a team with a good running back:)

Or to a team with a good running game. Heading into the Weber game, I guess McCaffrey was 2nd in the conference in rushing and Kavanaugh was 4th. Not sure how Lund came up with those stats, maybe he's just using the conference games, but still a good indicator as to how balanced this pistol offense is.

wapiti
October 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM
My rankings:

T1. Montana--- Had NAU had Herrick, I think NAU would have won that game and would be sitting here in first. Several of UM's wins have been ugly, by the skin of their teeth wins, but wins none the less. As many Griz fans are know for saying. "A win is a win and we will take it." UM's hold on first is fragile.

T1. Eastern Washington--- EWU is sharing first place with UM. EWU is winning games, even some without TJ.

3. Northern Arizona--- With Herrick NAU would be in first, without Herrick they should sit 4th. I find very little news about Herrick other than he has a lingering injury. I will say he is back this weekend and NAU wins out the rest of their season and gets in the playoffs.

4. Montana State--- It was an ugly win, but as Griz fans say, "A win is a win." MSU still won despite losing the turnover battle 4 to 0.

5. Sacramento State--- This team is on the verge of being one of the better teams in the BSC. It is not any easier for them this weekend as they head to NAU.

6. Weber State--- BBQ was hoping to just reload this year, but instead they are rebuilding. They will have a chance to show what they have done by taking on UM at home. Can they repeat what they did two years ago? I hope they do, but I would not count on it.

7. Portland State--- This team has lost some close games this year, but they are still a loss. PSU has performed better then thought. This weekend they get a tough EWU team at home.

8. Northern Colorado--- NC fans are dissappointed on this years teams lack of W's. They had some hype going in the off season, but it has turned up flat. They have potential, but can they show it as they go OOC to South Dakota.

9. Idaho State--- Once again I say ISU is improved over last year, but they still have plenty of work to do.

uofmman1122
October 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM
6. Weber State--- BBQ was hoping to just reload this year, but instead they are rebuilding. They will have a chance to show what they have done by taking on UM at home. Can they repeat what they did last year? I hope they do, but I would not count on it.I hope they repeat what they did last year, too. They came to Missoula and got dominated.

You're thinking of two years ago, the first time we played them in Ogden that season before they came up to Missoula and got the snot beat out of them in the playoffs.

wapiti
October 27th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I hope they repeat what they did last year, too. They came to Missoula and got dominated.

You're thinking of two years ago, the first time we played them in Ogden that season before they came up to Missoula and got the snot beat out of them in the playoffs.
Yup, I meant two years ago. Thanks. Fixed.