PDA

View Full Version : Early Preseason Top 25

Pages : [1] 2

CatFan22
February 9th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I know it's early, but there is too much football in me right now. Anyone have their early preseason top 25 rankings? I'm still working on mine, but I'd like to see what you all think right now.

mainejeff
February 9th, 2006, 01:13 AM
My Top 5:

1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. James Madison
4. New Hampshire
5. Northern Iowa

Tribe4SF
February 9th, 2006, 06:32 AM
My Top 5:

1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. James Madison
4. New Hampshire
5. Northern Iowa

With your history, the Dukes won't like seeing that! :smiley_wi

JMU Duke Dog
February 9th, 2006, 08:02 AM
With your history, the Dukes won't like seeing that! :smiley_wi

Is #3 a bad number to be picked by mainejeff? :confused:

colgate13
February 9th, 2006, 08:46 AM
One thing that helps in these early stages is to get feedback from conference members about their teams and see who they think will be in the hunt to win it. You can then gather those teams, do some research, and try and rank them. For the PL, you've got the following IMO:

-Colgate. Returns a lot on offense and a good number on defense. Should be in the mix.
-Lehigh. New coach with some losses on both sides of the ball but returns some playmakers, especially at QB. Should be in the mix.
-Lafayette. Two years in a row as conference co-champ but loses a big senior class that was responsible for it. They have some nice returning players that may be able to continue the trend. Should be in the mix.
-Holy Cross. Made some strides last year but lose the senior class that was responsible for it. Should be on the outside looking in again but a winning season is possible.
-Fordham. New coach and a lot of unknowns.
-Georgetown. See Fordham.
-Bucknell. Same coach and a lot of unknowns.

So out of the PL it looks like the same 3 teams (CU, LU and LC) again. Of course I'm biased, but in a preseason sense I like Colgate's chances this year. Lehigh might take some time to adjust to a new coach and Lafayette might take some time to break in new starters. By the season's end, it's anyones guess who will win out of those 3, but preseason, I like Colgate (duh! - but I'm trying to be rational) to be at the 24/25 level. We'll either prove it or lose it in the first week against UMass.

I think LC and LU sit in the 25-30 range. Lafayette needs to go 3-0 IMO to break the top 25. Games against Bucknell (should be a W), Penn and Princeton. The two Ivies will tell us a lot about LC. Lehigh gets their shot in week two at Villanova. They get that Villanova/A-10 monkey off their back and they get in the top 25 IMO.

OK fellow PL'ers... have at me!

SunCoastBlueHen
February 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I don't really know enough to comment on the rest of the A-10, but as for the Blue Chickens -

Delaware returns a lot on both sides of the ball, but will still be a very young team. UD will also, likely, be starting a new transfer QB who was highly touted out of HS, but still an unknown commodity. Delaware certainly should improve upon last year's effort with all the young guys having a year to mature physically and a year more experience. How much they will improve, however, is a big question mark. I think most Hen's fans are guardedly optimistic about the 2006 season.

carney2
February 9th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Colgate13 did a real good job summing up the Patriot League, but I take issue with a few things. Here goes:

COLGATE: Regardless of what happens with UMass on opening day, the Raiders will run away with this thing. No one else in the league appears to be close to them at this time. I'm penciling them into my top 20 - and if they beat UMass, who knows.

LEHIGH: The Squawks will evict that Villanova monkey from their backs this time around even though they will have to do it on the Mainline. They will then assume their usual overrated (sorry, Brownguys, but IMO you have been consistently overrated for a few years now) position in the top 20 before being scrunched by Harvard (because of payback) and Colgate (because they're better). They should also beware of the Eli in New Haven. They will need to beat Lafayette to end the season within shouting distance of the top 25.

LAFAYETTE: Coach Tavani has the ammunition but needs to reload the gun. The opener against Bucknell is not a gimme if, for no other reason, than Bucknell will have already played a game. After that he needs to prove that he can beat some Ivy teams. I'm as big a fan as there is but I think we're looking at a 4 or 5 loss season here. Just how those losses fall could be the interesting part, however. 10/28 @ Colgate may still determine whether Frank has them in another title hunt. I look for them to finish strong.

BUCKNELL: For the third year in a row I'm gonna say: Better than all of you expect. I've been wrong twice. The law of averages is with me.

No one else in this league is worth talking about at this early date.

LBPop
February 9th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Not being even close to a PL expert, but an avid PL watcher. I agree with that statement. The new coaches and likely new philosophies in the league will certainly be interesting, but there's no way to predict anything.

As for Georgetown, we are all waiting for spring ball to pick up clues. While nobody knows what the offense will look like, I suspect that the first time the Hoyas run an option, you will hear about mini-riots on campus (they would have to be mini-riots given the fan base). ;)

The defense lost a lot of talent, but since they probably underperformed a bit last season the dropoff may be minimal. There are a few underclassmen with promise, but until they face "live bullets", we can only guess how they will do.

I will probably see several practices and all the scrimmages this spring. I hope I'm smiling in April.

colgate13
February 9th, 2006, 10:33 AM
BUCKNELL: For the third year in a row I'm gonna say: Better than all of you expect. I've been wrong twice. The law of averages is with me.

Too hot/cold for my tastes. They have the potential to influence the PL title, but I'll be shocked if they are a contender for it.

OL FU
February 9th, 2006, 10:45 AM
SoCon

Appalachian State should be in the top five. My pick this early for the one and two spot would probably be UNH and UNI, but I think it could be easily justified to putting ASU at #1.

Georgia Southern :confused: Who knows. They are losing some individuals, but they were top ten last year with a defense that gave up a lot of points. If they find a QB to run the offense, they could be very good. I know some GSU supporters are going to be sandbaggers but I think they have to be in the top 25 and where they end up at this point is anybodies guess. (Once again it is early, but I have a real hard time putting them below 15)

Furman, 2005 awesome offense (desptie early season turnovers), bad defense which improved toward the end of the year. On defense we lose Freeman (best D player) but keep 20 of 22. Defense should be back to or close to FU norms. Offense will slow down some but still should be good. Instead of winning games 30-28, the defense should give us the opportunity to win if we score 17 to 20 most games. I would start us around 15.

WCU, Western played up and down but I think they finished in the top 30 GPI. They should be better and should start off in the top 25.

This early I would hold off on Wofford or Chattanooga.

GannonFan
February 9th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Bucknell was just downright bad last year. No way would I see them go from 1-10 to a contender in just one year. If they do then you have to seriously question the strength of the other teams that year. With what Colgate has coming back and Lehigh and Lafayette I just can't see it.

carney2
February 9th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Bucknell was just downright bad last year. No way would I see them go from 1-10 to a contender in just one year. If they do then you have to seriously question the strength of the other teams that year. With what Colgate has coming back and Lehigh and Lafayette I just can't see it.

I think the statement was "Better than all of you expect." Considering where they've been, that could mean almost anything. Contenders? Not a chance - not with the 3 big gorillas banging on them. Will they upset one of those 3? I think they just might.

GannonFan
February 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I think the statement was "Better than all of you expect." Considering where they've been, that could mean almost anything. Contenders? Not a chance - not with the 3 big gorillas banging on them. Will they upset one of those 3? I think they will.

Hey, beating Georgetown this year will be an improvement over the last year. They get Colgate and Lafayette at home so who knows.

LBPop
February 9th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Hey, beating Georgetown this year will be an improvement over the last year.

Dissed again. Why is it always Georgetown? :bawling: ;)

DTSpider
February 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Bucknell visits Richmond on 9/23 which could be a good benchmark. Richmond is probably one of 5 A10 teams in the second tier (JMU & UNH in first) this year and could battle for a playoff spot.

slostang
February 9th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I do not know about a preseason top 25, but I think you will see more than one team from the GWFC in the top 25 at the end of the season.

griz&beer
February 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM
The SKY is wide open this year. MSU and EWU have lost their big play makers and leaders. Montana has a ? mark on QB's and WR's ,but thank God we have Lex and a good D once agian. Weaber and PSU had some real good games last year and probley will make some noies this year. ISU just got a good QB in the Michigan kid, and will be a pain in someone side at worst. NAU will nead some help, but they could give anyone troble, the sky is never easy. Now the new kids. UNC ,I don't know much about them so I give the the floor mat of the big sky this year. If they do well my hat is off to them, good luck.

How I see the Big Sky Con. endding up in 2006.

UM
MSU
PSU
EWU
WSU
ISU
NAU
UNC

carney2
February 9th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Hey, beating Georgetown this year will be an improvement over the last year. They get Colgate and Lafayette at home so who knows.

Here is my read on Bucknell vs. the 3 contenders:

Lafayette: Bucknell's best chance for a win among these three. It will be Lafayette's opener, while Bucknell will be playing its second game. Lafayette will be "practicing" and "experimenting" with new people in key positions.

Lehigh: For reasons that defy explanation, and in spite of what has happened for the past couple of years, Bucknell has a history of playing Lehigh really tough.

Colgate: Only if the ground opens up and swallows the Colgate bus.

dbackjon
February 9th, 2006, 12:13 PM
The SKY is wide open this year. MSU and EWU have lost their big play makers and leaders. Montana has a ? mark on QB's and WR's ,but thank God we have Lex and a good D once agian. Weaber and PSU had some real good games last year and probley will make some noies this year. ISU just got a good QB in the Michigan kid, and will be a pain in someone side at worst. Now the new kids. NCU ,I don't know much about them so I give the the floor mat of the big sky this year. If they do well my hat is off to them, good luck.

How I see the Big Sky Con. endding up in 2006.

UM
MSU
PSU
EWU
WSU
ISU
NCU

Did NAU get kicked out of the league??

And it is UNC :)

ucdtim17
February 9th, 2006, 12:19 PM

And Sac? (Although I would hardly blame you)

As for the GWFC, I think it's looking something like this:

1. UCD - returns a ton of talent, o line, skill players
2. CP - no reason to drop off
3. NDSU
4. SDSU
5. SUU

I think UCD and CP should both get top 25 consideration

grizband
February 9th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Yeah, after last year, you guys are out. We traded you for UNC, straight up. :smiley_wi

ngineer
February 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Here is my read on Bucknell vs. the 3 contenders:

Lafayette: Bucknell's best chance for a win among these three. It will be Lafayette's opener, while Bucknell will be playing its second game. Lafayette will be "practicing" and "experimenting" with new people in key positions.

Lehigh: For reasons that defy explanation, and in spite of what has happened for the past couple of years, Bucknell has a history of playing Lehigh really tough.
Colgate: Only if the ground opens up and swallows the Colgate bus.

I don't really disagree with much of what's been written about the preseason PL. The Big 3 and who ever can play spoiler. As for Bucknell, I agree that the perception is that the Bison always play Lehigh 'tough'. Yet, the last FOUR years the scores have been lopsided: 24-0, 45-9, 40-17 and 42-10. Last Bucknell win was 1997. It is Lehigh's second longest series with 69 games between the schools and it being continuous since 1950. There were several close games in the 1990's. So, sometimes, history and reputation transcend reality. Maybe this will be the Bison's year to turn it around, but it seems they will have a lot of transition on that squad to overcome.

nlwwln
February 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
1 montana
2 app state
3 jmu
4 uni
5 furman
6 eku
7 tex st
8 jacksonville st
9 sc state
10 cal poly

lucchesicourt
February 9th, 2006, 12:45 PM
The GWFC is going to be up in the air again this year. Three quality teams UCD, NDSU, and Cal Poly. SDSU just a step behind and still has the opportunity to win the thing. The only team that I believe is out is SUU. Give them time to catch up.

PDXCat
February 9th, 2006, 12:51 PM
1 montana
2 app state
3 jmu
4 uni
5 furman
6 eku
7 tex st
8 jacksonville st
9 sc state
10 cal poly

Why UM ranked so high? They weren't particularly good last year defensively and it seems that they'll be pretty much the same next year. They're getting a new qb who was so so at Washington State and a new receiver who will make an otherwise anemic offense a little better, but number 1? Don't think so. More like top 15 at best. And for the griz fans out there - this isn't intended to be smack.

PDXCat
February 9th, 2006, 12:55 PM
And Sac? (Although I would hardly blame you)

As for the GWFC, I think it's looking something like this:

1. UCD - returns a ton of talent, o line, skill players
2. CP - no reason to drop off
3. NDSU
4. SDSU
5. SUU

I think UCD and CP should both get top 25 consideration

Will the OC leaving impact CP very much? He just took the head job at Eastern Oregon.

nlwwln
February 9th, 2006, 01:23 PM
montana is going to have the best offense in the country next year and there defense is pretty solid, i know the got some good LBs which is a great place to start. I think they are going to be as tough as ever. another team i think that will make alot of noise is eku.

UNHWildCats
February 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM
1 montana
2 app state
3 jmu
4 uni
5 furman
6 eku
7 tex st
8 jacksonville st
9 sc state
10 cal poly

New Hampshire whos returning the top stars of its top ranked offense isnt in ur top 10???

UNH 40
February 9th, 2006, 01:36 PM
montana is going to have the best offense in the country next year and there defense is pretty solid, i know the got some good LBs which is a great place to start. I think they are going to be as tough as ever. another team i think that will make alot of noise is eku.

UNH will have best offense in the country next year. They have the two best players in I-AA (maybe one of the best recievers in all of college football), a great supporting cast of weapons and probably the best offesive coordinator in the country. UNH will have to fill some holes on defense but have the young talent that will enable them to fill them very effectively. You also have to be nuts to not rank UNH in the top 10 or the top 2 or 3 for that matter.

slostang
February 9th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Will the OC leaving impact CP very much? He just took the head job at Eastern Oregon.
He will be missed, but at least he was Co-OC and the other half is still here. I think Poly's offense has a chance to be very good next year and their defense will one of the top defenses in I-AA again. I can not wait for August to roll around.

wkukid
February 9th, 2006, 01:47 PM
1 montana
2 app state
3 jmu
4 uni
5 furman
6 eku
7 tex st
8 jacksonville st
9 sc state
10 cal poly

EKU???? Are you drunk? Worst school ever. They have to start beating us to get ranked that high xlolx

But seriously...UNH should be ranked in top 10 not EKU.

CrunchGriz
February 9th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Why UM ranked so high? They weren't particularly good last year defensively and it seems that they'll be pretty much the same next year. They're getting a new qb who was so so at Washington State and a new receiver who will make an otherwise anemic offense a little better, but number 1? Don't think so. More like top 15 at best. And for the griz fans out there - this isn't intended to be smack.

PDX: The Griz "weren't particularly good last year defensively"? Huh? They led the conference in points allowed, both in conference games and overall, despite being on the field an inordinate amount of time because of the team's less-than-stellar offense.

While the 'Cats deserve kudos for beating the Griz last year, it wasn't because they were chewing up the Griz D. Even with the best quarterback in Bobcat history, all they could muster was 16 points. (I know, I know, they only needed 7....)

If the Griz can come up with a run-stopper in the middle to replace Alan Saenz, they will have a very good defense in 2006.

The Grizzlies' problems stemmed from their offense, the worst passing offense for the Griz since 1978. If they can make the playoffs even with this anemic offensive production, I'm very excited about having a team with another year's experience and three new legitimate weapons (Swogger, Chambers, and Bradshaw)--even a decent offense on last year's team would have given them a couple more wins. Swogger may not have set the world on fire at WSU, but he was a team captain and the starter as a sophomore, only losing his starting position because of an injury. Chambers was the Huskies' big play receiver last year, and has field stretching speed, and Bradshaw has a great combination of speed and power, and will make a great change of tempo back to complement Lex Hilliard. If all Bradshaw is able to do is spell Lex, he will be what we need.

And having a real passing game, especially a long passing game, even if it doesn't turn out to be the best in the country, will force defenses to back off putting 8 or more in the box to stop Lex, opening it up considerably for the running game.

The offensive line is a bit of a question mark, with three new starters, but the Griz have a good crop of redshirts and underclassmen to man these new positions. I think the younger guys will (in time) be much better than the guys they're replacing. Not immediately, so pencil in a big loss against Iowa, but I think they'll get it going pretty quickly after that.

I'm not buying any tickets to Chattanooga yet, but the 2006 Griz will be much improved over the 2005 team.

Before the 2005 season I had no illusions about how far they could go with only one veteran receiver (who ended up playing very injured for most of the year anyway) and an untested QB (who ended up being a redshirt freshman). I had mass trepidation about the Grizzlies' fortunes.

Let's just say I feel much better about the coming year...especially with the 'Cats and the Eagles losing so many tested offensive weapons.

Idaho State may be a handful, especially on offense, though.

Just my view of things.

Pard4Life
February 9th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Colgate13 did a real good job summing up the Patriot League, but I take issue with a few things. Here goes:

COLGATE: Regardless of what happens with UMass on opening day, the Raiders will run away with this thing. No one else in the league appears to be close to them at this time. I'm penciling them into my top 20 - and if they beat UMass, who knows.

LEHIGH: The Squawks will evict that Villanova monkey from their backs this time around even though they will have to do it on the Mainline. They will then assume their usual overrated (sorry, Brownguys, but IMO you have been consistently overrated for a few years now) position in the top 20 before being scrunched by Harvard (because of payback) and Colgate (because they're better). They should also beware of the Eli in New Haven. They will need to beat Lafayette to end the season within shouting distance of the top 25.

LAFAYETTE: Coach Tavani has the ammunition but needs to reload the gun. The opener against Bucknell is not a gimme if, for no other reason, than Bucknell will have already played a game. After that he needs to prove that he can beat some Ivy teams. I'm as big a fan as there is but I think we're looking at a 4 or 5 loss season here. Just how those losses fall could be the interesting part, however. 10/28 @ Colgate may still determine whether Frank has them in another title hunt. I look for them to finish strong.

I think you and mr. 13 are underestimating the Pards are little bit here. I still see this team clicking on all cylinders. The LBs need to be replaced, but everything else is solid. The secondary is largely intact, the DL is intact, the Our offensive theme is experience. OL is intact and will be even better than last year, hearing that Padilla has returned. Ort and Fisher are back, Adair replaces Stanford, Travis Hutson should be in the rotation. Maurer should be healthy. Our offense should be firing well. Only thing I would question, and where it will come from, is the fire of leadership. I am not leaning over the team so I don't know who could be the leader. We will see once captains are named. I assume Maurer will be one of them.

I think this team is going to still be working hard and focused this offesason. They still have not accomplished what they have to, and what they want to: beating Colgate, claiming a solo league title, trumping the Ivy monkey, and winning a playoff game.

I seriously don't see us going 6-5. We will be 7-4 if we don't beat the Ivy monkey and slip in the league, and/or have injuries. Tavani has not lost out on a PL title with a team that was solely his own recruiting effort.

And everyone seems to be glancing over G'town. My predicition is that they are going to open some eyes and be the Holy Cross of '05. I hope it's not through us though.. they achieved that in 2003. I hope it's Lehigh or Colgate's turn.

That said, my PL standings are:
Until we beat Colgate, this is their league.

1. Colgate
2. Lafayette
3. Lehigh
4. G'town
5. Holy Cross
6. Fordham
7. Bucknell

Any Pards know what's Marcel Quartermann's status? He was a stud in 04, but seemed to be quiet this year.

Chi Panther
February 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM
UNH will have best offense in the country next year. They have the two best players in I-AA (maybe one of the best recievers in all of college football), a great supporting cast of weapons and probably the best offesive coordinator in the country. UNH will have to fill some holes on defense but have the young talent that will enable them to fill them very effectively. You also have to be nuts to not rank UNH in the top 10 or the top 2 or 3 for that matter.

Here we go again......UNH proclaiming they are the best again......

Santos and Ball are soooooo talented.....but its a long season fellas.

All being said.....I'd rank UNH somewhere from 5-8 in the preseason.....

carney2
February 9th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I think you and mr. 13 are underestimating the Pards are little bit here. I still see this team clicking on all cylinders.

I am lighting a candle for you tonight, Mr. 4Life, and praying that your vision of the future is the true road. Bless you.

PDXCat
February 9th, 2006, 02:53 PM
PDX: The Griz "weren't particularly good last year defensively"? Huh? They led the conference in points allowed, both in conference games and overall, despite being on the field an inordinate amount of time because of the team's less-than-stellar offense.

While the 'Cats deserve kudos for beating the Griz last year, it wasn't because they were chewing up the Griz D. Even with the best quarterback in Bobcat history, all they could muster was 16 points. (I know, I know, they only needed 7....)

If the Griz can come up with a run-stopper in the middle to replace Alan Saenz, they will have a very good defense in 2006.

The Grizzlies' problems stemmed from their offense, the worst passing offense for the Griz since 1978. If they can make the playoffs even with this anemic offensive production, I'm very excited about having a team with another year's experience and three new legitimate weapons (Swogger, Chambers, and Bradshaw)--even a decent offense on last year's team would have given them a couple more wins. Swogger may not have set the world on fire at WSU, but he was a team captain and the starter as a sophomore, only losing his starting position because of an injury. Chambers was the Huskies' big play receiver last year, and has field stretching speed, and Bradshaw has a great combination of speed and power, and will make a great change of tempo back to complement Lex Hilliard. If all Bradshaw is able to do is spell Lex, he will be what we need.

And having a real passing game, especially a long passing game, even if it doesn't turn out to be the best in the country, will force defenses to back off putting 8 or more in the box to stop Lex, opening it up considerably for the running game.

The offensive line is a bit of a question mark, with three new starters, but the Griz have a good crop of redshirts and underclassmen to man these new positions. I think the younger guys will (in time) be much better than the guys they're replacing. Not immediately, so pencil in a big loss against Iowa, but I think they'll get it going pretty quickly after that.

I'm not buying any tickets to Chattanooga yet, but the 2006 Griz will be much improved over the 2005 team.

Before the 2005 season I had no illusions about how far they could go with only one veteran receiver (who ended up playing very injured for most of the year anyway) and an untested QB (who ended up being a redshirt freshman). I had mass trepidation about the Grizzlies' fortunes.

Let's just say I feel much better about the coming year...especially with the 'Cats and the Eagles losing so many tested offensive weapons.

Idaho State may be a handful, especially on offense, though.

Just my view of things.

Good response. I only saw the UM against us which is why I made the remark about the defense, nothing special - at least that day. UM may turn out to be as good as you say but for the time being I wouldn't rank them #1. As an aside, the BSC is going to be like a playoff game every week with MSU, UM, Weber, Portland State, and maybe Idaho State and Eastern Washington banging on each other.

nlwwln
February 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
unh will be good i totally forgot about them they would be # 7 on my list now that i think about it, but i still think that tandem is a lil over rated

colgate13
February 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I think you and mr. 13 are underestimating the Pards are little bit here. I still see this team clicking on all cylinders.

Hardly! I think the PL is a toss up between those three teams. I'm just looking at a deserving preseason ranking. Help educate me though; you seem to paint a rosier picture of whats back than I recall.

The LBs need to be replaced

We agree here. 3 dominant seniors that were one of the best units in the nation are gone.

The secondary is largely intact

You lose both corners, who were very good as well. With some of the receivers CU and LU have, this could be a problem depending how well they replace them.

the DL is intact

This should be the strength of your D this year, BUT, you do lose 5 out of your 8 two deep. I like the 3 starters you've got coming back and some youngsters you have.

Our offensive theme is experience

True... BUT if anything it was your defense that kept you in games and allowed the offense to win low scoring affairs.

OL is intact and will be even better than last year, hearing that Padilla has returned

Padilla certianly helps the cause here. The line will be your offensive strength IMO.

Ort and Fisher are back, Adair replaces Stanford, Travis Hutson should be in the rotation.

What's the deal again with Ort and Fisher?

Maurer should be healthy.

Maurer needs a year like his sophomore year. What's the backup situation look like? LC enjoyed the best backup situation in the league... well, Lehigh had it pretty good too.

I seriously don't see us going 6-5.

Neither do I. 8-3 is more like it to me.

And everyone seems to be glancing over G'town. My predicition is that they are going to open some eyes and be the Holy Cross of '05. I hope it's not through us though.. they achieved that in 2003. I hope it's Lehigh or Colgate's turn.

Don't know about that. Might take some time to retool with a new coach.

LBPop
February 9th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Sadly, I question the concept of retooling. First, one must have "tooled" in order to re-tool. Georgetown has just not gotten it done since their entry into the Patriot League, so it's tough to get excited at the moment.

My only reason for optimism is that I believe the Hoyas have played below their talent level. If I am right, then a new coach, philosophy and attitude could have a marked effect. Coaches can/should make the "whole" exceed the "sum of its parts". If Coach Kelly and his staff can do that, Georgetown will surprise a few people...and some of them will be in the stands.

Ken_Z
February 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM

congratulations carney2, your time has come for the Bucknell prediction to be accurate.

and you're right, no one else in the league is worth talking about. or did i take that statement out of context?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Chi,

In 40's defense, he was reacting to a Griz poster stating they would be the best offense. Personally, I don't think anyone should be out here proclaiming their offense (or defense) will be the best. It's pretty subjective as well as near impossible to prove because there just aren't enough games between each league's best teams.

I'll try to give an objective view of why I think UNH's offense will be one of the best in the country. There are only two major losses from last year's team -- McCoy at RB and Williams at TE. There are two highly regarded RBs who will be joining returnee Chris Ward. One is Kaysonne Anderson who blew out his knee preseason last year. From what I know, he's a speed guy who I anticipated would step right in for RJ Harvey last year. The other is Chad Krackert (SP??) from California who is a freshman that enrolled this semester and will participate in Spring Ball. Last year's backup TE Sean Lynch is a more traditional TE than Williams (bigger, better blocker, good hands, etc.) but not as speedy. Most of the OL returns and there's pretty good depth.

So, in this off-season world of "on paper" evaluation, the UNH offense appears to be formidable again. Based on this offense UNH probably deserves some national ranking. How the newcomers on defense develop and whether a cohesive unit forms in time for the A-10 South games will determine the season's success.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 9th, 2006, 06:21 PM
unh will be good i totally forgot about them they would be # 7 on my list now that i think about it, but i still think that tandem is a lil over rated

Obviously, everybody has the right to their own opinion, but I find it difficult to believe David Ball could be viewed as overrated. As long as he stays healthy, he's going to break some of Jerry Rice's records this coming season. I consider that pretty hallowed territory. And it's not like he's padded his numbers against inferior competition. He's had some of his best games against the best teams including a very good game versus I-A Rutgers. During UNH's biggest blowout win last year, the Wildcats hardly passed the ball and didn't have any passing TDs.

You can call me a homer, but I think David Ball is the real deal.

carney2
February 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Maurer needs a year like his sophomore year. What's the backup situation look like? LC enjoyed the best backup situation in the league... well, Lehigh had it pretty good too.

Ort and Fisher got medical redshirts. With Adair, who I really like, Hutson and maybe a sophomore or two getting into the mix, this could be a solid group.

Personally, QB is my biggest worry. If Maurer does what he does best and mixes in the run, he stands a good chance of getting injured. He suffered two significant injuries in 2005, and the first, against Richmond, was a major factor in the following week's loss to Princeton as well as leading to some subpar performances after that. The presumed backup is an untested junior named Bernhard out of Allentown, PA. Some of my fellow Pards on this site take issue with me here, but I don't have a lot of confidence in him. I think that it may come down to one of the incoming freshman studs: Curley from South Jersey or Jones from Florida. Both have impressive resumes.

Frank can't beat the Ivies; Russo couldn't beat the Ivies; Putnam couldn't beat the Ivies; do you see a trend here? Penn, Princeton, Harvard, Yale: how many "W's" do you see? To get to 8-3 there have to be at least 2.

carney2
February 9th, 2006, 06:48 PM
congratulations carney2, your time has come for the Bucknell prediction to be accurate.

and you're right, no one else in the league is worth talking about. or did i take that statement out of context?

Ken: stick to sports where people with significant growth and glandular/hormonal problems run around in their underwear and avoid contact like the plague. It is becoming a Bucknell way of life.

blukeys
February 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I hate being the pooper to the party but I have learned that there is a great deal of info that can be picked up between now and the preseason picks.

As Usual we now know who are the big 3 in the PL and that UM will contend in the Big Sky. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am taking notes on this so I can get ready for my ballot. :nod:

No one has given a spring report. I know spring football is usually an opportunity to evaluate new talent but much can still be learned and quite a few from the AGS community attend these practices or have some inside info on these practices. Spring and summer are also a great time to learn about the recovery of injured players who showed some promise during the prior year before injury.

I have found that those who really know their own conferences are pretty accurate about where the teams should be placed within their conferences.

Certain conferences such as the A-10 are just too balanced to make hard and fast predictions. It appears to me that UNH has an edge in the North but they are no lock.

As for the A10 south throw a blanket over the teams and see who comes out. I see no real favorite. All teams have positives and all have question marks.

colgate13
February 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM
FWIW - as of today I will be placing UNH as my preseason #1. That offense will win a lot next year.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
FWIW - as of today I will be placing UNH as my preseason #1. That offense will win a lot next year. That all depends on what they are returning on the o-line (I actually don't know the answer to this). Those guys have a funny way of making the skill guys look either good or quite average.

skinny_uncle
February 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Please don't put SIU on any of your pre-season lists this year. We graduated two dozen seniors. We want to try the UnderDawg role this year.
http://salukitalk.net/st/images/smiles/eusa_shhh.gif

eagle1
February 9th, 2006, 10:35 PM
EWU will definitely be an underdog next season. We have to replace a Walter Payton Winner in Meyer at QB and a dynamic receiver in Kimble. I think that we will surprise some people next year in the Big Sky as well as nationally. Go Eagles!!!

This is my take at the preseason Top 10:

1. Northern Iowa
2. New Hampshire
3. James Madison
4. Montana
5. Cal Poly
6. Texas State
7. Colgate
8. Weber State
9. Youngstown State
10. Eastern Illinois

ucdtim17
February 9th, 2006, 10:53 PM
8. Weber State

:eyebrow:

McNeese75
February 9th, 2006, 11:03 PM
xidiotx Tx State loses 28 seniors and you have them ranked in the top 10?

Interesting, :rolleyes:

slostang
February 9th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I think eagle1 has a great deal of respect for Ron McBride. Weber State is on the way up under McBride.

griz&beer
February 9th, 2006, 11:08 PM

Thankyou for the help, my brain is fried. No disrespect. I hope NAU has a great year.

Tod
February 9th, 2006, 11:11 PM
EWU will definitely be an underdog next season. We have to replace a Walter Payton Winner in Meyer at QB and a dynamic receiver in Kimble. I think that we will surprise some people next year in the Big Sky as well as nationally. Go Eagles!!!

1. Northern Iowa
2. New Hampshire
3. James Madison
4. Montana
5. Cal Poly
6. Texas State
7. Colgate
8. Weber State
9. Youngstown State
10. Eastern Illinois

Where do the defending champs fall?

CrunchGriz
February 9th, 2006, 11:12 PM

You may raise an eyebrow at this, but Weber State was about thaaaaaaaat close to making the playoffs from the 'Sky last year, and have a lot coming back and a good recruiting year as well. I don't think I'd put them at number 8, but I'd have them top 25, anyway.

eagle1
February 9th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks for reminding me Tod about the SOCON! I would definitely have App State in the top 10 probably behind JMU and in front of Montana. No disrespect to the SOCON. I am not actually sure why I put Texas State at #6 but I had to put somebody from the Southland in and it is a Preseason top 10. Just one fans opinion. Go Eagles!!!

Tailbone
February 10th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Chi,

In 40's defense, he was reacting to a Griz poster stating they would be the best offense. ............

This...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/avatars/Wagner.gif

doesn't look like a Griz helmet to me.

montana is going to have the best offense in the country next year.............

colgate13
February 10th, 2006, 07:25 AM
7. Colgate

OMG...:eek:

As much as I like to see it, I don't think we'll deserve that ranking...

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I had to put somebody from the Southland in and it is a Preseason top 10.

Why do you HAVE to have someone from the Southland in the top 10?

UNH 40
February 10th, 2006, 07:36 AM

I believe that UNH should be in the top three. I never said they should be #1. I also feel that UNI deserves to be in the top three on everyones ranking, with a QB like Sanders returning this team is going to be very tough team to beat. You have to admit with how Santos and Ball played against UNI they are great players. You are right it is a long season and anything can happen, but you have to remember we are talking about preseason rankings and as long as we are talking preseason they deserve to be in the top 3 along with UNI and APP. St. in some order.

buckp
February 10th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Why do you HAVE to have someone from the Southland in the top 10?

Name the only conference that made it to the semifinals the last two years in a row....;)

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Name the only conference that made it to the semifinals the last two years in a row....;)

substitute any conference name

there is no requirement to have every conference in the top 10, thats all I'm saying

buckp
February 10th, 2006, 07:53 AM
....there is no requirement to have every conference in the top 10, thats all I'm saying

Sorry, I thought you were just picking on Southland.

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Sorry, I thought you were just picking on Southland.

Naw

fuEMO
February 10th, 2006, 08:26 AM
SoCon

Appalachian State should be in the top five. My pick this early for the one and two spot would probably be UNH and UNI, but I think it could be easily justified to putting ASU at #1.

Georgia Southern :confused: Who knows. They are losing some individuals, but they were top ten last year with a defense that gave up a lot of points. If they find a QB to run the offense, they could be very good. I know some GSU supporters are going to be sandbaggers but I think they have to be in the top 25 and where they end up at this point is anybodies guess. (Once again it is early, but I have a real hard time putting them below 15)

Furman, 2005 awesome offense (desptie early season turnovers), bad defense which improved toward the end of the year. On defense we lose Freeman (best D player) but keep 20 of 22. Defense should be back to or close to FU norms. Offense will slow down some but still should be good. Instead of winning games 30-28, the defense should give us the opportunity to win if we score 17 to 20 most games. I would start us around 15.

WCU, Western played up and down but I think they finished in the top 30 GPI. They should be better and should start off in the top 25.

This early I would hold off on Wofford or Chattanooga.

I think APP will have a great team next season but they have very similar question marks like Furman, loss of a quarterback and a defensive star.

That said I think Furman will be a very physical team next season on both sides of the ball. We will know alot more after Spring practice I want to see Gray running the show. imo I would not want to play this Furman team in the playoffs next season. If Gray settles in, this team could be an offensive juggernaut. I think some folks are going to be surprised at how athletic Furman will be on the offensive side of the ball.

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I think APP will have a great team next season but they have very similar question marks like Furman, loss of a quarterback and a defensive star.

That said I think Furman will be a very physical team next season on both sides of the ball. We will know alot more after Spring practice I want to see Gray running the show. imo I would not want to play this Furman team in the playoffs next season. If Gray settles in, this team could be an offensive juggernaut. I think some folks are going to be surprised at how athletic Furman will be on the offensive side of the ball.

I think we know a little more about App's QB than we do Furman's

IMO, Trey Elder can play, thats why I'm not worried

OL FU
February 10th, 2006, 08:37 AM

We have seen Furman's too. :)

I am not trying to make a comparison. But both are a step down. The difference is (I think) Furman never used Martin to his fullest capabilities. He was truly made for the pass 40 times a game Florida type offense. Grey is probably better suited for the Furman offense. With all that said, I think we lose enough on offense especially the line to see us slow down some. And if my predictions on our defense improving are incorrect we are in trouble.

The offense that ASU ran last year was perfectly suited for Williams. Great passer, elusive runner, great decision maker. Let's face it. Richie was awesome. I agree that Trey can play and I would not be worried either. He will be quite capable of running the offense successfully. But it will be difficult to replace Williams.

UNHWildCats
February 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I never said UNH has to be proclaimed the GODS of IAA i just simply asked how the team cant be ranked in someones top 10, that would be like not having USC ranked in the pre season top 10 last year.

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM
We have seen Furman's too. :)

I am not trying to make a comparison. But both are a step down. The difference is (I think) Furman never used Martin to his fullest capabilities. He was truly made for the pass 40 times a game Florida type offense. Grey is probably better suited for the Furman offense. With all that said, I think we lose enough on offense especially the line to see us slow down some. And if my predictions on our defense improving are incorrect we are in trouble.

The offense that ASU ran last year was perfectly suited for Williams. Great passer, elusive runner, great decision maker. Let's face it. Richie was awesome. I agree that Trey can play and I would not be worried either. He will be quite capable of running the offense successfully. But it will be difficult to replace Williams.

We made lose a little mobility with Elder, but with another year under KRich's belt, he will be a much better runner.

OL FU
February 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM
We made lose a little mobility with Elder, but with another year under KRich's belt, he will be a much better runner.

I don't think we are really disagreeing that much. :)

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I never said UNH has to be proclaimed the GODS of IAA i just simply asked how the team cant be ranked in someones top 10, that would be like not having USC ranked in the pre season top 10 last year.

anytime you have 2 guys like that, you know you should be good

anyone that says otherwise is ignorant or bitter, take your pick

VictorG
February 10th, 2006, 08:56 AM

No smack taken! I'd actually prefer the Griz to open the season lower and let us earn our way up! But I'm sure that won't happen. I'd be very surprised if the Griz are not in the top 5 to start.

Pard4Life
February 10th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Hardly! I think the PL is a toss up between those three teams. I'm just looking at a deserving preseason ranking. Help educate me though; you seem to paint a rosier picture of whats back than I recall.

We agree here. 3 dominant seniors that were one of the best units in the nation are gone.

You lose both corners, who were very good as well. With some of the receivers CU and LU have, this could be a problem depending how well they replace them.

This should be the strength of your D this year, BUT, you do lose 5 out of your 8 two deep. I like the 3 starters you've got coming back and some youngsters you have.

True... BUT if anything it was your defense that kept you in games and allowed the offense to win low scoring affairs.

Padilla certianly helps the cause here. The line will be your offensive strength IMO.

I feel like I am being cross-examined here...

We have one sure LB, Stovall. But the others listed on the two-deep are question marks to me. They played some, but not much to form an analysis. Something to watch in spring ball.

About the corners, they should be Chad Hunter, and Adrian Lawson. Both had alot of playing time this fall since I can recall their names often being announced and seeing them rotate in. Hunter started once Larry Johnson was injured. Unfortunately he was picked on a lot in that final Colgate winning drive. Lawson is 5-9, so that could be a question against bigger recievers. But I see them building upon game experience last year. The safeties are both back, Trey Martell, Torian Johnson, and Bryan Kazmierowski, who was mostly injured but started almost all games in 2004.

Ok you called me on the DL situation, didn't realize the two-deep is depleted. Three of the four starters are back though, Sprenkle, Liseno, Snipes. I do think we have some players who are going to step up. Remember Jerrell Robinson? (oh yeah, the player who Laf. beat out Colgate for) He should be playing some minutes at DL. Keith Bloom should be playing... he was an awesome goaline player in 2004 but was injured all of 2005. He might even have a redshirt pending. Jason Mills, Kyle Babcock, and Luke Schade are all either jr. or sophs. who will play as well. Also, a frosh could break-in here. This is a good thing to watch come spring.

OL, well, solid, not much to say really except all the back-ups have either started some games or subbed alot.

Fisher and Ort have medical redshirts, so we have them one last year.

Maurer will be backed-up by Bernhard. I don't know why people are doubting him but he seems skilled to me. I am confident in him. Another thing to watch this spring ball. Same with DiPoala.

And even if we do stink-it-up with teh Ivies we can still get the league auto-bid at 7-4, but I see us at 8-3 right now, same as last year.

Mr. Tiger
February 10th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Let me give this a shot. Top 12<

1. Northern Iowa
2. New Hampshire
3. Montana
4. James Madison
5. Cal Poly
6. Youngstown State
7. App. State
8. Furman
9. Hampton
10. E. lllinois
11. Colgate
12. South Carolina State

UNH 40
February 10th, 2006, 01:42 PM

1. Northern Iowa
2. New Hampshire
3. Montana
4. James Madison
5. Cal Poly
6. Youngstown State
7. App. State
8. Furman
9. Hampton
10. E. lllinois
11. Colgate
12. South Carolina State

I think that you are pretty much right on with this poll. The only change i would make is that i would swap Cal Poly and App. St. I imagine that this is pretty close to the one the "experts" will come up with.

Stang Fever
February 10th, 2006, 01:49 PM

1. Northern Iowa
2. New Hampshire
3. Montana
4. James Madison
5. Cal Poly
6. Youngstown State
7. App. State
8. Furman
9. Hampton
10. E. lllinois
11. Colgate
12. South Carolina State

Granted i think Poly is a top ten team...i see them ranked in the first preseason pole prob. some where between 9-12

carney2
February 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM
We have one sure LB, Stovall. But the others listed on the two-deep are question marks to me. They played some, but not much to form an analysis. Something to watch in spring ball.

Before he's done, Andy Roman, a freshman last year, may get some favorable comparisons to Maurice Bennett.

Tribe4SF
February 10th, 2006, 02:19 PM

1. Northern Iowa
2. New Hampshire
3. Montana
4. James Madison
5. Cal Poly
6. Youngstown State
7. App. State
8. Furman
9. Hampton
10. E. lllinois
11. Colgate
12. South Carolina State

Much as I'd like to see these schools deserving of that kind of ranking, I can't justify it. Don't know what my top 25 will be for pre-season poll, but I won't have either Hampton or SC State in the top 15. Hampton's playoff performance showed clearly that they are not yet a top 10 team.

youwouldno
February 10th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Elder has more experience, that's true, and is clearly a very capable player. However, he will have more responsibility than Gray because of the offense App St. runs. It's a tall order for anyone to follow Richie.

Furman might rush for 300 YPG next year. Gray is a powerful runner with good speed, but the most important thing will be his success in running play action to take advantage of Felton and Gipson.

AppGuy04
February 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Elder has more experience, that's true, and is clearly a very capable player. However, he will have more responsibility than Gray because of the offense App St. runs. It's a tall order for anyone to follow Richie.

Furman might rush for 300 YPG next year. Gray is a powerful runner with good speed, but the most important thing will be his success in running play action to take advantage of Felton and Gipson.

if this was the App team that was only Richie and Devon Fowlkes, I'd agree, but this is now one of the most balanced offenses in the country

GrizzlyEdd
February 10th, 2006, 03:12 PM

I wouldn't take it as smack. For the most part I will agree with you. I don't believe that the Griz should be in the top five at this point. I would say 7 or 8ish...:)

SochorField
February 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM
1. App. State
2. New Hampshire
3. Texas State
4. Northern Iowa
5. James Madison
6. Furman
7. Cal Poly
8. Montana
9. South Carolina State
10. Hampton
11. Youngstown State
12. UC Davis
13. Colgate
14. North Dakota State
15. Eastern Kentucky

There is my stab at it.

LBPop
February 10th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I feel like I am being cross-examined here...

I would suggest that you are feeling that way because you are being cross examined. :nod:

It's a lot easier being a fan of a perennial second tier team. We're such easy targets that the sympathy/pity thing kicks in and we're left pretty much alone. Of course, now that I have said that, I'm gonna get killed. : smh :

OL FU
February 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Where are all the Eagles, the south Georgia variety? Or is it just too early to care?

Are we so unsure of what is going to happen that we have written them off?

My guess is that if there had been no coaching change they would make top ten list, at least top fifteen. GSU struggled defensively last year. I realize the offensive change is on the way, but has anybody considered that if they don't get the transfers required to run a more traditional offense that they will still run the option, just less than normal.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM
This...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/avatars/Wagner.gif

doesn't look like a Griz helmet to me.

That's what I get for posting from memory and not going back to look at the actual post again! I assumed it was a Montana person. :nono: :nono:

:asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip:

Consider myself taken to the woodshed!!

DemiGS
February 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Where are all the Eagles, the south Georgia variety? Or is it just too early to care?

Are we so unsure of what is going to happen that we have written them off?

My guess is that if there had been no coaching change they would make top ten list, at least top fifteen. GSU struggled defensively last year. I realize the offensive change is on the way, but has anybody considered that if they don't get the transfers required to run a more traditional offense that they will still run the option, just less than normal.

OL FU,
I don't think anyone in the country knows what to think about the GSU Eagles. I certainly don't :eyebrow:
We have had a full body make over, and I think most people in I-AA land are assuming the Eagles won't be a factor next yeah as they find their wings, so to speak. That may be a perfectly accurate assessment of the situation, but I think *some* questions will get answered in spring ball.

February 10th, 2006, 05:43 PM
...I imagine that this is pretty close to the one the "experts" will come up with.We are the experts! The AGS preseason poll has proven to have been the best every year. :nod:

blackfordpu
February 10th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I know it's early, but there is too much football in me right now. Anyone have their early preseason top 25 rankings? I'm still working on mine, but I'd like to see what you all think right now.

Havn't really looked at it yet. I'll think about it when we get a little closer. :nod:

Tod
February 10th, 2006, 06:03 PM
We are the experts! The AGS preseason poll has proven to have been the best every year. :nod:

Nothing like a little pressure, Ralph. :eek: :eek: :o

I don't consider myself an expert, but I consider myself smart enough to listen to the experts on AGS. Research goes a long way. My wife could put together a decent Top 25 if she was willing to spend 100 hours doing research. I don't have to, because I have some knowledge and I know where the experts are located. Right here!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

colgate13
February 10th, 2006, 06:35 PM
13. Colgate

There's another generous one. (no complaints from the fan side of me, but the pollster is kicking in). I would have thought our pasting at the hands of UNH would sink a lot of preseason votes.

I think a ranking like 13 is attainable with say, a 3-0 or 4-0 start. We've got the goods to make a nice run if our QB doesn't throw INTs...

Stang Fever
February 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM
1) UNH - With that offense returning things look real bright. Question will be the Defense
2) UNI - Even though they lost in the Finals. The core is returning and should be dangerous
3) App St - I just have a rule about putting the winner of the NC game number one cause its rare that they repeart
4) CP - Same team. Just without the last two Buck winners. I dont believe they will finish this high due to the OC schedule.
5) Montana - The best team in the BSC is returning. and plus its Montana
6) Furman
7)S. Illinois - if and only if they play some better teams this year will the stay this high
8) Richmond - Great Season next last year. Going out on a limb here with this pick
9) James Madison - After an off year last year, i expect them to bounch back
10) Coastal Carolina - WHY? just am way to impressed with this young team.

WHo didnt make it

Ga Southern - Doubt they wll have what it takes to run that offense to be any godd

Tex State - 28 Seniors gone enough said

JMU Duke Dog
February 10th, 2006, 07:26 PM
My top 10 list:

1. Montana
2. New Hampshire
3. Appalachian State
4. Northern Iowa
5. James Madison
6. Furman
7. Cal Poly
8. Colgate
9. Delaware
10. Eastern Kentucky

This will probably change after doing some more research!

ISUMatt
February 10th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Illinois State is definitely Top 15 to start and are MUCH better than EIU!!!

Stang Fever
February 10th, 2006, 07:31 PM
i only did top ten but i would def. put Illinois St at around 13

rokamortis
February 10th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Thank you very much. I think top 10 is a bit high but we should be in the mix.

I don't get upset like some other fans when my team doesn't get mentioned, but I am a little perplexed as to why CCU hasn't been mentioned more in this thread. We bring back 35 seniors and only lose a couple of starters. Plus we have some very good young talent coming off of red-shirts. I think we have a lot more going for us than people give us credit for.

Hansel
February 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Haven't done any research yet, but some teams that come to mind

Furmie
Montana
Poly
Coco-Delaware
Appy
UNI
Nichols St
McNeese
Ill St
UNH
PVAM

Saint3333
February 10th, 2006, 09:09 PM
3) App St - I just have a rule about putting the winner of the NC game number one cause its rare that they repeart

I have a rule too the winner of the national title is #1 until someone in their division beats them ASU #1.

EIU86
February 10th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Illinois State is definitely Top 15 to start and are MUCH better than EIU!!!

ISU was better than EIU last year, you won't be much better if at all next year. EIU loses virtually no one, while ISU lost some good players.

Chi Panther
February 10th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I think Ill State would beat EIU in 06.....

Its hard to call these teams sleepers.....but of the teams that missed the playoffs last year....I think Delaware, Ill State and YSU could be get on a roll this year.

JMU Duke Dog
February 10th, 2006, 10:10 PM
.....but of the teams that missed the playoffs last year....I think Delaware, Ill State and YSU could be get on a roll this year.

JMU?

Tod
February 10th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I think Ill State would beat EIU in 06.....

Its hard to call these teams sleepers.....but of the teams that missed the playoffs last year....I think Delaware, Ill State and YSU could be get on a roll this year.

Weber State and/or Idaho State could as well, IMHO. I'm not sure about Portland State, I will count on PSU posters, JALMOND most likely, to keep us up on them.

Stang Fever
February 11th, 2006, 12:08 AM
to clear up why APP St is number 3..........is because of who i feel they lost...yes i have a little rule about putting the NC at number one...but when it warrants it i will put them at number one...an example of that would have been USC (I-A) after last years team that won it all...anybody that didnt put them at number one in the preseason was a fool....I doubt Texas will be number 1 to start the season in I-A...same thing applies in I-AA for APP st...key guys gone

FL connection
February 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Ill St. was THE BEST team EIU played in '05 IMHO (including S. Ill, BYU, EKU and Jack St.).........EIU ran up and down the field on So. Ill in the play-offs before shooting themselves in the foot EACH time.......beating ISU at ISU early would be a huge step towards a big year for EIU!!!! September can't come soon enough........connection out!!

OL FU
February 11th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Haven't done any research yet, but some teams that come to mind

Furmie
Montana
Poly
Coco-Delaware
Appy
UNI
Nichols St
McNeese
Ill St
UNH
PVAM

Hansel, I like you. I know you are not listing in order but I like that you put Furman first most of the time :D

ncbears
February 11th, 2006, 11:27 AM
He will be missed, but at least he was Co-OC and the other half is still here. I think Poly's offense has a chance to be very good next year and their defense will one of the top defenses in I-AA again. I can not wait for August to roll around.

Everyone talked about Poly's defense but I was impressed with their offense as well when they came to Greeley. Very good team and should win the GWFC again. UC Davis should be up their too. Although, I think they will lose opening game against us. ;)

ncbears
February 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM
As for the Big Sky I see it shaping as this:

Montana

E.Washington

Montana State

Weber State

Idaho State

Nothern Colorado

Sac State

NAU

slostang
February 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Montana

E.Washington

Montana State

Weber State

Idaho State

Nothern Colorado

Sac State

NAU
ncbears, you forgot PSU. How do you think they will do next year? They are bringing in a lot of transfers and JC players. I think that makes it harder to predict.

Thanks for the kind words about Poly. I think UNC is heading in right direction with their new coach. Good luck next year.

ncbears
February 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Doh! I new I was forgeting someone. I'll put them right after MSU.

X-Factor
February 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Montana

E.Washington

Montana State

Weber State

Idaho State

Nothern Colorado

Sac State

NAU

Idaho State will be no pushover next year. They have legit shot at taking the Big Sky if they can get any consistency out of their defense.

Montana
Idaho State
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Montana State
Portland State
Northern Colorado
Sac

kats89
February 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM
1 montana
2 app state
3 jmu
4 uni
5 furman
6 eku
7 tex st
8 jacksonville st
9 sc state
10 cal poly

Tx St #8? They lost 28 seniors. They might begin the year in the top 25, but they have a lot of holes to fill.

Out of the Southland, I look for McNeese to make some noise and Nicholls St to be a sleeper. They play a different kind of football in South Louisiana.

Tod
February 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Idaho State will be no pushover next year. They have legit shot at taking the Big Sky if they can get any consistency out of their defense.

Montana
Idaho State
Weber State
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Montana State
Portland State
Northern Colorado
Sac

This looks about right to me, too.

Pard4Life
February 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Before he's done, Andy Roman, a freshman last year, may get some favorable comparisons to Maurice Bennett.

You may be right, so let's watch how he does in spring ball.. can't wait... when does practice starte btw?

Aggie71
February 11th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah,

I was gunna ask how Sac got rated so high. I was corrected.

Kiss My Apps
February 11th, 2006, 11:05 PM
to clear up why APP St is number 3..........is because of who i feel they lost...

Although Richie leaving will be a huge loss, the cupboard is by no means bare. We return 16 starters, including 7 all-socon performers, 4 on offense and 3 on defense!

Andy
February 11th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Maurer will be backed-up by Bernhard. I don't know why people are doubting him but he seems skilled to me. I am confident in him. Another thing to watch this spring ball. Same with DiPoala.

QUOTE]

Pard4Life, Bernhard has left school "for personal reasons."

February 12th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Although Richie leaving will be a huge loss, the cupboard is by no means bare. We return 16 starters, including 7 all-socon performers, 4 on offense and 3 on defense!Did I miss your depth chart analysis on that thread?
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7774

carney2
February 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Pard4Life, Bernhard has left school "for personal reasons."

I hope that Frank has plans to outfit Maurer with a Teflon uniform and then build a wall around him.

This explains why he is not listed on the 2005 roster. I thought that it was just another typo/proofreading problem like the location of the 2006 Colgate game.

OL FU
February 12th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Although Richie leaving will be a huge loss, the cupboard is by no means bare. We return 16 starters, including 7 all-socon performers, 4 on offense and 3 on defense!

I don't think someone saying you are number three means they think your cupboard is bare :rolleyes:

Hansel
February 12th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Hansel, I like you. I know you are not listing in order but I like that you put Furman first most of the time :D
What can I say, I like purple :p

Kiss My Apps
February 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Did I miss your depth chart analysis on that thread?
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7774

Missed that thread, but I'll give it a shot.

NSUDemon98
February 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM

I keep thinking the same thing. NO WAY TSU-SM is a Top 10 team...Top 25 MAYBE, but it has been the way in the SLC that after a pretty good year[SHSU 2004, NSU 1998] and making the semi-finals, the next year sucks and is usually a rebuilding year.

With as many players TSU-SM lost, I don't see them as a Top 10 team.

blackfordpu
February 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I keep thinking the same thing. NO WAY TSU-SM is a Top 10 team...Top 25 MAYBE, but it has been the way in the SLC that after a pretty good year[SHSU 2004, NSU 1998] and making the semi-finals, the next year sucks and is usually a rebuilding year.

With as many players TSU-SM lost, I don't see them as a Top 10 team.

Everyone in the SLC thinks this way except for those at TSU-SM.

NSUDemon98
February 12th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Everyone in the SLC thinks this way except for those at TSU-SM.

It usually takes experience...;)

GrizFamily
February 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM

Typical Bobcat. A whole post about why the Griz don't deserve the respect they get, but nothing to say about the kittens. How do you feel about you're team. We know you have Griz envy, you've proven that. How do you feel about you're team?

SochorField
February 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Lets see some more top 10-15 lists....I will revise mine soon. I admit, I need to learn more about teams east of the Miss.

txstatebobcat
February 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM
It usually takes experience...;)

Yeah, none of you thought that we would finish at the top of the SLC and end up being semi-finalists either.

89Hen
February 13th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I need to learn more about teams east of the Miss.
Don't bother, there aren't many teams east of the Miss worth studying. :read: ;)

PDXCat
February 13th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Typical Bobcat. A whole post about why the Griz don't deserve the respect they get, but nothing to say about the kittens. How do you feel about you're team. We know you have Griz envy, you've proven that. How do you feel about you're team?

Typical griz (I was impressed however that most of your counterparts that commented saw my post for what it was) - I was just responding to another poster's top ten list about a team I do know something about. Even you would have to have an overly optimistic view if you think UM should be ranked number 1 pre-season. As for the Cats this year, we'll be a lot better than people think. With the addition of the cb from UofA we should have a couple of real shut down corners and I think the MSU d will return to form. Our offense is a work in progress but our line will be very good and thats where it all starts but we do have quality, if not field tested yet, skill guys. That said I think the BSC is up for grabs with all the transfers to the various schools and Weber with McBride running the show. The top will be a battle between MSU, UM, PSU, and Weber State - next group of teams would be EW (they have huge qb and receiver issues) and ISU followed by NAU, Sac State and UNC.

jmuroller
February 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I will go ahead and lay this out there....

UNH is a Top 10 team. They will never be a Top 5 team, or a Nat'l Championship contender untill they learn to play defense. Defense has, and always will win championships.

GrizFamily
February 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Typical griz (I was impressed however that most of your counterparts that commented saw my post for what it was) - I was just responding to another poster's top ten list about a team I do know something about. Even you would have to have an overly optimistic view if you think UM should be ranked number 1 pre-season. As for the Cats this year, we'll be a lot better than people think. With the addition of the cb from UofA we should have a couple of real shut down corners and I think the MSU d will return to form. Our offense is a work in progress but our line will be very good and thats where it all starts but we do have quality, if not field tested yet, skill guys. That said I think the BSC is up for grabs with all the transfers to the various schools and Weber with McBride running the show. The top will be a battle between MSU, UM, PSU, and Weber State - next group of teams would be EW (they have huge qb and receiver issues) and ISU followed by NAU, Sac State and UNC.

Sorry PDX, couldn't resist yanking your tail on that post. Good response and I agree that I wouldn't put the Griz at #1 yet. We have lots of questions that need to be answered first, but I like where we are. I'm much more excited about next season than I was the last. I think we had big unanswered questions last year at QB and several other skill positions. I think we are much farther along this year. Swogger has started and been competitive at the I-A level and I think he can be very successful for us. And add Chambers and Bradshaw to an arsenal that wasn't bad with the likes of Hilliard and Bagley.

I agree with your assessment of Weber. They gave us a much tougher game in WAGRIZ than anyone expected. I remember we took alot of ribbing from the Cat fans until you barely squeaked by them the following week. Not sure how they are set for returning players and new recruits but McBride seems to have them headed in the right direction. And this year we have to go to their place. Should be an interesting game.

One thought that greatly comforts me this year is that we don't have to contend with either Lulay or Mr. Meyer not to mention that both teams lose their top receivers. I like our chances to redeem ourselves this year after losing to both the Cats and the Eags last year. Come to think of it, it's a wonder that we got into the playoffs last year after dropping both of those games.

All and all I like our chances to continue to stretch the consecutive playoff appearance record and am hopeful for a deeper run in the playoffs.

colgate13
February 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM

UNH is a Top 10 team. They will never be a Top 5 team, or a Nat'l Championship contender untill they learn to play defense. Defense has, and always will win championships.

I think that's coming from the wrong direction roller. The UNH defense might take a back seat to the offense, but they are not an 'offense only' team. Last year, aside from an odd shoot-out vs. rival Maine, they gave up 28 points on just one occasion in each of their wins (to a very good UMass team). I wasn't there to explain their loss to W&M.

In 8 games they played, their defense held their opponents to 3 TDs or less. That's not 'the best' but it is certainly in the same area that ASU or UNI were last year.

If you're just looking at 'total defense' statistics and finding UNH ranked 91, I think you're jumping to conclusions. For the record, National Runner Up UNI was ranked 71 and ASU was ranked 31...

I think UNH has a nice balance of solid (but not overwhelming) defense and a light 'em up offense that can put up as many points as the rest of them. Definite NC contender.

TypicalTribe
February 13th, 2006, 12:44 PM

You may want to brush up on your I-AA history before you make claims like that. There's always been plenty of offense in the I-AA playoffs. Plenty of teams have won titles scoring a boatload of points.

UNH 40
February 13th, 2006, 12:46 PM

What do you mean the will never be a to five team? Never contend for a national Championship? They were ranked #1 for 5 weeks this past season and some point this coming season will be ranked #1. They will most definitely content for a nat'l title they have to many good players not to. They are going to be pretty young on defense this season with only 3 seniors, but there young guys are very talented. One question I have, is based on what your JMU team did this year why does everyone have them in there top 5.

UNHWildCats
February 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I think that's coming from the wrong direction roller. The UNH defense might take a back seat to the offense, but they are not an 'offense only' team. Last year, aside from an odd shoot-out vs. rival Maine, they gave up 28 points on just one occasion in each of their wins (to a very good UMass team). I wasn't there to explain their loss to W&M.

In 8 games they played, their defense held their opponents to 3 TDs or less. That's not 'the best' but it is certainly in the same area that ASU or UNI were last year.

If you're just looking at 'total defense' statistics and finding UNH ranked 91, I think you're jumping to conclusions. For the record, National Runner Up UNI was ranked 71 and ASU was ranked 31...

I think UNH has a nice balance of solid (but not overwhelming) defense and a light 'em up offense that can put up as many points as the rest of them. Definite NC contender.

Also the need to point out that teams were throwing heavily in the second half of most games trying to catch up, and that the second half consisted of second and third string UNH defenders.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 13th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I tend to be one that also subscribes to the "Defense wins Chamionships" notion, but the Devil's Advocate in me say to look at I-A powerhouses USC and Texas. Last year they lit up opponent after opponent, and yet they also gave up a lot of points in those games frequently, ala UNH.

I will say this though in defense of JMU's preseason ranking:

We lost all four games by less than a touchdown (loss by 6 to UD was the largest margin for error)

By contrast, we lit it up on a few teams, including a very good Hofstra team at their house.

We return almost all of our key offensive weapons, including NC winners in our running backs, QB and a WR or two.

We have depth and the last two recruiting classes have been touted as JMU's best ever. We even took a couple people away this year from I-A schools in the ACC as well as fellow rivals UR and UD (to their credit, they got a couple of ours as well).

Still, preseason picks mean nothing, and JMU's schedule is especially tough now with the addition of an away at App St. But there is no doubt in my mind we have a top 10, possibly top 5 team heading into the year. As did last year, the Saturdays in the fall will determine who is rightfully atop the polls.

*cough, cough* Hampton *cough, cough* might be an exception to the rule about rankings...

HPCAT
February 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM

About as crazy as no one ranking last year's TXST Semi-final team in the preseason last year.

This 28 Senior crap is getting old. TXST lost 11 Senior starters and 17 2-deep. Period. If you were not on the 2-deep you were not getting quality playing time, as a rule.

We filled any holes we had from graduation very nicely. at least Matt D. also thinks so. We lose 4 seniors from the 20th ranked Defense last year, and that was with our poor secondary. that will be improved. The secondary almost cost the GSU game and did cost us the UNI game. I hate to burst all the Bailiff naysayers bubble, it was not his coaching decision to take a knee.

We will most likely not be a top 10 team at the beginning of the year, but could very likely be one at the end of the year.

NSUDemon98
February 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Yeah, none of you thought that we would finish at the top of the SLC and end up being semi-finalists either.

I really had no opinion on where you would finish...however there were some that predicted that TSU-SM would be a force to be reckoned with in 2005. Oddly enough, those same people are saying that there is a strong chance of being back at 6-5 or 5-6 next year with an even greater chance of no post season play.

UNH 40
February 13th, 2006, 01:29 PM
About as crazy as no one ranking last year's TXST Semi-final team in the preseason last year.]

This 28 Senior crap is getting old. TXST lost 11 Senior starters and 17 2-deep. Period. If you were not on the 2-deep you were not getting quality playing time, as a rule.

We filled any holes we had from graduation very nicely. at least Matt D. also thinks so. We lose 4 seniors from the 20th ranked Defense last year, and that was with our poor secondary. that will be improved. The secondary almost cost the GSU game and did cost us the UNI game. I hate to burst all the Bailiff naysayers bubble, it was not his coaching decision to take a knee.

We will most likely not be a top 10 team at the beginning of the year, but could very likely be one at the end of the year.

They lost the only one that matter for that team Barrick Nealy. They will struggle without him.

blueballs
February 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I hate to burst all the Bailiff naysayers bubble, it was not his coaching decision to take a knee.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but whose decision was it to take a knee if NOT the head coach?

MarkCCU
February 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM
1 montana
2 app state
3 jmu
4 uni
5 furman
6 eku
7 tex st
8 jacksonville st
9 sc state
10 cal poly

Really? SC State?

HPCAT
February 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I really had no opinion on where you would finish...however there were some that predicted that TSU-SM would be a force to be reckoned with in 2005. Oddly enough, those same people are saying that there is a strong chance of being back at 6-5 or 5-6 next year with an even greater chance of no post season play.

LMAO, how vague can you be ?

Let's see, the some people predict the sky is blue, and some believe it is aquamarine.

A Prediction or an opinion is like an a$$hole, everyone's got one. The only poll that counts is the final one after the championship.

BTW, what is this TSU-SM, did Texas Southern open a campus in South Montrose ? Texas State is and always will be TXST, never has or will be TSU. Texas Southern and Tarleton State can have it in Texas. There are numerous others across the nation. If you did not know better, I apologize for correcting you, it just looks like some weak Sam smack, which I believed NSU to be above, but if you are trying to be disrespectful and insinuate that TXST is a satellite campus of TSU. take it to the smack board please.

Let me make it clear, I am not smacking Texas Southern here, just being from the Houston area, TSU to me means Texas Southern, and I assume SM is meant to be San Marcos.

I kind of find it funny that we got the game with you, after some of our SLC brethren bitch and complain about not playing TSU.

HPCAT
February 13th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Not trying to be a smart ass, but whose decision was it to take a knee if NOT the head coach?

The point is that the knee did not lose the game, IMHO the poor secondary play was the largest factor. Giving up multiple long TD passes, 2 to start the game, took us out of our usual game plan. Not to mention the 2 point conversion to go into OT.

I did beleive that once UNI tied the game, we would not be playing for the title due to the large momentum swing in their favor.

jmuroller
February 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM
UNH is average at best in defense. It is there achilles heel to say.

You heard it here first....UNH will go 1-2 against Richmond, JMU, and UD next year.

colgate13
February 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM
You heard it here first....UNH will go 1-2 against Richmond, JMU, and UD next year.

3-0 IMO. Just be sure to come back and face the music!

HPCAT
February 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM
They lost the only one that matter for that team Barrick Nealy. They will struggle without him.

Good point, for the 2005 team, Nealy was very crucial.

The 2006 team will be built to utilize the skills and tools that are in place now, Coach Bailiff has accepted Nealy is gone, and adjustments will and have been made, and our next QB will be a more accurate passer, with speed almost equal to Nealy.

MYTAPPY
February 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM

I agree..the Knee was the worst coaching call sense Furman went for two....Sorry Paladin fans.. Taking that Knee says to your quarterback......"i have no faith in you to lead this team down the field and score"

jmuroller
February 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I agree..the Knee was the worst coaching call sense Furman went for two....Sorry Paladin fans.. Taking that Knee says to your quarterback......"i have no faith in you to lead this team down the field and score"

Exactly. Think what could have been (or NOT been for that matter) if Billichik made Brady take a knee in there first Super Bowl win. At the very least if you throw 2 incompletions, then on 3rd down you can run the ball and then punt w/ basically no time on the clock.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 13th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuroller

3-0 IMO. Just be sure to come back and face the music!

UNH should be heavily favored vs. UR, and I put them at a slight favor over UD. JMU should be slight favorite considering the game is in Harrisonburg. UNH will be tough to beat again. 1-2 not likely...

But 3-0? That'll be tough as well my friend from the North! ;)

GSUSpider
February 13th, 2006, 05:25 PM
UNH should be heavily favored vs. UR, and I put them at a slight favor over UD. JMU should be slight favorite considering the game is in Harrisonburg. UNH will be tough to beat again. 1-2 not likely...

Go ahead JMU, sleep on Richmond. We'll see.

youwouldno
February 13th, 2006, 05:43 PM

I thought the knee call was a lot worse. I still don't see how Lamb's decision was that bad... sometimes you have to blame the guys actually playing for screwing things up.

Kneeling takes the players out of the equation, and in that situation it was the wrong call, not just a bad result.

JMU Duke Dog
February 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Go ahead JMU, sleep on Richmond. We'll see.

I will not! JMU won only 26-20 in Richmond during the national championship season. For some weird reason JMU does not play well there. The Dukes are going to have to be sharp in Richmond and in all games in 2006 to make it back to the playoffs. Some JMU fans learned the lesson of how a few bounces and/or calls can make the playoffs unattainable.

JMU Duke Dog
February 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM

JMU plays AT New Hampshire on October 14, 2006. It will be the Wildcats' homecoming too!

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 13th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I have no idea of where to put GSU. There is just no telling. Big Transition.

NSUDemon98
February 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM
LMAO, how vague can you be ?

Let's see, the some people predict the sky is blue, and some believe it is aquamarine.

A Prediction or an opinion is like an a$$hole, everyone's got one. The only poll that counts is the final one after the championship.

BTW, what is this TSU-SM, did Texas Southern open a campus in South Montrose ? Texas State is and always will be TXST, never has or will be TSU. Texas Southern and Tarleton State can have it in Texas. There are numerous others across the nation. If you did not know better, I apologize for correcting you, it just looks like some weak Sam smack, which I believed NSU to be above, but if you are trying to be disrespectful and insinuate that TXST is a satellite campus of TSU. take it to the smack board please.

Let me make it clear, I am not smacking Texas Southern here, just being from the Houston area, TSU to me means Texas Southern, and I assume SM is meant to be San Marcos.

I kind of find it funny that we got the game with you, after some of our SLC brethren bitch and complain about not playing TSU.

No disrespect meant. I certainly didn't mean it as a satelite campus of TxSouthern. I just didn't feel like typing Texas State University-San Marcos...I figured you would know what I meant.

But back to the matter at hand. I don't understand why people are ranking you guys so high after what you lost. In 1998 we went to the semi-finals, lost a lot of guys, and in 1999 we were a preseason #4 team...I think we ended up 5-6. In 2004, SHSU, who ironically road a QB to victory, ended up 2-9 the next year.

You aren't those teams but I will be suprised if you guys reverse the curse. And quite frankly, after what I read on the bobcatfans.com board, and I mean this as nice as possible, but I hope every team ya'll play destroys you.

McNeese75
February 13th, 2006, 10:56 PM
No disrespect meant. I certainly didn't mean it as a satelite campus of TxSouthern. I just didn't feel like typing Texas State University-San Marcos...I figured you would know what I meant.

But back to the matter at hand. I don't understand why people are ranking you guys so high after what you lost. In 1998 we went to the semi-finals, lost a lot of guys, and in 1999 we were a preseason #4 team...I think we ended up 5-6. In 2004, SHSU, who ironically road a QB to victory, ended up 2-9 the next year.

You aren't those teams but I will be suprised if you guys reverse the curse. And quite frankly, after what I read on the bobcatfans.com board, and I mean this as nice as possible, but I hope every team ya'll play destroys you.

:lmao:

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 06:25 AM
UNH is average at best in defense. It is there achilles heel to say.

An average Defense is capable of stopping average offenses, and thats what all three of those teams are on offense. UNH will put up 30+ against all three of those Defenses make them look less than average and will probably give up 20 to 30 points. At the very worst 2-1 in that stretch. You have to remember that UD and UR lost there starting QB's you can't underestimate how that affects an offense.

NSUDemon98
February 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM
:lmao:

WHAT??? Which part?

DTSpider
February 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I haven't been able to keep up with the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been covered, but where does Hampton fall? They bring a lot back and probably will dominate the MEAC again.

I'm also curious if a team like Richmond gets any ranking consideration. They bring pretty much everyone back except Tutt. Does a freshman QB drop them out of the Top 25? I realize that UR will probably be ranked lower than JMU, UNH, UD & UMass, so is there room for 5 A10 teams in the preseason top 25?

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I haven't been able to keep up with the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been covered, but where does Hampton fall? They bring a lot back and probably will dominate the MEAC again.

I'm also curious if a team like Richmond gets any ranking consideration. They bring pretty much everyone back except Tutt. Does a freshman QB drop them out of the Top 25? I realize that UR will probably be ranked lower than JMU, UNH, UD & UMass, so is there room for 5 A10 teams in the preseason top 25?

I think that Richmond is the third best team in the A10 to UNH and JMU. If they had a more experienced QB they would be pushing UNH for the best team in the conference going into next season. As for preseason ranks they are without a doubt a top 25 team. I would say somewhere between 10-15.

nlwwln
February 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM
tutt was such a key component to what richmond did, he was a huge part of that offense. because of him he made the running game and passing game work. so the loss of tutt is big but like you said he is the only real big loss and you all do have a good rb and core of receivers so if a new qb can come in and run that offense richmond should still be able to contend but the question is how much? I guess it all depends on who steps up at qb and how effective he can be in the offense because i dont think you can expect to bring in some young guy who can run the ball and throw the ball the way tutt did. tutt was a very underated player and definatly has the skill to play at the next level. depth may also be an issue for you guys. I suspect that if you guys can find a qb to run the offense you should be right back in the playoff race thats assuming you stay healthy.

DTSpider
February 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I'm hoping that Richmond can get the breaks again this year. The UR-UNH game could be huge for the conference. For UNH, it's the middle game of the UD-UR-JMU stretch. UR hopefully should be 3-1 (VMI, Bucknell & Northeastern at home after opening at Duke). Historically UR has not defended the pass well, so hopefully Santos & Ball forget to set their alarm clocks, get lost on the way to the stadium, or otherwise are absent form the game.

carney2
February 14th, 2006, 09:02 AM

I cannot speak for others, but for me

HAMPTON is a preseason 20 - 25, if that. Their 2005 playoff (non)showing indicates that they don't really belong with the big kids. I'd hate to leave a deserving team off of my list just to include this bunch.

RICHMOND begins my season in the teens. They recruited well last year (this season's sophomores), and Dave C. seems to have everything headed in the right direction. Some folks seem to think that they were a one year wonder. I'm not one of those people. They may have some trouble with the "parity" in the A-10 South however. Anyway, it's between Richmond and Delaware for my number 3 team in the A-10 (behind UNH and JMU) and you know that no I-AA Top 25 is complete without at least 4 A-10 teams.

nlwwln
February 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM
im curious to see how good georgia southern is going to be this season, they seem to have a pretty solid roster as they do every year but they go into next season with such a huge question mark in the offense and the qb thats going to run it. My guess is that the depth and balance they have as a team will make up for any lack of stablilty or consitancy throwing the ball that they may experience. If they can pull together under their new coach and play well as a team I expect them to be fighting it out with app and furman for a playoff spot. I think the team that is most physical will have the advantage and app has definatly demonstrated that they can play physical. georgia southerns depth and speed leads me to believe that they can play with anyone in the country.

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM
im curious to see how good georgia southern is going to be this season, they seem to have a pretty solid roster as they do every year but they go into next season with such a huge question mark in the offense and the qb thats going to run it. My guess is that the depth and balance they have as a team will make up for any lack of stablilty or consitancy throwing the ball that they may experience. If they can pull together under their new coach and play well as a team I expect them to be fighting it out with app and furman for a playoff spot. I think the team that is most physical will have the advantage and app has definatly demonstrated that they can play physical. georgia southerns depth and speed leads me to believe that they can play with anyone in the country.

It all depends on whether or not they can get a QB that can play in the new system that is being implimented, because their current QB can't handle it. If their defense can limit teams they will probably be able to hang with a lot of teams.

youwouldno
February 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I think their real problem is defense. Not having a QB is kind of troubling as well.

They'll improve as the year goes along, but there is a minimal chance they win the SoCon and a marginal chance they make the playoffs.

GannonFan
February 14th, 2006, 09:53 AM
An average Defense is capable of stopping average offenses, and thats what all three of those teams are on offense. UNH will put up 30+ against all three of those Defenses make them look less than average and will probably give up 20 to 30 points. At the very worst 2-1 in that stretch. You have to remember that UD and UR lost there starting QB's you can't underestimate how that affects an offense.

Wow, somebody actually saying that UD's offense could go backwards without Riccio at the helm. Weren't you the same one that said that UD wouldn't win anything with Riccio playing QB? So what you're saying is he wasn't any good, and UD will also miss him? :rotateh:

HensRock
February 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Wow, somebody actually saying that UD's offense could go backwards without Riccio at the helm. Weren't you the same one that said that UD wouldn't win anything with Riccio playing QB? So what you're saying is he wasn't any good, and UD will also miss him? :rotateh:

Yeah, Just look how UNH has "struggled" since losing Granieri in the opening game of 2004!

What will be different about UD this year is that we will not go into the season missing our top 4 WR's. I do not think JMU will be as good as most others seem to feel. I think UD will be the one of the top 3 in the A10.

I also think that Georgia Southern will struggle as they overhaul the offense (6-5 or 7-4, no playoffs), but they'll be back with a vengeance in 2007.

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 10:52 AM

I don't know if they will go backwards. I do know that Riccio stunk, but he was the best QB on your team last year, if he wasn't wouldn't someone have taken over for him. Until someone steps in and proves he can compete at this level they have a hole at QB, and until you know for sure what you have at that position you are always a question mark in my book.

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah, Just look how UNH has "struggled" since losing Granieri in the opening game of 2004!

What will be different about UD this year is that we will not go into the season missing our top 4 WR's. I do not think JMU will be as good as most others seem to feel. I think UD will be the one of the top 3 in the A10.

I also think that Georgia Southern will struggle as they overhaul the offense (6-5 or 7-4, no playoffs), but they'll be back with a vengeance in 2007.

I hope that you are not comparing Granieri to Riccio, because there is no comparison. If you do have a guy like Santos coming through the system to take over for Riccio down in Delaware you will be a great team, but that is yet to be seen.

I also don't know why JMU is projected to be so good by everyone.

HensRock
February 14th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I hope that you are not comparing Granieri to Riccio, because there is no comparison. If you do have a guy like Santos coming through the system to take over for Riccio down in Delaware you will be a great team, but that is yet to be seen.

Not a dig at Granieri. He was very good in his own right. Just saying that losing a QB doesn't always hurt - using an example that you should be very familiar with. Santos was a complete unknown, buried on the depth chart until fate put him in the limelight - and he shined. Not saying that will happen at UD, but I don't think our starter this year will be worse than Riccio.

Glad to see someone else agrees about JMU.

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I don't think our starter this year will be worse than Riccio.

It would be hard to be worse.

DTSpider
February 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM

I'm surprised the Dukes haven't come after this one yet. JMU has a lot of team speed. They have proven running backs and a returning QB. If their line play is good than they are a tough team to beat. Their problems seem to be from the neck up (see overconfident vs. CCU, personal fouls, timeout issues, etc.). They are a known quantity at this point at the skill positions, which is something that UR & UD can't claim. For all we know, W&M could run the table in the A10 South and Towson keeps getting better.

jmuroller
February 14th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I think that Richmond is the third best team in the A10 to UNH and JMU.

So which one is it? You say one thing, then a page later turn right around say another?

Everyone in JMU Nation was severely disapointed with our season last year. We looked terrible in our losses to CCU, UD, and UR. Still, we could have won those games towards the end. But when we won, we took the teams to the woodshed. Except for W&M, all of our wins were beatings. Next year we look for big things. Anything short of playoffs will be a 100% dissapointment.

boozeANDammo
February 14th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I do not think JMU will be as good as most others seem to feel. I think UD will be the one of the top 3 in the A10.

Base that opinion on something tangible.

I usually try to contain any semblance of homerism, though this may come off as something close. It's not intended too.

I think we'll be better then I initially anticipated after the end of last season.

Any team returning all their impact RB's, a senior QB that won a NC, arguably the best defensive I-AA talent (Tony LeZotte) in the country and a whole host of returning starters to compliment that core group... you gotta consider 'em a contender.

We never got the chemistry going last year and we were literally two bounces away from going 9-2. Most of that team is returning and more importantly, the core mentioned above is back. We'll definitely be in the hunt for the A-10 South.

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM
So which one is it? You say one thing, then a page later turn right around say another?

Everyone in JMU Nation was severely disapointed with our season last year. We looked terrible in our losses to CCU, UD, and UR. Still, we could have won those games towards the end. But when we won, we took the teams to the woodshed. Except for W&M, all of our wins were beatings. Next year we look for big things. Anything short of playoffs will be a 100% dissapointment.

I didn't contradict myself. JMU is overrated in the national rankings for a team that lost 4 bad games, but is not overrated A-10. I still think that they are the second best team in the league. I would rank them between 8-12 in the nation not in the top 5, based on the way they finished last year.

GannonFan
February 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I don't know if they will go backwards. I do know that Riccio stunk, but he was the best QB on your team last year, if he wasn't wouldn't someone have taken over for him. Until someone steps in and proves he can compete at this level they have a hole at QB, and until you know for sure what you have at that position you are always a question mark in my book.

Well, with Flacco being on the bench last year as he was not released from scholarship when he transferred from Pitt, it is possible that we had a better QB on the sideline but just couldn't play him. As for Riccio stinking, I wouldn't go that far - he was saddled with an inordinate number of injuries on the offensive side of the ball - both potential All-A10 receivers gone before the end of the year, the top 4 WR's all gone by halfway through the year, and an offensive line that was so banged up it started a true freshman halfway through the season just to have 5 guys available. Riccio takes a lot of blame for last year that wasn't entirely his. We wouldn't have won a lot more games even if we had Santos - it was more than just a one player issue. But, like I said, we've got two real talents in the wings and with all the depth returning on the offensive side of the ball, plus Omar Cuff being back, we'll be just fine thank you very much.

HensRock
February 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Base that opinion on something tangible.

OK, UD was decimated by injuries last year, especially at WR (where we lost our top 4) and on the lines. We therefore started a LOT of young players that now have game experience. We have 2 stud QB's, so we'll find out who is better and start him. We are very deep and strong now on the OL. The DL needs a little help which we expect to come via transfer. In short, we've sorted out our personnel at WR and they should help take defensive pressure off of our running game. All we had last year was Cuff and we still managed to beat JMU and win our last 2 games on the road to salvage a winning season. We should be much more balanced and effective on offense this year. Our pass-D was suspect last year as well also partly due to injuries and that has been addressed. We've had several exceptional recruiting classes in a row since the 2003 NC.

Black Saturday
February 14th, 2006, 12:42 PM

1. Northern Iowa
2. New Hampshire
3. James Madison
4. Montana
5. Cal Poly
6. Texas State
7. Colgate
8. Weber State
9. Youngstown State
10. Eastern Illinois

Thanks for giving the SoCon respect in your top 10.

DTSpider
February 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
JMU is overrated in the national rankings for a team that lost 4 bad games

Come on now. Was losing to a Richmond team that won a first round playoff game 18-15 that awful? What about a road loss to UMass 10-7? I give you Coastal was a bad loss. Even though UD last year wasn't great, it still was on the road

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Come on now. Was losing to a Richmond team that won a first round playoff game 18-15 that awful? What about a road loss to UMass 10-7? I give you Coastal was a bad loss. Even though UD last year wasn't great, it still was on the road

any loss is a bad one. UNH had 2.

GrizFamily
February 14th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm surprised the Dukes haven't come after this one yet. JMU has a lot of team speed. They have proven running backs and a returning QB. If their line play is good than they are a tough team to beat. Their problems seem to be from the neck up (see overconfident vs. CCU, personal fouls, timeout issues, etc.). They are a known quantity at this point at the skill positions, which is something that UR & UD can't claim. For all we know, W&M could run the table in the A10 South and Towson keeps getting better.

I still have nightmares about them in the second half of the 04 chipper. But how is their o line compared to what they had then? The were sure a force in 04.

youwouldno
February 14th, 2006, 02:11 PM

I think we can assume he either didn't think about it very hard or isn't too bright.

jmuroller
February 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM
any loss is a bad one. UNH had 2.

This makes absolutely no sense.

Catmendue2
February 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Don't you know its the A-10 and the rest of 1AAA. ;)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 14th, 2006, 04:03 PM
GrizFamily - We will be solid again on O-line. We lost an All-American in Matt Magerko, who started on line in '04, but we bring back All-Conference OT Corey Davis. Again, that year was a special year for the O-line, but we're still solid.

Good luck to you guys out West!

crunifan
February 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I don't care about how good recruiting classes are, so until they prove themselves on the field, the top five with out question should be:

1) Appalachian State
2) UNI
3) Furman
4) Texas State
5) New Hampshire

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 04:32 PM
This makes absolutely no sense.

If you don't understand that then i guess that means that you have no experience in competative sports, either that or you yourself are not competetive. Its ok you can stay happy with your 4 losses and think that they were ok just because you only lost by a couple points. You can be sure that every loss the players at JMU suffer is considered by them a bad loss.

GrizFamily
February 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
GrizFamily - We will be solid again on O-line. We lost an All-American in Matt Magerko, who started on line in '04, but we bring back All-Conference OT Corey Davis. Again, that year was a special year for the O-line, but we're still solid.

Good luck to you guys out West!

Thanks for the good wishes. I like the Griz's chances this coming year. Would love another shot at the Dukes, but not taking nothin away from what you guys accomplished in '04. That was special. I still had hope at halftime of the chipper, but you guys steamrolled it in the second half. It was so frustrating knowing exactly what the Dukes were going to do and knowing we were powerless to stop it.

I think our backfield could be very productive this year with Lex coming back and the addition of the Bradshaw kid from Louiville. Reports from the players have been very positive about him so far, but of course only time will tell. For now, I'm having fun thinking about what could be in '06. So I at least have that. Can't wait for spring ball and next fall when we put it all between the lines. Good luck to you guys as well.

You're fans represented your school well at the chipper, although it would have been nice to interact with them more before the game started. They flooded in right before kick-off and were gone right after.

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I don't care about how good recruiting classes are, so until they prove themselves on the field, the top five with out question should be:

1) Appalachian State
2) UNI
3) Furman
4) Texas State
5) New Hampshire

Furman and Texas State will be hard pressed to garner that high of a ranking because of the fact that both teams are going to lose their starting QB, as well as some other big time players. I do agree with UNI, APP. St., and UNH though.

youwouldno
February 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM
App St. loses their QB too. But you have to look at the whole picture... Furman returns a lot of players, especially on defense, whereas TX St. for instance loses a ton.

DTSpider
February 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM
If you don't understand that then i guess that means that you have no experience in competative sports, either that or you yourself are not competetive. Its ok you can stay happy with your 4 losses and think that they were ok just because you only lost by a couple points. You can be sure that every loss the players at JMU suffer is considered by them a bad loss.

I agree that every loss is a bad loss from a player & coach's perspective. However, in terms of comparing teams in a national environment, all losses are not the same. Case in point last year an Appy St. loss to LSU is not the same as JMU's loss to Coastal. And at the same token, ASU had a very successful year despite their losses.

HPCAT
February 14th, 2006, 05:45 PM
App St. loses their QB too. But you have to look at the whole picture... Furman returns a lot of players, especially on defense, whereas TX St. for instance loses a ton.

I see Furman only lost 2 starters off their 67th ranked defense, but on the other hand, TXST only lost 4 starters off the 20th ranked defense that played 5 offenses ranked in the top 30 and A&M, whose offense was not a slouch either.

TXST lost 11 starters, 17 off two-deep, and 27 total seniors, of which 10 hardly saw the field. The facts for about the 10th time, evaluate as you may, I like our chances that we will be in the playoff hunt.

I personally don't mind if everyone ignores us like last year, actually I prefer it. :) :nod: xprost2x

jmuroller
February 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Please. Save me the emotional outburst of "any loss is a bad loss." Your original statement was that JMU had 4 "bad" losses last year By no means were all of our losses "bad." Tough yes, bad no. We had 4 losses that if just a few more breaks went our way we could have gone 3-1 instead of 0-4. Just because I don't think our losses were bad, doesn't imply I am happy with them. Some of the stuff that comes out of your mouth is just crazy.

youwouldno
February 14th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I see Furman only lost 2 starters off their 67th ranked defense, but on the other hand, TXST only lost 4 starters off the 20th ranked defense that played 5 offenses ranked in the top 30 and A&M, whose offense was not a slouch either.

TXST lost 11 starters, 17 off two-deep, and 27 total seniors, of which 10 hardly saw the field. The facts for about the 10th time, evaluate as you may, I like our chances that we will be in the playoff hunt.

I personally don't mind if everyone ignores us like last year, actually I prefer it. :) :nod: xprost2x

17 off the 2-deep is a lot! Furman loses I think 11 which is not insignificant by any means.

But it's not about the total number, it's about who is gone and how capable a team is of replacing them. Teams like Furman and Montana and App St have proven they can reload. Texas St. hasn't. Losing 2 star DTs is a big loss that could impact the entire defense. That happened to GSU and Furman's defense in 2005, when inexperienced D-lines were a serious problem. 'Star' safeties suddenly were vulnerable because QBs had more time and they had to cheat against the run.

I was just using Texas St as a possible example. I have nothing against them. But when I consider my preseason poll, I'm going to consider both the players lost and the ability a program has demonstrated to replace losses in the past. That could well lead to a program on the rise being underestimated but, hey, its just a poll.

UNH 40
February 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Please. Save me the emotional outburst of "any loss is a bad loss." Your original statement was that JMU had 4 "bad" losses last year By no means were all of our losses "bad." Tough yes, bad no. We had 4 losses that if just a few more breaks went our way we could have gone 3-1 instead of 0-4. Just because I don't think our losses were bad, doesn't imply I am happy with them. Some of the stuff that comes out of your mouth is just crazy.

When i said they were bad i meant tough not like the team got blown out bad.

bobcatalum05
February 16th, 2006, 10:53 PM
With all of Cal Poly's young talent coming back and if you dont have them in your top five then you are dellusional.

NSU-After you guys played in our house two years ago and the way you treated us in our own house and after what you just said......I hope everybody destroys NSU.....No I take that back I am not so hateful.

Oh yeah and what HPCat mean is its not TSU the acronym is TXST as in TeXas STate. Sometimes I think you guys cant even read.....And why are you guys so concerned about whats on our board just because everyone elses in the SLC is dissmal. Just relax and let the teams play, and dont worry whats on our board, no one sure as hell worry's about whats on yours. xcoffeex

kats89
February 16th, 2006, 11:20 PM
With all of Cal Poly's young talent coming back and if you dont have them in your top five then you are dellusional.

NSU-After you guys played in our house two years ago and the way you treated us in our own house and after what you just said......I hope everybody destroys NSU.....No I take that back I am not so hateful.

Oh yeah and what HPCat mean is its not TSU the acronym is TXST as in TeXas STate. Sometimes I think you guys cant even read.....And why are you guys so concerned about whats on our board just because everyone elses in the SLC is dissmal. Just relax and let the teams play, and dont worry whats on our board, no one sure as hell worry's about whats on yours. xcoffeex

Typical bobkittie fan.:boring:

tralfangar
February 16th, 2006, 11:49 PM

I know it's close to heresy, but I really do think Furman will have a strong team this fall. They return an extremely powerful running attack, and as some have already mentioned, they have a quarterback who will fit in very well with their offense. Furthermore, I honestly can't believe their defense will be as bad as it was last year after building on experience.

This is just an opinion, but I have a huge problem with automatically ranking the previous champion at #1 unless they are obviously the favorite.

I hate to be a downer, but I just don't see the success that we had this past year happening again. I'd love to be wrong, but I honestly was not that impressed with Elder. He throws a lot of softballs, telegraphs passes, and is a LOT slower than I remember from two years ago. However, the potential is there, and again I'd love to be wrong. We have the defense, I only question the leadership of the offense.

bobcatalum05
February 17th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Typical bobkittie fan.:boring:

Typical Bearkat fan. Always just trying to cut down another university. I could call you sammy state or prisoners or say NSU is in Loserana, but I didnt I leave that to you guys. I try not to disrespect other universities, but you guys dont have the same attitude. xcoffeex

Oh yeah, I put McNeese as the top rated SLC team at the beggining of the year. I guess McNeese couldnt stay down forever. They have a favorable home SLC schedule and they where young last year and look to be much improved. The Bobcats will be better than most of you guys care to believe, but I am not gonna tell you they will win it all, but you never know anything can happen of anygivensaturday.

ChickenMan
February 17th, 2006, 09:07 AM
It would be hard to be worse.

Joe Flacco... a 6'6 225 Pitt transfer is expected to be the Hen's QB in '06. Flacco didn't play much at Pitt (behind NFL prospect Tyler Palko) but he was a nationally rated QB that no I-AA school would have had a shot at coming out of HS. Pitt desparately tryed to keep Flacco and wouldn't release him from his scholarship even after he transfered to UD. As a result... Flacco wasn't eligible to play last year... but he was able to practice... so he isn't coming in cold. Who knows what will happen... but there's certainly a lot of potential in a guy with Flacco's ability.

Tubby Raymond
February 17th, 2006, 09:41 AM

The loss to CCU was a bad loss, the loss to UD was a bad loss, that is at least two BAD losses. Helll, we couldn't beat Towson last year.: flamemad

Bobcat94
February 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Sure a lot of talk about Texas State around here.:smiley_wi

1. New Hamshire
2. UNI
3. App. St.
4. Cal Poly
5. Salukis'
6. Youngstown St.
7. Montana
8. Furman
9. Texas St.
10.E. Wash.

UNH 40
February 17th, 2006, 12:23 PM

1. New Hamshire
2. UNI
3. App. St.
4. Cal Poly
5. Salukis'
6. Youngstown St.
7. Montana
8. Furman
9. Texas St.
10.E. Wash.

That is a good top 10. I think the 1,2, and 3 are interchangable for the most part.

Bobcat94
February 17th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Thank you. UNH should be good this year, as will everyone listed.

catbob
February 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I'd be hard-pressed to put EWU in the top 10.

Meyer, Kimble, and Vijil (2nd leading receiver) are both gone. They may still be a top 10 team, but replacing those three will be a daunting task.

MYTAPPY
February 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM

1. New Hamshire
2. UNI
3. App. St.
4. Cal Poly
5. Salukis'
6. Youngstown St.
7. Montana
8. Furman
9. Texas St.
10.E. Wash.

I'll take a top three spot. I do think Furman will be higher than and 8 though. Maybe swap them with the Salukis.

eagle1
February 17th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I seriously don't think that EWU should be pre-season ranked in the top 10 but we might end up there by seasons end. Thanks for the love though! Go Eagles!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

eagleskins
February 17th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Joe Flacco... a 6'6 225 Pitt transfer is expected to be the Hen's QB in '06. Flacco didn't play much at Pitt (behind NFL prospect Tyler Palko) but he was a nationally rated QB that no I-AA school would have had a shot at coming out of HS. Pitt desparately tryed to keep Flacco and wouldn't release him from his scholarship even after he transfered to UD. As a result... Flacco wasn't eligible to play last year... but he was able to practice... so he isn't coming in cold. Who knows what will happen... but there's certainly a lot of potential in a guy with Flacco's ability.

Does Delaware ever start a non transfer at QB?

TypicalTribe
February 17th, 2006, 04:09 PM
1. New Hampshire
2. Northern Iowa
3. Montana
4. Delaware
5. Furman
6. Youngstown St.
7. Appalachian State
8. James Madison
9. Cal Poly
10. Illinois State

OL FU
February 17th, 2006, 04:15 PM
1. New Hampshire
2. Northern Iowa
3. Montana
4. Delaware
5. Furman
6. Youngstown St.
7. Appalachian State
8. James Madison
9. Cal Poly
10. Illinois State

I admit that I am a sandbagger and I admit I expect FU to be good. But I really think we start out somewhere between 10 and 15. Here is the reason. Offense will still be good but it has to be down slightly from where it was last year. Which means that the defense has to be much better than 2005. Now I think it will be much better but it probably needs a game or two to prove it. Also, it was pretty clear that while we ended 2005 as one of the best teams in the country, we didn't start out close to that.

Just a couple of thoughts from friendly sandbagging OL FUxcoffeex

GannonFan
February 17th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Does Delaware ever start a non transfer at QB?

Yawn.

igo4uni
February 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM
1. New Hampshire
2. Northern Iowa
3. Montana
4. Delaware
5. Furman
6. Youngstown St.
7. Appalachian State
8. James Madison
9. Cal Poly
10. Illinois State

I was very impressed last year by Santos and Ball for UNH. They really seemed to have their stuff together. They should be tough again this year.

I would love to see UNH come to the fabulous UNI-Dome!!

nlwwln
February 17th, 2006, 11:48 PM
how can you have app at 7 they should at least be 1 or 2. the only big losses are richie and hunter, trey will do very well in that offense next yr and they will have plenty of competition at DE.

GannonFan
February 17th, 2006, 11:54 PM
how can you have app at 7 they should at least be 1 or 2. the only big losses are richie and hunter, trey will do very well in that offense next yr and they will have plenty of competition at DE.

That's funny, if they should be at least #1, what would they top out at? ;) Everyone has their own opinion, and I haven't even said mine yet, but when your only big losses are your best offensive player and your best defensive player, both of whom played huge roles in winning the national title, I don't think it's unreasonable to see a drop off in success. Ask W&M how losing Payton winner Lang Campbell went even though they felt the QB's behind him would do well in their offensive system. Replacing great players with other great players doesn't happen often.

CoastalFan2005
February 17th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Thank you very much. I think top 10 is a bit high but we should be in the mix.

I don't get upset like some other fans when my team doesn't get mentioned, but I am a little perplexed as to why CCU hasn't been mentioned more in this thread. We bring back 35 seniors and only lose a couple of starters. Plus we have some very good young talent coming off of red-shirts. I think we have a lot more going for us than people give us credit for.

Good points, rok. Though I'm like you (as far as the perplexed part), I think I like us better being back in that "unknown" type of role. It generally works pretty well for us, :) .

Now, I don't think this team I'm about to talk about will get anywhere near the top ten. But a school that is quietly amassing a ton of I-A talent is Liberty University. Guys from VCU and VaTech are transferring to LU like it's the pilgrimage to Mecca (any sort of religious jab at Falwell is unintended...even though it's the wrong religion). I think that Liberty will be much improved this fall.

ChickenMan
February 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Ask W&M how losing Payton winner Lang Campbell went even though they felt the QB's behind him would do well in their offensive system. Replacing great players with other great players doesn't happen often.

No need to go to W&M... ask UD about replacing Andy Hall.

DaGriz
February 18th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I was very impressed last year by Santos and Ball for UNH. They really seemed to have their stuff together. They should be tough again this year.

I would love to see UNH come to the fabulous UNI-Dome!!

Jeez, Santos and Ball still. Nice to have two stars on a team for so long. It seems like they have been playing for ever.

GannonFan
February 18th, 2006, 03:23 PM
No need to go to W&M... ask UD about replacing Andy Hall.

Going from a national title one year to losing in the quarterfinals the next year is a much shorter dropoff than going from the semifinals to a losing record.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 18th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Jeez, Santos and Ball still. Nice to have two stars on a team for so long. It seems like they have been playing for ever.

Just think, if Ball had been redshirted like most freshmen, we'd be looking at two more years of the tandem playing!

DaGriz
February 18th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Just think, if Ball had been redshirted like most freshmen, we'd be looking at two more years of the tandem playing!

Would that have been the year you guys came to Missoula? Would you have made the playoffs with out him that year? Maybe it's a good thing he didn't redshirt.

JMU Duke Dog
February 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
But a school that is quietly amassing a ton of I-A talent is Liberty University. Guys from VCU and VaTech are transferring to LU like it's the pilgrimage to Mecca (any sort of religious jab at Falwell is unintended...even though it's the wrong religion). I think that Liberty will be much improved this fall.

VCU does not field a football team. They had a RB transfer from Pitt but that was also due to him wanting to play closer to where his father lives who is ill. An admirable move in my opinion.

skinny_uncle
February 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM
1) UNH - With that offense returning things look real bright. Question will be the Defense
2) UNI - Even though they lost in the Finals. The core is returning and should be dangerous
4) CP - Same team. Just without the last two Buck winners. I dont believe they will finish this high due to the OC schedule.
5) Montana - The best team in the BSC is returning. and plus its Montana
6) Furman
7)S. Illinois - if and only if they play some better teams this year will the stay this high
8) Richmond - Great Season next last year. Going out on a limb here with this pick
9) James Madison - After an off year last year, i expect them to bounch back

WHo didnt make it

Ga Southern - Doubt they wll have what it takes to run that offense to be any godd

Tex State - 28 Seniors gone enough said
I am a huge Saluki fan and even I could never dream of waking my Dawgs in a preseason poll. We graduated about 40% of our players last year. we have to replace our QB, most of the top receivers and almost our whole starting D. These guys are unproven until they get some games under their belt. We graduated 24 guys, almost as many as Tex State. The new guys may surprise me, but we deserve nothing in a preseason ranking. If we win some games, then look at us. If we knock off Indiana, then I will agree you might have been right. but these guys have to prove themselves on the field before we can even be considered as a contender in the conference.

skinny_uncle
February 19th, 2006, 07:41 PM

1. New Hamshire
2. UNI
3. App. St.
4. Cal Poly
5. Salukis'
6. Youngstown St.
7. Montana
8. Furman
9. Texas St.
10.E. Wash.
See my previous post.

griz&beer
February 19th, 2006, 11:08 PM
1. New Hamp.
2. App St
3. UNI
4. UM
5. Cal Poly
6. Salukis
7. Furman
8. NDSU
9. Delaware
10. W&M

In the hunt, ,Texas State, JMU, YSU, the cowboy's of MSU, Costal Car. and Cal. Davis.

ChickenMan
February 20th, 2006, 08:02 AM
1. New Hamp.
2. App St
3. UNI
4. UM
5. Cal Poly
6. Salukis
7. Furman
8. NDSU
9. Delaware
10. W&M

In the hunt, ,Texas State, JMU, YSU, the cowboy's of MSU, Costal Car. and Cal. Davis.

UD may be a playoff caliber team by November... but they aren't a Top 10 or Top 20 my preseason poll.

McNeese72
February 20th, 2006, 09:50 AM

We've, at McNeese, had that experience, too. There were a lot of McNeese fans who thought after we lost a lot of seniors in 2003 that we could just plug in some new players and keep on trucking. Didn't happen.

Same thing happened in 1996 after we lost a lot of seniors in 1995. We went 3-8 in 96 after going 13-1 in 95.

I think it will be a lot harder replacing those seniors, even if a lot of them were backups, then some of those Texas State fans think. But time will tell and maybe they will surprise us.

As far as McNeese, I don't want us any where close to being in any Top 25 polls. I want next season's team to know that they have to earn it.

TypicalTribe
February 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM

The "only big losses" were arguably the two best players on the team, so it remains to be seen how the team adjusts. Also, considering that ASU opens with NC State and JMU, it will quickly become obvious whether or not they deserve a lofty ranking.

Tribe4SF
February 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM
1. New Hamp.
2. App St
3. UNI
4. UM
5. Cal Poly
6. Salukis
7. Furman
8. NDSU
9. Delaware
10. W&M

Would that I could share your optimism regarding the Tribe! After a season of significant underachievement, my boys will not be in my preseason top 25. Lots of talent on the reservation, but too many question marks to deserve a ranking.

MYTAPPY
February 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM
The "only big losses" were arguably the two best players on the team, so it remains to be seen how the team adjusts. Also, considering that ASU opens with NC State and JMU, it will quickly become obvious whether or not they deserve a lofty ranking.

Yes Jason Hunter was our best defensive player and yes Richie Williams could run our offense amazingly. BUt, anyone remeber Marques Murrell who was a beast on the other side opposite Hunter? He is back. How many forced fumbles did he have last season? And then on offense you have the one and only Kevin Richardson who was running the ball up the gut the whole season. Yes, Hunter and Williams are major losses, but the supporting cast they had are returning. The drop-off will not be that drastic.

griz&beer
February 20th, 2006, 11:56 AM
UD may be a playoff caliber team by November... but they aren't a Top 10 or Top 20 my preseason poll.

So how would you fix it . Does it look good besides that and W&M?

Tribe4SF
February 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM
So how would you fix it . Does it look good besides that and W&M?

I'd put YSU, Illinois State and JMU in there.

youwouldno
February 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Yes Jason Hunter was our best defensive player and yes Richie Williams could run our offense amazingly. BUt, anyone remeber Marques Murrell who was a beast on the other side opposite Hunter? He is back. How many forced fumbles did he have last season? And then on offense you have the one and only Kevin Richardson who was running the ball up the gut the whole season. Yes, Hunter and Williams are major losses, but the supporting cast they had are returning. The drop-off will not be that drastic.

It's a thin line between very good and great. ASU was the latter last year, but could well be the former this year.

MYTAPPY
February 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM
It's a thin line between very good and great. ASU was the latter last year, but could well be the former this year.

Maybe......that is why they play the game.

NSUDemon98
February 21st, 2006, 09:10 AM

Oh yeah and what HPCat mean is its not TSU the acronym is TXST as in TeXas STate. Sometimes I think you guys cant even read.....

Did I use TSU? No, I used TSU-SM...gosh, sometimes I think you guys can't even read. Besides, I know it gets under your skin.

And why are you guys so concerned about whats on our board just because everyone elses in the SLC is dissmal. Just relax and let the teams play, and dont worry whats on our board, no one sure as hell worry's about whats on yours. xcoffeex

No one? You mean no one you know...I know several people who care...ya know?

Nah, probably not...xcoffeex

GrizFamily
February 21st, 2006, 02:47 PM

True, True, but the 'Nooga savings account has been established and has fundage in it. I'm going regardless actually just like last year but I have hope that we might be in it this year.

GrizFamily
February 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM
Here is my Pre-Season Top 10 Guesses:

1. Appalachian State – They won it last year and until someone knocks them off this year, they have a big bulls-eye on their back.
2. UNI – I watched the chipper last year and it could have easily gone the other way. Good strength of the team returns.
3. UNH – lost at home in the playoffs last year. Need to see some toughness in the playoffs before I can see them as #1.
4. Cal Poly – lost the Buchanan award winner the rest of the team returns. Beat us at home last year, so I gotta give them the props this year.
5. Montana – 1-A drop downs fill the holes we had last year. I like our chances to be in Nooga this year. I'd actually like to see us rated lower so we could sneak up on some teams, but after 13 straight seasons on the playoffs that doesn't really seem possible.
6. Furman – losses on offense, but defense improved late last year. I see a return to their previous glory.
7. YSU – Got woofed last year and will be very hungry this year.
8. JMU – Some disappointing losses in 05, but the RBs that mowed us down in 03 are back and the line should be good. Love another shot at the Dukes this year.
9. Illinois State/Eastern Illinois – My middle daughter was born in Illinois so I had to have one from the “Land of Lincoln”.
10. Weber State – My Big Sky wildcard program.

Other teams deserving of some respect in 06
Colgate – the game with UMass will set the bar for them. Should be the strength of the Patriot but will that be enough….
GSU - is always deserving of respect but to many questions to be highly regarded at this point.
Southland – not really sure who to pick here. McNeese was so tough for a long time, but has fallen off some lately. TxState was tough last year, but lost a lot of folks. SHS beat us at their place two years ago and had a good run in the play-offs till they had to come to WAGRIZ. I know someone will emerge as the leader here but not sure who at this point. I’m open to some feedback on this. Haven’t seen a lot of feedback on it so far.

My thoughts on the Big Sky in 06:
The dark-horse this year is going to be Weber State. They were much more competitive in the Sky last year and return most of the team. Ron McBride has them headed in the right direction. MSU and EWU lost the nucleus of their 05 teams (Lulay, Gatewood, Meyer, Kimble (thank goodness) etc…). Portland State was in the hunt till the end last year and could be good this year too. ISU got a nice QB drop down from Michigan.

CatFan22
February 21st, 2006, 03:17 PM
Dont get down on MSU just yet. We will have the best defense in the league this fall, mark my words. Good I-A transfers on Offense and a great O-Line will thrust MSU to the top of the league. Watch out.

GrizFamily
February 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM
Dont get down on MSU just yet. We will have the best defense in the league this fall, mark my words. Good I-A transfers on Offense and a great O-Line will thrust MSU to the top of the league. Watch out.

I didn't mean to seem like I was down on MSU, I just think you have some unanswered questions at this point. We all do. I try never to understimate the Cats. I think that has cost us a couple of times in the recent years. But with that said, I wouldn't trade positions with you. I like where the Griz are right now. I like our chances.

Good post CatBob, I always enjoy reading your Big Sky and I-AA analysis. I also enjoy getting after you once in while. I think that's how this works, right?

CatFan22
February 21st, 2006, 07:01 PM
I didn't mean to seem like I was down on MSU, I just think you have some unanswered questions at this point. We all do. I try never to understimate the Cats. I think that has cost us a couple of times in the recent years. But with that said, I wouldn't trade positions with you. I like where the Griz are right now. I like our chances.

Good post CatBob, I always enjoy reading your Big Sky and I-AA analysis. I also enjoy getting after you once in while. I think that's how this works, right?

I wasn't directing it sqaurely at you. I was responding to a lot of people. Some people even have the Cats second to last in the conference. That is a bit far-fetched IMO.

catbob
February 21st, 2006, 07:54 PM

Of course. ;)

And Catfan, sshh! I want us to sneak up on people, they won't know what hit em. :)

Tod
February 21st, 2006, 08:00 PM
I wasn't directing it sqaurely at you. I was responding to a lot of people. Some people even have the Cats second to last in the conference. That is a bit far-fetched IMO.

I think the 'Sky will be tough this year, like last year. I know Weber made great strides last year, but other than that I don't know squat about them. I've been told that ISU returns their entire starting offense, and I believe they have one of, if not the best I-A transfer QB in the country. I don't know how they are on D.

GOKATS
February 21st, 2006, 08:05 PM

Good post!

Right on with the 'D' prediction and 'O' line. A lot of questions in the BSC with skill players on 'O'. Spring ball should be very interesting.

GrizFamily
February 21st, 2006, 10:11 PM
I think the 'Sky will be tough this year, like last year. I know Weber made great strides last year, but other than that I don't know squat about them. I've been told that ISU returns their entire starting offense, and I believe they have one of, if not the best I-A transfer QB in the country. I don't know how they are on D.

Good point Tod. The sky will be very competitive next year just like the last 4 or 5. But even with that, I would not trade spots with anybody. FAGIDABOUTIT!!!

Bison77
February 22nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
Here is my Pre-Season Top 10 Guesses:

1. Appalachian State – They won it last year and until someone knocks them off this year, they have a big bulls-eye on their back.
2. UNI – I watched the chipper last year and it could have easily gone the other way. Good strength of the team returns.
3. UNH – lost at home in the playoffs last year. Need to see some toughness in the playoffs before I can see them as #1.
4. Cal Poly – lost the Buchanan award winner the rest of the team returns. Beat us at home last year, so I gotta give them the props this year.
5. Montana – 1-A drop downs fill the holes we had last year. I like our chances to be in Nooga this year. I'd actually like to see us rated lower so we could sneak up on some teams, but after 13 straight seasons on the playoffs that doesn't really seem possible.
6. Furman – losses on offense, but defense improved late last year. I see a return to their previous glory.
7. YSU – Got woofed last year and will be very hungry this year.
8. JMU – Some disappointing losses in 05, but the RBs that mowed us down in 03 are back and the line should be good. Love another shot at the Dukes this year.
9. Illinois State/Eastern Illinois – My middle daughter was born in Illinois so I had to have one from the “Land of Lincoln”.
10. Weber State – My Big Sky wildcard program.

Other teams deserving of some respect in 06
Colgate – the game with UMass will set the bar for them. Should be the strength of the Patriot but will that be enough….
GSU - is always deserving of respect but to many questions to be highly regarded at this point.
Southland – not really sure who to pick here. McNeese was so tough for a long time, but has fallen off some lately. TxState was tough last year, but lost a lot of folks. SHS beat us at their place two years ago and had a good run in the play-offs till they had to come to WAGRIZ. I know someone will emerge as the leader here but not sure who at this point. I’m open to some feedback on this. Haven’t seen a lot of feedback on it so far.

My thoughts on the Big Sky in 06:
The dark-horse this year is going to be Weber State. They were much more competitive in the Sky last year and return most of the team. Ron McBride has them headed in the right direction. MSU and EWU lost the nucleus of their 05 teams (Lulay, Gatewood, Meyer, Kimble (thank goodness) etc…). Portland State was in the hunt till the end last year and could be good this year too. ISU got a nice QB drop down from Michigan.

I don't know why Weber State is given such respect? When they came to Fargo last year they didn't look very good at all. 41-0 Maybe they just had a bad game. Time will tell!

TypicalTribe
February 22nd, 2006, 10:05 AM

The interesting question for anyone who votes either ASU or UNH #1 is what to do with the teams after they lose their I-A openers. Obviously, if they don't, they'll stay #1, but what kind of performance would it take to stay #1 with a loss?

bluehenbillk
February 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
I'd say if they wanna stay #1 they'd have to be competitive in the game. If they get beat by 21-plus they slide down in my book. If they play it close they probably stay, if they win, they're golden.

MYTAPPY
February 22nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
The interesting question for anyone who votes either ASU or UNH #1 is what to do with the teams after they lose their I-A openers. Obviously, if they don't, they'll stay #1, but what kind of performance would it take to stay #1 with a loss?

If they lost they would drop no matter the score. That is just the way it is. It wouldn't be a drastic drop though.

X-Factor
February 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
I don't know why Weber State is given such respect? When they came to Fargo last year they didn't look very good at all. 41-0 Maybe they just had a bad game. Time will tell!

I think it's because they had all the chances in the world to knock the Grizz off last year and blew it at the last minute. So heck, if they can almost beat the griz :D

GrizFamily
February 22nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
If they lost they would drop no matter the score. That is just the way it is. It wouldn't be a drastic drop though.

I disagree. I'm with Bluehenbill in this. If they stay close and are competitive I think they wont get hit hard if at all.

GrizFamily
February 22nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
I think it's because they had all the chances in the world to knock the Grizz off last year and blew it at the last minute. So heck, if they can almost beat the griz :D

I think you're confusing the UM/Weber game with the MSU/Weber game. MSU was behind by 19 points in the second half. We led most of the game (seesaw first quarter), but it was close all the way. Our defense had to stop two late drives by the Willdcats to preserve the win for us in WAGRIZ. We were surprised and impressed with the game they played. We took alot of ribbing by our instate bretheren, until they had to pull off the comeback the next week. Weber earned our respect last year.