PDA

View Full Version : NBC: Madden, Tollner, Bernie Casey recall 1960 Cal Poly Plane crash

poly51
October 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM
This Saturday will be the 50th anniversary of Cal Poly's fatal plane crash in Toledo...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28380636/

Bogus Megapardus
October 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I was unaware of that plane crash (though I knew, of course, that Madden played for Cal Poly). Thanks for posting this. What is done on campus to memorialize it?

cpalum
October 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I was unaware of that plane crash (though I knew, of course, that Madden played for Cal Poly). Thanks for posting this. What is done on campus to memorialize it?

There is a memorail at Spanos Stadium that recognizes the folks who were lost that day....Im guessing they may do somthing at the game this weekend as well

poly51
October 26th, 2010, 01:23 AM

cpalum is talking about the new Memorial Plaza at southwest corner of the stadium. That was added a few years ago when the west side of the stadium was rebuilt. There is also a stone memorial at the north end of the stadium that has been there since the 1960s. Before each game and before boarding the bus for away games the team files by and touches the rock.

slostang
October 26th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Click image for larger view.

There are 16 lighted copper pillars that have a marble plaque with a photo and bio of the 14 players, 1 team booster and 1 team manager on them. Each pillar is the hieght of that individual. The 16 pillars surrund a bronze statue of a wild Mustang. Also on the other side of the granite block that the statue Mustang is on is a large marble plaque with a picture of the 1960 team.

DG Cowboy
October 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Throw in Wichita State and Marshall, and consider all the football charters every week, and it is a wonder that these tragedies have not been more frequent. McNeese blew a tire on take-off to the Missouri game when the pilot hit a runway light.

Thoughts and prayers to Cal Poly this weekend.

slostang
October 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Throw in Wichita State and Marshall, and consider all the football charters every week, and it is a wonder that these tragedies have not been more frequent. McNeese blew a tire on take-off to the Missouri game when the pilot hit a runway light.

Thoughts and prayers to Cal Poly this weekend.

Thanks DG. Glad everything turned out ok for McNeese State players.

Bogus Megapardus
October 26th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Click image for larger view.

There are 16 lighted copper pillars that have a marble plaque with a photo and bio of the 14 players, 1 team booster and 1 team manager on them. Each pillar is the hieght of that individual. The 16 pillars surrund a bronze status of a wild Mustang.

That's a nice memorial.