PDA

View Full Version : Rutgers I-AA open date, candidates??

Pard4Life
February 8th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Local blurb in the paper said Delaware St. backed out of its agreement to play Rutgers on September 23.. wonder why.. :asswhip:

So anyhow, Rutgers has an open I-AA date, and their AD, Mulchay, even said "probably going to be filled by an I-AA team"

So who out there has an open week on the 23rd? It has usually been Villanova or New Hampshire playing Rutgers.

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 11:24 PM
JMU is supposed to play Northeastern that day. If that game could be moved then JMU could fill in for Delaware State!

PS. I know I am sounding desperate on these boards trying to figure out a possible opponent for JMU! I just want the drama to be over!

umassfan
February 9th, 2006, 12:06 AM
JMU is supposed to play Northeastern that day. If that game could be moved then JMU could fill in for Delaware State!

PS. I know I am sounding desperate on these boards trying to figure out a possible opponent for JMU! I just want the drama to be over!
I think you need a new AD if he cant get a simple fb schedule together. Its not that hard.

blur2005
February 9th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Normally I would have a retort for UmassFan...however, for the first time in recent history, he is 100% correct. Anyway, if JMU could somehow get this game, that would be great...since we'd have a chance to win against this I-A team.

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Call Princeton.

umassfan
February 9th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Normally I would have a retort for UmassFan...however, for the first time in recent history, he is 100% correct. Anyway, if JMU could somehow get this game, that would be great...since we'd have a chance to win against this I-A team.
I could have added the fact that he cant seem to fire that lame duck of a BBall coach you have too. :nod:

GannonFan
February 9th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I could have added the fact that he cant seem to fire that lame duck of a BBall coach you have too. :nod:

I thought Keener has only been there two years? Kinda early to cut someone loose considering how bad their program was when he got there? And how does a UMass guy criticize another school for holding onto a bad coach for too long? Steve Lappas rings a bell, and he certainly overstayed his welcome in Amherst.

umassfan
February 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM
I thought Keener has only been there two years? Kinda early to cut someone loose considering how bad their program was when he got there? And how does a UMass guy criticize another school for holding onto a bad coach for too long? Steve Lappas rings a bell, and he certainly overstayed his welcome in Amherst.
Yea but was Lappas ever 3-whatever their record is... I dont think Lappas was ever in the ESPN bottom 10. If Keener has only been there for 2 years(dont follow CAA basketball much) then I guess your AD knows how to pick them as well. Just adds more to my point.

HensRock
February 9th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Hey! Who you calling a lame-duck coach?

That Title belongs to the University of Delaware, thank you very much!

nmatsen
February 9th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Would Rutgers want to bring in New Hampshire? I would not do it if I were them, I don't believe that they are "high ranking" I-A team and could very easily fall to someone like New Hampshire, or JMU for that matter. Maybe they should call Princeton!

JMU Duke Dog
February 9th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Does Princeton have an opening that day or is it because of...

In 1869, Rutgers and Princeton played the first game of intercollegiate football in a New Brunswick field overlooking the Raritan. For the record, Rutgers came out victorious, by a score of 6 to 4.

http://ruweb.rutgers.edu/athletics/

JMU Duke Dog
February 9th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Would Rutgers want to bring in New Hampshire? I would not do it if I were them, I don't believe that they are "high ranking" I-A team and could very easily fall to someone like New Hampshire, or JMU for that matter. Maybe they should call Princeton!

I would love to see JMU get a chance to play at Rutgers; however, we would need to switch the date of our home game with Northeastern (which is believed to be 9/23) for it to happen.

Ivytalk
February 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Does Princeton have an opening that day or is it because of...

http://ruweb.rutgers.edu/athletics/

Nope. Princeton plays Lafayette that day.

GannonFan
February 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Yea but was Lappas ever 3-whatever their record is... I dont think Lappas was ever in the ESPN bottom 10. If Keener has only been there for 2 years(dont follow CAA basketball much) then I guess your AD knows how to pick them as well. Just adds more to my point.

Man, someone is actually defending the coaching of Steve Lappas - I never thought I'd see the day! :lmao:

coop
February 9th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Rutgers doesn't want to play New Hampshire again. They still remember Ricky Santos's 1st Start (30/40 350+ Yds. 5 Td's) UNH 35-24, 2004. BTW Rutgers beat Michigan State the week before.

umassfan
February 9th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Man, someone is actually defending the coaching of Steve Lappas - I never thought I'd see the day! :lmao:
When you are talking about two people and Lappas did better then the other... i guess you could call it defending... you wont see me do it any other time.

ngineer
February 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Can I-AA schools play 12 games this year? I know there was some discussion about this awhile back, but can't remember the final upshot. Most schools are already locked in to existing schedules., so dropping someone to add Rutgers would be tough. Adding to an existing schedule would be another thing.

Pard4Life
February 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Nope. Princeton plays Lafayette that day.

Yup, why take a probable loss at Rutgers when they can get a probable win vs. Lafayette?

ngineer
February 9th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I'd love to see Lehigh play Rutgers, again. We had a very good rivalry going until the late 1970's when they dropped us. Most games were close and we actually split the last 10 with them. RU also has an excellent stadium to watch a game. I was there twice for the NCAA Lacrosse Championships a few years back. Great facility.

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM

HAHA...I'd LOVE to see that. Chalk one up for I-AA.

UNH 42
Rutgers 28

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Go...gate
February 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I was kind of thinking that RU should give LC, LU or CU (we would have to reschedule somebody) a call about a game. We've all played the Scarlet Knights quite a few times and RU has a really nice ballpark.

ngineer
February 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Lehigh has an open date on the 23rd, but that would require breaking contract with someone else--and they're not going to give up a home game this year with having only had 5 last year with the Monsoon. Would like to see it though.

February 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Can I-AA schools play 12 games this year?...There is some speculation that the NCAA will announce they will allow it but right now the rule stands at eleven.

IaaScribe
February 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM
The fishwrap up there was wrong in reporting that Delaware State was the opponent. It was actually Liberty, and the Flames opted out once Danny Rocco realized he'd have to play Towson, Rutgers, Wake Forest and William & Mary in consecutive games.

I can confirm that Liberty has pulled out of the game and is still looking for a I-AA game to fill that slot.

RadMann
February 9th, 2006, 08:13 PM
According to my count UD has played Rutgers 31 times, but the series ended in the 1970's. These two teams really should play due to the proximity, but the I-A vs. I-AA "thing" makes it unlikely we will ever see it happen.

ngineer
February 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM
According to my count UD has played Rutgers 31 times, but the series ended in the 1970's. These two teams really should play due to the proximity, but the I-A vs. I-AA "thing" makes it unlikely we will ever see it happen.

Yeah, Rutgers dropped UD about the same time they dropped Lehigh due to their 'big time' experiment that has failed for the past 30 years.