PDA

View Full Version : Warren, Russell Added to Payton, Buchanan Lists

smallcollegefbfan
October 25th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Warren joins Payton Watch List; Russell a Buchanan nominee

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The dominance of Grambling State senior running back Frank Warren has earned him a spot on the Walter Payton Award Watch List, while Georgia Southern sophomore Brent Russell's disruptive play as a nose tackle has moved him onto the Buck Buchanan Award Watch List.

Each award, presented by The Sports Network and sponsored by Fathead.com, features a stellar 20-player Watch List that will be pared to winners of the Football Championship Subdivision's top individual honors. The Payton Award is bestowed on the outstanding player in the FCS and the Buchanan Award goes to the outstanding defensive player in the FCS.

The award winners will be announced at the national awards banquet on Thursday, Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas - the night before the national championship game.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4351118

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Wonder what TSPN thinks of this...

It's been almost an hour since this news became available and the birds are chirping over there.

mikebigg
October 25th, 2010, 11:35 AM

It's been almost an hour since this news became available and the birds are chirping over there.

I don't chirp...But I think it's good news!

WoCoTerrier
October 25th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Could someone explain why neither Eric Breitenstein or Ameet Pall were not even considered for these lists?

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2010, 08:27 AM

That's fine.... and I don't chirp.

smallcollegefbfan
October 26th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Could someone explain why neither Eric Breitenstein or Ameet Pall were not even considered for these lists?

Not sure why but I have both on my lists. Pall would likely be the SoCon DEF POY at this point. I fully expect him to be on the list if he keeps this up. You should ask Haley why he didn't add him this time.

cmaxwellgsu
October 26th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Good to see Brent Russell get the well deserved recognition. Bottom line is the guy faces a double team on every play, and still puts up unbelievable stats for a nose guard.

mikebigg
October 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM
That kid Russell has nice numbers... that's a lot of solo tackles for only a 7 game season. No knock on Georgia Southern but did he get overlooked coming out of high school because of his size? He must have been a good player from Day 1 because it stated that he was a day 1 starter against Georgia as a true freshman last year. 4.5 sacks for a DT means he's disrupting someone's passing game. If he doesn't get it this year...he's making a name for himself and will be a frontrunner in years to come.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
That kid Russell has nice numbers... that's a lot of solo tackles for only a 7 game season. No knock on Georgia Southern but did he get overlooked coming out of high school because of his size? He must have been a good player from Day 1 because it stated that he was a day 1 starter against Georgia as a true freshman last year. 4.5 sacks for a DT means he's disrupting someone's passing game. If he doesn't get it this year...he's making a name for himself and will be a frontrunner in years to come.

Yeah, he started against UGA in 2008 and he had a season-ending injury in the game and sat out for all of 2008. Then last year he got the national freshman of the year for the FCS. I don't know why he didn't end up at major school but I know he is already one of the best defensive linemen in the FCS. What someone said above about him being constantly double-teamed is correct. The guy is a hand full on the DL, or rather four handfulls.

knf
October 27th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Trumaine Johnson is gonna take the Buchanan. Tell me I'm wrong.

profisme
October 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Trumaine Johnson is gonna take the Buchanan. Tell me I'm wrong.

If the same people who will be voting on the Buchanan are the people who have justified still having Reynolds on the Payton Finalist List, then Johnson will no doubt win in a landslide. Tell me that Reynolds belongs on there still.

knf
October 27th, 2010, 01:10 PM
If the same people who will be voting on the Buchanan are the people who have justified still having Reynolds on the Payton Finalist List, then Johnson will no doubt win in a landslide. Tell me that Reynolds belongs on there still.

Without question Reynolds is not putting up numbers close to what he had last year which is unfortunate for the all time scoring leader at that school. I feel like he's getting credit for past performance and not so much week in week out results on the field. I'd have to point out in johnsons case that as a corner with the numbers he has put up thus far I'd be pretty surprised if they voted today and he didn't take it.

Woof
October 27th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Not sure why but I have both on my lists. Pall would likely be the SoCon DEF POY at this point. I fully expect him to be on the list if he keeps this up. You should ask Haley why he didn't add him this time.

Pall's numbers are better than the Ga. Southern NG's and Breitenstein's are better than Samford's RB. Both lead the SoCon in their respective stats, and play for a top 10 team, but now stand no chance of getting on the list? Insanity

http://campuscommuter.blogs.goupstate.com/13192/terriers-already-ruled-out-for-awards/

Makes no sense whatsoever!

xbangxxbangxxbangxxthumbsdownxxnonono2xrulesxxeyeb rowx:(xchinscratchxxnutsxxpissedxxxnonoxxflamemadx xpissedxxflaggedxxdohxxshakingmadx

Baldy
October 27th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Pall's numbers are better than the Ga. Southern NG's and Breitenstein's are better than Samford's RB. Both lead the SoCon in their respective stats, and play for a top 10 team, but now stand no chance of getting on the list? Insanity

http://campuscommuter.blogs.goupstate.com/13192/terriers-already-ruled-out-for-awards/

Makes no sense whatsoever!

xbangxxbangxxbangxxthumbsdownxxnonono2xrulesxxeyeb rowx:(xchinscratchxxnutsxxpissedxxxnonoxxflamemadx xpissedxxflaggedxxdohxxshakingmadx
Todd needs a tissue. xlolx
Trying to compare a NG to a DE? xconfusedx

Woof
October 27th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Todd needs a tissue. xlolx

...or the voters need a clue! by the way, you should read Todd's blog about the whiny GSU radio guy...now there's someone who needs a hug!xlmaox

sav eagle34
October 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
...or the voters need a clue! by the way, you should read Todd's blog about the whiny GSU radio guy...now there's someone who needs a hug!xlmaox

Ouch. Didn't even realize that had happened, or that he was a UGA grad either xbawlingx

Baldy
October 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Those remarks weren't whiny at all, but you won't see me defend what our quasi-professional radio crew said, either.

Nice attempt at trying to deflect the conversation, though. xthumbsupx
Russell will be an All-American this year, will Pall? xwhistlex

mikebigg
October 28th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Too bad most of yall won't get a chance to see Frank Warren... he's really a special player. People question the competition level, but one thing that needs to be considered is how well the other backs in the conference are doing against the same competition. Warren's 1142 yards almost equals the combined total of the two nearest rushers in the conference.

Frank Warren (GSU) 158 carries 1142 yds
Donald Babers (PVU) 163 carries 644 yds
Marcus Wright (TxSU) 120 carries 550 yds

Woof
October 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Russell will be an All-American this year, will Pall? xwhistlex

Only if they change the current criteria and decide to base it on what the players have actually accomplished.xwhistlex

Not saying Russell is not worthy, just saying any list without Breitenstein and Pall is no list at all.