PDA

View Full Version : William and Mary at North Carolina Game Thread

bonarae
October 25th, 2010, 08:37 AM
W&M will try to add this game to the small list of FCS teams beating FBS teams this season. UNC had its 4-game winning streak snapped by Miami (FL). W&M is a very tough team to beat in the FCS (though it has lost to UMass, who lost to Michigan two weeks after their game.) UNC's season has been tainted by all those scandals involving its players and also they lost their first two games, while W&M hasn't had any of its players ever suspended this year (correct me if I'm wrong.)

My Prediction: This might be close, given UNC's holes on defense left by the scandals. W&M may capitalize on these, but UNC's offense may surprise the W&M defense. W&M by less than 3.

biggie
October 25th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Wouldn't mind WM winning, but don't see it happening, even with all the losses, Carolina is a decent team, coming off a loss vs Miami will probably make them angry. Carolina by 2 TDs.

wml33t
October 25th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Unfortunately, it seems that UNC has righted the ship quite a bit. I think if we had gotten UNC early in the season when they were having to adjust for the players missing, it might have been better - but at the same time we've hit our stride as well.

I think if we can keep the scoring low, W&M has a chance. If the scores get into the high 20's+, then I'm not real comfortable.

SpeedkingATL
October 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Come on Bill & Mary, you can do this. Beat the Tarholes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Tribe!!!!xnodx

ericsaid
October 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I was at the East Carolina and UNC game this past September. Carolina has the athletes they didn't have before to step up and make it big. They are going to throw the ball a lot to wear out your DB's and pass rush in the early going. Then they'll pound the ball with their two great runningbacks in the second half. It's inevitable that your guys will be worn down. ECU took control of the game against UNC for the entire first half. Then out came the long grinding drives subbing in two runningbacks who will be in the NFL produce. UNC by 21+.

Please win though. The money the UNC players get for being a semi-pro should give them a little extra motivation though:).

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I'll be a big Tribe fan this Saturday.... beat UNCxsmileyclapx

bonarae
October 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
It has been a few days, no one has really noticed this game. xchinscratchx

It will be a miracle if W&M can pull an upset, after all. I was wrong when I first posted this. xpeacex

aust42
October 29th, 2010, 10:05 AM
The CAA is 3-2 vs the ACC the past two seasons (including this year). I'd love to see a W&M victory and keep our winning record in tact.. The last time they played was in 2004 when North Carolina won 49-38. From what I've read NC's secondary is decimated with injuries and only has three scholarship players left back there and one is a true freshman. W&M should keep this game close. I'm predicting a W&M victory 31-27.

Interesting fact: W&M's defensive coordinator and North Carolina's offensive coordinators are brothers.

Mikeyosef
October 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Even though UNC was supposed to be very good this year, before the scandal, and even though they are still very good, I think W&M has a reasonable chance of knocking the Tarheels off. W&M has a good team which I think will matchup fairly well against the Tarheels. I also think the the Tarheels as a team will not allow themselves to take any FCS team seriously; no mater how much the UNC coaching staff tries to get them to. It's just the nature of that school. UNC has some amazing talent and they should be able to win this one but I hope the Tribe gives them the beat down!!! I'll be keeping my eye on the score of that game. Go Tribe! GO APP!!!!!!!!

NovaHater
October 29th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Tribe QB, or should I say one of their QB's is a North Carolina transfer.

Interested to see if Paulus starts this week after being pulled in the UD game or if they go with Callahan.

Game is on ESPN3.com

LeadBolt
October 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I like the fact that this game is not high on the buzz meter, it would lessen the chance of an upset if it was high on buzz, imo. Massey gives us a 6% chance of winning, so yes it is very unlikely, but possible...

That being said, it is not as important a game for W&M as the three following weeks. I believe the Coaching staff will play to win, but not take unnecessary chances.

Starting QB will be interesting. Callahan is still gimpy, although he turned the tide against Del. Paulus has an ax to grind with UNC. My inclination would be to rest Callahan and give the shoulder more time to heal, unless he could come in and make a difference like last week. Laycocke, at first announced Callahan as the starter, but since has waffled. I don't know if I want a gimpy QB we need later meeting Mr. Carter @ full speed.

UNC is getting several hurt/suspended players back, hopefully they will be rusty. If the pass protection holds up for W&M, I believe they can go deep on UNC. Who knows, a couple of deep balls and forcing timely turnovers might be enough.

WMTribe90
October 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
The CAA is 3-2 vs the ACC the past two seasons (including this year). I'd love to see a W&M victory and keep our winning record in tact.. The last time they played was in 2004 when North Carolina won 49-38. From what I've read NC's secondary is decimated with injuries and only has three scholarship players left back there and one is a true freshman. W&M should keep this game close. I'm predicting a W&M victory 31-27.

Interesting fact: W&M's defensive coordinator and North Carolina's offensive coordinators are brothers.

Their secondary is on the mend this week. They get a starter back from NCAA suspension and one or two others are liekly back from injury. WM has a slim chance for an upset here, but my head says UNC by 17.

VBR_Productions
October 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Saturday we are Tribe fans. UNC may be too tough but what if Grimes just goes off and has a great day? Here's pulling for the CAA's second win over the ACC this season.

tribefan40
October 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I say start Paulus and throw the deep ball. I would think there would be a chip on his shoulder and even on the mend, their defensive backfield seems to be the weakness. I'm sure they'll get a steady dose of Grimes and Marriner, but let's hit Moody on some deep routes!

Tear 'em up Tribe!

Tribe4SF
October 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the support. This game is just a thorn in our side at this point in the season, but I know our kids and coaches will go at it. Whatever happens, I really just want to see us get better.

GO FCS!!!

R3TRO
October 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM
W&M looks good so far. Tough to miss that FG and lose your starting qb early.

R3TRO
October 30th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Wow, who was Yates throwing to? Apparently right to the W&M defender. Good chance here.

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 03:00 PM
W&M left 4 points on the board... 23 yard FG and a PAT, ugh. 6-0

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 03:06 PM
6-0 W&M at the end of the first. UNC driving

VUCats02
October 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Other than special teams W&M looking sharp. Their defense may be the best in the FCS. In my opinion, they should stick with Paulus no matter what for the rest of the season if he's healthy.

bullseye44
October 30th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Other than special teams W&M looking sharp. Their defense may be the best in the FCS. In my opinion, they should stick with Paulus no matter what for the rest of the season if he's healthy.

If Paulus had Callahan's leadership ability, it would be a no brainer, but the team really gels around Callahan so much more. Then again, if Paulus had that he'd probably be starting this game for UNC :)

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
7-6, UNC. 6+ minute drive. 5:30 left Q2... those 4 points W&M didn't get could be costly.

UNHFan
October 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
LETS GO TRIBE!!!!!

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
btw, Tribe starting QB Callahan was knocked out early after going 2 for 3. RB Grimes might be injured as well.

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 03:43 PM
W&M drives 12 plays, 83 yards, 5 minutes. QB Paulus is 12 for 13. TD, Tribe went for 2 and got it, but the play is under review.

~20 seconds left in Q2

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
W&M - 17
UNC - 7

halftime

UNC muffed the kickoff, Tribe recovered, then UNC roughed the passer. Kuhn redeemed himself somewhat.

UNHFan
October 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Come on Tribe!! Ill hate you all next week... but right now I am a huuuuge FAN!!!

R3TRO
October 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
This is an impressive game by W&M. Keep it up.

bullseye44
October 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Hopefully the Tar Heels ease up on the dirty hits in the second half. Would like to have some players left for the rest of the year.

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hopefully the Tar Heels ease up on the dirty hits in the second half. Would like to have some players left for the rest of the year.

the late hit on Paulus was like 4 steps too late... ridiculous.

will be Tribe ball to start the 2nd half.

Bogus Megapardus
October 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Go Tribe - anywhere other than ESPN3 to see this game?

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
W&M goes 3 and out, bummer

no sign of RB Grimes

UNHFan
October 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
the late hit on Paulus was like 4 steps too late... ridiculous.

will be Tribe ball to start the 2nd half.

Amen That was horrible!! Worst I have seen all year

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
UNC driving to the Tribe 25

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
UNC missed a 37 yard FG

Grimes will not be back.

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM
still 17-7, end of 3Q

UNHFan
October 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM
UNHFans check in! Rooting for the Tribe? UNHFan (Hampstead) here... next?

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM
TD Carolina

17-14, 8:30 left in the game

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 05:04 PM
all momentum going to Carolina

W&M 3 and out

bullseye44
October 30th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Starting QB, RB, and TE all hurt. One of two backup RBs injured as well. Hopefully we have enough bodies to field a team at UNH next week

bullseye44
October 30th, 2010, 05:07 PM
D looks exhausted. Need a turnover.

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM
UNC busts a big play, 67 yard TD run.

21-17, UNC ahead, 5:30 left.

W&M defense is dead tired. Been on the field practically the entire 2nd half.

smcwildcat
October 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
what happened to grimes?

R3TRO
October 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM
They said it was a head injury... ^

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM
UNC with a huge sack to put W&M in 4th and 17. UNC ball at midfield, 2:45 left, Tribe with only 1 timeout...

Tribe showed well today. Gotta heal up and get ready for some big CAA games in November.

UNHFan
October 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM
HORRIBLE CALL!!!! Punt!!!!! and stop them.... you have a chance WHY WHY WHY!!!! go forit

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
HORRIBLE CALL!!!! Punt!!!!! and stop them.... you have a chance WHY WHY WHY!!!! go forit

they've been running all over us in the 2nd half. Punting still might've been the right choice... the sack before that really hurt. Would've been 4th and 6 if he threw it away.

UNHFan
October 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
HORRIBLE!!!!! OMG why did they do that!!!

UNHFan
October 30th, 2010, 05:27 PM
they've been running all over us in the 2nd half. Punting still might've been the right choice... the sack before that really hurt. Would've been 4th and 6 if he threw it away.

A Child you must be!!! HORRIBLE!! HORRIBLE CALL!!!

R3TRO
October 30th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Tough loss but a great showing. W&M was definitely worn out by the end of the game.

bullseye44
October 30th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Well, it's good to be a UNH fan next week - we may not be able to field an offense: 2 RBs, 2 QBs, and a TE didn't finish the game. Here's to hoping everyone is healthy next week - good showing overall...could've had 'em.

soccerguy315
October 30th, 2010, 05:32 PM
A Child you must be!!! HORRIBLE!! HORRIBLE CALL!!!

maybe... if we punted it, it's possible we never would've got the ball back.

tribefan40
October 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
maybe... if we punted it, it's possible we never would've got the ball back.

+1

Hate to say it, but I don't think either way would have made a difference. W&M dominated the first three, gave it up in the 4th just like 2004. Hope the impressive showing won't be overshadowed by the injuries, I'm hoping there was a lot of cautionary hold-outs in the 2nd half. If all those injuries are legit, the end of the season is gonna be tough.

Oldhen
October 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Kudos, Tribe... rematch in Newark?

tribefan40
October 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Kudos, Tribe... rematch in Newark?

hows about we meet up in Frisco instead. xthumbsupx

Oldhen
October 30th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hows about we meet up in Frisco instead.

Cool beans!