PDA

View Full Version : Does a 10-1 Jacksonville get the at-large?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2010, 09:05 AM
http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2010-10-24/story/ju-dolphins-could-be-first-team-league-reach

With its 56-14 victory over Marist on Saturday, JU improved to 7-1 overall, 5-0 in PFL play. The Dolphins' three remaining games are against teams with a combined 8-14 record. Winning out will likely leave coach Kerwin Bell's team on the postseason bubble.

One of the obstacles JU must overcome: No PFL team has ever been selected for the playoffs. Several were in consideration in recent years, but didn't make the cut. San Diego finished the regular season 10-1 in both 2005 and 2006 but was passed over. Same for a 10-1 Butler team a year ago, which suffered its only loss to JU.

"If they're [JU] 10-1, I think they get in, but I don't think it's a definite," said Craig Healey [sic] , who's with The Sports Network and serves as administrator of the Sports Network/Fathead.com poll which has around 150 voters who rank teams and is one of the criteria the NCAA Division 1 Football Committee uses in selecting the 20-team playoff field. "Jacksonville will likely be 10-1, but will that be good enough to overcome an 8-3, scholarship team from one of the other major conferences?"

It's a worthwhile question. At 10-1, do they make the expanded playoffs?

Cocky
October 24th, 2010, 09:07 AM
And the 1 is App, it could be hard to keep them out.

JMUNJ08
October 24th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I say no now but its kind of like Boise. If others keep losing and they keep winning, anything is possible right? They have been in my poll for weeks but the PFL as a full conference is not playoff worthy so can only throw there name in the hat right now...

Edge316007
October 24th, 2010, 09:18 AM
If they have a season like this and still don't get in, why even play in this division? Isn't the whole point of this level to give teams who string together wins like this the shot, even if they're from "lesser" conferences?

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Jacksonville U is currently in the 30's of the GPI. They need jump between 15-18 teams in order to be in the top 16 of the GPI at the end of the regular season. It's a tough task but not impossible. They first need to be rising in the TSN & Coaches Poll first before they rise in the GPI.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2010, 09:20 AM
They have beaten nobody and were completely outclassed by the one good team they did play. Sorry no playoffs, you gotta beat somebody at some point. Every team in the MVFC would be 10-1 with their schedule.

This isn't even comparable to Boise, most teams in the WAC actually try to compete not so much in the Pioneer League.

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Jacksonville has beaten no one...

Some of the MEAC teams that could be in the mix that people are 'dogging' on these boards will get in over Jacksonville. What the Dolphins need is for more and more losses by teams that are in the equation - particularly those in the CAA and Big Sky, while hoping the SLC is limited to SFA (if SHSU, UCA can not win out).

Saint3333
October 24th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I say no now but its kind of like Boise. If others keep losing and they keep winning, anything is possible right? They have been in my poll for weeks but the PFL as a full conference is not playoff worthy so can only throw there name in the hat right now...

Not really the difference is Boise scheduled two teams from power conferences and beat them. We went over this last week, are we going to have to do this every week until they aren't selected for the playoffs?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM
9-2 SCSU or 10-1 Jacksonville. That's an awful tough decision. And what if SCSU is 8-3?

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2010, 09:33 AM
9-2 SCSU or 10-1 Jacksonville. That's an awful tough decision. And what if SCSU is 8-3?

Easy. South Carolina State. They at the very least split with Hampton and Bethune-Cookman.

An 8-3 Hampton team with losses to both So Carolina St and Bethune Cookman could be the problem causer. Guess we'll have to see if Hampton can beat Old Dominion first. That's a game that Jacksonville fans may want to circle...

udchuck
October 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Not really the difference is Boise scheduled two teams from power conferences and beat them. We went over this last week, are we going to have to do this every week until they aren't selected for the playoffs?

This is a discussion thread isn't it?? we do discuss things --No??

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I don't see Hampton beating ODU on saturday. The Pirates offense is very inept right now.

Saint3333
October 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM
This is a discussion thread isn't it?? we do discuss things --No??

Obviously it is, but why beat the same horse each week. JU isn't going to lose another game and they will not be in the playoffs due to their SOS. You guys are welcome to discuss it, but does anyone really believe they are one of the best 20 teams in the nation? I assume not according to the polls.

Mntneer
October 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM
If they have a season like this and still don't get in, why even play in this division? Isn't the whole point of this level to give teams who string together wins like this the shot, even if they're from "lesser" conferences?

They play in this division because they have to if they want to remain D1 in other sports (cough *basketball*). In a conference that's as week top to bottom as the PFL, teams need to schedule their way into the post season. JU hasn't done that.

ThompsonThe
October 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM
What SOS? That didn't make us one of the top four the year we beat Michigan. Doesn't seem that they really use SOS that much.
Also, people say they have beat no one. But they have not lost to anyone except App State also. Didn't they beat ODU? Doesn't the CAA fans go on and on about how great ODU is? Would depend on who else you have to choose from, but believe they would deserve a chance.

JMUNJ08
October 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Obviously it is, but why beat the same horse each week. JU isn't going to lose another game and they will not be in the playoffs due to their SOS. You guys are welcome to discuss it, but does anyone really believe they are one of the best 20 teams in the nation? I assume not according to the polls.

Then please do not comment on threads like this while we enjoy having this discussion. Its a long shot but a 7-4 team or a 10-1 team is worthy of at least some meaningful opinions. I think 6/7 CAA teams should be in the playoffs as they are really in the top 20 in the country but that shouldn't happen. It's either that or 3 MEAC teams? Now there is another long shot but may be possible with the way things are shaking out...

Skjellyfetti
October 24th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure if it matters really... or if the playoff committee would even take it into consideration at all...

But I just figured I would point out that Jacksonville actually played us pretty close for 3 quarters. We really pulled away at the end. I've heard people say we "outclassed" them... and, I don't think that's completely true.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302542026

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Easy. South Carolina State. They at the very least split with Hampton and Bethune-Cookman.

An 8-3 Hampton team with losses to both So Carolina St and Bethune Cookman could be the problem causer. Guess we'll have to see if Hampton can beat Old Dominion first. That's a game that Jacksonville fans may want to circle...

Get over the MEAC. It's LOWER RANKED than the Pioneer League. There is absolutely no way a second place team in the MEAC gets in fairly. It would be based on history and past years performances and $$$ if SCSU got in over a team that actually beat someone. If it comes down to 7-4 NDSU with an FBS win and SCSU with NO wins and SCSU gets in, that will be more corrupt than the whole BCS system.

If NAU, MSU, Furman, GA Southern, WIU, NDSU, SDSU, and SEMO are all out, then put in a PFL team before you put in a MEAC team. It's a better conference this year. The MEAC is horrible, and they play no one OOC so we really have no idea how good they are. At least the Pioneer plays playoff teams other than it's own crappy conference schedule. (App State, NEC Teams, etc.)

I don't think a PFL team should get in, but if there are serious thoughts about putting in a second MEAC team over a PFL team, then this system is all wrong.

JUDolphins
October 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
What's the difference between a PFL champ and NEC champ? The NEC has an auto bid, but a 10-1 JU team with only a loss at #1 ASU is tough to argue against - especially with the way JU played in that loss.

Go look at the box score...go look at the play-by-play. JU played to win the game - and in doing so, left it's defense on the field too long in the second half.

Is JU one of the top 20 teams in the country? I would say yes. They can play with anyone in the MEAC, NEC, OVC and Patriot - which is who the first round opponent would be more than likely.

The Times-Union here did a story on JU's possibility of breaking into the expanded playoffs this morning after another dominating performance...

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2010-10-24/story/ju-dolphins-could-be-first-team-league-reach

SO ILLmatic
October 24th, 2010, 11:51 AM
If San Diego could not get in a few years back, then I find it hard for the Dolphins to get an at-large

JUDolphins
October 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM
That San Diego team was trying to get into a 16-team field with 8 at-large bids. With two extra bids available this year, I think it's much more possible and plausible for JU to get in the tournament.

SO ILLmatic
October 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I think the two extra bids would resemble what the selection committee does with the NCAA basketball tournament. They are not looking at mid-major or small conferences to get the extra at-larges, but more-so looking at high major schools that may have history and/or a mediocre season.

UNH Fanboi
October 24th, 2010, 12:07 PM
It's possible, but they don't control their own destiny. They need ALL of the bubble teams in the SoConn, CAA, MVFC and Big Sky to choke. I don't think it's posible for them to top 7+ win CAA and Big Sky teams in the GPI. The SoCon and MVFC will be closer, but I still don't think their SOS will be enough.

JUDolphins
October 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I wont' deny that. But, the Big Sky is only getting 3 - Montana, MSU and EWU. CAA is going to get 3 - W&M/Delaware/UNH/JMU/UMass - 1 to 2 of those are going to be left out. SoCon is only getting 3 - ASU, Wofford and Chatty. MEAC is only getting one team - S.C. State or BCU.

You can't tell me that SEMO is that much better than JU? The OVC is awful except for JSU.

I think the best matchup for the committee would be JU at BCU in the first round.

One other thing - JU features the nation's highest-scoring offense as well as the most productive in yards per game. And it's not just throwing it either - they are ranked 5th in passing and 18th in rushing.

The defense, while is has given up a lot of yards, is also capable of making big plays - that's why JU is second in the country in turnover margin.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2010, 12:44 PM
SEMO beat SIU. Who has JU beaten? That is what I thought.

This is like San Diego all over again.

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Ok, I'll throw this out hypothetical...

Say...

Jacksonville goes 10-1. Their only loss is to #1 ASU (by 35 points)

Chattanooga goes 7-4. Their losses are to #1 ASU (by 1 point), #3 JSU, top 15 Wofford and #4 Auburn
(with wins over then ranked GSU and Furman).

JU has the gaudy record, but Chattanooga played 6 ranked teams, still managed 7 wins and literally fought to the last minute with two of the top 5 teams in the country (whereas JU's only chance to make a statement against a ranked team ended up with a 35 point loss)

Which team does the committee take?

(I am not trying to get in to an argument with JU fans, I legitimately want to hear the opinions of others on the board...I thought the UC/UC scenario fit well because Chattanooga could end up 7-4 and they have a ranked team in common to compare with JU)

JUDolphins
October 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
JU beat ODU - who at least has a winning record.

That vaunted SIU juggernaut is 3-4.

Is it San Diego again? I think so. I saw those teams and they had 3 guys that made it to NFL camps and 2 that I know that are still in the league. JU is dominating teams in the PFL right now like they did.

I think Chattanooga is fine after beating Furman. I don't see the SoCon getting four teams unless Furman/Ga. Southern beat ASU.

I think the question is the 4th or 5th team out of the CAA vs. 9-2 S.C. State vs. 10-1 Jacksonville?

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I know JUDolphins will make his defense, which is perfectly fine.

But, I would like to hear the opinions of those that are not Chattanooga or Jacksonville fans.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Is it San Diego again? I think so. I saw those teams and they had 3 guys that made it to NFL camps and 2 that I know that are still in the league. JU is dominating teams in the PFL right now like they did.

ODU is in transition. SIU is full flegded FCS team that has been to the playoffs routinely and SEMO went into their house and beat them. Like I said what has JU done? Nothing.

San Deigo another team that beat nobody and demanded respect. A nice role model for you JU guys.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM

But, I would like to hear the opinions of those that are not Chattanooga or Jacksonville fans.

Chattanooga of course. Not only do you play in the tough SoCon but you scheduled very agressively in non-conference. Plus you have some quality wins.

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2010, 01:01 PM

If all you look at is records, you miss everything. ODU has a winning record thanks to beating GSU, Monmouth, Campbell, and G-W. SIU is a much better team, even in an off year.

And USD never beat anyone. Just like JU. Look back at those schedules for USD, you'll see nothing but fluff wins. Same with JU. You've done nothing, and you have no opportunity to do anything the rest of this season. Your one chance against ASU and you fell apart completely. Maybe next year, if you decide to play someone.

JUDolphins
October 24th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Granted this is my opinion, but here's who I think is in right now...

Big Sky (3) - Montana, MSU, EWU
Big South (1) - Liberty
CAA (4) - W&M, Delaware, Nova, UNH
MEAC (1) - Bethune
MVFC (1) - No. Iowa
NEC (1) - RMU
OVC (2) - JSU, SEMO
Patriot (1) - Lehigh
Southland (1) - SFA
SoCon (3) - ASU, Wofford, Chattanooga

That's 18 teams that look solid to make the playoffs (the CAA four could change).

So, who's up for those final 2 spots?
Big Sky
- Weber State (4-3, 3-2)
- No. Arizona (4-3, 2-2)

CAA
-UMass/Richmond (4-3, 2-2)

MEAC
-S.C. State (5-2, 3-1)

MVFC
- W. Illinois (5-3, 3-2)

PFL
- JU/Dayton (7-1, 5-0)

Southland
- SH State (4-3, 2-1)

SoCon
- Furman/Ga. Southern (4-3, 2-2)

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM
And the PFL teams are last on that list, tied with SC State. NAU and GSU would be the best among those, with SHSU and WIU next. and you forgot NDSU and SDSU, both with better profiles should they reach 7 DI wins.

heath
October 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I think the PC decision is to put a 10-1 team in. They are rewarded for playing and beating who was on their schedule. Still doesn't make them one of the 20 best,but neither are a few of the teams from the AQ leagues.

jacksfan29
October 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM

I think Chattanooga is fine after beating Furman. I don't see the SoCon getting four teams unless Furman/Ga. Southern beat ASU.

I think the question is the 4th or 5th team out of the CAA vs. 9-2 S.C. State vs. 10-1 Jacksonville?

That vaunted SIU juggernaut may be 3-4 but they did beat UNI and one loss is to an FBS.

Cocky
October 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM

I'll go with the Mocs but I have seen them play. I know how good Chattanooga is no matter what the record ends up being.

SO ILLmatic
October 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM

IMO, that San Diego team was a much better team than what this Jacksonville team is

DSUrocks07
October 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
IMO, that San Diego team was a much better team than what this Jacksonville team is

^^^ this

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Ok, I'll throw this out hypothetical...

Say...

Jacksonville goes 10-1. Their only loss is to #1 ASU (by 35 points)

Chattanooga goes 7-4. Their losses are to #1 ASU (by 1 point), #3 JSU, top 15 Wofford and #4 Auburn
(with wins over then ranked GSU and Furman).

JU has the gaudy record, but Chattanooga played 6 ranked teams, still managed 7 wins and literally fought to the last minute with two of the top 5 teams in the country (whereas JU's only chance to make a statement against a ranked team ended up with a 35 point loss)

Which team does the committee take?

(I am not trying to get in to an argument with JU fans, I legitimately want to hear the opinions of others on the board...I thought the UC/UC scenario fit well because Chattanooga could end up 7-4 and they have a ranked team in common to compare with JU)

another scenario...some think Georgia Southern can get in at 7-4(with a loss to App).....what if Georgia Southern gets blown out by App by the same margin or greater margin than Jacksonville? I would put Jacksonville over Georgia Southern in that case as unlikely as it is

DSUrocks07
October 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM
PFL teams aren't playing for the playoffs (Hence the existence of the Gridiron Classic). If they were, they wouldn't be in the PFL.

401ks
October 24th, 2010, 08:20 PM
PFL teams aren't playing for the playoffs (Hence the existence of the Gridiron Classic). If they were, they wouldn't be in the PFL.

Unfair and inaccurate statement. :p

The PFL has applied for an AQ. The PFL was not formed to avoid the playoffs.

Model Citizen
October 24th, 2010, 08:47 PM
According to the power ratings, the MEAC is the worst conference in FCS. They need to bow out of the playoffs.

When that happens, the PFL will take the vacant AQ. The MoValley commissionerette finally had to apply for a PFL bid.

In the meantime, the NCAA committee can pretend they haven't been jerks for 15 years, and give the PFL an at-large bid this year, in advance of awarding them an AQ spot.

Opportunities for face saving abound.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah the NCAA would have to give them an at-large, it most certainly wouldn't be earned...

BlueHenSinfonian
October 24th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah the NCAA would have to give them an at-large, it most certainly wouldn't be earned...

You can only do as well as you can with what you are given. If JU wins out they will have swept their conference, and that earns them a playoff spot IMO. JU even scheduled a rough OOC game with App State, so that has to count for something, even if they didn't win, they didn't embarrass themselves.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM
You can only do as well as you can with what you are given. If JU wins out they will have swept their conference, and that earns them a playoff spot IMO. JU even scheduled a rough OOC game with App State, so that has to count for something, even if they didn't win, they didn't embarrass themselves.

BS. They scheduled a non-DI game. If they are serious about the playoffs their entire non-conference schedule would be games against DI teams considering the garbage conference they play in. A ton of schools play in leagues a 100 times tougher than the PFL and schedule all DI teams.

Then you want to give them credit for actually scheduling one tough game? Do you even read what you write? Earn it, that is all I ask.

DetroitFlyer
October 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Why would a 10-1, (9-1 FCS), JU team get the bid over the Dayton Flyers with the same record? The argument that losing to App State is better than losing to Duquesne does not make sense to me.... Dayton's win over Robert Morris looks better at this point in the season the JU's win over ODU.... I think JU just has a better PR machine....

JUDolphins
October 24th, 2010, 09:34 PM
A few replies...
- The Gridiron Classic is D-E-A-D. The PFL champ either gets an at-large or they are done.
- As to the question about JU's schedule...this year's schedule was done two years in advance. The non-D1 game was a two-year deal signed to make sure JU had at least five home games for the 2009 and 2010 seasons. I've talked to our AD and he's trying to avoid this in coming years.
- As for not having earned it, how can a team that goes 10-1 not earn an at-large bid? Have you watched JU play this season? If not, then you know absolutely nothing about this team and you're basing your opinion on their only losing score - which was against the #1 team in the country.
- Dayton vs. JU is tough...but in my mind, JU has owned the PFL teams while Dayton has won a few squeakers. I can't imagine JU going into the fourth quarter trailing to Campbell.

Khan4Cats
October 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I voted no to Jacksonville, but it will be close if they are 10-1 and comparing to 7-4 from AQ conferences. I do think that between Jacksonville and Dayton both at 10-1, the edge goes to Dayton due to the Flyers win over potential AQ Robert Morris (who in turn own a win over another play-off contender in Liberty). Why doesn't the Pioneer play a full round-robin? Seems it would have been better for both Jacksonville and Dayton to have been able to take a bye week rather than the sub D-I's and play each other on Nov 20.

crusader11
October 24th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I conducted a very similar pole last year asking the same question with regard to Holy Cross and Colgate. I am bumping that up because the discussion that occurred in that thread may shed some light on Jacksonville's situation.

JUDolphins
October 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM
PFL doesn't play 9 games as it eliminates another flight on every team's schedule. Each team, other than San Diego, is pretty much committed to making 3 flight trips a season. That's on top of it also creating an unbalanced schedule each year with half the league having 5 home games every year.

Model Citizen
October 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Why would a 10-1, (9-1 FCS), JU team get the bid over the Dayton Flyers with the same record? The argument that losing to App State is better than losing to Duquesne does not make sense to me.... Dayton's win over Robert Morris looks better at this point in the season the JU's win over ODU.... I think JU just has a better PR machine....

You're sticking up for your team. Good for you.

However, I'll say that JU was trailing App St by 3 midway through the third quarter. I've seen Dayton, and I've seen Jacksonville. The Dolphins have more horses this year.

SpeedkingATL
October 25th, 2010, 09:41 AM
A lot depends on how the CAA plays out. If they keep "balancing wins and losses" against each other and have 5 or even 6 teams with as many as 7 wins, how many get bids. Lots of football left and we'll just have to see how the committee rates 7 win teams in the power conferences (especially CAA) against the Dolphins. Currently I would expect the CAA to get at least 4 and possibly 5 or even 6 with the SoCon, MVFC and BSC possibly looking at 3 each. Doesn't leave many open slots even in a 20 team toruney.

Grabholdofyosef
October 25th, 2010, 09:49 AM
JU should have scheduled Dayton as their OOC game? That would have been interesting. Neither team would have had to play a lower level team and they could have settled the argument of who is better this year. I know schedules are done a few years in advance but scheduling another PFL team would be better than a lower level team.

Model Citizen
October 25th, 2010, 10:00 AM
They can't freelance the league schedule. Let's keep this discussion grounded in reality.

danefan
October 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM
A few replies...
- The Gridiron Classic is D-E-A-D. The PFL champ either gets an at-large or they are done.
- As to the question about JU's schedule...this year's schedule was done two years in advance. The non-D1 game was a two-year deal signed to make sure JU had at least five home games for the 2009 and 2010 seasons. I've talked to our AD and he's trying to avoid this in coming years.
- As for not having earned it, how can a team that goes 10-1 not earn an at-large bid? Have you watched JU play this season? If not, then you know absolutely nothing about this team and you're basing your opinion on their only losing score - which was against the #1 team in the country.
- Dayton vs. JU is tough...but in my mind, JU has owned the PFL teams while Dayton has won a few squeakers. I can't imagine JU going into the fourth quarter trailing to Campbell.

Not dead yet JU. At least the NEC thinks their second place team is playing against the PFL champ (or 2nd place team if the champ gets an At-large).

BTW - if I was Bethune Cookman I'd be hoping JU did not get an at-large. Because if they do, its almost guaranteed that JU will be travelling to BCCU (90 miles or so) and that will be a very tough game for BCCU.

WileECoyote06
October 25th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Not dead yet JU. At least the NEC thinks their second place team is playing against the PFL champ (or 2nd place team if the champ gets an At-large).

BTW - if I was Bethune Cookman I'd be hoping JU did not get an at-large. Because if they do, its almost guaranteed that JU will be travelling to BCCU (90 miles or so) and that will be a very tough game for BCCU.

it would probably be worth the sacrifice so that they can have a home game.

danefan
October 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM
it would probably be worth the sacrifice so that they can have a home game.

Which brings up another committee consideration? Does giving JU the nod over say a 7-4 CAA team make the opening round matchups easier and more importantly CHEAPER for the NCAA to figure out?

asknoquarter21
October 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM

If the winner of that game travels to Boone I am all for it

jk

Seriously though, I have JU in my poll this week. I don't think they have the schedule to get in, but as the season goes on I am seeing that JU might actually be better than some of the other teams ASU has played.

Personally I would say JU is better than Dayton just based off how they have won their games although the Robert Morris win does look better than any win JU has.

WileECoyote06
October 25th, 2010, 10:27 AM
If they winner of that game travels to Boone I am all for it

jk

I think the winner of that matchup would be more likely to travel to Jacksonville. Either trip is over 400 miles though.

WileECoyote06
October 25th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Which brings up another committee consideration? Does giving JU the nod over say a 7-4 CAA team make the opening round matchups easier and more importantly CHEAPER for the NCAA to figure out?

I think that may come into consideration this year. Five or more CAA teams is going to cause the travel restrictions to be haywire; driving the cost of the playoffs up considerably.

Big Al
October 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Teams like JU are exactly what the 20-team playoff format was made for -- give them a chance on the opening weekend. They will either be exposed as frauds or show that they're worthy of inclusion. IMO, the selection committee should give more weight to conference championships when determining at-large bids.

Big Al
October 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I think that may come into consideration this year. Five or more CAA teams is going to cause the travel restrictions to be haywire; driving the cost of the playoffs up considerably.

No conference should get almost half of their membership into the playoffs. Why do we have an autobid system if it doesn't matter for some conferences? Yes, yes, the CAA is a strong conference but if you can't place above 4th in conference play, what have you done to deserve inclusion?

I know Richmond was 3rd in the CAA the year they won the NC, I wonder if anyone has ever finished lower than 3rd in conference and gone on to win the NC?

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Teams like JU are exactly what the 20-team playoff format was made for -- give them a chance on the opening weekend. They will either be exposed as frauds or show that they're worthy of inclusion. IMO, the selection committee should give more weight to conference championships when determining at-large bids.

The 20 team playoff was to include the NEC and Big South. Jacksonville only scheduled one game this year to prove themselves and it didn't do much to help them.

MacThor
October 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
No conference should get almost half of their membership into the playoffs. Why do we have an autobid system if it doesn't matter for some conferences? Yes, yes, the CAA is a strong conference but if you can't place above 4th in conference play, what have you done to deserve inclusion?

I know Richmond was 3rd in the CAA the year they won the NC, I wonder if anyone has ever finished lower than 3rd in conference and gone on to win the NC?

Richmond was 3rd in the CAA South.

kdinva
October 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM
TSN.com thinks so, their bracket as of 10/25:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

Dane96
October 25th, 2010, 12:14 PM
TSN has proven to be a joke...and clearly they haven't paid attention to travel restrictions. Lehigh is not going to Liberty...and RMU would not be going to Chatty. It would seem more than likely that those two would face each other in their respective games.

bigchocolate
October 25th, 2010, 12:21 PM

You Nailed it! If you can't finish at least 3rd in your conference, you should stay home!!! If your league is as strong as advertised, one of those 3 will win it anyway. xsmileyclapx

FargoBison
October 25th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Massey has Jacksonville at 51 and has their schedule ranked at 105 out of 124.

But lets put them in the playoffs because they played App State close for almost three quarters and fattened up on cupcakes.

Humble Steward
October 25th, 2010, 12:56 PM
According to the power ratings, the MEAC is the worst conference in FCS. They need to bow out of the playoffs.
When that happens, the PFL will take the vacant AQ. The MoValley commissionerette finally had to apply for a PFL bid.

In the meantime, the NCAA committee can pretend they haven't been jerks for 15 years, and give the PFL an at-large bid this year, in advance of awarding them an AQ spot.

Opportunities for face saving abound.

I checked with the MEAC and they said noxnonox. But seriously, why would we bow out of the playoffs with a possible chance of two teams making the playoffs. Plus, it's too early for B-CU to even think about the playoffs yet. We have a game on Thursday. Next up: North Carolina A&T. Live on ESPNU. Like I said before, there is something special happening right now in Daytona Beach and we are not looking at the polls.xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
October 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Not really especially since the NCAA will reimburse schools, who stay within the travel party restrictions, 100% for their travel expenses. xsmiley_wix

yosef1969
October 25th, 2010, 01:58 PM
TSN has proven to be a joke...and clearly they haven't paid attention to travel restrictions. Lehigh is not going to Liberty...and RMU would not be going to Chatty. It would seem more than likely that those two would face each other in their respective games.

Yep, so many problems with that bracket it's not worth picking it apart.

Big Al
October 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Richmond was 3rd in the CAA South.

Yes, but you never played UNH or Maine. Maine definitely did not belong on the playoffs that year. Were you better than UNH? Judging by common results against UNI, I would say yes.