PDA

View Full Version : Wofford or WCU to bounce on top of the SoCon next year?

GaSouthern
February 8th, 2006, 07:02 PM
With GSU changing .... well everything. Furman dropping some big names to graduation and Appalacian doing the same, are we looking at 2003 all over again with the big three in a small slump and an underdog going to take the cake in 2006? Could it be Woffie or the very strong in 2005 WCU?!?

WCU LawCat
February 8th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I'm not trying to jump on the "Wofford is falling" bus but they do seem to be sliding. I think UTC will have a better year than Wofford. As for WCU, we should not fall off any. I do believe we will be better. We have a number of good players who sat out last season coming back. Top WR, 04 starting QB, etc. We also have transfers coming in at RB (to go with all socon rb Fudge) and QB (to compete with Clark, Swygert, and McQueeney). I don't believe the 05 starter at QB, Justin Clark, will be starting in 06. There will be a huge competition in the spring.

I believe that App is the clear cut "favorite" at this point. I think that the next 4 are cloudy. After that Wofford is the best followed by the Citadel and Elon who are still in the long rebuilding process. All three of the bottom teams have the ability to knock off contending teams. They all have proven coaches.

AppIAA
February 8th, 2006, 08:55 PM
App is not losing too much.. yes we are losing two main players in Williams and Hunter and some LBs. But our backup LBs had some strong playing time this year and showed potential, as well as Elder at QB. Murrell will need someone to compliment him on the other side of the D line, but I thinik that is the only hole we are going to replace. We still have Bettis, Touchstone, Wozeah, Murrell, Lynch, Mayfield, a lot of the O line, etc. etc...

youwouldno
February 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I think Furman will be fine in 2006. Actually both App St and Furman lose their starting QBs and best defensive player (Hunter and Freeman, respectively) but return a lot of experience as well. GSU is hard to figure but they basically have no QBs and they lose some key players on both sides of the ball.

I really don't think Wofford is in any position, personnel-wise, to be a contender. WCU, with a decent QB, could make a little noise. UTC has a lot of issues but there is undeniable talent on that squad. Elon should be better, though but how much is hard to say. I like them more than The Citadel for 2006.

catamount man
February 8th, 2006, 09:16 PM
The 2006 Catamounts will be a lot different then the 2005 version I have a funny feeling. That's not to say we'll be world beaters by a long shot. I'm just ready for spring practice and then I'll make a prediction in August. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

walliver
February 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I'm glad everybody has written us off for 2006. We usually have good years when everone writes us off.

Kevious Johnson is back on the team. There should be a dogfight in Spring Camp for the starting quarterback spot. The offense should be OK. Our main weaknesses are on the defensive line, and coming up with enough speed in the secondary to slow down Appalachian's receivers. Away games at App State and South Carolina may not be pleasent. But we play Furman at home (where the games are much closer than the ones played in Greenville, Western at home (we have never lost a SoCon game at home to Western), Citadel at home (7 straight in the series) and Chattanooga at home (only 1 SoCon loss at home).

We play at Paulson late in the year and Georgia Southern will probably have their offense working by then (whatever it happens to be). Games with Coastal and SC State are both winnable (But also both losable also). I don't know who our 11th opponent will be, but as long as it isn't Byrnes High School we should be OK.

I don't see another 8-0 conference season this year, but if ASU,GSU, and Furman beat each other up, and Western and Chattanooga can pull off a big 3 win or two, we could still be in the mix at the end of the year.

My conference prediction:
1) FU (Furman ALWAYS seems to have a great quarterback)
2) ASU (Ritchie Williams will be missed)
3) GSU (Who know what will happen here)
4) Wofford (hopefully the option will run at full speed this year)
5) WCU (will this be the year they get more than one Big 3 win)
6) UTC (Great players, not always a great team)
7) Elon (Elon football was once respected and will be again - but not this year)
8) Citadel (likely to pull a big upset during the season)

OL FU
February 9th, 2006, 07:09 AM
One thing that helps Furman this year is the schedule (In my opinion)

WCU, Chatt, GSU, Cit at home.
ASU, Woff, Elon away.

ASU tough at home (OBVIOUSLY), Wofford - games with Furman are close but Furman does well in Sparkle City.

I think you have to put ASU first. I am not sure I would agree with some that have made them the front runner for the NC game next year. It is early but I would probably go with UNH and UNI.

I think the next five could be a scramble. But I really don't expect FU to fall off much from 2005. I will repeat myself. Defense will be much better. We will not have to score 30 points per game to win.

If I had to pick I would still say the big three more than likely will stay put but WCU and Wofford have a very good shot at moving one of the three out.

I like everyone else would like to think about moving Chatt in, but I will believe it when I see it.

blueballs
February 9th, 2006, 07:33 AM
I'm glad everybody has written us off for 2006. We usually have good years when everone writes us off.

Kevious Johnson is back on the team. There should be a dogfight in Spring Camp for the starting quarterback spot. The offense should be OK. Our main weaknesses are on the defensive line, and coming up with enough speed in the secondary to slow down Appalachian's receivers. Away games at App State and South Carolina may not be pleasent. But we play Furman at home (where the games are much closer than the ones played in Greenville, Western at home (we have never lost a SoCon game at home to Western), Citadel at home (7 straight in the series) and Chattanooga at home (only 1 SoCon loss at home).

We play at Paulson late in the year and Georgia Southern will probably have their offense working by then (whatever it happens to be). Games with Coastal and SC State are both winnable (But also both losable also). I don't know who our 11th opponent will be, but as long as it isn't Byrnes High School we should be OK.

I don't see another 8-0 conference season this year, but if ASU,GSU, and Furman beat each other up, and Western and Chattanooga can pull off a big 3 win or two, we could still be in the mix at the end of the year.

My conference prediction:
1) FU (Furman ALWAYS seems to have a great quarterback)
2) ASU (Ritchie Williams will be missed)
3) GSU (Who know what will happen here)
4) Wofford (hopefully the option will run at full speed this year)
5) WCU (will this be the year they get more than one Big 3 win)
6) UTC (Great players, not always a great team)
7) Elon (Elon football was once respected and will be again - but not this year)
8) Citadel (likely to pull a big upset during the season)

I would put GSU 6th. We will probably be starting a freshman QB and our defense, which was subpar in '05, loses its entire secondary.

6-5 will be an accomplishment.

BTW, ASU is the prohibitive favorite to win the SoCon. I can see them sweeping the conference schedule.

nlwwln
February 9th, 2006, 01:25 PM
ut chatt will make strides this year and get into the playoffs, have you looked at there roster they got so much good talent on that team. The one area that must be adressed is the lines on both sides of the ball. if they can get some consistant play from those posititons watch out

OL FU
February 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
ut chatt will make strides this year and get into the playoffs, have you looked at there roster they got so much good talent on that team. The one area that must be adressed is the lines on both sides of the ball. if they can get some consistant play from those posititons watch out

I think we have all said that over the last couple of years and it still hasn't happened. Chatt was much better last year but I think for most, while we know that type of play is possible, seeing is believing. :twocents:

AppGuy04
February 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I would put GSU 6th. We will probably be starting a freshman QB and our defense, which was subpar in '05, loses its entire secondary.

6-5 will be an accomplishment.

BTW, ASU is the prohibitive favorite to win the SoCon. I can see them sweeping the conference schedule.

sweeping will be VERY tough

no matter what conference, unless its the Big South ofcourse ;)

GaSouthern
February 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM

ahmen

HaveFunKc
February 12th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Concur 100% - if App (or anyone) sweeps the SoCon in 2006, we will be enjoying the entire playoffs again from the friendly grounds of Kidd Brewer. I don't see it happening, the SoCon will have some surprises this year. Furman has the D to stop a bunch of teams. GSU may be questionable going into the season, but just like last year, expect the wave to start rolling. I got a feeling the App/GSU game will be the 'impact game of the year' for the SoCon (sort of like the Furman/GSU game last year) to determine the champ.

No offense to Woffie - UTC and Western both should pass the Terriers by this year (if not - you gotta start questioning more than the talent because it's there). The Bulldogs keep coming and trying and Elon... Well, they should get the Spirit Award again this year.

I'll say:

#1 - Appalachian
#2 - Furman
#3 - UTC
#3 - GSU
#5 - WCU
#6 - Wofford
#7 - Citadel
#8 - Elon

Depending on the OOC losses, SoCon makes it VERY difficult on the slection committee in 2006...

catamount man
February 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM
No offense to Woffie - UTC and Western both should pass the Terriers by this year (if not - you gotta start questioning more than the talent because it's there).

Both UTC & WCU beat Wofford in 2005, so I'd say that we both have already passed them. Of course with Kevious Johnson back, and both teams having to go to S'burg, 2006 will offer a tougher task. GO CATAMOUNTS!!! :beerchug:

SoCon48
February 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I think Furman will be fine in 2006. Actually both App St and Furman lose their starting QBs and best defensive player (Hunter and Freeman, respectively) but return a lot of experience as well. GSU is hard to figure but they basically have no QBs and they lose some key players on both sides of the ball.

I really don't think Wofford is in any position, personnel-wise, to be a contender. WCU, with a decent QB, could make a little noise. UTC has a lot of issues but there is undeniable talent on that squad. Elon should be better, though but how much is hard to say. I like them more than The Citadel for 2006.

If App's OL can adapt successfully to a new style QB (non scrambling), ASU will kick arse. Elsner is a top quality QB, just can't be expected to run as well nor scramble as well as Williams (although Elsner isn't the slowest in the SoCon by far). By mid-season, App should/could be in good enough form to show Furman that we weren't a one man show.

SoCon48
February 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Spot on. A monkey could be trained to coach or play in the BS. xcoffeex

HaveFunKc
February 13th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Both UTC & WCU beat Wofford in 2005, so I'd say that we both have already passed them. Of course with Kevious Johnson back, and both teams having to go to S'burg, 2006 will offer a tougher task. GO CATAMOUNTS!!! :beerchug:

No disrespect meant for the Cats or the Mocs here for what was accomplished in 2005. I think you would agree that both teams need to get past the historical challenge of winning on the road against the Terriers (1 win between the WCU and UTC @ Wofford since the Terriers joined the SoCon). I'm with you in that I believe the challenge is there, but so is the talent!

I'm looking forward to both teams stepping up this year...