PDA

View Full Version : Wofford/Elon

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Hats off to Wofford for winning a close and hard fought game. That winning TD catch was pretty amazing

How do we fumble out of your endzone on the three for a touchback in the 4th!

Refs blew a HUGE call in the first. Clearly a touchdown by Elon and ruled the pass incomplete!

Overall a pretty evenly matched game. I was very impressed with this Wofford defense.

And to wrap it all up, Elon now has three losses to the #1 team, the current #9 team and a previous #9 team. Average spread of these losses: 5.3 points xsmhx

theasushow
October 23rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hats off to Wofford for winning a close and hard fought game. That winning TD catch was pretty amazing

Refs blew a HUGE call in the first. Clearly a touchdown by Elon and ruled the pass incomplete!

Overall a pretty evenly matched game. I was very impressed with this Wofford defense.

And to wrap it all up, Elon now has three losses to the #1 team, the current #9 team and a previous #9 team. Average spread of these losses: 5.3 points xsmhx

Elon played both ASU and Wofford well and could have won either game....after playing both teams, who has the edge in the ASU-Wofford game?

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Elon played both ASU and Wofford well and could have won either game....after playing both teams, who has the edge in the ASU-Wofford game?

If the ASU/Wofford game were at Wofford, I would give them the slight edge. But this is at the Rock, so that ever so SLIGHT edge has to be given to App.

Wofford's defense is pretty darn good though......

phoenixphanatic21
October 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM

Real tough loss to take. It seems unfair for Elon to lose that way after fighting back from 21 down. It's just been that kind of year for us. Ugh. Great game Wofford. Best of luck to yall for the rest of the year.

gophoenix
October 23rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Real tough loss to take. It seems unfair for Elon to lose that way after fighting back from 21 down. It's just been that kind of year for us. Ugh. Great game Wofford. Best of luck to yall for the rest of the year.

App has the edge. Elon, UTC and maybe Furman are the only teams that play to App's weakness. Wofford plays right into App's strength.

gophoenix
October 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM

You're an Elon fan, you should be used to it. Now, 6 years after Lembo started and we sit in a spot familiar to fans from years before he started.

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
You're an Elon fan, you should be used to it. Now, 6 years after Lembo started and we sit in a spot familiar to fans from years before he started.

Come on GP, even though the record doesn't say it, we are still LIGHT years ahead of where we were coming in to the SoCon.

whoanellie
October 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
totally blown call on a diving play into the endzone , Jeffcoat is either out of bounds or scores breaking the plane. ruled a fumble and touchback
Hail-Mary by Wofford just unbelievable. gave WC way too many opportunities total fluke win for Wofford.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hats off to Elon, your defense proved me wrong, we didn't play well on offense today. The key to the game was Elon's ability to adjust to the pass rush. Wofford had 3 sacks in the first half, none in the second. Wofford has yet to play a complete game since Furman, our offense was way out of sync today even when we were leading 14-0 we weren't playing well. Our defense is playing much better than anytime in recent memory

SC-T-Dogg
October 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
total fluke win for Wofford.

Really? A fluke? How many times did Elon lead in this game? CMON MAN!

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
totally blown call on a diving play into the endzone , Jeffcoat is either out of bounds or scores breaking the plane. ruled a fumble and touchback
Hail-Mary by Wofford just unbelievable. gave WC way too many opportunities total fluke win for Wofford.

there were plenty of opportunities given on both sides

ElonPride
October 23rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Really? A fluke? How many times did Elon lead in this game? CMON MAN!

I understand what he is saying here. The guy was double covered and made and amazing catch. Nines times out of 10, that is an incomplete pass.....it just happened to be a day of odd football.

No sour grapes on my end though.

And for the record, the REFS DID NOT blow that fumble call whoanelie, he fumbled BEFORE the ball broke the plain. I was chatting with a few Wofford fans during the game on Ustream and the consensus was the real blown call was the TD pass in the first half ruled out of bounds.

Bottom line, kudos need to be given to Wofford for finding a way to win!!!!

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
I understand what he is saying here. The guy was double covered and made and amazing catch. Nines times out of 10, that is an incomplete pass.....it just happened to be a day of odd football.

No sour grapes on my end though.

And for the record, the REFS DID NOT blow that fumble call whoanelie, he fumbled BEFORE the ball broke the plain. I was chatting with a few Wofford fans during the game on Ustream and the consensus was the real blown call was the TD pass in the first half ruled out of bounds.

Bottom line, kudos need to be given to Wofford for finding a way to win!!!!

agreed, may have been called incomplete because he bobbled it or something

crabby terrier
October 24th, 2010, 12:55 AM
elon...wow! i was at the game today and feel very lucky about the win. great adjustments on d-line and o-line!!! your 8th ranked rushing-d gave our 1st ranked rushing-o complete and total hell!!! kudos to your coaches and team for their great preparation for this game! i only wish we had made some (and better) adjustments in the 2nd half. great hard fought close game. good luck the rest of the way!

phoenix3
October 24th, 2010, 05:11 AM

At least against Elon, Wofford unquestionably had the better defense. App's O is also clearly better. Since App has a strong front D line. I'd give the overall edge to App. Going into the game I expected a much stronger effort from Wofford's O. I think they were averaging over 350 yards rushing per game before our game and after a rough first half, our young defense figured their system out & pretty much shut their run game down. I don't know how the quarter by quarter stats broke down but I'm guessing that with a total rushing yardage for the game of 246, probably 160 to 175 were first half. I don't expect this to be as high scoring an affair as the Elon/App game.

phoenix3
October 24th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I've seen a lot of "blown" this and "blown" that in this thread. If anything was blown in this game it was the coverage on that 41 yard prayer with 10 seconds remaining in the game. It's easy to criticize post game, but I don't understand how a wounded duck like that is caught at any point in the game much less in the endzone with the game in the balance, with 3 defenders covering, in a game with our playoff lives on the line! Still shaking my head on that one.

ngineer
October 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I've seen a lot of "blown" this and "blown" that in this thread. If anything was blown in this game it was the coverage on that 41 yard prayer with 10 seconds remaining in the game. It's easy to criticize post game, but I don't understand how a wounded duck like that is caught at any point in the game much less in the endzone with the game in the balance, with 3 defenders covering, in a game with our playoff lives on the line! Still shaking my head on that one.

The last second "hail Marys" seem to be a plague upon Lembo. Lafayette knocked us off several years ago on last ditch desperation pass that our DB misjudged his jump and it fell into the receiver's hands on the last play.

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2010, 08:51 AM
At least against Elon, Wofford unquestionably had the better defense. App's O is also clearly better. Since App has a strong front D line. I'd give the overall edge to App. Going into the game I expected a much stronger effort from Wofford's O. I think they were averaging over 350 yards rushing per game before our game and after a rough first half, our young defense figured their system out & pretty much shut their run game down. I don't know how the quarter by quarter stats broke down but I'm guessing that with a total rushing yardage for the game of 246, probably 160 to 175 were first half. I don't expect this to be as high scoring an affair as the Elon/App game.

I thought that was an anomoly, probaby due to our inability to execute and your extra week to prepare. Our playcalling wasn't the best either

gophoenix
October 24th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Come on GP, even though the record doesn't say it, we are still LIGHT years ahead of where we were coming in to the SoCon.

We are tied with Western for the number of wins in the conference. We are firmly sitting next to last place while we have arguably the best passer and one of the best receivers. Attendance has already slumped. It is now midway through the year and we have equalled our wins for the same time of the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. Also our worst start since Paul Hamilton was running the show.

Close games only matter when you win some too against the top competition. Almost at Richmond, Almost at App and almost with Wofford don't cut it unless you pull one out. I don't care that we've played an FBS, 3 top 10 games and 1 top 25 game. Right now, we're a laughing stock again.

And for you whiners about the refs, if you don't want the refs to be part of the game, then score more points. Somehow, we're incapable of that....

Yeah, wait til next year Elon fans when Riddle is gone....... we'll be playing with Western on who is worse.

Mntneer
October 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Your playoff aspirations were almost certainly done last week. Now they are unquestionably done. Too bad because you guys are still a good team, but at some point you have to win some games.

PhoenixMan
October 24th, 2010, 11:27 AM
We are tied with Western for the number of wins in the conference. We are firmly sitting next to last place while we have arguably the best passer and one of the best receivers. Attendance has already slumped. It is now midway through the year and we have equalled our wins for the same time of the years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. Also our worst start since Paul Hamilton was running the show.

Close games only matter when you win some too against the top competition. Almost at Richmond, Almost at App and almost with Wofford don't cut it unless you pull one out. I don't care that we've played an FBS, 3 top 10 games and 1 top 25 game. Right now, we're a laughing stock again

I agree completely. It's clear that we have taken a big step backwards after taking a lot of step forward during Lembo's tenure. It comes down to this....are you OK with ALMOST winning games? According to the Lehigh folks it was the same thing there. Really good teams that were known for ALMOST winning big games. I think he can turn it around again, but I'm tired of Elon supporters acting as if Lembo has been the next coming. Has to show me that he can get it done before I will call him a great coach. ALMOST doesn't get it.

ElonPride
October 24th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I agree completely. It's clear that we have taken a big step backwards after taking a lot of step forward during Lembo's tenure. It comes down to this....are you OK with ALMOST winning games? According to the Lehigh folks it was the same thing there. Really good teams that were known for ALMOST winning big games. I think he can turn it around again, but I'm tired of Elon supporters acting as if Lembo has been the next coming. Has to show me that he can get it done before I will call him a great coach. ALMOST doesn't get it.

You're correct, almost doesn't get it. But I don't agree with you & GP and your disdain for where the program currently stands. We all knew that this year would be a tough year with the losses on D, so I don't know why you guys are all about "woe is me." If the team went through the year with NO improvement, then I may agree. But if you look, the team overall is clearly improving game by game, especially the young defense. After the GSU game, did you think we would compete with Wofford? After the first game versus Duke, did you think we would compete with ASU? Truthfully, I knew we were goign to compete this year, but would be disappointed at our record by season's end. You have fans in other threads saying things to the tune of, "They're record doesn't speak to it, but they're a really good ball team."

And to you GP, even when Riddle graduates, we have a couple good QBs waiting for their shot.

All teams have their troubles, especially at the smaller programs. Elon's feeling it, Wofford felt it last year, Richmond's feeling it this year etc......

Guys just shut it. If you want to do something, lift some weights and hit the field.

Saint3333
October 24th, 2010, 01:31 PM

You can say Lembo can't win the big one, but to state the program has taken a step backwards during Lembo time at Elon is completely false.

ngineer
October 24th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Very true. The biggest lament about Lembo was that he couldn't win the 'big one' against a real tough opponent. Late fourth quarter and OT losses to James Madison and Delaware were horribly frustrating, as well as losing too often to Lafayette. Still, Lehigh's teams were competitive and in the fight with the bigger schools that we took on. Right now, beating Harvard is as good as it gets for the Brown and White. Rome isn't built in a day, and it seems that Pete has taken Elon's program in the arena of not only respectability but growing national attention on the FCS level.

PhoenixMan
October 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM
You're correct, almost doesn't get it. But I don't agree with you & GP and your disdain for where the program currently stands. We all knew that this year would be a tough year with the losses on D, so I don't know why you guys are all about "woe is me." If the team went through the year with NO improvement, then I may agree. But if you look, the team overall is clearly improving game by game, especially the young defense. After the GSU game, did you think we would compete with Wofford? After the first game versus Duke, did you think we would compete with ASU? Truthfully, I knew we were goign to compete this year, but would be disappointed at our record by season's end. You have fans in other threads saying things to the tune of, "They're record doesn't speak to it, but they're a really good ball team."

And to you GP, even when Riddle graduates, we have a couple good QBs waiting for their shot.

All teams have their troubles, especially at the smaller programs. Elon's feeling it, Wofford felt it last year, Richmond's feeling it this year etc......

Guys just shut it. If you want to do something, lift some weights and hit the field.

My eligibility is over, so can't hit the field. Your long post answered the short question that I asked in my original post. You have made it clear that you are good with ALMOST winning games. You are happy with simply competing with, but not defeating, the teams you mentioned. Not me, but if you are OK with losing as long as it's "competitive", then you have thoroughly enjoyed this season thus far. And, by the way....no one said Lembo hasn't moved the program forward, or that he isn't the man for the job, but I think he is feeling awfully comfortable with the administration and alumni. A coach that is in the cellar of the conference shouldn't feel comfortable. It leads to complacency.

phoenix3
October 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
My eligibility is over, so can't hit the field. Your long post answered the short question that I asked in my original post. You have made it clear that you are good with ALMOST winning games. You are happy with simply competing with, but not defeating, the teams you mentioned. Not me, but if you are OK with losing as long as it's "competitive", then you have thoroughly enjoyed this season thus far. And, by the way....no one said Lembo hasn't moved the program forward, or that he isn't the man for the job, but I think he is feeling awfully comfortable with the administration and alumni. A coach that is in the cellar of the conference shouldn't feel comfortable. It leads to complacency.

Who do you suggest we hire in Lembo's place?

ElonAlum
October 25th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Hey GoPhoenix, calm down dude. This years Elon team is LIGHT years ahead of the Segraves and Hamilton eras. I WATCHED those games back then and my high school team could have beaten them! Back then we were blown out almost every single weekend. Now we are in every game until the last minutes....thats a BIG difference. Lembo is a great coach for Elon.....he recruits great STUDENT Athletes who have excelled and put Elon on the football map. EVERY coach and team has down years....and this is ours. We have had lots of injuries and a few key plays havent gone our way. To think, a few plays go our way and we could be right in the playoff picture.

So why dont you stop being a fair weather fan and support our team!

gophoenix
October 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hey GoPhoenix This years Elon team is LIGHT years ahead of the Segraves and Hamilton eras. I WATCHED those games back then and my high school team could have beaten them! Back then we were blown out almost every single weekend. Now we are in every game until the last minutes....thats a BIG difference. Lembo is a great coach for Elon.....he recruits great STUDENT Athletes who have excelled and put Elon on the football map. EVERY coach and team has down years....and this is ours. We have had lots of injuries and a few key plays havent gone our way. To think, a few plays go our way and we could be right in the playoff picture.

So why dont you stop being a fair weather fan and support our team!

2-5 at the end of the day is 2-5. Close doesn't count. So far, we have managed to lose 3 winnable games against good teams. A good team pulls one of those out. A bad team wins none of them. We haven't beaten App since before most of us were born. Does the fact that some of those games were close matter? No. And at the end of the season, it won't matter that we lost close games, the fact is, we lost them.

Lembo took a bad team and made them ok. Then took it to good status. Now, we are falling behind again. Far behind.

Those of you that are ok with that, fine. I applaud you for it. But I've been through this up and down crap since 1993. I am personally tired of it.

ElonPride
October 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM

There you go again.

If we went through this season.....WHICH EVERY SINGLE SOCON FAN KNEW WOULD BE TOUGH FOR ELON.......without improvement, then I would be thinking otherwise.

But then again, it's obvious my support and optimistic disposition for these student athletes is misplaced...just becuase you say so. xrolleyesx

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2010, 08:04 AM
2-5 at the end of the day is 2-5. Close doesn't count. So far, we have managed to lose 3 winnable games against good teams. A good team pulls one of those out. A bad team wins none of them. We haven't beaten App since before most of us were born. Does the fact that some of those games were close matter? No. And at the end of the season, it won't matter that we lost close games, the fact is, we lost them.

Lembo took a bad team and made them ok. Then took it to good status. Now, we are falling behind again. Far behind.

Those of you that are ok with that, fine. I applaud you for it. But I've been through this up and down crap since 1993. I am personally tired of it.

I'm with you GP. A lot has happened in the last 10 years at Elon. New stadium, SoCon, Div. 1...and Lembo is part of that package. Everyone is entitled to a down year. Playoffs last year was a big step, so I'll give him some slack this year. But, this attitude that he has been the be all and end all of Elon football is a farce. Let's see what he can do next year with Riddle gone. Another season like this year and we start looking....that's what the truly great programs seem to do. Otherwise, you become OK with lower rung or middle of the pack records. If you accept mediocre you will probably get it.

ElonAlum
October 25th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Sounds like you need to change your name and root for some one else then.

On a side note, we haven't been D1 for a very long time and a member of the SOCON even less.....i think were doing pretty damn good for such a short time. I know we havent beaten App since before most of us were born but we havent really been playing them since we joined the conference a few years ago so you need to get over that fact.

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2010, 08:48 AM

On a side note, we haven't been D1 for a very long time and a member of the SOCON even less.....i think were doing pretty damn good for such a short time. I know we havent beaten App since before most of us were born but we havent really been playing them since we joined the conference a few years ago so you need to get over that fact.

I don't think I will be rooting for anyone else. As a young kid I sat in the cold two years in a row and yelled my loudest as I watched Elon win back to back National Championships. As an Elon student I was there to root them on through the good and bad. As an alum I do all I can to support them. This conversation has gotten a little redundant. You are OK with mediocrity and the "well, we are better than we used to be" mantra. Are we a solid program, or a program that had a couple of good SoCon seasons, but are destined to be bottom dwellers. I refused to accept the latter, but you can if you want to.

ElonAlum
October 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Im not ok with mediocrity, I just dont like bandwagon fans. People just get this notion that we should be great every year and that just isnt how it goes. App is on top right now but that wont last forever. Just as Southern was on top when I was at Elon. Our day isnt today, but it sure will be some day.....just takes time and a little patience.

gophoenix
October 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Ok, then look at it another way. We haven't beaten App since we started playing them again. We are 0-8 against them since joining the conference. That make you feel better? Does that justify it? Everyone else, short of Samford, has beaten them in that time frame; even Western.

elon77
October 26th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I think gophoenix needs to change his name to gosomethingelse. I've seen them play 5 times in person this year, and the results haven't been what I would like for them to have been, but I ain't bailing. I can't wait for the Furman game to see them play, heck I think I'll take the train and get there a day or two early so I can take in all things great about the school I support. They are still exciting, they are still busting their butts, and unlike their record shows are a damn good football team. We just need a bigger rabbits foot, Woffy must have had two on Saturday.

OLDMAIN80
October 26th, 2010, 08:19 AM
We just need a bigger rabbits foot, Woffy must have had two on Saturday.

And a strategically placed horseshoexsmiley_wix

gophoenix
October 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I think gophoenix needs to change his name to gosomethingelse. I've seen them play 5 times in person this year, and the results haven't been what I would like for them to have been, but I ain't bailing. I can't wait for the Furman game to see them play, heck I think I'll take the train and get there a day or two early so I can take in all things great about the school I support. They are still exciting, they are still busting their butts, and unlike their record shows are a damn good football team. We just need a bigger rabbits foot, Woffy must have had two on Saturday.

Why gosomethingelse. Complaining about the results is normal. I'd rather be like schools like JMU or App who can complain about winning when a game is close. Right now, I am not sure this team can win a game.

Duke should have been better than us, but we played them close.
We beat the pants off Shaw, but they did better than they should have.
We played a good Richmond team and lost close.
We played a descent Samford team and lost close.
We played a good GSU and lost BIG.
We played a top App team and lost close.
We played a top Wofford team and lost close.

So far, what does that tell you, we play to the level of our competition, no matter what that is. That's not the mark of a good team. And I chalk all this up to lack of on the field leadership.

Wofford beat us. The refs calls, luck on the last throw doesn't matter. They beat us. We had out lowest offensive production of the season. We have underachieved for the level of talent we have. And quoting an Appy fan, "we're worthless" ... I am sick of dealing with talk like this from other fans because our idiot school and administration can't put together a string of wins season to season to save their lives.

Our culture of losing is so bad that "almost" wins are ok to us. Right now, with the way this team plays, I don't see them winning another game. I see a loss to Furman, close. A loss to Western, close. A loss to Citadel big. A loss to UTC close. Because Lembo can't motivate for a win in big games.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 26th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Our culture of losing is so bad that "almost" wins are ok to us. Right now, with the way this team plays, I don't see them winning another game. I see a loss to Furman, close. A loss to Western, close. A loss to Citadel big. A loss to UTC close. Because Lembo can't motivate for a win in big games.

I can see you beating Western and The Citadel but you could be right on UTC and Furman.

asucrutch23
October 26th, 2010, 09:13 AM

xeyebrowx

elon77
October 26th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Why gosomethingelse. Complaining about the results is normal. I'd rather be like schools like JMU or App who can complain about winning when a game is close. Right now, I am not sure this team can win a game.

Duke should have been better than us, but we played them close.
We beat the pants off Shaw, but they did better than they should have.
We played a good Richmond team and lost close.
We played a good GSU and lost BIG.
We played a top App team and lost close.
We played a top Wofford team and lost close.

So far, what does that tell you, we play to the level of our competition, no matter what that is. That's not the mark of a good team. And I chalk all this up to lack of on the field leadership.

Wofford beat us. The refs calls, luck on the last throw doesn't matter. They beat us. We had out lowest offensive production of the season. We have underachieved for the level of talent we have. And quoting an Appy fan, "we're worthless" ... I am sick of dealing with talk like this from other fans because our idiot school and administration can't put together a string of wins season to season to save their lives.

Get your facts straight Gosomethingelse, they actually beat that decent Samford team. Let's bring back Hamilton, and make his son OC, and return to loosing 50-0. What ya think?

PhoenixMan
October 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Get your facts straight Gosomethingelse, they actually beat that decent Samford team. Let's bring back Hamilton, and make his son OC, and return to loosing 50-0. What ya think?
The standard reply for anyone that questions the "greatness" of Pete Lembo. "Well, he's better than Hamiliton..." True enough. I don't think anyone has said get rid of Lembo, that would be foolish at this point. I don't know who we could get any better. However, the clock is ticking on a conference championship, or that needs to become part of the conversation. As for the rest of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if they run the table. Lembo has a knack for getting them prepared for games that don't matter.

ElonPride
October 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM

xeyebrowx

gophoenix
October 26th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Lembo has a knack for getting them prepared for games that don't matter.

That's true.... he does seem to do that.

But yes, a blowout loss to The Citadel. They are an option team and seem to be hit or miss against the run.

phoenix3
October 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
When Lembo came here prior to the 2006 season, the only thing he inherited that mildly resembled a D1 program was Rhodes stadium. Every other aspect was D2 at best. The best season we had in recent history prior to that point was the 1999 season when we played several cupcakes and surprised a very good Furman team. We found out what top level football was all about in 2003 when we joined the SoCon, and prodeeded to get our a$$es handed to us for one year under Seagraves and two years under Hamilton. Lembo began the turnaround in the same year he came here & gained some respectability. Since then our recruits, facilities and respect have soared. Lembo has worked constantly in the community. He hosts a weekly radio show, and a weekly luncheon. Plus all year he speaks at civic clubs and other events, selling the football program. Nobody, including Lambert, House, Piatt, nor Francis spend as much time outside of their specific job duties selling Elon University. He has added a level of organization to the recruiting process that you only see in the top FBS programs. And, yes, he has found time to turn around a program that hadn't seen any real success since we played in a local high school stadium. In addition, the fieldhouse that will open this December, was financed almost completely by donors who were sold by Pete Lembo.

Every team will have down years including App, Furman, Wofford and GSU. If Elon is really stupid, they will run Lembo off, & wind up having 3-5 horrible years like GSU is just now emerging from.

gophoenix
October 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM
When Lembo came here prior to the 2006 season, the only thing he inherited that mildly resembled a D1 program was Rhodes stadium. Every other aspect was D2 at best. The best season we had in recent history prior to that point was the 1999 season when we played several cupcakes and surprised a very good Furman team. We found out what top level football was all about in 2003 when we joined the SoCon, and prodeeded to get our a$$es handed to us for one year under Seagraves and two years under Hamilton. Lembo began the turnaround in the same year he came here & gained some respectability. Since then our recruits, facilities and respect have soared. Lembo has worked constantly in the community. He hosts a weekly radio show, and a weekly luncheon. Plus all year he speaks at civic clubs and other events, selling the football program. Nobody, including Lambert, House, Piatt, nor Francis spend as much time outside of their specific job duties selling Elon University. He has added a level of organization to the recruiting process that you only see in the top FBS programs. And, yes, he has found time to turn around a program that hadn't seen any real success since we played in a local high school stadium. In addition, the fieldhouse that will open this December, was financed almost completely by donors who were sold by Pete Lembo.

Every team will have down years including App, Furman, Wofford and GSU. If Elon is really stupid, they will run Lembo off, & wind up having 3-5 horrible years like GSU is just now emerging from.

That 1999 season saw us go 3-2 against ranked schools. That's not exactly the cupcake season you make it out to be. Not only that, the 7-4 season of 2000 saw us go 2-2 against ranked competition. Again, sure, some cupcakes, but not exactly like we failed to play good teams either. So, that's 5 ranked wins in two seasons.

Then we fell on our face. Winning 14 games in 5 years, less than the two year total of 1999/2000. Lembo arrived almost equalled Paul Hamilton's win total in one season.

So far, from my questimates, Lembo has won 6 top 25 games out of about 15 since coming to Elon. So that D2 Elon team won 5 top 25 games, and the now D-I Elon team wins 6 in 5 years?

Mountaineer
October 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM
xpopcornx

gophoenix
October 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM
So you do want to get Hamilton back! Did you spend too much time at the water pipe when you were in India?

How do you figure that? I made a quote on two of the Seagraves season and said in Lembo's first year he almost equalled Hamtilton's win total at Elon.... that's somehow wanting Hamilton back?

I will re-iterate. Seagraves in 1999/2000 beat almost as many ranked teams as Lembo has done in 5 seasons.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hey Ashbirds, sometimes you just have seasons like this. In 2008 GSU lost to Wofford, Elon, and App. State by a combined total of 4 points. Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles.

PhoenixMan
October 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
This is what I love. A mistype about Samford, where the point still stands, it is a close game. And the facts about the records and the performance through the seasons. And this means I want Hamilton back, means I am not a fan?

I understand not liking what I am saying here. So for those disagreeing and not ignoring, why don't you at least try to argue some counterpoints? Because so far, the things the PhoenixMan and I have said haven't been countered.

Just a couple of things...1) no one said fire Lembo; just don't act like he is doing a stellar job, because performance on the field says otherwise. 2) fumbles going into the end zone, personal fouls for unsportsmanlike, and not making plays at crucial times (like the Wofford pass at the end of the game), are commonplace at Elon. Also, losing a LOT of close games.... all point to coaching, discipline, and repetition. Overall grade for Pete at this point in his tenure at Elon....I say B-.

SpeedkingATL
October 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM
For Elon fans you must feel like you're stuck in a movie theatre watching the same bad movie over and over again.

SoCon48
October 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Its now official. I will be ignoring ALL of GoPhoenixs post from here out. You dont even know our damn record and the fact that we BEAT Samford. You obviously dont pay much attention if you dont realize that. What a JOKE

Go root for some other team already and then whine when they dont win every damn game.

OUCH!