PDA

View Full Version : #2 Delaware @ #4 William & Mary Game Thread

Fear the Bird
October 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Big story early on is not one but two goal line stands by W&M. First time UD settles for field goal, second time stuffed on 4th and goal at 1

Hens ran the ball 4 times within 2 yards - need to trust Devlin

Skjellyfetti
October 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Hens ran the ball 4 times within 2 yards - need to trust Devlin

Should be able to run it in there as well, though.

Fear the Bird
October 23rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Interesting play calls on both sides - W&M with 4th and 2 from UD 33 and call a wide sweep toss

Another defensive struggle

Fear the Bird
October 23rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Should be able to run it in there as well, though.

At some point you gotta trust your star QB

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Interesting play calls on both sides - W&M with 4th and 2 from UD 33 and call a wide sweep toss

Another defensive struggle

That's a pretty typical 4th and short play for us since we're not really strong up the middle. Usually ends very well or very bad, not much in between.

UD answers big after the stop to take the 10-3 lead on a 49 yard pass from Devlin to White. Our secondary is not playing particularly well.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
40 yard FG for the Hens to end the half. 13-3 HT.
Hens 3 and out to start 3rd Q.

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Not having a decent FG kicker is killing us. Missed 42 yarder near end of 2nd quarter plus no attempt from 40 on 4th and 8 in the 3rd makes it 13-3 instead of 13-9. Just can't seem to put it in from the red zone - a problem we've had a lot this year.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Tribe get no points after a time consuming drive. Went for it on 4th and 13 from the 28 and got 8.
Hens get the ball and go 3 and out.

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Paulus gets the hook at QB - Callahan replaces him after the first drive of the third quarter.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Looks like the move worked. Tribe go in. 13-10 UD.

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
3/3 for 52 yards and a TD on the drive, including a key audible that resulted in a 31 yard pass play on the 7 play, 70 yard drive. 3 minutes to go in the third.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 01:29 PM
13-10 Hens after 3.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 01:30 PM
20 yard FG by Perry. 16-10 UD. 10:49 to go.

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Another big stand by the Tribe D in the red zone to hold the Hens to a 22 yard FG. 16-10 Hens.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Tribe D has been excellent inside the 5. Held the Hens to short FGs and a stuff on 4th down.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Grimes on the HB option throws for a TD. Tribe up 17-16. Another CAA barnburner.

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Grimes halfback pass to Hill for a TD!!!!! Tribe up 17-16 with 6:25 to go.

Fear the Bird
October 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Tribe D has been excellent inside the 5. Held the Hens to short FGs and a stuff on 4th down.

It's tough to win games when you are inside the 5 three times and have 6 points to show for it. Time for Devlin to take the next step to elite status on this drive

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
It's tough to win games when you are inside the 5 three times and have 6 points to show for it. Time for Devlin to take the next step to elite status on this drive

Moving down the field in a hurry. Boy do I wish we'd made that FG earlier...

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
Intentional grounding on UD on 3rd and 12 from the 26. Punt away to the Tribe with 3:17 to go.

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Huge 3rd down coming up. Tribe 3rd and 5 on the 10 yard line. UD with one timeout left. Could be ballgame right here. Otherwise, UD should get good field position to come back for a FG.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Where do they find these announcers?? The 2 minute warning?

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
Tribe punt. Fair catch at Tribe 46. 2:52 to go.

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
Where do they find these announcers?? The 2 minute warning?

Just be happy you're seeing the game...amazingly I'm in Delaware right now and it's not on TV here...

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
4th and 8 for UD at the W&M 25. 0:30 to go. FG coming up from 42 yards, wind in the kicker's face.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
You must be in one of the few areas that does not have Comcast.

UD1993
October 23rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Devlin makes a sick backhand pass on 3rd down to set up the FG. Perry missed from 42. Good game W&M. 17-16 final.

bullseye44
October 23rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
You must be in one of the few areas that does not have Comcast.

Yep, my wife dragged me to a wedding in Rehoboth this weekend...can't believe my seats were empty for this one. No doubt we'll be seeing the Hens again later this year. Fantastic game to listen to, can't imagine how much fun it was to watch.

Sam Adams
October 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
Congrats to W&M on a nice win over UD today !!!

appfan2008
October 23rd, 2010, 02:11 PM
great win w&m... tough loss for ud...

OldSouth
October 23rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Congrats to Bill and Mary. Wish I could have been there to see that game.

UNH Fanboi
October 23rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Big win for W&M, that pretty much locks up a playoff spot for them and puts them in really good shape for a seed. I still think UD is the best team in FCS, but clearly the gap between them, W&M and Nova is razor thin. It looks like it may be one of those 3 teams vs. ASU in the finals.

Nebuta
October 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Good game, (possible NC match up) Ashame only one team could win. For W&M great win to kick off the 2nd half of the season. For UD, time to regroup and learn from film after a tough loss on the road.

No one is perfect in the CAA, but they are ALL battle tested for a playoff run.

MR. CHICKEN
October 23rd, 2010, 02:35 PM
Big win for W&M, that pretty much locks up a playoff spot for them and puts them in really good shape for a seed. I still think UD is the best team in FCS, but clearly the gap between them, W&M and Nova is razor thin. It looks like it may be one of those 3 teams vs. ASU in the finals.

TRIBE STILL HAS;

@ NORTH CAROLINA
@ NEW HAMPSHIRE
@ JAMES MADISON
@ HOME RICHMOND

UNH Fanboi
October 23rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
TRIBE STILL HAS;

@ NORTH CAROLINA
@ NEW HAMPSHIRE
@ JAMES MADISON
@ HOME RICHMOND

They'll be the favorite in all of those games execept UNC (which is still winnable), so I think they're pretty good for getting 1 win out of those 4 games, which is all they need

paward
October 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
You can throw the records out the window when the Spiders and Tribe play. If W&M win the CAA it would be wise not to let that game decide it.

GoCowboys68
October 23rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Watched this one on the TV and wow, what a game. Hard fought and fun to watch. Congrat W&M.

tribefan40
October 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM

Probably right, although I think a lot will come down to where games are played come playoff time. I still don't think a seed is likely for W&M, as there will probably be a loss next week at UNC and I think we're gonna drop one in the last 3.

Props to UD in this one, toughest game I've seen this year. Devlin is the real deal (I know that's not news) but it's the first time I've seen him and he was beyond impressive.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 23rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
William and Mary is the real deal. I guess now we know the Villanova game wasn't a fluke.

If both W&M and UD win out the rest of their CAA games, does the CAA title go to W&M because they won this game, or is it spread because both will have the same conference record?

molly
October 23rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
caa title is shared (everyone gets a banner: Yay!) Autobid would go to W&M in that scenario.

caribbeanhen
October 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
congrats on a great game William, and go pull off the upset against UNC next week

LeadBolt
October 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Amen, PaWard!

GoAgs72
October 24th, 2010, 12:38 PM
For those who saw the game, what do think - W&M #1 and Delaware #2 at least for this week? For me, ASU just hasn't played as tough a schedule.

Fear the Bird
October 24th, 2010, 12:41 PM
For those who saw the game, what do think - W&M #1 and Delaware #2 at least for this week? For me, ASU just hasn't played as tough a schedule.

Well I think ASU has to be given credit to this point but I have ASU, W&M, UD as my top 3. There wasn't much separating UD & W&M though that's for sure

BlueHenSinfonian
October 24th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I think the loss will bump UD down to at least #5 in the polls, but I do think that we deserve at least the #3 spot still.

If UD, W&M, and App State win out the rest of their schedules then it will go App, W&M, UD. App and W&M both have some big FBS games coming up, but I think W&M's is winnable. I'm not sure I would give App State much of a chance in the swamp.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 24th, 2010, 12:56 PM
You can throw the records out the window when the Spiders and Tribe play. If W&M win the CAA it would be wise not to let that game decide it.

xnodx

Henzone
October 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Kudos to the Tribe for being more prepared then the Blue Hens. Great atmosphere, great game and a pleasure to sit in Zable surrounded by W&M fans and chit chat with them afterwards at the Hospitality House. If only JMU had half the class of the Spiders or Bill & Mary ALL our Virginia trips would be enjoyable. I look forward to a possible rematch in the playoffs.

GreatAppSt
October 24th, 2010, 07:08 PM

xnonono2x

soccerguy315
October 24th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I dunno... luckily we get to settle it on the field. I don't vote, but I would go with ASU, W&M, and UD as my top 3. Could be ASU/W&M/UD or W&M/UD/ASU or W&M/ASU/UD... honestly I wouldn't have complaints with any of those. Delaware definitely could've won that game. If they kicked a FG and took the points each time they were inside the 5, they would've had 6 more points.

Gamecocks99
October 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM
xnonono2x

Jax State Moves up to #2, W&M #3, Delaware falls to at least #5

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Who would you like to see JSU play in the first round (no bye allowed)?

Gamecocks99
October 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Who would you like to see JSU play in the first round (no bye allowed)?

You've lost it and Yo Hens have ONE LOSS Hoss !
Yoour Blue Hens might be one of the teams playing in the first round. LOL We haven't lost a game. We're still playing by the playoff rules. I know you would like ignore Jacksonville State, But it want happen that way.

LeadBolt
October 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Yoour Blue Hens might be one of the teams playing in the first round. LOL We haven't lost a game. We're still playing by the playoff rules. I know you would like ignore Jacksonville State, But it want happen that way.

If Delaware finishes with one loss, they should definitely have a top 4 seed. You may have put 49 up against Ole Miss, but will be very fortunate to put up half that against the Blue Hens!

Fear the Bird
October 25th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Falls to at least 5? Based on what? If they fall to 5 it's not right and if they fall below 5 it's just ridiculous.

Side Judge
October 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM

I don't think anyone's ignoring JSU, not after beating an SEC team (no matter who they are). That's a statement win for FCS that we can all be proud of. Win out and yes, you'll get the bye - but help me out here, by NCAA playoff rules do you still have to bid to get a home game for the 2nd round, even if you're seeded? And regardless, weaker teams are weeded out by week 2 - you're gtd a tough game. So who do you want?

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2010, 02:04 AM

I just wanted to know who you wanted to see in the first round, and the mere thought of playing Delaware, or any other CAA team gets you foamin at the mouth in fear.
The reason I put (no bye allowed) was so that you might answer the queston as i thought you would say someting like " We aint playin in the first round hoss, We getten a buy "

so I'll ask again, Who would you like to see in your first playoff game?

HensRock
October 26th, 2010, 07:45 AM
help me out here, by NCAA playoff rules do you still have to bid to get a home game for the 2nd round, even if you're seeded?

SJ, I think this is how it works:

In any playoff matchup the higher seeded team will host as long as they guarantee the minimum bid for that round to the NCAA.

Note: In 2003, Colgate was the #4 Seed, yet played their semifinal at (unseeded) Florida Atlantic beccuase they would not guarantee the minimum for that round. (Plus I think they liked the idea of playing a December game in Florida rather than upstate NY - go figure!)

Gamecocks99
October 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM
SJ, I think this is how it works:

In any playoff matchup the higher seeded team will host as long as they guarantee the minimum bid for that round to the NCAA.

Note: In 2003, Colgate was the #4 Seed, yet played their semifinal at (unseeded) Florida Atlantic beccuase they would not guarantee the minimum for that round. (Plus I think they liked the idea of playing a December game in Florida rather than upstate NY - go figure!)

Your correct and we plan on bidding on each round. Really it is to early to answer your question. But we will take what ever route is laid out in front of us.

and the mere thought of playing Delaware, or any other CAA team gets you foamin at the mouth in fear.

Talk all the Trash you want my friend but you guys are not intimidating. In the past we have played in your back yard before. Also we have played in the ACC last year and lost in the last 30 seconds and played in the SEC this year and Won. It really does not matter who you play. I would much rather have the chance to play the the stronger teams first while our players are fresh.

Think about it we have four more weeks of regular season to play.

State Line Liquors
October 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM

How does one reply to this jumbled mess of nonsense? You must be like one of those silly Alabama, Auburn, etc windbags that call into that Paul Feinbaum radio show out of Birmingham and embarrass themselves on air with the thickheadedness. Now is not the time to gloat.

If this is the JSU fan mentality, then I'd half like to see JSU get a seed and a bye. Might be a nice comeuppance to take a beating at home, after a bye, and go one-n-done in the FCS playoffs.

Anyways....Nice win for the Tribe. Hard fought along the line of scrimmage, and well prepared to play in the 2nd half. Good return from the bye week.

Gamecocks99
October 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM
How does one reply to this jumbled mess of nonsense? You must be like one of those silly Alabama, Auburn, etc windbags that call into that Paul Feinbaum radio show out of Birmingham and embarrass themselves on air with the thickheadedness. Now is not the time to gloat.

If this is the JSU fan mentality, then I'd half like to see JSU get a seed and a bye. Might be a nice comeuppance to take a beating at home, after a bye, and go one-n-done in the FCS playoffs.

Anyways....Nice win for the Tribe. Hard fought along the line of scrimmage, and well prepared to play in the 2nd half. Good return from the bye week.

Others understood.

Your the thickheaded dumb *** that can't follow the thread.

Now is not the time to gloat

You guys are the ones Gloating!

Like I said there are 4 more weeks of ball to be played in the regular season.

we are all glad that you think that you are a legend in your own mine

State Line Liquors
October 26th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Others understood.

Your the thickheaded dumb *** that can't follow the thread.

Now is not the time to gloat

You guys are the ones Gloating!

Like I said there are 4 more weeks of ball to be played in the regular season.

we are all glad that you think that you are a legend in your own mine

Gloating?? This thread is about the UD v. W&M game. We lost. I see UD fans congratulating the Tribe and post game talking about the playoff implications.

You come in and start spouting off about Jax State's seeding. Nobody had even mentioned them until you did. Someone asks you a question about who you'd like Jax St to play and we end up getting our noses rubbed in it that we lost. AKA: You're the one who's gone off on the tangent. xrulesx You're talking nonsense Jo-Bob.