PDA

View Full Version : Drake Stadium

Bub
February 8th, 2006, 08:43 AM
More additions to Drake Stadium.

Donations Bolster Drake Stadium Renovation

DES MOINES, IOWA — A trio of contributions to Drake University totaling $2 million will cap off the $15-million revitalization of Drake Stadium.

Drake University President David Maxwell today announced the University has received two $500,000 gifts and a $1 million state grant.

Peggy Fisher, a 1970 Drake alumna, and her husband, Larry Stelter, donated $500,000 to construct a plaza and archway on 28th Street immediately west of the stadium and north of Forest Avenue.

The plaza will create an open, beautifully landscaped red brick walkway area with an arched entry serving as the front door to the grand sports facility that has been home to the Drake Relays, America’s Athletic Classic, since 1926. The arch is scheduled to be completed by Relays, although the walkway construction will be postponed until summer to avoid interfering with pedestrian traffic during the event. Plans are under way to seek additional funding for pylons on the plaza that will commemorate some of the Relays’ most famous athletes and achievements.

http://www.drakebulldogs.org/newsstory.php?nid=1139347808

The additional gift is being used to build a two story facility with concessions and new visitor locker rooms. :hyped:

Here is a link to a current web cam of the renovations(field turf, new track, refurbished seating, lights etc..

http://www.drake.edu/athletics/DrakeCam.html

colgate13
February 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM
With all that $$$ going to football, any plans to try and raise $$$ for scholarships/equivalencies?

DUPFLFan
February 8th, 2006, 09:12 AM
There is little chance of that.

The primary purpose for the renovation is to change the track to be in line with NCAA guidelines. The field is used for the Drake Relays - which is a very big deal for the school and Des Moines. The football team is just benefitting from the renovation.

If it wasn't for the relays - the field would probably remain the same.

Bub
February 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM
With all that $$$ going to football, any plans to try and raise $$$ for scholarships/equivalencies?

Honestly, I don't know. Drake was, up to 1985, a full schollie team in the Missouri Valley Conf. They were losing a lot of money and when football came back after a year hiatus schollies were gone. After this change they didn't provide academic aid, but since they started providing up to 1/2 tuition academic packages the program has improved and they feel they can compete favorably with recruiting players who might other wise walk-on at a state school or receive a partial schollie at another I-AA school or a D-II school.

And what DUPFLFAN said!

3rd Coast Tiger
February 8th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Congrats Bulldogs!

I was always impressed with the Drake Relays when I was a participant from '91-'94. I still have all my Drake Relays Champion t-shirts, watches and flags.

GO BULLDOGS!

Go...gate
February 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM
That's a nice facility - any chance of some intersectional 1-AA matchups outside the PFL?

Bub
February 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I would sure think so. LAst year we play UNI & ILSU. The year before MSU and next year UNI. I think a PL matchup would be great.

February 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I'll be at the first football game there this year!

Chi Panther
February 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM
UNI at Drake should be SWEET!!!!! :bow:

crunifan
February 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I am thinking of going to the UNI game at Drake, I've never seen the campus so it would be a cool experience. Plus, I always root for Drake when they don't play UNI of course!

Go...gate
February 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM
A Colgate - Drake matchup would be intriguing - something like our St. Mary's home-and home in 1999-2000.

Bub
February 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I agree, that would be interesting. When we get a new AD they should look in to it. By the way, Drake used to play St Mary's too.

igo4uni
February 8th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I will be in Des Moines next fall for UNI vs. Drake.