PDA

View Full Version : Presbyterian @ GA Southern

Eaglesrus
October 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
No offense to you fine North Dakota State folks, but this is really good news for us. First time we'll have six home games in several years.

STATESBORO, Ga. - Georgia Southern Athletics has announced the cancellation of the September 17, 2011 North Dakota State football game originally scheduled to be played in Fargo, N.D. The contest was added to the Eagles' schedule to fill an opening created when East Tennessee State dropped its football program. Presbyterian College will replace North Dakota State in a game to be played at Paulson Stadium on October 22nd, giving the Eagles six home games for the 2011 campaign.

biggie
October 21st, 2010, 02:40 PM
The NDSU game would probably have been much better game to see though.

Fear the Bird
October 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Was this part of a home-and-home series or just a randomly scheduled OOC game?

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
NDSU played GSU in statesboro a few years ago.

Fear the Bird
October 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
Ironic that a Furman fan responded

I guess the SoCon likes not honoring the away portion of a home-and-home? Atleast FU got money and had a good reason, but to pick up Presby at home?

Apps03
October 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM

I guess the SoCon likes not honoring the away portion of a home-and-home? Atleast FU got money and had a good reason, but to pick up Presby at home?

Yes, because the SoCon is comprised solely of GSU and Furman.

Sir William
October 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
At least FU got money and had a good reason....

Good to see a hen fan finally admit it. xwhistlex

T-Dog
October 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM

Well I hope you enjoy the return trip to South Dakota State. xwhistlex

paward
October 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
Ok, GSU homecoming will be in September next year?

Presbyterian play in so many homecoming games, they travel with their own float.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM
Well I hope you enjoy the return trip to South Dakota State. xwhistlex

Was the SDSU game the first part of a home and home? I thought it was just a random OOC game. SDSU isn't on the 2011 tentative schedule, but I don't know where I would find schedules for beyond that year. It wouldn't be bad for the Hens to travel to SDSU though, getting some travel games outside of the CAA will be good prep for potential playoff matches in the future.

elcid83
October 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Good news for GSU. Bad news for PC.

SpeedkingATL
October 22nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Happy Homecoming, Eagles!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 22nd, 2010, 08:41 AM
GSU fans and the admin are going to have to decide if they want good FCS teams on the OOC slate every year or if they want at least 6 home games every year. Kind of hard to do it both ways when you have FBS games on the schedule every year up through 2015. Either way, folks are going to complain.

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Again, it isn't about honoring an agreement. These contracts have clauses that allow teams to buy out the games. Sure, it means the other team has to find a game, but that's part of college football.

Even this year Presby dropped a game with Furman to play Wake Forest, leaving Furman without an opponent and an awkward week 1 bye. This stuff happens.

Blueandwhitefightfight
October 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
Yea, it has nothing to do with honoring an agreement. It's about $$$. Flying all the way up to NDSU would likely cost us more than it would to buy out the game and schedule PC for a home game. Especially given our attendance record this year and the past few years. The excitement is back in Statesboro and people are really supporting Monken (for obvious reasons).

NDSU did not get screwed by this, I assure you. They made out with a perfect record against GSU and in Paulson nonetheless. And now they get $$ for not having to play us. Most FCS teams would beg for the scenario to happen to them.

Meanwhile, we have 6 home games against all Division I teams and then we play Bama at the end of the season. I smell playoffs in the near future.