PDA

View Full Version : Tribe getting FieldTurf/ LB returns.

Tribe4SF
February 8th, 2006, 06:27 AM
New surface will be installed for next season.

Former all-conference LB Chris Ndubueze, has returned to school, and will practice this spring. His presence may cause some position switches, as the Tribe has a wealth of LBs, and must rebuild a defense that lost six starters to graduation.

Tribe gets FieldTurf. (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-67986sy0feb08,0,4502087.story?coll=dp-sports-local)

UNH 40
February 8th, 2006, 07:23 AM
New surface will be installed for next season.

Former all-conference LB Chris Ndubueze, has returned to school, and will practice this spring. His presence may cause some position switches, as the Tribe has a wealth of LBs, and must rebuild a defense that lost six starters to graduation.

Tribe gets FieldTurf. (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-67986sy0feb08,0,4502087.story?coll=dp-sports-local)

It is disappointing to hear that W&M is getting a new surface. When I played at UNH from 2000 to 2004 myself and my teammates all considered W&M hands down the best playing field in the conference. Personally i think that they should stick with grass, but i am old school when it comes to that topic, i hate synthetic surfaces. There is something about the smell of the grass field on game day that i love, i also loved playing in the mud and slop on days when there was poor weather. Thats football. Just my opinion.

colgate13
February 8th, 2006, 07:26 AM
His presence may cause some position switches, as the Tribe has a wealth of LBs

Want to loan Colgate a couple? :)

It's our biggest question mark IMO this fall.... :(

GannonFan
February 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I'm a grass fan too, but Field Turf is certainly a good surface as well. I didn't think W&M had any problems with their surface so I was kinda surprised to see them change.

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 08:38 AM
This announcement comes a few days after JMU announced that it will be putting in FieldTurf to replace that infamous AstroTurf for the upcoming 2006 season.

th0m
February 8th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah. 3 VA schools will get FieldTurf this season: JMU, W&M, and UVa.

UNH 40
February 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Field Turf is nice, we practice on it at UNH. But there is just something about playing football on grass that i like.

Tribe4SF
February 8th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I'm a grass fan too, but Field Turf is certainly a good surface as well. I didn't think W&M had any problems with their surface so I was kinda surprised to see them change.

Laycock and the players were extremely impressed when we played on Marshall's FieldTurf last year. As the article notes, part of the decision was based on our limited practice fields. With the new football center going up next year, the practice field will shrink even further.

The bottom line is that Jimmye wants it, and he's going to get it.

GannonFan
February 8th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Laycock and the players were extremely impressed when we played on Marshall's FieldTurf last year. As the article notes, part of the decision was based on our limited practice fields. With the new football center going up next year, the practice field will shrink even further.

The bottom line is that Jimmye wants it, and he's going to get it.

The practice field angle would seal the deal in my book - you can't expect grass to hold up if you need to practice on the same surface 5 days a week that you'll then play on come Saturday - that's just not realistic. That's easily where Field Turf wins hands down. If you don't have that dilema, then grass is a very viable option.

Ronbo
February 8th, 2006, 09:51 AM
It is disappointing to hear that W&M is getting a new surface. When I played at UNH from 2000 to 2004 myself and my teammates all considered W&M hands down the best playing field in the conference. Personally i think that they should stick with grass, but i am old school when it comes to that topic, i hate synthetic surfaces. There is something about the smell of the grass field on game day that i love, i also loved playing in the mud and slop on days when there was poor weather. Thats football. Just my opinion.

That smell is full of chemical pestisides and fertilizers. When a lawn service puts that stuff down they put up little skull and crossbones signs so parents keep the kids away.

WMTribe90
February 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM

I agree with you 100% UNH 40. WM does have the best grass surface in the conference hands down. I do understand the need for additional practice space with the new football fieldhouse going up this year. That makes sense. Still, Zable with turf just doesn't seem right. Not very "colonial". Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

carney2
February 8th, 2006, 10:16 AM
The FieldTurf, or whatever, deal was sealed here in eastern PA last October when we had 10 - 13 inches of rain (a record - by far) one Saturday in October. Both Lafayette and Lehigh played at home during the monsoon and neither game could be properly classified as football. Goodman Stadium seemed to do better than Fisher Field, but they both were a mere shadows of their former selves for the remainder of the season.

Lafayette will be installing some sort of a synthetic surface this year. I am hereby asking ngineer or any of the other Lehigh respondents what is the current status at Goodman?