PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Rankings

Sycamore51
October 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I know what the standing say, but who are the best teams in your opinion in the MVFC this year? Mine go as followed.

1) WIU: I was sure about this until last week, but I'll still keep them here because of their overall record. Plus I think they've hit a soft spot in the schedule now until the UNI game.

2) UNI: They're only 3-3 and lost a close one to SIU, but that's a rival game and it's hard to get a ton out of that. I think they're about to wake up though and run the table from here until their Nov. 20 matchup with WIU.

3) SDSU: Not sure why they started so slowly, but they seem to be back on track now.

4t) IN State: Heck of an Offense, except the WIU game. Not sure how they will play on the road from here on out though.

4t) SIU: I can see them only dropping 1 more game this year. A bad loss to SDSU at home last week dropped them back into the log jam.

4t) Ill St: Don't know what to make of them. They got destroyed in Terre Haute, then turn around and beat NDSU a week later. They are very week to week it seems.

7) NDSU: Bad 1-3 record in conference right now, but they've played 2 of the 3 top teams in my book. A win this week and I'd put them back into the log jam with the others.

8) Mo St: 1-2 in league and still have the top three teams in the leauge to play in my book. If they had beaten IN St. last week I would probably have the two switched.

9) YSU: Played well last week it seems but they have a rough couple of games coming up. They could easily drop the next three (SDSU, UNI, and Ill St. on the road) and be wishing the season were through by the time they play IN St. on Nov. 13.

This are just my thoughts, not a clue what'll happen from here on out.

MplsBison
October 19th, 2010, 03:01 PM
"They are very week to week it seems."

That's every team in the conference.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM
This is how I see things:

1. Northern Iowa: All things considered, I think UNI is the best overall team in the conference and will be on the top of the conference standings come season’s end. While they are not extremely dominant on either side of the ball, the Panthers have been the most consitant and seem to get the job done. The rivalry game loss to SIU is forgivable, and I believe they will win their impending match-up with at WIU.

2. Western Illinois: Barr is the main reason why I have WIU in this spot. He is the kind of guy that can throw the entire team on his back and lead them to victory. Regardless of the outcome of the SDSU game, I was impressed with the Leathernecks’ team as a whole when they visited Brookings. Unfortunately, WIU has to play at SIU and against UNI yet – both games could be trouble.

3. South Dakota St.: The Jacks seem to have weathered the storm, turning things around after a dismal start to the season. The loss at home to Ill. St. is an ugly blemish to resume, but that was a different SDSU team. The Rabbits have since looked like a new team are will be very dangerous in the upcoming weeks. A very difficult road game in Fargo awaits, but I don’t believe it is unrealistic for SDSU to win out.

4. Southern Illinois: Much like everyone else in the conference, the Salukis slipped up and lost a game that seemed like a surprise to everyone else. This team is obviously not nearly as talented as last year’s, but the SDSU loss should serve as a wake-up call for the remainder of the season. SIU still has to play NDSU on the road and WIU at home.

T5. Illinois State: As mentioned previously, the Redbirds have acted as the poster child for the MVFC this year – you never know what you’re going to get on any given Saturday. It seems Ill. St. has both won and lost games that they shouldn’t have. Based on their results thus far, I wouldn’t be completely surprised if they knocked either UNI or WIU on the road later this season.

T5. North Dakota St.: The Bison have dug themselves into a bit of a hole after a solid start. Luckily for NDSU, their schedule for the remainder of the season is favorable, as they host Ind. St., SDSU, and SIU. Don’t ask the Leathernecks, but the Fargo Dome is a difficult place to win at. I can see the Bison winning 2 of these 3; I’m just not sure which ones…

T7. Indiana State: Although it’s hard to forget the past, this year’s Sycamores team seems to have a completely new identity. Although they are really explosive offensively, they still have a suspect D and a very difficult schedule ahead. Ind. St. has yet to have played UNI, SIU, SDSU, and NDSU – all of which will be more difficult tasks than what they’ve seen thus far.

T7. Youngstown St.: To me, the Penguins could just as easily be ranked in the #4 or #5 spot. This team has had a chance to win almost every game they’ve played in but simply weren’t able to finish things off. Unfortunately for YSU, each game is 4 quarters long and they still have to play SDSU, UNI, and both ISU’s. I’d expect YSU to split those conference games, with each matchup being hard fought.

9. Missouri St.: Another season, and yet another disappointment for Bears fans. This team reminds me of the Dallas Cowboys – always having high expectations for improvement in the pre-season only to crap it down their legs once the ball is rolled out onto the field. The really bad news for MSU is that they still has to play all of the big boys – UNI, WIU, SIU, SDSU, and NDSU – so things may get even worse…

Western_101
October 19th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Interesting Thread.

Best to not quite as good (appears to be no real bad team this year)

1 WIU
2 SDSU
3 UNI
4 ISU(blue)
5 SIU
6 NDSU
7 ISU(red)
8 MSU*
8 YSU*

*tie

leatherneck177
October 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM
This is how I see things:

1. Northern Iowa: All things considered, I think UNI is the best overall team in the conference and will be on the top of the conference standings come season’s end. While they are not extremely dominant on either side of the ball, the Panthers have been the most consitant and seem to get the job done. The rivalry game loss to SIU is forgivable, and I believe they will win their impending match-up with at WIU.

2. Western Illinois: Barr is the main reason why I have WIU in this spot. He is the kind of guy that can throw the entire team on his back and lead them to victory. Regardless of the outcome of the SDSU game, I was impressed with the Leathernecks’ team as a whole when they visited Brookings. Unfortunately, WIU has to play at SIU and against UNI yet – both games could be trouble.

3. South Dakota St.: The Jacks seem to have weathered the storm, turning things around after a dismal start to the season. The loss at home to Ill. St. is an ugly blemish to resume, but that was a different SDSU team. The Rabbits have since looked like a new team are will be very dangerous in the upcoming weeks. A very difficult road game in Fargo awaits, but I don’t believe it is unrealistic for SDSU to win out.

4. Southern Illinois: Much like everyone else in the conference, the Salukis slipped up and lost a game that seemed like a surprise to everyone else. This team is obviously not nearly as talented as last year’s, but the SDSU loss should serve as a wake-up call for the remainder of the season. SIU still has to play NDSU on the road and WIU at home.

T5. Illinois State: As mentioned previously, the Redbirds have acted as the poster child for the MVFC this year – you never know what you’re going to get on any given Saturday. It seems Ill. St. has both won and lost games that they shouldn’t have. Based on their results thus far, I wouldn’t be completely surprised if they knocked either UNI or WIU on the road later this season.

T5. North Dakota St.: The Bison have dug themselves into a bit of a hole after a solid start. Luckily for NDSU, their schedule for the remainder of the season is favorable, as they host Ind. St., SDSU, and SIU. Don’t ask the Leathernecks, but the Fargo Dome is a difficult place to win at. I can see the Bison winning 2 of these 3; I’m just not sure which ones…

T7. Indiana State: Although it’s hard to forget the past, this year’s Sycamores team seems to have a completely new identity. Although they are really explosive offensively, they still have a suspect D and a very difficult schedule ahead. Ind. St. has yet to have played UNI, SIU, SDSU, and NDSU – all of which will be more difficult tasks than what they’ve seen thus far.

T7. Youngstown St.: To me, the Penguins could just as easily be ranked in the #4 or #5 spot. This team has had a chance to win almost every game they’ve played in but simply weren’t able to finish things off. Unfortunately for YSU, each game is 4 quarters long and they still have to play SDSU, UNI, and both ISU’s. I’d expect YSU to split those conference games, with each matchup being hard fought.

9. Missouri St.: Another season, and yet another disappointment for Bears fans. This team reminds me of the Dallas Cowboys – always having high expectations for improvement in the pre-season only to crap it down their legs once the ball is rolled out onto the field. The really bad news for MSU is that they still has to play all of the big boys – UNI, WIU, SIU, SDSU, and NDSU – so things may get even worse…

Nice analysis. I would put Youngstown ahead of Indiana State and possibly even with NDSU. I was very impressed with their offense and some of their younger talent. They are going to be a great team next year or 2012. That QB looks pretty solid too.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 20th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Nice analysis. I would put Youngstown ahead of Indiana State and possibly even with NDSU. I was very impressed with their offense and some of their younger talent. They are going to be a great team next year or 2012. That QB looks pretty solid too.

I agree... I had a hard time putting them that low to begin with! I'm suprised the others have the Penguins in last - below Missouri State even.

I think the thing to take away from all of this is that the difference between number 1 and 9 is closer than its been in a very long time!! The middle teams, if you can even refer to them as such, are essentially interchangable from week to week.

Believe it or not, I think MPLS Bison made a good point in another thread... Maybe outsiders (media, casual fans) actually have a higher regard for a conference that has a few true dominant teams and a few true bottom feeders than one that has an entire group of teams from top to bottom that can win any game on AGS. In the past few years (since we've joined), the critics have ripped the MVFC because of teams like Indiana State. Now, when there is no punching bag, we have a new image problem. Bummer...

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
People do look higher at a conference when they have a couple of dominate teams, and a couple of bottom dwellers. Look at the SEC in previous years. There would be the likes of Alabama, Florida, LSU, but then you also have teams like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Mississippi State. They still called it the best conference in the country. This year you look, and no one SEC team is dominating and they are saying it is down even though more teams have caught up to the pack.

It looks bad when your conference is like the Valley is this year. The only way I see us getting two teams in is if UNI and WIU start pulling away from the pack. If not we will be looked down upon because of how we beat up on each other, and we did not give them any reason to think we were any good outside of conference play this year.

As for the "Power Rankings" I really think Jacked_Rabbit did a good job. Really it could be WIU and UNI as 1a and 1b. Then I think SDSU has cemented themselves in 3rd so far with the way they have come on. From there on out it is anyones ballgame although I think SIU might be slightly ahead of the rest of the pack.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
People do look higher at a conference when they have a couple of dominate teams, and a couple of bottom dwellers. Look at the SEC in previous years. There would be the likes of Alabama, Florida, LSU, but then you also have teams like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Mississippi State. They still called it the best conference in the country. This year you look, and no one SEC team is dominating and they are saying it is down even though more teams have caught up to the pack.

It looks bad when your conference is like the Valley is this year. The only way I see us getting two teams in is if UNI and WIU start pulling away from the pack. If not we will be looked down upon because of how we beat up on each other, and we did not give them any reason to think we were any good outside of conference play this year.

As for the "Power Rankings" I really think Jacked_Rabbit did a good job. Really it could be WIU and UNI as 1a and 1b. Then I think SDSU has cemented themselves in 3rd so far with the way they have come on. From there on out it is anyones ballgame although I think SIU might be slightly ahead of the rest of the pack.

That's a great analogy referring to the SEC - I never gave that a thought, but it is absolutely true. I just heard the guys on PTI saying that the Pac 10 is the best conference in the nation this year... And, what do you know, you have an Oregon and a Washington St. - polar opposites!

You are also spot on with our out of conference schedule. There have been a number of embarrassing loses that have outweighed the impressive wins - NDSU over KU, for example.

Although the MVFC isn't quite as strong at the top, is it far stronger at the bottom. I firmly believe the media and other conference outsiders need to take notice of this. Bottom line - I'd put our 9 members up against the 9 from the Big Sky (in order of finish) any time, any where!

Iwuvdatrees
October 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Does it seem like every team in the conference is the third best team in the conference from the past few years???