PDA

View Full Version : JMU 2006 Scheduling "Chaos"

JMU Duke Dog
February 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Well to the outsiders it sure has been chaotic here recently with what is going on with JMU's 2006 football schedule.

Below is 100% definite:
9/2 BLOOMSBURG
9/9
9/16
9/23 NORTHEASTERN
9/30 at VMI
10/7 RHODE ISLAND (FAMILY WEEKEND)
10/14 at New Hampshire (FALL BREAK)
10/21 WILLIAM & MARY (HOMECOMING)
10/28 at Richmond
11/4 DELAWARE
11/11 at Villanova
11/18 at Towson

Marshall just announced that it will be hosting Hofstra to finalize its 2006 schedule and NOT JMU on 9/9/06. http://www.dailymail.com/news/Sports/2006020746/

Also another interesting piece of information from Appalachian State's board on the latest between them and JMU was that up until last Friday it appeared that JMU would be playing in Boone in 2006 until JMU pulled out.

Just got word that JMU backed out of a game in Boone next year on Friday of last week. The work continues... -- Brian

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON WITH JMU'S SCHEDULE?

Maybe JMU-Georgia Southern might actually happen now?

Anyone have any word about possibly playing JMU next year?

PLEASE FILL US IN! THANKS!

blukeys
February 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I don't get it. JMU has 8 games every year to which they are committed. They have to fill 3 GAMES!

This is not rocket science.

JMU Duke Dog
February 7th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I don't get it. JMU has 8 games every year to which they are committed. They have to fill 3 GAMES!

This is not rocket science.

Yeah it is getting really ridiculous. Hopefully we will end up hosting Georgia Southern on 9/9/06. Georgia Southern's AD is an alum of JMU after all.

blukeys
February 7th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah it is getting really ridiculous. Hopefully we will end up hosting Georgia Southern on 9/9/06. Georgia Southern's AD is an alum of JMU after all.

Damn doggie you just hit 1,000 posts on Sunday. Are you the next Appguy04?

JMU Duke Dog
February 7th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Damn doggie you just hit 1,000 posts on Sunday. Are you the next Appguy04?

xlolx

That Super Bowl party really launched me over the 1,000 post mark, didn't it? I have also been anxious about this JMU football schedule for next year. We always seem to have a lot of drama around it for those who follow it every offseason. Fortunately our next couple of seasons are already completely scheduled believe it or not! I am really curious to the options JMU now has for that one last nonconference opponent. It is sad to find out on the same day that both Appalachian State and Marshall fell through recently.

GaSouthern
February 7th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I really dont want to play JMU @ home this year... I want a pasty for now just until I get an idea of what kind of team we will field in 2006. We could go 15-0 or 7-4 or anything in between imo and I dont want any home losses!

GannonFan
February 8th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I gotta say, as bad as UD's AD is at least he has the schedule set through 2010. I don't understand why JMU faces these problems every year. Well, barring a big name coming down the pike, JMU's schedule will be even easier with Marshall off the list (Marshall was returning a lot from last year so that game was not going to be easy). As long as they don't schedule a DII (having one is ok, having 2 is a serious threat to playoff hopes) they should be alright.

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I gotta say, as bad as UD's AD is at least he has the schedule set through 2010. I don't understand why JMU faces these problems every year. Well, barring a big name coming down the pike, JMU's schedule will be even easier with Marshall off the list (Marshall was returning a lot from last year so that game was not going to be easy). As long as they don't schedule a DII (having one is ok, having 2 is a serious threat to playoff hopes) they should be alright.

I think having two Division II teams scheduled in the same regular season would be seen as a setback for the growth of the JMU football program even if it is the AD's fault. Fortunately JMU people will not be sharing their drama over scheduling the next two seasons after this one!

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I really dont want to play JMU @ home this year... I want a pasty for now just until I get an idea of what kind of team we will field in 2006. We could go 15-0 or 7-4 or anything in between imo and I dont want any home losses!

Would you mind if Georgia Southern plays at JMU on 9/9/06?

Tribe4SF
February 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM
This is really puzzling. The AD may be part of the problem, but you know Mickey is front and center on it. He's been clear that he does not want tough OOC games, and now JMU has painted itself into a corner. As far as I know, most I-AAs are set for next year. It's a real shame that the Dukes end up scrambling just to fill a schedule.

Linehawg
February 8th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, that's the same ol' Mickey we've come to know and love as long as I've lived in Harrisonburg. At least the chaos and confusion is predictable.

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 09:39 AM
A poster at "The Eagle's Nest" claims that JMU-GSU might still be on the table. Hopefully a deal can be worked out!

jmuroller
February 8th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I am almost sure that the scheduling chaos is due to Jeff Bournes and the other assistant AD's lack of ability to run an athletic department.

This is just scratching the surface of JMU's athletic department Except for football, every team is on a downward spiral. Most of our olympic sports are now average at best, when they used to dominate their respected conferences, and most of our high profile sports are struggling to even compete.

I'm not expecting anything out of our schedule for football, because if I do then I fully expect a letdown.

boozeANDammo
February 8th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I am almost sure that the scheduling chaos is due to Jeff Bournes and the other assistant AD's lack of ability to run an athletic department.

This is just scratching the surface of JMU's athletic department Except for football, every team is on a downward spiral. Most of our olympic sports are now average at best, when they used to dominate their respected conferences, and most of our high profile sports are struggling to even compete.

I'm not expecting anything out of our schedule for football, because if I do then I fully expect a letdown.

Mickey isn't the problem at all. Hell, he really doesn't have a say in the overall scheduling process. As we JMUers know, he was basically told to pound sand when it came to determining who we play. While JB discusses it with him, he doesn't predicate the schedule based on MM's input/objections.

I have to reluctantly agree with roller here... something ain't quite right in the ADept. :nonono2:

ChickenMan
February 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I gotta say, as bad as UD's AD is at least he has the schedule set through 2010.

The problem is and was that in the last couple of years... our AD has scheduled two A10 teams (UNH & Hofstra) as OOC opponents... :eek:

Imaginative scheduling... xidiotx

DTSpider
February 8th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I thought that part of MM's contract extension was that he'd have input in the schedule. Now, that's just what I heard down here in Richmond and since I'm not tuned completely into the JMU network I could be wrong. For all I know, MM wanted the input and it was denied, but I definitely remember MM barking about how he didn't have input and didn't want to play Tech & WVU.

This really is too bad for the football team. JMU has the facilities to compete. To keep bringing in recruits you want to offer them big games and the opportunity to play at those big stadiums. Kids don't come to a JMU type program to play D2 schools. They want to win and they want to play the best opponents (within reason). JMU is lucky that VMI is in the Big South and can schedule all three A10 VA schools every year, otherwise JMU might still have 2 openings. Considering this is the same problem as last year with the schedule something up there isn't right. I hope that JMU can fix it while they still have the ability to do so.

GannonFan
February 8th, 2006, 12:21 PM
The problem is and was that in the last couple of years... our AD has scheduled two A10 teams (UNH & Hofstra) as OOC opponents... :eek:

Imaginative scheduling... xidiotx

Imaginative? Certainly not - but at least he got it done years ago as opposed to waiting until a few months before the year. And, at least these haven't been doormat games - we actually lost to UNH and Hofstra is a quality side. I certainly think we could find teams out of the conference but we know these are good and they'll all come to Newark - just can't beat having 7 home games.

ChickenMan
February 8th, 2006, 03:10 PM
And, at least these haven't been doormat games - we actually lost to UNH and Hofstra is a quality side

and that's the problem... eight A10 league games are certainly tough enough and we don't need another tough A10 program being scheduled as an OOC opponent. A little effort and immagination may be required... but I'm sure there are some non-conference I-AA's that would be willing to play at UD... if our AD was willing to make the effort.

GannonFan
February 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
and that's the problem... eight A10 league games are certainly tough enough and we don't need another tough A10 program being scheduled as an OOC opponent. A little effort and immagination may be required... but I'm sure there are some non-conference I-AA's that would be willing to play at UD... if our AD was willing to make the effort.

If you don't want it to be a tough game then the Albany's and Holy Cross's of the world are out there. However, there's been complaining from the UD faithful about playing those types of teams. You aren't going to make everyone happy - if you played a real tough OOC schedule people would complain when it cost UD a playoff berth - you play a soft one and people moan about the low quality of teams coming in. I think making the playoffs should be the priority because then your OOC schedule becomes much better as teams in the playoffs come to Newark. I'd rather play Albany and have football in December than schedule like crazy and be watching someone else on TV in December.

ChickenMan
February 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I agree... the playoffs should be the goal and playing A10's as OOC opponents is not the way to get there. I'd much rather have Albany & Holy Cross rather than UNH & Hofstra... eight A10's are enough.

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
It looks like Georgia Southern will probably end up playing Central Connecticut State in Statesboro on 9/9/06. I have no idea who JMU will end up playing. Some are talking about Morehead State but I think it is just because of their name.

We need an athletic department miracle and SOON! : flamemad

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Another possibility could be that JMU ends up playing at Holy Cross on 9/9/06. :eyebrow:

DTSpider
February 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Any word if Bridgewater is available? I know they're historically one of the best D3 teams. JMU could play a D1, D2 & D3 in the same season (now how often has that been done?).

All joking aside, at Holy Cross isn't a real winner, but it beats only playing 10 regular season games.

Umass74
February 8th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Holy Cross---- they won't play UMass, but they'll play Delaware and JMU :confused: :confused:

Seriously, Fitton Field is/was a good place to watch a football game. I've been there many times. The Cross would sell out against BC and there was usually a good crowd for UMass.

The 46-game UMass-Holy Cross series began in 1897 and ended in 1996 (one year shy of 100 years) after Fr. Brooks gutted the Holy Cross program...

blukeys
February 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Holy Cross---- they won't play UMass, but they'll play Delaware and JMU :confused: :confused:

Seriously, Fitton Field is/was a good place to watch a football game. I've been there many times. The Cross would sell out against BC and there was usually a good crowd for UMass.

The 46-game UMass-Holy Cross series began in 1897 and ended in 1996 (one year shy of 100 years) after Fr. Brooks gutted the Holy Cross program...

From some reading on PL message boards FR. Brooks is a name invoked only in relation to the Anti-Christ. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Of Course HC and Umass should play each other. It is a Natural. :nod:

Umass74
February 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM
From some reading on PL message boards FR. Brooks is a name invoked only in relation to the Anti-Christ.

Of Course HC and Umass should play each other. It is a Natural.

Fr. Brooks-----A true dork in all senses of the word----and I say this in the light of 8 years of Catholic school and several decades as a lector in my parish.

I have a number of the game programs from the UMass-Holy Cross series. Not only did the Cross recruit very good players from the talent-rich Catholic High Schools, but just about every fourth player listed in the program was a Pre-Med, Organic Chemistry or physics major...

I'll never understand what that man was thinking : smh :

blukeys
February 8th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I'll never understand what that man was thinking : smh :

Just another child of the 60's. Athletics BAD, Professor's Union Good!

swaghook
February 8th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I believe NDSU has 9/9 open and is looking for a home game if JMU would be willing to travel.

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I believe NDSU has 9/9 open and is looking for a home game if JMU would be willing to travel.

We might have to travel. Would NDSU mind playing at JMU on 9/9/06? How many home games does NDSU have in 2006 so far?

Hansel
February 8th, 2006, 08:42 PM
We might have to travel. Would NDSU mind playing at JMU on 9/9/06? How many home games does NDSU have in 2006 so far?
we only have 4 home games so far :bawling:

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 08:50 PM
we only have 4 home games so far :bawling:

It's alright. It would be awesome to work out a series deal with NDSU for us to travel to Fargo in 2006 with you all coming down to Harrisonburg in 2008. TELL YOUR AD TO CONACT OUR AD IMMEDIATELY!

JMU's AD:
Jeff Bourne
[email protected]

JMU fans would rather see us play a quality I-AA even if on the road over a second DII school in the same season. Also this would give us six home games for 2008 and finish that twelve game regular season schedule.

JMU Duke Dog
February 8th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I just went to www.gobison.com, and it claims NDSU is hosting Northeastern on 9/9/06 instead of the reported 9/16/06. It is okay with JMU as both weekends are still open!

JMU Duke Dog
February 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Just checked JMU's message board at CAAZone. It has been announced that the final scheduled opponent will be announced during the postgame of tonight's basketball broadcast at Towson. A poster who seems to have some inside knowledge claims, "Tune in to hear the good news. If you don't like this opponent, then you don't like college football."

It looks like JMU has completed its schedule but I still have no idea who it will be. I guess I will have to wait until after tonight's men's basketball game!

:hyped:

JMU Duke Dog
February 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I just checked the Appalachian State message board. They claim that JMU will be going down to Boone on 9/9/06. I guess Appalachian State would return to JMU in 2008. I cannot wait until tonight's announcement!

blur2005
February 9th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I just checked the Appalachian State message board. They claim that JMU will be going down to Boone on 9/9/06. I guess Appalachian State would return to JMU in 2008. I cannot wait until tonight's announcement!

YAY!!!! :nod: :nod: