PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-18

JALMOND
October 19th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Three top teams playing on the road was surely going to create chaos in the Big Sky. Still two of those teams got tough wins and only one truly fell, not that winning on the road is ever easy. In pondering over the rankings, I figured out no one was going to be pleased with the outcomes. That said, here are the power rankings for this week in the Big Sky. All are my opinions only and all are open for discussion. This week (last week). Here we go.

1. Montana (2)---Maybe it wasn't the prettiest game all year nor was it the prettiest last week. But still, the Grizzlies headed to play the rising team in Portland State on the road and escaped with a last second win. After starting the year 1-2, the Grizzlies have reeled off four straight wins, some good and some not so good, but wins nonetheless and at the end, that will be good enough. This week, the games get a little tough with Northern Arizona coming to town. Will the Griz freight train continue to roll, pretty or not?

2. Montana State (1)---All year, in the face of uncertainty in the Big Sky, the Bobcats seemed to be the one team invincible to the others, having wrenched that position that Montana held in years past. Then last week, they headed down to Northern Arizona and nothing went right for the Bobcats. Unlike the other top teams in the conference, there was no time for late game magic as the game was pretty much over quickly. Maybe there is time to get back on the winning track as Northern Colorado comes to town. They need to.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---For all the top tier teams playing on the road, very few thought the Eagles would have any trouble against Northern Colorado. Then the game started and the Eagles found themselves in a dogfight that they were not planning on. Just as before, when things looked bleak, the Eagles relied on Jones to get them home and once again he delivered. Where would they be without him and how much longer can they rely on him? This week, they welcome Sacramento State to their red turf. Need a win and will Jones play.

4. Northern Arizona (5)---Sure, last week the news around Flagstaff was that the Jacks were reeling from their loss at Eastern Washington and the new top dog, Montana State, was coming to town. Seemed times had changed. Yet at the end, the Jacks were on top and on top big. Instead of the usual swoon at this stage, this big win has the Jacks believing that this could be the year. The year for a conference championship, the year for a playoff run, the year they knock off Montana in Missoula. That is their next task.

5. Sacramento State (4)---While everyone else in the conference was taking it to everyone else, the Hornets sat back and enjoyed every minute of the outcomes, having the opportunity to take the weekend off and prepare for their stretch run in the conference. The bye helped them avoid any catastrophe out there last weekend. This weekend they head up to Eastern Washington, hoping to keep the momentum generated so far.

6. Portland State (7)---After the fiasco at the end of last season, it was a pleasant surprise the Vikings were ahead of Montana in the last few seconds of the game last week. Granted, it was still Montana and, even though the kick went through the uprights, the Vikings had to appreciate the effort. Moral victories aside as the Vikings wanted the win. They get an opportunity themselves on the road this weekend, heading down to Weber State. No moral victory, just need a win.

7. Weber State (6)---While the top three teams were somewhat expected to struggle on the road, no one thought the Wildcats would have any problem against Idaho State, even though they also, were on the road. However, they could not shake Idaho State during the game and were fortunate to get out with a win. Wildcat fans probably are waiting for a breakout game and were hoping this was going to be the game, but it never materialized. Now they have to look forward to this weekend at home when Portland State comes calling.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---All indications showed that, even though the Bears were playing Eastern Washington at home, there would really be not much of a game played, yet there were the Bears fighting to the end. However, it proved that it would not be enough as Eastern Washington escaped with a win. This was a game the Bears thought they had, yet they could not contain Jones. Now, they have to go on the road themselves and head out to Montana State. They have beaten Montana State before, but that was a totally different team.

9. Idaho State (9)---With all the good teams on the road and all the not so good teams at home last week, no one really gave the Bengals any shot, even against a Weber State game that has been inconsistent most of the season. Yet, good feelings for the Bengals as they were able to stay with Weber State most of the game. For all that has happened to the Bengals this year, they have made a statement with this game that they will be competitive at least at their house. This week, a bye to try to get the same intensity on the road.

Where they are...UM, MSU and EWU pretty much equal, NAU leading a group of three others (Sac State, PSU and WSU), UNC behind, and ISU behind.

Keeper
October 19th, 2010, 06:01 AM
From what I've seen, Griz by far still has the best overall talent,
but haven't put together a complete game so far.

Wouldn't surprise me if they bagged an at-large, then roar thru the playoffs.

putter
October 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Wierd conference. we will see this weekend as NAU with Jerome have never beaten the Griz in Missoula although it has been close at times. If this team can eventually gel they have the talent to do something special.

wapiti
October 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Here is my ranking for the Big Sky this week.

1. Northern Arizona

2. Eastern Washington

3. Montana State

4. Montana

5. Sacramento State

6. Portland State

7. Weber State

8. Northern Colorado

9. Idaho State

Squealofthepig
October 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Here is my ranking for the Big Sky this week.

1. Northern Arizona

If you're right, and the Jacks come out of Missoula this weekend with a win, they'll be the odds-on favorite to win (or at least share) the Big Sky crown; one conference loss, and remaining games vs. Sac State, PSU, Weber and at Northern Colorado.

wapiti
October 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
If you're right, and the Jacks come out of Missoula this weekend with a win, they'll be the odds-on favorite to win (or at least share) the Big Sky crown; one conference loss, and remaining games vs. Sac State, PSU, Weber and at Northern Colorado.

After watching NAU dismantle MSU I had to put them first. I want to hear from some EWU fans on what they thought of NAU after their game with them.
If NAU continues playing like they did against MSU, they will win the conference and be a favorite to win the NC.

Are there any NAU fans on this board anymore?

Walkon79
October 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Three top teams playing on the road was surely going to create chaos in the Big Sky. Still two of those teams got tough wins and only one truly fell, not that winning on the road is ever easy. In pondering over the rankings, I figured out no one was going to be pleased with the outcomes. That said, here are the power rankings for this week in the Big Sky. All are my opinions only and all are open for discussion. This week (last week). Here we go.

T1. Montana (2)---Maybe it wasn't the prettiest game all year nor was it the prettiest last week. But still, the Grizzlies headed to play the rising team in Portland State on the road and escaped with a last second win. After starting the year 1-2, the Grizzlies have reeled off four straight wins, some good and some not so good, but wins nonetheless and at the end, that will be good enough. This week, the games get a little tough with Northern Arizona coming to town. Will the Griz freight train continue to roll, pretty or not?

T1. Montana State (1)---All year, in the face of uncertainty in the Big Sky, the Bobcats seemed to be the one team invincible to the others, having wrenched that position that Montana held in years past. Then last week, they headed down to Northern Arizona and nothing went right for the Bobcats. Unlike the other top teams in the conference, there was no time for late game magic as the game was pretty much over quickly. Maybe there is time to get back on the winning track as Northern Colorado comes to town. They need to.

T1. Eastern Washington (3)---For all the top tier teams playing on the road, very few thought the Eagles would have any trouble against Northern Colorado. Then the game started and the Eagles found themselves in a dogfight that they were not planning on. Just as before, when things looked bleak, the Eagles relied on Jones to get them home and once again he delivered. Where would they be without him and how much longer can they rely on him? This week, they welcome Sacramento State to their red turf. Need a win and will Jones play.

T1. Northern Arizona (5)---Sure, last week the news around Flagstaff was that the Jacks were reeling from their loss at Eastern Washington and the new top dog, Montana State, was coming to town. Seemed times had changed. Yet at the end, the Jacks were on top and on top big. Instead of the usual swoon at this stage, this big win has the Jacks believing that this could be the year. The year for a conference championship, the year for a playoff run, the year they knock off Montana in Missoula. That is their next task.

5. Sacramento State (4)---While everyone else in the conference was taking it to everyone else, the Hornets sat back and enjoyed every minute of the outcomes, having the opportunity to take the weekend off and prepare for their stretch run in the conference. The bye helped them avoid any catastrophe out there last weekend. This weekend they head up to Eastern Washington, hoping to keep the momentum generated so far.

6. Portland State (7)---After the fiasco at the end of last season, it was a pleasant surprise the Vikings were ahead of Montana in the last few seconds of the game last week. Granted, it was still Montana and, even though the kick went through the uprights, the Vikings had to appreciate the effort. Moral victories aside as the Vikings wanted the win. They get an opportunity themselves on the road this weekend, heading down to Weber State. No moral victory, just need a win.

7. Weber State (6)---While the top three teams were somewhat expected to struggle on the road, no one thought the Wildcats would have any problem against Idaho State, even though they also, were on the road. However, they could not shake Idaho State during the game and were fortunate to get out with a win. Wildcat fans probably are waiting for a breakout game and were hoping this was going to be the game, but it never materialized. Now they have to look forward to this weekend at home when Portland State comes calling.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---All indications showed that, even though the Bears were playing Eastern Washington at home, there would really be not much of a game played, yet there were the Bears fighting to the end. However, it proved that it would not be enough as Eastern Washington escaped with a win. This was a game the Bears thought they had, yet they could not contain Jones. Now, they have to go on the road themselves and head out to Montana State. They have beaten Montana State before, but that was a totally different team.

9. Idaho State (9)---With all the good teams on the road and all the not so good teams at home last week, no one really gave the Bengals any shot, even against a Weber State game that has been inconsistent most of the season. Yet, good feelings for the Bengals as they were able to stay with Weber State most of the game. For all that has happened to the Bengals this year, they have made a statement with this game that they will be competitive at least at their house. This week, a bye to try to get the same intensity on the road.

Where they are...UM, MSU and EWU pretty much equal, NAU leading a group of three others (Sac State, PSU and WSU), UNC behind, and ISU behind.

The only way to rank the top 4 right now IMO. If UM handles NAU at home this week then I think they are clearly #1 going down the stretch... Until Cat/Griz...

JALMOND
October 19th, 2010, 04:48 PM
The only way to rank the top 4 right now IMO. If UM handles NAU at home this week then I think they are clearly #1 going down the stretch... Until Cat/Griz...

I couldn't move NAU to the top. The win against MSU was great, but it was still at home and it came just after their loss at EWU. EWU struggled at UNC who is not as good as PSU, to whom the Griz had to rally to win on the road. Ironically, how it all played out with EWU and UM, if MSU would have even been close against NAU, I might have considered leaving the rankings alone this week and kept MSU #1. If the same results would have happened in the NAU/MSU game and it was at Bozeman, I might have moved the Jacks up to #1. Fun to speculate, though.

I Bleed Purple
October 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I hate my team this year.

Moreso than the 1-10 team. That team didn't have talent. This team squanders all of it.

mtjack
October 20th, 2010, 12:29 AM
dbackjon posts here on occasion, if my memory serves me well? I've been here a time or two but only recently.

NAU hasn't earned a super high ranking yet. They deserve some respect from how they've played this year but don't deserve any top 10 rankings at this point. Hell, this ranking stuff is fun but doesn't mean much til the last few weekends of the year.

JALMOND
October 20th, 2010, 12:35 AM
dbackjon posts here on occasion, if my memory serves me well? I've been here a time or two but only recently.

NAU hasn't earned a super high ranking yet. They deserve some respect from how they've played this year but don't deserve any top 10 rankings at this point. Hell, this ranking stuff is fun but doesn't mean much til the last few weekends of the year.

jon does come over here but he is usually on the other site. He has already given me heck for the lack of respect towards NAU over there. As I've said before, the home win over MSU was great, but coming just on the heels of the road loss at EWU kept me from putting the Jacks at #1 this week.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM
After watching NAU dismantle MSU I had to put them first. I want to hear from some EWU fans on what they thought of NAU after their game with them.
If NAU continues playing like they did against MSU, they will win the conference and be a favorite to win the NC.

Are there any NAU fans on this board anymore?

The key to stopping NAU is getting pressure on Herrick, which is what EWU did. MSU's depleted D-line took the pass-rush threat away for NAU, allowing Herrick time to pick them apart. NAU is a good team, but if you don't get pressure on Herrick, they're a great team. I wouldn't say NC caliber... that might be reaching a little. This weekend will tell a lot about where teams stand in the BSC and nationally.