PDA

View Full Version : SI Article and the Harbaugh Brothers

Walkon79
October 18th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Nice write-up that gave FCS some props, but they said USD won two "1-AA" national titles under Jim Harbaugh?

What??

ngineer
October 19th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Nice write-up that gave FCS some props, but they said USD won two "1-AA" national titles under Jim Harbaugh?

What??

Yeah, I saw that last night and almost choked on my drink! Tells you the depth of research some of these 'elite' sports writers do when then step out of their comfort zone.

NC Aggie
October 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM

What??

Knowing Harbaugh, he probably told them that.

Dr. Strangelove
October 21st, 2010, 11:50 PM
San Diego was awarded the Division I FCS Consensus Mid-Major Football National Championship in 2005 and 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FCS_Consensus_Mid-Major_Football_National_Championship

DetroitFlyer
October 22nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.... Too bad the rest of FCS was afraid to play USD in the playoffs those years....

ngineer
October 22nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
San Diego was awarded the Division I FCS Consensus Mid-Major Football National Championship in 2005 and 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FCS_Consensus_Mid-Major_Football_National_Championship

By whom? Furthermore, they didn't 'win' a national championship. That's only done on the field.

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
Wait -- FCS "Mid-Major?" What does that mean? I though all of FCS was Mid-Major.

danefan
October 22nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
Wait -- FCS "Mid-Major?" What does that mean? I though all of FCS was Mid-Major.

Its a formerly-used title pushed by some SIDs and the Sports Network to brand the teams forced to move up under the Dayton rule (e.g MAAC, PFL and NEC). It was dropped a couple years ago when the MAAC folded and the NEC began offering scholarships.

TSN used to award a fictional National Championship at the annual awards dinner held before the NC game in Chatty. That's probably what SI was referring to, although I'm also 1000000000% sure Harbaugh did not tell them the details.

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Its a formerly-used title pushed by some SIDs and the Sports Network to brand the teams forced to move up under the Dayton rule (e.g MAAC, PFL and NEC). It was dropped a couple years ago when the MAAC folded and the NEC began offering scholarships.

TSN used to award a fictional National Championship at the annual awards dinner held before the NC game in Chatty. That's probably what SI was referring to, although I'm also 1000000000% sure Harbaugh did not tell them the details.

Thanks. Even if Harbaugh glossed over the specifics, one would think that an SI writer would know who was the FCS champion in 2005 and 2006 - or at least question the assertion enough to check on Wikipedia or something.

I guess there guys really are paid not to know about anything beyond what the BCS pays them to know.